Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"Hey, whoa, Nessraya... You're gonna break the poor girl." Aithlin was right on the money, Nessraya's comments turning Taliyah as red as her scales, mumbled noises and stutters escaping her instead of any words. "Ahhh, geez... Maybe she's too young for this kinda stuff? I'd be more than willing to take her place, if you really need to be satisfied~ I even have some experience!" Not that her ex had any real idea of how to please a woman... Not, that I know any better, but... Nope, bad thoughts, think about the hot succubus. Aithlin didn't really want to add much more to her offer, this was Taliyah's plate, after all.

"Mmmm... Hey, maybe you can ask the hero what she'd like, Nessraya? I'm, uh... Not great at beating around the bush, and I'm afraid l'il miss Tali here will just blurt out what we're doing if she gets near."

"I, th-that... Hahhhhawawawa..." She was too flustered to even counter the comment, hiding her face behind her claws.

Aithlin gently pet her hair, despite the girl's flinch, and sighed. "See if you can ask, at least, Nessraya."

"So what?" she spoke immediately, leaning up to his turned cheek and planting a kiss on it. "Look, Bladen... I realize you're hurting, and I'm not exactly asking to fuck you tonight. I just... Don't want you to keep being alone with these thoughts. I don't mind being a little bit patient to get those clothes off of you, so long as you don't mind being around me, you know...?" Thinking it would help her point, Asami pulled back to a perhaps more comfortable distance, leaving her hands on his shoulders. "I'm not flirting with anyone else here, and I'm not just going to leave you to dry up if you're serious~ I just need you... To prove to me, that all this, trying to be close to you is going to bear... Something. Like I just said, it doesn't have to be sex... Even if it's just laying there with you in the same bed. Let me be the distraction you need right now, hmm? Is having help once in a while truly so bad?"

"Uhm... Y... Y-Yessss..." Erephis felt herself bite her tongue, flinching slightly, before nodding. "My apologiesss for taking up your t-time. It... It, uhm, was niccce to sssspeak with you, both." She'd ended up hissing in her worry and anxiety, having practically told royalty that their dearest sibling had only a chance of even returning to them without being so distorted. "I-It was nicce to ssssee you as well, Ren. Erm... If, we c-could ssspeak more, that would be... I-I'd, like that. I... I-I will, be off then." Erephis turned towards the wagon, but spotted Gabriela there, talking. It wouldn't do to disrupt them, so she looked for the nearest vacant tree instead, and slithered off.

"There is always time for fun and chit chat when there is no danger, Bridgit. We are on an expedition, not guarding the castle... Now is in fact, the best time to idly get to know your fellow soldiers. The rest before battle is always so very, very brief." Lavinia held a wry smile at that, petting Bridgit's hair further. "Now, don't be so cheeky, alright? In fact, I have a wonderful idea as your first little test, getting to know everyone else." Lavinia's eyes drifted across the fire in front of them, to the three across the way.

"Go and say hi to those three, yes? You already know Nessraya, so it should be rather simple to slip in and follow their conversation. Surely that won't be much issue, yes?" Lavinia didn't have anything to do, so she wasn't trying to chase Bridgit off. She truly did wish for the girl to expand that sister-only bubble further, and now, while they were free from the chaos of battle... Fond memories could be fostered.

As Marina's shot rang off and missed, the squirrel scurried back into the woods... For a moment, before it was caught, and its tiny cry slipped out. The crunching of leaves and twigs met the ears of the zombie and the hero, as the form of a large dog began to fill out in the moonlight. Rather than looking angry or bothered, the middle and right mouth held the squirrels that had been made target practice; the one hit and then one missed. Perhaps familiar to Jade, its left head held a rather dejected look, only glancing at her for a moment before looking away, as if embarrassed. Without a growl or a whine, the cerberus set the catch down in front of Jade, before sitting up and swinging its plated tail around gently, leaves brushing underneath it. The middle head, proud as ever, looked at her with almost a smile, as if expecting praise.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jade snorted a little as well, after Marina giggled at her own corny joke. Somehow it clashed so much with the image of the Hero the merchant had always expected, but it fit so well with the Marina she'd been growing to know along their travels. She refrained from adding any additional comments on the girl's form or posture, curious to just watch what an outlander with her own knowledge might provide her. The kneeling position wasn't one she'd used much herself, but it seemed sensible enough. Then there was the approach of trying to lead the squirrel, like one would a fowl in flight, that was an unexpected touch. Not something Jade had mentioned at all, having limited her lecture mostly to specifics of the gun itself, so when it came out of nowhere that was just more proof positive that the claims of experience were not just idle boast.

