Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"I-- Wha..." Xalrei was unable to hide her shock. Ten thousand gold!? Even if she'd saved everything she'd earned for this expedition so far, she'd still be short over half of it. And that was without even acquiring the ore in the first place; who knew how much it would cost to get a large enough lump of it to fix Requiem with. Actually, if it costs this much to repair it, how much is a complete Reqieum even worth...? An idle thought, but an important one regardless. As far as the dragonewt was aware, Jade had yet to be paid for finding it in the middle of nowhere and now that was one of her responsibilities too. Eventually.

"I, I see..." Xalrei managed after a moment, finally getting her thoughts into some semblance of organized. "Even if I somehow managed to find the orichalcum while were here, I don't have that much on me right now. I guess, I'll keep you in mind if both of those things happen to fall into my lap sooner than later? Kinda doubt I'd be that lucky, though..." Returning Requiem to it's sheath, she nodded at Bladen. This was a bust for both of them, time to--

'Ohhh... A dragon, huh...' Turning towards the sound of the voice, Xalrei found herself facing an unknown beastwoman with Nessraya right behind her. Did they know each other? "Wh-- Did you want something...?"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, caught!  At Aithlin's comment about the boots her expression changes, quickly looking away from them to hide just how flustered this makes her.  Ignoring her companions, she keeps her attention now at the shopkeeper and nods.  "Y-Yes! Ah..." clearing her throat she composes herself.  "Yes well, if possible, may we look at the rings?" she asks, waiting patiently for the other to open the display holding them.

"Hah... Well, I've got to keep my class, Aithlin." Agni shook his head, sighing as she began patting him. He wasn't that short. "It's part of my job, after all." Regardless, heeding her suggestion and following on his hunch to pick a scarf, Agni took to look for a selection...

Ah, that dark blue was a nice shade, it'd compliment Taliyah's natural hues well.

...And speaking of her. "Taliyah? How did it go?" Agni's attention quickly turned, "You didn't spend too much of your own money, did you?" He paused, once more catching himself being overbearing. "...I'm sure it'll be a fine gift. Marina will definitely appreciate it."

It certainly seemed like this had been a bust for the both of them. Turning towards Xal, wincing at the cost quoted to fix the sword, he was about try and say something encouraging, maybe something about how at least the sword seemed to be repairing itself slowly, but was interrupted by the door to the shop opening. The General showed up, surprisingly, along with someone he believed to be the woman that had greeted them originally. He hadn't gotten that good of a look at her since it had been from a distance, but she matched what he remembered. And it would fit with her still being with the General, given the enthusiastic greeting.

He positioned himself slightly behind Xal, not hiding, more backing her up slightly. He didn't expect a fight, not with her seeming to be an ally, but given the opening comment, it still felt right. "Good to see you, General. Would you mind introducing us to your friend here?" Hopefully Xal hadn't taken offense...

------------------------------------------------------------

Astraea flinched slightly when the human, Marina, took her hand, not expecting it. Still, it was... Nice? Not hot like her life had been before she fell and certainly not cold like the cosmos. Just somehow in the middle. She hadn't ever really experienced this sensation before she had arrived here, but it was almost comforting in a way. A compromise between the two extremes of her former life. She smiled down at the smaller girl, glad for something of a comfort in all of this. 

"Yes, I will come along. But you must tell me more as we go. How do you know so much more of my people if thou are, as thou said, similar to me and not from here? I know you are not one of my kind. You do not have the power of the cosmos in you, like I do, but you have words thine head for me. I wish to learn more of thine words, of your knowledge."

Nessraya couldn't help but chuckle at Amera's initial reaction when they entered the forge. It seemed those dominos were being knocked over one by one, with Xalrei being in the forge when they arrived. Still, probably best to diffuse things a little bit...

"Ah, Xalrei, Bladen. This is Amera, she's the Captain of the City's Garrison, and an old friend of mine. Don't mind her comment too much... we were just catching up, and she recognized your scent on me. Honestly, you can't hide anything from beastfolk~" The General noted, deciding that Xalrei was in no need to be spared a small bit of teasing, floating into the forge past the doorway and giving the dragonewt a quick wink as she did so.

Taiyute nodded, near-disappointedly. She wasn't totally upset that Erephis didn't know. It was perfectly fine. She inched a tad closer to the snake and gave a part of her body a pat.

"It is fine perfectly, Miss Erephis. The general is my next person to ask. I'm grateful either way." After that, her attention went back to the new individual. After Erephis' awkward attempt to introduce herself, Taiyute followed with some more pats, trying to ease down the snake as the human introduced himself.

"Greetings, Seilan," and the genasi followed with a small bow. She could also feel the individual's magical prowess. It would be interesting. He did give an idea though, he didn't seem like he was a natural user, like she should've been. However, perhaps, instead of just learning, they could make good practice. "Thank you, if time is well for us, I would enjoy some magic discussion."

Marina couldn't help but manage a smile back at the celestial. It was... admittedly nice, knowing someone who in some way was dependent on her.

Questions started, about her again. As they walked, she did her best to answer, "Hmm, well..." She started, "The best way to explain, I'm from a completely different world than here. Not like, spa-- the cosmos, or like, the elemental world, but like... a place with only humans. We know about all sorts of beings because our world writes about them. Vampires, celestials, etcetera etcetera. They're not... 'real' in our world, but we have many interpretations and retellings of classical characters based on what we know... or, understand I suppose. Since here, some things are different."

Marina guessed an example wouldn't hurt, "Like, Lavinia. She's a vampire. From what I know, she has most of the traits vampires are famous for in my world. There's some others, like turning into a bat," which Lavinia hasn't shown to do or not, "or not being allowed to walk into another's home without permission. But there's bound to be some inaccuracy somewhere." She gave a small shrug.

"Celestials... are weird. Sometimes celestials are treated as just some kind of diety. Other times, they're just beings that live up above," Pointing upward, "We call it space. But not because it's empty or anything. It's just.. the term we use." Her rambling went on for a bit, hopefully Astraea caught onto most of it. She was aware a bit that she may have needed help explaining things.

Some things probably also flew over Lavinia's head too...

An orc, sitting in the corner of the armory, as still as a suit of armor on a stand, slowly animated as Ren called out towards him. "Oh. Hello... Customer. Yes... Key, from Braksen. Thank you..." Upon his counter he set a small needle, even smaller next to his large, green hand, and what could only be attempts at sewing a pattern into a handkerchief. Looking rather downtrodden, he stood up to his full eight feet of stature and held his hand out, trying his best to hold back his frustrations. Not towards Ren, of course. "Braksen, give you reward, for this. Go back to him... And... Tell him, Trevon has his key." A quick glance at the needle and sewing materials elicited a grumble and a sigh, as Trevon found himself unable to hide his feelings completely. "Apologies. Bad mood... Not good for customer."

The fortune teller had no real way of providing an answer for Gabriela. This sort of news, no one could possibly take it well. She simply looked away from the two of them, trying to find the words that would help the situation... There were none, really. All she could do was expound on her powers. "I... I am sorry, Gabriela. All I can do is look into you... I can't, answer why only you were saved by your mother, I... I cannot see that far." Truthfully... She was afraid to try looking again. Something she hadn't relayed towards the ladies was the presence of an odd looking clergyman in her visions... The terrifying part, was that it was as though he was looking right at her. Impossible, for someone in the past to be staring into the future, unless magic beyond her was at work. Fear settling in properly, she shrunk, looking down. "My... Sincerest apologies."

