Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

A nexus of power? I have an idea, at least... I will discuss this with the group. Trying her best to ignore the comments from Nessraya and Marina, Lavinia flinched a moment as the weapon transformed back... She seemed fine, at least. It would seem it needed power? If it was in the girl's possession, but only woke when she fought... "You require life, then. Interesting... And dangerous." Lavinia had figured out who their mystery weapon was, but why he was here, that was beyond her.

With the enemy commander dead, Xalrei swings once more!
Stabbity!
27 EXP, +2 lance wexp!

Map over!

The last remaining enemy fled as he saw his chances, leaving the group alone in a sea of bodies, heavy spirits, perhaps minds, and fatigue aplenty. "Alright, we hurry on past this place. Jade, was it?" Lavinia called over to their undead acquaintance. "Is your wagon large enough to transport us? I hope that is not too much to ask, having intervened in saving you." It was pulled by Nightmares, and seemed rather formidable, as far as wagons went. Hopefully she had room... And was willing. "And you, girl."

"Hee!?" Taliyah peeked up at Lavinia, still cowering, terrified of both the spread of flesh around them, and the weapon she'd just held.

"I'll have you explain yourself, this, and what's going on around here... No harm will come to you. Thank you, for your aid."

"I... I, okay... I'll try, just... Ahh..."

"Too much, I see... Nessraya, once you're finished with Marina, please tend to her wounds. Some relief might ease her mind."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmph, run away, dog..." Agni was too busy watching the one archer they'd left unbothered back way. An arrow his way right now would be problematic.... Good thing my shirt is already red. It still would do with some cleaning later, but no point in focusing so much on it now.

"Goodness, Marina. You need to take better care of yourself as we go on..." As the holder of the holy weapon, it truly wouldn't do to see her so battered. "Don't forget your training, please." Perhaps it was her wavering resolve that was leaving her so open.

Other than that, a weird, shape-shifting weapon seemed to have been found. There was also the matter of this merchant they'd just helped, as well as the enemy deserter. "I suppose we have much to clear up before parting again..."

Edited by Xinnidy

What nice wording... Marina shook her head, but then heard the comment of her blood being, sweet? Oddly curious, she took a bit of leftover blood herself, and took a small taste. How bad could it-- "Uuugh--!" What did I expect? It tastes like what blood always did. "I'm going to just assume monsters have their... own, unique tastes." At the moment, she did have to do something about her clothing. This shirt pretty much turn her into a walking target for Lavinia to snack on, if given the chance. She sheathed her sword as she saw the last enemy flee. Opening her satchel, she got out a small knife, and sliced into her shirt sleeve up to almost the shoulder. She wouldn't be able to just remove everything covered in her blood, but she'd rather this than cause issues. Once cutting all the way through, she removed her glove from her right hand, setting it on her shoulder as she slowly, and carefully removed the sleeve.

She put the knife away and dug through her things again, grabbing her waterskin and rag. Thankfully they found a stream along the way. She wet the rag a tiny bit and used it to wipe off her arm. Her face as well, whatever happened to make it's way up there as well. She took a drink from her waterskin, and put it away, then squeezing the rag dry, putting that away as well, and finally just put back on her glove. "I think it's a little too late to keep what I'm wearing. I planned to find something else when we got to a town... In case anyone recognized who I am." That won't be a fun time.

Suddenly, Agni showed up and gave a... well, accurate criticism. "Thank you for your concern, Agni." She nodded, "I'm okay, it was just... a small mistake." Not really small, but it was the least of all her worries at the moment. If she survived a hit, that meant she could keep pushing forward, "You're right, yeah." Taking charge, she wrapped her cloak around her unsleeved arm. Not that it was warm, but it was admittedly embarrassing.

The first stop was the person in the wagon. Wow, what a nice wagon, and... it was, Nightmares, she thought Carlon told her. And the driver, what was she? A vampire? No, she looks way too actually dead to... wait, an undead! "Thank you for helping us, I hope you aren't too harmed," She seemed fine for the most part, so instead she approached the young girl they encountered, and... wow. It was almost like looking at a mirror, considering last nights events. She kneeled down to the girl, giving her a soft rub of her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

Wow, she's so young too... Just like me, Marina caught tiny bits of why she was here... Apparently the commander was her uncle? She had a small understanding of how the girl was feeling, but she couldn't imagine fighting family. Before saying anything... Marina, stop, what are you doing? She wrapped her arms around the girl, giving her a soft hug. "Shh, shhhh..." Don't just tell her to 'shhh'! Say something! "Thank you for helping us. I'm... I'm sorry we had to fight your uncle." She could almost feel how much she was panicking. Her breathing, the feeling of her heart, "Just take deep breaths, okay? Innnnn, ouuuuut..." She hoped things would work how they did with her. Maybe not as well, but she had to try something...