"Aww, ah shame," she exclaimed sympathetically when the fired shot failed to find effect on target. Jade received the rifle back with a smile, then nodded thoughtfully as Marina explained about the troubles with casings and her dominant hand. That was a subject she'd never really given pause to consider. "Interesting, I wonder..." the zombie began to speculate, but cut herself off at the sounds of approaching wildlife.

When it became clear just what was padding toward them, a look of delight spread across the zombie's face. "Well I'll never," she started, interrupted by a tinkling laugh. "After how things had ended there at the ruins... to see you again now? Hahaha. At any rate, what a fine job you've done fetching those. Who's a good dog?" Turning to look at Marina as she stepped forward to pat the center head first, then the right and the left in turn, she began to explain. "I came across this one while you were fighting with Morwen. Lost track of one another in the chaos following the emergence of the dragons, and the confusion of her death, but we'd started to get along before that happened. Least, I think so, and really, playing retriever like this, seems to show it's not just on my end. Ah, right. Names. Center head is Medius; the right, Dexter; and the left..." Jade paused, her bright smile slipping slightly. She hadn't actually named that head yet, she'd still been chiding it for biting her hand. The obvious choice would be to continue the theme, but...

"Kelly." Jade's lip twisted up in a bit of a smirk. A very light 'punishment', but certainly not undeserved. "Though, I wonder... maybe there ought to be one for calling just all together, and not any individually? Perhaps I should have thought things through a little more before I'd gotten started, but I'd never had to deal with a Cerberus before. This is all new, should be a good learning experience. What do you think?" She continued to beam with excitement, hoping its contagion infected Marina as well, instead of perhaps the more human reaction of fear.

Edited by Balcerzak

"Mmm... perhaps I took it a bit far, after all." Nessraya replied, chuckling a little bit at Taliyah's retreat. She would have to work at opening the lizard's shell later on, it would seem... still, the positively adorable reaction was worth it.

"I will see what I can manage to get from Marina, then. Getting her to open up about herself might help with her current predicament in of itself, anyway... as for your offer, Aithlin~" Nessraya continued, pausing for a moment as a grin covered her face.

"I, of course, will happily accept your offering~" Sidling up to the elf and wrapping her tail around her waist, Nessraya wasted no time in giving her a kiss on the cheek, before bringing her lips to Aithlin's ear.

"As fun as the chase is, it's always nice when a pretty little thing comes to me~" 

Marina was taken aback when the cerberus first appeared, but she was quick to drop her guard a bit once Jade started acting buddy-buddy with it. Marina's approach as Jade explained was slow and careful. Marina knew family friends with dogs, but she never had any pets. But she seemed to have this knack for animals if Ukogi taught her anything. Despite the initial feelings, she also thought the cerberus was... cute.

Hearing the names, it was funny hearing Jade be concerned on how she'd name the dog...s. However, Marina had an idea to add on. "Actually," she started, "you could have a name for each head, then a name for them collectively. Right?" The girl beamed a smile, thinking her idea was pretty solid, "How about... mmm... Tres? In my world, it's another term for 'three'. But it sounds kinda cool, maybe?"

Soon she did reach a contactable distance with the dogs. She reached out to pet one, but... she didn't know what the animal's initial reaction would be. Instead, palm facing the ground, she reached out to let the heads sniff her out before she went for touching. "Tres? You like that?" Hopefully...