Leaving the barracks behind, Ari couldn't help but continue to smile over at Ayane as they walked. Perhaps to the oni's annoyance, but she wasn't about to stop, she was far too impressed and enamored with the girl's performance. "I was hoping we could turn towards the armory or the forge next, Aya. I did have a question about your weapon, though... I know we used training weapons for that exercise, but the sword at your waist is clearly not one of Vaia... Let alone Xensat. Nanbu... What kind of weapon is it, exactly?" From all she could tell of the sheath it was a curved blade, but not severely, like some she had seen in Hwein. Did that mean it also had only one blade? What an odd design... Perhaps Ayane can shed some light on why some would like to use a weapon like that.

Amera simply growled and let Nessraya deal with the introductions, scowling down Xalrei the entire time as she walked up to the counter. "Vanessa, give me an update on my gauntlets."

"Dealing with, other customers. You, barging in. Very rude. Bad habit. Need to--"

"Fine." Amera turned away from the orc and rested herself against the least cluttered part of the forge's wall. "Pleasure to meet you Bladen... And Xalrei." It was hard to hide her ire, but she at least knew that it was far from mature. Letting her scowl off of the poor dragon, Amera huffed, sighed, and looked away. "Sorry for interrupting whatever business you had with Vanessa. I'll wait my turn."

"Mmm... Dragon. Xalrei, yes? If you, cannot afford... Mountains. North of Tsetsa. Near Sevrei. Maybe, mine your own. Cost was, to buy. If you, bring your own... I forge, no extra cost." Vanessa could very likely make her own small bit of money with whatever metal was left from the forging and repairing process, and getting to handle such a precious material would be worth its own cost in the practice it would give her. "If that all... Any other questions?"

"Hyah!?" Erephis hadn't been expecting pats anywhere on her person, yelping and flinching as Taiyute did her best to provide some calm. It was unfortunate for her that Erephis was far from normal with regards to contact, slowly shuffling away from the both of them, just enough to create some space. "Uhm... Th-Then, if, I may..." Slowly she started to close the gap again, perhaps unconsciously, but she was still a bit wary of the genasi. "Y-Your magic feels, uhm... Odd. L-Like... Ohh, I'm being rude, a-aren't I...?" Erephis tried her best to pause and collect herself, figuring out how to word things properly.

"F-Feels unique! For, a human-- Ahh! Th-That's, rude too... Hhnnn... I, I'm, just interested in how that, works. Your... Magic..." Curling her tail up beneath her, Erephis shrunk, realizing how silly she must've sounded.

"Hwah? I, it went well. I don't think I spent t-too much... But, thank you for worrying." Taliyah smiled up at Agni, holding her purchase. "I hope she does too." Giving a friend a gift for the first time, she could only hope that Marina would like it. "What are you guys doing, th-then?"

"Getting you gifts!" Aithlin called over.

"Ah! Wh-Whhh... R... Right..." Tali could only resign herself to her fate and shrink in waiting.

"Here, little miss," Tia started, opening the display cabinet for Bridgit to look inside. There were several rings and necklaces sitting in it, some made of silver, gold, perhaps copper with cold coating rather than pure gold. Definitely pretty little accessories for someone to adorn their neck and hand with. One ring in particular had a rather fancy amethyst set in it, square, a bit small, but certainly well cut. "Does anything strike your eye?"

"Marina, I've told you, we can't turn into bats... Pure bloods can produce wings that, I do suppose would resemble those of a bat's, and fly, but as far as complete transformation..." Alongside this, needing permission to enter a building... For the sake of courtesy it was always best to get someone's permission to enter their premises, but requiring it? Lavinia had never heard something so odd. Human stories in Marina's world were so fantastical, Lavinia didn't know how to approach asking questions about them. Why would anyone ever start something so farcical...?

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Recognized my scent...?" For a split second Xalrei didn't know what Nessraya was alluding to, but quickly clued in when she considered why or how it would've been on Nessraya in the first place. A crimson blush quickly took to her face as she glanced aside and mumbled something incomprehensible under her breath about a 'stupid succubus'. She could feel the cat's gaze on her back, or at least it felt that way with how hard she was being stared at when she turned to look at Amera. "What's your problem? She's the one who came onto me..." Was her hostility really over her sleeping with Nessraya? All she'd wanted was an easy way out of her nightmares and Nessraya had been more than happy to provide, as long as she could 'feed'...

At least the lady orc was able to get the cat to back off before anything got too heated, from either party. Grumbling and sighing, Amera wasn't going to let this go, Xalrei turned back towards the smith. "O, Oh. I guess that's a lot more affordable than I thought it'd be... I guess, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not really sure how viable coming back will be, even if I get the ore. I don't know where our group is going, after we deal with the rebellion..." It was nice to have the option if the opportunity ever arose, however unlikely it was. 

"I guess we're both done here then, Bladen?" It was probably time to head out, before Amera found reason to get mad at her for holding her up. Assuming Bladen would agree with her, Xalrei began to head out of the smithy.

Astraea wasn't exactly more confused than she had been before, but rather her confusion was focused on a new target. Distracted from her own fate, she instead considered the new information placed in front of her. "From another place... This world is the one I know, I see it in my dreams. But from another world, that is something new. I cannot doubt thine story, for I cannot see it being less believable than mine. But still interesting to hear. My people are not gods, though perhaps in your world it is different. I would like to hear more of your world some day. To hear of a world so different from the world of my dreams, that would be a wonderful distraction. If thou does not mind." Something to take her mind off of her loneliness... Yes, this would serve that purpose, hopefully.

So that was what this was all about. Bladen suddenly became very interested in anything but the dragon and beastkin, staring around the shop, doing his best to pretend the tension in the room was suddenly gone. Thankfully, although the tension was still thick enough to almost feel, Xalrei's business seemed to have been settled. A potential hope had been promised, so that was good at least. He nodded; nothing to keep him here after all. "Yes, yes, no more reason to stick around here. I guess we'll go mosey around some of the other shops!" Mosey around? Come on, you don't talk like that, you idiot. Could you be more obvious that you're uncomfortable? He shut his eyes for a few seconds, embarrassed at himself, and then opened them back up. "Err, nice to meet you Captain, good seeing you General, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you both soon enough." And with that, he followed Xal out of the shop.

Seilan couldn’t help smiling a little as she fumbled her way through her words. Her curiosity seemed well-intentioned enough, after all. “It’s true – my magic is a bit different than most tome-based casting that you might find out there. I can show you what it’s like later, but we’d need more space… ah, hmm…” Pulling his tome from his cloak and taking a short step closer, he flipped it open and offered it to her. “In the meantime, you can look at this. The incantations shape thunder a little differently than the way it’s usually taught… er, wait, how familiar are you with anima magic?”

He laughed awkwardly a little at his (possible) slip-up; maybe he’d been a little too enthusiastic as well. The others from Hwein hadn’t exactly been interested in magical studies, so perhaps a want to have a good talk with someone who understood things from the same perspective had been building up…

Marina gave a confused eye to Lavinia, she doesn't remember being told at all about the bat thing. But it didn't surprise her, as she hadn't done it. Though, knowing purebloods can at least grow wings was an interesting thing to learn. Though she expected Lavinia was just confused at all the things Marina was spewing, so she followed up with a new comment.

