Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

It didn't take long for the walls to be breached once the assault started properly. It seemed it was time to start things properly... luckily, one of the ballista had softened up a lamia archer... were those arrows poisoned? Nasty business, that... slinking forward, Nisha knocked an arrow, taking careful aim before loosing it,

"No offense, but you've gotta go, and I think I'm a better shot than you~"

Nisha to 7,30, Curved Shot Archer 6 with the Iron Bow

"Blast... I had hoped for more time... oh well, nothing to do about it now." Nessraya grumbled... she had hoped to dismantle the enemy siege installations while the walls held but it seemed some of them would need to be left standing while they manned the breaches.

"Someone plug that chokepoint! We can't allow them to storm the city!" Nessraya noted, as a beastfolk approached her, looking for direction. Suki was her name, apparently.

"Do what you can to keep them out of the walls without throwing your life away, Suki."

Nessraya to 5,31, Fire Axe Armour 3

Edited by Ether

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nisha nocks an arrow... And fires!
Roll: 43,85
20 damage!
The archer dies!
Nisha gains +34 exp, +2 bow wexp!

Nessraya toasts a man in his own oven!
Roll1: 40,67
24 damage!
Nessraya strikes 'im down!
Roll2: 84,52
24 more damage!
Nessraya gains +4 exp, +3 anima wexp!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Marina had been moving downward, and was surprised to see the gates had fallen. Her body tensed, but... she was the one leading the way to the front. Nodding to confirm herself she was fine, she made her way to a nearby house she heard noises from.

"Hello?" She asked, as she knocked on the door, forcing it open. "Please, make your way to safety, the enemy has broken through!"

Marina moves to 12, 26 and visits the house!

Taiyute gazed at the things she had recieved from the house. She heard a bit about what these were. She didn't recall the name, but they were 'stabby fists'. Her smile widened, excited to try these out on an enemy.

Suddenly, a refreshing feeling from the fox lady. A nod, "Many thankings, miss Asami," she thanked as she took the advice from her to assist Seilan. She rushed her way forward, deciding to take down the nearest knight. A stomp, the air growing more fierce around her, it was time to test her newest spell.

Taiyute moves to 25,30, and blasting Lance Knight 1 with Elwind.

An aged ring, huh... at least this house was taken care of already. Good.

Agni left the house promptly, seeing others move into position as the walls were sieged down. "Ah, crap..." An armored bowman had set his sight on him, and that damn arrow landed, but that was thankfully eased up by the effects of his new spell. Dark aura-like wisps pierced the knight and a faint red-ish light returned to Agni... a spell that could absorb another's life. Quite a good purchase, past self.

Now, there was still some more energy he needed to recover from that wound...

Agni to 6,30, casts nosferatu on Bow Armor #3!

The house had already been evacuated, but a sword had been left sitting against a table...

Marina gets a Wind Edge!
(Please deposit something into convoy)

Taiyute blows that knight away!
Roll1: 26,27
18 damage!
The knight throws a javelin!
Roll: 33,80
21 damage!
Taiyute fires another spell!
Roll2: 42,74
18 damage
The knight is slain!
Taiyute gains +37 exp, +3 anima wexp!
Taiyute levels up!

48	48	67	20	38	16	4	25

HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Lck/Def!

Agni rushes the bow armor!
Roll1: 15,27(3)
Ignis!
18 damage!
Roll2: 32,31(91)
14 damage!
Down goes the knight!
Agni is healed to 21 hp!
Agni gains +30 exp, +3 dark wexp!

Choke that point, the general had said. Nobody else seemed to be stepping up to the plate, so that meant it fell to her, huh? Jade pulled out her trusty rifle, hoping to catch out one of the mages from beyond its effective range.

Jade to 3,29 fire Rifle at Mage #6

"Xalrei!?" Asami shouted after the dragon as she placed herself directly in harm's way, with Requiem in hand! "What are you doing!?" That damn Laselia had better be watching! Ugh, youth...! Why is it so bullheaded!? Asami could do nothing but watch as the dragon held herself in front of an entire enemy squadron...

Marina was doing the right thing by checking on the houses to see if anyone was around... But charging forward so far was reckless. "Marina, pull back! We need a better foothold to fight a squadron of that size!" They'd get pincered at this rate... They needed to consolidate together!

Lavinia moves to 9,30!

"Y-Yes! Amera always say, be safe! I stay safe!"

Suki moves to 6,29!

"M-Marina!" Taliyah had followed after her, worried about the girl, running so far ahead.

Taliyah moves to 11,26!