Edited by Silver Gallade

Bladen rubbed a hand over his eyes, trying to find the right response. "It's not like... I don't... Ugh. I'm just not good at any of this sort of thing. All these emotions. Good and bad. Life was so simple back home. I knew I would probably eventually marry one of the few others near my age and that was that. Fallen are born so rarely... Well, it's just about keeping our race alive. So all of this... Flirting, falling in love with someone, sex, all of it is something that I never had to think about because it was all already decided for me. And of course I want to be close to you, I'm just-" He stopped. The realization of what he had said hit him. L-love... You can't possibly think you could know if you love her, you idiot. You barely know her. You were just using it as an example, right? Right??? Maybe she won't notice. Quick, keep talking, pretend like you didn't say anything weird.

Faking a cough to try and cover for his abrupt stop, he managed to stammer out, "Just awkward. And unsure. That's all. Getting help from others... I was always the one supposed to be helping. I guess I'm just not used to it."

"And you as well Erephis.  We both appreciate you bringing us news; every little bit helps," he says before blinking at the sudden comment afterward.  That definitely left a nice feeling in the oni, his smile a bit more natural now.  "Really, then I'll try to find time during our excursion to come by you for a conversation or two," and with that he bid the snake goodbye with a wave of his hand.  Quite the interesting one he's found, hm?

"...We'll get her back," he suddenly says, sagging a bit where he was sitting as the weight of the news settles in.  His smile was smaller, eyes droopy, but never once did he let go of his cousin's hand.

Well, she was right in that regard; the castle, while home, was quite stuffy and stifling.  Not one to disappoint, especially Lavinia, she agrees with a nod against the other's hand that was still petting her hair.  "Alright, if that is what you wish dear sister," she pipes up, quickly placing a small peck on the other's cheek before lifting herself up.  "Shouldn't be a problem for this Bridgit right?" she mutters to herself, before heading on towards the other three around the campfire.

As she nears them, the scene puts Bridgit in a bit of a...bind, already feeling the creeping embarrassment as she sees Ness flirt her way into the undead elf's pants.  "Ah, um, are we interrupting something?" she asks, thrumming her fingers against her dress while giving Taliyah her undivided attention before turning to the succubus once more.  "Really Ness, can't go one minute without scaring someone half to death with your flirtations?" the Pureblood continues, a light tease in her tone as she waits for an answer.

Even though Ayane hadn't let go of her cousin's hand, she hadn't said much after Erephis had left. At least for a few moments. She took a quick sigh as she turned her head toward Ren. "I wish to believe, but...I'll do what I must if it doesn't end well. It's bad enough that Ouka's influence has spread as far as it has because of me..." She looked down. "I refuse to let it continue, no matter the cost..." Her voice was a bit shaky from her slowly rising anger.

"Yes, I was --by all accounts, still am, a noble." Agni nodded in response, "I can't say I spent much time getting acquainted to them, I spent most of my time in our manse preparing for a position in the army. It was... convenient. Not something you have time to think about when on the road, but they really helped our life."

Agni listened over Gabriela's surprisingly long story, a few points grabbing his attention, following a nod of his head as he let her finish. "The Siren Village... I assume named such because your kind exclusively inhabited it? If they all moved and left you behind, shouldn't one of the Qu--King's generals know about it? It seems like too big an event for them to miss. They might know something." Assuming she wanted at all to know what drove her village to that odd decision, anyways.

"Hmm... your story was fine, Gabriela, no need to apologize." Agni leaned forward, leaning a hand on her shoulder, he shook his head. "To me, it seems their doubts on you sound unfounded. It's good that we spared a moment to talk."

He wasn't going to be denying that these connections could be important on the future, with what destiny could throw Marina's way.

''I have to admit, I did ask Lavinia and Asami. They seem like they have a head on their shoulders, and of course, they work for the king. Yet neither of them knew anything. Sometimes I wonder if I can even trust them, considering that Lavinia doesn't appear to like me all that much, and Asami... well, you can see for yourself. She clearly has a lot of secrets. I do want to know what happened to them, but at this point, I almost feel like it's a lost cause. Perhaps I should just let go.''

A bit startled by the hand suddenly on her shoulder, but not displeased, she smiled. ''Well, thank you for listening and believing my tale. And don't worry, I trust you too, humans or not. And if you hear anything about my people... please let me know, okay?'' Content with the conversation, she sat back and relaxed a little.