Well, the lizard stopped moving after she shot it. That was a success right? Certainly seemed to be. Everywhere else seemed like it had seen the highwaymen routed by the curious band that had come to her rescue as well. Time to reel back in the sense of danger and bury the fight response. Time to calm down, and get a handle on the situation.

Time for a smoke.

Nodding to herself faintly, Jade pulled out her pipe and began leisurely packing in a small helping of her current tobacco mixture into the bowl, patting it in--but not overtight, leaving it room to breathe. It was something of a calming ritual, the way routine repeated gestures can often be, whether they're brushing one's hair, or offering guests a cup of tea. Once she'd gotten everything the way she'd liked it, a small ember in place for a slow burn, she brought her wagon over to where the majority of the group seemed to be gathering, the first mouthful of smoke rolling around her tongue before she pushed it out as a small ring, hanging in the air until taken elsewhere by whatever light breeze might blow their way.

The succubus, easy to identify from appearances, was talking about wines and cheeses for some reason. Oh, poking a little fun, I see, the injured human that was the butt of the teasing left for awhile to clean up, and with that departure, the vampire archer she'd picked up earlier had come back over and brought with her a few questions.

As well as a familiar sword. Frowning, Jade tried to temper the flare of anger that came from having her trust and her assistance abused. That turned out to be the right decision, as almost immediately, the warrior turned her inquisition to another source. That sneaky turncoat, she was responsible?

"If you don't mind sharing the space with cargo, you could probably squeeze in. Depends what your standards for travel are, as well as where you're headed and any number of other things," Jade began a little dryly, unamused, her mood still not in the greatest shape. "And something tells me asking this slink of a thief won't get you the answers you're looking for. At least, not all of them."

Engaging the brakes, Jade hopped down from the driver's seat, resting her straw hat where just recently had been her place. Then, knowing, of course, that if the Nightmares got it into their minds to move, the brakes would only slow them down but a little, she first walked around to each of the two, cooed a little and scratched them under the chins, getting them comfortable with the situation and letting them know that things were fine now.  Turning back to the matter at hand, she then walked over to the vampire and held out her hand.

"That," she indicated the damaged weapon, "Is my property," to which she followed up in lower tones, "though only somewhat recently acquired." Her wish to further upbraid or accuse the little scamp that had nicked it was put to bed by the human woman from before making her return, and quickly moving to coddle her. It was a little frustrating, but... then again. Jade closed her eyes and turned her head aside.

"And what of you all? It's not everyday a group like yours can be found traveling the roads? If I'm to transport you, I'll need to know a lot more before we come to any agreement." She placed the bit of her pipe back in her mouth and stole another small puff as she awaited the reply.

Gabriela did not enjoy the battle, not one bit. All the danger and blood... And not to mention, the new allies they got looked less than trustworthy. Though she isn't one to talk on that front.

She was more concerned about the lizard-like girl they encountered. She didn't know any other details other than what she saw, and it looked like she was scared out of her wits, and Lavinia was trying to speak to her about something. Gabriela walked over. "Having trouble, Lavi? Maybe my song will help calm this girl down... Hypnotherapy is another option?" Gabriela gave a devious smile.

Carefully skirting his way around the nightmares and the wagon they pulled, Bladen joined up with the rest of the group, seemingly in the middle of discussing some sword as well as their destination. Well, most of them were. The hero was busy hugging the newest member of their group, something that Bladen could only roll his eyes at. She really was a complete and total softie, wasn't she? How she managed to fight against anyone was a mystery, much less lead an army. She had probably been a figurehead. At the front to look pretty and not do much besides that. He shook his head and instead chose to insert himself into the conversation with their new wagon friend. "Recruited already, huh? I'll leave the details explaining to those more in charge of the group, but it would be nice to have a wagon again. I'm Bladen, by the way. Didn't exactly have a chance to introduce myself when we talked earlier. So that sword is yours? Interesting looking blade, alright. Is it something you use or just transporting it for sale?"

