Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Well this could be interesting. Apparently they had picked up another vampire along the way and she was... Something. While he didn't especially enjoy her attitude, he couldn't help but chuckle at the dressing down she gave to the hero. He moved forward, giving her a small grin and nod as he passed by her.

17-3

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marina sighed. She was done with this conversation. There was too much going on, too much to worry about.

"I'm the Hero, and I gave King Thesephine my word I'd carry out this task for her. Everyone here is my responsibility." was her answer, her tone starting to show how annoyed she had gotten.

"You can use that information as you see fit. Whether you listen to me or not, whether or not you care, I ask you to be careful for Lavinia's sake," Marina grit her teeth, as she moved forward. Maybe I didn't want this as much as I thought.

Marina moves to 16,2

Gabriela watched in amazement as Taliyah managed to dodge the attacks coming her way.

''Impressive as always Tally! Let me get rid of this nuisance for you!''

Gabby moves to 1.6 and prepares to blast the Wolf with shine!

Ayane was a bit surprised at the flourish. On one hand it looked good, but on the other it almost seemed like Marina was trying too hard to prove herself. Maybe she was reading too much into it. She simply moved onward not paying much mind to the newcomer as she joined her cousin.

Ayane moves toward 15, 2 and uses a Vuln.

Flying overhead on her way to Castle Tassion, Sollowy was struck with a sudden unease as she entered the mist in the middle of her flight path. The magic here was... Off. As if it had been tampered with, corrupted. As Yggdrasil's Scion she couldn't let this perversion of nature magic continue! She needed to find the source of this, and put an abrupt end to it. Easier said than done, unfortunately seeing through the mist wasn't the easiest; however, the sounds of combat were unmistakable, like a guide for the Gathlain. As she approached, she could make out a group fighting all sorts of undead and other such unpleasant creatures. Landing, for a moment, she assaulted the first of the group she saw with a barrage of questions.

"You. With the bow. What in Hess' name is going on here!? Why are there undead, abomination... Things, here!? Who's responsible for this!?"

Sollowy to (3,6)

Xalrei to 10,9, equip Requiem. Stare down the eye.

Edited by Ursali

"I-Impressive? Me? I... W-Well, thanks!"

Gabriela blasts dog into nothing!
Roll: 77,14
Critical hit!
63 damage!
He's hamburger meat sir!
Gabriela gains +40 EXP, +4 light WEXP!
Level up!
96    38    11    14    38    72    81    86
+Mag/Skl/Spd!

"Hmm?" Lavinia's attention was taken off of their current worries by a snappy tone, an angry, snappy tone. A Gathlain...? I suppose this would be matters of Yggdrasil's... "That's what we're here to find out," Lavinia called after the fairy, as she flew a bit head. "If you want to help, by all means. We could certainly use all the hands we can get."

They had nearly finished putting to rest the wild dogs, and for once Jade was finding herself in agreement with the lizard thief. It was a bit of a shame. Both the fate of the animals, and the fact that their feelings had actually aligned. But that surprise was quickly interrupted by the rude arrive of a small fey. Or, well, one who was rather tall for that race, but short irregardless. ...Did her height even matter? The real sticking point was the attitude!

"Look, I'm just trying to make a living here," Jade joked to ease the pain of prejudice. Sure she knew the woman had likely meant the host of... things currently making these ruins a menace. But that didn't really make it better. As the newcomer hopped, skipped, and flitted past, though, the zombie's gaze followed after, and caught sight of what seemed to be a dangerous threat. "Gabriela, don't..." she called out a warning to her slightly better known companion, then turned to see it was possibly too late. "Don't stray too far ahead," she finished anyway, then waved an arm in the direction of the threat. "A pack of centaur archers. It's not safe."

Turning to Lavinia, Jade continued, "I'm going to try to draw their attention. If you can back me up a little, and try to think of a better plan..." There was a slight pause as she batted down a nagging worry in the back of her mind, "...That'd be lovely."

Jade moves to 1,8 uses Revolver on Spider Eye 3, cantos to 3,10

The visible flinch Bridgit gives to Marina as soon as she learns of her title is visible to everyone in the vicinity.  Before she could respond though the Fallen had given her a nod with a grin; she politely nods back to acknowledge him, but then as soon as he steps out of her view she focuses down on the supposed Hero.

The Hero...no.

The Murderer.

Her hands clench, wanting to form into fists as her eyes glow with a dangerous power and ire behind them.  "For the sake of Lavinia we will be...compliant, but ONLY on the battlefield," she corrects before her glare darkens into something more twisted.

