Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

As Bladen inquired about his blade--where he'd gotten such a vicious looking weapon the dragon had no idea--Xalrei looked around the shop waiting for her turn. Schematics everywhere, but no weapons, though it was a modification service after all. Not a weapon shop. The owner had plenty ideas at the very least, Xalrei drawn to the gauntlet design that she'd just set down to deal with Bladen. It was more due to the intricate design than anything else, though ever since the dragon had seen Taiyute fight she'd gained a passing interest in the martial arts. Looking up as the orc gave Balden his options, she caught the glance at Requiem. Could she actually do something to the cursed blade?

Pulling Requiem off her belt, careful to keep her thoughts peaceful lest it wake up, Xalrei placed the cursed blade on the counter once Bladen was done. "I was wondering if you could repair this at all? It already kinda did that itself, but maybe you could speed that up, or something? Not sure if it can be modified..." Requiem had the orc's interest, in the very least. Whether she had the skillset to work on the blade would soon be answered. "Oh and, can I ask you who those gauntlets are for? They look really neat."

Edited by Ursali

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marina couldn't help feeling pity for the... well, celestial. It gladdened her that the woman was fine with the name. Aside from that, she was lonely, feeling she was the only one in the world. Marina felt the being's pain, despite all the attempts to connect with the people here, Marina was alone when it came to what she knew and understood. She was the only otherworlder too. Well, technically, Astraea and Taiyute's existences considered.

Marina approached the being, and gave a pat, and a soft, gentle rub of her shoulder.

"If it helps, we have someone like a celestial in our group. Not exactly one, but..." From how she understood Astraea so far, she didn't really understand a lot of words aside from their basics. She'd made it work.

"It'd probably be easier to introduce her to you. When this is over, I mean," as much as Marina wanted to help out the lonesome star, her duty called...

The matter in which Erephis spoke confused Taiyute. Never see her like that? In that case, Taiyute simply nodded, but still contained her curiosity about it.

Then there was the point of asking about magic. Something that admittedly excited the excitable genasi. "A-ah, um..." She thought first, to gather her words, make sure she said the right words, "U-uh, if it is able miss Erephis... If you could teach about other magics, I'd... I'd like to understand more. I am... not best at magic. One of, many things why I left home. I only really excel with wind magic... {and with handicaps}," her voice escaped, closing up.

A deep breath, "I should be much, much better. Would you... be able to help me in assisting?" 

Ari seemed quite friendly she had to admit, but she still wasn't sure what to make of this situation. Still, it was too late to back out now. Some strange sort of pride prevents her from doing so, not to mention curiosity. "Hm...I suppose so." She responded. "But seeing an Oni at all is strange enough to stick out by itself I'd hope, it would make it easier to find her...in theory that is. So far that hasn't held up."

When they had arrived at the barracks Ayane's eyes were on the soldiers training. They had good form indeed, and quite a different style from her own homeland's military. She couldn't help but watch them train, she enjoyed studying other fighting styles whenever she could. "...hm?" The lizardman addressed them and drew the Oni princess out of her studious trance. "A challenge is it?" She responded to Ari and chuckled. "Very well. I'm curious to see how these soldiers can handle Izunan swordsmanship." She turned to Ari. "And you of course, I'm eager to cross blades with you." ''I do wonder what her style is, I suppose I'll find out soon.'

As the Vaians and the… ‘celestial’… exchanged words, Seilan listened quietly. It came as a surprise that of all present, the Hero was the one most familiar with whatever the star was. Thinking back to stories and legends of the stars left him drawing a blank; there was little that came to mind save that wishes made upon a star were sure to come to pass. Not that any of his had, of course, and certainly none of them had involved such a star taking form and roaming the lands. Her story seemed innocuous enough, though, unfortunate as it was.

“I can’t say I’ve heard talk of any of your brothers and sisters in any place I’ve ever been, but I wish you luck finding them nonetheless, Astraea. If all goes well with our plans, it ought to be peaceful enough to look for them freely.”

Letting her go seemed like the right thing to do, anyways. That settled, his mind began to wander, and between Amera’s outburst, the reveal of the Hero, and the growing realization that these were some of the most important people in Vaia, he was starting to feel the pressure of the room.

“Well, if that will be all, I’ll be off now. I need to inform the others from Hwein of what we’ll be doing from here on, and have everyone properly prepared.” It was a true enough reason, though he didn’t let on that his fatigue was the real motivation for the prompt exit. A rest without worrying about an attack sounded wonderful after everything that had happened this past week.

Maybe he’d explore the town, too. Might as well; having looked at it now and then from the walls didn’t really count as a visit, after all.

At hearing Asami express her own fears and worries, instead of being patronizing or making fun, the ex-human can't help it when his eyes widen in surprise.  Her, afraid?  Well, that didn't surprise him at all, seeing as who they were dealing with.  What did catch his attention is the fact that she didn't hate or dislike them; if anything, her feelings when first meeting were justified to a point.

It didn't change his resentment, but knowing what he does now as misunderstandings are cleared...

"I can only imagine..." he offers at first, eyes softening before letting a more genuine smile reach his lips as Asami tries the ale one more time.  "Apology accepted."  There's so much more he wants to talk about, to offer his own apologies and to reassure the other that not all is lost.  Her leaning against his arm stops all form of thoughts, mainly because it's such an unexpected motion from the fox...but not unwelcomed.

"Hold onto that humanity... It might save you, in the end."

He wants to let out a brittle laugh, something broken and jarring to show how he really felt about that sentiment...but Asami, he can see, is trying, and so he waves her off when she starts to leave. Ren looks down at his hands, eyes narrowing as claws tap and scrape against the bar surface.  Clearing up the air between them...it was refreshing, in a way.  If they could be on the same page, see eye to eye, then perhaps not all is lost.

As for his humanity...he'll try.  It hasn't changed from when he first left his homeland, but he didn't and won't succumb to this curse.  That has to count for something...right? Right.

"Depending on how much the rings are, this Bridgit isn't opposed in getting one or two for our dear comrade," she offers with an impish smile.  The sandals can wait for later, as a surprise and when they had more time.  The tunics however...

"Hm, they're still talking to the shopkeeper.  We'd like to ask about the tunics as well, and..." her eyes trail off to the boots biting her lower lip lightly before releasing it.  She found a cute pair, something that the Pureblood didn't mind wearing and are probably comfortable if she tries them on but...

Jade's eyebrow raised as the fortune-teller gave them their names. Right out of the gates, the woman was working on establishing her legitimacy. The dangle of another test, for the trifling fee of a single gold, was half-tempting, but there were many expressions that rather fittingly applied to these circumstances. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You get what you pay for. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

'Twould be better to treat the seer with the respect she deserved. Any further request for a demonstration of prowess before exchanging coin, real coin, not just a penny, would be bordering on insulting. At least, that was the merchant's opinion. So instead of taking the bait, the zombie pulled the parchment with prices on it closer to her, and began to browse. It seemed though, that Gabriela still had some questions, but thankfully she didn't phrase them offensively, her curiosity having the air of honest innocence and ignorance. Having settled on something she was comfortable with paying, Jade looked up, catching the siren's look of concern and confusion.