"As you should, Marina." Nessraya replied with a chuckle, watching as Marina went to accost their newest acquisition, so to speak. Lavinia had also requested she check on the half-lizard's injuries, perhaps ease her manic behaviour. Although, it seemed to also be influenced by the strange blade Lavinia had confiscated from her. Well, she would allow the Knight to take care of that for the time being. Floating over to Taliyah, Nessraya gave the top of the girl's head a gentle boop with her staff, allowing the healing energy to flow into her. Hopefully that would calm her down a little.

"As for us, Jade Persyn, was it? We are working to rid the area of the banditry that has set in as of late, and put things back as they should be. Marina-" Nessraya began, before thinking better of it, and reaching down to pull the heroine out of her hug with Taliyah, and turning her towards the merchant.

"-is our leader at present, and should really explain the finer details. It will be good practice for her. If anything needs further explanation after that, I'm sure Lavinia or I can oblige."

Xalrei glode down from the hill she'd speared the mage from, after grabbing his wretched tome of course. While she'd rather the thing burned, honestly just holding it was making her scales crawl, she knew that it'd be a waste to do that. In the very least it could be sold for some gold next time they ran across a trader. Speaking of, she chose to land away from the undead merchant in hopes of not startling the nightmares. If they took off they'd be down a wagon. Again.

Of course, that put her nearby Marina's hug session with Taliyah, or at least what was left of it after Nessraya had removed the hero half of it. The lizard girl was clearly distraught; whether it was this being her first actual combat (likely), the first time she'd claimed the life of another (almost certainly), or just the aftermath of the battle (also likely). Although Xalrei liked to put on a tough act, and wouldn't so readily admit it, she'd been much the same after her engagement. She could understand how the lizard girl felt, at least a little. Reaching a claw out to Taliyah to take, if she wanted it, she tried to soothe her. "Hey, it'll be okay. I promise."

The tug and pull of her collar got Marina to quickly bounce back to her feet once she heard her name. She caught Xalrei also trying to comfort the half-lizard so she felt better about being pulled away. Suddenly, she was once again the center of attention, given another shot at trying to explain her situation. It will be good practice for her. And now she's given another reason to thank Nessraya for something. She gave a nod, then took a deep breath.

Okay, you can do it, 'Hero'. For the most part, everyone's watching. Lavinia's watching. Don't cry, don't panic, they'll protect you if this woman... 'Jade', tries anything.

"Right. My name's Marina Fairchild... I guess I'm better known right now as, the Hero." She choked for a moment at having to mention that part, but she shook her head, "I am on a mission from the Demon King to remove the current bandit issue from an organized group of deserters." She looked towards Nessraya and Lavinia briefly, as if waiting for a nod that she's right. Regardless, she turned back, "After we've taken care of them, we're going to Hwein to organize a trade deal with them to help repair the damage caused by my... my crusade." She nodded, "I think that's the big stuff. Everyone else," She looked around at everyone, "Has either been ordered to, or volunteered to help me along the way."

The last part then... in case it may be asked, why she's fighting for the Demon King all of a sudden, "I made the decision to surrender and help for my own reasons," One of those reasons had been made very obvious already, "I'd go into more detail but... this isn't the place." She looked around, "With all these bodies around, there's bound to be something coming out for them, or that one who escaped might bring backup." And now the safety of her group came to mind, "If we can get to at least the next town, I can discuss anything else with you that you'd like to know." She gave an assured nod.

See Hero? Not so hard.

Edited by Silver Gallade

The sword belonged to the zombie? What a mess. Lavinia stayed quiet while allowing Marina to explain herself, it would be good experience for the girl, and it wouldn't be the last time she'd have to do this. "That's the long of it... The short of it is, our next destination is Tepel, for restocking. We had our own wagon, but... We were attacked, and the horses ran off. I don't think we should have the same issue with your Nightmares, Jade." They could definitely squeeze into a wagon of this size. Perhaps Jade even had some interesting belongings that she could spare.

"It'll, b-be okay... Right?" The calming efforts of Marina, Nessraya, and Xalrei, were finally having an effect on Taliyah, who peeked up at the dragon girl and sniffled. "Okay... If a dragon says so, i-it has to be true, right? Heh..." She didn't want to get up, yet, but she would when they needed to.

Lavinia was glad their little thief was up for talking, at least. "Gabriela, so long as we can talk over it, sing as you wish... But no mind control. Ever." Hopefully that was made clear to the siren, the last thing they needed was something like that driving wedges of trust between them all.

