Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Marina couldn't help a light laugh at Lavinia's confusion about Dracula, "Honestly, if it were my world, I could say the same thing about Lavinia Vasilia." She smiled, but her sheepish awkwardness quickly returned, afraid if she ended up offending her caretaker. "Sorry, I had to. Um... but yeah, things from my world are... strange. We're only humans, and there are many interpretations. Some better... some," And she made a shivering sound, "Much, much worse. And that's regarding... most, monsters."

Soon they reached the vendor. And Lavinia stepped to the side. Marina was left the first person to go in after Astraea lead her on. A sigh, she supposed it was now her responsibility to look after the celestial. Taking her steps, she opened up the door, immediately seeing Taiyute and Erephis speaking to... the other human from the meeting. Seilan if she remembered correctly. She took a few steps in, but the three all seemed very into the conversation they were having. She didn't say anything, she just... watched, not wanting to interrupt.

Taiyute was invested in the two individuals talking the magics. Even if the things they said referring to the book practically whooshed past her head. She never thought of how a tome worked, or anything. She could barely read the common language, let alone the inscriptions of tomes. It just came naturally, and she needed a conduit to actually make anything. Maybe she'd end up learning something from this 'Seilan'. He seemed good, much like the hero and her bodyguard did.

A nod, when the human returned with an answer to her offer, "Many thanks yes, Seilan. I think it would be good practicing. And teach you wind, yes I can," She continued nodding. "Wind is easy. Though a genasi, I can show how to do it good, yes." She lightly flicked her fingers, surrounding Seilan with a gentle breeze. Admittedly embarrassing, she could do something so minute so easily, but a real spell took more effort than most, No no, none of that worry. Relax. "You are, most kind." Another nod. She'd be motioning her hands if not for the two tomes that now rested in her arms.

She briefly turned away from the two as she felt a new presence disturbing the air in the building. Ah, it was only the hero. She made a full turn over to the girl and greeted calmly, "Greetings Miss Marina, what can be done for you?"

"Oh, u-um... I was just coming to see Erephis is all. I-I didn't mean to intrude," Marina had replied, shuffling her feet.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgit didn't miss when Aithlin took the boots to go and finish her purchases.  At this point the Pureblood just inwardly sighs and lets the other do what she wantes.  Now though, she pays attention to the vendor's words with more curiosity than before.  "He is right.  Know that this Bridgit wouldn't bother with such things if they didn't enjoy your company," she simply puts with a flourish of her hand, sounding as if she were simply commenting on the weather with how casual her statement is.

"Hmm, having a mage enchant it will fall onto whether Taliyah wants to or not since the ring will be hers," she continues, a gentle finger tapping against her chin once more.  "Yes, this will do.  Also, add this one as well," she adds while picking up another ring from the batch.  It's a small thing, inconspicuous and easy to hide, with a small ruby adorning the band.  Without further explanation about why she wants that ring specifically, Bridgit simply gave a brief glance at Taliyah and Agni before joining Aithlin at the front.

There had been a twitch of her lips, just barely a smile, her eyes conveying a teasing spark before it's gone as she turns her head away.

As the orc slides the work in progress towards Ren, he carefully picks it up to inspect the piece with a curious eye.  Knowing that the other has been putting his best efforts to working on this, the ex-human handles it with the care it deserves.  "You'd be surprised at how similar sewing a pattern and forging a weapon is," he states with a hum.  "You're both creating something, there's care put into the pieces and your customer won't be satisfied with sloppy results," and the way he says this with confidence shows just how much Ren actually knows about this.

Helps that his mother made him patch up his own clothing, which eventually led to him learning more about the intricacies of needlework.

"Sewing for you is difficult because you're not using the right tools," he continues to explain, tone steady and calm as he picks up the small needle.  "This right here is what's keeping you back from creating something lovely for your intended," Ren explains with a smile now.  "I used to have the same problem.  I mean, my hands aren't exactly the type to wield such tiny tools," he says while holding them up for the other to see.  Still smaller than the orc's, but definitely not shaped to handle something as delicate as sewing.

"The way I got around it is simple: I made my own tools to accommodate such shortcomings." His mother was the one that actually put down the request, but details.  "You can definitely do the same.  Create your own needles to help you create the gift for Vanessa.  Maybe then it won't be as frustrating, and I can tell you now that she'll probably appreciate how hard you're trying at this."

When he's done, Ren lets out a breath and feels a bit flummoxed.  He really didn't need to offer his help; he could've left as soon as he delivered the key.  Did he do it because it felt right helping others?  In part yes, but Ren knew better than to delusion himself like that.

"I...do apologize if I was out of line."

If he keeps on helping others, then he can keep his own problems hidden just a little longer.