Hopefully this would help clear up any lost feeling she was having. Sometimes there was nothing to make things more obvious than a full demonstration. Fishing out the appropriate coinage from her purse, the merchant placed them, and the paper she'd been looking at, back upon the table, sliding them toward the lamia. Showing Gabriela a reassuring smile before she spoke, Jade made her order.

"I'm sure a good deal of my friend's questions will be answered in the course of watching the reading you do for me." She had turned to look back at the fortune teller now, but thanks to the veil the woman was as inscrutable as ever. That was fine though. "I wager the service I'm requesting is one of your least frequently ordered ones, but I do have my reasons for inquiring," not only had there been the worrying slips here and there when she'd had trouble properly regulating her strength, but she'd bit Bladen and was concerned she might be degrading. There was also that whole... whatever it was Morwen had done, and just... a lot on her plate. "It's also certainly the most time-appropriate for you to throw in your insights on my romantic developments, gratis," Jade added with a bit of a smirk.

"Give me guidance on my present."

"Mhm, you don't see much of holy protection at all. Not in Coteon, at any rate. The church are the ones most focused in its research and use, but you don't see it at all among the populace. Not even the military." It was... a rare trinket to say the least. Mayhaps it was more common within the realm of monsters. They had more reasons to develop such things, after all.

"...Huh?" Taliyah's sudden request did surprise Agni, "Are you okay? You can ask me for some money, you know. These items to look useful." He sighed, crossing his arms after a moment, "...Just think about it, alright?"

Perhaps it wasn't good to hawk her over, the poor thing, already feeling overwhelmed so often.

Paying heed to her words, Agni turned around, making his way towards the other group.

"Hello, Aithlin... Lady Bridgit." That one seemed like the type to care about honorifics, "Did you find some suitable gifts? Taliyah's busy choosing." It'd be nice to be in on the potential gifts.

"Your present it is, Miss Persyn... Though, do give me a moment, while the magic runs its course. Your friend has asked many questions." The room grew darker, whatever magic was displaying the lights upon the ceiling had been absorbed into the crystal upon her table. It became the sole source of light within the hut, twisting through several colors, slowly, fluidly, before settling upon a dim red.

"Gabriela... Ren may bring you quite the hefty amount of sadness, should you not take him seriously as a partner. He is holding onto a lot of pain... As are you. Getting so close to someone, despite your fear of others' distrust...?" She offered no more there, the red hanging, likely for Jade instead. "Your past is what is behind you. Should you wish it, I shall look into what you know, what you may have missed, or what you might have forgotten... Your future is what may come to transpire. There is no such thing as destiny. I can lay out what will come for you should you remain as you are... Only your actions may change things."

Her gaze fell on Jade, head tilting underneath her veil, smiling wide at the zombie. "And your present. Yes... Jade Persyn, so young, as a human and an undead... Traveling with... Many monsters, even becoming attached to one above your status as a corpse... How curious. You should bring that unfinished weapon to the forge, in town. They should be able to provide answers to it and the many questions you have concerning it... Mmm..." Her smile faded, the red of her orb growing more vivid. "Avoid white armor... A powerful sword... Not for you, for..." She couldn't speak further on that, the light dying down somewhat.

"Your interest... Lavinia. Lavinia Caera... A vampire. Do you want to become one as well~?" A curious snicker, the answer was more complicated than a yes or a know, any fortune teller worth their crystal knew that. "She is hurting... You understand why. But what to do for her..." The tip of her tail suddenly snuck up from beneath the table, the teller rubbing it against her chin to think. "Do not rush head first into intimacy. She may joke about it with you; tease; flirt... Those are a front, and a strong charge will break down the walls... So to speak." A giggle, her tail slipped back beneath the table it had snuck up from, and the red of her orb faded, the ceiling becoming lit again with the constellations it had shown before.

"And you, my dear zombie, are too worried about it. A beautiful vampire has allowed you into her life, so close... Cling onto that hope a little harder, and believe in it." A chuckle now, giggles beyond her, she seemed quite interested in Jade's romance. "Lastly... The spirit attached to you is harmless. Though, even I am unsure if you could ever utilize it properly... It is less of a known soul, and more a mass of energy. Whoever it belonged to has passed on... Leaving you with their abilities, despite your inability to harness them. Curious..."

"Mm." The orc didn't have much else to say to an unsure customer, their decision was up to them, not her. Now it was time for the dragon, and the weapon she was carrying. The clearly magical, very dangerous feeling weapon. "Mmmmm..."

Repairs to something so magnificent and powerful? "No. Impossible... Right now. No ore. Need the right metal. Not sold. Would have to find." Something like this had to have been made from orichalcum, enough of it to infuse whatever magics laid dormant in it. Carefully picking up the weapon, she felt nothing, save for the earlier insidious aura that the blade gave off. "Very curious... Bring the ore. Do so... I can fix. Otherwise... Good luck."

As for the gauntlets... "For captain. Special order. Fights with her fist. Needed stronger weapon. Making today."

Whether or not the celestial had any relatives on Xensat, or even in the whole of the world, remained to be seen. Nessraya was correct that Erephis would be the most read of them all if they were to find any answers. Lavinia still wasn't sure what to make of this all, but things seemed to be winding down... Seilan, the human from Hwein, was already making his exit.

"Ahhh, wait, wait! One last thing, I'll do my best to make it quick! From out best intel, Ithraxl plans to attack during the day. So do your best to sleep easy, alright!? Reportedly, he wants to avoid attacking the walls of a fort so heavily filled with vampires when the moon is out. I do suppose he's right, at least half of the militia is made up of them. So... That's all." Amera was rather out of her game, faced with a crying star, the damned hero, and a slowly ending meeting...

"I know the legends say she did... But there's something more mystical about being born into the sky. Don't know how to word it. Go... Meet with that Erephis whoever, see if she can help you." Amera was the next go to, quickly vacating after Seilan. "I've got a pair of gauntlets to check on..."

With the cat leaving, Lavinia turned to Marina, trying her best to smile. "Would you like to accompany Astraea, Marina? I've nothing pressing to attend to, now, but I was hoping to have my own look around town... You, somehow, seem more knowledgeable about them than we are. Do you mind?"

"Iiiiiiiii do~" Asami said, finally speaking up, just to stretch and head for the exit. "Going to go pick through some books and eavesdrop~ If you need me, I'll be... Around~" The fox flitted away, but not before glancing at Nessraya. "You should probably go chase your cat before she beats up someone that doesn't deserve it!"

"A-Assist?" Erephis had never really taught anyone magic before, let alone a being made of magic. How she would go about that, would... "E-Err... W, Well... I, uhm... Wh-What kind, of magic?" Depending on her answer, Erephis could try her hand at it, or say it was impossible for her current skill level. Dark magic would be simple, at the least, to explain... But, to teach? That was another bag of marbles.

"Eager? Don't be too hasty. As much as I welcome the idea, I'd hate to ruin your chance to spar with the rest of them." Ari smirked and stepped towards the soldiers, keeping a hand on the pommel of her blade. "Let's have Aya fend off a few of your first then, yes? Should she do well enough, I'll take a swing at her." There was definitely a sense of pride and perhaps ego in her words, smiling over at Ayane. "Is that fine, miss oni?"