"So you understand, then." Though her smile remained small, Xalrei's eyes lit up --No, not in the bad way--- with Taiyute's understanding and reassurance. It was nice to have someone who agreed with her on the topic at hand, as well as her reasoning behind it. Though likely her fault for interacting with so little of their group, of which two in this smaller group were humans, Xalrei had only really achieved that feat with Bladen; knowing that hadn't been a one off was a nice feeling.

Although Xalrei was determined to brush it off the  mispronunciation of her name, she'd been called much worse at the Academy, the dragonewt couldn't help but wince as 'Xarlei' tumbled out of Taiyute's mouth. "Er, it's 'Xalrei'", she corrected, then added, "I suppose my name isn't really 'normal', either." Tundyssa isn't any better, either... 

"Wh-What...?" Xalrei stuttered out as a blush spread across her face, not having expected to receive a compliment like that from her first conversation with Taiyute. "I, It's not really anything special..."

The three headed pooch didn't seem at all bothered by Jade's naming scheme, settling up next to her, only one of the heads bothering to address Marina's suggestion when it was said. A quizzical head-tilt met her, the rest of the heads too focused on their new master, staring out at the trees as if awaiting further orders for more animal retrieval.

"I'm sure you can handle it." Lavinia smiled as Bridgit walked off to speak with at least one familiar person, scanning around the group and picking herself up. She'd seen Marina walk off a moment ago, perhaps towards the gunfire? Jade was likely practicing then. It wasn't the safest of things to be doing while they were on sort of a run from Ithraxl's forces and otherwise, but with how long they'd managed to go without attack, it wasn't like Lavinia could scold her for wishing to practice her aim or take some stress out.

"Best to see what they're up to, then... Make sure Marina is alright, as well." With a small stretch and the popping of a bone, Lavinia smirked, and headed that way.

Love? Already~? He's adorable, so very adorable. So young and naive... But that's fine. That's the most fun~ Asami couldn't stifle a single giggle at Bladen's expense, leaning back into his little bubble and pressing up against him in a hug, smiling up at the bird. "Theeeeen... Help me, help you, to open up just a biiiit more. You already kissed me all on your own, my lovely little birdy~ I'm sure you can more than that with the right pushes, and prods... Perhaps, even head towards that love you're already thinking about, hmhmhmhmhm~" If she didn't tease him about it now, would she have remembered to do it later? Possibly, but fresh wounds were the best to twist something into.

"Let's have you think just a little bit less about your worldy worries, just for tonight, just... A small amount. Let me take some of it away. Let's have you wake up to something pleasant, yes? Even if it's in the middle of the night, even if you have a terrible dream... Let me be there for you so you know you aren't alone." A small shush met his ear, as Asami cuddled herself closer. "I don't think I'm asking for all that much, Bladen~ Not yet, at least..."

Despite quite enjoying the advances from Nessraya, Bridgit was exactly the out the elf needed to correct the situation for the moment, to at least stop Taliyah from being too embarrassed to even talk. "Perhaps the vampire is right, Nessraya... Save it for later, I'm sure you can." Giving the general a knowing smile, Aithlin didn't bother pushing her away, she could sit that close if she wished. "You were... uh, miss Lavinia's sister, right? Bridgit?" The elf held a hand out proper to shake. "Name's Aithlin, I don't think we've gotten the chance to actually talk. Pretty cool to have so many undead around, huh? Not that I really counted until last weak, but, I figured it'd be a lot more... Spooky! Than it actually is. You know, coming back from the afterlife, and all that... Really not that bad~"

Taliyah managed to uncurl herself as the topic switched away from Nessraya getting into her shorts, giving Bridgit a timid glance. "H... H-Hello, Bridgit. Uhm... I-I'm, Taliyah. I don't think we've s-spoken much, either..." It was nice to see another girl about her size with them... Though, she didn't want to act too friendly over nothing, yet. Vampires came in all shapes and sizes, and especially all ages. Even if Bridgit looked younger than Lavinia, it was likely their ages weren't that far apart.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Askfj." He wasn't sure what the sound that came out of his mouth was, but it certainly wasn't anything comprehensible. She had to know what she was doing to him. Yes. Yes she did. And she did it on purpose, he knew that. She liked to fluster him, but it wasn't like he could do anything about it, especially in this situation. He'd been the one that had let that slip. It wasn't like he'd been thinking of it like love, it was just... All so much so quickly.