"As for this weapon, Jade... I'm going to have to ask to take it off of your hands. I'll pay you, if I must, but this is... Not some mere magical weapon to be tossed between merchants." Lavinia sighed and held the sword straight out in front of her, inspecting it once again... What she was expecting was present in the center of the blade. "This belonged to the Demon King. The last one. The Queen was using it, during the hero's assault... It was damaged, and she was defeated. How it's managed to leave the castle, and end up in your hands, I do not know. In any case... It is royal property, so if you do demand a price, I'll see to it that it's adequate." Lavinia hadn't ever heard of the sword speaking, though... What odd sort of weapon was this?

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

The fallen angel had circled round, keeping wide berth of her 'mares, Jade noted with some amusement, before introducing himself. He plainly stated that he wasn't one of the movers or shakers of this odd assortment of characters, so she couldn't really give him too much attention, if the others answered quickly, which was rather likely. But she also couldn't exactly ignore him either.

"Well, 'recruited' is a little... premature, perhaps, but it's not unlikely," she smiled as she dodged a firm answer, which would only weaken her bargaining position. When the succubus came by and addressed her by name, she nodded, and gave a little flourish with one hand, indicating that, yes, this was her, which answered both the monster's explicit question, as well as the man's implied one.

"Correct, and correct," Jade added in verbally, as she looked from one to the other, also hitting upon the sword ownership issue. "And well, swords aren't exactly my weapon of choice, but it was an interesting specimen, so..." The vampire, currently holding it, looked a little... displeased? But she held her tongue for the moment, leaving Jade's curiosity to fester until it eventually got addressed.

Though, the words that came from company's leader were certainly intriguing enough to bury the matter of the sword for the moment, to the very back of her mind.

The Hero? Jade's eyebrows raised, and her pupils widened. Ordinarily they were small enough to be easily missed in the muddy brown of her irises, which was oddly disconcerting for some people, but when something truly took her interest and required a better look, they opened up to pull in more light, just like everyone else's. But unlike everyone else's, this allowed light to flow back out as well, courtesy of the magic than animated her. Murky green flames they looked like, and that sometimes gave rise to the mistaken impression she was angry. Not the case--If she were truly in a rage, the flames would shrink to blazing red points, far removed from the broad wandering wisps currently on display.

"The Hero?" she echoed her inner thought, "Working for the Demon King? I thought you were the Church's figurehead." But, anticipating her question, this Marina quickly moved to explain. Well, drips and drops, at least, but the full course was being deferred on account of danger. ...Not altogether unwise.

"The next town..." Jade mused, answered shortly by the vampire chiming in. Tepel was the wrong direction, the way she had come. But maybe this would be worth an exception? With members in direct connection to the king, well, sometimes networking is worth more than money can buy. And it was for this reason too that she refrained from any outburst, merely drawing her lips into a slight frown when informed the sword would be confiscated, with compensation.

A few moments, and a nod. "I understand your claim. If true, I won't ask for anything above cost, but for now all I have is your word on this, opposed with that of the man who sold it to me as 'a cursed sword that steals luck from your future to empower your present'. I'm sure it will be easy for you to prove as we ride along together, if you'd be willing to sit front and expl--" actually, that was not the best idea. "Nevermind... it can wait till night falls. You'd be better served the travel on the inside wouldn't you, covered from the sun. My apologies. You may hold onto it until we stop for the evening."

"She WAS the Church's figurehead... until she realized what a load of bollocks they had been feeding her. Now she is to make things right, the best she can at any rate. Good job, little hero." Nessraya chimed in, floating past Marina, her tail giving the poor girl an encouraging smack on the rear in passing. Making her way to Lavinia, the succubus placed her chin on the vampire's shoulder, looking at the blade she held.

"So this is Requiem, is it? I've heard tell of it, but to think I'd ever see it in person... quite the intriguing little piece. I wonder what could be gleaned, studying it..." Nessraya mused, having to float a little bit higher in order to properly hang off of Lavinia's taller frame. Moving up to the vampire's ear, Nessraya began to give Lavinia a gentle whisper.

"Mmm, going on almost two days now, and all this fighting... you lost a good deal of blood yourself yesterday. You must be famished, Lavinia... would you wish take a moment aside to feast in private, or are you comfortable enough in the wagon, hmm?" Nessraya inquired, lazily leaning into Lavinia rather than exert extra effort with her wings.

