Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"I am glad we are in agreement, Marina. Though I question why you allow him to influence you, should you realize that." Nessraya noted, taking a seat on the grass and laying her back against the thick trunk of the old oak tree. Oh well, no use letting it dampen her mood any further... as much as she wanted to take Marina where she stood, if more to rub Agni's face in it than even to lay with the heroine, which was impressive ire enough on it's own, trying to force the issue would likely do little more than put Marina on guard.

"I do not know what it was you wished to speak with me about, Marina, but if I might begin with a word of advice... be wary of that man. It is easy to tell at a glance that his loyalties lie not with Marina Fairchild, but with the Hero of the Church." Nessraya began, looking up at Marina to gauge her reaction.

"For now, he views those two identities as one and the same. But If you continue on your path of redemption, they will become... irreconcilable. Bishop Carlon wants nothing less than the destruction of Vaia and her people, as his multiple crusades have proven. If you cannot convince Agni to follow Marina instead of the Hero... I fear his knife will find it's way into your back, instead of your enemies." Nessraya concluded for the moment, a sigh escaping her lips.

"But that is likely heavier than what you wanted to discuss, and I would imagine at present you trust him more than me. Just something to keep in mind."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She listened intently to Nessraya's words of advice. Everything was practically on point with how she was thinking. She was conflicted. It wasn't the first time she considered the fact that Agni could go back to the church at any time. It was mostly a means of...

"...Because I don't know if, when, or how he may try to leave..." She suddenly answered after Nessraya finished. "I... I want him to turn around, but it's a means of... being careful how I tread." She wanted to word this right, not sure if she'd sound stupid for her means of answering the succubus' question. Marina gathered her bearings for a moment, and moved to sit with Nessraya,

"I'm afraid if I do something... too drastic, he may just up and abandon me," She admitted, "I wasn't the first one, right? Hero, I mean. Imagine I do something that the church discovers, and they denounce me, see me as a lost cause? And then, all of a sudden a new person is brought here, being labeled as the newest 'Hero of Coteon'. And Agni just... runs and swears loyalty to them. Then... what reason would any human have to listen to what I have to say, if the only one who ever stood by me cut and run...?" Then, a tear dropped. "I feel like I'm trapped in a limbo... I want to do what I can to please everyone but... I just end up disappointing one person, or myself, or everyone around me." She held her head in her hands, "I once was told, the hardest part of making a decision is not knowing whether or not it was the right call. And I hate how right they are."

Ruffling her own hair, trying to mask the sudden headache she'd formed from all this stress, she followed onto her comment about trusting her, "Nessraya, I do trust you. You saved my life, when you could've blasted me once and just... made me nothing more than a distant memory. Honestly, I'd love to offer myself up to you. With all the crap I've been putting up with the last month, rejuvenation from it would probably be the best feeling right now. I just... I don't know."

Oh, Jade had surprised the visitor. Curious. Rocking forward on the balls of her feet a little, leaning in and looking up at the taller woman, a slight wisp of smile on her face, she blinked a few times while taking in the other's expression, as the dragonewt recovered and began to explain herself.

"Umu," she grunted at last, satisfied enough, then nodded. "Wait here a moment," the zombie instructed, before turning to the wagon--its 'mares unhitched and fed already, now both laying down about a stone's throw away, enjoying a small rest, though they were by no means exhausted--climbing up and making her way to the driver's seat. After Lavinia had told her more about the weapon, she'd changed where she'd been storing it. No longer was it in the back with all the other goods, she'd relocated it to a lockbox she kept in the space under the seat, opened with a key she wore around her neck. It was for things of a more valuable or sentimental nature than her typical cargo, and this Requiem now certainly qualified for a spot within.

Weapon retrieved, she drew it from its sheath, holding it rather awkwardly, untrained and unused to its weight, while she stared at it. Thought at it. But it showed no signs of moving, of morphing, of... whatever it was it had done--what she'd seen it do--in Lavinia's or the thief's hands. Upset enough to remember to breathe so she could sigh in disappointment, Jade hopped somewhat carelessly down from her perch and, returning to her visitor, gave the dragonewt another, more appraising, look than before. What was she even hoping to see? She felt she'd know it when she saw it, though.