"I'm not, it was just..." He sighed. He'd lost and he knew it. It didn't matter what he said at this point, she had won already. He shook his head slightly. "You're impossible, I hope you know that. But you win."

Bridgit looks at the other's hand, brows furrowing lightly.  No, it isn't because she didn't know what a handshake was, far from it...but this would be the first time she did such a common action among others.

Still, closing the gap and gently taking the undead elf's hand to return the shake made Bridgit a bit more approachable and a lot less pouty...she hopes.

"Yes, that is correct.  Our name is Bridgit Vasilia," she offers, before ho-humming at being thrown in with the rest of them.  Instead of being rude about it, she decides to go for a different approach.  "We don't particularly know the feelings accompanied from 'coming back' as you say, since we our in all sense of the word Pureblood," she explains, blinking as she pulls her hand away and stops to think.

"That being said, this Pureblood is quite relieved in knowing that your coming back didn't put any unneeded stress to your psyche."

Well, she did promise Lavinia that she'd try, and trying she is.

"It only becomes...'spooky' as you say, if you don't move past the undead part and actually pay attention to the person for who they are," she explains further, before looking at Taliyah.  Quite the shy thing she was, hm?  Nessa really knew how to pick them, only side-eyeing the general for a fraction of a second before smiling amicably at the girl in front of her.

"This Bridgit really didn't put the effort in conversing with anyone, to be quite honest," she admits, eyes a bit downcast at that.  "But sister insists.  Truth be told, if it weren't for her words we wouldn't be conversing this soon, but it isn't only for that reason we approached."

"Whenever the General teases beyond the general sense, this Bridgit can't help but intervene.  Sometimes to help the poor soul being tormented by such flirtations, and other times simply because we feel like being a bit capricious."

Did it annoy the General beyond end? Yes.  Did Bridgit care? Not in the slightest.

Not like she can tease her in the same sense as the others; Bridgit was too sharp for that sort of thing.  Yes, she may be caught off guard, and Nessa can get out a good reaction from the Pureblood, but those moments were too far from each other to properly annoy Bridgit.

Plus, it brought Bridgit a good amount of entertainment.

Ah, she was doing it again.

Taking the burden for herself.

That wouldn't do, not while Ren was still around.  Lifting one of his hands, he flicked the other on her forehead.  Hard enough so she could feel it, but not to where it actually hurt.

"Well, good thing you have me to help hm?" he says, a grin slowly appearing.  It didn't have it's usual charm to it, but that wasn't the point at the moment.  "We will do this together.  Deal the final blow if you must.  If that's what will bring you peace...but know that you don't have to deal with the burden alone."

He couldn't account the others in the group, not when they were still mere acquaintances at the moment.  That and the fact that the cunning fox was travelling with them.

"We watch each other's back, right?"

Edited by sweet podado

"Hmm... if both said they didn't know anything... then it's quite a mystery we have here, huh?" Agni paused, perhaps a response to Gabriela's quick surprise at the shoulder contact. He retrieved his hand after a moment. "Certainly. If I find out something, you'll probably be around as well, but in case you aren't, it'll be easy to keep in mind about Sirens." Something that will remind me immediately about the request. He thought. It would be hard to not remember.

With Gabriela settling down in her comfort, Agni leaned back in turn, heaving a slow sigh, and closing his eyes.

Maybe it'd be time to prepare a meal soon.

It was nice to have someone who understood so well, Taiyute's face was gleeful and excited. Maybe, she'd found herself a good partner during future endeavors.

Noticing the bit of change in tone, Taiyute put her hands together apologetically in regards to flubbering the dragonewt's name, "Most apologies. But I will remember. Xalrei, Xalrei..." She repeated once or twice, to make sure it clicked in her head. "Names are hard, and mix together, yes? Even Genasi, knowing names is even difficult, even when we... {speak like this}," ending with a bit of her language, the tone and even volume picking up as the air around them slightly trembled. Then, things returned to normal as she laughed in what seemed to be the common tone, seemingly heightening at the fact that Xalrei got shy over the compliment.

