Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taiyute was barely able to get a word out before watching the zombie attack the oncoming individual. Watching her, and as well as a winged individual, "{Fallen Angel.}" pass around some strange weapon to destroy the individual they encountered. Enamored, Taiyute nodded her head, "I am... thankful, yes. I will make the best of my ability," 

She saw an individual, undoubtedly human attacking one of the men trying to break away with some loot from the town. Seeing the man not hit his mark, she had to make a difficult decision. Only so long in this plain meant she still had getting used to, her abilities weren't up to their speed. But she wasn't gonna let some crook take advantage of misfortune.

As the thief prepared his escape, she took a step in front of him, a face without fear as her gaze seemingly pierced straight into the thief's soul.

"{You will have to cut me down before you can run, fool.}" Despite the awareness of her weaknesses, her voice showed no fear, even if more than likely unintelligible to her opponent. A defensive plan. Attacking recklessly would only cause demise.

Taiyute moves to 10,3 and stands her ground!

Edited by Silver Gallade

Something about Lavinia's choice of words didn't sit well with the dragon; though, the information conveyed wasn't anything she wasn't already aware of. Whether it was just her tiredness or the unfortunate timing of this being a night battle, Lavinia's words dredged up thoughts that Xalrei had no place thinking, let alone in the middle of battle. "I know what my life's worth. And I can handle myself." Even without the dangerous doubts now floating around in her head, Xalrei wasn't in the mood to be lectured by anyone. Even if it was Lavinia. Even if she was just looking out for her and, rightfully so given her current state, concerned about her.

Back to the fight at hand, there had been a distinct lack of cry of pain from where Agni had cast his magic. Whoever he had been aiming must've been fleeing the house, unless Agni had snapped and started attacking civilians. While she wouldn't put that past him, that didn't seem to be the case here. Dashing off and around the corner, hoping to block the would be successful thief, she nearly crashed into a woman mad out of... Wind? Who the hell...? Regardless, she had beaten her there, standing imposingly infront of the thief. All Xalrei could do was stare the burglar down.

Xalrei moves to 11,3, glares daggers at thief.

Goodness, was something in the air? Perhaps it was just the last of sleep, but everyone seemed so very, very irate... Lavinia wasn't quite sure what to make of it. "What else could go wrong?"

Enemy Phase/Turn 3!

The thief that Taiyute has blocked off isn't appreciating that!
Roll1: 89,40
He misses!
Taiyute winds him back!
Roll: 57,14
11 damage!
He swings once more!
Roll2: 57,63
15 damage!
Taiyute gains +11 exp, +1 anima wexp!

How frustrating for the thief!

The one Ren is blocking decides he makes for good prey!
Roll1: 80,32
A whiff!
Ren counters!
Roll: 31,16
Critical hit!
48 damage!
The thief is slain!
Ren gains +57 EXP, +2 lance WEXP!
The Thief drops Geoffrey's Locket!
Ren levels!
Level 7! +HP/SPD/RES!

"What's going on!? This was supposed to be an easy job! Rrrhhh... Jurius!"

"Yulius, sir..."

"Whatever! Go and deal with some of them!"

"Yes, sir..."

Julius moves a bit, and casts Eclipse on Taliyah!
Roll: 90,10
Miss!
"What the-- Wahh! D-Dark magic!? From... Th, That guy! Ohhhh, you jerk!"

And lastly... The axe thief, his target cut off, charges Jade!
Roll: 70,11
12 damage!
Jade counters!
Roll: 48,26
He's down hard!
Jade gains +54 EXP, +4 gun WEXP!
Jade levels!
Level 8!

Player Phase/Turn 4!

Jade's hunger sets in...
Better Dead heals her for 14 HP!