Something broken....

"Don't direct your words towards us.  Don't even look in our direction.  If you need something from us, send the request through Lavinia."

It was difficult to address her sister in such a formal way but...with this person...no.

This monster.

They are responsible for...for.......

She gives Marina a cold look before ignoring her once more, but her chest feels like someone is pressing down a handful of needles against it.  

"How are you fairing dear cousin?" Ren asks as Ayane draws near.  Watching as she applies the vulnerary on, his smile softens a bit but doesn't disappear completely.  "Just treating some flesh wounds?"

Edited by sweet podado

Bang goes the gun, squish goes the eyeball!
Roll: 22,40
A solid round, 7 damage!
Jade gains +11 exp, +1 gun WEXP!

"Wait-- Jade! Don't go so far ahead!" Goodness, what was she thinking? True, she was a daunting force, riding a terrifying beast, with a amazing eye for gunnery, but to face that horde alone? "I can't keep up with you on foot, you know?"

Lavinia moves to 2,8, vuln

"Wahh, m-miss Lavinia, uh, w-wait up!"

Tali moves to 2,6!

"Well... Not that this little party has been taken care of, my beauty needs to be used elsewhere~ Take care of yourselves, and Bridgit!" Asami called towards the young, moderately upset vampire, "do try to remain calm on the battlefield~ You wouldn't want to upset your dear sister, no?" A chuckle and a wink, Asami was off to aid another of their split groups.

Asami twirls towards 3,2

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It seemed that they were splitting into flanks as the battle progressed, which made sense enough considering how widespread the enemy was. From the looks of things, the right needed a little more help than the left, though...

Nessraya to 16,1

Enemy Phase/Turn 3!

A chunk of the horde shambles towards Marina and company!

The wight on the left charges past Jade for the more vulnerable vampire!
Roll1: 31,76
9 damage coming her way!
Lavinia fires back!
Roll: 42,33(78)
13 damage for him!
He swings once more!
Roll2: 87,64
A lucky miss!
Lavinia gains +15 EXP, +1 bow WEXP!

Centaur #1 goes after Jade!
Roll: 75,23
3 damage!
She fires back!
Roll: 75,76
13 damage to his horsey body!
Jade gains +11 EXP, +1 gun WEXP!

Centaur #2 rolls up on her as well!
Roll: 57,11
Narrow miss!
Another round from her!
Roll: 59,85
14 damage!
Jade gains +11 exp, +1 gun WEXP!
Jade levels!
44    14    79    76    67    70    25    73
+HP/Str/Def!

Centaur #3 rolls up on her as well!
Roll: 35,88
1 damage!
Jade returns fire for the third time!
Roll: 31,23
Almost hit the vitals!
13 damage!
Jade gains +10 EXP, +1 gun WEXP!

Centaur #4 strafes past her to fire on Lavinia!
Roll1: 29,20
6 damage!
She fires back!
Roll: 59,90(24)
16 damage for him!
He already has another arrow ready!
Roll2: 77,69
A miss!
Lavinia gains +10 EXP, +1 bow WEXP!

Centaur #5 pulls the same maneuver!
Roll: 98,14
It doesn't pay off!
Lavinia is getting real tired of getting shot at!
Roll: 4,26(87)
Bullseye!
15 damage!
Lavinia gains +10 EXP, +1 bow WEXP!

The Beholder beholds a target!
Roll: 37,92
Too close!
Xalrei swings Requiem hard!
Roll1: 98,88
An eye ball is hard to miss!
Roll2: 8,56
And it is easy to slay!
-8 HP from soul suck!
Xalrei gains +70 EXP!
Xalrei levels!
80    48    90    1    6    70    50    11
+Str/Skl/Spd/Res!

"Where... Wh-Where, am... H-Hello?" A muffled voice calls out behind the clamor of battle with centaurs, and the imposing suit of armor approaching the group. "Hello! Can anyone hear me!? I can hear fighting! Hello!!" No response... "Oh, bowstrings... I put on a suit of armor, then everything goes dark, now I can't feel my body, and everything's still dark! This is awful!"

Player Phase/Turn 4!

Lavinia's Renewal procs! +5 HP!
Jade's Better Dead procs! +15 HP (next turn)!

X0EYKpU.png

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

With the horde so close, Taliyah goes in swingin'! "I'll help, miss Lavi!"

Taliyah to 3,8, steel axe at the ready!
Roll1: 61,98
Roll2: 72,75
Two hits! He's down!
Taliyah gains +37 EXP, +6 axe WEXP!