"Apologies, again... I don't see smiles on you very much. It... looks nice." A smile and a nod, "Not to be prying, but I can see and feel you're troubling. But... it is nice to see you smile." She assured, patting the dragonewt's shoulder. "You are much pretty."

"Tres..." Jade tested out the name Marina had offered, feeling how it flowed through her mouth. It seemed as good a choice as any other. A slow nod of approval, though it wasn't really the zombies that the hero most needed to win over. It seemed vaguely indifferent, but perhaps with time. Only one of the heads really paid enough attention to sniff the human's hand too, so clearly the majority of its attention was still focused on Jade. ...At least nominally, something about the way it carried itself suggested it was eager to continue playing "fetch".

A bit of a smile on her face, the zombie scoped out nearby tree branches for another possible target, before slowly loading the rifle again. "Be a little careful," she warned Marina. "Not entirely sure how Tres will react to gunfire, but if it plans on sticking around, it'll have to learn sooner than later. Gonna try for another squirrel, we'll see how it goes."

Then finishing lining up, she took another shot.

Marina also gave a look of interest at the head that focused on her. Continuing to reach out, the hero gave a light scratch behind the head's ear. "There you go," She spoke, calmly, "You like that?" Her voice grew sweeter, "I've never had any pets, but I'd always visit family with them. One of my aunts had a sweet little dog; Comet. She would always find her way to my bed and snuggle with me." A small laugh, moving from scratching to slow petting at the top of the dog's head.

There was a small pause when Jade called out to be careful. Listening that she'd shoot for another squirrel, a small pat on the good boy's head, "You can do it," she gave an assurance, not really knowing if the head would understand.

"!" A flick to the forehead! Unexpected, at least by her. She held her forehead a little and made quite a frown at her cousin. "...." He made a point about taking on challenges alone, one she did take in. "...you're right. My habits are quite difficult to shake I must admit." She straightened her hair a bit. "I'll admit there's some I still can't entrust my life to, though there are exceptions to the group." She cleared her voice a little. "But you're the only one I can truly trust, Ren."

"Oh please, Bridget. You flustered even worse than Taliyah when we first met, and you survived me~ She'll be fine... besides, I'm well worth the embarrassment." Nessraya replied with a gentle boast, well used to Bridget's ribbing and interruptions at this point.

"The offer is always open, if seeing me flirt with others bothers you that much~" She added, leaving it at that. She had gotten what she wanted already anyway... Taliyah would need some more work, but now wasn't the time, and Aithlin was clearly interested enough, she merely needed to find the proper time and place to sink her teeth into the succulent elf. 

"Moving along from that, we were just discussing the best way to cheer up Marina, and getting Taliyah something nice for her Birthday when we reach town."

This Bridgit girl was using a lot of 'we's to refer to herself. Was it a nobility thing? A pureblood thing? "I dunno about 'coming back', really... Mostly just... Well, I put on some armor, my head fell off, and it got stuffed into a chest. I was conscious the whole time... Guess that magic works fast!" It had been an interesting experience, putting it mildly, and she was curious to know how the whole thing was supposed to work. Maybe Bridgit or Nessraya knew? If it was neat enough to be spoken about, Aithlin was sure one of them would.

"Uhm... Y-Yeah. What, N, Nessraya said. She'd been, uhm... T-Taking it really, hard, recently... S-So..." Tali hoped that got the point of why they were doing this across, trying her best to smile now that she wasn't being teased. "Y-You can come with us, if you, w-want. It's shopping for all of us, too... I-I guess. What do you say, Bridgit?" Tali ignored mention of her own birthday. The lizard still had trouble seeing it as something so important.

