Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Marina does... A thing!
9 damage!
The retort is... Nothing?
Marina gains +14 EXP, +1 sword WEXP

Map over?

The snake woman hissed from being slashed, but instead of blasting Marina with the magic she had on hand, she simply recoiled back a bit, and nodded. "Good answer." Letting Lavinia go, the vampire gasped as she collided with the ground, finally able to breathe again.

"You'd have killed, anyone else doing that..." Lavinia pushed herself to standing, knowing she'd be seeing Nessraya soon, things had definitely broken.

"That's why I grabbed you and the fox, Lavinia. I can't trust anyone else to survive such interrogation-- Wah!?" Lavinia had stormed over to the lamia while she spoke, fetched a pair of glasses out of the snake's small carrying bag, and slapped them onto her face. The previously hostile creature shrunk some, leaving Lavinia sighing.

"You're not supposed to be able to take those off, Erephis." Shaking her head, Lavinia could only come up with one answer.

"T-Thesephine put me up to this... Don't be, t-too mad..." Slowly letting her hood down, the now bespectacled lamia pouted, purple locks of hair running over her shoulders, bangs just long enough to hit the top of her glasses. "Uhm... Uh... Sh-She asked me to, test you, Marina. S-So... You, know..." She looked past at the skeletons, standing there, clacking their jaws, not moving. "Those, won't, ac-actually do anything. That was j-just to hold you here, and... Scare you, some..."

"This is a ridiculous test, and I'll be giving Thesephine a piece of my mind when we return."

"O-Oh, I agree! But, w-well, er, you pass! She... Wanted t-to make sure you, wouldn't use the sword... And you didn't! So... Woo!"

Lavinia groaned, putting a hand on her face. "Thesephine..."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point getting on her wagon, but Jade very much still preferred something rather than just wading in by herself. Not if she could avoid that. Raising up a whistle, she roused the Nightmares, which clomped over to her. Gently patting them each, she smiled. "Don't need you both tonight. Deep Vermillion, you can guard the wagon, case someone tries for it while we're distracted," she made a slight clicking sound with her tongue against the back of her teeth, and pointed where she wanted her to go. "Burnt Umber, if you don't mind then?" Reaching up, Jade grabbed a bit of mane just in front of the withers, then hopped up, letting the momentum of the jump do most of the work in carrying her leg over. Once astride the mighty animal, she pulled out her pistol, leaned forward, and gave an encouraging pat, as she directed the nightmare to take her within range of the enemy.

Jade moves to 6,8 and guns Wight 1

Gabriela had to make sure her employer, and by extension her money, was safe. She didn't care who she would have to go through.

Gabriela moves to 7,7 and shines wight 1.

Pow! Bullet to the skull!
6 damage, and 1 wexp for her!

Gabriela prefers a much stronger approach!
11 damage!
+18 EXP, +2 light WEXP!

"G-Gotta help, miss Marina!"
Taliyah sneaks to 9,8 and makes axe meet bone!
Bonk!
6 damage!
The skeleton is bothered and stabs back!
Lol
Swingin' again
A crit! 18 damage!
Taliyah gains +18 exp, +4 axe wexp

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Marina closed her eyes after her hit connected. She was ready. Go on, already! Come on! Then suddenly, nothing...

Good answer.

"W-What...?" She was so conflicted. Everything that was going on right now... was a ploy? Lavinia was fine (well, as fine as a vampire who can't feel pain can be), and she was never in any real danger...? The gears were running in her head. Her emotions flared, she couldn't tell whether to be happy, or sad, or angry... So, she let herself loose...

"W-WHAAAT?!" She suddenly lashed out, her feelings deciding to just be angry, "I THOUGHT WE WERE GONNA DIE, I THOUGHT LAVINIA WAS GONNA DIE, I...! I...!" She started trying to take deep breaths, trying everything she could to calm herself down, but it didn't seem to work this time. She dropped her sword finally, the pain from her hands getting to her, "I... I swore! I swore to her I was gonna help fix Vaia!" Oh no, not again Marina...

Before she could even continue, she felt lightheaded, collapsing to her knees, barely holding herself up at that point. She exhausted every feeling she had just now... "I can't even use that stupid sword anyway! I can't keep myself out of my own guilt long enough to even THINK to use the damned thing!" She curled herself up again, shaking; either from the cold, or her own anger. She wasn't even sure at that point. "...I just want a chance..."

The Final Test

Asger took his time walking through the castle's halls, soaking in the sunlight coming through the windows. His blonde ponytail was held up high, well kept, much like his face. A strong jawline, a pointed nose, bright, jade eyes. Coated in his armor, a shining white, trimmed in blue, his greaves clacked at the floor as he approached a specific room. A moment later, and... A knock at the door. "Marina? Would you happen to have a moment? I would like to speak with you." Marina Fairchild, the heroine that the church of Ilrios had summoned... A mysterious person, really, someone from another world? More than interesting enough. Bright, kind, and even athletic. The perfect choice for the leader of their armies on this crusade. Today's goal was to have a sparring session with her, to make sure her sword skills were up to par.