Edited by sweet podado

"Oh... O-Oh!" The orc smiled as the realization hit him, laughing his way into the back room. He went to fetch something, a small box, still grinning ear to ear as he came back out. "Thank you! You, have great idea... Here, take this. Make me realize, going about all wrong. I will make, larger needle!" Having the explanation click for him seemed to have turned his mood around completely. He left the box on the table for Ren, and picked up the tiny needle, taking it out back again. He had measurements and templates to construct if he was going to smelt himself a larger implement.

Ren gains... A small box!

"Two rings it is~ If you're gonna take 'em both, I'll give you a discount. Three hundred for the lot~" Tia didn't sell jewelry very often, and rather than see them gather dust, she wanted to make sure they were worn on hands that deserved them. A dragon and a vampire purchasing HER wares? It was wonderful! "Come along to the counter, everyone, and I'll sort you all out." She was already on her way, tail wagging, grabbing some paper bags for easy carrying.

Aithlin was already there, shirts, shorts, and those boots set ready. Meanwhile Taliyah, poor Taliyah, was struggling to accept that Bridgit was spending hundreds of golds on her for jewelry. "I... I, th-this..." She couldn't weasel her way out of it... So the tears started flowing, hands and arms furiously wiping at her eyes to hide them. "Th... Th-thank, you all... Sss, s-so much..."

"E-Eh?" Erephis wasn't quite sure what Seilan had meant until she snatched his tome once more and started looking over it. Taiyute could see it after, this was a serious upheaval of magic, not just for anima! As she was studying the passage, it was slowly dawning on her. Tomes were written with weaker conduits, like your average thunder, fire, wind tome, to make for ease of production. The formula written into them were meant to produce the idea of the spell in nature, in anima's case, at least. A lightning bolt from a thunder tome was written out to, generally, produce that... But, if someone tried to alter such a spell in a weaker conduit, it wouldn't be strong enough to produce the desired result. At best, you'd give someone a tickle, a small burn, not the devastating effect of a simulated thunderbolt.

But... By changing the tome's formula to match the more natural description of thunder, rather than the general idea that was perceived by people, even a thunder tome like this could manage what Seilan was aiming for. It was definitely written and tuned towards his own magic, so it was unlikely anyone else could use his tomes as effectively, or... At all... "Th-Thisss iss, inssssane... Di, Did you write th, thisssss-- Grahhh, th-this! All out, on your own!?" She couldn't believe it.

Lavinia couldn't believe how animated Erephis was, as they entered the vendor. Her glasses were still on, had something really peaked her interests as far as to get her this excited? "Erephis! You've a guest... When you're finished with whatever is exciting you so much."

"Hwah!? Lavinia! I, er, s-sorry! I'll, b-be right over, uh... H-Here!" She shoved the book back towards Taiyute, glancing at Seilan once more. "W-We'll talk more, a, after..." Slithering over to Marina and her unknown friend, Erephis' shoulders shrunk, trying to maintain composure. "H... H-Hello. How, ca, can I assist?"

"... Excuse me." The fortune teller didn't take very kindly to Gabriela's words, especially after having helped her out so much... Supposedly, at the least. "Your friend took an interest of her own accord. I cannot give away something that smells of nobility for no reason. I'm sure that crest belongs to, or belonged, to a ruling family in one of the countries on this continent. Had there been a corpse, perhaps I could've chanced a look into their past... Alas. If you are uninterested in my wares beyond my fortune services... I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself." How rude, really...

"You would!? I'd love to show you how... I..." What was this? Why had the dragon come back? Amera had made it painfully clear that she didn't want to be around the lizard... There was, at least, genuine interest in her request. Amera thought for a moment, glancing at Nessraya, then back to this girl... She sighed. I'd look better to Nessy if I at least tried to get along instead of being hostile the entire time. Even if I don't want to...

"They're silver," she started, heading out of the forge. The dragon could follow if she wanted to hear more. Giving Bladen a smile, she set herself far enough away from the forge that Vanessa wouldn't complain, and set up her fighting stance. "Not your typical silver laced weaponry, like well forged swords or spears. Completely silver... They're pretty awful for typical combat because of that. Good thing they aren't for typical combat." Lowering herself a bit, Amera began to fling out a flurry of punches in front of her, sparks of electricity flying off of each one, a good several feet in front of her. With a small huff, she stopped her demonstration, standing back upright.

"I don't need to worry about them breaking if I don't actually hit someone~ And..." Aiming her first out, away from the group, and concentrating... After a moment, a crash of thunder hit the pavement even further away. "Hah... So long as I focus, I can use them just like a tome. They're perfect for me, and Vanessa is pretty good at this stuff... I talked to some of the mages working here, and while they said it was a terrible idea, some of them agreed that... It could work... Field test proves them right~" Satisfied with her new weapon, she set her hands on her hips and grinned.