"Can you use a sword..." Jade started, a smirk on her face as she knew the question was pointless. While the woman probably could, it was clearly not her weapon of choice. But for Requiem in particular, it seemed like that wouldn't matter. Still, she got a little pleasure from the asking, of marking the first impressions of a response, though she did not intend to give enough time for a full interruption.

"No... that's the wrong question. Can you use this sword," the zombie quickly revised her query. "Will you? You know it comes with risk?" Jade turned around, then, facing her back to her visitor, and holding the sword out in front of her, pointed away from the both of them. "I can't seem to make it work, and now I'm burning to know. How? Why? What does it feel like? Take my hand in yours, if you want it. Make it change. Let me taste it. Then, I would have no objection to your using it, at least until the King claims it once again for their own."

"I can see his motives, but his personality... you would know how to read that better than I. But if you simply allow him to operate as he wishes, he shall drive a wedge in our little group... he's already happily attempted to get that started." Nessraya sighed... it was a conundrum, to be sure. If the people of Coteon stopped seeing Marina as a hero, then her influence in attempting to mend things outside of Vaia itself would become far more difficult. Wrapping a wing around Marina's shoulder, Nessraya pondered for a moment.

"It certainly could have a negative effect... although, i doubt we will see another hero. Only two have ever been summoned, yourself and the first... if the Church could summon more at will, surely they would not have waited so long to strike again... call another while the iron was hot and Vaia was in disarray... they would have snuffed us out many years ago." The General paused, stretching ever so slightly against the tree, letting her legs extend into the air for a moment before bringing them back down onto the grass.

"Marina... unfortunate as it may be, it is impossible to please everyone. You must pick and choose your battles, else you will accomplish nothing in your indecision. I will leave Agni to you... as I said, you understand him better than any of us. But you must understand... every choice you make leaves it's alternative unchosen. Allowing yourself to dwell on what you have not done will only leave your conviction brittle. As for our own... personal situation, that is something you must decide on your own. I am as biased in saying you should follow that desire as Agni is in trying to keep you from it, after all." Nessraya chuckled lightly, gazing up at the night sky.

"I am glad for you to say that, Marina. As I'm certain you overheard... the people of Vaia do not place such faith in me... at least, the soldiery is fractured. If you ever feel need of my advice, I hope you do not hesitate to ask."

Marina was silent again. She really did have to think about what she'd have to do in the future. Once she left Vaia, who would she be to those around her? Who's ties would she have to cut? It was the worst feeling, thinking about what she wanted and needed. Soon enough, feeling comfortable enough to do so, she ended up leaning against Nessraya as she pondered... 

"I've already thought on and decided on this already..." she started, "Anyone here, if they prove too much of a burden, or can't be trusted... I have to be the one to put an end to it." Thinking back to the fight between Xalrei and Agni that occurred the night before, "I can't allow them to continue working with us," shaking her head, "I've... stepped too far to return to the church already. If it comes to a point where Agni chooses them over me... It'll suck, but I'll be ready to do what I have to. To protect myself, and to protect all of you." then a sigh, "That goes for everyone as well, if it becomes that dire."

It was just then as she spoke, she remembered those she met while she was in Coteon, people she knew she'd have to face sooner or later. Suddenly, that conviction faltered at the thought, but she pushed it back, ignore it briefly. That wasn't something she wanted to think about yet. Instead, she reeled back a bit into the conversation, "I understand, being indecisive will only cause bigger problems, as greater, harsher decisions will keep being brought on. To me, it's just a matter if I'll be strong enough to make them."

Marina sighed a bit, but her mood at least brightened at the comment that Nessraya was glad for her trust. Enough for the young girl to smile a bit, even break out a small laugh of her own, "I'll be sure to count on you then... 'General'," She playfully replied at her final comment. "Honestly..." ...Here we go, "Maybe some... rejuvenation would be really nice tonight..."