The sound of Lavinia calling after her and the jostling noise of the woman's armor as she did her best to keep pace on foot combined to elicit a bit of guilt for Jade. The feeling grew slightly worse, and tinged with worry, as more of the centaurs flowed past her position than she'd anticipated. She'd thought she'd do a better job of holding them off at the pass, and was a little disappointed in herself. But that disappointed feeling melted into concern at the final realization she was actually hemmed in on all sides; Deep Vermilion barely had enough space to turn around without bumping into one of the half-man half-beasts.

For the moment her injuries were not severe, so that was one blessing. And she was not alone, an ally just cut down one of the foes, opening a window for escape. Another blessing. Wait... it was the thief? Biting her lip Jade briefly considered moving it out of the blessing column and into the cursed column, but then she thought better of herself. Her significant faults aside, the young lizard seemed to have a good enough heart, she shouldn't treat her ill forever. "Good work," the zombie called out, hesitating slightly then adding, "And thanks!"

The most significant foe of the bunch seemed, to the merchant's untrained eye, to be the significantly heartier breed of skeleton soldier with the wickedly barbed weapon. The fact that it was slashing away at Lavinia had nothing to do with it. How could it? Several of the centaur archers were also aiming arrows at the vampire. Jade wasn't playing favorites, but the wight needed to go! To make that happen she needed more space, a bit of quiet, and some time to aim her rifle. Something in her gut told her its higher caliber would be much more welcome than the ammunition her six-shooter could fire. Nudging DV with her knees, they turned about, dashing through the opening Taliyah had provided, and coming to rest between Gabriela and the newcomer. Circling about again to face her prey, Jade took careful aim and fired.

Jade moves to 2,6 and rifles the wight

Jade turns 'round hard, and fires!
Roll: 26,15
Critical!
42 damage!
The bones burst!
Jade gains +74 EXP, +4 gun WEXP!
The wight drops his sword!

"My my, Jade, what wonderful aim. Good thing you're on our side and not theirs', hmmm~?" Asami had crept up behind the zombie, giving her a quick revitalizing dance!

Asami to 2,5, dance Jade, +15 EXP!

Jade had not expected a fox to sneak up on her. Not that she was in a well hidden sniper nest by any means, but... she had been intently concentrating on doing the job and doing it right. Results had in fact exceeded expectations, so the zombie had just slipped into a little self-congratulation before quickly being startled out of it.

"If you have to end up fighting me, I don't think my aim will be your biggest concern," she smiled ruely, following an unintended meaning behind the compliment. "But I thank you all the same, and may that day never come."

Turning to the siren at her side, she changed the subject. "I'm going after the centaur with the massive bow next, if I can't finish the job, can you follow up, Gabriela?"

Then, heading back into the fray, she slowed as she reached Lavinia, and apologized for earlier. "Sorry I rushed too far. Here, I'm not sure if you need it or not, but... I grabbed it for you before leaving the wagon behind."

Jade moves to 2,9; activate Convoy, deposit Barbed Straight Sword, withdraw Iron Bow; trade Iron Bow to Lavinia; fire Pistol at Centaur 5; Canto to 3,10

Edited by Balcerzak

"A more accurate bow is a rather kind gesture... We're both alright, so we'll call it a strategic charge, shall we? Let's make sure this engagement keeps us all alive, as alive as we'll get." Lavinia smirked to keep her spirits up, as Jade moved in for another bullet!

Roll: 6,91
12 damage to his jawline!
He readies an arrow and tries to pink Jade with it!
Roll: 18,72
He does, for 5!
Jade gains +10 EXP, +1 gun WEXP!

Answers weren't on the table yet, it seemed. At least these people weren't part of the problem; how could they be if the creatures were attacking them. "Fine, I'll help you until whatever this is gets resolved." They seemed-- No, were competent, especially the green woman on the Nightmare. Though she was hesitant to give away her magic so freely, she couldn't ignore the wounds on the woman that had first answered her. Floating on over, she channeled her magic into the woman, helping to keep her together and upright. "Try to be more careful! I'm not going to sit here and give you all my magic!"

Sollowy to 2,10 heal Lavinia.

The words of 'this Bridgit' were heard clearly and concisely. Marina turned away from her, still planning to at least eye at her to make sure she stays out of danger.

It made Marina think; it made her think how much she did really want to be forgiven for her actions. The way Bridgit was acting, Marina didn't want that.

Slow and steady, it'll take time...

Now to return her focus back to the fighting.

Marina moves to 16,3