"Ah... Yes, I'm, I'm fine. Let's continue, shall we?" What was that? What was I even thinking about...? Her previous mental diversion forgotten, Ari shook her head and continued onward with Ayane in tow. The forge slowly came into sight, as well as a spectacle of a beast girl demonstrating some sort of weapon. "Hmmm... How interesting." Magical equipment that weren't tomes were definitely a rare sight. That she could use them so proficiently was impressive as well... And worrying. These beasts are becoming stronger with the day. How terrifying...

"Shall we say hello, Ayane? I don't suppose the locals would mind us intruding on their little discussion."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Gabriela covers her mouth after hearing the fortune teller's response. "R-right, sorry. You did help me..force of habit. It's Jade's decision anyway." She looks to Jade once more with a look that screams "Sorry!". She then sits back quietly waiting for Jade to finish her business.

The small gust of wind set a light ripple into his cloak, the silver hilt in its pocket lightly tapping his side. He made a note to save that little reveal for a later conversation, when both the lamia - he was... loosely confident that her name was Erephis, at this point - and the genasi, whose name he'd still managed to not catch, were less occupied with other matters. "Ah, I'm glad to hear it. It looks like you have quite a natural command of wind, so it looks like I'll have a good reference to learn from. Hold onto that tome if you'd like for now. I'll get another one now, and then I can show you both what the formula writing process looks like."

He'd selected a weightier tome from its stand nearby, bringing it to the counter, and made it as far as drawing out his coin pouch to pay the shopkeep when he looked back and realized who the newly arrived customers were. Pity; he'd been about to apologize for interrupting her reading with the discussion they'd been having. A further pity, still, was that despite his meandering about in an attempt to relax, he'd yet again run into someone he'd rather have avoided. The vampire and the star, Seilan didn't particularly mind, though the Hero, well... it was clear enough that he wasn't the only one among them who was at least a little troubled by her presence. Even if all of Coteon's propaganda was obviously wrong, there were still many questions left unanswered. He set his payment down with a brief "thank you" to the spider and stepped towards the others near the front of the store, quietly paging through the new tome. Perhaps he'd be able to leave them to their own conversations.

Seilan purchases Elthunder and Restore.

Edited by mcd900

The merchant nodded as the fortune teller described the history of the shield. Could have been anything really, or nothing for that matter. Unlike with Requiem, the seller wasn't trying to play up the nature of a curse to generate a thrill factor, and the dissimilarity continued, as yet further unlike with Requiem, the initial price point was much more reasonable, even before any haggling needed to get involved. The quoted ask was only on the level of your common iron weaponry, after all. Hardly an investment, even if the whole thing were to turn a complete bust in the end, if it ended up just some broken heirloom with no practical uses! In fact, Jade had been turning to Gabriela to remark as much, when, to her surprise, the siren's reaction was entirely different. It was almost like a switch had been flipped, and the woman felt suddenly wary and on her guard. Like a cornered stray, almost.

"You don't have to be so defensive for me," Jade interjected, trying to smooth things over. She had to agree with the lamia's own objections, on this front. "If you're worried I'll be taken advantage of, as she says, it's true that as things stood she would have been perfectly content to let us walk out of her shop without so much as mentioning, much less trying to pawn it off on us. And do you forget, this isn't my first rodeo?" She sighed a bit here, and added softer, half to herself, but easily overheard. "Was this the sort of thing that caused the bit of ruckus at the tailor's in Aensbrook? I didn't hear much in the way of details, but..." Jade sighed and turned back to the fortune teller.

"I'm sorry about my friend, as I understand it, money's always been tight for her," she was a mercenary at the whim's of Asami's purse strings, was she not? That was what Jade felt she remembered any way. Continuing to express regrets, she went on, "That's why this whole outing was going to be my treat to begin with. I was hoping she wouldn't hold back on that account, but even if she did, your reading for her revealed a lot. So, putting the matter of the shield aside, we're both very grateful for that." Finishing the apology with a bow, another small curiosity on the table caught her eye. Small, circular, and just big enough for a finger.

"Is it a similar story with that ring too, then? Someone's lost belonging, and you're not a jeweler but if I wanted to gamble... to test my luck..." the zombie's lips curled to a grin, having fun in the situation, despite the circumstances. "Ah, forgive me if now I too have crossed the line and said something rude I shouldn't have. Hard to help my merchant instincts, sometimes."

Taiyute took the book back, admittedly confused about what got the snake stirred up so much. All she got was that Seilan apparently wrote the tome himself? Something along the lines. It didn't matter as she continued looking into it. It fascinated her.