Wielder of the holy sword... Myrithali. A chunk of iron in the hands of anyone else, but when she held it, the sword shined brilliantly. I want to know more about that, if possible... But for now.[/] Asger's only quest was to see her capable.

Marina laid in the bed that was given to her. Whenever she was in her room, it was the most comfortable place to be. It lifted her mood, despite how much she hated feeling isolated. She could do with a movie right now... Something silly, a buddy cop movie, or one of those 'so-bad-it's-good' kinda films. Instead, it was just her and her notepad she kept on her, jotting down how her days had gone... a picture or two... It was the best she could do to be occupied.

Suddenly, a knock at the door. The voice was easy to recognize, Prince Asger, "Yes, uh... Just one moment please!" The girl hopped out of bed, wiping down her clothes. Something she could probably reference as this world's version of 'business casual'; she was never one to spend too long in her pajamas (a nightgown in this case). 

She walked to her door, taking a deep breath. Opening it, she was almost blinded by how the white of his armor. "P-Prince Asger! Good morning," She gave a small bow, "What can I do for you, sir?"

Was she still resting at this time of day? He supposed it was early, but it shouldn't have been too early for her to be dressed... "Sir? Please, just Asger is fine. You are just as important as I am around here, Marina." At least she was wearing clothes now... So short, how cute. "I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me a few hours of your time today. I've always overseen your training with the knights, but you've been steadily improving. I wish to see how far you've come." And perhaps I can see Myrithali in action.

Her only reaction to his comment about her performance at first was a look of shock, "If you say so, S-... er, I mean... Asger." She gave a small nod. And his request was what she expected. Another training session today. A good idea. "Of course. It'd be good to see where I am," She agreed, "Uh... how will we be judging that?"

"Walk with me, and I shall explain. We shall have a proper suit of armor for you at the training grounds, as well. Wooden swords can still bruise, after all." Asger began to stroll back down the halls, hoping Marina would keep pace. "I don't want to get too full of myself, but the criteria for your improvement will be this, Marina. Land a single hit upon me, and I will consider you as having elevated your skills to a more than suitable point." Marina could fight without such skill, of course. Myrithali would strike down any monster in her path, whether or not she was skilled.

"If you can do that much, I know that you will be safe on your crusade. That will keep my heart at ease... Tenna's as well." Speaking of her..."Sister, you can stop hiding, and walk with us."

"Wha!?" A streak of red disappeared behind the corner, twintails slowly poking back out to peer at the two of them. Eyes wide like orbs, the same brilliant jade, and a pouting soft face, blushing at her brother. She slowly escaped the corner, a sundress adorning her, far too casual for royalty. "I... I was hoping t-to be, able to w, watch..."

"What do you think, Marina?"

Marina followed along, listening intently to his request. It seemed... a bit intimidating at first. She wasn't that good, was she? She felt it was already tough enough keeping up with the other knights, but she’d seen Asger in action... and it was almost intimidating how tough he was. But it was for a good cause: Prove she's worthy to be the Hero they want her to be.

It was just then, the girl was called out. She turned to face the Princess that had suddenly appeared. Maybe I should be working on spatial awareness too. Thinking a bit on it, Tenna did come this way just to watch her. It'd be a good bit of inspiration to not fail.

"Of course you can, milady." Marina gave a soft, yet confident smile. "I'll be sure to work extra hard since you came all this way."

"Milady? Hah. If Marina is fine with it, then I see no issue, Tenna." Asger continued along, the princess trying to follow along at their pace.

"H-He's, right Marina... You... Y-You can just call me Tenna." Arms held behind her back, Coteon's princess was looking anywhere other than the two of them, trying to hide her embarrassment over having been spotted. "I'm sure you called B-Brother something important and he corrected y-you too..."

"O-Oh alright Tenna..." Marina nervously laughed, "Sorry, I'm just... Trying to be respectful is all. It's a habit. And yes, Tenna... He did correct me too," It struck her as so odd, now that she thought about it. They were...

"Thank you, by the way... I've... never really had any friends back home. I've only been here a few months, but you've made me feel so welcome," Unfortunately, she couldn't help but let herself be vulnerable at the moment. This really was so much more different than her life had previously been... Before, she wouldn't bat an eye to anyone and no one would notice her. Now, she couldn't walk two feet without someone greeting her, "It's been... an interesting experience."

"R-Really?" Tenna managed a smile at that, finally catching up to the two of them, flashing a wider smile at Marina. "I'm really, g-glad... You've... Been a really good friend too, M, Marina."

"You respect us enough as it is, Marina. I understand that we are the future of Coteon, but... So long as we're together like this, please. We're just friends." Asger huffed, but smiled, glancing at Marina and his sister. Not a month ago, she was still hiding in her room, terrified of everything. She had been, for years... Marina had managed to get her to speak up, even leave her room. She only did so for Marina, so their little hero was definitely just a crutch, but... You needed one to learn how to walk again. Tenna would find her way, without Marina, one day.

"I am glad, at least, that we can make you feel welcome, Marina. You've been nothing but kind and interesting since you arrived. You deserve to feel comfortable, at the very least." Confident in his assessment, Asger led them towards the training grounds, hopeful to see Marina's sword arm in action.

