Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Bladen sighed quietly to himself, a bemused smile on his face as he watched Asami start to prance off. She knew the game they were playing much better than he did, that much he knew. But he couldn't fault her for playing it well. "Yeah, I'm coming, I'm coming." Most of the group was scattered off to their own activities right now anyways. The Hero wasn't anywhere in sight. What harm was it really going to do to spend the night near the rest of the group? Even if he didn't fully believe all that Asami was telling him, he could still enjoy a night of peace. Shaking his head at his own foolish thoughts, he followed the fox to her tent.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mmm, the dullahan armour is certainly an interesting piece of magical equipment... it's magic is extremely fast-acting and potent, when someone dons the suit it has almost no risk of conversion failure... the main problem, and why they weren't more widely adopted, was, well... getting someone to willingly enter the suit proved... difficult when they were in testing, and forcing entry would never work... after all, you wouldn't want a newly awoken dullahan to be very irate and angry with you, would you? Plus you need a new suit for each new conversion... they were an interesting footnote to be certain, but the design would never work out for wide use, and typically if you were strong enough to be considered for an elite conversion program, you'd prefer to keep yourself as you are." Nessraya began as the topic came up, stopping short of going on a full tirade over the full details of those suits... mostly to spare Aithlin's feelings than anything else. Putting on a clearly enchanted suit of armour with no idea what the enchantment was? The girl certainly had bravado, but...

"Honestly nothing~ If you aren't willing to offer yourself in her stead, you would best keep your interruptions to the minimum, no~?"

"When it comes to you, I'm always right," he responds in a sagely tone, before giving Ayane a small grin.  It was always easy to tease his cousin, even if the topic of conversation didn't call for it.  Still, the grin settled into a more contained but genuine smile as he leans closer to his cousin.  "I feel the same as well.  I know...it will take time, but hopefully our story ends with a happy ending, hm?" 

Our story, because when everything is said and done Ren isn't leaving her side.  He made sure that this was their burden to share the moment he survived Ouka's trap.  After everything is said and done, Ren wants his cousin to succeed.

If that means to lay his life for her, then so be it.  Wearing his heart on his sleeve, even if it got him stabbed...

Hm? Oh!  At Gabriela's arrival Ren went back into a more relaxing form, waving at her as his smile shifted.  "Hello hello!  Eh?  My relationship with Erephis?" he asks, confusion coloring his tone before chuckling at the other's assumptions.  "Nothing that you're probably imagining.  We're just acquaintances, talking about family affairs," he responds behind his fan (how did he get it out so quick?!) as he hides a small smirk.

"What about you?  How did your conversation with the Hero's loyal guard go?"

What a sly poet that Ren. He's lucky he's family, and one Ayane is grateful to still be with. She watched her cousin with a small smile. "Hm, yes..." And then a newcomer came into the conversation, it was Gabriela. Yes, the one Ren is getting quite comfortable with. He's a flirt for certain, but she had hoped her dear cousin was at least treating right. It seemed as though she wanted a one on one talk with Ren, which she was about to give them until Gabi addressed the oni princess next.

"No, not yet. I suppose it would be time to gather information. I'd ask Asami if she had some ideas, but we're not exactly on good terms at the moment." Ayane's face was very neutral. When Ren wasn't teasing her Ayane can hold quite a good poker face. She noticed her asking about Erephis, no surprise there. Not that Ayane was going to tell her about Ren's open nature with women of course. "Did you need to be alone? I can step away."

Before Lavinia could get words in again about the Cerberus, she was bombarded with Jade's enthusiasm, an unfortunately worded phrase, and then Marina's claim of them being cute. If her skin was just a bit younger, a bit closer to having turned, perhaps she'd have been turning crimson. As it stood, blood fresh in her, a faint hue managed on her cheeks, flustered stumbling over words following. "I, that's... L-Listen, both of you. That... P-Please, work on your phrasing-- And, Marina! I, a-am a knight, please. Such compliments are not, uhm. Necessary. Yes..." After having dealt with Nessraya so long, and knowing how people tended to respond to these sorts of reactions (according to the succubus), Lavinia steeled herself for further compliments, taking a quick breath to resolve herself.

"In, any case... I used to use firearms, but Thesephine made me promise to swear off of them. I can't feel the recoil properly on larger weapons, and I've broken more than a few bones because of it, before I was taught proper etiquette for handling a gun... I've tried to convince her of this several times, but she's still worried. A bow and arrow provides similar tactical advantages, even if it's slower, so I'm not fussed. Still, if you wouldn't mind me taking a shot, I swear I've learned how to keep my body safe." With a smile, and an outstretched arm, Lavinia hoped Jade wouldn't find worry in her story, and would give her a moment to try.

"I'll make sure to walk you through my equipment later, as thanks."

"Y-Yes... Or, wwwwwwwell, it was my birthday. They just w-want to get me a gift, since it passed." Taliyah gave Bridgit a quick explanation as she was asked about her birthday, and then let Nessraya go into a rather long explanation about how Dullahans worked. It seemed as though Aithlin had messed with some rather serious magic, but came out on top of things in the end. How lucky... Maybe?

