Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Once again everyone had jumped in to clean up the mess of the enemy. Considering how Bladen looked, it was probably for the best that he hadn't had to finish the mercenaries off himself. She caught his jump into the air, but not the reason why, so she briefly joined him in the air. Her wings worked overtime to get her high enough with her armor still on and, as soon as she saw what Bladen had seen, Xalrei immediately wished she'd saved the energy she'd put into that for what she was going to do to this 'Hero'. Landing with a thump, she barely heard Bladen's voice, already moving south to confront Ariana: exactly what he didn't want her to do.

Where it not for his mention of a village out there, and the chance they were in danger, she would've continued her charge right at Ariana and her men. Veering a bit off to the right, so she could talk with Bladen, she did her best to apply her vulnerary to her wounds. "I'm not letting you go down there alone, then! What if they see you and break off to kill you? I'm not letting that happen! And if you're so worried about me, just protect me like you said you would!"

26,23, vuln self

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The threat on this end nearly spent, and Agni claiming responsibility for the rest, Jade faltered for a moment. Part of her contemplated grabbing him and running along, passing him off to someone further ahead and letting the enemies fall upon her as a rear guard. But then a new girl also pushed her way forward to join him, and a plan to grab her as well would be too much of a bother to figure out. Too much time lost. Better to just follow Lavinia and the general. But not before firing a parting shot.

Jade glacial gun lance armor #3, canto to 9,30

Enemy Phase/Turn 4!

Cavalier #13 charges Lavinia!
Roll1: 14,51
9 damage!
Roll2: 52,88
Miss!
Cantos away!

Cavalier #14 charges Lavinia!
Roll1: 78,98
Miss!
Roll2: 20,91
9 damage!
Cantos away!

Axe Armor #2 charges in!
Roll: 71,32
Miss!

Archer #4 charges Seilan!
Roll: 6,31
13 damage!

Merc #4 swings at Agni!
Roll1: 31,80
18 damage!
Agni swings back!
Roll1: 100,51(56)
11 damage!
Roll2: 65,75(51)
11 damage!
Agni gains +10 exp, +2 hidden wexp!

Merc #3 swings at Holy Guard #8!
Roll: 31,25
Holy Guard is slain!

Merc #1 swings at Holy Guard #7!
Roll: 97,61
Miss!
Holy Guard swings back!
Roll: 17,14
16 damage!

NPC Phase/Turn 4!

Ballista #2 fires at Archer #4!
Roll: 23,56
14 damage!

Ballista #6 fires at Archer #4!
Roll: 22,16
14 damage!
Archer #4 is slain!

Ballista #5 fires at Merc #4!
Roll: 11,29
10 damage!
Merc #4 is slain!

Ballista #3 fires at Axe Armor #2!
Roll: 96,45
Miss!

Other Phase/Turn 4!

"Out of the way!"
Ariana swings at Merc #3!
Roll: 62,68
Destroyed!

Holy Guard #1 swings at Merc #1!
Roll: 27,84
12 damage!
Merc #1 swings back!
Roll: 12,47
6 damage!

Holy Guard #3 swings at Merc #1!
Roll: 23,85
Merc #1 is slain!

Holy Guard #9 heals Holy Guard #1 back to full!

Enemy Cavaliers spawn!

Player Phase/Turn 5!

csuyhDB.png

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

The arrival of reinforcements was less than ideal. Frowning, Bladen shook his head. There was no good way to deal with this. "Xal, head into the woods. I'll circle around, hopefully we can split them up a bit and focus them down."

Bladen to 29-18, nom the pot roast

Being all juggled around like that by Marina and Taliyah wasn't a feeling she was used to, or particularly liked for that matter. Normally, it was her that moved people around. Oh well, it was time for more magic!

Gabriela to 15-32, and blasts cavalier 15 with her magic!

The arrow wound looked bad - was bad - but he knew enough about battlefield wounds to know that this wasn't critical, though the next might be. He certainly wouldn't be getting any closer to the enemy, though; and there was a house over there that looked conspicuously unsecured...

Seilan Elthunder (S) Lance Armor #2, Hit & Away to (20, 27).

Gabriela goes zip zap
Roll: 33,97
12 damage!
Gabriela gains +11 exp, +1 light wexp

Seilan blasts an armor knight!
Roll: 6,56
24 damage!
Seilan gains +10 exp, +1 anima wexp

"Enough of waiting, get outta my town!"
Amera to 10-28, zappy zap Cav #13!
Roll1: 70,12
Critical!
54 damage!
"And stay out!"
The cav is totaled!
Amera gains +37 exp, +2 brawling wexp

"Errr... I, I hope you'll be okay, Marina..." The girl still wasn't talking, leaving Taliyah rather worried-- But something had caught her eye amidst the fight... A blue glint in one of the cavalier's satchels? "Mmmm... I-I'll be right back, okay?"

Tali to 16-32, yoink blue gem!

"S-Sorry! This is, ours now!"
+10 exp

Ayane's eyes caught a certain priest running behind his platoon, an easy mark. She drew her blade and made a leap toward the man of the cloth, intending to cleave him in two.

Ayane approaches 18, 30 and attacks Priest 2 with her Iron Blade.

