Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Lavinia moves to 14,19

"What... Is it?" The vampire couldn't exactly make heads or tails of what it was that Jade was pulling out of the ground... It looked... Like a small pipe?

Jade receives a broken gun!

"Is that all there is? That doesn't exactly look whole..."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah!  This should do it," Bridgit told herself as she looks and analyzes the situation.  Seems that everything was in control, with only a couple monsters left.  Floating over to the general, the young Pureblood fiddles with her fingers as she asks for the tome.

"Would it be alright if I borrow this for a moment?" she asks, pointing towards the tome Ness was carrying.  "I think I might be able to down one of the remaining monsters with it, umu..."

At Gabriela's response he couldnt help the laugh that escaped him.  Wanting nothing more than for this battle to be over with, he watches the Purblood as permission for the Ice tome, all while he had his own plans as well.

A plan that involves the tome he holds, a necrodragon, and a whole lotta THUNDA.

Bridgit to 21-11, grab Blizzard from Ness
Ren to 22-11, thunder Draco Zombie

Edited by sweet podado

It seemed things were coming to a close. Good, we must finish this quickly now. As for this dragon... Taiyute approached Bridgit who had grabbed the Blizzard tome. She soon approached, "Miss Bridgit, if I may," She gave a small boy as she grabbed the Blizzard from Bridgit to attack the dragon.

Taiyute moves to 21,12, grabs Blizzard from Bridgit and whooshes the Dragon!

Marina moves to 23,13

Edited by Silver Gallade

Ren prepares to zap again
Roll1: 73,68(63)
Roll2: 26,95(81)
12 damage!
Ren gains +15 EXP, +2 anima WEXP!

Yeet brings on the big freeze!
Roll1: 50,89
Roll2: 19,48
32 damage!
Taiyute gains +16 EXP, +2 anima WEXP!

Xalrei charges in!
Roll: 40,13
That's one extra dead dragon!
Xalrei gains +74 EXP, +2 lance WEXP!
Xalrei levels!
42    85    74    48    17    61    10    76
+HP/Spd/Def!

Xalrei's target had disappeared in front of her eyes, thunder striking it down from overhead. Who had interfered!? One of the onis? Did they think she couldn't handle herself? She could! Just because the stupid spider was even more stupidly durable than she had expected, it hadn't posed any threat to her. Regardless, it was dead now and her attention shifted towards the rest of her allies. The wraith was still 'alive', along with one of her Hess damned dragons. This couldn't stand, she wouldn't let it! Even if she had to fell it herself! 

Xalrei quickly scaled the closest tree, wings flapping to boost herself higher and lessen her landing as she climbed the tree's branches. She wasn't capable of proper flight, at least not in her current state; whether that was from the toll Requiem was taking on her, or the foul magic suffused in the air, was anyone's guess. Either way, she didn't have it in her to fly even for a few seconds. Not a moment after she reached the top of the tree she leapt off, towards the Necro Dragon. Requiem poised in her grip, she fell fast onto the beast, plunging deep into it's back, the beast collapsing under the force of the impact. 

"I don't know what you intend to summon this time, but I won't allow it. Make your peace and pass on." Nessraya stated with a hint of irritation... with Xalrei felling the final dragon, there was nothing left standing between her and the now unguarded summoner... if she had something more dangerous than the zombified drakes in reserve, the General had no intention of seeing it first hand. Taking a running start, Nessraya let her wings do most of the lifting as she approached the body of the dracozombie moments after it had been felled, expanding them to catch a bit better air... curse the things for being rather useless at getting meaningful height past a slight hover... still, combined with kicking off the scaly hide of the decaying dragon, the strongest beats of the succubus' wings brought her over the corpse, leaping over it's head to a towering vantage point over the summoner. From this distance in height, she shouldn't be able to retaliate from the ground, but from the air, Nessraya's aim was unhindered, magical energy gathering at the tips of her fingers, sheathing her hands and forearms in black lightning. Loosing all that energy at once, one bolt from each hand, the dark thunder careened into Morwen with a vicious, ear-ringing KRAROW!

Ness to 22,13 and Dark Thunder Morwen

Nessraya fires off the LIGHTNING!
Roll: 60,6
DESTRUCTION!

Nessraya gains +60 EXP!
Nessraya levels!
11    26    11    84    28    96    87    54
+HP/Mag/Spd!
Nessraya learns Heal!

The thunder danced across Morwen's body, the wraith crying out in pain, as her ritual stopped cold, body falling limp. "No... My... Wwwoorrrks..." The undead in the area began to dissolve, the only living monster turning to flee. They were finished with this.

Map clear!