"We, we should, uhm-- L-Lavinia is right! We should, get back to the o-other group!"

"Grrhhh... So they've broken through the walls. Alright then... Time to crack some skulls!

Amera is now active!
She moves to 16,34!

Enemy Phase/Turn 2!

Archer #1 takes a shot at Xalrei!
Roll: 26,2
5 damage!

Mage #1 fires at Xalrei!
14 damage!

Bow Armor #1 fires on Bladen!
Roll: 21,91
12 damage!

Archer #2 moves and fires on Xalrei!
Roll: 30,55
4 damage!

Sword armor #1 swings at her, trying to take her down!
Roll: 84,45
Miss!
Xalrei swings back hard!
Roll1: 95,3
Crushed!
33 damage!
The armor is slain!
Xalrei gains +24 exp, +2 lance wexp!

Sword Armor #2 moves in and tries to take her out!
Roll: 100,87
Gigantic miss!
Xalrei swings back, bruised and battered!
Roll1: 87,44
12 damage!
Roll2: 75,66
12 damage!
Xalrei gains +10 exp, +2 lance wexp!
Xalrei levels up!

27	18	46	89	38	19	94	74

HP/Str/Spd/Lck!

Mage #3 moves up and fires on Ballista #1!
Roll1: 27,58
12 damage!
Roll2: 42,55
12 damage!

Ballista #1 moves up and fires on our Ballista #1!
Roll: 1,93
9 damage!
The Ballistician is killed!

Sword Armor #4 takes a swing at Ballista #4!
Roll1: 79,67
10 damage!
Roll2: 70,62
10 damage!

Mage #4 moves up and fires on Ballista #4!
Roll1: 4,48
14 damage!
The Ballistician is killed!

Sword Armor #6 moves and swings at Suki!
Roll: 85,36
miss!
Suki swings back!
Roll: 17,24
9 damage!
Suki gains +11 exp, +1 swords wexp!

Mage #5 moves over and blasts Suki!
Roll1: 59,44(54)
Roll2: 42,24(75)
26 damage!
"Bwaghh...!"
Suki is down!

Sword Armor #5 swings at Jade!
Roll: 6,73
7 damage!
Jade fires back!
Roll: 18,93
11 damage!
Jade gains +10 exp, +2 gun wexp!

Archer #5 shoots at Jade!
Roll: 47,26
1 damage!
Jade fires back!
Roll: 20,73
18 damage!
Jade gains +10 exp, +2 gun wexp!

NPC Phase/Turn 2!

Ballistician #2 fires at Mage #1!
Roll: 89,11
miss!

Ballistician #6 fires at Archer #2!
Roll: 90,16
Miss!

Ballistician #3 fires at Mage #5!
Roll: 61,95
16 damage!

Ballistician #5 fires at Mage #5!
Roll: 82,43
Miss!

Player Phase/Turn 3!

ZrHyg2e.png

Spirited as their defense may have been, it couldn't keep them out of the walls. The fighting was inevitably going to move to the streets... hopefully the citizens were out of the way by now.

Seilan to (26, 31), Elthunder(S) Mage 1.

Taiyute definitely felt something heavy impact on her body, but it seemed ignorable. Finishing off her current opponent, in awe of the strength of her new tome, she had noticed a particular issue. A long stick portruding from her. Looking down, it had seemed the spear thrown at her lodged itself in her body. 

I knew it felt stiff, and Taiyute simply removed the weapon, dropping it to the floor. Thankfully the energies around patched her body up decently. It was time to shift focus, as she approached her next victim. 

Yeet to 27,29, Elwinding Bow Armor #1

The action was so close, Ayane could feel her blood rise a little. 'I can't wait any longer...!' She hastened her steps to get into the thick of it, her sword drawn and ready for battle. She cursed her lack of mobility to get into the thick of it sooner. If only she had a horse...

Ayane rushes toward 25, 31.

Seilan takes a step back before blasting that enemy mage with magic!
Roll1: 35,36
20 damage!
The mage is fried!
Seilan gains +34 exp, +2 anima wexp!

Taiyute slinks over with her wounded body to put another armor into the dirt!
Roll1: 86,42
Roll2: 40,94
Taken out!
Taiyute gains +34 exp, +3 anima wexp!

"My, taking so long to get to the battle... I do wonder how interested in this fight you are, little oni." Asami slips up behind Ayane and gives her a little pep dance~
Asami to 25,30, dance Ayane
+10 exp

move towards 25,29 and use Flux on Sword Armor #2

Had it been this easy before?  Attacking without a second thought, going for the kill before her foe even knew what hit them?  As she watches the creeping darkness she called forth form before directing it towards her target, Bridgit sighs through her nose as she tucks that feeling into the mental lockbox she's already placed her first kill and the ones after it.