They'd be gaining a couple new companions now, a merchant of sorts and a deserter... from the deserter forces. Both monsters. Drawing a sigh, Agni kept a judging gaze, glancing from one towards the other, his frown notably less stern towards the merchant --one could assume it was the strong sunlight bothering him, even--. "You could say the Hero is looking for answers. She's a charitable enough soul to listen." Despite how unwelcoming the 'Demon King' was. Agni understood he had to reel back his opinions, so he withheld further comments.

"I'm still in need of healing, if any of you would be so kind." Agni took a step back, side-eyeing Lavinia and Nessraya. What were they talking about that they couldn't tend to the last injured?

A cursed sword... People would see it that way, wouldn't they? "It steals something, but not your luck. I'll explain, and reimburse you as you see fit. Thank you, for the offer of your wagon." Lavinia gave a short bow before Nessraya floated her way over to bother her, gently sighing. "So long as that's all you want," she nearly bit out, knowing Nessraya probably wanted a bit more than just offering up her neck. If she did, Lavinia could find another vein to pierce. "In private, if at all..." Speaking of blood.

"O-Oh, Agni... My apologies. Uhm... Right." Perhaps it was the tone, she hadn't expected him to be so demanding, hurt as he was. Staff out, she aimed it towards what appeared to have been an arrow wound, hoping it would close up just right. "That should take care of you... Everyone, I don't suppose you all mind riding on miss Persyn's wagon? If not, pile on... We still have a bit of a trip ahead of us." They would likely have to make camp, again, after the afternoon and evening's travel. Hopefully their troubles were behind them, at least. A wagon with a single rider made a tempting target... With so many bodies inside, and weapons visible, even if they came upon another group like this, they would likely hold back for easier prey.

Seeing as Lavinia would be explaining the weapon to Jade, she took a moment to step onto the wagon, sitting next to where she presumed Jade would be driving from. "All aboard, I suppose?"

The focus of the merchant had quickly shifted away and so he quietly listened as she and Lavinia discussed the sword's origins. Seemingly it was the former Queen's sword, stolen or sold down a path that eventually led it here. Requiem. A fitting name for such a weapon, that looked like it would leave only death in its path. His hand itched to try a weapon such as that, to see how it could help him do more than what little he had managed this fight.

But such dreams were quickly shelved as the call to board the wagon came. As interesting as the sword was, there was a time and a place. For now... He balked at the idea of cramming into the wagon with Jade's goods as well as all the others in their group and only saw one real alternative. He crouched, concentrated, and then jumped, praying his wings would be more cooperative than usual. Thankfully, they burst out into their full length, carrying him up onto the top of the wagon, where he settled in, before allowing them to shrink back down. "I'll keep an eye out from up here. Always better to have a watch that can see all the surrounding area than not."

"...Tepel? I thought we were restocking in Aensbrook?" She knew better than to question Lavinia about something, but this was a moment where she was confused about their actual destination, "Never mind, I can figure that out another time," Instead she listened again to Lavinia, briefly turning back as she noticed the half-lizard speak. She mouthed a 'thank you,' to Xalrei before turning back to the discussion between her, Jade, and Lavinia.

Marina would've addressed Gabriela but of course Lavinia had that base already covered. Instead, Marina could focus on the discussion of the strange sword Jade possessed. The Demon King's sword. Essentially, the demon version of Myrithali. Of course, that wasn't the part Marina thought about. There was a soft, almost inaudible, "Thesephine's mother..." She shook her head, dismissing any thought after that. That wasn't you, Marina. Don't worry too much on that. She instead soaked up the rest of the details, thinking at least... if they lost this sword once, at least it was back in the demons' hands again.

"I guess figurehead would be pretty on the nose, if a bit of an understatement," She simply replied, not going into too much detail, suddenly hearing Nessraya's voice suddenly get close as she floated by. Followed by a smacking feeling as she yelped, her face going a little red, "Y-yeah, t-thank you General," and she watched as she approached Lavinia. Marina could examine Requiem some other time, it was much more important to them.

Just then, she caught Agni on his way to the gathering. Unfortunately, she didn't really know how to respond to his comment, specifically. It was... well, a very basic explanation, she supposed. It didn't bother her enough for her to build on his answer. She could give Jade the information she wanted when they were safer. Seeing Lavinia heal Agni then board the wagon, Marina nodded, "Sounds like a sound idea," She replied, as she stepped into the wagon herself, stationing herself as close to the front as possible. "Thank you... Jade, right?"

