Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"Enough of YOU!"

Lavinia to 9,16, shoot at Carnax!
14 damage!
Lavinia gains +11 exp, +1 bow wexp!

"Wha, X-Xalrei? I, okay... I, I just wanna stop this! Maybe this... Thing..."
Taliyah scurries to 6,14, and smacks the deserter with Requiem!
A crit!
18 damage!
-5 HP
swing two!
A hit!
6 damage!
-5 HP!
"H-Hah! How do you like... Oh, Hel, why do I... Feel so tired...!?"
Taliyah gains +11 exp
Taliyah levels!
+Spd, Lck

"Back on your feet little lizard!"
Asami to 6,15, dance that lizard!
+10 EXP, Asami levels!
+Hp, Str, Mag

"R... Right... Okay!"

About to finish the job... Taliyah spots something shining, in the corner of her eye.

"S... Sorry uncle...!"
Taliyah to 9,13, swipe that red gem!
+10 exp!

"Wha-- Taliyah!? Hrraagh, you useless creature! You were supposed to kill them!"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thief that had joined them had scampered off to steal something shiny, leaving the almost dead man still alive. Typical. Can't even finish the job, give a final mercy...  A quick step forward, followed by an even quicker thrust, and the man fell, pierced through the heart. It wasn't his first kill, and these men had done little to warm sympathy, but he still had a short second of sorrow flash through him. Something had driven them to this life. Perhaps it would be better to assume that it was not the hard times brought on by all this war. But perhaps that was also just a lie he would have to tell himself to get through the upcoming trials.

"Curses! How did he-- hmph..." An unlikely sting would be bothering Agni for the time being, but no matter. He had more to worry about right now. "Get out of my sight!"

He steps forwards (to 10,17) and casts more darkness towards the unfortunate axe-wielding lizard nearest to him.

It seemed things were just about wrapped up... after Lavinia's well placed shot, the commander of these deserters seemed to be within her ability to put down at a moment's notice. Perhaps some information, then.

"You. Traitor. You will divulge everything you know about Ithraxl. Now." Nessraya barked authoritatively at the opposing commander. Hopefully he'd talk for fear of his own life... she could break his limbs and tail and try to force it out of him after defeating him, but one slip would kill him outright... far from ideal.

Agni spells well!
Two blasts!
11 damage!
Agni gains +11 exp, +2 dark wexp!
Agni levels!
+Skl/Spd

"I will? You'll have to kill me! I won't speak a word to such a useless upstart!" Carnax laughed, despite the arrow in his shoulder, blood seeping onto the ground. "That they thought appointing someone like you was a good idea will forever be beyond us! The lizardmen will not bend to a succubus, do your worst, and face defeat at the hands of Ithraxl!"

"Very well. The punishment for treason is death, Lizardman. Bend you may not, but I WILL make you kneel." Nessraya snarled as she stepped towards Carnax, her natural magic flaring as she leaped over Lavinia with the assistance of her wings. She would have to tap into her reserves to ensure that it would be enough, but... she could recover them. Pointing down at the lizardman with the gaze of an executioner, a hail of black and red arrows began to come down from the sky, like an eclipse cutting Carnax from the light of the sun. Piercing his hide, and pinning the deserter's arms, legs, and tail into the dirt as myriad black arrows skewered his frame. Landing next to the commander, Nessraya looked down at him with contempt.

"Still alive, traitor? I'd start talking, were I you." The general noted coldly, holding her hand out towards the fallen lizardman, a ball of flame already gathering at her fingers and radiating an uncomfortable heat.

Nessraya to 9,15 and hit Carnax with Black Arrow(HP)!

A deadly hail of magic!
27 damage!

"Gaghh!" Armor shattered and limbs pierced, Carnax still cackled, though he was truly on death's door. "You're, a f-fool... You, stu, stupid, upstart, you... Couldn't even k... Keep the castle, safe. Now you're... Work... Working, with, that thing? We'll, never... Ithraxl... Will... ... ..."

Nessraya gains +57 EXP!

"Ithraxl will be put down by my hand, traitor. I see you have no intention of cooperating." Nessraya replied, about to execute Carnax in a burst of flame, but- he had already stopped breathing. So be it. Dismissing her gathered flame, Nessraya allowed her projected arrows to dissipate with a hefty sigh, Carnax' corpse crumpling to the ground as it was no longer pinned in place.

"Do I really make so poor a general to have earned such ire, Lavinia?"