"Have I coddled her when she kept placing the blame of everything on herself? No. When Marina wavers, I am not shy to chastize her." This topic of how Agni coddled her was unwarranted and unwelcome, in his mind. "I would rather she not enter an intimate relation with Nessraya, regardless. Casual or otherwise." He shrugged, leaning back. "If you think my ego is too much, go ahead. I could use some diversion." They were ever so quick to want to put him down... "I could suggest you some, provided we find a library as well. I haven't my personal stash since Marina and I got captured."

Not being rejected outright was about as much as she'd hoped for. From there Jade would've wanted to bargain, or some form of insurance -of which she had, and was prepared to give- that she wouldn't just cut and run with the sword. Or at least, that was what Xalrei had anticipated as the next step in acquiring the cursed sword for her use. Instead, much to her surprise, Jade simply hopped onto the wagon and retrieved Requiem from its storage space without any such deal being made. The merchant staring at her sword for a moment was a bit strange to the dragonewt, but Xalrei supposed she was just inspecting it.

As Jade approached her once more, Xalrei unconsciously crossed her arms. No matter the context, someone coming towards her with an unsheathed weapon was bound to get her guard up, regardless of her awareness of it. She huffed in annoyance at Jade's perceived smugness with her first question, already preparing a rebuttal. While she hadn't had proper sword training, she was confident with practice and enough time -of which she had more than plenty- she'd be able to wield and master the weapon type. However, before she could voice her counter, Jade had already revised the question.

"I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't already prepared to take that risk." She wanted to see Requiem in its full glory, even if it would come to cost her greatly. She couldn't really explain why, right now, but the desire was absolutely there. Though, to be honest, Jade's attitude was offputting and a little concerning. She was clearly curious as well, but something in Xalrei's gut told her whatever was fueling the merchant's curiosity was something she should be wary off; however, Xalrei wasn't going to let that scare her off. She brushed the feeling aside as best she could and put on a brave face, walking over to face Jade. "Fine, if that's all you want I'll be more than happy to take that deal." With a confident, almost cocky, grin she took Jade's hand in her claw.

"Hah, well, don't look now, Agni, but it appears Marina and Nessraya are ignoring your opinions anyway~" Lavinia chuckled heavily as the two got much closer in the distance, reaching an arm around Agni to keep him still should he feel it appropriate to interrupt their merry time. "Provided we find a library, by all means. Give me any manner of book you think would fit my interests--" A sudden yelp from Lavinia ended her inquiry, arm slipping away from Agni and something dragged her off towards another set of trees.

"What-- Agh-- Let, go, of me!" A tail? What manner of beast could... Lavinia tried her best to glance up at whatever was dragging her, but before she could figure things out, she was let go-- only to be grabbed again, and tight. "Ack!" A same tail has slithered its way around her body, hoisting her up off the ground... Lavinia did her best to follow it towards its owner... Human arms, a cloak, face hidden, but undoubtedly... "A naga, are we...? Or a, lamia... Quite the tail you have, he--Rgh!?" Squeezed tighter, Lavinia let out a gasp, the air squeezed out of her. She didn't need it, but it was still an uncomfortable feeling, and it was hard to talk without it...

On the ground next to them, trying to crawl past, was Asami, battered and bruised. A sack was quickly dropped onto her back, stopping any squirming.

"I call for the hero to make herself known!" the hooded voice, definitely female, barked out towards the rest of the group. "Show yourself, or the vampire and the fox die!"

"Y-You like my tail? No, it, it's really not that great. Maybe if I could keep it from doing stupid things, but... As it stands..." She didn't really know what to do when people told her it was nice. It was definitely useful, but too annoying to be nice... "Sh-She did? Really? I... Wow... I guess, she doesn't wanna be here just as much as the rest of it... I wonder what made her wanna be hero?"

The talk of Agni was true, though Taliyah did feel a little bad saying all that behind his back... "Well, I--"

"Agh!"