"Dracula was a weird thing that happened. One day, I can tell you about that." She gave a small, goofy smile.

Returning her attention back to Astraea, it was weird seeing almost a polar opposite take on Lavinia's confusion. Astraea was interested, "U-Uh... sure. When we have time, I can tell you what I can," and she ended that comment with a smile.

Taiyute reverted her hand back to her person, she shouldn't have been so touchy with the snake woman. There wasn't a comment made, but it was melded into her mind. Now, she reverted back to Seilan, who offered to loan her his tome.

"I am... aware, of many magics. Wind though, is my best magics. Mostly... I need help learning how to naturally magics. But... if you can still help teach me more magics, I would be grateful. M-Many thankings, sir..." She bowed.

Brittle Hearts, Mending Bonds

Camp had been set, and the group had went off to their own activities for the day. Marina took a look out, the first time they've stopped at a spot with such a nice clearing. It was a good time, Marina had pulled out the blanket she had to go with her tent, it was the best she had at that moment. Leaving her jacket in the tent, she found a good spot, a bit a ways from the rest of the camp. Setting down the belt with her weapons and her pack, she laid out the blanket on the ground.

Finally, she sat down onto the blanket, laying backwards, facing the sun. She absorbed what she could, both the atmosphere and the sunlight. This would've been the perfect time to just write, to feel a bit more of the relief that they have dodged fighting as long as they had. As opposed to that, she just... felt her mind start to drift off as she stretched out on her little spot.

Not feeling the energy to spar with his cousin today, Ren decides to wander around for the first time since joining this little entourage.  

He felt stiff, his body tired from the nightmares still plaguing his mind.  It's a bit harder to put on a smile, the mask slipping whenever he felt his mind wander too far.  Not wanting to worry or bother Ayane, he moves farther away from where she is as he tries to find a nice place to sit and just...be.

Funnily enough, his feet ended up carrying him to where the Hero has made her little lookout.  Taking out his fan, he hides the lack of smile behind it as he pauses in front of Marina.

"I hope I'm not intruding," the hu- oni calls out, his tone light and inviting.  Hopefully he's convincing enough for the girl; he rather not ruin her day with his own worries.

Marina almost slipped, even if she didn't really want, a nap would've been nice. Even if only for a few minutes, or--

The thought slipped away, as she popped awake, directing her eyes to... Ren. Covering his face. Marina scooted over a tiny bit, Ren was welcome if he wanted.

"Good evening Ren. You're fine. Please, take a seat if you want. I'm just... thinking." She was on her way to sleep, but realistically, she was thinking on things. Maybe they could continue talking a bit more from their conversation before.

Marina wasn't unaware though, Ren had his face covered, but his eyes told her everything that she needed to know. They were too similar to her. "Are you alright?" She simply asked, hoping she wouldn't be prodding too much. 

He didn't want to impose, but he also didn't want to brush off her offer.  Another soft sigh left him as he made himself comfortable on the spot next to Marina.

"Thinking?  Anything interesting on your mind?" he asks, his posture practiced and face angled to where the bottom half is still hidden from her.  He still felt tense, tired, but attentive to her words if need be.

He blinks in subtle surprise at her question though, and simply looks at Marina for a moment before shifting and turning as the ex-human thought of a proper response.  "Nothing that isn't...manageable," he finally says, letting himself lean against the tree.

Marina had a light smile as Ren sat down. She was looking up, into the sky, her face's smile lowering a bit as she was back on the thinking part of it. Looking at Ren, listening, she noticed the way Ren spoke about what he's feeling. A bit of a stronger frown formed, but...

"S-Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," She apologized, going back to her, answering his question,

"For thinking, it's mostly just... thinking about home. Just things there... things here," A small sigh, "Missing things is all. It was a good day to just lay and take some r and r."

"No need to apologize.  Unlike in this country, you didn't have a hand in ending mine," he says on a whim, before feeling his shoulders tense at such a flippant response.

"Ah, now it's my turn to apologize.  I'm not really a people person when I'm like this."

Still, at the mention of home, he feels his chest turn just a bit tighter.  Just a bit colder.

"I understand.  It's one of the things that's been plaguing me ever since I left home," he responds, letting his fan rest on his chin as he leans his head back and closes his eyes.  "I should apologize again then, for ruining your small respite."

Yet he stays anyway, because facing anyone else at the moment will probably cause more problems than they're worth.

The shock in Marina's face was apparent on the admittedly rude remark Ren made about her, but she shook it off, it wasn't like he was purposefully trying to hurt her.

Soon, she sat back up as she listened to Ren speak. Much like her, he also missed his home, but their situations were very different. Marina was taken summoned away from hers, with a potential chance she could never go back. However, Ren had lost people close to him. So similar, yet so different...

"Don't worry, I'm not normally a people person... at all," Looking up at the oni, the only thing Marina could really do was wrap her arms around the oni, giving him a hug. Hopefully she wouldn't be pushed away.

"...No, I'm sorry for bringing up bad memories for you..." She gave a small laugh, maybe he'd find a bit of humor in what's happening, "If we keep this up, we might just end up apologizing to each other over and over again,"

At her words he lets out a sharp laugh in surprise.  "Quite the contradiction for someone who's led armies-" but he suddenly quiets when he feels someone hug him from the side.

Looking down, his eyes stay just a tad wide as the ex-human tries to process what's going on.  Hesitant, Ren's first thought is to push the girl away.  He didn't need someone else's pity, and didn't deserve someone's sympathy.  The sudden contact made him nervous and just a tad fearful.  

But then she speaks, and his nerves calm down as he feels a twitch in his arms before returning the hug instead.  "Hm, I have done that once before," was his simple reply, letting out a chuckle at the memory.  "He and I kept on apologizing until a mutual friend grew tired and pushed me into the other," he explains, not helping the grin on his lips now.

His fan, forgotten to his side.

Marina's eyes closed as she imagine the story Ren told to her. It was nice hearing stories like these from other people, as opposed to imagining it in a book she read, or a movie she was watched. It reminded her too much of her, and not really clicking with anyone.

Her smile faded briefly, "I don't have anyone like that, really. At least, I don't really know if I do? Really the only friends I've ever had are people from here. It's just be me, mom and dad, and some hobbies I liked doing."

Embracing the hug a bit more, Marina's face was a bit more neutral than it was sad, "Shame that too many of those hobbies are also a bit harder to do here too," and she reverted back to a small chuckle.

"Well, need I remind you the people I talk about are dead and gone?" he points out, arching a brow but not letting go.

He pauses, merely listening now as he closes his eyes once more.  "Hm, that's not such a bad thing though.  Friends are friends, no matter where you make them," he responds with a lazy wave of his free hand.  At the mention of hobbies, he hums in confirmation but keeps his eyes closed.

"And what, pray tell, did those hobbies amount to?  You have an oni's curiosity now," he replies cheekily, waiting for an answer.

Marina wasn't quite sure on how to respond on the first statement. Whether he was saying once again to be witty, or if he was serious, Marina was well on her way to apologizing again, but she retracted, only acknowledging with a small nod. 

Hopefully, Marina's segway into another topic would keep them out of the glumness of talking about their families and his companions. Hobbies, Marina was good with. 