Bonus EXP:
+Dragons slain!
+All chests opened!
+Secret found!
+30 EXP to all units below the average EXP line!

"X-Xalrei!" Taliyah scampered up to the scene, panting, glancing behind her... "O-Oh... It's gone. Uh... Is, this over too?" Things looked to have been dealt with, the dragon dead, again, and the wraith motionless. "Whoa... You guys did a lot." Tali glanced about for Agni, before giving up and scooting her way towards the dragonewt. "You're, uhm... Alright, right Xalrei?"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Xalrei wrenched Requiem out of the felled dragon, flicking the pieces of gore off the weapon while it was still a spear. She sighed as she clamored off the dragon, returning the weapon to her belt, waiting for it to transform back to its dormant state before doing anything else. There. You got a big meal, so don't complain to me about not using you. It was a shame she hadn't been able to feed that damn wraith Requiem as well, but Nessraya had handily taken care of her with that spell. Maybe she should thank her for that... 

With the dragons returned to their slumber and Morwen dead (or at least the dragonewt thought her to be; she wasn't an expert on the undead) Xalrei's rage slowly reduced to her usual hotheaded simmer, her adrenaline waning as well. As Taliyah bounded over and called her name, and not Agni's to her small delight, she took a step towards her friend and nearly fell to the ground, just barely managing to catch herself. Even with Requiem partially repairing itself mid-battle, the demon blade had still been just as eager to eat at her life force all the same; adding the foul magic she'd been taking on ever since they stepped foot into this part of the forest on top of her Requiem fatigue and she really was not feeling 'alright'.

"I'm... I'll be fine, Taliyah." She replied, resisting the urge to clutch at her head; she didn't want Taliyah to worry over this. She had headache, most certainly, but she wasn't in the mood to care if it was from jostling herself to kill the dragon or having taken in too much 'bad' magic. "But, what did you mean, 'It's gone'? Was something after you?"

Edited by Ursali

Marina took a large sigh, finally, it was done. All the soreness finally kicked in. Everything was hurt or sore, it sucked. But, she could troop through it. She approached the fallen wraith, giving Nessraya a soft pat on the shoulder as she walked by. She looked over the fallen wraith, hand on her sword in case she chose to get back up again and attack. Dropping to a knee, she placed her free hand softly onto the woman.

Admittedly, it felt weird being so close to a wraith. Only days ago, Nessraya saved her from being killed by one. And now, they've defeated one, and she's still standing. Well, still grasping to life.

What to say... what to say...

"Please, try to relax just a little bit, okay?" She wasn't entirely sure if the wraith was capable of doing so. "We don't want to continue any of this. If we were to help heal you, can I have your word you won't hurt any of us?" There could've been potential objections from the rest of the party, but Marina was trying to deflate the conflict in the calmest way possible. The fighting was over, there was no need for either side to continue taking lives.

The dragonewt went and easily handled what was left of the dragon. Good, and the General handled the head of this bizarre horde as well. The fighting was done. Taiyute gave a deep breath as she embraced the feeling. The feeling of freedom as a fight finished. She wasn't locked to worrying about her back. Not until the next battle at least. She turned over to Bridgit who was still standing by her, and she handed her back the Blizzard tome.

"Apologies for... quickly snatching from you. It is the General's, yes? Maybe it be best if... you returned it, Miss Bridgit." The Genasi gave a smile and nod to the vampire, "Thank you, I could help destroy the dragon with your assist. I am... grateful."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"Oh!" Not really insulted or much less annoyed, Bridgit gladly gives Taiyute the tome, watching in vast excitement as the other ended one of the last dragons.  "Quite the good form, umu!" she praises, taking back the tome as she nods at the other.  "We'll be taking this back to Ne- the General yes," she quickly fixes the slip of tongue, bowing her head back as she floats over to the general.  "Nesssss, I brought the tome back," she chirps, offering the book to her as she looks away slightly.

"Are you sure we can heal...them?" Ren suddenly calls out from behind Marina, catching himself before saying "that" instead.  "I'm not one to think negatively of our options, but we have to be realistic-"

Ren was cautious, moreso for Marina than anyone else.  Ayane is able to take care of herself, and eventually he'll ask her on how she feels at the moment.  Right now though he simply stood near Marina like a silent protector.

Bladen sheathed his sword, an irritated grumble escaping his lips as he did. He couldn't help it. The last spats of battle had faded and he was left feeling as if he'd done very little. He'd kept his head, stayed calm, and he hadn't lost control of his magic again, but he also hadn't done anything. Everyone else had fought dragons and wraiths and who knows what else... Tsk. He couldn't focus on that. Time to find a distraction.