"I will never understand why you are so frightened by the idea of laying with me, Lavinia, but I know better than to force anything." Nessraya replied with a pout... if the knight wanted privacy for her meal, it would need wait until after their ride in the wagon, if she was boarding already. Letting out a quick sigh before giving Marina a wink in reply to her embarrassed thank you, Nessraya boarded their new ride with little delay... not much reason to stick around here.

"Please, General is so impersonal. There's no better way to strain an extended relationship than with titles, Marina."

Xalrei smiled down at Taliyah, glad to have helped soothe the lizardgirl's panic; admittedly, being recognized as a dragon, and respected for it, had boosted her ego a bit as well. At Marina's silent thanks she blinked, caught between the sudden awkwardness of unsurprise and surprise. As was becoming habit, she brushed it off without any acknowledgment towards the former hero. Of course, wherever she was around Agni was quick to appear as well... She stifled a sigh of her own as she saw him approach, but otherwise kept her attention on the topic of the mysterious sword. Apparently, it was the former King's sword, though now damaged and having lost its former glory. That made it Thesephine's by right, then.

With everything seemingly settled, for now at least, it looked like they were all ready to go. People were already beginning to pile into the wagon, with the exception of the fallen instead perching on top of their ride. "Heh." That gave her a small kick, an amused smirk forming on her face. There was still the matter of Taliyah, however, the lizardgirl still at her feet. She extended a claw for her to grab. "Hey, looks like we're rolling out. Can you stand? If you can't I'll give you a lift." 

''Look, i'm sure she can walk by herself, she fought with all her might earlier right? Acting dramatic and incapable is MY thing.'' Admittedly Gabriela was a bit annoyed by everyone swarming around Taliyah like she was some poor, lost child who couldn't even walk properly. Expecting some sort of angry response from Xalrei, Gabriela flew on top of the wagon, just like Bladen, where the little Dragonewt couldn't reach her... hopefully. Her white wings were tired too, just like every other part of her body, and sitting atop the wagon would surely help her relax. ''Your wings are pretty nice, Bladie. It's nice to have another feathered friend.'' Gabriela gave an innocent laugh as she sat down. ''Oh yes, we haven't been properly introduced right? If you haven't heard yet, i'm Gabriela. Charmed, i'm sure.''

"Thank you, Lavinia." Agni breathed a sigh of relief as healing magic worked its way through his body, "You do a good job, your reliability is welcome." Maybe it was a compliment, or criticism towards everybody else. Maybe it was just nothing, simply the way Agni was. It didn't matter terribly, he picked his bearing shortly after, keeping pace with the topics of interest was fairly natural. "A new wagon would be a blessing... well met, Miss Persyn." He looked up towards the undead woman, giving a nod. Whether cramped inside or not, it was far superior to walking such distances. "To our next stop, then." Excusing himself, Agni hopped into the wagon, but not without a final glance towards Nessraya.

She'd do well not getting too comfy with Marina.

The succubus confirmed the hero's story, and got in some good teasing as well. What a strangely relaxed attitude for someone presumably handpicked for this mission by the demon king. At least the vampire seemed to be angled more on a 'down to business' bent, probably was the ranking member. Which was probably good thing for Jade, as it seemed they might be building a good connection already, if things continued along. The other human, the non-Hero, butted in with a request for healing, which wasn't in her wheelhouse, but didn't stop the merchant from sizing him up a little. The man seemed dressed to impress, and had a bit of a feel of being the type that expected things to get done when he wanted them to be. Probably nobleborn? Interesting, tuck that away.

People began the process of embarking onto her wagon then, and Jade followed them as they did, making sure nobody disturbed the Nightmares, or made a mess of anything. When the fallen angel jumped up to the roof of the wagon, it gave her a bit of a surprise, though it perhaps shouldn't have. Wings and all. Narrowing her eyes a bit, she looked a little put off, but not enough to actually raise a fuss. "Well, so long as you don't kick me in the back of the head or anything, I suppose that's fine," came out in something louder than a mutter, yet softer than a grumble.

The Hero's thanks was a bit odd, and premature perhaps. This wasn't exactly just goodness of the heart at play. Even if it weren't for possible profit motive, and simply just paying back the favor of helping hold off the ruffians, that wouldn't really be something to get thanked over. What a curious girl. "Yes, Jade." Like the pretty stone, something kept her from adding. It was... odd, really. She'd used to have no problem with it, but these days...