"Well, I told you a bit before about comics and movies. Books are fun too, which I suppose I could help that better than other things. Um... I used to play baseball a lot, uh... A sport I can go into later if you're interested in it." A smile developed again, she was into the conversation almost a hundred percent. 

"My dad got me into building model kits. Um, they're like tiny figures you put together piece by piece from a series about... Uh, giant machines called robots. My dad was big on those; I wasn't, but building stuff like that made good hand-eye coordination. Also they looked cool." Her smile was beaming, it was nice to reminisce. 

"I rambled on a bit there, I hope that's fine."

He lets the girl's ramblings wash over him like a blanket, humming here and there to signify that he's still listening.  Once she started to explain these "robots", he opens one eye and then snorts lightly at how enthusiastic she sounds.

"More than fine.  Your...robots?  They remind me of karakuri puppets," he explains, now his turn to ramble on.  "There are three types," he says while bringing up three fingers.  "Stage karakuri, which are used in plays and theatre in general.  Their usage is for the general entertainment of the public; I do remember being fond of such outings..."

"Next you have the general home karakuri puppets, which are mostly used as tea serving puppets as well as private enjoyment of the family owning them.  I remember we had several at home; my mother really enjoyed them," he continues without missing a beat.

"And finally you have the festival karakuri, often used during festivals of course," he says with a chuckle.  "Their main use is to reenact traditional myths and legends.  They were usually cared for at the temples, and brought out only for said occasions..."

He pauses, feeling a melancholic ache in his chest as memories resurfaced.  "One day, once I'm able to go home, I'll bring you one.  How does that sound?" he asks, looking over at Marina now.

"Not the same as your own, but..." and he leaves it at that, feeling rather tired now as he closes his eyes.  Remembering such things did take a toll out of him lately...

Marina's eyes were closed as she imagined. "We have karakuri like those in my world, actually. Sort of... they might be different, but there's a whole country a lot like Nanbu, from what I see of you two. I never got to see it, but I'd like to." A warm smile, nestling herself closer to Ren as she got more tired.

She noticed the look in his eyes, and his tired demeanor. She hoped that she'd be able to ask too...

"What kind of hobbies are you into?" She asked, with a piqued curiosity.

"Mm, then instead of bringing you something back you can just come visit once all of this is over," he offers, letting out a soft chuckle. 

At her question he hums, waiting a moment before answering.  "Dancing, writing, playing music, singing...training of course, but fighting is all Ayane's thing," he offers with a small huff of amusement.  "I took more after my mother...she taught me all I knew..." he drifts, feeling himself become drowsy as he recounts his memories.

Marina nodded along to Ren's words. A doll, even if one only for special occasions, sounded nice to have. Even if for a bit... she did feel a bit for him, hearing him reminisce, it was clear how much he missed his family.

She did give a small laugh at his comment about Ayane, it got her just perked up enough, "Ren, if we're able, would you be able to teach me how to play something?" she asked, looking up at the oni. "I... I need something to help occupy my mind, and, hm, I--" Should she really say it considering their situation? His situation? Hers, even?

"I guess, I wanna feel like, there's something I can be good at, aside from just fighting..."

At her words, Ren felt his hold become slightly firmer.  A minute shift, maybe Marina didn't even feel it...

"I," he starts, cutting off her train of thought.  "would be honored in helping you," he finishes, feeling something ache and shift in his chest before settling down once more.  

"I do wonder though, what type of instrument will find affinity within our little hero," he teases, a grin suddenly appearing as he looks down at the girl.  "I'm sure we'll find something~."

Not once did he mention or acknowledge her fighting comments.

Marina had a beaming smile, as she looked back up at the oni. To think he really was so nice, so kind enough to teach her how to play an instrument. He didn't have to, and that made her grateful.

"Thank you Ren, so much..." That tired feeling kicked in, fiercer. She was comforted, felt safe with Ren. It was similar to when she was with Lavinia.

"You're so, nice Ren... so n-nice..." Her voice got quieter and quieter. Soon, there was a combination of quiet snoring and small breaths from where she was sitting.

Once he knew she was sound asleep, a trembling breath leaves him.

She shouldn't feel so safe as to sleep in his arms, and yet this is what she ends up doing after their conversation.  Really, Ren didn't know what to do with this...this...

Trust.

He swallows thickly, feeling as if he's been presented a small relic.  A fragile treasure, and now he's too tired to think about it right this moment.  To process what it really meant.

So instead, he leans back and makes himself comfortable with a small hero in his arms.  He'll think about it later, when he's alone with his thoughts and no one can disturb him.

Edited by Silver Gallade

Yeah, the Oni was annoyed. But not enough to really call Ari out on this. Maybe there was a part of her that enjoyed this...she blamed Ren for conditioning her to things like this. "Hm? My blade?" She turned to her sheathed weapon. The Orochinagi. Yes, it is true that katanas were rather rare in Xensat, aside from the katana she briefly saw during the battle with undead, she hadn't seen another one. "Ah, this i called a katana." She spoke as she took it out of her sheathe. The foreign blade was well kept, polished, sharpened and honed to near perfection. Ayane valued it greatly. "I've had some time with Xensat blades during my stay here so far, I can wield them just fine. But when it comes down to it I still prefer this one." She took a quick look over the katana in her hand. "It's light and quick, easy to draw. Cuts rather clean too..." She paused for a moment. "But in this blade's case for me it's so much more than just some common weapon..."

Ren only shows mild surprise as he blinks, watching curiously now as the orc directs words and his attention towards him.  He's silent, observing, the corner of his mouth twitching slightly and something passing through his eyes as he notices what the other was holding before putting it down on the counter.  "I will do so then, now that the key is with you," he says, looking up at the other without so much as a fleck of nervousness.  Ren actually takes this time to organize his thoughts, tilting his head slightly to the side before going back to the needle and work when the orc once more sighs.

"Although, if I may ask, what has you so troubled?" 

He didn't want to go back, not yet.  In fear of running into someone else from the group or just genuinely wanting to help, Ren knew this will eat at him even if he tries to ignore it and go on his merry way.  "...May I?" he then asks once more, motioning to the materials as his usual smile settles on his lips.  "Maybe I can help..."

In the end it's easier to just help others, easier to focus on someone else's troubles rather than his own.

Bridgit simply waves a hand towards the girl wallowing in her woes, all while peering over to the jewelry after the case is opened. Ignoring pieces that were pretty in appearance but less valuable than the rest, she focuses on a couple of rings before eyes widen slightly at the lovely amethyst ring.  "Oho~, this should do nicely," she says in delight before pointing at the item in question.  "How much for this?"

Maybe, if it doesn't result in Taliyah fainting, she can get another ring or necklace to match?  Bridgit isn't one to overwhelm, polite and respectful towards other people's boundaries.

....On the other hand, the young Pureblood is trying to get well acquainted with the rest.

And big sister did say to try and make friends~.

Edited by sweet podado

Gabriela dried her tears, feeling surprisingly a bit better after a good cry. ''Well.. thanks. At least now I know what i'm fighting for. What I am living for..'' Gabriela looked at Jade, with a determined look in her eyes, then looked back to the fortune teller. ''You said some of my people joined the church out of their own free will, right?'' Fire appeared in her eyes. ''I'll be sure to have every single one of those traitor's heads on a pike. I won't rest until I find out why they joined the church. Why would they betray their own kind like that?!'' She turned to Jade. ''It's thanks to you that I found the truth. Now I can do something about it. Thank you, my friend.''