A cry from the other groups made Taliyah glance over, watching their vampire get dragged away. "Wh-What!? Uh, w, we should, we gotta help...!" Taliyah was almost up, pushed off the ground by her tail, which snagged her axe as she ran after the unfortunate knight.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"So long as you are ready to make good on that conviction, should it need come to pass. I hope Agni can see the error of his ways, I would hate for you to need remove him if it can be avoided." Nessraya replied, leaning into Marina as the heroine did the same. It seemed Marina was coming around, and was warming to the idea of having a good time with her. That was all but confirmed as Marina continued to speak, but just as Nessraya was about to show her just why that was the proper decision, a scream rang out through the camp. It didn't take overly long to pinpoint the cause, and- damn it all.

"It seems that will need to wait. Get Myrithali, NOW!" Nessraya barked, immediately springing up from her seated position, wings spreading. For Lavinia to be taken by surprised and subdued so easily, and- was that Asami as well? This was no opponent to be taken lightly, and it became unfortunately obvious as she approached that Nessraya's own options were... limited. With Lavinia within the Naga's, Lamia's? It didn't really matter, grasp, her spells would almost certainly impact the vampire as well should she lob them... and this arrival was likely far more resilient towards magic than Lavinia. Still, she had to be ready to strike if need be, a fireball forming in one hand as she held her rather recent acquisition, a blizzard tome, in the other. Whichever sort of snakefolk this was, she would not appreciate the frigid cold.

"This is the only warning I will give you, our mystery assailant. If you do not release them both immediately, it will be your head on a pike." The General stated coldly, watching for any sudden movements. What an unenviable situation. 

There seemed to be little hope of this unsealing leading to a bloodbath that could help restore Requiem's power ... at least in the beginning. The lifeless, or better said, empty one, carried the starving blade to someone. It wasn't the magic imbued archer that just so happened to run out of enemies to slay, but someone new. Requiem could only sense its source of sustenance as a whole. Not being able to see or 'hear' anything in the conventional sense left the cursed blade at a severe disadvantage. Perhaps when it had acquired more of its power, it could use magic to make better sense of its surroundings, as well as better distinguish these living creatures, but for the moment, everything Requiem might try to do came with a cost, and the risk of being rendered completely powerless, again. Before, it had been too eager, and transformed to no avail. Having learned that lesson, Requiem was guarding its reserves like a dragon hoarding its treasure. This precious little power, gained on one fateful day, was all it had left ...

Curious about the situation as a whole, and expecting absolutely nothing from the exchange between the empty one and the other, Requiem carefully took in its surroundings as best it could, counting heads essentially, and looking for anything that stood out. There was definitely something whereabouts, but the cursed sword saw the world through a glass darkly at best and didn't know what to make of the new signs of life. They were so faint from its perspective ... and so far away ...?

... what was happening? Requiem had never been held by two, before ... not unless its victim was grasping the blade, desperately hoping to force it out. That was surely different from this. Either way, with this ... dragonewt having taken hold of it, Requiem could now make a fuller assessment. Xalrei was a warrior, someone that could definitely prove useful if they were proactive in hunting down their enemies. While a sword might suffice for this one, the dragonewt was better suited to an axe or a spear. Considering that Xalrei had been more inclined toward the latter, at least recently, and Requiem found such a simple shape easier to maintain and thus preferable, the choice was obvious. Requiem hadn't planned on transforming initially, however, even though it was clear now that a transformation was exactly what Xalrei was hoping to see. Again, that lesson had been learned; without enemies to fight, it was simply a waste of precious energy. Instead, the cursed blade hoped to actually build some rapport, first. Or at the very least make its usual point perfectly clear.

'Power ... need more ... power,' a deep, gravelly and menacing voice echoed in the heads of both women. It was right then and there that Requiem saw the telltale signs of battle. There was magic being primed, life force fluctuating rapidly as death itself encroached. In pure excitement, the cursed blade sparked blood red and quickly lengthened into a spear. 'You ... have new enemies. Strike them down ...'