Lavinia could only sigh, collecting another arrow, were this to continue. "You are young, for the leader of an army. Considering the state of the war... How little we were able to do anything, it makes sense some would blame you." Vaia's armies weren't what one would consider active military, but they were full of trained men and women. Nessraya was playful, but she was not lax where it mattered. "It is no one's fault that the holy sword was as effective as it was... Were someone else in your position, I feel they would be similarly blamed. Much as you will suffer for it, it is not your fault, Nessraya..." Then there was...

"Seeing us working with Marina can't be helping, either. Then again, that is the point of this endeavor. To quiet the flames of civil war, and allow the people to see the hero has been used. Once we manage this much... Things should begin to turn around. Hopefully, at least..."

Two stabs, one kill!
The lizardman cuts back, but Marina puts him down!
+51 exp, +3 sword wexp!
Marina levels!
+Skl!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

She couldn't help but catch the words of the enemy commander, and Nessraya. Suddenly Marina's eyes opened to a bigger picture, and it pained her she didn't truly understand until seeing it now... Even here, she wasn't the only one who'd be treated like garbage because she was the Hero. Being called a 'thing' was a small insult compared to the realization. It was up for time to tell whether or not Marina would use this to continue motivating her, or knock her down again.

Charging at the lizardman alongside Carnax, she swung; a good hit, but not enough to finish him. Unfortunately, his axe was brought down, and unable to maneuver and properly escape from harm, she turned in order to at least... attempt to graze her arm and give her the opportunity to strike back. She felt an intense rush as adrenaline pumped through her, slashing again until the lizardman fell to the ground, defeated... yet another life she had to take in the name of making a difference.

She examined her arm, a shoulder pad with a hole in it was unable to protect her from the massive gash that was left on her arm... It was painful, easily one of the worst physical pains she's felt since she arrived here. However, it was nothing compared to the weight of guilt that both Nessraya and Lavinia put into her. Unintentional as it may have been, it ate at her more and more very quickly. She hoped, like Lavinia herself said, that things would be able to improve...

What could she say... What words could she try giving? She could trust Lavinia because she put her trust in her as well, but Nessraya... In all sense, she is her adviser. They would need to work better together, but Marina had no way to gauge or read how she truly felt. Relax, Marina. Maybe use this experience... Practice what you were taught,

"General Nessraya," She placed a hand on the succubus' shoulder, "Right now, it may not be the time, but later if we could... I'd like to speak with you, about... this. If that's okay with you."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"I suppose you are right... I fear things will only get more difficult, once we come across men that served with me directly. A foolish upstart, was it?" Nessraya added pensively. There was nothing for it... she had her path, and she knew it to be correct. If Ithraxl and the men at his side would oppose the restoration of Vaia over such things, then any closeness she might have had to them prior needed to be put into the ground. But for the time being, it seems Marina had overheard their little exchange... the Heroine certainly was a bleeding heart. And by Gods, a bleeding everything! That was... quite the wound.

"We may speak when we are in a less harrowing position, Marina. Now show me your wound so I might close it, bleeding that much will drive poor Lavinia feral." Nessraya chided, keeping her eyes on the lookout for any other enemies closing in, as her tail wrapped around her healing staff and pointed the end at Marina.

Eventually, after much anticipation, the blade struck flesh ... I ... feel ...

Against all hope, the blade struck again, granting that withering nexus the life it craved. ... I live ... Suddenly a bloody haze engulfed Taliyah's victim, the cursed sword quickly siphoning away every last ounce of life force it could. The body was seemingly burned as its life force transformed into something darker and more malevolent. All that was left in the wake of the dark transfer was a sizzling husk, and of course, the blade itself, which gave off that same crimson glow.

'Power ... need more ... power ...' a voice spoke directly into the girl's mind.

"I'm sure you'll learn more with time, Nessraya... Time you should have been granted." This war wasn't supposed to have come to pass, and yet... What, what was that smell? Tantalizing, like a sweet wine, and yet so very--

"Y-Yes, please take care of her, Nessraya... I shouldn't... You need to pay more attention to your surroundings, Marina. That is quite the wound." The girl had bled before... But not that much, enough for Lavinia to smell it even during the day? What a mess... What a delicious mess--

"I! I shall, go and check on our new friend. See that she is taken care of, properly. That blood need to stay inside of her..." What a powerful craving. Lavinia was lucky this was a battlefield, she could stay focused on other things.

"Wha!?"