She's always been good at compartmentalizing, and this will be no different.

Seeing the fox dance and taunt her got Ayane upset again. Yet despite that, she also had a burst of adrenaline. Whether it was from the magical dance or motivation to get away from Asami was anybody's guess. "Hmph. Just watch yourself around me, fox. My bladework is dangerous." With that "warning" the oni rushed forth once again, brandishing her Iron Blade toward an unsuspecting archer.

Ayane rushes to 25, 27 and swings her Iron Blade out at Archer #2!

Ayane charges the archer down!
Roll1: 49,91(80)
Roll2: 49,97(91)
34 damage!
Slain!
Ayane gains +34 exp, +6 sword wexp!

Father

Agni was cute. Pretty even... Maybe beautiful? Definitely handsome. Even when he was asleep... He probably wouldn't have appreciated Taliyah sneaking into his room, creeping up to his bed, and even climbing on top to watch him rest...

No, he'll definitely be upset at me. But I can't help myself. I'm panicking. I'm freaking out, and I have no one else to turn to... He listened to me, last time. He was so kind and comforting, he's been so nice... This is fine, right? I can tell him why, right? Tali didn't move, curled up atop his blankets, resting on his stomach... Her tail did, though, gently poking the tip against his face. She noticed, but didn't follow up on it... Not for a good moment.

"A-Agni...?" Her voice felt so loud, even if she was whispering, with how quiet the inn was. "Can... I, I need to talk to you, about s-something... Please. It's really important... W... W-Well, one of the things, is important." The other thing wasn't important at all. Part of her felt she was getting too far ahead of herself to ask it, but her brain was pushing her to go for it. False confidence from the gifts and compliments, perhaps...

"Hnn..." Agni wasn't an especially heavy sleeper, but after this long day, he'd been out quick since arriving in his room. His frame moved for in reaction to the pokes at his face, turning it away, but that didn't rouse him from his sleep. Only after Taliyah's voice resounded, that Agni started opening his eyes.

His body spasmed for a moment, a reaction in surprise to seeing an uninvited guest to his bed. The sight alerted him, raising his torso in a sudden movement. "I-" Even after Agni could make out who it was, his heart was still alarmed, and he took fast breaths. "Taliyah, goodness..." She had something to speak of, he caught that part. Probably serious, considering the time. It was just a moment that Agni needed to calm himself.

"Hah... go ahead. I'll be fine, just..." He didn't need to fill the obvious, shaking his head.

"Wah!" Tali hadn't expected the sudden movement, squeaking and clinging onto him to avoid falling off the bed. "Ahhh... I'm, I-I'm sorry, I... I couldn't... B-Before I knew it my, my tail was already picking your lock, a-and I..." With a pout and a dejected look away from Agni, she didn't try to excuse herself any further.

"I... Am... Am I, cute?" She wanted to go here first. If this turned out poorly, then she couldn't even begin to discuss the actual serious topic that she had brought to speak to him with. "Am... I a-attractive? What, d-do, do you think about me...? I..." With a heavy gulp, she sat up on him, letting her tail sway behind her. "Everyone has been s-so nice to me... You, and Marina, especially. I can't stop thinking about y-you, Agni... I, I just..."

With a huff, she finally managed to look at him, blushing furiously. "I... I-I..." You can do it, Taliyah... You can do it! "I like... You. In... Th-That, way..." All the air in her lungs left her, taking a moment to gasp it all back in, closing her eyes. "If that's gross that's okay...! If you h, hate me for this, that's, okay...! I, I just I can't... I can't stay quiet, ab-about it, anymore, I-I... This is the best, I've felt in years. The happiest I've b-been, in years... So I, I just..." She was starting to go in circles, unsure what else to add.

"...Huh?" The trailing was expected, but the turn the conversation went to... was not. Never would've Agni guessed Taliyah wanted to talk to him about that urgently, of all things, if she was attractive... It was particularly egregious this late at night.

"Oh, Taliyah..." Agni rationalized it, despite how the timing bothered him. Taliyah wasn't the most sociable person before, from what he knew of her. All of this was a new experience to her, surely--

Then she followed it up with a confession. Something that layered on the gravity of the situation. "Ah..." That... that was too much to process after just waking up. Still, Agni realized that if he didn't do anything, she'd probably assume the worst, as she so often did.