Marina however swallowed, she could talk to Erephis. As much as the other human-- Seilan, was there and made her feel uncomfortable, she now had her duty to assist Astraea in her troubles. "Um, this woman," She motioned, hoping the celestial would follow. "This is Astraea. She has... a particular issue. Do you know anything about, Celestials, or anything like that?" She sighed, it made even less sense for Marina. Hopefully Erephis would have something for them, some kind of answer.

Taiyute tilted her head, "Sellstool?" She turned her head towards Seilan, "What is a Sellstool?"

Well that reaction worried Ayane a little. 'What in the world is going on with her...wait, why do I care this much? She's a stranger... mm yes.' "If you're sure..." She spoke as she followed behind. Despite the conflict in her head she continued to stick with Ari, she was just too damn curious. Speaking of strangers one more entered her view. A beast girl wielding a weapon, of course that wasn't a surprise to her considerng how close they were to the smithy. Though her finesse with the blade was what attracted Ayane's attention.

"Hm...I suppose not." She answered, giving into her curiosity once more. That said, it wasn't the only thing that caught her eye. This wasn't a group of strangers, there were people here she knew. Nessraya, Xalrei and Bladen in fact. "...seems as though our trip has brought us to my allies." She answered Ari as she approached them. "What a surprise to find you and the company here, general." She addressed Nessraya and nodded to Bladen. She would have done the same to Xalrei, but her attention seemed occupied at the moment.

Edited by TheRoon

Well, he hadn't expected that.  Blinking at the other's enthusiasm and gratitude, the ex-human almost (almost) felt inclined to flush in embarrassment at such reactions towards his help.  He did however offer another smile, but this one's softer around the corners.  "I will leave you to it then, good friend.  Good luck on your endeavors!" he calls out with a wave, gently taking the box with him as he steps out and heads back towards the tavern.

"Never thought I'd help an orc with sewing, of all things," he chuckles, his words directed at his feathery companion that had quietly observed the whole thing.  When he receives two small chirps in response, Ren sighs and gently fluffs the bird's feathers.  Attention going back to the small box in his other hand, he arches a brow slightly as he wonders what's inside...

Having an easier time getting back to the tavern now, he arrives shortly and offers a wave of his hand at Braksen as he enters once more.  "Key safely delivered, among a few things," he pipes up while nearing the bar.  "Trevon had a problem with something, and I offered to lend a hand.  It's why the trip took a bit, I do apologize," the ex-human adds after, making sure to use the orc's name to confirm that he did complete the errand and not actually steal it.  Ukogi chirps twice to agree with his Master.

"That is acceptable," she calls to the vendor with a nod before turning towards the others, especially Taliyah.

She should've expected the lizard to react in some way, but once the tears started Bridgit starts and crimson eyes widen at the spectacle.  "W-Wh, wah- Taliyah!" she flusters, flailing her hands a bit in front of her before rummaging on her person.  Taking out a handkerchief for the other girl, the Pureblood offers it to Taliyah as she looks away with a soft blush on her cheeks.  

"P-Please cease your crying.  It is u-unbecoming for a lady to cry in public," Bridgit huffs, not at all annoyed but just...worried?  Guilty?  She hadn't intended to make the other cry, and now this!  H-Honestly...

Edited by sweet podado

"Hmmhmm... so the gauntlets act as a conduit to covert kinetic energy into magical potential... rather than being written in, the spell must be engraved into the gauntlets themselves to function as a tome would when you pass magic through them... fascinating..." Nessraya rattled off as she watched the demonstration, floating a bit closer and taking Amera's hand once she finished, inspecting the gauntlet a bit more closely. So closely, in fact, that she nearly missed Ayane's arrival, although being personally addressed was enough to get her greeting across.

"Oh, hello Ayane. Who is your friend?" Nessraya inquired, glancing in the duo's direction for a moment.

Bladen fidgeted, watching the demonstration. He didn't really understand the big deal. It seemed like the weapon let her channel magical energy, but was that really that novel? He was pretty sure he had heard of similar weapons before, and really, look at Requiem. Though... he had to admit that was a bit of an outlier. Still, it clearly made the captain happy, so that was really what mattered. Besides, it clearly had some fearsome battle potential, and anything they had to help in their upcoming fight would be welcome. Still, he couldn't help but feel the urge to move on. As interesting as watching someone punch the air and have lightning come out was, surely there was something more he could be doing. Some way to better prepare for what was to come...

The arrival of Ayane stopped him just as he was pushing away from the wall to let Xal know he was leaving. She was accompanied by someone he had never met before, or at least he assumed that, given the way she had hidden her features. Still, he nodded back to Ayane, before returning a curious gaze to her companion. The General had already asked for her identity, so he was content to quietly stand and wait. Perhaps once introductions were done, he could convince Xal to join him in heading elsewhere.