"Now now, I'm sure she's just playing around. You've already got a volunteer, so let's not point any fingers... Not to hear that the magic I've donned is that special, though. Guess I don't feel as bad for putting it on~" Aithlin smiled wide as Nessraya's explanation finished, feeling less dumb now than she did before. She'd learned a lesson about trying on gear out of nowhere, and would definitely make sure not to, again.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

''Family affairs, hmm? Whose? Yours? I didn't know you had much family, aside from the princess here, of course.'' She then turned to Ayane yet again. ''Believe me, Asami is not an easy person to talk to, or get information out of, even if you are, supposedly, on good terms with her. Honestly, I don't know what her deal is, but I can't really do anything, since she is the one who pays me. Tell you what, i'll try to get Asami to tell me what she knows, and i'll of course keep my own eyes open. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Oh, and yes, I would like a chance to speak to Ren one-on-one, since we haven't had much opportunity. Still, it was nice to see you, princess.''

She sat down near Ren, and waited until the Princess had taken her leave. ''So, Ren, it HAS been a while since we've spoken like this, hasn't it?'' She looked at him with a seductive smile. ''I do hope there hasn't been too much... competition for me among the group? I'm sure a man like you has lots of suitors. Have you ever had a girlfriend before? Forgive me for prying, but i'm simply curious who i'm getting to know.''

Taiyute tilted her head at the question. Did she not know? Not that Taiyute was entirely surprised, their existence in the mortal realm was limited to... well, not very often.

She clapped her hands together, trying her best to work things out, "Hmm... best explaining, um, I come from, I come from an... alternate plain. Like I am wind Genasi, there is the realm where we... are given life, and our power." She channeled a bit of the nearby air in her hands, forming a ball of compressed air and wind within her hands. "There are... two types of things in our realm. We have Genasi, like me... we are... I think the term is, offshoots(?), of our rulers. Those are... {Genies}, er, apologies. In your speak it's... genies? Genasi are made by genies or the possible chance, like I, a genie enters this world and makes children with another being."

Taking the ball she made, she threw it super high into the air, it slowly dissipating and making a pop in the air.

"You should let them," is Bridgit's fluid answer, blinking as she looks over to Taliyah.  "Being part of a task as important as this one, there will be limited times where one can actually celebrate such days," she continues with a smile.  "If they are freely offering, there's no point in declining hm?"

At Nessa's comment though, her smile drops slightly while feeling sudden heat in her cheeks.  "Honestly...you have no tact Nessa," she huffs, floating away slightly as she pouts at the General.  

Ren held back a wince as Gabriela mentions his family....or lack thereof.  Followed by mention of the conniving fox and his mood had been utterly ruined, but ever the gentleman he keeps face and simply hums behind his fan in thought.  No need for them to notice his frown.  "You're right, but there are some loose ends we need to figure out before everything is adequate.  I doubt the fox is willing to help still, but if you can convince her I'll be surprised and grateful," he offers with a chuckle.

When his cousin leaves, he's now left with the Siren and his thoughts.  "Why, it has been a while hasn't it?" he calls back, his bitterness slowly ebbing away as he listens to her plight.  Ah, she was curious about competition?  Well then... "To tell you the truth, while Erephis is a lovely lady in her own right, we simply share common interests as potential friends," he answers as he flutters his fan.  

"As for partners in the past....I do admit, I've been courted by ladies and men alike before," he admits with a dainty wave of his free hand and a far off tone in his voice.  "Nothing ever evolved beyond light kisses and dating.  I...well, I've never really consummated a relationship before," he then says, a noticeable flush appearing on his pale skin.  "Mere formalities and whatnot...I never thought myself ready for a committed relationship..."

And now, all he has is crushed pieces of what could've been, eyes melancholic at the thought of never seeing familiar faces again.

"Wait, so it's like you're from a whole different world?" That was a bombshell if any to drop on the dragonewt. A whole different plane full of people like Taiyute, and things different but similar to Taiyute. It was hard to wrap her mind around, but, the woman in front of her was just as real as she was. As was her manipulation of the air around them, Xalrei watching her display. Her curiosity was kindled, a host of questions spilling out of the dragonewt before Taiyute could even answer the first. "What do genies look like? Are they like you but more, uh air-like? And are there more than just one plane, like one for fire, or ice...?"

As her questions slowed, Xalrei realized her slip of self control, a blush adorned her face as her usual demeanor returned. "Uh, s-sorry about that. You don't have to answer all that, if you don't want to. I know I asked a lot..."

The travel continued on, as spirits lifted ever so gently. The fight against the undead had been a draining experience, but with proper resting, camping, and a lack of being attacked once again on the way to Tepel, morale was starting to bloom properly once again. That would either hold, or drop, as the fortress city came into view... It had seen better days. "Jade, hold here." Lavinia spotted a set of guards coming out of the fort to greet their wagon. They would need to provide proper identification in the current times. If the damage to the fort's exterior was any indication, Ithraxl had been making constant assaults on the city. Whether it would hold up or fall likely depended on the group's actions going forward.