Marina was practically already up once she heard someone... shout for her. Thankfully, she hadn't removed her equipment yet as she had still been doing her walk-around, but she had a moment of doubt as Nessraya told her to get Myrithali. She had it, and she went to grab it, but... She couldn't take it. Not yet, could she...? Things didn't matter yet as she followed alongside Nessraya to whomever took Lavinia.

The sight of the being was... admittedly horrifying. A cloaked figure, arms, human-looking... until seeing the snakelike tail that formed it's lower half. Following it along, she was shocked to see Lavinia squeezed by the creature, unable to make words. Eyeing over, she also caught Asami... Both of them... Already... Fear started taking over. The hero felt like she was going back to just the lost child... however, she wouldn't let that fear overtake her. She stepped forward, staring down at her yellow, glowing eyes.

"I'm the Hero." Suddenly, her body reacted on it's own, as she drew Myrithali, holding it up as if preparing to fight. Unfortunately, it refused to glow, and it still felt heavy in her arm. Maybe this being didn't know it's secrets. Maybe she'd still fear the sight of the Holy Sword. "Let them go. It's me that you want, isn't it? You don't need them as leverage. I'm not going anywhere."

Despite the brave front, fear was getting to her. This was the first time so far that someone seemingly hunted for her. She felt the shaking in her legs, sweat already developing from her face. As if all of that wasn't intimidating enough, she couldn't use Myrithali to it's fullest power... or use it at all. Regardless of that, she wouldn't back down. She was ready to fight with everything she had...

Till death if need be...

Edited by Silver Gallade

Yeah, maybe she hadn't handled that entirely the right way, she'd caused more annoyance than she'd intended--easily seen in the dragonewt's expression and heard in her voice--but... well, Jade had let herself get a bit carried away. It was unlikely to cause permanent friction, and they were still both going to get what they wanted out of this, right?

She was wondering whether or not to apologize, when the larger, rougher hand closed around her own, driving those thoughts easily from mind. Xalrei's claw felt surprisingly warm. Part of that was, to be sure, Jade's own body heat being nothing more than the ambient temperature, but since she rarely got much in the way of physical contact (when she was of mind to appreciate it anyway) it was easy to forget this. Her heart gave a rare beat, then settled back down to near slumber.

Will it do the thing? What will it be like, Jade tried to distract herself with speculation, but she barely began to wonder when a deep and rumbly... demand, made itself known. It was hard to really call it a voice, in some ways, but maybe that was just the oddity of there being no directional reference for where the sound was coming from? Because it absolutely was a voice. And it craved power.

Jade's heart thumped several more times, and a flush of excitement rose to her cheeks. There was regret that she couldn't seem to awaken it on her own, and disappointment she'd ultimately lose possession of it, but there was also a wholly unfounded sense of pride in owning such a fantastic weapon in the first place. Part of her foolishly wanted to grab the blade with her other hand and slide along it, slicing herself open to feed it, to see what could further be drawn out. Even dead though she was, though, that would carry remarkable risk, and it was for the best when Requiem changed form to a spear, and removed that possibility altogether.

"Enemies?" Jade echoed this latest news to broadcast itself into her brain. Was the dragonewt getting this too? She craned her neck to look up and back, trying to figure out without moving awkwardly or causing any discomfort to either of them. She'd have to let go of the weapon for Xalrei to fight with it, but at the moment that was impossible to do, even if she wanted to.  The other woman's grip circled solidly around her own.

A scream from elsewhere in the camp reinforced the sense of danger. Was that Lavinia? A hiss of indrawn breath. "Damnation," Jade cursed. "Sorry, this is no time to continue fooling around, but thank you for humoring me thus far. We'll finish our discussions after, yes?"