The training hall of Coteon's castle was well lit, well armed, and wide enough for several combatants to practice at the same time. Asger stood, wooden training weapon in hand, awaiting Marina. She'd been shown to her weapon, and to some armor she could wear for this.

"Brother!" Tenna called over, from a bench on the side of the room. "D-Don't, go too hard on her! Okay?"

"I will treat Marina like the warrior she is. To do any less would be looking down on her."

Marina quickly advanced to getting herself readied to fight. She quickly put on her armor, still not accustomed to the weight of it, all things considered. She still had a small frame, despite how much stronger she had been getting. She drew the mock sword she was given, giving a few quick swings to feel the weight, a quick twirl of it; a good trick she learned from her mom with a spatula... I'm surprised it even works the same way... 

With a deep breath, she began walking closer to prepare for her engagement. Determined not to lose, she decided to give a confident comment back to Tenna, "Don't worry! If anything, you should worry about your brother," flashing a smile. Her eyes returned to Asger, her attitude making a heel-turn as her gaze focused on the opponent in front of her.

"I'm giving you everything I've got, Asger."

"Wow! You're so c-cool, Marina!" Tenna clapped from her seat, smiling, surprised Marina was so confident. It was nice, though.

"Your confidence is welcome, Marina... But overconfidence will leave you crying on the floor." Asger brought his sword up, two gauntlet covered hands on the hilt, ready for the hero. "Come at me when you're prepared."

Overconfidence. Haha.

Funnily enough, her confidence was not as high as she made it out to be, but maybe... she could find a way to use that to her advantage. Being so much smaller than the knights she fought, she always had to do that: find smarter ways to overcome larger opponents. And now, one of the strongest fighters in the kingdom was staring her down.

And he's been watching me... He knows how I fight. Oh well, Time to see what he'll catch.

She took a step forward, pointing her blade towards the Prince, taking another deep breath. She almost spoke, but remembered that anything she said could be used against her. She took a few steps from side to side, getting a read on his guard, annnnnnd... Go! She charged ahead, taking a couple of swings, keeping mind of any moment to block, retreated after only a few seconds to gauge his reaction…

A strong charge, but without enough of a plan. The first swing was blocked, the second as well-- But before she could retreat, she was parried, hard. The hefty counter would've flung the sword out of anyone else's grip, but Marina had enough practice to at least stay holding it. That said, she'd been knocked back several feet, Asger taking up stance again with a smirk, allowing her to gain her composure.

"A piece of advice, Marina. I am your enemy right now! Come at me with intent to strike me down!"

She expected Asger to parry, but not as hard as he did. Or as quick. She shook her head back into focus as she caught her balance. She needed to be more agile...

But this armor...

Without a second thought, she unhooked her chest plate, taking it off completely and dropping it to the ground. If she was afraid of her torso getting hit, she'd just have to watch out more. And if she got hit... it would only hurt for a little bit.

She made her way back into swinging at Asger. An idea... not the smartest, but... I can pull it off. Every hit had a little bit of extra energy to it. What she needed was to be caught in a blade lock. It wouldn't be easy, but she was determined to succeed.

"Oh?" She was strong, but small... Perhaps she felt she could move better without that weighing her down? "That's going to hurt if I decide to swing back." Still, it was courageous, enough for him to smile wider. She'd come swinging again, harder, faster this time. A wise decision, then... But... As their blades met and caught for a moment, he chuckled. "Good, good, but you'll need to do more, Marina!"

A grunt and a hefty shove knocked her lock to the side, as his foot raise, crashing into her stomach, sending her sprawling out onto the floor.

"Asger!" Tenna stood up, almost running over--

"Stay there! Marina is not as weak as you think, to be bested by a single kick!"

"B-But... You're, b-being, too rough!"

"She is the hero... I will not pull my punches on someone that deserves my respect."

She got it! Now she just needed to...

Oh no.

He was able to quickly knock her blade aside, and suddenly, she felt a jolt of pain as she was thrown to the floor so quickly. She coughed a bit, but she wasn't one to give up so easily. As she brought herself off the ground, "I-I'm fine, Tenna!" Planting her sword down, she used it to prop herself back up.

"Don't count me out just yet," So he was gonna play just like she was. Okay, she can work with that. She took a second, swiping sweat from her face. She had a good idea now. Now, to try again with some extra steps...

Inhale, exhale... Marina decided first to let the pain in her chest subside a bit. Too early, and she might've been unable to get up a second time. She paced around Asger, keeping a constant eye on his body motion. The look in his eyes. He was perfectly ready for her to attack again.

Going in again, she attempted the same attack again, going to lock blades with the prince. She'd use his superior strength to her advantage. Allowing him to overpower her, she still pushed with extra strength to make him force her down harder...

If I time it right, this could work... fail... and I might not be able to win... Taking a huge gamble, she let go of her sword in an attempt to throw the prince off balance with his weight down on her blade. She took one of her arms and swung to strike him directly to his face, following up quickly with a jab from the other arm into his torso.

Going for the same thing again? Marina... As before, he blocked her swings, getting them locked again... "Marina, you're not strong enough for this sort of--" Suddenly his balance was gone, stiffening his leg to hold himself up. "What-- Ngh!" With what few moments he had, Asger managed to slide his face out of the way, but her other blow...