"Nessraya, come with me." Seeing the general with her would be good for two things. If the fort had already fallen, Ithraxl's men wouldn't be able to resist seeing Nessraya so 'vulnerable', within striking distance. It would easily tell them if they had to retreat. If not, there was no one else like her, it would make identification much quicker.

"Well, this place has certainly seen better days..." Nessraya noted to herself, shaking her head lightly as she floated out of the back of the travelling wagon, hovering next to Lavinia as the knight dismounted. Could they give it better times ahead, or would they fail? Was it already too late? Thinking about such things didn't really... help, but the brain will wander without permission, at times.

"I'm sure with us here it will stand to see even more. Let's get this over with so the tired of our group can rest in proper beds and quarters, yes?" Lavinia smirked as they approached the guards, a vampire, a beastman, and a beastwoman, that--

"Wait... That smell, you're-- Nessraya!" The beastwoman of the group's eyes suddenly lit up, making a dive for the succubus! "Nessraaaaayaaaaaa!"

"Wh-What!?" Lavinia moved to fetch a sword she always kept at her side, but it was too late, Nessraya was already--

Getting... Hugged...? "Wh... What's, going on?" Lavinia looked towards the other guards, they had no idea from the shrugs and confused looks they gave.

"Nessy! Nessraya, I've missed you so much~!" The catgirl seemed to know the general, rather personally, with how tight she'd been apprehended...

As she heard her name being called out, Nessraya's eyes snapped to proper attention. She knew it wouldn't take long to be recognized, but this quickly? Before she could determine whether the cry came from friend or foe, she was being lunged at. But that voice, that appearance... here? Her hand was already poised to skewer the charging beast-girl with magic, but a spell never came. Instead, Nessraya relaxed her body, knowing that tensing would simply make it more likely for something to go wrong, and allowed herself to be bowled over and subsequently cuddled by the cat.

"It has certainly been a long time, Amera. I didn't think that if I saw you again, it would be in a situation like this..." Nessraya replied, gently petting the guard's hair and ears as the duo landed in a heap on the ground.

"Nyahhh~" Content with the petting she was receiving, she quieted down, started purring, and didn't bother to say another word.

"I... Well, then. Er... I, am Lavinia Vasilia, head knight of castle Attisio. If, your captain's actions are any indication, this is general Nessraya... And since you aren't attacking her for it, I take it that Tepel has yet to fall?"

"Correct, Lady Vasilia," the vampire present spoke up, nodding from under his hood. "If your group is reinforcements sent by the King, we will welcome them with as much as we can. While our walls have begun to crumble, our rations and weapons have yet to run low. We will restock you as best as we can... Er... S-So long as you can afford it. We do, still need to make ends meet with the traders and local farmers."

"Of course. The economy rolls on, insurrection or not... I will need to speak with your... Amera, was it? Along with a few others. It is good to know we will be received well, at least. Jade!" Lavinia called over, for the wagon to be driven up proper. "And, Nessraya, please find a way to pick yourself up, with the cat, too."

"I will do my best, Lavinia." Nessraya replied, as the formal dealings continued despite her incapacitation. Well, it was about the best possible news they could have hoped for, so that was certainly something to be celebrated. As for the actual task of getting off the road... Amera was built well, but her particular brand of beastfolk were lithe by design, so it wasn't terribly difficult to hover off of the ground even with Amera laying on top of her... luckily her flight wasn't entirely mechanical... had magic not played a part, getting off the ground from this sort of position would have proven nigh-on impossible. Still, she would need to either convince Amera to walk alongside her or get onto the roof of the wagon, she wasn't going to make much distance still acting as a bed for the purring cat.

In the interim, however, she was content to give Amera a few more ear scritches and pets... it had been a long while, after all.

"Mrrrrr... Fine." Nessraya floating up was enough indication that it was time to let go, Amera hopping off of the general, with a bit of a sigh. "Then a talk we shall have, Lady Vasilia. I've my own little problem to introduce to you lot, anyway... Some humans from Hwein who demanded they be able to help here at the fort." Not entirely accurate of what had transpired, but close enough. "Bring your problem along to come and meet mine~ I'm sure it'll be a blast."

"Right... Well, that might cheer her up, a bit." Lavinia meant, Marina, of course. More humans was a good thing for the girl, wasn't it? She'd been managing, but they wouldn't hold any ire for her at face value. Surely...

"Oh? How interesting... Hwein has never been quite as callous as the others, but to see a group of humans rather than an individual or two come around at a time like this... how rare~" Nessraya added as the weight came off of her chest and stomach, allowing the succubus to level out to a normal hover. 

"No need to be upset at any rate, Amera. I'm sure we will have... plenty of time to catch up after matters are settled, hmm~?" The General teased, smacking her tail playfully against the cat's rear end as she landed on the ground, Nessraya floating towards the town gates to make room for the wagon to continue along.

Marina looked out to see it. They had made it to Tepel. She made it... amazing herself that she had gotten as far as she had. She swallowed, thinking about what she was told. This was different than Aensbrook had been, as opposed to a town that dodged everything that had happened, this place was being defended from Ithraxl, he making a constant attempt to take the city. 