"That can't be, Marina just told me she'd compromise. She's not one to lie callously to my face." Agni had stopped paying attention to Marina and Ness' conversation, his job already done. He'd be concerned if Nessraya was making moves again, but Marina? "But yes, provided--" Lavinia was swooped by something quickly while he spoke, zooming through the darkness. Agni immediately sprang upright, a hand drawing his dagger, and taking note of the tail dragging Lavinia away. "Monster! Stop right there!"

But it was already off, too swift, and used its power and body to restrain Lavinia, and threathen their death. Tch.

But things happened fast around him. Marina stepped forward to the assailant's demands, like a true hero, and attempted to defuse the situation. However, that left Marina vulnerable. If this assailant tried anything, I'll need to cover for Marina. They're fast, but maybe I could do it...

As soon as Lavinia was taken away, Gabriela left out a swift scream. When she saw Asami, that turned into a scream of fear. ''Lavinia! Asami! No!'' She couldn't find the words in the chaos. A female voice rang out from a person in a hood, calling for the hero to make herself known. Marina, being the kind soul she is, immediately said she was the one. Gabriela was very scared, but.. if her employer was in danger, it was her duty to bring her back for safety. 

She watched and stood back to see what Marina would do, and Agni of course was on guard, scared for Marina's life, probably. No matter what would happen, this is a dangerous situation, and someone is not surviving this, but who? Maybe Gabriela could use her siren voice.... no, she is not allowed. Besides, everyone else would hear the song as well and be hypnotized. She didn't like it, but the only choice she had was to put her employer's life into the hands of one young girl.

One look at Jade told Xalrei that the merchant had gotten exactly what she'd wanted from her strange request. The sword had transformed into a more suitable weapon for her use, a spear, but not before a voice --Xalrei would describe it as ominous-- had demanded more power. She'd overheard what the sword was capable during the wagon ride --that was what had sparked her interest in the first place-- so it wasn't like she hadn't expected this. Still, experiencing it herself wasn't exactly convincing her this was the smartest idea; however, she felt she'd committed at this point and wasn't going to back down.

Not even a minute after she'd grabbed the cursed sword a scream came from the far side of camp. It sounded like... Lavinia? Either way, it looked like the cursed sword had sensed it as well. Just what was this thing capable of? "Damn it! That's three nights in a row, now." Could she not go one night without being attacked? Though, Marina seemed to be the target... this time. "Yeah, looks we'll have to unless we want to abandon our Hero." Xalrei almost rushed off with Jade hand still in her grasp. Thankfully, she remembered at the last second, letting the woman's hand go free and regrabbing Requiem in one swift action. While it may have been amusing to some to see her dragging the zombie through the dirt behind her, Xalrei was sure Jade herself wouldn't have appreciated it.

"Your threats don't scare me Nessraya!" Whoever this was clearly knew who she was dealing with, smiling under her hood as Marina stepped forward. "You're right. I do want only you." A scroll was pulled out of her cloak, and immediately began to burn in blue fire. Some quiet chant left the snake woman's mouth, a well of magic forming behind Marina. In but a moment, several skeletons were formed, all beginning to move and clack their jaws, weapons at the ready. None of them paid any attention to Marina.

"Good... Now we're alone. Fight me, Hero!"

"Marina, don't... Do, it... Don't... The-- Hhhgh!" Lavinia was trying to talk, but another squeeze followed by some cracks quieted her words. Something had broken, not that she could feel it, but without any air, words weren't happening.

Player Phase/Turn 1!

syMDrcC.png

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Mikon... I'm not, a huge fan of this sack... You know?" Asami was just struggling to breathe, what was in here, stones? What a mistake... Why is she even going this far? She doesn't, have to do it this way... "Your game, is, no fun!" With a puff of smoke, Asami disappeared from beneath the bag, eyes scanning in her little mist for the weakest of the woman's summons... That one!

"Hey, get back here!"

"Nope~! Marina, help Lavinia!"

Asami poofs a square away, then moves to 6,10, blasting Wight #4!
9 damage!
Asami gains +18 EXP, +1 light WEXP!