XGxnyrF.png

Goal: Defeat the last 2 thieves!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Another faint tugging, strength sapping, as Requiem did its work. Given how zombies felt pain, the cursed sword was much more noticeable to Jade than the dagger that Richter threw her way, even if the latter actually did more damage, would require more to properly mend. The vampire's aim had been good, right for center of mass; if she'd been living, it might have changed that. As it was now, the only concerns it presented the merchant were getting her to start thinking about how she probably ought to pull it out, so as not to upset Marina if she were to catch sight of it, and then the stray idle thought that now there'd probably be matching scars on her chest, one on each side. It was as she was distracted then, that Bladen swooped in, snatched Requiem from her and tried some fancy moves with it.

Jade grumbled halfheartedly--inaudible to anyone without exceptional hearing, and only then if they were standing rather nearby--first mimicking his promise to return it, then muttering about whether it would have really been too much for the man to ask for permission rather than forgiveness. But despite the posturing, she really wasn't all that upset. Just observing the sword being used, changing forms, taking lives... it was fascinating no matter who held it. Would she have maybe liked to fire another couple rounds with it before having to give it up, yes, but it wasn't as if she didn't have other guns. And so she'd turned, eyeing the rifle she'd set down in the passenger seat, wondering if maybe it wasn't the time to try that baby out.

That was when the axe caught her between the shoulder-blades, and then as the thief wielding it wrenched backward, she came with it, pulled from her place behind the reins and falling to the ground, rolling some distance away. The pistol at her belt would have to do it then. By the time the thought had finished, she'd already fired the shot; the bullet entered the base of dwarf's chin, and blasted a hole in the back of his skull, scattering blood and brains behind him.

It smelled... delicious. She was hungry. Famished. Ravenous. Jade awoke to a buffet of smells, all around her.

One delightful smell even closer than the dwarf that had triggered the change in her. Not quite like roasted chicken, but almost. Duck? No... swan. Black swan. Not roasted though, but that was fine too. Raw was also good. Just, avoid getting a mouthful of feathers. Lumbering to her feet, she found herself barely a half a stride away. Time to just, reach out and...

When Bladen felt a hand clasp on his shoulder, he probably didn't think much of it. Seemed to think it was just Jade come to get the sword, "Oh come on, I said I'd give it--AUGH!" But the dismissive protestation quickly gave way to a scream of pain as he felt sharp teeth close firmly around him, biting deeply into the flesh of his upper arm. Not his dominant hand, thankfully, and instinctively he swung hard at the assailant with the pommel of his sword, a loud crack sounding out as reward for his efforts. The vicegrip tightness slackened, and he was able to shove the attacker away, although they lashed out in return, sharp nails scoring deep marks across his chest as they tore through his shirt. But that was the last of it, the unbalanced attacker had fallen.

Reaching a hand to her dislocated jaw, clumsily trying to shove it back into place, the eyes that stared up at him were tiny, blazing red points, burning at the center of pupils gone wide enough to swallow the entire iris. Wait, he recognized that face. "...Jade? What the..." But she was reaching out for his ankle now, so kicking the grasping hand away he quickly beat a retreat, and as he turned to check if he'd made it far enough away he saw her turn and crawl the other direction. Towards a fallen body.

Marina moves to 21,10

The first attack from this swordfighter was easily dodged, and a quick blast of Wind magic was on point. However, a second strike from the thief ended in a stab through Taiyute's cloak and into her chest, but she didn't appear phased. A quick kick and she pushed away her foe. She took a step back and assessed her wound; it wasn't too bad, but the problem wasn't the wound itself, but what she required to fully heal it. Shaking her head, she grabbed a vulnerary she had been given for her travels. A quick small recovery, than to deal with the one who seemed to be attacking another individual from the other side of the buildings.

Looking to the Dragonewt who seemed to approach her, hopefully for the thief and not her, she gave a nod, "I assume this one is... defeatable in an easy manner, yes? I will deal with and go to... that one," and she pointed at the Dark Mage. "Practice caution, you seem much damaged." A small note as a means of showing concern, as she went to deal with this one annoying bug.