A fight I'll soon be caught in...

To her, hopefully, she'd encounter this Ithraxl sooner than later. The sooner she'd be able to take down this traitor to Vaia, the better. Even if, considering Tailyah's situation in regards to it all. She shook the thought away.

She could've stayed in the wagon, but in reality, it might've looked bad on her to not face these people. It's her fault this is going on to begin with. Hopping out the wagon, she followed Lavinia and Nessraya as they talked with this 'Amera', someone quite fond of Nessraya, Good, she deserves it. Slightly behind Lavinia, she gave a small nod. "P-Pardon for interrupting, I hope it is okay that I join in the talk," the girl requested, her voice shy, small...

Taiyute's position in on the back of the wagon, made it unclear really how much progress had been made. A stop in the middle of the road, with sounds in the distance? That was a sign that was fairly clear. Carefully climbing the back of the wagon, her head poked out the top to see quite the beauty. It was Tepel, somewhere she had briefly visited not too long before all of this began. A good spot, just Taiyute's own issues of not wanting to stay in one place keeping her out.

It was nice to be back. She learned some things since then, she could better properly communicate, maybe this time, she'd enjoy her stay a bit more.

Deciding to wait as best as she could, she slipped back to her position, hanging off the wagon again as she awaited the proper time to get out and move.

Hearing Marina call the two of them cute didn't have the same impact on Jade as Lavinia's assertion of similar fact several days ago. Was it because of who the words were coming from? Was it because she was growing used to it, accepting it, no longer fighting it?

"Well, I'd say at least 70% of that is credit to Lavinia," the zombie agreed. No, deflection was still on the menu it seemed. The vampire's stuttering and stammering brought a giggle, and further words. "See what I mean?"

It wasn't until she was chided for her choice of phrasing, what had been wrong with what she'd said anywa--ohhhh, oh no. The look given as the word in question was repeated back with specific emphasis drove home the double meaning like a stake to the heart. Finally joining Lavinia in embarrassment, Jade's complexion turned a dusky rose. Any comment she might have had about not minding if Lavinia couldn't keep her body safe, how they could fix it up together was completely lost, the words drying and dying in her throat as the merchant wordlessly, shyly passed over the rifle, averting her gaze to where the cerberus had romped off to, a weak excuse for not making eye contact.

...Even so, the offer intrigued her, and her mind wandered. Oh dear.

Some people might have been bothered by the 'Jade stop, Jade come, Jade wait, Jade go,' but understanding that fact of the relationship had been within the merchant's initial calculations and expectations. Not to mention she was getting a lot more than that outside work hours, as remniscing about the afternoon gunplay a few days back clearly illustrated, not to mention the late night company. So no, being the coachman was just fine, not getting invited to strategy meetings didn't mean she wasn't important. Jade was well enough aware of who appreciated her, and how, and that was plenty enough for her.

Though, that didn't mean she shouldn't continue to seek to expand her connections. When Lavinia and Nessraya had disembarked and gone ahead, the front seat was empty, and tempting though it might be to call Xalrei or Agni or someone to come up and fill it for the moment might be, the business would likely be soon concluded, and they'd have to vacate again just as conversation had begun. Though...

Jade turned her head and tilted it upward, looking to the roof of the wagon, where often their feathered friends were wont to perch. Her rapport with Gabriela had been neutral, trending to positive, but the siren had kept her distance since the event at the ruins. Had Jade been too snippy, too defensive during the barrage of questions suffered in the immediate aftermath of the Morwen incident? Maybe it was worth finding out, extending an olive branch. ...and then there was the thing with Bladen. Well, nothing ventured, right?

"I was thinking that, while some of the more important people are engaging in meetings with higher ups at the fort here and planning the execution of official business and everything, that I would take a bit of a stroll around and see what was what. Would you be interested in joining me, Gabriela? ...Bladen?"

While she was distracted in conversation, Marina had leapt down from the wagon, and gone rushing up after the general and the royal guard. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem, but Jade wasn't the Hero's keeper by any means, and there were several other people that would have been better positioned to stop her if it were too much trouble. Basically any of them riding in the back of the wagon, instead of up front, but probably especially the librarian, also closely connected to the demon king, her castle, and her affairs. She was still waiting for her answer when, initial meeting concluded, she was called for to get the wagon moving again.

"No need to rush for an answer if you need to think it over, there'll be some time once we get inside before I head off, so if you're interested, just find me then."

With that, she gave the nightmares a shake of the reins, and they began trotting up to the small knot of people who'd left in advance.

Edited by Balcerzak

It was hard to tell from the walls, but it seemed as if the approaching force had come to a halt at Amera's approach. It was a safe enough conclusion, then, that they were the the reinforcements Tepel had been awaiting after all.

Seilan let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Help was a welcome sight, seeing as they'd been holding Tepel less well than he'd hoped. The mercenaries were fully trained, but the worst they'd fought were organized bandits, the kind that the cavalry scattered with a single valorous charge; the same kind of charge that Captain Virrin had undertaken five days ago, now. Except, as it turns out, the Vaian insurrectionists were more well-armed, well-armored, and well-prepared than countryside bandits, and so fell Captain Virrin and the rest of what little cavalry they'd arrived with.