"Uhm... Hello, friends of Marina and Lavinia. As thine companion has said, I am called Astraea, or at least, that is what you may call me. I am afraid my language would not be something that you could speak... Celestial is her name for my people, but perhaps it would be making more sense if I said that I am the heart of a star? I have fallen down to this world and was hoping..." She swallowed, her words catching in her throat. This was the last chance she had. If she was let down here... She really would be alone. "I was hoping that thou might have stories... Knowledge of my kind having been here before. We dream of this place so often, and always assumed that those who fell would land here. So when I did, I assumed that I was not the first. But everyone has said that they have never heard of my people. They seemed stunned that I would even exist. Please... Please tell me there is still hope that I am not alone here."

"I can see that..." Xalrei grumbled as she followed the cat out of the forge, her gaze more so on the gauntlets themselves than the beastwoman they were attached to. She settled on the wall next to Bladen as she got ready to watch the cat, arms casually crossed over her chest. During her demonstration in the street Amera had Xalrei's rapt attention as she watched the lightning dance off her gauntlets, ending with an actual cast of a thunder spell. Call her childish, but she was a little disappointed it hadn't lasted any longer. Really, she was probably lucky to have gotten one at all, with how the general felt about her. With that thought in mind, it made the next thought in her head seem ridiculous, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

"I know you don't like me, but, would you maybe consider teaching me h, how to fight like you? At least the basics, maybe?" It was clear that Amera didn't like her for things that were, at this point, out of Xalrei's control. If her first impression of the cat was representative of her at all, those feelings weren't going to go away anytime soon. Maybe even boil over at some point, and cause some real fireworks. This way, Xalrei figured, Amera would get to work out some of her frustration on her under the premise of 'teaching', and she'd at least learn something from it. Better that, than go on pretending nothing would eventually happen. This was all assuming Amera would accept in the first place, of course.

Bladen pushing off the wall finally drew her attention away from the cat, at least partially. Though with his attention drawn towards Ayane and her mysterious companion, Xalrei's was drawn there just as well. Ayane hadn't greeted her at all, or maybe she had and Xalrei had just missed missed it, but Xalrei nodded at her all the same. Nessraya had already asked for the newcomer's name, so all that was left to wait for the answer from the cat and the masked woman.

"Not a problem," the lamia replied, picking up the ring with great care, as to not have it slip onto one of her fingers. "This, I do know. A ring of favor crafted from one of the Dwarven mines in Khach's Zreiya region. A magical little trinket that I was gifted by... Let's keep that a secret." He would've preferred to remain anonymous in this exchange. "Its magic bestows great boons of strength, speed, dexterity and fortitude to the wearer... though there is one small problem." She set it down, truly afraid some quirk of gravity would have it fall onto her hand.

"Should you ever take it off, or wear another piece of magical equipment... it will shatter completely. I dare not let patrons examine the look of it on their hands, or see it up close for that reason, I hope you understand." The Golden ring set with a turquoise gemstone looked rather unassuming, but even Jade, dulled to magic and senses, could feel something radiating from it if she had approached. Gabriela would not need to get close to sense its powers were she to have tried.

"Unlike the shield that I cannot verify, as I know the value of this ring... three thousand gold. I'll take no less. Much as I would never wear it, it is still a bit of a keepsake. To part with its power and its memories will run you that much. And, no haggling, miss merchant. Not a penny cheaper, and don't expect a combo deal for both." A small chuckle followed as she leaned back ever so slightly. Her smile was more than apparent.

Gabriela couldn't help but laugh at the last remark. "I guess I deserved that one, didn't I?" She giggles. That ring was rather curious. It was quite pretty, and would certainly fit nice on any lady's hand, but at the same time, the amount of magic power eminating from the little thing was overwhelming, if not a tad frightening. "What a strange ring... do you want it, Jade?"

Oh. Serious time. The difference in the body language of the lamia was obvious, and its effect on Jade's mood was immediate. Unlike the shield, the ring was clearly not a joke, nor something to play around with. The story that accompanied the explanation was also somehow bittersweet. A gift the fortune-teller still cherished the memories of, still admired its giver... and yet she'd never worn it. It was somehow... sad.

Gabriela had returned to good humor, at least, and asked her if she wanted it. The zombie had to admit that part of her did. It was probably obvious just looking at her. There was something exciting about collecting curios, after all. But this one was slightly different than most. Unlike trying it out for a bit, then flipping it to another buyer, this one was for keeps. A commitment. Would she use it if she bought it? Or would it just sit in a box, collecting dust and memories like it had for the lamia? What was her plan? Jade's lips were pressed in a tight line, deep in thought. 