"You know, thinking about it, I've never seen an oni before... The name's Francis." The lizardman leading things stepped out to hold his hand out to Ayane. "We're a pretty simple militia, but we're properly trained in Vaia's military tactics. I'm sure we're not as pushover as your friend seems to suggest. Fancy yourself a go?"

"It'll be fun!" Ari added on, stepping a small bit away to seat herself on a log stationed nearby, likely for soldiers to rest on while others took to the small, flattened out area she could only assume was for their sessions.

"You seem pretty beat, friend." The grizzled voice of an old man met Ren after Asami left, another drink finding its way to the counter. "Free of charge... Not often I get to see a pretty lady like that around here, and she came to see you, so we'll call it thanks for having her drop by." Braksen, the black scaled lizardman that owned the place, was leaning next to Ren, smile shining through the scars that littered his face. "Didn't eavesdrop, promise. Do have a favor to ask of you, though, if you're willing. You seem pretty down... Figure I could at least give you something to do, yeah?"

Fishing through a drawer behind the counter, Braksen pulled out a small key, setting it next to Ren. "If you feel like making a few gold, take that to the orc who runs the armory... 'Course, you could always steal it, but what good is a key if you don't know where it goes, right?" Braksen chuckled to himself, standing up straight and stretching a moment. "If not, I'll ask the next trustworthy looking guy to walk in. Just, uh... Don't drink too hard, friend."

"I, I will think about it. Properly... I, I promise." Agni walked away... And she took her window. "I... I-I only have thirty one hundred. W-Will this cover the rest...?" Taliyah pulled out the medal she'd stolen from Marina, setting it on the counter. "I, uhm... I just didn't want to h-have him see me... Make a bad deal... Do you think it's, e-enough...?"

Tia picked up the medallion and gave it an inspection. She could feel a small bit of magic radiating off of it, so she nodded. "I don't know if it's anything special, but it's magical enough, and solid gold. Sure thing, little dragon... I'm sure your friend will be happy." Reaching down to pat Taliyah's hair, the lizard froze in place, not used to that kind of content. "Gotta be happy with friends like you lookin' after them."

Taliyah sells the mark of the hero!
Taliyah purchases a Necklace of Divine Intervention!
Taliyah purchases two Rings of Steel Plating!

"Ah! Hey there, Agni. Purchase for Marina going well? Figured I'd get Taliyah some new clothes and a hat to keep her skin safe, since she doesn't cover it up much... Bridgit's looking into jewelry. Little lizard like her probably likes shiny things, right?" It seemed as though the vampire had her eyes on something else, as well, a pair of boots. Aithlin chuckled and smiled at her. "Go ahead, Bridgit. Yes, we're here for Marina and Tali, but you can take care of yourself, too. It's clothes, after all, everyone needs them."

"And, playboy? What do you want to get her, besides yourself?" Aithlin wasn't about to avoid joking on that while Taliyah was busy, gently elbowing the man. "She's real taken with you, even a blind man could see that. Bet if you offered yourself up as her present she'd faint from excitement on the spot."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Mmm, I do believe that you're right, Asami." Nessraya mused, floating off after Amera as the Captain exited the meeting room... but she would never catch the agile beastwoman when she had gotten a headstart. Still, she had mentioned something about a pair of gauntlets... thinking for a moment about the layout of Tepel, Nessraya turned to one of the windows, floating out and gently down to the ground below. If Amera was going to the district containing the forge and armoury, then she would have to take this exit from the Fort, after all. Landing next to the door, she waited for Amera to step through, figuring that at the cat's pace leaving the meeting room, she would only be a few moments.

Having stayed just long enough to catch the end of Amera’s info, Seilan briskly exited the fort, waiting until a safe distance from the others at a meeting before cracking a smile. There was a certain humor in her brief panic to finish explaining contrasted to their decidedly one-sided first meeting. Not that he’d really done anything himself to stumble her, but seeing another side of her after all that aggression was certainly something.

He set off towards the northwest quadrant of the city to have a talk with the rest of the mercenaries, and had been walking for a few minutes until his sleep-addled brain finally kicked along the thought that they were probably making use of their newly found free time. It wouldn’t be worth the effort to track each one of them down right now; it’d best to just catch them tomorrow in the morning at the barracks. Though, this did leave him with some free time of his own… ‘Town it is, then.’

Aimlessly walking through the streets, he had to admit the town was fairly nice; at least, enough was there to imagine it had been, before all the battle damage. Still, those living here seemed to be getting along well enough given the circumstances, so they were probably fairly hardy folk. The weapons trade going on in this city reminded him a bit of the metalworks back home, and faint memories of the family workshop trickled back to him.

Home… How was it back home? Dorren was probably running the day-to-day of the shop now, he had the experience and it was about the right time for their parents to hand off the shop... It felt as if thoughts of Hwein were never more than a moment away. The occupation had been less bad for humans than monsters in Hwein, but that was a low bar to clear, and it could get worse at any time, after all. Not only that, it had been over two weeks since their group had left the capital, and it could be as long or longer till they returned.

Seilan blinked, shifting his focus from his thoughts to the surrounding buildings, and found himself in front of the town’s vendor. A mixture of curiosity and boredom urged him towards the door, and he stepped inside with a quiet “Hello.”

Bladen was surprised. Seemed this blacksmith knew more than he'd expected, or he'd overestimated the uniqueness of the weapon, one of the two. Either way. For now, he shoved the sword back into the sheath it belong in. "Mmm, I think I will pass on the forging for now. I appreciate the advantages you could provide me though, so perhaps later." He couldn't help but feel how light the pouch of coins at his waist felt right now. No, best to keep holding on to that for now. Unlike others who had supplemented their gains through the arena earlier in their travels, he needed to be a bit more careful with his gold. He needed to be smart. Still, he stuck around, wondering if Xal knew where to find this metal the blacksmith was talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it truly seemed as if there was only one in their group here who had any idea of her people, and she was not even from this world. Astraea managed to wipe the tears away, shaking glittering droplets to the floor, and simply nodded in response to the suggestions that she talk to an Erephis, whoever that was. Apparently the one who knew of her kind, Marina?, would take her to Erephis. She managed a small smile to Marina, and another nod. "One... like me? But not? I am afraid that I do not understand thine meaning. Perhaps you are correct to suggest meeting after this." After that though, what? She'd talk to one or two people who might know those like her and then what? Wandering around looking for her brethren hadn't exactly worked out well, and then there was the fact that she'd been taken captive once already. Who was to say it would not happen again? Maybe she could stay here in this city. Marina seemed to care about her, after all. She could stay with her for a while, learn more about the world, and see where she should head next. That would work, would it not? Still, no sense in talking about it until she had talked to the two people that had been suggested. There still was a small possibility they could direct her to those of her kind...

"W-wait, what? But, I-I, um... h-hold on..." Marina was admittedly shocked by the suggestion, she didn't want to separate from anyone, too scared to be in Tepel in reality, on her own. Her stuttered murmurs kept going until eventually being interrupted by Astraea.