After that, it turned out his meager learnings at the academy was all they had for leadership now that their officers had fallen, leaving him to direct Hwein's forces, and in the days since then, he'd lost more people defending the walls. Far from home in Vaia, fighting on little more than a promise for aid for Hwein. He hoped it would be worth it, when the time came for Hwein's liberation.

"For now, though, it'd be good to get acquainted with the Vaians," he thought idly as he descended the walls and approached the gates.

For once Xalrei had been in the wagon, rather than out scouting; though, that was mostly for the fact that approaching Tepel by her lonesome, with her unmarked armor and no (known) importance, was a fast tract to getting imprisoned, if not killed. As the wagon came to a stop, Xalrei peeked out to see the cause, her gaze first falling on the battered state of Tepel's walls and then to the approaching guards. Seeing Marina get out, and approach the forming mix of their group and the guards, the dragonewt's choice was made for her. Resettling herself, she laid her head back against the canvas of the wagon. She'd stretch her wings once they were inside the walls, when there was more to do than just walk and talk.

Sunbathing on top of the wagon had become on of Gabriela's favourite past-times. The only person who could join her was Bladen, and he usually didn't bother her. If anyone bothered anyone, it was usually the other way around. One of those days it was where she was just closing her eyes thinking about whatever.. the battles ahead, her relationships, and of course, money... or she was until she heard a voice. It took a while to place it but it definitely belonged to the undead Jade, the same one that Gabby had been a bit rude to since the incident after the battle. Did she really just invite her to take a stroll? In truth, Gabriela wanted to say yes, but she still felt a little bad about what happened the other day, and was unsure if Jade was just being polite, or if she actually wanted to talk. While Jade left in preparation to move on, she made some to think about it. If she didn't bury the hatchet now, who knows when another chance would present itself, if at all. No, clearly now was the time to apologize. 

She spread her wings, which had been well-rested and warm due to the sunlight. She jumped off the wagon and made sure to land just fine on her feet. Jade wasn't terribly difficult to find, as she was always around, unlike some other monsters in the group, who were better off not being named. ''Hey Jade, sorry I didn't answer you sooner, but that stroll sounds lovely. Only if you still have time of course. Besides, i'm a little tired of letting my wings collect dust on the roof of the wagon while sunbathing. My legs need some exercise too!'' She pointedly stood on her feet after that, taking a bit of time to get used to the weight of her wings.

"Mrowr~ Wait until we're inside the fort~" Amera could barely contain herself, much to the chagrin of Lavinia, who was hoping they would meet a more professional squad of soldiers taking care of one of their most important strategic positions. Hopefully discussions would proceed in a proper manner, at least. With a sigh, she almost missed Marina having run up to them, her quiet voice catching the vampire's ears at the perfect moment between words.

"Ah, Marina. Yes, you're coming, of course. You're the star, after all." Hopefully the reveal would cause few problems, they hadn't exactly been able to send a messenger ahead. With Nessraya here, at least, it seemed things would be tense, but amiable, at worst.

"She's the star? Little girl like her...? Hmm. Well, I'm sure you'll explain once we're inside.

It only took another ten minutes to get the wagon into Tepel proper. Despite the look of the outside walls, what was still standing of the city looked almost untouched. What was still standing, at least. There were several houses that had been collapsed, and a look into the ruins provided the answer as to why: trebuchet. Large boulders had collapsed their roofs and taken the walls with them... "Siege weaponry, really? What kind of madman is Ithraxl, really? There are innocent people living here, this isn't a military only institution." In reality, only the trade of weapons and tomes, as well as the fort the city was named for, were run by any of Vaia's military personnel. The rest of the people living and trading in Tepel were Vaia's citizens, and they were the ones under siege from this madness.

Amera and her guards led Jade's cart towards the fort, nodding at one of them to inform Braksen that he was going to be housing some horses. "Alright! This is our fine fort Tepel, and you are all welcome to sleep here. 'Cept for your nightmares, miss Zombie, those will have to stay at the temporary stall we have setup at Braksen's pub. Ithraxl's trebuchets took our cavalry quarters out in his last assault, else we'd gladly set you up here. The rest of you! Take any room that's empty in the fort. If it is, the key will be on the bed, and you can use it until you need to leave. Don't exactly know how long you people will be staying here, I'll square that out with Lavinia and the general~" Amera couldn't help the lilt in her voice when addressing Nessraya, her affection painfully evident.

"Right... Then, Asami? Please pay the fine folk we've had traveling with us. You heard her, I assume! Your rooms are taken care of, so spend or save this gold wisely. We'll likely be here for several days, and given the fort hasn't fallen, I assume Tepel's weapons manufacturing is in full swing. Restock or take a load off, see what the town has to offer for the lot of you... We've, had a lot of travel, so I'm sure the lot of us could use some proper normalcy." They hadn't been attacked again during their travels after the woods, but camping and constantly moving by wagon was far from what one might consider normal. A good bed, warm food, nice people. It was these they were fighting to protect, and what Lavinia assumed everyone needed to get their energy back proper.