Taiyute moves to 5,3 and uses a Vulnerary

Edited by Silver Gallade

It looked like they were almost done... No mortal wounds, enemies quickly thinning out, it seemed there would be no issue. Lavinia's assumption was wrong. A cry from Bladen turned her head, to see something she'd wished to not see ever, if she could help it. "Bladen! Jade!" She moved as quickly as her greaves would carry her, staff out for the Fallen. "Her bite looks shallow, and the scratch should pose no problem. Just make sure that Nessraya tends to you after the battle, alright?" Her healing would close the wound, Nessraya would be needed to make sure nothing else happened. There was no way he should turn, now, and even if he was still infected, it would take considerable time without treating him... Still.

Lavinia to 12,2, heal Bladen!
+11 EXP, +2 staff WEXP!

She focused that until he wasn't bleeding, then turned to Jade. A shudder slipped through her spine, but she wasn't lost yet... Hopefully. Jade hadn't been undead for long, right? This must've been a response to physical trauma, or her hunger getting the better or her, or... Something! "Jade! Come on, wake up. Please!" Approaching her received a growl... As she tore into the corpse of one of the marauders. "Ugh..." A hand met Jade's shoulder and was quickly shrugged off, Lavinia scowled and tried again-- to which Jade turned on her! Not enough to continue this, it seemed... Whatever fire was running in her had begun to die down. Lavinia caught a glimpse of her eyes, burning red, quickly and quietly dimming down to their amber. "Jade?" Bloodied, and wounded, it seemed like she was back. For the moment. "Oh, thank goodness!" She did her best to hug Jade while avoiding her wounds, Nessraya could come and fix them, or she could in a moment, if she needed to. "You're going to give me a heart attack... And it's not even beating anymore!"

Meanwhile...

"Now, where did I... Put, that... Ahah!" Taliyah continued darting towards their mage, quickly applying a slather of her poultice to the side of her body, where the axe had cut into her-- "Yeowch! A-Always, does sting..."

Taliyah scoots to 3,5, vulns herself

The drain from the sword had been expected. He had seen Xalrei use it enough times at this point to know that the sword took from its user in exchange for being used. It was part of why he had been hesitant to use it before now. But it was something he could withstand. He didn't want to use it often, but he could use it. He started to turn, ready to return the weapon to Jade with an apology for the abrupt taking of the weapon when suddenly...

Pain. Tearing. Scratching. His arm afire with sensation. The scream was involuntary, the striking out against his assailant deliberate. It couldn't be the vampire. He saw him on the ground. Was there another one? Finally free, with a horrific cracking noise, he twisted, flaring his wings in a show of force, ready to strike... Only to find... "Jade? What the..." She was gone, feral, taken over by instinct. And she wasn't stopping. As she grabbed at his ankle, he pushed off the ground, taking a quite literal flying leap back, only to land, stumble, and fall as his wings reverted back to their miniature versions. Scrabbling on the ground, he continued to back up as Jade turned and started devouring the corpse of the enemy that had attacked her. He could barely control his body at this point, panic setting in as the pain in his shoulder continued to grow.

A soothing force appeared out of nowhere, and he looked up to see Lavinia with her staff patching the wound. She was saying something to him, but the words weren't processing. He needed to get away. Far away. That... monster could decide to target him again. Go. Now. Away, somewhere else. Anywhere else. Clumsily, he pushed himself to his feet, turning, almost sprinting away, trying to forget the worry that he could be infected, trying to forget the worry that his comrade had turned on him and could again, trying trying, *trying*. But it wasn't enough. Would it ever be enough? A distraction, an enemy, anything. Forgetting that he still had the cursed sword in his hand, he lashed out at the thief, looking for any sort of escape from this horror he had found himself trapped in.