Oh no, I think she's agreeing, She had to look away a bit pondering, maybe it'll just be fine... maybe... Maybe... A sigh, but she nodded. She took as a chance to prove she'll be fine, a chance to let someone see her for who she wants to be seen as; Astraea didn't seem to know about what she caused. Hopefully, it'll work out. Turning around, she smiled, "I can do that, sure. As long as it's okay with you, Astraea." She finally agreed, with a small nod.

However, there was another point, reverting her view to Lavinia, "But wait though, I-I don't know where I'm going."

Taiyute pondered the best way to explain the question, "Hmm... I'm thinking like... how you, make magic, without books. The general, I've seen her do so." Even with the tome around her harms, her fingers could be seen fidgeting.

"Small things, I can do... but no spells, unfortunate." A sigh, "But, a Genasi should. It is... unfortunate... an embarrass."

Then a sudden interruption, something foreign in her presence. She shot her view towards the entrance, seeing another human enter the shop. Not anyone she's ever seen before. She turned back over to Erephis, with an intuitive look.

So repairs were off the table then. At least until she could get her claws on whatever metal Requiem was made of, the orc hadn't specified. "I don't even know what this thing's made of. How am I supposed to bring you the material you need, if I don't know that?" Had she assumed that Xalrei had known? If she thought Requiem was hers, which it rightfully was, then that was probably what had happened. "Would you know where I could start looking for whatever metal you need? Like, people to ask or something like that? And," now for the most important question, "how much would it even cost?" Though she had a decent chunk of change she'd managed to build up by herself, the way the woman was talking left Xalrei feeling like it wouldn't be anything close to cheap. Maybe she could try to get more money out of Laselia or Lavinia if it came to it, Requiem was one of Vaia's relics after all...

Edited by Ursali

Ari sure was quick to volunteer Ayane for the first matches, an act the oni herself wasn't sure how to take that. Was she using this as a chance to study her? Well, before she could interject she was approached by a lizardman. 'No backing out it seems...not with my honor on the line that is.' "Very well, Ari. I accept these terms." The one thing Ayane hates is backing down, even in a situation like this. So she turned to the scaled man with a simple nod and took his hand. "Well met, Francis. I am Aya. Onikind usually hail from Nanbu, which is where I'm from." After the shake she withdrew her hand. "And with a foreign race comes a foreign fighting style, I hope not knowing it won't catch you too off guard." That being said Ayane has only seen so much of Vaia's combat arts herself, she was certainly curious to see more though.

Jade nodded along at the beginning, as the fortune-teller covered some basics, her status, that of the party, things of that nature, just getting up to speed. When mention was made of bringing the ruined pistol to the forge, well that had been the zombie's mind as well, so good to know it was actually a recommended course of action. She was heartened to think that she should expect some good advice to come of that interaction, rather then it just ending in a bust, with the smith shrugging their shoulders at seeing mechanical gun parts and having no useful insight.

The mention of white armor, was unexpected. Something of a shock too, considering how the rest of this reading of her present had been unfolding. Who wore white armor? Lavinia's wasn't dyed, just polished metal. Jade thought back, who else wore armor? The dullahan's... was about as far from white as you could get, and nobody else really had anything the merchant thought might qualify, let alone in the warned against color. This must be immediate future, then, but close enough to be classed as present by the magic. Curious.

The powerful sword? Certainly that was Requiem, especially with 'not for you'. It still was a bit disappointing, but lending it to Xalrei had been paying dividends so far, so there wasn't much room for complaint. The light from the crystal began to die down by this point, so Jade was preparing to thank the lamia for her time, and the information. Whether it was worth the coin or not might depend on the dangers clad in white, but she certainly couldn't begrudge that this was genuine effort. Before she spoke, however, the fortune-teller continued. Ah, yes. The complimentary love reading.

Since it was offered for free--and to be honest, just the general nature of such readings anyway, and listening to what had been given to Gabriela--the zombie was prepared for mostly vague and ambivalent language here. Enough to incite some tingly feelings of warmth, stir the heart to beat, and the mind to wander, but not much of real substance. However she was surprised here as well, with the teller going into more detail than she'd expected.

Caera? Jade's head tilted, trying to recall hearing Lavinia referred to by that name. Her curiosity quickly melted into a slightly suffering smile, as the teasing question of whether she wanted to join her love as a vampire, rather than as she was currently. Low-hanging fruit, perfect for a fortune. She had to give her that. Then some slightly conflicting advice. Don't rush in too quickly... but know that a strong offense on her part would open the gates. Just the right amount of ambiguity. They'd surely found the stall of a professional, no doubt about that.

Jade's smile became warmer, happier, as the other woman encouraged her to hold on to her hope, to believe that she was worth finding some sort of happiness with this, and she nodded quietly, not quite trusting her voice. The fortune-teller's final words did spook a slight squeak out of her though. "S-She's still here?" Then calming quickly, "Well, I guess not in the way that's usually meant by that but... huh, so Morwen really did leave something behind then, at the end? Good to know it's nothing malevolent, at least."

Jade closed her eyes, going back over the list of things that had been covered mentally, committing them to memory, so as not to forget or overlook. Then she opened them again and nodded. "This has been useful. And entertaining! Hopefully you're closer to a decision of your own now, Gabriela?" She turned to look at the siren.

Gabriela listened carefully to what the fortune teller had to say. Both her and Ren were holding onto a lot of pain. This is something she could definitely agree with. But the next line is made her a little nervous. ''Getting so close to someone, despite your fear of others' distrust?'' What was that supposed to mean? She didn't elaborate further... it's as if she wanted Gabriela to fill in the answer herself. Was Gabriela getting into something that she did not want to get involved in? Was her new relationship with Ren a mistake? Are they both too mentally damaged to hold together a relationship? A thousand thoughts flooded the mind, with no clear answers reaching the surface. But she could not doubt her choices this early into the relationship, that was not why she was here in the first place. The explanation Jade got seemed no less vague to Gabriela, but Jade seemed content with what she heard. 

After hearing the explanation, Gabby knew what she wanted. While she would like to hear both, robbing Jade was not something on her to-do list. ''Yes Jade... I have decided. Madame fortune teller, please tell me about my past. I need to know what transpired...please.''

Spoiler

Ren held back a wince as Gabriela mentions his family....or lack thereof.  Followed by mention of the conniving fox and his mood had been utterly ruined, but ever the gentleman he keeps face and simply hums behind his fan in thought.  No need for them to notice his frown.  "You're right, but there are some loose ends we need to figure out before everything is adequate.  I doubt the fox is willing to help still, but if you can convince her I'll be surprised and grateful," he offers with a chuckle.

When his cousin leaves, he's now left with the Siren and his thoughts.  "Why, it has been a while hasn't it?" he calls back, his bitterness slowly ebbing away as he listens to her plight.  Ah, she was curious about competition?  Well then... "To tell you the truth, while Erephis is a lovely lady in her own right, we simply share common interests as potential friends," he answers as he flutters his fan.  