"Taliyah... it's not gross, don't think those things." He reached out a hand to pat her head, a tired sigh escaping him, then a chuckle. "You sure picked a time to say this, though, ah..." His shoulders slumped, "You're asking me to think on it when my mind still wants to sleep." And sure enough, if he kept thinking about it, sleepiness would set in again...

"No, it's fine, I like that you had the guts to say it, Taliyah. I haven't... I'll be honest, I haven't thought that far as you did in this matter." He leaned over, "But I feel good, I feel proud that you think so much of me." As much as Agni was scrambling to gather his thoughts, this felt true to speak.

He wasn't calling her gross. The opposite, in fact. He liked that she was brave enough to say it? Her face was burning up, she'd expected to be spurned and barked at, not praised and smiled at. Diving into a tight hug, she his her face against him, shivering hard. She had to calm down. She had more to talk about...

"Th... Th-Thank, you..." she mumbled, whispered, squeaked out. It was so hard for her to believe that Agni was being positive about this, that when she finally pulled herself away from him, she slapped herself! "O-Ow... Ahh, th-this is, real. Wow... I'm not dreaming. I'm awake a-and you're really... Okay, w, with, this..."

She shrunk a bit, staring at his face, trying to read what he was thinking in the moonlight. Was he lying? How did he really feel? What, besides getting back to sleep, was he thinking?

Taliyah's reaction was so ecstatic for her own usual self, Agni couldn't help another chuckle as her whole world seemed to be rocked by... him not finding her gross.

He'd pat her head again if it wouldn't become a repetitive thing to do every time Taliyah did something endearing. "I haven't changed my opinion of yours for the worse, you know? Take your time, Taliyah. You don't need to rush anything." Something as simple as acceptance... he could give her that. "Was that what was keeping you up?"

"Ah... I-I... One of the, things..." Taliyah shrank a bit, sitting up on him properly, gently rubbing her cheek. "Agni... Uhm... I'm, g-gonna start talking. Please... Listen."

Taliyah took a deep breath... And then a few minutes passed. Finally, she spoke. "My... Mom. Tamara. She... M-My dad used to like, humans. They got, married... D-Despite protests from people she knew. She, was from Coteon. Uhm... Th-They had me. We were a happy family." Taliyah smiled... Then sniffled, and shook her head.

"Sh-She went to visit them, one day... Told, d-dad, to stay home, because they'd attack him. Because he's a m-monster... Lizardfolk, a-are... All the scales s-scare, humans. Uh... Sh-She didn't come back." Tali's small smile faded, instantly. "He found out, l-later that they... Tortured her. Cut, her up... Put h-her... On, a s-stake..." Her shoulders began to twitch and shiver, as tears formed.

"They killed her. For... For b-being with, my dad. Did, e-everything they could... To get information, out of her. Just to get t-to him...!" She'd started crying at this point. It was difficult for her to keep speaking. "He used t-to be so nice! He cared... S-So much, and then, the world, j, just... Coteon just..."

Hiccups and sniffled echoed through his room, as her claws wiped at her eyes. "... He c-can't, look at me because I, I have her face. He can't... E-Ever, forgive any humans... b-because of what, they took f, from him. We have to kill, him... But he's s-still, my dad... Wh... What, do I do...?"

"So, your mother perished because of those in Coteon?" A distressful thought, but not something he could say he was surprised to hear about, at this point. Agni closed his eyes, a silent sigh escaping him. In different circumstances, he'd be one of the crowd berating her mother.

All it took was a different turn of events... and yet, now he could sympathize with her instead.

"What was done to your mother was unforgivable, I can understand what ire that brought to your father. Still... I don't know where his thoughts are, I have to confess." It wouldn't do to shower Taliyah in hollow positivity. Agni just wasn't that kind of person, anyways. "To forgive is not to forget, although I'd say forgiving is not the right term here... he's driving his own people into war against the Qu--King's sympathizers. Maybe we can snap some sense into him... maybe we can't. You have the best shot of all of us, Taliyah."

"I will say, if it ever comes to that, you don't need to draw your blade against your father. You don't need to be present, should you rather not..."

"I, I have the best, shot?" She didn't see how... She'd tried before. That was when he'd thrown her out and sent her off... She thought he'd sent her off to die, but... Why did he do that...? I don't understand... She hadn't died. Survived, been picked up by Nessraya's group-- Marina's group... He couldn't have anticipated that. This was a stroke of luck, but if they were backing her, could he listen to what she had to say?