"Iiiiii'm on iiiiit~" Asami had already produced several pouches of gold, somehow. Where the fox kept her items, only Bladen might have known, as no one else had been under that yukata enough. "One thousand gold for each of ya~ Use it how you like! I'm sure the town has plenty to offer." With that said, the fox hopped out and headed over to Lavinia and the general, smiling at them both. "Well then? Shall we have this wonderful strategy meeting~?"

"Yes, we shall. Marina! Come along. Agni, if you feel the need to be with her, you may come as well." Lavinia turned towards the fort, knowing the right people would be in tow.

"Heyyyyyy, Seilan! I know you watched us come in! Get yer butt over here and join us." Amera was sure that mage had crept along and kept tabs on things, she'd seen him atop the fort's walls. With his actual captain dead and gone, her joke of calling him the leader had become reality. As such, whatever this meeting was going to entail, he'd need to be present. "Don't mind the human, Nessraya, he's just a bit slow~ I'm sure this will go smoothly, and then we'll have aaaaaaall the time in the world to ourselves." It was more than clear that Amera didn't care much for humans...

With all that taken care of, Taliyah slowly picked up her share of the gold, surprised she'd even been given any. After pocketing the coins, she jumped to Agni's side. "Uhm! Uh! I-I know that Lavinia offered for you to watch over Marina, but... W-Well... If y, y-you don't mind going around, the town I... W-Was hoping to get her a gift. And f-ffffor, you, t-to come too." The lizard was all stutters, and finally jumped, when Aithlin put a hand on her shoulder. The elf had armored back up, easier to carry the set around on her body than in a trunk on the wagon. She was confident she wouldn't look out of place in a fort swarming with militia, anyway.

"Wanted me and the boss knight's sister to come along, if you don't mind, Agni. Ain't that right, Bridgit!?" Aithlin called over at the girl just to make sure. They'd invited Nessraya as well, but the general seemed to have very pressing matters to attend to. She could catch up if she cared to, right?

Erephis, meanwhile, had already been given her gold before Asami started doling out bags, quietly slipping off the wagon and slithering into town towards the vendor. She'd been meaning to pick up a few personal supplies, and big gatherings like that weren't her forte. She wouldn't have minded stopping to speak with Ren for a moment before going, though...

The star? Marina wasn't exactly the fondest of the way she described her to the new individual who could hate her the instant the reveal was dropped. Well, there was no turning back now...

Inside the city, Marina looked around, taking in the damage that had been done. Damage that probably wouldn't be here if not for h-- Marina shook the thoughts away as best she could, she was here to help these people. Hopefully ease tensions about her, show she was on their side.

Keeping up with Lavinia as they went inside, there was still that feeling of fright in her. Realistically, anyone who thought they had a shot could go for her life, and she wouldn't fight back, she was too scared of the idea, too scared to look more and more like she was the monster, not these people...

Before she knew it, she had taken Lavinia's hand, gripping it tightly. It was almost instinctual, she could trust the vampire would protect her if something happened. There was a small shaking in her hands. She didn't want to be here, but knew she had to.

"Please don't leave me alone here..." Marina quietly whispered to Lavinia, her hand still firmly connected to the other.

Taiyute exited the cart as they got into the city, stretching whatever muscles her body had. Thinking about it more, Genasi were weird compared to terrestrials. Thoughts for later, Taiyute had other ideas on hand.

There wasn't anything in particular she wanted or had to do as they were in this town. She had been here once, but now here again as a defender. She could try the brewery, daring people into drinking contests again. No. The vendor? Maybe, she needed some new equipment.

Then, she noticed in the direction of the vendor, it was the snake woman heading it's way. Maybe she'd like some company. Taiyute was already quick on her feet.

"Elphis, yes? Would you be in interest of me accompanying you?" The Taiyute asked, in a smaller tone than normal, both in her shyness, and her recognition this woman was superior in strength to her.

Bladen had been acting as a rear guard of sorts, sitting up on the top of the wagon, staring out the direction they had come from. He didn't expect to see anything useful, it was as much an excuse to stay a distance away from people as anything, but it still made him feel better. No ambush from behind would catch them here. His concentration was broken, however, by the call from the zombie. Asking him to go shopping with her. Acting like nothing had ever happened... No. Best not to remember that part right now. Better to just ignore the question. Thankfully, it seemed that Gaby was going to take her up on the offer, making it easier for him to ignore. She had someone with her at least, surely she wouldn't pursue him anymore.