Bladen to 10-3, attack the thief with Requiem

Bladen's panic turns into power!
Roll: 28,47 (58,1)
Astra activates!
8 damage!
Roll2: 12,52 (41)
8 damage!
The thief is slain!
-8 HP to Bladen from Requiem
+54 exp!
Bladen levels!
Level 7! +HP/STR/SPD/DEF/RES

The sword swung down, almost seemingly to demand blood, and then... time seemed to slow. A warm feeling swelled up inside Bladen's chest, pushing back the cold and fear he had been feeling, even if only for a moment. It filled him up, a strange warmth, unlike anything he had ever felt before. Suddenly, his wings burst back out into their full size, flaring behind him. His other arm raised involuntarily, reaching for the sky. Four bright lights streamed out of his hand and settled beside the wings, forming into the shapes of swords. And then everything sped up again. Requiem descended, cutting into the thief's chest. And as it did, the four swords of light twisted, spiraling down around him, leaving trails of light as they did, before plunging into the thief and then shattering in sparks of light.

The man dropped, and Bladen dropped his arm, staggering slightly before falling to his knees, drained, tired, cold and scared again. He wanted to blame the sword for what had happened. That would be the easy explanation. But that didn't fit. He could sense the energy of the sword. Dark, hungry... Maybe even evil. That wasn't close to what he had just felt. But then what was it? The sword fell from his grasp and he stared at his now empty hands. It was just too much. Only a little while ago he had been content, asleep in his bed. Why couldn't all of this just be a nightmare?

There was a bit of sound of commotion where the rest of the fighting was taking place, but surely the others could continue to handle themselves for a few extra moments if only for Nessraya to make sure she had taken care of any remaining thieves in the area. Oh if only she knew... either way, stepping towards the still-open door of the house her latest victim had stepped out of, Nessraya poked inside, a fireball ahead of her in hand.

"If there is anyone in here, you had best show yourself. I won't suffer any more thieves skulking about."

Nessraya moves to 19,7 and visits the house

Now that thief had been dealt with, it was time to make sure the innocent villages were safe from the selfish actions of some hooligans. 

"Hello? Is anyone there? It's not safe out here."

Gabriela floats to 16,11 and visits the house.

Nessraya visits a house!

It was quite the mess, and no one was moving... Save the gentle breathing of a dwarf, clutching his side to hold a wound shut.

"Oi, yer... Sweet mercy, the general an' her people are savin' us. I'll deal with me own wound, miss, just, er... Check the table. Made a set o' master keys fer chests. Should work for a bit... Call it a reward fer helpin' us."

Nessraya gets Chest Keys!
(Her inventory is full, so they get sent to the wagon)

Gabriela visits a house!

The door was actually blocked... By a rather well spun spider's web. "Oh?" A set of eyes peered out at her from behind the web, a smile beneath them. "You're that kind avian from before... Coming to check on us during this mess, how lovely. I should be safe behind this, they didn't have any fire mages, but the gesture is definitely appreciated, all the same. Here, a gift, for making sure I'm alright, and for helping the town."

Gabriela gets an Angelic Robe!

"It's made out of my own silk! I hope you like it~"

"Nonsense... hold still." Nessraya replied, shaking her head as she crossed the room. Taking the keys that the dwarf had offered along the way, the General knelt down next to the injured man and pressed her staff to his wound, allowing a gentle healing glow to cover him.

"I don't know how many of them there are, but I've recovered all that I can, so far. We can only hope the others in the rest of this town have been so fortunate."

"Yer... Much, too kind. Tell ya what, iffin ye find my hammer-- that damn thief nabbed it-- I'll fix up one of yer weapons. Make it nice an' pretty, free of charge. Ye've already saved my life, it's the least I can do."

"Your hammer? This hammer?" Nessraya inquired, holding the forging hammer that the last thief had in his clutches out with her tail. 

"The thief escaping your house had this. I stopped him just outside the door. If you'd rather I hold onto it until this mess is finished with, I can return it later of course."