Jade hadn't known that her initial attempts at comfort would provoke quite the shedding of Gabriela's defenses and pretenses, couldn't have guessed it would prompt the full-scale tearful embrace that ultimately followed. But she was not unprepared to deal with the development when it came, leaning in to meet her halfway, to provide comforting pats on the back, or strokes of the feathers.

In hindsight, that might have been a mistake. This close to the siren, she could feel her warmth. Smell her scent. That, tantalizing, succulent scent. There was no reason for it, yet she Hungered.

At least unharmed and in the safety of the city, the zombie recognized it well enough, earlier enough, to take countermeasures. For one, she couldn't smell when she stopped breathing, so a swift cessation of lung function was immediately put into action. Sure, she couldn't talk for as long as she kept that measure in place, but some things were more important than offering Gabriela soothing words. Like... Not biting her. That certainly ranked right up there.

Next, Jade sent her thoughts frantically elsewhere, trying to think about anything other than the satisfying crunch of bone beneath teeth, the empowering feel of ripping and tearing flesh. No, those were no good at all. Try to think about Lavinia. Would that work? It couldn't hurt. Go over the fortune in her mind again, plan what to say when she saw her next, fantasize about possible responses, whole continuities of branching pathways...

Ah, a pulling away. The cry was over now? Still in a bit of mental fog, Jade blinked her eyes several times, her widened pupils narrowing back to normal levels, hiding again from view the green flames that lurked behind them--thankfully they had never made it all the way to red just now. And once again, the zombie began to breathe. A very awkward smile upon her face, she nodded, trying to feel as supportive as she wanted to be, but her own weakness and betrayal causing lingering doubt beneath the surface. "You won't have to fight alone," she offered, turning slightly aside, finding it hard to look the siren in the face. That gleam from earlier was suddenly super interesting, time to look at that again. "After all, what are friends for?"

Ah, that's what it is! Walking a little over to the side of the hut, bending down for a closer look, she turned back to the veiled lamia? "What's the story here? I wouldn't have expected to find tools of war in a place like this?" Jade reached out to the shield, resting up against the wall, and lifted it up a bit, testing its heft.

"Heh, did you expect to escape your own gifts, Taliyah?" Agni couldn't help a smirk, "It's not like we'd forget easily, you know, and it'd do you good." Content in teasing that much out of Taliyah, Agni turned to the clothings section. "Well, actually, now that you're here, how about you tell us what you'd like best?"

He motioned over to his side, picking from an assortment of knitted items, scarfs, to be specific. "You always dress lightly, so I figured..." He picked out from two colors, a burgundy that complimented her scales, and violet with faint criss cross patterns, a slight contrast alternative. "Now-- This is simply one piece, we'll get to the others soon enough, but which would you prefer?"

"Hah..." Nessraya began with a sigh, giving the pair a parting wave as Xalrei and Bladen excused themselves from the smithy, evidently having mostly concluded their business before the General had arrived with Amera. For the best, really.

"I understand that you aren't thrilled Amera, but it may not be the best of ideas to get into a staredown with every single one. It isn't as though you were around as an option... surely you'd rather this than get news I starved en route in pursuit of remaining chaste." Nessraya chastised gently... she had come along in part to make sure Amera didn't take her anger out on anybody, but she had hoped that intervention wouldn't have proven so... necessary. Perhaps not following and allowing her feelings to dissipate would have been better...

The lamia seemed shocked by Gabriela's sudden proclamation of heads on pikes, not having expected the gentle looking siren to produce such ire. This must've been something eating at her deep inside to go from crying to viscerally angry so quickly... It wasn't her place to pry further, she'd done more than enough of that by fulfilling the woman's request. Luckily, Jade picked up a shield she'd been holding onto, giving her an easy out to the current situation.

"Ah, that... It's just something I happened upon while traveling." The shield was hefty and rusted, definitely worn out... A crest, adorned with an eagle, peeked out from beneath the rusted flecks covering the equipment. "I didn't see a body near it when I found it... Nor did I hear the sounds of conflict. It had been discarded in a nearby bush, I've no idea how long it must've sat there for. As I am not a warrior, I haven't found the need to get it cleaned up, but... If you wish to part with, three hundred gold, I suppose I can let you have it~ I can't promise its quality, though. Call it... a gamble. I can see into the pasts of people, but objects, I don't have the power for such things." Being adorned with such an intricately painted crest lent itself to the shield being a genuinely rare piece of equipment, but there was no way to really tell...

Amera blushed, pouting as she turned away from the general. "I didn't start anything... And I wasn't going to. I don't expect you to understand how I'm feeling yet, anyway..." With a sigh of her own, Amera turned her attention to Vanessa with one final glance back at Xalrei and Bladen. "See you, bird boy... Alright, Vanessa, show me my order."

"Mmm... Alright." The orc wasn't that impressed by her captain's attitude, but she'd been paid, and the order was finished. It only took a moment for the woman to head into the back with the forge, and then come back with a hefty looking box, setting it on the counter with a thud. "Here. Gauntlets... Difficult to finish. But, done... Tell me, how they do." Lifting the lid off of the crate, Amera was faced with a set of silver gauntlets, putting a smile on her face.

"Perrrrrrfect~ Looks like they went together without much of a hitch." Rather than take her crate and walk off, the cat fished them out and went about getting them onto her hands, taking a moment to fasten the straps, flex her fingers... And finally, moved to inspect them. Looking them over, front to back, her smile kept getting wider. "Alright, moment of truth..." Closing her eyes and focusing... A bolt of electricity snapped between the fingers on the gauntlets, several crackles of energy following, as she left out a breath. "Absolutely perfect... Thanks, Vanessa! These are amazing." The thunder channeled perfectly into the gauntlets, Amera took up a stance and threw a few punches towards the wall, lightning arcing off of the knuckles before colliding with the stone of the forge... Almost singeing one of Vanessa's blueprints.

"Hey! Outside! Not here!" The orc was far from pleased, huffing at the beastgirl.

"Ah, s-sorry! Sorry! Just got too excited, to try them out..."

"Oh, amethyst! Good choice. There's no magic in this jewelry, so it'll only run you two hundred gold. The gem stones are a bit difficult to come by~ But, if you find yourself a capable mage, perhaps they can enchant the jewel! Always good to have your fashion provide more than a good look, right?" The rings Taliyah had purchased also had their enchantments poured into the stones set atop them, so it was likely this Tia wasn't lying.

"Ah, uh, m-me? Choose...? Er... The violet, one, l-looks nice..." Taliyah hadn't given much consideration to a scarf before, she had never been too cold. Sometimes too warm, but... It wasn't summer yet, and it looked nice. Plus, it was a gift from Agni! She couldn't turn something like that down.

"Well, I've got all I want, so when you're done with the little miss, I'll be waiting at the counter." Aithlin had picked up several pieces of clothes with that hat, and the boots that Bridgit had been eyeing. The elf wasn't about to skimp on someone's birthday.