"Huh?" Lavinia's focus was suddenly taken towards the shout of... Wait, who? And what!? "What's going on!?"

Taliyah was freaking out, having tossed the axe-- now a sword, aside, staring at it, as the weapon glowed and crackled... "Th... That thing spoke to me! In my head! What's, what... Today's just too much! Ahhhhh!" Losing it, cowering on the spot, Taliyah curled up into a ball, tail curled around front, trying to keep her safe.

"Spoke? That's, what?" It looked as though they had something new to deal with... Lavinia approached the implement, taking hold of it-- "Whoa!?" Without warning, it transformed into a bow, leaving her speechless. ... Talk, then... If you possibly can.

For this mistress of the night, the 'bow' seemed ... 'optimal.' It was something she was skilled and comfortable with, something she could fell her enemies with ... 'This form suits you. Strike quickly,' came a menacing reply from the cursed sword turned bow, 'This form will only hold for so long. You have enemies here, yes? Use this power. Strike them all down.'

Oh, he had no idea at all, it seems. His obvious nervousness was actually kind of cute, in a way. "Ah, no, looks like they've started to calm back down a little already, guess I won't be needing your help after all," Jade lightly lied again. The deception seemed good enough, at least, no outward suspicions, and the black-winged angel went off on business of his own, cleaning up a fight the little rogue who'd approached her earlier had started. True to her word, it seemed she really was against killing. Curious.

Well, there were still rascals about, and her way forward was still by no means secured. Time to continue to help clear the path. 

Jade to 4,12 shoot the sword lizard

There were a couple of other unfamiliar faces nearby now, but she'd learned her lesson, not to call out and chase after the first rarity that catches her interest. If they talked to her, that would be a different story, but for now, better focus on business.

"My enemies are defeated and I no longer have to strike anything... What exactly are you? Explain yourself, weapon, lest I turn you into scrap." A talking sword... Bow... A talking weapon. A talking weapon...? There was something... Lavinia scratched at the back of her mind, trying to remember where, just where...

Meanwhile, Jade is one heck of a sharpshooter!
That's dead!
+2 gun wexp!

"Wow! Nice shot." With that last shot from Jade, the battle seemed to be mostly over. With their commander dead the what was left of the deserters would probably turn tail and flee. If they planned to run back to Ithraxl they'd be just bolstering his forces and if they didn't they'd just be another loose end. Better to just try and remove them now then later, even if the only one she could reach was clutching a blizzard tome. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

2,10 stab

Marina merely gave a nod to Nessraya's answer, and watched Lavinia walk away. It took her a moment, but then remembered Lavinia was a vampire. Then the pain from her arm spiked, her giving a pained hiss, but the feeling soon left as her arm's wound closed up. I'll never fully understand healing magic. Or... magic at all.

"Thank you, General," Marina nodded again. Maybe with things a little less tense, she could try to lighten the mood, referring back to Lavinia's attitude. She gave a nervous laugh, "I guess yeah, I didn't think about how she'd react. I probably looked like a fancy dinner for her." Despite the rush of feelings she had about everything, even Nessraya, Marina felt she had no reason to not open up a bit. Hopefully, if anything, this would be a decent start to really be herself again.

"Less a fancy dinner, and more a decadent treat, served alongside a finely aged wine. Think a lovely cured meat and fragrant cheese." Nessraya replied, as she reached out to touch the closed wound, taking a small amount of Marina's still fresh blood on her finger, before bringing it to her own lips and licking it off.

"My oh my... Lavinia certainly needs be wary of you, indeed. Your blood is oddly sweet... I fear she might grow addicted, were she ever to get a taste." Nessraya noted, unclear whether she was teasing or not.

"Either way, you should make it a point to either wash that shirt, or dispose of it if you cannot... it would need mending were you to keep it, but it would not do to keep such distractions around... a smaller wound perhaps would not require such a measure, but you've bled into it far too much."

There was still fighting, and yet her enemies were slain? Frustrating ... a single red spark raced up the bow, from the bottom all the way to the upper nock, marking both the cursed weapon's disappointment as well as its impending return. 'Three ... two ... one ... zero.' At the end of the verbal count, in the middle of the last word, Requiem instantly regained its original form. Lavinia was left with a damaged blade in her hands, and a little bit of steam rising from the same. 'I will ... conserve what little power remains.'

After giving Lavinia enough of its own musings and a long enough pause to wonder if her question had even been heard, Requiem said, 'I am a nexus of power ... damaged ... lost ... forgotten.'