The wind woman... Tai-- Taiye... No... Taiyute? That seemed more right... Better to just stick with Tai. He knew that was correct at least. She had been talking to the new vampire but that girl had left to go talk to the General, leaving Tai alone. That would do... She'd fought with him at a couple of points during the battle. It was a start. Heading over to her, he gave her a nod. "You fought well there, Tai. Your magic abilities are impressive, for sure. Have you fought much before or are you just a natural?"

Marina didn't move from her spot, but she did give Ren a look, an assured nod, like she had already weighed her thoughts and options. "Of course, but... Enough has been done, and she's been beaten." A deep breath, "If I can avoid someone dying today, I'd like to do so,"

Suddenly, Taiyute was spooked by the sudden callout from the fallen angel. She turned and gave him a bow. She took a liking to the name she suddenly got from him. "Tai, I like. If I could use that, it would help... conversing, yes?" Not that it would help her, but...

"Um... yes, thank you for the complimenting. Genasi are... naturally good at magic, as we... are magic. If you are understanding." She nodded, "I've been fighting the bandits recently, but... not much else till joining you."

"Ah, yes, sorry, I just... Your name is beautiful, really, it's just not something I'm used to... I promise I'll try to get better at it, but Tai seemed like a nice compromise, rather than me completely butchering your name." Thankfully, she seemed ok with it, though he still felt a little ashamed. "I think you're doing well at talking, no worries. Knowing multiple languages is impressive, even if it's not your strongest skill."

So she was magic... He could only make a guess as to what exactly that meant, but it did seem like it meant she had a natural skill for magic. "I see. Well, it's impressive either way, even if it is something inherent to you. I know my race has magic inherent to us but we can't use it at all like you can. Or really at all besides our wings." Bandits, well, he couldn't really judge her for that. "I don't have much experience beyond our group either, you know. I was trained with my family and clan, but before this I had no real combat experience. It's been... a ride. Nothing like a trial by fire to help you learn."

"B-Beautiful?" If she could blush, she would be right now, "Many thankings. Taiyute is... a gift from mother. It doesn't have... real meaning in this world. It is only a name." She nodded, "But it's meaning I have is... how you'd say, is me?" She did her best to explain, then he soon followed with how impressive it is she can speak multiple languages, even if her common is still broken. "Thank you for the complimenting. I'm not the best at accepting, but... I suppose many individuals don't either? It is bizarre."

So he was new to all this as well? Well, a lot of people must be considering how the world has turned thanks to the efforts of the Church and the Hero. However, those thoughts fell flat once the final term rang in her ears.

Trial by fire...

F I R E...

"Mm... of course... It will take much time to master the fighting. But um... I-I would prefer n-n-n-not lit on fi-i-ire, if a possibility."

Edited by Silver Gallade

He couldn't help but chuckle quietly as she got flustered over his comment. He did file away the proper pronunciation of her name again. Hopefully this time he would remember. The sentiment of her name meaning nothing except being her was something that struck him in a way he didn't expect. It's meaning is me... Hmm. Ah well, it was a good turn of phrase if nothing else.

Though speaking of turns of phrases, it seemed like one of his had set her on edge. Fire didn't seem to be her favorite thing and... Right, this language wasn't her strong point which meant... "Ah, no, sorry, it's just a saying. No actual fire, just a challenge that we must face. Being tested in the heat of battle and all of that. I promise you, none of us will set you on fire or anything."

With the battle done the oni princess quickly wiped her blade across her sleeve and sheathed it. With a small sigh her eyes trailed once again back toward a certain hero. It was brief, but Ayane noticed her fall in battle. Such a misstep could have cost Marina her life, but here she stands whole, if worn down a little. 'Was it divine intervention that saved her life? Or is she just that lucky...' With narrowed eyes she approached her cousin. Despite having so much thought on the situation no words were spoke, she just stood aside with a silence gaze out on the battlefield.

"What a peculiar thing..." The shield Agni found was an unique design, perhaps linked to the time that ruin was built. It was a real shame it had been found under such circumstances, it meant their assailant was not one to care for the more historical side of the site.

Regardless, Agni kept his guard as he returned to the group, finding most people converging near a motionless wraith. "Is that the culprit?" Agni kept a careful eye, hand ready to draw his dagger at a moment's notice. It took a brief pause to readjust to the situation, but he moved onwards towards the group. He cast a glance towards Taliyah... ah, Xalrei was there. No need to worry for now, but he gave the friendly lizard girl a nod, before duty called. "Marina, are you okay?" She was his priority, and leaving her alone for so long led to a lot of supressed concern.