"I'll... I'll, t-try. To talk to him... B-But... That, I, I can't. I can't fight, my own... Father." Taliyah shrunk. She could only hope that Agni wasn't disappointed in her by saying that, but he'd offered it, so surely it was fine.

"... I'm s-sorry, again. For waking you, up... For all of this. And... Th-Thank you, for what you, h, had to say." Taliyah leaned in and hugged him again, less frantically than she had in the past, following her greed for this kind of comfort.

"Of course, I don't think anybody in the group can blame you for not wanting to fight your father. I'll make sure you won't be put through it." Agni reached for her again as she shrunk, patting her head. "Don't worry about it, I'll go back to sleep soon enough. You should rest too, though. I hope this was enough to help." He offered a charitable, muted smile back to the lizard girl.

"Ca... Ca-Can I stay here, again? I... If, it makes you uncomfortable, b-because I made clear... H, How I feel that's... I understand, I just... Mmn..." After all that, she didn't want to go to back to her room and be alone with her thoughts. At least if she was here, she could fill her head with Agni...

...Agni had no willpower to shoo Taliyah, with her rough story and pleading eyes. "As long as you get enough sleep, of course. You can stay." He reassured her.

"... O-Okay. I... Th, Thank you, Agni." Taliyah made herself comfortable, taking a moment to sneak under his blanket, hugging up next to him. She wouldn't force an answer... As far as Taliyah was concerned, saying what she had was good enough for her. Even if Agni never replied, or turned her down, having the will to say it in the first place felt like a step in the right direction for herself. Finding that courage.

Marina froze a bit, as the forces approached, and she was being told from both Taliyah and Lavinia to pull back. Maybe... no, they were right.

"O-Okay, sorry, right." She affirmed, giving Taliyah a quick pat on the head. "We're gonna pull back, okay? But help me out just a little bit." She smiled at the other girl, "I promise, we'll be okay." And she was off, back towards the fort.

Marina moves to 15,28, equips the Steel Sword

Bladen engages in POT ROAST!

There's still some left!

Erephis moves to 25,26, takes down the priest!
Roll1: 98,96
16 damage!
Roll2: 44,4
Destroyed!
Erephis gains +10 exp, +2 dark wexp!

Gabriela saw the forces approaching and infiltrating the town. Things were getting bad. She saw that the hero, as well as her good friend Taliyah needed some help, so she flew right over. ''Hello, ladies. Let's take these thugs down together, shall we?''

Gabriela flies to 13,28.

Xalrei took a deep breath as she stared at the hole the group had torn into the encroaching monsters, her grip on Requiem tightening as she was already moving to act as a stop gap. She didn't even hear Asami. Taiyute had taken a hefty counter even if she'd downed her opponent. There was the matter of the fire mage to deal with-- Xalrei remembered the genasi telling her that she didn't get along well with fire. Part of her wondered, even as she readied her stance in front of the armored beastfolk, that if she shouted out who she was and ordered them to stop if they would listen. There was no way, right? Laselia would probably slap her hand over her mouth before she could get it out anyway.

They were moving again. Xalrei braced herself for pain, well aware of the barrage that was coming her way. She wasn't quick enough to dodge the fire ball aimed at her, eyes shut as the flames washed over and scorched her scales. Then an arrow in her side, followed by another in her shoulder before her eyes were back open. She was dizzy on her feet and she hadn't even started swinging Requiem yet. The sword from the knight was easy to deflect, a hasty blow aimed at a target that shouldn't have still been standing. Such was his blunder that Requiem found his visor, the cursed weapon killing him in an instant, only for another to take his place. That swing went completely wide, perhaps unnerved by the sight of his comrade's swift death at such a fearsome looking weapon. Xalrei didn't really care, at least she was still conscious enough to drive Requiem into the joints of his armor enough to get him to back off.

As she caught her breath there was another flurry of activity, everyone eager to finish off the enemies on their side. All that was left was an archer and the approaching swordmen... Requiem would surely yell at her, but she didn't think she could stay standing if the damn thing took more of her life force. Slipping her brass knuckles on, it wasn't hard to pummel the archer until they stopped standing.

Xalrei moves to 24-26, brass knuckles Archer #1.

Edited by Ursali

Ren to 25,31

Ren simply watches the interaction between Asami and Ayane with a blank expression.  Then his brows furrow, before closing his eyes and sighing as he finds himself next to the fox.  "Bets on how many of her buttons you can push at the same time?" he offers, voice low enough to where only Asami could hear him while he keeps on facing forward.  Probably not his brightest moment but...oh well.  His self preservation is at an all time low.