Metal resounded against metal, Asger taking a small step back... And laughing. "You madwoman! Hah! Hahaha!" He set his sword down, trying to contain his laughter, as Tenna rushed over to her.

"M-Marina, that... Th-That was really, foolish..." Gently taking her arm and sliding that gauntlet off of her... One of  her fingers was definitely out of place, and her knuckled bloodied. "Geez... Okay, uhm..." Focusing, Tenna did her best to use the magic she'd been learning to heal the girl's hand, the wounds slowly disappearing one after another. "Th... There."

"Alright, Marina. You win. Goodness... What a reckless move, but, a hit is a hit."

The jolt of pain was almost unbearable. She expected the gauntlet to eat most of the impact, but she maybe swung too hard. It got her knuckle and spread halfway to her elbow. She couldn't help a brutal cry as she dropped to her knees, holding her hand. Calming down a bit, she was able to make a laugh through the pain as Tenna removed her gauntlet.

"Hehe-e... S-sorry it was... The best I could think of at the moment..." Relief suddenly overtook her, and she watched her hand heal. The pain was completely gone! Magic in this world always continued to intrigue and amaze Marina. "Thank you, Tenna. I feel a lot better."

She stood up, "Thank you, Asger," and gave a laugh, unhindered by the pain her hand just felt. Then, she gave a confident smirk, "I didn't cry on the floor."

"So you didn't. I'm proud of you, Marina... This means I'll have far less to worry about when you're sent to the front. Come back alive, our Hero." Asger gently pat her on the shoulder, collecting the weapons to put away.

"... Honestly... If you didn't have t-to, fight... That'd be, for the, b-best..." Tenna sighed, standing up properly, still holding Marina's hand. "But... I'll, b-be wa, waiting for you to c... Come back, Marina. Promise me?" She looked the girl in the eyes, almost pouting. "You... Y-You, will come back... Right?"

"I'm glad to have boosted your faith in me..." She replied to the prince, but soon she suddenly had her attention directed towards the princess. There was a moment where she was caught by a pause. She gave a reassuring smile, taking Tenna's hand with both of hers.

"Come on, don't pout like that, Tenna." Marina gave her a warm smile, "I'll be back before you know it." Then, she had an idea, "Here," She reached into her shirt, pulling out a necklace she was wearing. At the end was a small locket, inside carrying a clock (that hadn't worked since she got here), and a picture of Marina with her family. She handed it to Tenna,

"In my world, we call this an 'insurance policy'. I'll have to come get that back, right?"

"Th-This... I'm... I, th, thank, y-y-y-you..." Tenna was clearly too flustered by the sudden reply, delicately holding onto the trinket, like any sudden movement would cause it to shatter. "I'll... Y-Yes! You'll have to!" Tenna was smiling so bright, it made Asger flinch when he finally turned around.

"Are you truly my sister? To think you've managed to make her this happy, Marina... Goodness. You have my thanks, and my respect. I can't believe I have two sisters, hah!" She'd grown so close, there was no harm in joking about it, at this point. "That was all I'd come to ask of you today, Marina. I am grateful for your time. Should you wish it, I would be more than happy to spar again... You are, of course, free to do as you wish, for the rest of the day. Keep her company, if she so desires, would you, Tenna?" Asger waved at the two of them as he turned to leave.

"I-- O-Of course! If... If you want, Marina."

Seeing the girl in front of her so happy, considering everything from their first meeting. It felt nice. Someone who understood her so well... Despite being quite literally worlds apart. "Then I'll be sure to be back in one piece, then." Marina brightly replied.

Turning back to Asger, she nodded, "Thank you... I, it's an honor to be considered your sister." She thought about it... She honestly didn't want to end up busting her hand again. She turned to Tenna, giving an approved nod, "Of course. I'd love to do that. If you want, I can tell you about more 'movies' I like," Another thing they had in common. At least... Tenna always seemed to enjoy when Marina talked about things from her world.

"O-Oh! Really!? That... I'd love that, really~!" Tenna was nearly a completely different person when she was talking to Marina. She still couldn't shake her stutter, but she was bright, cheerful and smiled. Hearing about another world was fascinating, even if some of the things Marina said, she just couldn't believe. "L-Let's go back t-to your room, o, or mine, then... And, w-we can talk the afternoon... A-Away."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"And this is why this was a stupid idea... I'm going to chew Thesephine's ear off when we get back." Lavinia was scowling now, she understood why the girl had no trust in Marina, but to do something like this, so early, while Marina was still struggling to even start forgiving herself... What a childish move. Fitting, but, childish. "It's alright, Marina..." Lavinia slowly made her way over and gave the girl a half hug, resting a hand on her head, trying to calm her down. "Erephis, can you, get rid of those?"

"Uwahhh... Ahhh... R-Right!" With a snap, the skeletons fell apart, leaving the night quiet again, the groups staring at each other. Erephis shot her hand up, trying to smile. "U-Uh! Sorry! That was, all... Thing are over, s-so... Erm, h-hello!"