"I didn't bring that kind of money with me for this little jaunt around the town... And no, I'm not trying to haggle here, I will respect you on that," the merchant managed after a few more moment's contemplation. It was all true of course, anything more than light spending money she kept in a lockbock that was either under her seat on the wagon when on the road, or brought into the room with her when they were at an inn. But also important was that this was no decision to be made on impulse, and that was clearly understood. "We'll settle up now over the fortunes, and whether I decide one way or the other on the ring, I'll drop by again later and let you know. What time do you close up for the night?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Seeing Taliyah break the dams was... well, it really spoke for itself. There was no chuckle following that, Agni simply beared an amicable, muted smile. "That's what friends are for, Taliyah. Don't worry about it." Agni reached an arm out, ruffling Taliyah's hair. "This is all fine, you know? Everyone deserves nice things once in a while, including you."

It was easy to forget about the fact their next mission involved her father as the target...

"There... I almost feel like I should be buying you something fancier, with what Miss Bridgit is bringing onto the table." An attempt at levity wouldn't hurt, though it wasn't quite a lie...

"I-I'm... Sorry... I, I'll, I'll... T-Try...!" Taliyah sniffled through her words, trying to stop herself. Quickly, she shook her head, as Agni suggested that he buy her something more. That Bridgit was buying jewelry for her at all was already beyond her expectations. Anything more and she'd be sobbing the entire day.

"Alright~ That'll be thirty for you, sir, and fifty for you, my lady. The little miss already knows how much her purchase will cost." Tia was fishing bags and boxes out for all the purchases; paper bags and two small boxes for Bridgit's ring purchases. One box for the boots hit the counter as she began to fold the clothes and stuff them into the bags.

"Quick work. Here's your gold... I hope you enjoy your boots, Bridgit." Aithlin winked at her as she waited against the counter. "Heh. Little miss..."

"That's fine," the lamia replied with her barely visible smile, placing the ring back on her table... Out of quick reach. "I close shop quite early, before dinner. If you're inquiring about visiting later in the evening, I'm afraid I won't be here... But, I have a room rented out at the pub. Just tell Braksen you're there to see... Circe. He'll let me know you're there." She tilted her head with another smile, not mentioning the shield. Pushing a purchase would do her no good... The ring would be far more lucrative should it come to that.

"Uh... W-Well, normally, yeah. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised you know, your stuff..." Amera was taken aback by Nessraya's sudden interest, blushing and freezing up as the gauntlet was handled so quickly. She hadn't been expecting the general to be so interested, but maybe Nessraya really took a fancy towards magical equipment. It would be wonderful if she was this enthusiastic more often. "Er, in this case, it's n-not written into the weapon, it's--"

Amera's moment of delight was quickly broken by the dragon. Of course. "You want me to teach you? Really?" The gall of this girl... A quick glance at Nessraya had Amera thinking about it, though. "Ugh..." If she got along with this girl more, Nessraya would likely think better of her for it. Fighting would just make the general uncomfortable, she clearly got along with her enough to have slept with her once. "You know what? Sure." It would be annoying, but maybe she could get a few stress hits in alongside an actual less on close quarters combat.

The arrival of their horned friend and... Who is that? Amera furrowed her brow, glancing between Ayane and this masked woman. "I don't recognize you."

"As you wouldn't, Captain Kasrian. Not with the mask on, of course." Ari stepped forward, next to Ayane, put an arm around her shoulder... And then a knife to her throat. "Ayane, stay still, and I won't hurt you. I just have a few questions for the general. Please understand."

"What--!?" Amera's fists were up, suddenly on alert. That weird feeling magic was starting to hit her too, what exactly was this woman?

"First off... Is Marina here, in Tepel, with your group?"

Braksen was cleaning out a mug as Ren walked back into his bar, giving the oni an odd look and a smile. "Well. Guess you did go see him, stranger. Hope it wasn't too big of a problem, but thanks for sorting that all out." He had been a bit worried the key would've gone missing forever, but that would've been an annoyance, rather than a problem. "Didn't expect you to go out of your way for that, so here's thanks."

Ren gains +200 gold!

"Free meal for you as well. That's about as much as it'd cost to have that key replaced, so consider the meal your extra for doing it so quickly." He looked away from Ren for a moment before another glance and curiosity got the better of him. "Hey... Don't mean to pry, but... The bird you have with you. Mind tellin' me about it? Never seen one quite like it... Or a monster like you, but I don't like to go further'n surface level with strangers. Bad for business."

"Eh?" Erephis sat stunned for a moment before looking Astraea over, up and down, her eyes getting wider the more she stared holes into her. "HUH!?" Her voice suddenly erupted in surprise! It wasn't seconds before she was slithering circles around the girl, looking her over from all angles, trying her best to make sure she captured every detail-- "Bwagh!"

Before tripping on her own tail and falling face first onto the floor of the vendor.