In the end, nobody seemed to need any help climbing aboard, and her 'mare were undisturbed, so it was time to get a roll on. The other one with wings took after the fallen's cue, which she wasn't super happy about either, but maybe it was just baseless prejudice? Being ground bound herself, it was a little built in to expect it, and offputting when that expectation was rattled. She'd already said her piece on the matter, so it didn't bear repeating, and she climbed back up to the driver's seat and settled herself in. Another puff or two, and then she emptied her pipe, and slid it safely away in a case in her pouch. Time to learn a bit about that sword, as they moseyed along then. She looked forward to this conversation, at least, whatever else may come.

"I'm glad you find me helpful, Agni... And yes, Marina, we are. My apologies, Jade, I told you where we wish to end our trip, not where we wish to stop along the way... But I'm sure you won't have issue stopping to rest. The nightmares would likely appreciate it, as well." Were it just the undead, they could carry on for much longer, but with humans, a succubus, birds and a dragon, they had to take into account everyone's stamina. Rest would be unfortunately necessary. "Let us be off, then... At your ready, Ms. Persyn."

Taliyah nodded along to Xalrei's words, picking herself up and trying to force a smile. "I'll uh, I-I can walk... Thank you, though... A real dragon. Wow." Clearly still fascinated with her far off cousin's existance, Taliyah pried her eyes off of Xalrei, sneaking her way into the back of the wagon, to rest her tired self.

Asami yawned at everything that was going on, choosing to crawl into the wagon and curl herself up right behind Jade, tail gently swishing. "It's certainly tiring, dancing and killing... Please, wake me up in a few hours, Lavinia~"

As Lavinia had imagined, they weren't bothered for the rest of the day, the Nightmares making quick work of the road as they traveled along. Bandits were definitely not shy with making themselves known in the trees, but upon seeing that Jade had a nearly full group inside her wagon, they would retreat, and pass the chance by. A smart decision, and a welcome one, Lavinia understanding that multiple encounters would make this trip near impossible.

As well, she got the chance to explain to Jade just what, exactly, Requiem was. Lavinia had been around during Tharasonis' reign, so she had also been privy to quite an extensive amount of knowledge about the piece of equipment. It housed a soul, of which that origin was unknown to her, but she knew it was powerful. When the weapon drew blood, or took a life, it would grow stronger, more powerful, absorbing the energy contained in its victims. Unfortunately, damaged as it currently was, Requiem wouldn't discriminate. Any attacks made would siphon from wielder and target alike... Still, it would be able to grow powerful if they used it on their enemies. Perhaps powerful enough to repair itself. If not, there were specialized blacksmiths scattered about Vaia... One of them may have carried the knowledge to fix the sword completely.

Lavinia told Jade not to worry about payment at the moment, so long as they were traveling together, the sword wouldn't have to leave the zombie's wagon. She could hold onto it and contemplate a price all her own, until they reached their destination and parted ways. For the moment...

The day had passed, and night was once against upon them. Lavinia's hood had left her, relishing in being able to bathe in the moonlight, the sky clear and free of clouds this time. A small campsite had been setup just off the road, and no rain meant no rush for tents. Lavinia found herself resting against a tree again, cleaning her weaponry, making sure no blood stained her armor.

Asami was... Missing. She'd run off saying she had to deal with something, and while Lavinia didn't enjoy her rushing away all of a sudden, there was no real way to stop the fox. "How troublesome..." A sigh met the air, as Taliyah met Lavinia, meek and still trying to smile, holding out a little bottle.

"H-Hey! Hi... Er, uhm... I dunno if you wanted t-to ask me about, stuff, now, but I wanted to give you this... I don't know what it is, but... W-Well, think of it, as a sorry?" The half lizard held out a vial, containing a deep red liquid, nearly shining in the moonlight, which Lavinia took hold of carefully.

"I see... I'll speak with you tomorrow, of your knowledge of Ithraxl and his men. See if Nessraya can figure out what this is, before someone makes the mistake of drinking it... Get some rest, Taliyah. Thank you for helping us as you did, today... Even if it was difficult for you." Lavinia set the vial next to her belongings, as the girl nodded.

"R-Right! I, uhm... Thanks..." Away she went to another tree, curling up underneath it, fiddling with a little notebook and beginning to write in it... With her tail holding the quill.