"Rrrrh..." The orc sat back down, pocketing the key and sliding his attempts towards Ren. It looked as though he was trying to sew a flower pattern into a handkerchief, but was having trouble, either at getting the shape right, doing it swiftly enough, or with holding the needle. Orc skin was tough, so he wouldn't prick his fingers hard enough to bleed, but it was likely still annoying. "Mmm... Thank you, small creature. Want to. Make gift... For Vanessa. She... Says I, am too rough. Not delicate. Wished, to prove wrong...""Wanted, to... Make, for Vanessa. She... Said, I am, too rough." A pout spilled onto his toothy face, followed by a sigh, as he ran a hand through his mat of brown hair. "Sewing... Is, difficult. Making weapons, easy. Metal is, large. Sewing needle... So small."

"A, katana... Hmm." An odd sounding word, perhaps native to this Nanbu. The blade itself seemed properly taken care of, though, there were a few dents here and there... "Hmmm. How about this, then, Aya. Since you've been such a good sport about spending time with me, let's us visit the forge, and I'll pay for them to repair your sword. How does that sound?" Maybe they could even spruce it up, some. The church wouldn't appreciate her spending their funds on some monster's weapon, but if their information on oni was correct, Ayane had been turned into a monster against her will. A curious case of a curse... Could they hold that against them and label them monsters like the rest? Ari wasn't quite sure. The woman felt quite like a normal person, so far... Then again, so had several of the monsters in Tepel. Maybe--

"Ah!" A sudden pain in her head caused Ari to flinch, grabbing at her hair with an armored hand. "Ah... S-Sorry. Just, had a flash of a headache. What, were we talking about, again?"

"I, I know enough ab-about anima magic, s-so... H-Huh...?" Erephis had only been glancing at his tome, but reading further, she snatched it out of his hands and away from Taiyute's view, going over the incantation's written pattern. She flipped through several pages, making sure it was the same between them, before turning back and giving Seilan the world's most odd glare. It was a mix between interest, confusion, and almost insult. Handing the tome back to him, where he'd had it open before, so at least Taiyute could see, she kept her gaze on him, arms folded.

"Th-This won't cast." She said so rather confidently, as the end of her tail flicked. "The formula, it's n-not going to produce a sssssstrong en-enough, bolt of magic from... Fff, From a thunder tome. It needsss a ssssstronger, conduit-- blagh, tongue... Stupid, common..." Taking a second to collect her tongue, Erephis cleared her throat and tried to continue. "You'd, j-just make a bolt that would, maybe hurt a ch, child like this... And it looks, like y-you changed this, by hand. Wh-Why?"

"Drak Yoola...? What kind of name, is..." Lavinia was perplexed. Was this Drak Yoola where Marina's world learned of vampires? Turning into bats and having such an odd name, Lavinia could only fall further into confusion about the preconceptions Marina's people had for vampires. She did her best to shake them off, as they approached the vendor, standing aside so that Marina and their new friend could enter. If Erephis wasn't here, then... Truthfully, Lavinia had no idea where else she could be.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Ayane stared at her sword as Ari spoke. "An armory visit...well that seems like a good idea. I know some ways to take care of my own sword, but a professional would-" But then came the sudden cry of pain. "!" This caused Ayane to turn to her masked companion in concern. "Ah, Ari!" She came up quick and put a hand on her shoulder. But before Ayane could really take in what had happened she looked back at her, as if it hadn't happened. "...we were just talking about an armory visit but...are you well, Ari? That was so sudden." A headache perhaps? I guess that's the only real explanation, she seemed healthy enough. Still, Ayane wasn't sure what to make of this.

Marina gave a yawn as she finished making her rounds. It was only a matter of days until they reached Tepel, and Marina had a chance to truly start righting things. Though, another town meant more people who'd look her sideways when it was made apparent who she was. She shook it off, she was tired. Thanks to all the affirmation from Nessraya and Lavinia, Marina did start improving, slowly but surely. She could sleep again, the voices in her head quieted a bit. They were still there when she was lonely, and it was bothersome, but it was nowhere close to the original feeling.

The past week and change gave Marina the rest she needed, even if she didn't sleep. The staticy feeling in her hands eased, her muscles relaxed. She slipped into her tent. It was a bit early, but when Agni went to sleep, it wouldn't bother her.

Several minutes past, she hadn't fallen asleep. She started thinking a bit more on the elephant in the group; the two onis. She had questions, but too scared, or too inept to ask anything. Eventually, maybe after Ithraxl, she'll have built up the confidence to ask what she wanted. Shaking off the questions, she started to drift, and within the next few minutes, she had fallen asleep.

Marina didn't have dreams, not these days anyway. Usually when she goes to sleep nightmares would take her, the weight of the lives she's taken coming back as a grim reminder. But not this time. Tonight she would find herself in an unexpected dream. She would be taken to an eastern looking town, during a time of celebration in fact.

The roads were full of trinket shops and game vendors, and many people stood before them looking to spend the night away in joy and laughter. Energetic music filled the air with heavy drums and bells, and the faint smell of exotic food could also be caught with a simple whiff. Even the clothes everyone wore were exotic. Yukata! Cotton robes that looked very nice to wear. Marina wouldn't have to worry about being left out however, for if she looked down she would also find herself in one. All dressed up for the festival.

Marina was full of confusion, this wasn't something she expected. It didn't help that she was well aware she was dreaming. It felt bizarre. How real everything felt, something was off. Taking a step into what was going on, it was a festival. Everyone was happy, getting their days going with food, games... Everyone was wearing... yukata? Marina felt awkward, if she was...

Then a yelp as she looked down, she was wearing a yukata too! It was her favorite blue, decorated with flowers. It was neat, and comfy. Her hands clasped together.

Taking a breath, she started going around, looking at the vendors and games happening around her. She was too shy to go and just try anything.

As Marina paced through the stalls in glee she may notice someone approach her, humming along to the festival music now growing in intensity. Once the tunes started picking up, she lead her hum into a song. "Oh my spell intended for the Oni has instead snagged a hero~ What fortuitous bounty, certainly better than zero~"

Marina would turn around to see a smaller figure dressed in eastern clothes herself, though it had an aura of nobility to it over everyone else in the festival. Though she may also notice the girl had a white fox mask on with rather sizable ears. It covered her face well, and whatever else may be hiding with it. "My my your appearance leaves quite an impression~ I wouldn't mind keeping you in my possession~" She giggled. "Ah but worry not, I only jest~ I simply came to give you a very small request~"

Marina was caught off guard by the singing of this woman approaching her. All these things being said, an oni? She was familiar with Ayane? She started taking steps back, not certain what to make of the woman. Eventually she stopped, trying to think about what was happening. This was just a dream wasn't it?

The thing that did freak out Marina a tad was the point of 'keeping her'. It was quickly noted to be a joke, but she was weary. She couldn't run very far or fight back, not in this. The best idea was to follow along, maybe she'd understand a bit to what's going on.

The smaller girl approached Marina with a small twirl and she stopped just short. She had two kebabs in her extended hand, seemed like she was offering one to Marina. "I didn't mean to startle thee~ I offer this along with my story~" She took the other stick with her free hand and slipped it briefly under her mask to take a bite. "Mm..." With a gulp she turned back to Marina. The mask made it impossible to see, but she had a wide smile for her.

"My name is Yukari, good to meet you on this day~ Believe it or not I am a friend of Ayane~ As for my request, well I'll ask it straight~ But would you grace me with a very fun date~?" A moment of silence has come and gone, and then the girl broke out into laughter. "Aaah, sorry. I think I'm enjoying myself too much. Perhaps it's an effect of the spell I cast...but truly, I meant it. I am a friend of Ayane's. I just made this dream because I thought this would ease my ill tempered friend."