"You're a mess, you know that?" Lavinia knew it was all the glasses doing, but still...

Marina had gone in, but after dropping the Holy Sword? How could she hope to contend with an adversary that could cleanly take out Lavinia so decisively,  on her own with just a stock blade of iron? Nessraya racked her brain for any way to intervene, but from this distance the options were slim, and not within her safely usable arsenal. She had been about to dip into a more drastic measure, when their interloper unveiled herself as... Erephis? 

And suddenly it was all over. A test? It had all been a test?! Such an utterly stupid test at that! Stomping her way up to the lamia, as comical as it might have looked with Nessraya standing well over a foot shorter than Erephis' resting height, and glared up at the lamia librarian with ire visible on her face.

"All of this? For a blasted test? Breaking what sounded like several of Lavinia's ribs, whatever it is you did to Asami, and risking your own damn life if she chose to use the damn sword?! For a damned TEST?! I was moments away from shaving a decade off of my life trying to turn you into a frozen Lavinia snack so that you wouldn't obliterate the only chance we have of restoring trade with Hwein and fixing this damned mess, and you're telling me it was all just a test?! Were either of YOU TWO aware of this?!" Nessraya accused, repeatedly jabbing her finger at Erephis, visibly fuming.

The tension ... the tension was still there but it was wrong, somehow. Familiar, and wrong. It wasn't long before Requiem discovered the reason why things seemed off all of a sudden. The fighting was quickly coming to a halt. In the time it took the cursed spear to realize its feast had been cut laughably short, hostilities had ended. The chances of taking in more power for the time being were vanishingly small, and every second spent in another form was a burden on Requiem's already limited reserves ...

'Three ... two ... one ... zero ...' Just like before, the end of the count marked the end of the transformation, and Xalrei was left holding the cursed blade, no longer a menacing spear.

His conversation with Taliyah had been cut short in an instant, as chaos exploded around them. Lavinia captured in an instant, with Marina being called to fight. The next second, a line of threatening skeletons had appeared in a flash of blue flame and then combat erupted. Asami had shown up from... somewhere, he wasn't entirely sure, as she helped Ness and Xal destroy one of the monsters. Bladen had barely had a chance to draw his own sword to try and help out those around him when an angry voice cut through the night air. Marina, and she was angry. But not in a combat way, it didn't seem. And in fact, the skeletons suddenly disappeared around them and everything started to settle.

Sheathing his unsullied blade, he scowled from a distance at the lamia who seemed to be on their side now. Some instinct of his left him distrustful of her kind, perhaps the knowledge that she could crush his wings and his body in a split second in that tail of hers. Rather than approach her and join in on the surely very interesting conversation, he instead headed over Xalrei, just in time to see the spear in her hand transform back into the sword he recognized from earlier. With a nod at the weapon, he commented, "Good fighting there, though I'm surprised to see you using that blade. I thought it would be off limits, given it's the blade of the Demon King and all."

"General Nessraya is right. This test was very unnecessary." Speaking words he'd never thought to say, Agni walked towards the gathering around Marina and the lamia with a watchful eye. "Speak to your king well of Marina's conviction, so that she does not doubt it again." How bothersome... at least Marina had done well this one test.

"Marina, you've spent enough energy for the night, you should get some rest posthaste." Agni placed a hand on Marina's shoulder, a sorry look her way, for once. The girl was too emotionally invested in all this. "Lavinia, how are you doing? If this snake tried to crush you... then Nessraya should aid you to shape."

"I wasn't aware of anything, Nessraya... Er..." Agni was here, too... What a mess. "Agni is right, Nessraya, please, take care of my wounds. Much as I can't feel it, I'm sure something's wrong. Erephis doesn't hold back when she's unrestrained." What a problem this had become. Marina was so shaken, too... Lavinia slowly approached her, gently patting her hair, trying to console her. "It's okay, Marina. This was foolish, but you overcame it, and I'm very proud of you." While the test had been pointless, it had proved one thing... Marina was willing to forego her own safety, for the sake of all of them. While that selflessness was too far beyond what was necessary, she wasn't about to betray them. "I'm happy that you're okay, Marina. Even if Thesephine doesn't trust you... I do. I promise." Whether it would be worth anything or not, at this point, would remain to be seen.

Taliyah flopped and sighed, slowly collapsing onto her back with a small groan. "This was so silly..."

Erephis was shaking now, shrinking down to Nessraya's height. "Nessy... P-Please don't, get mad at me... Thesephine to-took these off, and then she ordered me too... You... You know the other, me would never say no..." Erephis was holding her hands out, almost trying to hug the general, but recoiling back before she could get them near her, too afraid to fully try to. She seemed so upset... She'd never seen Nessraya this upset.

"I knew," Asami said with a yawn, joining the mess, "but that was only because once I was being attacked by a lamia~" She cracked her neck, stretched her back, and then started working on her arms, heading back towards their small campsite. "We should get some sleep, now that this nonsense is over, yes? Nessraya, you seem quite, quite upset, so if Erephis isn't going to take care of you tonight as pay back, I could use the relaxation~ I'm so stiff! Getting tossed around by a snake tail, getting that sack of... What was that anyway?"