"Ah," Jade began to answer by simply acknowledging the question was asked, as she finished freeing the object, and shaking some of the dirt off. "It's the remains of a handgun. We have the barrel here," she held out the long piece the vampire had probably mistaken for a thick nail or spike or something, "And we have the cylinder here," she held up the revolving bit of the broken six shooter. Then she frowned as she continued digging, but coming up empty.

"Looks like we're missing the action, the frame, and the grip though. Odd that they wouldn't also be around... but then again, odd to find a half-buried firearm in a field in the first place, really. Maybe," the zombie placed a finger on her lip as she thought a bit. "Maybe it broke somewhere else, and one of the wolves carried parts of it here, and buried it like they would a bone? Wouldn't that be funny?"

Then, standing up and brushing her clothes off, the relative calm and quiet of the clearing really hit her again. In a way, the very peacefulness of the situation was unnerving. "Say, Lavinia? We asked Gabriela to go scouting for the other group that split off from us at the beginning, right? And she still hasn't come back, yeah? Should we be worrying about that do you think?"

"Ah, yes. Thank you for returning it." Nessraya replied to Bridget as the vampire approached, accepting the offered tome... it had been a handy find to be certain, having something to prey on the natural weaknesses of those zombified drakes had been a clear boon.

"Really though, you must learn to control yourself, Bridget. What would Lavinia think, were she to see you bickering so?" The General lightly chastised, slowly floating in the direction of Marina, as the hero seemed to be checking on the fallen summoner. Bridget could easily keep up with her at current pace, should she choose to do so, and that wraith was still potentially dangerous, if she remained able to cast.

"Y-Yeah... One of those big, three-headed dog things, was coming after me, after I took that sword out of the chest. It's gone, so... I guess whatever was controlling it left when Nessraya defeated the wraith?" The air had begun to feel less heavy, the magic in it dispersing. The sun was even starting to poke through, giving Taliyah a moment to glance at their new vampire friend. "Should, someone tell her about the sun...?" Lavinia had worn a hood when it came out, but this girl barely seemed covered. Was there something Taliyah didn't know...? That dress wasn't protecting her hands or face at all.

The gnarled and barked wraith of a woman glanced at Marina with bloodshot eyes, no fear or worry in them, but a clear lack of sleep, even for an undead. "Jade... My finest, creation. Where? Where is she...? I..." She looked down at her hands, as her fingers began to slowly harden. The lack of mana would eventually turn this temporary body to dust. "I wasn't... Why did I die, before seeing her to completion...? Why?"

"Hmm?" Worrying about Gabriela? "She seems the type to flee as quickly as she could, if something were to go terribly wrong... Though..." A weight had been lifted, in a sense, and the sun had begun to start poking through again. Swiftly she threw her hood back on, checking her arms to make sure nothing had been damaged in the conflict. "Alright... Keep hold of those remains, I haven't seen a model like that in my lifetime. Perhaps once we make it to Tepel, or further to Hwein, you can see to someone that may have more knowledge. For now... While I'm not worried about Gabriela, the magic in the air has begun to lift. I can only hope that means our allies have dealt with the source of this. We should return as swiftly as possible... Your nightmare won't mind a passenger, right?"

It was when Agni arrived, that their foe started to respond. As much as she didn't want to, she only responded to Agni with a small nod, returning her focus to the wraith. She watched and listened as the being spoke, catching the sight of her fingers hardening. This was hard for Marina to piece into her head. She knew what their intention was. This woman was wreaking havoc and she needed to be stopped. And it wasn't like she was someone totally innocent in this fight. Even so, why did Marina feel like this?

There was something I cou--

You did what you had to.

Marina had to tell herself that. At this point, she understood. As much as she didn't want to accept it, some people will and some people might have to die in order to incite meaningful change. Of course, she'd still end up wrestling with those thoughts again in due time.

A sigh, a defeat by her own thoughts now too. Maybe, at least, Marina could help the wraith with her one last request. Give this being at least one ounce of peace before she's gone, if able.

"...We have, a Jade travelling with us. I don't know if it's the same Jade you're referring to, but we have one here." She looked out, hoping her, Lavinia and Asami had already arrived. "She should be here, soon. Or, we could go get her for you?"

"Ahh, I am... uh, understanding." Taiyute nodded. "Apologies, but yes... None of the fire should touch me, it's a... mm, we are not friends, for lack of good words." Another nod, hoping he'd understand, "I know I say many words, not much would make much sense if one's not knowing of Genasi and..." She had to think of the proper word, "...plainswalker life. Apologies, if anything may sound... odd, yes?"