As they arrived and the group started to split up, he hopped down from the wagon, keeping his wings small for now. No need to grow them out just for a simple jump. He did stumble slightly on the landing, but he was quickly able to support himself by grabbing the flap of the wagon opening. Easy enough, you clumsy... Nope, just focus on the positives here. He accepted the coins from Asami with a faint blush for an unclear reason, perhaps he knew where she stored those coins or perhaps he just was still nervous around her. But he quickly stuck his head into the wagon, spotting Xal as he did. "Ah, perfect, just who I was looking for. I was wondering if you wanted to join me in poking around this place a bit? Figure the people in charge will be more comfortable if we stick in pairs in a new city and all of that."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A silent breath in, a silent breath out. Patience and quiet. Those were two things that she was good at, having had what felt like an eternity to practice them. A silent breath in, a silent breath out. She did not know exactly why she was in here. The strange fellows who had brought her here had yelled something about human and a funny word (she thought it was jeil?), and then they had surrounded her and brought her here. A silent breath in, a silent breath out. They hadn't seemed to care when she said she was not a human. She did know what that word meant at least. Too many of her dreams over the ages had been about the conflicts between humans and others. The things she thought were called wars. Perhaps that was why she had naturally fallen into this shape when she landed. But still, they needn't have laughed when she said she was a star. Had they been forgotten already? Surely it had not been that long since one of her brethren had managed to make their way here. She knew of many lights that had gone out, had none landed here? A silent breath in, a silent breath out. They would deal with her soon, they said. They needed someone else before they could do that. So she would be patient. Perhaps this new person would believe her when she said she was a star. A fallen star, true, but a star no less. The world she had long dreamed of, seen the history of in her sleep, was finally in front of her. She could be patient a while longer. A silent breath in, a silent breath out.

Tepel was a fair shake worse off than Jade had remembered leaving it. The trebuchet damage, especially, was impossible to ignore, as she steered the wagon along the main road to the fort at the heart of the city that was its namesake. She had still to receive a reply to her offer by the time she'd parked the wagon, though that was somewhat expected given the almost immediate distraction after she'd put it out there, which had pretty much continued as a stream of new information until the present moment. It was a pleasant surprise then, as she was unhitching the 'mares to lead them toward where stalls had been set up near Braksen's, apparently, when Gabriela did arrive and express an interest.

A smile, and a reply, "Of course. We'll need to finish getting the ladies here accommodated, of course," the zombie gestured to DV and BV, "And then, hmmm, actually, there might be a place nearby that could be fun to stop at?" She tilted her head a little, as memory of the city slowly returned to her, and she recalled the curious fortune teller very near the area. While when she'd been alive and human she'd mostly discounted anyone advertising themselves with slogans such as: "Palms read, crystal old, cards spread, fortunes told", she'd started to warm up more and more to the supernatural as the years since her death had continued marching on.

The rest of the group was also dispersing, the most important ones headed to a strategy meeting inside the fort proper, with a few other parties breaking off to various other location to shop. Jade could have sworn she heard a familiar name, but it clearly couldn't have been referring to the person she thought it was, for a whole host of reasons, so she merely blinked twice and shook her head, returning her attention to the siren and her nightmares. As they walked to their destination, Jade provided some boring small talk, mostly pointing out features as they passed them by, noting differences from her last visit, things like that. She wasn't sure exactly how to broach the topic of past awkwardness, and maybe if she just kept up with normal there wouldn't be any need to. And her intended destination, she almost wanted it to be a bit of a secret surprise. "... there's the forge, I'll probably stop by there later, actually. Have a couple of questions for a personal project, but not something I actually want someone else to do for me, you know? Sometimes that takes all the fun out of things. Ah, and there's apparently the makeshift stables, by Brasken's. If you'll excuse me a few quick moments..."

Having gotten the 'mares situated and taken care of, she returned to face Gabriela, and finally opened up with her idea, hoping it wouldn't be brushed off as silly. "I don't know a lot about it, but I've heard, a little bit, through the grapevine, that there's something from your past you're trying to find answers to, right? Fancy asking the fortune teller? Don't worry about the cost, this one's on me." A bright, honest smile. Probably nothing would come from this, but Jade was happy to spend a little coin on the attempt anyway. Especially if it helped a friendship.

Edited by Balcerzak

He couldn’t help but scowl slightly at Amera’s call for him, even if he had been about to meet the new arrivals anyways. She had a remarkably crass way of addressing people who had come to help; though, admittedly, it was hard to blame a Vaian for resenting humans. It was evident enough that not everyone got this treatment from her, if the way she was clinging to that woman was any indication.

Passing by the wagon on the way to the fort, he caught a glimpse of the people that had been disembarking the wagon for a trip into town. For a group Amera had been so eager to see, there were fewer than he’d expected – less than the group he’d arrived with, though by now that number had dwindled. And stranger still, there were humans among them. Not that it was unheard of for Vaians to cooperate with humans, being one himself, and all. No, the odd part was that they were apparently important enough to be joining the meeting.

As for the ones heading into town, they seemed to be in good enough cheer. He couldn’t help but envy them a little; the past week had been rough on Seilan, between anxiously anticipating attacks at all hours and keeping the mercenaries focused. He made a mental note to wander the town himself later; he hadn’t yet, and he could use the distraction.

Ah, but he’d tarried too much during his observing. He had to hurry along, now, before he inadvertently gave Amera any more to work with against him. There were a fair few fresh faces, and she certainly wasn’t going to help with making first impressions.