"B-Books," Erephis cautiously replied. "P-Pay her back? Me? I... N-No, there's... No way she'd, want someone like me, there's... S-So many more, pretty people here."

"Oh, Erephis, you naive little snake... Sack of books, was it? It was all over me, and well... I'm knackered. Get some sleep, everyone!" Probably the most sensible advice Asami would be giving anyone.

Marina was able to slowly but surely uncurl from her angered trance. It took a minute, but she wasn't ready to just come out, afraid she'd just start yelling again. She looked up, and the first person she saw was Lavinia, thankfully, and she tried grabbing at her to help prop herself back up. However, she had to retract her hands... those damned burns in her hands... She latched on as well as she could with her wrists, slowly bringing herself back up.

Her legs were still shaking, and her breathing was light. Tonight was... something, even more trying than the last, somehow. She heard Lavinia's praise, but she wasn't sure how to take it. It mattered a lot to her, didn't it? But why did it feel so empty. She gave a look, observing her chest to see if she could at-all judge the damage that was done to her. Not certain of her condition, she looked up, "Y-You're okay too, right?" She asked in an exhausted tone. What mattered to her was the whole reason she even threw herself into danger was for Lavinia... Even now, she was still concerned. Stop that, you have other things to worry about.

Marina turned to Agni, unhooking Myrithali's sheath from her belt, ignoring the burns on her hands, handing the sheath to him, "Agni, if you could... I'm having my own issues with the Holy Sword. I, trust it'll be safe with you, if I can't hold it." Her burned hands visible despite holding the sheath. After that, she turned to Nessraya, "After you're finished with Lavinia, I think I need some healing as well, Nessraya..."

Despite all of this, I have to keep on, right? But dammit, what is going on with me? And the sword?

She did want to address the lamia, and she was well on her way to, but she felt about exhausted she was. She fell back down to one knee, but she was able to push herself back up, "I-I think some rest would be a... great idea, honestly."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"I know, Erephis." Nessraya replied after a moment, her finger no longer jabbing the air as she let her arm flop to her side with a hard sigh. It was impossible to stay upset with Erephis once she had gone timid... what would the point be, anyway? She still couldn't bring herself to grin, although the flaky display coming from the Lamia almost did it, the General bringing her hand up and flicking Erephis on the forehead.

"Enough of that, already. Gather yourself, I have some wounds to fix. And that would be lovely, Asami." Nessraya added, pulling out her staff and walking towards Lavinia and Marina. Starting with Lavinia, Nessraya focused the glow of the healing orb on her for several moments, before shaking her head and hovering it over Marina's burned hands, the pain swiftly fading away.

"Lavinia, off with your shirt. Since you can't feel if anything is wrong, I need to make sure that your bones have set properly... I'm not used to dealing with... this sort of injury." Nessraya concluded, turning back towards Lavinia and giving her a scrutinizing gaze, already poking at and testing her arms since they were ready and available.

"Oh... S-So you don't, want me? Phew... I would've just been a disappointment, anyway." Erephis smiled, and slowly slid past the debacle, heading off to make camp and try to relax. So long as things were no longer a problem...

Lavinia, though... "If this is an attempt to feel me up, you will regret it, Nessraya." With a hefty squint, Lavinia rolled her shirt up enough to fold the bottom half onto her chest, revealing her abs and stomach, with a cautious glance at both Marina and Agni. "This should be more than enough for you to handle what you need to. No reason to lose all of my dignity over some ribs..."

"Yes yes Lavinia, I am well aware." Nessraya rolled her eyes, before testing Lavinia's stomach and sides in a few places, checking for tender spots or bruising. It was over rather quickly, Nessraya tapping her staff onto a light bruise lingering on Lavinia's side before pulling away. 

"There. I didn't feel anything else amiss. I hope for your sake you don't come to me with one of those ribs sticking out of you, over your precious modesty."

Gabriela was confused, but ultimately glad that they didn't have keep fighting, and even moreso that Asami was okay. The lamia's transformation into a meek girl was a bit of a shock though. She felt a little bad that everyone was bad-mouthing her though. "Hey, is it really alright to be mad at Erephis? She was ordered by the king, so she couldn't disobey, right?" Gabriela hoped that made her feel a little better. Certainly an interesting lady indeed. She had not seen a Lamia before. They are kind of majestic in their own right.

On the other hand, she looked to Asami, who seemed to be her usual self. "I am glad you seem to be well, Asami. I was very worried about you."

Spurred on by the cursed weapon in her grasp, Xalrei was more than ready to continue fighting, even with the weapon draining away her life as well. However, before she could go for another swing everything was... over? From Marina's yelling and the explanations that followed, yes the fighting was over. Even Requiem had realized it, reverting back into its original form. Xalrei didn't know how to feel about the situation at hand. On one hand, she understood quite well where the Demon King was coming from; however, from what she'd seen by observing Marina... There was no need for this test. It left a bad taste in her mouth, which was nearly as surprising as the 'test' itself had been.