"As for partners in the past....I do admit, I've been courted by ladies and men alike before," he admits with a dainty wave of his free hand and a far off tone in his voice.  "Nothing ever evolved beyond light kisses and dating.  I...well, I've never really consummated a relationship before," he then says, a noticeable flush appearing on his pale skin.  "Mere formalities and whatnot...I never thought myself ready for a committed relationship..."

And now, all he has is crushed pieces of what could've been, eyes melancholic at the thought of never seeing familiar faces again.

Gabriela raised an eyebrow at the mention of multiple romantic partners. ''Were they just.. what do they call it... flings? Just some action on the side? I suppose I can relate, though in my case it wasn't exactly for pleasure...'' she suddenly starts inspecting her nails. ''Do you think you would ever be... interested in a committed relationship? It seems some people in this little group are falling in love. I've seen the way Bladen looks at Asami, for example. I just think that... that such a relationship might be different than what we're used to... but a nice change of pace, do you get what I mean?'' As she said that last line, she had a bit of a forlorn look in her face.

He scoffs, then feels regret at such a reaction as he looks at the other with a frown.  "Hardly.  Calling them flings makes them seem insignificant.  I..." he pauses, unsure of whether or not he wants to open up this much to someone other than Ayane.

"...Every person I was with meant something, however small my time with them was," the young man responds after a moment of silence. "A committed relationship..." and at that he clicks his tongue.  He still wanted time to think about it but...

"I have noticed, and all I say to that is the poor lad is unfortunate to lay eyes on a woman such as her."  The contempt in his tone is enough to give Gabriela an idea of how he feels for the fox.

Sighing, he stops avoiding the question and gives her his honest answer.  "I'll admit I am a bit nervous, because of the fact that we're not used to such type of relationship...however," he adds, a rare smile appearing on his lips.

"I wouldn't mind if we explore this together...if you want?"

''I must admit, I don't know what to think of Asami. One moment she is friendly and sweet, and the other, she appears bitter and unfriendly. And let's not forget the amount of things she is most definitely hiding. Just... let's not tell Bladen about this. I don't like Asami much, but I don't want him to hear criticism of hear so blatantly.''

Gabriela felt her cheeks becoming red at the question and smile on Ren's lips. ''R-really? A-are you sure you'd be alright with it.. being with me?'' being unusually flustered at the mention of a relationship is not something she was used to, nor did she ever expect to be nervous at a man asking her to go steady, yet... here we are. ''W-well, if you want to... yes, I accept.'' her smile, for once, seemed genuinely happy.

"Someone should at least warn him not to fully trust her," he says, but leaves it at that.  He isn't the Fallen's caretaker after all.

At her uncertainty, he simply takes her hand into his own two and covers it gently.  "Wouldn't be asking if I was unsure," he chuckles, enjoying seeing her this flustered.  At least they share the same sentiment, the ex-human feeling his heart beat just a bit faster...

When she accepts, he can't help it.  Leaning in he presses his lips against hers.  A chaste kiss, soft and fleeting, pulling away before looking away with a smile and a flushed expression.  

"You...have a lovely smile," he finally says, looking back.  "Hopefully I get to see it more often..."

Upon getting a kiss from dear Ren, Gabriela's heartbeat suddenly accelerated. A kiss filled with love is not one she has received for a very long time. ''It has been over 50 years since I've gotten a kiss like that... and I will definitely come back to collect more later, dearest.'' Gabriela stared at Ren.

''You will definitely see this smile more often.. you have that effect on me.'' she winked. ''Let's save the details for when we have a moment alone though.. it wouldn't do to have your cousin walk back in while we are making out.''

To hear her say that, Ren can't help but smile just a bit wider.

"Hm, you sure are right," he says with a soft laugh, not helping himself as he steals another kiss before pulling away and swiftly getting up.  "Don't need my dear cousin's innocence tainted by such scandalous actions," he teases, offering his hand to help her up as well. 

To her own surprise, she takes it, and Ren's warm hand envelops her own. It feels great, like seeing someone you haven't seen in forever for the first time again. "What a gentleman! I like it. However, my feathers are starting to complain. They feel like they are going to fall off, it's not a good feeling. So I believe i'll roost on top of the wagon, if that is alright with you?"

He nods, still holding her hand while watching the other with a small smile.  "Ah, that doesn't sound good," he comments, his mind half wandering still as he tries to pay attention.  The fluffy feeling in his chest still hasn't let up.

"If it helps alleviate the pain, I don't see why not? Honestly, you don't have to ask me," he trails off, feeling his cheeks flush slightly as he looks away.  "We'll still be seeing each other later..."

''I wouldn't have it any other way, big guy.'' She gives him a quick kiss on the cheek before running off, feeling very happy.

While she did have no qualms about this particular human, Bridgit couldn't help the sudden surprise when he addresses her appropriately.  Or well, not that really...more of just, the pureblood feeling a bit foolish of thinking negatively about Agni.  She really couldn't make her mind up about this, could she?  Still, without being rude she nods in acknowledgement and offers a polite smile.  

It felt nice, being acknowledged-

"Yes, we-" then she stops, because it feels...odd at the moment to refer to herself like this.  "....I-I am planning on buying a couple of rings for her," she offers, voice becoming soft as she fiddles with her fingers in front of her.  At being caught looking at the boots, she snaps her attention at Aithlin with wide eyes. "W-Well...we did not want to impose," and she goes back to her usual royal 'we', feeling the sudden change shift back as a sigh leaves her.

"Will it be enough though?" she asks instead, looking at them both before feeling her cheeks flair up at Aithlin's insinuations between Agni and Taliyah.  

She then looks away, a huff of amusement leaving her but not adding to the conversation.

Ren, thinking he'd be left alone for the rest of his time in the bar, blinks in surprise at the sudden call from the man now leaning next to him.  At the free drink he offers a grin, picking it up and saluting before a laugh left him.  "Didn't plan on it, but glad it worked in my favor," he says, ignoring the first comment till he was ready to process it properly.  After downing half of the new drink, with nary a daze of inebriation, he grins properly this time back at Braksen.

"Oh?  Didn't really come here for more than just a drink, but you won't see me complaining," the ex-human offers, looking on curiously as the other rummages behind the counter looking for something.  Once found, Ren blinks and takes the key from next to him and inspects it.  "Well, if the reward for bringing it to the orc is better than stealing the key for myself, who am I to deny this request?" he muses, then pockets the key for safekeeping.

Foolish to think he was trustworthy, but really Ren didn't plan on making enemies in this town either way.

"I'll bring it to them, don't worry," he reassures, then downs the rest of his drink in one swift motion.  "Also, worry not for how much I drink.  I can handle myself pretty good," and the smirk Ren gives the other is brief before he turns to leave, bird perched on his shoulder as he offers a wave.

Now, to find the orc running the armory.  Hm, he should be fine remembering his way.........

"Hmm, there's quite a few accessories there that might interest Marina. Some rings, a necklace... some residual maic power to boot. I'm sure she'd appreciate at least one aspect of the gifts, with how earnest she is. I think Taliyah was on the right track." Agni vouched with decent confidence, another nod in return to the elf.