"What an odd girl..." At least she seemed like she'd come out alright. "Her first time taking a life... It's always difficult."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Marina looked at Nessraya with a look of minor confusion. She guessed she mostly used her title more out of respect, if anything. To Marina, she felt she couldn't treat herself on equal terms with... well, anyone. Not yet, anyway. However, this was a start for at least her adviser, "Okay, I can do that, Ge--" Stop that, "N-Nessraya." A fumble, but a start, "It'll probably take a bit to be comfortable with that, I hope that's okay," 

Unfortunately for Marina, she was able to catch Agni's statement towards Lavinia. She was glad he acknowledged her, but why did he need to still talk down everyone else in the process. She couldn't help a disgruntled sigh, but she could at least be happy Jade seemed approachable. Marina wasn't ready for another person to join the group who visibly wanted nothing to do with her.

Once they departed, she simply brought everything mentally to the side, as she listened to Lavina about Requiem...

Setting up camp ended up being less of a problem than it was the night before. Marina wasn't completely rested, but she wasn't overwhelmed with fatigue. Surprisingly, she didn't feel as stressed either. Maybe she was finally just getting used to her position. That, or the thought of the cursed sword dwelled on her mind too much. Regardless, what ended up being a surprisingly uneventful night led to Marina pacing around camp, mostly overlooking and checking on everyone, at least... as much as they would let her.

At times like these, normally Marina would be able to sit down and just drown herself in another comic, or a movie, and just let the night go by. That feeling had gotten more and more desirable as days went by. She almost missed someone scaring her half to death with a threat of literal death. At least she didn't have to just... stand in silence.

A breeze caught Marina by surprise as she covered up her right arm with her cloak. Suddenly... "Suddenly, this wasn't the best plan," A light laugh. She hoped they'd have made it to Aensbrook by now. She was ready for a long bath, and some new clothes... unfortunately, things don't always work out as intended, "Kinda like this whole 'hero' thing, huh Marina," she quietly asked herself.

As she continued her pacing, she noticed Taliyah and Lavinia talking, and Taliyah walking away. Awkwardly, she just looked the half-lizard's way. Her first thought was to check up on her too, but how would she react. She was only a child, much like Marina, but she knew how her reputation spread like wildfire. If Taliyah had any real idea Marina was who she was, would she be scared? Or would be just another case like with Bladen. Or even worse... Xalrei.

It was then, she noticed Taliyah pull out and write into a notebook. Wow, something in common... Maybe... Just as she went to approach Taliyah, she also remembered she wanted to talk with Nessraya. Marina thought about it for a minute... She's pretty fond of Xalrei. They... don't need me in the way, She turned around to go hunt down their succubus.

It didn't take her too long to find Nessraya, her pacing and scoping giving her a good idea of where to find her if she hadn't gone far. She walked up, trying to keep the warm approach, "Doing okay, Gen-- eh... Nessraya?" She asked, once again fumbling at her attempt to be less formal than normal.

Edited by Silver Gallade

So this was to be their campsite, was it? A small bit of snooping about had seemed to be in order, although truth be told Nessraya found little at odds with the small clearing, dotted with trees here and there... several groups had made eyes at their travelling caravan throughout the day, they would need keep someone on watch to ensure their throats weren't slit in their sleep, but that aside-

Ah, finally something interesting. Turning to face Marina and giggling lightly at her struggle with informality, the succubus floated over to the former hero, plopping against her gently, tail snaking it's way around Marina's thigh and giving it a light squeeze.

"Ara ara~ I must admit, it is adorable to see you so perplexed by such a simple thing, Marina. You've only known my title a scant few minutes longer than my name... surely the contrast between the two cannot be quite so severe as you make out." Nessraya chuckled with levity, resting her chin on Marina's shoulder as she leaned into the girl, a sigh escaping her lips as she brought them to the hero's ear.

"Mmm... I am... okay, I suppose. I had need tap into my own life force for the final strike of our earlier skirmish... not quite enough magic stowed away for that one~ The pain has subsided, but... it is oh so... draining~"

Edited by Ether

Admittedly, Marina wasn't quite sure how to react in regards to Nessraya's advances. It was then, that she did realize and remember, Wait, succubus, and Marina recalled Lavinia pointing out that she did need intimate contact, much like Lavinia needed blood.

Ara ara, oh god, why does she know what that is?!

"O-oh uh... no, it's that... It's a habit from when... I was at the church. It's mostly a respect thing, I'll break it at some point, I'm sure," She gave a nervous laugh, as she decided to... see what would happen. Hearing her sigh, and her comment about her magic being draining, Marina wrapped her arms into a soft hug, giving gentle pats to her back in response.

Whether out of sheer bravery, or her usual naivety, her impulse kicked in at the worst time, "Aw... Is there... anything I can do for you?"