Before she could make her way over to voice her own complaints, Bladen had approached her, praising her prowess and commenting on Requiem. "I thought it'd be too, to be honest. But since no one's paid for it yet it's still the merchant's sword right now. So I guess she can decide what she does with it. Though, I didn't clear it with anyone on the Demon King's side of things. Not like there was time too..." Ugh, I should probably go do that. Jade had wanted to finish negotiations too, and she had wanted to ask Erephis a question of her own about- Oh, there she was now, slithering by them on her way towards camp.

Before she could entirely slip past, Xalrei called out to her. "Hey, Erephis right? Do you, uh, happen to know of a naga called Laselia?" It was a long shot and certainly based on bad logic. Just because both women happened to belong to snake-like races, and also happened to be in the employ of very important people, didn't mean they knew each other or would even be on each others' radar. There was really no reason to expect Erephis would know anything about Laselia, but still, she had to ask. "And, if you did, you wouldn't also happen to know where she was last seen, would you?" For once, the usually stoic dragonewts' emotions were on display. Clearly worried about Erephis' answer, yet not for the reasons one might suspect.

And there went the dragonewt's attention, pulled away... to the snake. He couldn't help the grimace that flashed across his face as he attempted to shift his position so that Xalrei was between him and the lamia. He really did want to talk to Xalrei, given he barely knew anything about her, but this situation wasn't exactly his ideal one. He'd seen enough from the now quiet and unassuming woman during the battle to know that he didn't want to be any closer to the lamia than he had to be, but still. "Ugh, why'd she have to be the one you wanted to talk to..." The mutter was hopefully not even loud enough for Xalrei to hear. The words had really just slipped out, and were not exactly something he wanted anyone, but especially not Erephis to hear. He wasn't in the mood for a healing tonight...

"Marina, your hands..." Agni took the sheated blade, unable to miss what Marina had done to herself. "Why did this happen? Be careful..." How strange... he'd need to ask about it later, if it turned out too serious.

In the end, Marina proved herself selfless enough to the selfish Demon King, and now they could finally make it back to their camp. "There's little dignity lost in mending serious wounds, Lavinia. Especially internal ones. You are fine." Rather fit, too, as expected of a prideful knight like her... "You have nothing to be ashamed of." Agni shook his head, he digressed. "Still, now that this is over, let's get back to camp, yes?" With the Myrithali in his possession, Agni would need to exercise extra care from there on out, for Marina as well. Holding the scabbard with his belt would do for now. "Knowing our luck, it's bound to rain again soon."

While she was relieved that her hands were healed, her face had no showing of it. Marina simply looked at her hands, almost with an empty gaze. She couldn't understand what had happened either. "I... I don't know." Was all she could answer, as she looked over at Nessraya checking on Lavinia. Thankfully, she was fine as well. At that point, she could give a sigh of relief. The test was aggravating, but she felt victorious in the fact that Lavinia was okay.

As well, she got a good look at Lavinia's abs while Nessraya checked on her. Just how I imagined... Any other time, she may have given a whistle just to try and tease her. But right now... she just wanted some sleep and to forget this night even happened.

With things wrapped up, she gave a small nod in agreement to Agni, turning around and making her way back to camp. Slower than normal, visibly tired as she walked. She paused for a moment as she saw Myrithali on the ground. Suddenly, there was a thought... I have to think something is evil before I can hurt it. Does that mean...? Shaking her head, she ignored the thought for now. It'd be something she can experiment later; she was tired of experimenting and being tested today, walking away from the Holy Sword. As she walked, she didn't acknowledge a soul she passed. Too trapped in her own thoughts at the moment.

Several feet later, she gave a yawn as she leaned into a nearby tree. She hadn't realized how tired she was, ready to just clock out on the tree and be done with the night.

Edited by Silver Gallade

"There is plenty of dignity lost for something that won't kill me... If you are so worried, Nessraya, you can inspect me in greater detail once we arrive in Aensbrook. For now, I should be fine... Thank you." With a small huff, and a definite blush, she unfurled her shirt to cover herself again, heading back towards the campsite and collapsing against her gear. "What a stupid situation..." Hugging herself a bit, she felt her blush worsen, glancing back over at Agni. "Stop it... Focus." A heavy breath, a sigh, and she was composed again, gathering her armor and getting back to what she was doing before Erephis had interrupted things.

Said snake was about to bother Marina, before Xalrei called after her, a confused expression meeting the dragon, followed by... An awkward smile. "Ahh... Y-Yes, I... Do know her. Sort of... She's... Well, er, m-make some time, once we hit the village, Xalrei." Hopefully that was enough of an explanation as to where Laselia was. "Uhm... S-So, yes! Enjoy your conversation with the fallen... S-Sorry for making it awkward for you, mister fallen." It was clear her presence was an annoyance, likely due to their races, but... She wasn't about to hurt anyone (like this), leaving her a bit sad about the reaction.

Wandering her way over to Marina, Erephis kept a few feet between them, hoping not to scare her. "Uh... M-Miss Marina? Would you, like something to rest on? Instead of the tree..."