"I'll have to admit I think she's going to take better to the jewels, but clothes are something she needs help with as well, no doubt thanks to her former way of life..." Perhaps a bit crass, Agni thought of it at the end of saying that, lowering his voice a bit more, closer to a whisper. "...Either way. Both are very good gifts."

Aithlin followed that up with a rather direct jab at his relationship with Taliyah. Agni wasn't that surprised about it, but... the forwardness of her comments gave him pause. "Offering something such is a bit *too much*, I'm sorry to inform." With a mix of a sigh and a chuckle, Agni confirmed. "I don't mean to take advantage of her, anyways. I do like the thought of clothes for her. Personally, I think a scarf would suit her."

Agni was not dense enough to miss the attraction Taliyah had for him. Still, he felt he shouldn't rush forward into it. She had... more issues to heal, complicated ones, and one they'd inflict on her soon.

Edited by Xinnidy

"Oh... That sort of casting." Erephis wasn't sure how best to let Taiyute down. She couldn't actually perform the sort of magic that was being asked about, but the genasi seemed very embarrassed about being unable to do it either. "Uhm. W-Well. I, er... I can't--"

The door opened, making Erephis flinch, she wasn't expecting more customers-- which was odd, why wouldn't the vendor get more customers during the day? Especially right now, it was the prime time for anything they would sell here. "Er, that, I can't d-do that either, Taiyute... Erm... I can, only cast spells th-through a tome, or a scroll. You should... I'm sure that, Nessraya w-would be willing to help you, i-if you, wanted that." Hopefully that would be enough for her to actually approach the general. Nessraya was perverted, by nature of her race, but she was nice enough when it came to people looking for proper help.

"Hello, sir," the spider greeted their new guest. Erephis couldn't help curious glances towards him... It seemed as though he was human, but she could sense magic. A human mage? Her eyes lit up just a bit, sliding past Erephis. She still kept a few feet of distance from him, she was far from the most social.

"A-Are you a mage?" Probably the weirdest way to ask for introduction, but... "I, uhm, c-could feel your magic. My apologiesssss... I, I haven't sssspoken with a human mage in, a l-long long time..."

"Oh." The orc felt a bit embarrassed for a moment, having forgotten to tell the dragon the ore that she needed. "Orichalcum. Rare metal. Made for weapons like this. Magic weapons. Mmm..." Where to get it and how much to afford it... "Mountains. Khach. Probably... Ten thousand gold. For enough for repairs. This sword..." Hopefully that would be good news, the orc would have loved to work on something like this.

"That fine, bird. Take care of weapon. If change your mind... I'll work on it."

"I... I suppose you're right." Marina was new to all of this, so guiding someone around likely would result in them both getting lost. "Right, right, well, if you're up for taking Astraea to see Erephis to see if she can find anything else out about her own people, I don't mind guiding you. If I know Erephis, she's snuck off towards the nearest magic vendor to see what's for sale. Come along, come along~" Lavinia had no plans otherwise, so guiding Marina and their new add-on wouldn't be that much trouble. She wanted to see Jade, of course, but this was important... Especially considering some of the people in Tepil wouldn't hold back if they discovered Marina's identity. Leaving the discussion room, Lavinia waved for them to follow. "Come along! Come along. I'll make sure you don't get lost."

"You don't gotta be sorry Agni, hahaha! I'm just yanking your chain, you silly boy." Aithlin couldn't stop herself from ruffling his hair a bit, pressing his hat against his head and shaking it around some. "Get her a scarf, then. And Bridgit, you should get her what you think would be nice for her. If it's rings, get her some nice rings~ I'm gonna grab that hat and some clothes, and be just fine." Instead of dawdling any longer, Aithlin stepped away from them to grab said assets, snatching that hat and then spending a moment looking over some clothes for the little lizard. "I didn't miss you eyeing those boots either, Bridgit! Prepare your feet!"

"Ahh... H-Hello." The girl in question stepped over to the group, holding her gifts for Marina in a small bag. "I, g-got what I think she, would like... S... S-So, uhm, if that's all... We, should go--"

"Gotta get stuff for you first, Tali!" Aithlin interrupted her, it seemed she wasn't being quiet enough. The lizard shrunk, blushed, and squirmed a bit.

"F-Fine!" Finally giving up on running away from her gifts, Taliyah shrunk, and tried not to fidget too much.

"Cute." The elf was satisfied with this, snatching a nice shirt off of one of the racks.

"Looking at some of the jewelry, are you?" Tia had walked over after a happy little sale, hands behind her back, smiling at the vampire. "Just tell me what you'd like to see, and I'll unlock the cabinet for you."

"Alright... I'm looking forward to this!"

Francis regretted his words.

Ayane swiftly took care of the militia soldier. Then another, Bill, and another, Zoey! The oni was on a hot streak of combat, unable to be stopped even by the most dedicated and well trained of the fort's soldiers!

But, fatigue strikes all, and a lucky hit from the last of her challengers set her flat on her back.

"Phew!" Louis, the strongest of Francis' squad, had finally managed to stop Ayane with a well placed trip after a faulty swing. "You're crazy strong, lady! Can't believe how well you handled us..."

"Yeah, yeah, talk big after we softened her up for you." Francis was being a bit of a sore loser, but he was still impressed with Ayane's handiwork.

Ari smiled, before taking a moment to clap. "Impressive! I suppose I wouldn't mind going a round against you, Aya." Picking herself up, the white clad knight kept her impressive looking sword sheathed, heading towards the training rack. The weapons were dulled for combat practice, but proper swings would still hurt.

"So long as you're up for it, after all that." Ari struck a pose that would only be familiar to Ayane if she had kept a close eye on how Marina fought...

The fortune teller seemed rather pleased at Jade's appreciation of her words, nodding along with her thinking. It seemed like it was Gabriela's turn, then... And she wanted to know of her past?

"Give me a moment, fair siren..." The light show returned, but a blue, this time. It seemed each color responded to a segment of someone's life. "Your past... Is, heavy... You lost your people when you were young. Your mother... She, hid you... Oh... I-I..." This was terrible. Could she truly reveal this in front of someone else...? She glanced to Jade and then Gabriela, her hidden eyes reading their faces.

"Mmm... Your, mother hid you, to try and save you, Gabriela. The church... This, is a fate worse than death. I feel, at least..." She struggled to continue, shivering a bit. "They were all captured. Except, you... Because of your mother... They..." A small gasp, the orb went dark, the room's regular lights slowly shining again.

"The church took the sirens, and has... Been, brainwashing them, to act as 'angels', for their needs. Some of them, at least... Th-The rest... Have simply agreed to work with them, for their own personal gain... I..." She almost wanted to give the woman her money back. This was too much to see such vivid imagery of...

"Y-Yeah, yeah, your 'nature'..." Amera sighed, heading towards the forge. "I'll do my best." Opening the door to the forge's entrance, Amera caught sight of the two already there... And one of them smelled familiar, amidst the iron and the smoke. "Ohhh... A dragon, huh...?"