"Ah, ma'am! I should have recognized your place!" Gabriela smiles. "Thank you so much for this! I'm certain I'll find a use for this! Stay safe out there!" Gabriela waves.

Dulhaven couldn't help himself, eyes wide, lunging for his precious mallet as soon as it was spotted. "Blessed be! Thank Hess ye were here... I will. Thank ye so much, general."

"I will~ Thank you again, miss Siren." The arachnid retreated into her house, with the exchange over, humming a small song to herself.

Xalrei had missed Jade's episode, laser focused on the thief as she was. What she hadn't missed was Bladen running in front of her and obliterating the burglar in the short moment she had taken to give the wind woman a nod of acknowledgement. Was... Was that the creation magic he had talked about? She moved to congratulate him, in minor awe of what she had just witnessed. She expected him to be in a similar state, or happy, or... anything that wasn't what she saw on his face. Confusion, fear, desperation. The hell? It was then she noticed the tears in his clothing. It looked like he'd been mauled by a beast, a wolf, or something, but, as far as she knew, these bandits didn't have anything like that. What the hell was going on!?

"Are you okay, Bladen. What happened?" Remembering the wicked blade the thief had had, she called out into the house as well. "If anyone's in there, you okay?"

As she waited for a response she finally noticed Requiem dropped at Bladen's feet. It was probably none too happy about that, best to pick it up lest it complain at her for ignoring it. 

Xalrei to 10,4 trade Requiem from Bladen, visit house.

"I will leave it to you, then. Make sure to keep it, and yourself of course, safe until this is over with. I'll call in that favour when things have calmed down~" Nessraya replied, stepping away from the dwarf who was now healed and reunited with his hammer. Floating over to the door, it was back out into the fray...

Xalrei grabs the sword and visits!

"Hey... Thanks, fer uh, checkin' in." There was a pair of legs, cut off at the waist, in the middle of the house... The voice coming from the upper half, across the room. "Sorry fer the sight, er... That bastard got me good, but it'll take more'n that to put down an undead! Hahaha... Small ring on the table fer yer troubles."

Xalrei gets an aged energy ring!

The rest of the group scurry hurries!

Enemy Phase/Turn 4!

"Shit, this is falling apart... F-Fine then! I'll take you all!" Nimbus boasts, weakly.

Yulius flees back to his trees, and fires his dark magic at Taiyute!
Roll: 14,3
OW!
Taiyute takes 13 damage!

The remaining thief runs into the tavern... And sacks a dragonshield!

Player Phase/Turn 5!

6aedGXs.png

Goal: One more thief to go!

Now Xal showed up. Asking questions. He couldn't... He couldn't deal with all of that right now. There was too much. Too much going on, too much to think about, too much! "J-Jade. She... she bit me. I don't know. I can't... Enemies. We should focus on them." And then he took off again. Less of a sprint this time, but still moving quickly. There were a few trees up ahead. He could hide there. Launching himself up, thankful that his wings saw fit to behave, he settled in on one of the higher branches, trying to not panic.

Bladen to 8-1

Being hit by such a powerful spell. It was... unfortunate to say the least in Taiyute's eyes. Instead it only built a metaphorical fire in her eyes as she caught who shot at her. The feeling of the winds surrounding her and temporarily revitalizing her felt serene. But it wasn't enough to sate the sudden storm that brew from the woman's soul. 

"{Your soul has been damned. I will cast your judgement,}" And suddenly she charged, her feet never touching the ground as she ran, and the wind boosting her speed. Taking her cloak, she tossed it at Yulius as a way to throw him off. First, a drop kick through the cloak. Landing on her feet, there was a follow-up of a sequence of punches jaw, chest, and a final kick again to one of his knees. Reclaiming her cloak, she flipped backward and made a defensive stance again. Seeing another individual making her way towards their direction, she called out, loud and quickly, her voice being carried by the winds,

"He is dazed! Land the finish!"

Edited by Silver Gallade