Asami's eyes narrowed and her smile curled into a really wide grin, giggling ever so quietly. "I tend to win." With that said, she leaned up properly and planted a kiss on Bladen, not a quick peck, but a nice, held smooch. Her message relayed, she hopped away from him and waved for him to follow, heading for her tent. "Don't be a stranger, then~ Let's go get cozy... I promise, I won't do anything you don't want me to~"

The head did understand, and so did the rest of the Cerberus, charging out after the shot hit its mark. That was right when Lavinia arrived... Rather troubled, but not going to stop her approach, waving at the girls. "Well... I'm sure someone can explain the Cerberus, but if it isn't attacking either of you, I suppose it's friendly enough." It seemed as though jade was practicing her shooting, was Marina participating as well? "It's good to see the two of you getting along." Lavinia was pleased by this for two reasons, really. Jade had been human not too long ago, so having one converse with her as normal was likely doing her wonders... On the flipside, a monster that didn't hate Marina for existing, what a treat for the tired girl.

A hand met Marina's hair, petting it gently, this time without gauntlet. "I'm glad to see you doing well, Marina. Jade, you don't mind if I interrupt and take a shot as well, do you? It's been quite a while since I've used any firearms." Her aim with a bow was still fantastic, and she could see almost perfectly in the night. Surely it would go well.

Eyes widening, Bridgit was lucky that her flush wasn't as noticeable as normal humans or monsters.  Leave it to Nessa to try and put her in quite the position, the young Pureblood letting out a sigh in exasperation.  "Honestly Nessa..." she calls out while shaking her head, although there was no real bite to her words.  Letting the conversation continue on from this, having done what she came to do, Bridgit simply listened in before her brows furrowed at the mention of the hero.

"Hm, that's certainly some magic if you didn't feel much of what was going on?" she asks, focusing on Aithlin as her mind tries to come to terms that the hero was an integral part to the group.  In fact, she was one of the main reasons this entourage was even formed.  Doing anything for the human left a bad taste in her mouth, so she'd let the others do that.  Taliyah on the other hand...

"Oh?  Is it your birthday then?  Or soon?" she asks now, expression lighting up at the prospect of celebration.  "To be frank, going shopping hasn't been something we've had in mind, but it does sound....nice."

Edited by sweet podado

The Hero seemed fully absorbed with the new canine companion, and it appeared to appreciate the attention. But its hunting instinct was clearly stronger, as it charged after the falling squirrel once Jade had hit her second mark. Her record had climbed to two and one now, and the zombie was feeling a lot better about that first miss by this point. Smiling, she turned back to Marina, ready to comment on the story of her aunt's dog, with a story of her own, but surprised to find Lavinia having snuck up while she was absorbed in aiming, her smile subtly changed to a different shade of happy.

"Ah, we had a cat growing up, but no dog," Jade still felt she ought to finish her earlier train of thought before switching lines to the new one. "And you're correct, Lavinia. Friendlier by far than most, though its heads do seem a bit conflicted with each other at times. It's the one I'd chanced across at the ruins while riding up ahead, maybe you saw it then? I would have introduced you, but when that dragon appeared, well..." She shrugged a little sheepishly, the gesture intended to convey that the animal had taken that moment to promptly disappear.

The brief look of bashful apology was soon eclipsed by an excited twinkling in the merchant's eyes, as she pivoted to addressing the royal guard's other request. "You never told me you were a practiced hand with a piece! Focused as you seemed on bow and arrow I'd always thought," Jade trailed off, realizing her phrasing was perhaps inching ruder than she'd intended. "Well, you must certainly have your reasons, and honestly I'd like you to show me some time. I'll gladly give you a go with the rifle here if you'll show me my way around your equipment later."

Marina watched the cerberus ran off. She was confident... Kelly, Jade called the head(?) would catch it. She had a beaming smile, she liked animals. The girl turned when Lavinia started speaking, followed by a ruffle to her head. Looking up to the vampire, her smile clearly showed, even if it did die down a tiny bit.

"I'm doing good, yeah. Jade has been teaching me all this stuff about guns," She moved her face out of Lavinia's vision to wink at Jade.

Listening to the both of them was fun, the two really were getting close. She sat down on the root of a nearby tree as she waited for the cerberus to come back. Turning to the two,

"You two are really cute."