Explain Yourself

Amera had made it out of the main fort just in time to see Nessraya hit the ground next to her. "Ugh..." She wasn't exactly in the best of moods, with several reasons for that. The first was the hero, of course. Cozying up to Nessraya and the rest of the force from the castle, giving her sob story to get them to like her... Then there was the deal with Ithraxl, which was less of an immediate threat, and more of a massive thorn in her side, one that she couldn't remove all worry of. And to stop it all off...

"Why do you smell like that sad sack of a hero, anyway?" There were a few distinct odors coming off of the general. A dragon, that fox, and human... Unless there was another human in the group she hadn't been introduced to yet, it could only mean one thing. Amera didn't hold it against Nessraya, she had to 'eat' to live, but... Why did it have to be her?

"I'm going to see how some weapons I ordered are doing... I'm... I'm not in a great mood, so if I snap at you, please don't hold it against me. Really want to punch someone... And I'd rather it not be you."

"That nose of yours really is quite impressive, Amera." Nessraya chuckled, it had been the better part of a week since she had helped Marina with her sleeping troubles, and it wasn't as though she hadn't bathed in the river since then. Well, that was the specialty of beastfolk, after all.

"Believe it or not, my primary aim was helping her sleep. We succubi are quite good at... replacing bad dreams, as you might imagine. She would seem quite a bit sadder, were it not for my intervention, I assure you." Nessraya answered... there was little point in trying to not be truthful, even if it wasn't what Amera would want to hear, Lying would only come back to bite in the end.

"My offer to help with that mood of yours still stands, I hope you realize. If nothing else I'll tag along and make sure that you don't swing at anyone who can't handle you, hmm~?" The General offered, giving Amera an understanding smile. It was easy to tell that Marina's presence was riling her up, on top of everything else, and she couldn't blame the Captain for it.

"You really slept with her then?" Amera's scowl was obvious, trudging on towards the forge. "She didn't deserve you. Not after what she did." Why did they have to make her feel better? Shouldn't she be suffering with what she did? Amera wasn't happy about it, but there wasn't anything to be done. It wasn't like she could make Nessraya un-sleep with the splotch.

"Mrrrh..." She folded her arms and looked away, though Nessraya would likely catch her blushing. "Not right now. It won't help... I'm too stuck on this to jump away to that without letting it rest for a bit. I'll just end up thinking about it... And it'll ruin the mood." She sighed, trying to calm down, at least enough to be around the general.

"At least you won't have to sleep with them anymore..."

"I know it is difficult for you to believe, and I don't blame you for that... but she really isn't as bad as you think. Trying to convince you of that won't help your mood, so I won't. Perhaps after some time has passed, but... she truly does mean to atone, and I hope you'll consider judging her actions going forward as well." Nessraya explained, though she wouldn't take it any further than that for now unless Amera inquired. Snickering a bit at the Captain's blush, Nessraya floated along beside her, gently grabbing her hand and entwining her fingers with Amera's, humming contentedly.

"That's fine, of course~ Take all the time that you need... mmm, don't think I didn't catch that, though. Ambitious, aren't we Amera?"

"Ah..." Amera's flush furthered, it seemed her bad mood was going to be pushed aside no matter how determined she was to stay upset at the 'hero'. "I... Y-You, took my first time, you know? When we were younger... I can only imagine that was your first time, too... S-So..." Amera cleared her throat and sighed, trying to look more serious.

"I worked. Really hard... To reach a position where I might see you again, someday. Here you are... Covered in, the smells of so many other people. I get it. I know what you are... But I'm too stubborn to let all my ambition go to waste. Look, Nessraya... Just--"

Amera cut herself off and gave the general's hand a hard tug, pulling the floating woman into a hug. "I love you." The words wouldn't mean much, by themselves. "I have for several decades, now. A part of me thought that I'd never see you again, and I know... I-I know that love isn't something that comes easily, to your species. It's how you're wired. I can't just give up, though... So no matter what it takes, I'm going to get you to love me, too. Only... Me. Even if that's hard. Even if it's selfish... I-I've got dragon blood in me, I have to have enough magic for someone like you." Nessraya was only half succubus, after all... Her thirst had to be, just a bit smaller than normal. Right?

"Well I would hope so, at our ages back then." Nessraya quipped, though she stopped to allow Amera to say her piece. It wasn't an overly surprising confession, given that just earlier that day Amera had launched herself into Nessraya with more force than a piece of Tepel's siege weaponry.

"I really was surprised to see you here, Amera. All the way down in Tepel, and leading the garrison, no less." She began, letting herself be pulled into a tight embrace, using her free hand to tenderly pet between Amera's ears. 

"You've done a wonderful job. Really. I'm incredibly impressed... and I have no doubt that you will give my nature a run for it's money. I look forward to your attempts... if anyone has the pure drive to pull it off, I'm sure it's you." She continued, a genuine smile adorning her face as she leaned in and kissed Amera on the forehead, letting her lips linger softly for a few moments.

"Do you now? I did remember you tasting rather spicy... I suppose I never connected the dots. It really has been a long time, hasn't it?" Nessraya quipped further as she pulled her lips off of Amera, a cheeky grin resting on her face as a small giggle escaped her lips.

"... Too long..." Amera wasn't one to bare her heart like this, getting more and more embarrassed until she couldn't take it anymore, letting go of Nessraya and taking a few steps away from her. "I, I'll, make you love me! No matter what! And, I, I can satisfy you, I know that I can... S-So... So just... W, Watch out, Nessraya!" That felt more like a threat than a promise, and it made her feel silly on top of being embarrassed, so she turned to storm off towards the forge. All those years apart from the general hadn't given her much more maturity...

Falling in love would certainly be an exotic concept, so Nessraya couldn't help but feel intrigued. It wasn't as though she wasn't curious about the feeling, after all. Amera stormed off, Nessraya floating after her with an amused grin adorning her face.

"Oh I'll certainly watch, Amera. With bated breath... and quite happily, if you keep showing me such alluring angles~" The General teased, a low whistle leaving her lips. There was nothing quite like a fighter's toned backside, after all.

"I already know I have your lust wrapped around my finger. I want the rest... So keep looking, if it makes you happy, but I'm going to get you to see a whole lot more of me, not just my body!" It was oddly frustrating to have Nessraya to focused on her butt, but she didn't hate it, more like, she felt the general was missing the point of everything by immediately going there... It was at least nice tom know that she still cared, in that way. No hero or dragon was going to take her away!

"As I said, Amera, I look forward to your efforts. I would quite like to experience falling in love, I think. I do hope you'll forgive my nature in the interim~" Nessraya teased, following along after Amera. If nothing else, life was certain to get quite the bit more lively with the energetic cat in the picture.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Ayane's eyes rolled toward Ari as she approached, she was a little disappointed she couldn't see that sword out of it's sheathe but something told her that it was best kept where it was in a practice bout. With not much time to think on that however Ari had taken her stance, and she quickly realized it was the same as Marina's. 'How interesting...' "May our fight be fair." With her own stance taken she had taken the initiative and rushed in toward Ari with a quick swing.