"Hmmm? Ah, Gabriela, of course. Your wallet is safe and sound~" With her tongue stuck out, she giggled, sighing. "I kid, I kid... Erephis couldn't kill me unless I let her, but she did surprise me just a bit... Still, not that she's sealed, we have nothing to worry about. Unless Nessraya gets a bright idea, but, I can't see her doing that..." Asami found a comfortable spot near the center of camp to lay down in, sliding her tail under her head and sighing into it. "So stiff... Maybe Nessraya can... Wait until Aensbrook~"

Well, the summoned fiends were incredibly sturdy, and only the one that concentrated magic had been blasted at was actually felled, though the killing stroke was from her sword. That fact made Jade slightly giddy, after the frustration of a possible long battle of attrition was erased by the conjurer abruptly dispelling them, revealing it had all been some elaborate trust testing.

The hero, on the other hand, had not gotten any sort of elation upon the big ruse reveal. On the contrary, she tossed the holy sword to the ground, and screamed in frustration. While not exactly the sort of situation the merchant really wanted to involve herself in--hysterics in general that is, nothing specifically against the hero herself--there was enough curiosity to edge herself closer that way, applying pressure with her knees and guiding the nightmare that direction while keeping enough distance from other members of the party to avoid trampling them by accident, or kicking over tents, or anything else destructive. In fact, Jade figured, atop of Burnt Umber here, she was probably the only one currently in the same weight class as that snake, this Erephis. Height class too, assuming the lamia drew herself up a little, converting some of her raw length. That made her feel a little more secure, gave an added reason to lazy a little, instead of dismounting and leading her along instead.

By the time she'd slowly made her way over, the other human had scooped up the fallen sword, depositing it into the sheath he'd been given from Marina, then promptly tucked away into his belt. So much for a closer look at the blade, or anything else. Unless... No, she needed to get back to the wagon soon anyway, Xalrei would undoubtedly be headed there again and they would conclude negotiations. But, hmm.

There was no reason Agni couldn't accompany her. She'd just have to provide a fitting excuse. Settling upon one, Jade nodded to herself, then finally got around to dismounting--less awkward to approach that way, and the lamia was now behind her, and had remained in her more timid form for long enough the merchant was starting to feel... if not comfortable with her, accepting at least.

"Ah, Agnis, was it?" The zombie hailed him gently but directly as she walked closer, leading the 'mare behind her. "You look well-born, probably familiar with horses, yes? While my nightmares are certainly a breed apart, there are enough similarities it ought to be possible to transfer some of that knowledge I should think. I still need to groom and feed them, after our long day on the road, and now this... And well, there's two of them, and only one of me, so I thought it might go faster if, assuming you wouldn't mind terribly helping out, you might consider accompanying me back to the wagon, where I've left DV on guard, and lending a hand? I would appreciate it greatly."

Ah, she had just been incredibly rude to Bladen just now. He was still sticking around, even if he was using her like a wall, so she'd get her chance to apologize, at least. As for what she had ignored him for... As soon as Erephis had given Xalrei her answer the dragonewt had hidden her face behind her free claw, a muffled groan escaping her lips. Of all of the help her father had available, why did it have to have been Laselia? She was getting a headache just thinking about what was waiting for her tomorrow.

Whether or not Erephis knew of the reason behind the question, it was probably for the best that she had slithered away after answering. Her fears confirmed, Xalrei turned back to Bladen and let her claw fall back to her waist, an apologetic and distraught look on her face. "Sorry about that. I just... really needed to know." She shook her head and muttered to her herself as she slumped, though it was easily loud enough to overhear. "Kinda wish I hadn't asked, now..." Oh right, Bladen wouldn't know about any of this. He probably hadn't come over to learn about her personal life.

Quieting her dread of tomorrow, Xalrei stood up straight and did her best to return to her 'normal'. "Anyway! What were we talking about? Requiem, right? Or did you want to talk about something else?" 

And after the blade was picked up off the ground and sheathed, Agni resumed observing the others. Erephis was rather the opposite of a threat at this point, so his attention quickly waned on that end. Marina had gone to rest against a tree... not a tent, but it'd have to be adequate until they set something up. Lavinia also walked away, protesting against further care to save some of her dignity, or some such. Agni kept his eyes trained as she walked away... did she look back at him for a moment there?

Agni turned his head to pay due attention to their new merchant companion, a puzzled, quick glance at her... steed. "Just Agni. Greetings, miss Persyn. I do know how to groom a horse, but are you sure they'll be comfortable with me?" They weren't quite like the horses Agni saw back home, that much was certain... "Otherwise, it's a reasonable request. We depend on these horses and your wagon." It wouldn't do to shirk some work for Marina's sake.

Marina was seconds from being completely out until she was addressed by someone. Turning her head around, she noticed... Erephis, she remembered. She wasn't sure how to think of the lamia just yet. She understood a bit of what she was told, but even then, she was caught up in her anger earlier. "N-No thank you, Miss Erephis, I... I just need to get back to my tent," and she pushed herself off the tree.

Taking a few steps, Marina realized she probably wouldn't make it back to her tent on her own. Sucking it up, she decided it'd be best to give Erephis a chance. That's what I want, isn't it? She walked over to the lamia with a light smile, "I guess a f-few minutes wouldn't hurt." She answered, taking a look at her long body, giving a confused look. "Uh... how will this work?"

Edited by Silver Gallade