Marina listened intently as she took the kebab in her hand. As she watched the girl eat away, she sniffed the kebab. For being a dream, it smelled so real...

She started talking again, revealing herself as Yukari, a friend of Ayane's? As she kept listening, she took a bite from the kebab. Her face lit up, it was... delicious? But... it was still a dream, wasn't it? Soon enough she had scarfed down the whole thing, a sad groan when she realized she had eaten all of it...

Back into focus, she wanted to go... on a date? And this was meant to be for Ayane?

"Hmm... You made it for her but... you got me instead?" She looked around, she was still suspicious, especially considering the mask she was wearing... However she nodded, hopefully it wasn't some trap, "I'll grace you with a date, Yukari," and a smile developed on her face.

"Ah, how wonderful!" Once again the mask covered her facial expressions, but Marina could hear joy from the tone of her voice. "Then let's not waste any time, this dream won't last long. Come!" she grabbed the hero by the hand and pulled her off through the busy streets.

"I don't know if you've ever done a fishing game, but here!" And before Marina knew it they were before a stand with small fish in a pool. "You basically take a net and try to scoop one up. If you catch one you win it, sounds simple right?"

There was a light squeal when Marina was pulled by the strange girl. Marina didn't know what to make of this whole situation yet. She agreed to go with Yukari, but she still wasn't fully certain what her intentions were. They were at one of the game stands. It was simple, catching a fish.

Taking a net, Marina stared hard in the pool. She had gained solid hand-eye coordination thanks to the help of the people who trained her. Her focus was intense, and dunked the net into the pool, quickly retracting the net from the water when she caught a fish in potential capturing range. 

Seeing the net, she got a fish in it. Surprisingly, she felt a warm feeling of glee, maybe the small successes put her in higher spirits. "I did it! I got one!" She said to Yukari in her glee.

"Aaaah, so good!" She cheered. "You must be a pro at this." The vendor was impressed at Marina's skill, he took the fish and put it in a bag full of water. He held it out to the girls and Yukari took it. "Alright, let's go along." She pulled Marina off elsewhere before she even waited for another word.

After grabbing yet another snack (dango) Yukari brought Marina toward a quiet part of the festival, a small shrine. She took a seat on a stone bench and set aside the fish in the bag while she took a look at the sights below. "This is a perfect spot to view the festival. Take a look." Marina could see dancers in the roads doing a performance for people all around them, it was quite a time. "I have to thank you for upholding my request, truly." She then turned to Marina. "For this good deed you have done for me I shall grant you my honesty. Just don't be surprised, please?"

Marina's reaction to Yukari's excitement was a modest smile. It was nice to see someone so happy. She would've answered with something silly, until the strange girl pulled on her again,

"A-ah! Alright alright!" And they went off again.

They went around, introducing Marina to another interesting food, another time Marina wished she had more of something. And soon, they had a spot to watch the festival. Nodding, Marina sat along with her. Then, Yukari spouted a bit on about being thankful for her. Honestly, Marina didn't really do that much, just hung out with someone she hadn't met before.

And now another request, to not be surprised from something she planned to say. Marina nodded slowly, "I-I will do my best." She said, her body tensing up a tiny bit.

"Very good..." She replied with a nod as she finished her food. She turned to Marina and reached for the tie to her fox mask. She quickly undid the knot on the string which kept the mask in place and let it dangle off to each side of the mask. She used her other hand to keep it in place, almost a little hesitant to show her face. But she pushed aside those last doubts and slowly lowered the mask, which revealed a pretty face. Exotic, almost like Ayane.

But just like Ayane, Marina would notice two familiar horns on her head. Though these were much lighter in color. "...ahem..." She cleared her voice. "My name is Yukari Kisaragi. Princess to the now fallen Kisaragi clan." She smiled wide and pretty, showing some sharp teeth. "Very sorry I kept this from you until this point."

Marina had to process what was being said and what was going on. At first when Yukari revealed her face as an oni, Marina almost jumped up thinking this was actually Ouka fooling her. At that point, it was quite reasonable. She's the only other potential oni she knew existed. Marina let the thoughts go by as she listened to Yukari.

Much like Ayane, another princess who lost everything. "N-No, it's alright, um..." Marina didn't know how to respond, in all honesty. In fact, really the only thing was...

Before even finishing her thought, the girl wrapped her arms around the oni princess. On the surface Yukari did seem happy and gleeful, but she had to have been carrying some pain in there. Even Marina had her own ghosts in the closet.

Removing herself, Marina took a deep breath. She asked the one question she really could ask in this instance, "From Ouka as well, I assume?" with a perked eyebrow.

"!" She didn't expect the hug for certain. In fact she was expecting Marina to accuse her of deception, given that oni generally were frowned upon as villainous creatures. But truth be told she enjoyed the hug, in fact she returned it with an unexpected sniff. "Mm..." Then Marina pulled away, which brought Yukari back to her senses.

"A.ah? Ou...oh." She realized what she had meant, though despite wanting to be honest with Marina she decided against telling her THAT detail so..."Yes...I am." She answered. "Ouka had destroyed the Kisaragi, just like the Kusanagi. Ayane and I are both victims of her grand plot." She shook her head. "And now we've failed to keep her away from your lands, hero. For that you have my apologies."

"I see..." Marina nodded as she listened to the oni princess... another one, huh? And more regrets of Ouka's appearance in Xensat. Her knuckles propped up her head as she pondered everything, thinking about it. In the case, Nessraya was right. Marina wasn't the worst thing on Xensat right now if this was the case.

Returning to the topic at hand, she popped back up, looking Yukari in the eyes, "Things happen. I can't say it's alright, but... we can make it alright, right?" She asked, now giving Yukari the smile. "I guess now, I have at least two questions... the first would be, where are or what are you doing? The second is... well..." She gulped, not wanting to sound guilty, "Why me? Why didn't you get Ayane?"

Yukari simply watched Marina as she answered her questions. She was very grateful the hero was as understanding as she was. "I'm...not entirely sure where I am exactly to be honest. Ever since I came here I've been in hiding, trying very hard not to catch Ouka's eyes. So I'm constantly on the move. It's the very same reason why I couldn't contact Ayane, I know Ouka will have eyes on her the entire time. I can't afford to show our hand just yet."

She took a sigh. "I just wanted to help somehow, send a message that I'm here. But despite that, I don't know how effective this message will be if we can't easily meet each other..."

Marina nodded as Yukari explained. It was unfortunate on both ends, for her and for Ayane. And she didn't really know where she was either. Not the best help she could get, but... hopefully, they'd find a way to her in that case. "I see, I see," She nodded, a pondering sound escaping her mouth as she thought some more.

She gave the princess a pat on the shoulder. "It's okay, Yukari. I'm sure we'll figure something out. I can at least let Ayane kno--" She stopped, "Would that be safe, considering Ouka, or no? I don't want her to know you're here if you're hiding as hard as you are."

Yukari knew that letting Ayane know would be dangerous. But she couldn't just keep this from her forever, especially considering the trouble she went through to get into Marina's dreams. "...the spell I used to enter your dreams was from a rare item, one of the last treasures I took from the Kisaragi empire before the collapse. It breaks once this dream ends, after that I have no easy way to contact you." Considering this was her one shot she wanted to make it count, so she kept thinking. After a small moment she came up with an answer.