"Fast--" Ari didn't have time to comment on the oni's words, taken back by how quickly her strike was. An attempt to side step didn't make it in time, the dulled sword colliding with her shoulder, taking her off balance. "Hrgh!" A heavy swing in return missed the mark, but gave her the space to regain her stability. "Strong and fast! How interesting! I didn't think any of Vaia's monsters would give me this much trouble... But you're not from Vaia, are you? Nanbu, was it?" Ari was smiling wide, whether it was accompanied by anger or amusement was anyone's guess. She took up stance again, watching Ayane like a hawk. 

"Come at me again... But I promise, you won't get the same results twice."

"That it was." She returned the question with an answer. "I must admit fighting people from Vaia has been quite an experience, you're very good yourself." With her stance regained the oni lunged in again. But was surprised to find her next swing had missed. Was she getting used to Ayane's speed already?

"I said it won't work twice!" Expecting such speed now, Ari dodged on time, bringing the flat of the blade down against Ayane. Perhaps disrespectful to use a sword like a club in a proper duel, even with the dulled edges, the knight was afraid a swing with her strength would've cut the girl in half, worn weapons or not... 

It crashed into Ayane's arm, sending her rolling a good several feet away. Ari was already up and ready for another swing, though it was clear that while she was strong, her armor wasn't making her invincible. Ayane's swing to her shoulder had done plenty, said arm limply hanging now, as she did her best to focus. "I know that's not enough to take you out... Come on!"

"!" The brutal blow upon her arm was enough to get a small yelp from the princess as she rolled off. She was quick, but her stature wasn't the best. That being said she wasn't one to give up right away. She got back on her feet and took a small huff. "Hm...only took one attack for you to read me. I'm impressed." She tightly gripped the practice blade. "Then I'll be sure to make this one the last attack."

With one more huff Ayane rushed in again. But this time she started to dart across the ring, an attempt to confuse Ari with some kind of curveball of an attack. And attack she did! A wide swing from Ari's right side, straight into her shoulder.

The oni wouldn't be able to confuse Ari with such movements... But going for the right side again--! "Damn--" With her arm already damaged, turning quick enough to get a proper block in was impossible. Though Ayane's swing was wide, it was backed by her monstrous strength, enough to knock Ari's half-block back and send her down to one knee. "Ahh... H-Hahaha... Should've brought my shield." Planting the training sword into the ground and struggling to bring her limp arm up, Ari started clapping, as best as gauntlets could.

"Wonderful! Miss Aya the oni from Nanbu, wonderful. I didn't think I'd find someone this skilled in my travels, but I am delighted to be proven wrong."

Ayane took a brief breath. She had won, but only just. "You are...quite strong Ari." She took a slight bow in respect. After she rose she gave off a small smile, a rare genuine smile only Ren knows of in the group. "I learned quite a bit from our fight, and I can tell you're quite experienced. Thank you."

The onlookers from the militia were rather stumped. They'd considered themselves strong, and most didn't notice, but a few had realized that when Ari swung her sword, she'd used the flat of it, and even that much had sent the girl sprawling. "Just who is that knight...?" Louis was rather confused, looking on at the two of them with worry and curiosity. "I can feel magic from her... It isn't human, but..."

"That's quite a wonderful smile. Hopefully not the only one I can put on your face while we go about the town, hmm?" Ari kindly returned the sword to the training rack, giving a bow towards Ayane, then towards the militia members. "My sincerest gratitude for allowing us to intrude upon your training, fine knights of Tepel. It has been a pleasure."

"N-Not at all! It was good fighting the oni lady... And, for getting to see, that bout." Francis spoke up for the rest of them, smiling, awkwardly, as he was still lost on how most of that fight had occurred. 

"That's good, then... Ayane, shall we take ourselves somewhere else? You've been quite the 'guide', so far."

"...ah, is it?" Ayane was caught off guard with that comment, and the wonderful smile quickly evaporated into surprise. '...just take the complement.' "Mm, thank you...yes..." Obviously she wasn't used to hearing that outside of Ren and Yukari, it has been a while since she dealt with it as well. "Yes, I still have plenty of time. Let us go." She turned to the guards and took one last bow of gratitude. After she returned the sword she had turned back to Ari to continue the rest of the tour.

Marina nodded along with Lavinia's words. Thankfully, she understood. Marina didn't want to be alone-- well, even with Astraea, who didn't know really where she was, it still felt nerve-wracking being here without any real guidance.

Lavinia started walking away, leading the way for them. Marina took Astraea's hand. "Come on, then. We can't keep her waiting, right?"

Gabriela's reading got really heavy, really quickly, and it was hard to tell for certain with the veil in the way, but during one of the pauses Jade was getting the impression the fortune-teller was hoping she would leave the room and let the reading continue one-on-one. If she had held out another maybe ten seconds, the zombie would have known for certain, and given the privacy that was apparently needed, but just before she was about to move, the lamia continued, unimpeded. So Jade simply awkwardly shifted her weight, and then, deciding it was needed as the truth came out, she slipped her hand around one of Gabby's and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"What sort god..." she softly mumbled, turning to look at the siren's face and see how she was taking the news. As she did so, a twinkling elsewhere in the hut caught her eye. Now was not the time, though. The merchant would raise that issue only after this current one had been fully resolved, even if that meant only the briefest of questions just before they had to leave.

Tracing back his steps, Ren lets out a soft whistling tune as he makes his way towards the armory.  He's been lucky enough to not bump into the others, and luck is still on his side as he reaches his destination and makes his presence known to the one in charge of the place.  "Hello?" he calls out, already bringing out the key as he waits patiently for a response.  "I was told to bring this key to the orc in the armory..." he then adds, his free hand gently petting Ukogi as the bird rests against his shoulder and waits as well.

Edited by sweet podado

While the veil of the Lamia was blocking most of her face, it didn't take a microscope to see that even she was shocked by what was revealed. To think a fortune teller would answer the question that has been on Gabriela's mind the entire time. While listening very intently, Gabriela dare not speak a word. All she could do was stare horrified at the fortune teller who told the terrifying tale of the truth behind her clan. Jade was clearly shocked as well, and she comforted Gaby while she couldn't do anything but listen. ''W-what... you mean.... all this time...they protected me?'' Gabriela's gaze went down, and a tear started forming. ''Angels.... what sort of sick nonsense is that..? H-how dare they.... the church....'' as she continued the sentence, the tear evolved into full-on waterworks, as she dove in Jade's arms, crying softly. ''Why...why them? W-why not me?''

“Ah… yes, I am.” It was a bit of an odd first impression from the lamia, but she didn’t seem to share the human-hating tendencies of some other Vaians, so he didn’t mind.  “You must be one as well, then, if you can sense it. I’m Seilan. I’ve… been around here for a little while, but I haven’t been able to visit the shops around yet, so I’m only just taking a look now…”

Looking around the store, it was a safe enough assumption that the spider tending the store was a Tepel local, though the lamia as well as the… blue woman…? in the store stood out enough that he’d have seen them before during this past week if they were also locals. They must have been part of the general’s group; it seemed that today was certainly a day for first encounters with unfamiliar faces.

“If you’d like, I wouldn’t mind discussing magic with you at all. It’s been a good while since I’ve had a chance to.”