It was then that she wanted to continue, but there was one thing bothering her, not entirely certain if he or someone else already said so, "Forgive me, you already know many things about myself. However, I do not believe I have learned your name."

Jade nodded as Lavinia spoke, slipping the gun parts into one of Deep Vermillion's saddlebags. "If nothing else, it's nice to have a spare in case something dreadful happens to mine. But if I could get another one put together and working..." There certainly were possibilities there. Even if none of the others could shoot a gun reliably now, maybe with practice? Or maybe Jade would just have one revolver in each fist. 'Stand and deliver, scoundrel!' It was a bit of a funny mental picture.

Turning back to the vampire though, the zombie noted with a touch of concern, that Lavinia was once again paying close attention to her cloak and hood. A glance to the sky, and seeing the clouds begin to part answered that. One must be always vigilant, in her condition, huh?

"That certainly is one possibility. We never more then guessed at the cause of the foul weather, but perhaps this is the proof." If whatever spirit had conjured the dead and altered the weather had been dealt with... if it were all the same, Jade would have prefered not to suddenly hurry back, when concerns and worries had been eased.

But actually saying that was a step to far. Thinking it was one thing, but voicing that opinion, making it real... Too much. Funny how it was, when she'd been worried, hurrying after the others had seemed the urgent, top priority. But if the assumption was that everything had been wrapped up--either for good or for ill, to be honest--then what good would hurrying back do, instead of... No, that was all just silly selfishness. Lavinia was right.

"She carried you just fine when we were running away from that elf's suit of armor," Jade laughed, finding a way to keep her mood positive. "And DV will carry you again, if you want it. Now that we're not in the thick of combat, there's no worry about having to quickly pull you up and immediately rush on out, so make sure you're as comfortable as you'd like."

"I would prefer to head back as quickly as we can, rather than have to carry myself there. I'm not tired, but I'll never outspeed a proper steed." Lavinia had, cautiously, made her way towards DV, hoping a gentle approach of her gauntlet wouldn't bother the horse. Luckily, the horse had either dealt with worst, or Lavinia simply wasn't scary. "Being around all of this combat must have made you quite brave, yes?" A moment's petting, she moved past to wait for Jade to approach, hoping the could return to the rest of the group with haste. There was still the matter of her sister to deal with, now that the magic was dissipating. She must have known better than to have flown after me... Did Thesephine not try and stop her? What's going on back at the castle...?

"When you are prepared, Jade." Lavinia offered her another smile, glad to be free of the monsters. Dragons... Lavinia wanted none of them in their prime. If this was to be their only experience with them, Lavinia would be thankful for it.

"Miss Asami, wait up!" Aithlin didn't seem to be having any trouble walking in the armor she had found herself in, but it was still armor. Hefty and hard to walk through forests in.

"For what? You can still see me if I walk ahead, goodness..." Asami sighed and slowed her pace, just a bit. Dragons, honestly... What fool of a wraith had carted so much regret to the afterlife that they could manifest with all of this to their name? Was this really just some random spirit? Asami was trying to think of people in the area that could have done something like this... One name sprang to mind, but, she's been sealed for plenty, now. That wouldn't make sense. Is it truly just a very, very powerful grudge? Mrrrhh... Too much to think about, too much to consider. I wish my job was easier...

"W-Wait! I'm still getting used to this armor..."

"Oh, fine!" Asami paused and glanced back at their new ally, looking her over. "Come to terms with your situation rather quickly, hmm?"

"Uh... Well, I suppose so. Nothing I can really do about it, right?" Aithlin shrugged, finally catching up to the fox. "Unless you know a way to reverse this, I guess I gotta deal with my head coming off sometimes. As long as this armor doesn't cause you problems in the future, I'm sure it's fine. Just gotta protect my noggin." A gentle touch of her gauntlet to the side of her head, Aithlin nugged it some, nothing moving. "Pretty secure, by the way. You don't gotta worry about it randomly coming off."

"Hmm." Asami paused a moment, before jumping up and punching her square in the forehead!

"Ow! Hey! What're you tryin'a pull!?"

"Just testing how much you truly are assembled... Given your head didn't go flying, I guess you're right. Alright~ Nothing to worry about, then. I hope you get along with the rest of the group."

"Yeah... Geez. Gave me one hell of a fright."

"I'm sure I did. And, don't act like that hurt. You're undead, now. I bet your pain receptors have completely shut off."

"I... Huh. I guess you're right. That didn't actually hurt... That's not an excuse, you know!"

"Ja... Jade? Jade!? Bring her to me! Please! I must... I, have to... What did, I have... To, I... Must see her..." The wraith's consciousness was fading along with its body, fingers crumbling into dust. "My best... Creation, I..."