"Oh, my," the spider commented, giving Seilan a small smile and collecting his gold from the purchases.

"S... S-Sorry..." She picked herself back up before taking a moment to collect herself as best as she could. "I, I-I've only ever, r-read tales about... C-Celessssstials, this is... R-Really? But your magic, i, it, it issssn't like anything I've ever felt before, s-sssssooo... You musssst be..." Erephis went from shock, to smiles, but her brows furrowed and her smile curled up ever so painfully...

"I've never... M-Met another, Celestial before. We, called y-your people fallen stars. Humans, call you C, Celessstials. I don't, know... I, I-I..." All eyes were suddenly on her and it was a bit much to handle the pressure. "I've, d-definitely read about, y-your kind before. S-Sssso, there... There mussst be recordsss back at the casstle! Yess! Uhm... " What did the passage say? She remembered reading it, she had definitely read something about them, what was it...

"AH! RIGHT!" The sudden proclamation stunned the spider, a flinch almost knocking her off of her stool.

"Goodness..."

"... Goodness is right, Erephis. Are you alright?" Lavinia hadn't ever seen the lamia like this. Was a Celestial really something to get so up in arms over?

"Have you dreamed sssince you landed!?" Erephis belted out the question so fast she almost bit her tongue. Almost.

"Wh, dreamed? Like, slept?" Lavinia was confused as to where this was going.

"Er, no, uh... L-Look, it was an old passage in an old b-book, it, sssaid that... Fallen ssstars visit each other in their dreamsss... It... I, I'll try and f-find the book when, we return, or, ask for it to b-be delivered, b, but... W, Well, that'sss, the best lead we'd have to g-go on..."

It felt like it was happening in slow motion. The stranger, unknown even to the captain, put her arm around Ayane's shoulder and then a glint of light off the metal revealed the blade to her throat. His hand started towards the hilt of his sword when he forced it to freeze. A hostile move like that, and Ayane's throat would be cut before he could even begin to close the distance. 

Close the distance. Yes, maybe that. His magic. If he could make that brilliant sword of magic appear, but... Behind her. He could hit her from behind, without her seeing it. No movement though. Just do it. He tried, eyes briefly closing, concentrating as hard as he could... And nothing. Eyes opened, not even a sparkle of light. The panic in his brain was too strong. He was suffering the consequences of his lack of control, just like Asami had warned. His shoulders fell, as he was left watching the scene play out, powerless.

The reaction Astraea got to her race being announced was... Unexpected. This snake lady was extremely confused and interested, leaving Astraea standing awkwardly while she circled around. Until she fell. Leaving Astraea feeling not only awkward but bad for being the cause of this.

Breathe in, breathe out. She reminded herself of the pattern she had repeated so many times in the cell. Breathe in, breathe out. Calm, patient, that was the way of a star. A fallen star apparently. Appropriate, given where she stood. Breathe in, breathe out. There. The panic she had been fighting this whole time, the worry, the grief. They were pushed back for now. Time for them would be later. For now, she needed to focus on what was in front of her. Breathe in, breathe out.

Speaking of what was in front of her, she had been asked a question. It took her a few seconds to remember what the question was, before her shoulders slumped and she sadly shook her head. "No... My dreams, they have been empty. I see a flash of color, a distant song, but no longer do I see dreams of this world, and no longer do I see my family. My friends do not visit anymore, I have lost them... B-but you know of our dreams. That must mean something. How could you know of them if someone was not here to tell you of them? Does that mean one of my family came down here?"

Edited by scorri

Jade nodded and replied, "If I don't make it in time, at Brasken's then." Then she stepped out of the stall and, after a couple handful of strides, turned to Gabriela to ask her opinion. She'd been listening to the love fortune as well, so it's not like she wouldn't have a decent enough grasp of the relevant situation. Maybe the siren would have some insights?

Slowing their pace to a crawl, headed absently toward the forge, the zombie stared at the ground between the two of them, just past their feet, as she asked, "What do you think, Gabriela? It is a powerful ring, and rather pretty, but... Do you think she would like it? Is it too much, too soon? Or maybe she has magic on her other gear and it wouldn't even get worn, hmmm..."

Edited by Balcerzak

Seems like things were fine among the group, which was good news for Ayane. "This girl is-" But before she could continue the introduction Ari took the initiative herself and stepped up. The atmosphere was enough to make the oni relax her guard...for a second too long. Before she knew it she was held at knife point, and the wielder in question was none other than Ari, the very person she escorted. "....." At first there was a look of shock on her face, a person she trusted for even the briefest of hours betrayed that trust. Then came another look: anger. The humiliation of being played and used, her of all people! The warrior princess of Izuna and proud heir of the Kusanagi tricked and trapped yet again. Ayane couldn't stand the embarrassment, letting a total stranger use her as a pawn and a hostage in front of her comrades. So she just gave her "friend" a glare, while her right hand clenched up and shook in fury. "...I swear you will regret this..."Ari"..."