"Keeping this from Ayane would be bad I feel, but I need you to use your best judgement in when to tell her. Wouldn't want her temper to burn something down if you keep it for too long though, right?" She smiled a little, attempting to uplift things. "As for not knowing where I am...well keep doing what you can, I'm certain stories of your travels will reach where I am. I'll follow those stories closely and I'm sure they will lead me to you. That or you could start asking about other Oni yourself." She grinned. "Just say you're looking for an old Oni girlfriend and you wanted to meet again." She giggled at her small tease.

Marina nodded along, pondering about the potential of when telling Ayane would be right. It was a hard ponder, she had to figure out the best time to tell the other oni princess what had occurred. When would it be best? Could she trust it wouldn't end up putting Yukari in danger? A sigh,

Then, a tiny redding in her cheeks from the girlfriend comment. Then, she calmed herself, and nodded. "I'll do my best, I promise. We have a big fight on our way for us, I'm sure that... word will pass sooner than later." And Marina left her a smile. "I have hopes. For all of us..." and she passed on a pat on the shoulder.

"Hm, thank you Marina..." She smiled at that. "I see the dream is starting to fade, a shame...oh well." She spoke. "At least we have a plan, right?" She leaned into Marina. "Well until next time..." Before Marina could protest the Oni princess leaned in quick and pecked her on the lips. That's right, she stole a kiss! "I'll take that as a promise to meet again~" She giggled as the scene started fading to white. "Until then, please take care of Ayane and Ren for me..." With a small wave she too went white, and the scene faded back to Marina's awakening.

Marina let out a small, "Oh no," as their dream world started to dissipate, looking around. Turning back to the oni princess, suddenly, she came in close, and yet again... someone else stole a kiss from her, and she froze as she turned beet red.

"W-w-wait!" She tried to halt the world before she woke up, "I-I promise we'll find you, just stay sa--"

Everything had ended, Marina suddenly shooting up from her spot she slept, a reached out hand in the direction Yukari used to be. Just barely, she could see. It was still dark. It might've been morning soon, but the girl could tell. Was that real? She thought to herself. It felt real, but...

Slowly lowering herself back down to the ground, she decided to try and go back to sleep, and slowly pondered. Yukari's was counting on her, right? A small sigh, as she laid to return to sleep...

Edited by TheRoon

"Oh? Magic weapons, hmm? How interesting." Nessraya mused, chuckling a bit at Amera's excited display. This was certainly a more pleasant side to the beastgirl than her bubbling jealousy, and if she said that she had no intent to actually start anything, then the General was willing to take her at her word to avoid going back to that unpleasantness.

"Mmm, I do love seeing you so excited, Amera. It does the heart some good... if that is all of your business here, I'd be happy to witness your proper demonstration, you know~"

''What? You are seriously going to sell us some piece of junk? What do we need some old shield for that you found somewhere? There are holes in this story, and while i'm no fortune teller, something about this shield seems fishy to me. I don't think we should pick this one up, Jade. But... i'll leave it up to your discretion, I guess.''

Gabriela eyed the Lamia suspiciously. She is really trying to sell them a strange shield that she supposedly 'found' while traveling who knows where, and no body was nearby? Wouldn't whoever this shield belonged to have simply taken it with them? And if the owner was defeated in battle, wouldn't the victor have collected their spoils? Instead, this shield was left by it's lonesome somewhere. The shield was old, but it had a crest on it, a rather striking one at that. No one in their right mind would leave this for some fortune teller to find and take it. Trying to look at the fortune teller to see if she knew something more was a futile effort, as her veil concealed most of her emotions. However, if Jade does have some interest in the shield, who is Gabriela to say she can't have it?

"I'm sure it'll look all the nicer when you don it." Agni smirked, taking another item from the clothes stack he perused. A white shirt not unlike Taliyah's own, but more fitting to her size, and not ruined by the elements. That would be a start to her wardrobe. Another shirt, black in color this time, for good measure. "And a change of clothes, for a woman like you. I trust these are more your style?" She would eventually need clothes for winter, but that wouldn't be for some time yet.

"Try them on if you like them. I'll get them paid in the meantime."

Xalrei had just set one foot out the door when she overheard Amera asking for her order. There was no way the sassy cat was the one who'd had the gauntlets commissioned, was she? Watching from the door as the box was retrieved and then handed over, Xalrei's eyes momentarily lit up as she saw the ornate silver gauntlets. Ever since she'd seen Taiyute fight, and subsequently gotten to know her a bit better, her interest in the martial arts had been peaked. Taiyute had given the dragonewt some pointers, and they'd even sparred once or twice, but even that hadn't sated her curiosity. 

"What, what kind of gauntlets are those?" Xalrei asked, having stepped back inside the building proper once Amera had finished her test trial. On both a personal level, and as a dragon, she was very interested in the custom gauntlets. Punching things (properly) was all well and good, but punching things magically was a whole new level of cool for her. Enough for her to, temporarily, forget the unwarranted hostility Amera had been giving her.

"Ah, well... comments on effectiveness aside, I figured you'd say something along those lines - after all, the formula is fairly unconventional compared to some of the more commonly devised ones." If he was confident of one thing, it was that it worked in practice. "If you look once more, you'll see that the formula is more evocative of thunder as it is conceptually in nature, as opposed to the more common formulae that focus on the creation and shaping of lightning and thunder as a weapon. My teacher posited that this approach is actually closer to the core concepts of anima magic when organized in this way as opposed to how it's most often used for combat, but that's another matter entirely..."

Receiving the tome, he passed it in turn to the other woman. It had taken him a brief moment to understand what she had asked of him; she spoke a bit unusually, but she was a fair bit more comprehensible than the 'star' from earlier. "And, yes, I would be very glad to exchange some of my magical knowledge with you, as well. It would be nice to learn about elemental wind; my experience is... eh, limited, to say the least, beyond thunder magic." Limited to zero, admittedly, but the two of them didn't have to know that... well, for now, at least, since it seemed that they might continue their discussions in the future.

Empty-handed once more after handing over the tome, he picked up a staff set in a nearby rack that had caught his eye during the conversation. Holding it in his hands, the knurled wood had a warm, soothing aura to it. Perhaps it was time to pick up something new...

Astraea nodded. It was settled then. Learning more was good, and learning about something she'd never had a chance to see before was better. Though it seemed that it was time to learn if she was alone in the world or not. A nervous look entered her eyes, and she hesitated, hanging back from the door for a long second. Looking pleadingly at Marina, she gestured to the door. "Ah, you first? After all, thou are the one who knows this person, not me. I would not want to startle her..." Her breath was struggling to come for a second. She knew she had to go talk to this Erephis at some point, but maybe not just yet... Delaying the truth just a bit longer suddenly seemed like the best thing to do, for a reason she couldn't explain.

Bladen had just been about to let out a sigh of relief at escaping the awkward situation when suddenly Xal went charging back into the shop. Ok, maybe not charging, but still. She went back in! And to ask questions of the Captain of all things. A few seconds ago, he would have sworn they were about to start punching each other and now she wanted to talk weapons? He couldn't help letting out a quiet groan as he slumped up against the outside wall of the shop. Time to wait... After all, he had no real interest in punching things. Keeping a swords distance between him and his opponent was plenty close enough as it was. And he certainly didn't need to be messing around with any more magic. One type of magic he couldn't control was already more than enough.