"You didn't need to apologize... For either of those things." Xalrei let out a tiny huff rather than flush further, her arms crossed. Taiyute's compliments were different from Nessraya's, no hidden teasing undertone to them, so the dragonewt had a harder time brushing them off; not that Nessraya's had fallen completely flat, just that Taiyute was being unabashedly genuine and not trying to get her into bed. Or if she was, Xalrei wasn't picking up on it. "Th-Thanks, I guess... I don't get compliments much." At least, not the ones she was fishing for, nor from who she wanted to hear them from.

"Anyway," she began, directing the conversation back towards Taiyute, "what... Was that thing you did with your voice? Is that like, your original language? Where are you from that everything(?) sounds like that?" How what Taiyute had just done was comprehensible to anything was almost beyond what Xalrei was willing to believe, but in the past two weeks her mind had been opened a fair bit.

One Week Prior...

Their group was packing up, and it seemed time to move onwards towards their next campsite... Even if moods were heavy, they couldn't stay here. There was one who didn't seem all that interested in resting in the wagon, though. "You... Gathlain. Were you going to come with us?" The fairy had harsh worse for Marina, but had still assisted them in handling the undead. It was the right idea to extend an invitation to her.

"I didn't intend to, no." Sollowy answered, more than ready to turn down such an invitation. "I don't even know where you're headed, for one. And for two, I have urgent business with the Demon King. Urgent enough that I can't afford to be slowed more than I already have been." Truthfully she probably should've left the forest to these people and hurried on her way, but what she'd seen had driven her into a fury. Now all that she could do was try to make up that lost time.

"I'd be grateful if you could instead give me directions on the fastest route to Attisio, so that I might make up some lost time."

"The Demon King? What business, exactly? I am her head knight... I am afraid that, while you may be a scion of Yggdrassil, I cannot let you leave without any indication as to the nature of your business." That was definitely suspicious, but Gathlains tended to be good natured protectors of the world. Their ties to Yggdrassil meant that it was rare for any of them to harbor any foul moods or evil intentions... Still...

That, and they tended to be rather... Promiscuous. Almost as much as a succubus. Without her or Nessraya to protect her... Nothing weird would happen to Thesephine, right?

"It's a matter that concerns Yggdrasil and the Great Trees, and I need-- Wait, her?" The Demon King's a girl? Why not just be a Lord, then? Even now, with nearly a year spent trying to suppress it, her whimsical nature managed to rise to the surface, over the silliest of things. Shaking her head, Sollowy refocused herself on the conversation.  "Er, regardless, I need the Demon King's help to resolve this issue. And to secure that help I need to meet with her directly."

"Hhhh... I see..." Yggdrassil's personal business, was it? "... Leave with us and then take the road the opposite way we depart. Once you reach a small town called Aensbrook, it's a straight shot to Castle Attisio. I... Cannot say that I completely trust you, but you are but one Gathlain. Should you intend something fowl, you will be put to the sword... I pray you understand that, fairy." Hopefully the message got itself across. How very troublesome...

"Mhm." Sollowy nodded along with the directions Lavinia had given to her, mentally repeating them in her head to memorize them. About to thank her for the simple, but presumably valid, directions Sollowy's gratitude caught in her throat. Such an insinuation was uncalled for, regardless of the stereotypes associated with Gathlains. "I've got too much to worry about for myself than to be planning whatever your imagination has conjured up," she answered with a huff before floating away from the vampire, more eager than ever for the group to get back on the road.

"Not even a thanks... Flighty little creatures." Lavinia huffed and let her fly away without another word of worry. Things would be handled by the knights on staff, or even Thesephine herself, were it to come to that.

Edited by Ursali

Gabriela had already spotted Ren and Ayane speaking with Erephis earlier. It didn't require a magnifying glass to see that Ren had charmed his way into another woman's heart, whether it was intentional or not. She took off during her conversation with Agni though, so perhaps she wasn't as interested as she thought? It would be best to get the answer from the horse's mouth himself, though. She walked past Agni, who had settled in comfortably and walked to Ren and Ayane. 

''Hello lovelies! I do hope i'm not interrupting anything. I simply wanted to have a word with Ren. I saw that you were talking to Erephis lately. What exactly is your relationship like? Just, out of curiosity.''

She looked at Ayane, trying to read her face. ''We haven't had much of a chance to talk either, princess. I wonder if you have any leads yet on that Ouka business?''