She wanted to retaliate, but not with her oath of vengeance on the line. She had to live long enough to see Ouka dead and her honor restored, she couldn't die here. So for the moment she stayed where she was, but kept her glare on the masked knight waiting for a proper chance to turn the tables.

Edited by TheRoon

"Wait, really?" Xalrei did a double take, glancing back at Amera. She was as surprised as she was pleased by the news, staring at the cat in somewhat disbelief. The dragon knew there had to be some sort of ulterior motive for her sudden attitude shift from painfully hostile to helpful; however, as long as it wasn't something crazy like killing her, and she could get what she wanted out of Amera, Xalrei didn't really care that much. Would the training be rougher than it needed to be? Probably, but she'd take what she could get...

How quickly things can change. She'd turned her gaze of Ayane for a second to answer Amera, and now there was a knife at her throat! Her fists clenched, a solid glare settling onto the masked... human? No, humans didn't have magic like this, what... She had to help, but how? Acting would just provoke this 'Ari'... Would her eyes be enough? If she could get her arm, or even the knife... But Bladen was here, would he be able to put the pieces together? How would he react if he did? Besides Taliyah, he was the only friend she'd managed to make in this group, even if she did was well along the way with some of the others. She didn't want to risk that, but, this was someone else's life on the line. She had to risk it. She focused her glare squarely on Ari, stared really hard, tried to focus her magic, and... Nothing. No pink glow, no swell of magic, just a very angry looking dragon.

"Ah... alright." It seemed like Taliyah was already feeling enough. No need to be excessive, especially since this day was meant to soothe her. "There... thirty coins? That'll do." It was a fancy scarf, fair enough...

"Well," Agni stopped, speaking to the group in general, "What do you have in mind, now? I suppose we still have gifts to give, but with the recipient out and about... I think I'll be looking for something combat-worthy in the meantime. Anybody interested?"

Marina crossed her arms as she looked solemnly. Erephis' crazy talking was admittedly some form of scary and annoying, but it was harmless enough. But seeing Astraea so... distraught, it brought a pain to Marina. She didn't really have a response to the star's grief, so she just... watched for now.

Taiyute tilted a head, still confused to everything going on. To her, Erephis' words were gibberish. And that word, Celestial, Taiyute repeated it in her mind. "Miss Marina," she turned to the hero, "How had you come across to her?"

"A-ah, hmm... well, she was here. And I, well... made it my responsibility to help and guide her."

"I see, hmm..." the genasi pondered a bit, "I feel mother once spoken about the Celestials. Something like us, but... from a different plane. My knowing of the Celestials is... very vague, yes. Apologies."

"It's fine, it's a mystery to all of us. Mm..." Marina turned over, "Sir Seilan, do you know anything about them?"

Alas, money ruins it once again. Not having enough of it in this case, but can you ever have 'enough', really? The lamia told Jade that she had rented a room in the pub. How fancy, renting your own room in a pub. She must be quite well liked. Or have lots of money. Or both. As they walked out, Gabriela felt quite satisfied. Finally realizing what had happened to her clan... there was no doubt the fortune teller, whose name appeared to be Circe was genuine, as she knew details she couldn't have known if she was just fibbing. But what could she do about it? All she could really do is punish the traitors and make sure they pay for allying with the church, who are responsible for mass genocide. As her eyes got used to the sunlight after being in that tent for so long, Jade looked deep in thought. 

After a bit of a walk which seems to be towards the forge, Jade finally spoke up. It appears the ring was deep in her mind. It didn't take a microscope to know who the 'her' in Jade's conversation was. ''Hmm, you probably know her better than me, Jade. But in my honest opinion, she would like anything if it came from you. She looks absolutely smitten with you, you know. Why not give it a try? As long as you have the money, of course. She wouldn't want you to go broke for her sake, after all. I am a bit concerned about what she said about it breaking into pieces after being worn once or whatever it was she said... but you have until tonight at the pub to think of that. I'd love to go. Pubs have such a nice atmosphere, and there are LOTS of drinks.'' She winked at Jade.

Jade nodded, a small shy smile stretching across her face. "Nmmmh." Gabriela was right, and the zombie did have the money. Maybe she should think about it as an investment. Just, with much higher stakes than usual. And a much higher possible return.

It was decided then, and it sounded like the siren was interested in joining her visit to the pub as well. In that case, Jade had an idea. "Tell you what? Bring Ren along, and I'll make sure Lavinia comes too." All the sooner to give her the gift. "We'll make it a double date. That sounds fun, doesn't it?"