Marina had only barely gotten ahead of her when their interloper revealed that she, at the very least, knew of Nessraya, before summoning a veritable wall of wights in between Marina and the rest of their group... whatever ends she had for the hero would soon come to pass, if they didn't get through this blockade, and quickly. Going straight through the middle seemed like the easiest bet, until Asami managed to make a break away from her captor, and put some lightning into the back of one of the skeletons on the flanks. That would have to do.

"Break through, and get to Marina and Lavinia! Get out of my way!" Nessraya called out, moving to the flank of the farthest skeleton that Asami had damaged, and calling down a rain of black arrows to hopefully grind it into dust.

Nessraya to 5,7, Black Arrow Wight 4

Well, this was hardly an ideal situation. Marina had let herself get lured into the mysterious assailant's trap and now a cacophony of wights stood between her and her would-be protectors. It was already bad enough to have obstacles in the way, but why did it have to be wights? If this woman could make them from nothing, which it looked like she had, the bones were probably magically reinforced to make them highly resistant to physical damage. However, resistance wasn't imperviousness. With enough force behind the blow, even these wights would crumble.

As she sized up the enemy Asami, and then Nessraya, slammed their magics into one of the wights, the aftermath of the light show leaving the wight barely able to hold itself together. Not one to pass up an opportunity to strike down a foe, especially with Requiem in her grasp, Xalrei rushed the creature. 

Xalrei to 5,8, stab wight into oblivion with Requiem.

The bones give way under the combined assault from Nessraya and Xalrei!
5 damage, just enough!
Xalrei gains +100 exp!
Level 7! +Skl/Lck
Requiem tastes its first kill!
Tier 1
+3 Mt/+5 Hit/-1 HP lost

"Marina! Lavinia!" Agni rushed past, trying to ignored the reanimated skeletons. He couldn't possibly get to Marina nor Lavinia in time while fending off those things --and he knew where his priorities lied--. It was dangerous, but he'd succeed at something --either diverging the skeleton's attention or sneaking by. Curse her, whoever she is! Monster!

Agni presses onward (11,19) and casts flux on the second wight.

Edited by Xinnidy

Requiem needed more power, life force preferably, but ... this energy, this magic it had been plunged into seemed to suffice for one thing. It could be used to boost the cursed weapon's effectiveness as such. Actual 'sustenance' would still require some deliberate and conservative maneuvering. 'Good,' Requiem informed its current bloodwinner, 'More power ... more ...'

...Still no response from the Holy Sword...

She quickly turned behind her as she saw the line of wights emerge from the being's magic. She quickly noticed... they were keeping her from retreating. She was trapped.

Fight me, Hero!

It was followed by an attempted command from Lavinia to not... what? Marina was soon alarmed by a hearing a snapping sound. "LAVINIA!" She couldn't help but cry out, "L-Let her go, o-or I'll..." What threat could she give? Without Myrithali... And then Asami escaped, giving the order to help Lavinia as she went to assist the others.

You need me to see her as evil? Come on... She's threatened my friends' lives, she's about to kill one of them, she has this look of glee as she's doing it...! Marina! Marina just accept it! Throw away this stupid feeling of guilt! If you don't, Lavinia may...!

"Please, r-respond will y--" What was this sudden burning feeling in her hands? Suddenly a pained cry as she had to throw the sword out of her hands. She had a mortified expression as she saw... Her hands were burned, something singed through her gloves right onto her hands. Was this the also the Holy Sword's doing...? What is going on with you, you damned fool?! 

Regardless of the situation she felt, here she was... she was alone... no Holy Sword to protect her, no one to protect her... instead, Marina had to do what she could on her own. She drew her iron sword. Her hands still hurt, but she could shake it off. She shook off her fear as much of it as she could, and charged.

"I TOLD YOU TO LET HER GO!" She ignored the body of the woman as she ran to her tail. She knew she wasn't strong enough to kill her, but she could still try to save Lavinia. With all her strength, she went for a downward stab at the woman's tail.

If this is it, Marina... We at least tried, didn't we...?

Marina moves to 8,12, Iron Swording the mysterious woman!