The more important people of the group, which Gabriela most definitely wasn't a part of, took off to do whatever they had to in this town, which frankly looked like a dump. She had never visited Tepel, so she wasn't sure how it normally looked, but it most definitely wasn't like this. Jade seemed to have been here before, as she was leading them and her two lovely ladies through the town with no problem, and described all sorts of features of the town as they passed it. The town suddenly didn't look too shabby, with nice places to eat were everywhere, and nice shops to buy lovely clothes were spread around as well. New life could definitely bloom here, if they got the support, of course. Whether this was one of the king's priorities, remained to be seen. Then again, she didn't know the king at all, and had never seen him. She may have heard names being thrown around.. but remembering all of them is not one of Gabriela's priorities. 

The lingering awkwardness in the air hindered the conversation greatly. While Jade mostly spread trivia about the shops, what kind of nick-nacks they sold, who their owners were, stuff like that, Gabriela could only respond with ''I see.'' or ''Uh-huh.'' After DV and BV were taken care of, Jade finally spoke up. An offer for the ages. A fortune-teller. And it was Jade's treat? ''Wow... that sounds nice. I'm not sure how trustworthy fortune-tellers are, but... I suppose it's worth a try. It's really nice of you to treat me after I was so rude to you before... so thank you.'' the smile on Jade's face was honest and sweet, and Gabriela could not help but reciprocate. 

The group had reached Tepel. Ayane had opted to guard the wagon from the outside, she needed the walk and fresh air truth be told. A good walk always helped keep her mind clear. As they walked toward the town she took a good look around, never once letting her guard down or her hand off her blade sheath. The state of the town was concerning, but it didn't phase Ayane in the slightest. She's seen her fair share of damaged towns and forts, hell she's seen far worse due to Ouka's handiwork. "Ren, do keep an eye out. I don't need to tell you that, but it makes me feel better either way." She walked through the streets with a steeled gaze about the town.

Edited by TheRoon

Agni was thankful that Tepel seemed to be their last stop. The fortification was much more inviting that the camps the group raised, diligent as they were. It gave Agni ample time to assess the situation, with regards to Ithraxl's actions. The extent of the previous' siege damage was notable, but the civilian were still managing for now. Likewise, the fort was good enough to serve its purposes, as well as the walls surrounding the city. It wouldn't be a bad plan to wait for the fight to be brought to them.

...But mayhaps the citizens had other insights to give. Marina would be one to decide. And Agni would be there to suppo--

Well, maybe not if circumstances called for him.

"Oh? Something like that, hmm... that sounds like a good idea, Taliyah. I'm sure we can find something great for Marina." He smiled, returning the gesture with a hand on her shoulder, much like Aithlin, and turned his face to acknowledge the elf with a nod. "So you're all in this? It's nice to be called as well. I don't mind it at all, Aithlin, Lady Vasilia."

Ah, there went Marina and Lavinia... well, it was for a good cause.

"Of course cousin dearest," is his only response, muffling a yawn behind his hand as he watches her leave.  He bit back the urge to follow, and sighs as he takes the opposite direction.  The ex-human also makes sure to give a wide berth to the others, not really in the mood to keep up smiles and appearances.

He can only take so much.

Feeling a comforting weight on his head, Ren only huffs and reaches up to pet his feathery companion.  Ukogi, being free to come and go as he pleases, never really stays around when fights happen and comes back when wanting something from his master.  This time Ren could offer nothing, so it isn't surprising when Ukogi responds by pecking his fingers.

"Alright, alright.  Let me find you something," he calls out calmly, looking at the pouch of gold the conniving fox had given to each of them.  He can't help but let his frown deepen, then transform into an unreadable expression as he puts away the gold.  Taking out his fan and with a delicate flick of his wrist, he conceals himself once more.  Maybe a good drink is on the menu...

After asking around, even if he knew that Jade's mares were stationed in the stalls there, Ren made his way towards Braksen's Brewery.  Putting his fan away, he ignores the others in the pub and simply orders an ale ("and keep them coming").  Ukogi settles onto the bar top, pecking and chirping at the "snacks" provided to the drunkards of the establishment.  Ren simply chuckles into his drink, downing it in one swift motion before motioning the bartender to bring another.

He promised his cousin to keep an eye out, to do his "duty" in a way, but with so many bodies in their company...

I'm not really needed, am I?  They can fend for themselves.

"Eh? Oh, yes of course," the Pureblood calls out as she floats over to the small group forming with Taliyah and Aithlin.  Fortunately Nessa isn't joining them, the young vampire letting out a relieving sigh.  At least conversations will run smoothly without the general.

N-Not that she dislikes her!  She's just...a bit too much sometimes...

Shaking her head at those thoughts, her eyes lock on Agni before tilting her head to the side lightly.  He's...the Hero's guardian? Caretaker? No matter, her grudge is with the so called Hero and not him.  Actually, she in turn nods curtly back at his small greeting.  "Don't forget that we were also going to purchase a gift for you Taliyah," she pipes up while floating over to the lizard girl.  "No need to leave yourself out, even if it's passed," she huffs, poking the other on her cheek before moving away.