Edited by TheRoon

"You don't have to tell me twice!" With the closest thing to Bladen's blessing that she'd get, not that she necessarily felt that she needed it, Xalrei focused for second. Her limbs began to crackle with electricity, lighting coursing over her scales, and then she was off in a mad dash for the woods, striking out at the mounted monster once she was safe behind cover.

26,18, attack the cav.

What Are We

They had... Done it. It hadn't exactly been bad... Who am I kidding, that was great! Ugh... What a mess... H-How does she, even feel about me? They'd started off so thorny, arguing with each other, but that fight in the woods had brought them together to survive against those oni, and now... Sollowy had helped with her wings and even if it had been a heated, spur of the moment, they'd had se... s-seee... Uhhhhghhh! I can't even think about this without losing it! Dammit! Hess dammit! Hel and brimstone, fire and wrath, why did I do that!? She was just... I, was just... We... AGH!

Thesephine threw herself against her bed, groaning hard into the sheet. "I have to talk to her." That was the final straw, really. Thesephine had to organize these feelings. She didn't want to this to be some one and done situation. Even if she was so busy with meetings and dealing with these trees, she had to make time to sort this out. It wouldn't take long, right? She was waiting on replies from letters sent out, anyway... Some would more likely than not visit personally for a proper meeting. "Okay... Okay, then. I need to find her, and t-talk to her about this. We need, to... I, I need to..."

What the hell do I even think about her, anyway? Sollowy was... Frustrating. Very stubborn, very pushy, and always trying to get her way... But... Given her, mission, it made a bit of sense. Aside from that, she was... She's, really cute. Caring... Sensitive, and, even if we argue, it never lasts long. We manage to calm down, we come to terms... I... I really like being around her, is, is this how love forms? I don't understand how this is supposed to work. I never saw mom and dad enough... I... Nessraya was, not a good example, either. Ugh... All I know is Lavinia, but, but that... That ended so poorly, she never talks about it. I couldn't possibly ask her, either.

"We... We talk, then." Thesephine picked herself up, flapped her still growing wings, and headed for the door of her bedroom. She had to find her and talk to her. There was something here... Something she wanted to go after. Something that she was deciding for herself. Sorry, Suryd... But, if this is real, I want it. I'm going to fight for it.

Sollowy sat on her bed in her room, staring at the pack she'd assembled in the center of her room; within it all of her worldly possessions, save the clothes on her back. It had been there for roughly three days, presenting her with an internal dilemma that she shouldn't be facing. She should leave. Should've left a week ago, right after she'd gotten back from the Great Tree near Attisio. Her mission wouldn't wait for her. Yggdrasil's chance of dying before she was ready increased everyday she dallied, and the longer she stayed the harder it was to leave.

It was too late to avoid hurting Thesephine. Far too late. With what had happened those few days ago, and the awkwardness of their interaction since, the tiny Demon King clearly felt something for her. She needed to leave before Thesephine worked up the courage to confront her, say something that would make leaving impossible. But, yet, somewhere along the way she'd messed up; she'd let herself get attached to the headstrong girl that had greeted her with mockery.

Her brain told her to leave, that her mission was too important to let something like this stop her. But her heart, oh her heart, it wavered. It whispered dangerous thoughts of staying, that Thesephine could provide her enough magic, that she didn't deserve to have her future decided for her. Thus there the fairy sat, paralyzed with indecision, inaction the only action that her torn halves could agree upon.

Thesephine had thought far too many things as she walked through the halls towards the room Sollowy was staying in. What she'd say, what needed to be said, how real these feelings were... What these feelings were. "It's not just lust, is it? It can't just be lust, I'd recognize lust. I know a LOT about lust... The Tryxyss family has made sure of that." Thesephine blushed and shook her head. No time to be thinking about them now.

"Ugh... Here goes! Don't care! Sollowy!!" Thesephine was at her door, slamming a claw into it heavily. "We need to talk! Now! Urgently! I don't care what you're doing in there... O-Open up!" If she didn't... Thesephine would take that as her cue to break it off here. They'd had their heated moment, their fling, if the gathlain didn't want to continue things then she'd leave the door shut... That's a terrifying thought. Oh no... Please open.

"A-Ah! Th, Thesephine...!?" Sollowy nearly jumped off of her bed and right into the ceiling. "Pl, Please wait a second!" She couldn't let Thessy see the pack in the middle of the room, that would bring too many questions she didn't want to answer. Ah, where do I hide it!? It won't fit under the bed, ahhhhhh! For a brief few seconds the only sounds coming from Sollowy's room were of panicked reshuffling until finally a door to something was opened then slammed shut.

A few seconds later Sollowy floated over to the door and opened it, Thesephine staring right at her from the other side. "Wh-What did you want to talk about, Thessy? Aren't you usually busy during this time of the day...?"

There she was... After some awkward noises, but whatever it was, it hadn't taken her more than a moment... Then, there. There she was. Thesephine stared at her for a hard moment, slowly blushing. Thoughts were trying to turn into words, she couldn't make them into what she wanted to say. "I... J-Just, you... We..." In her frustrations, she gave up. Pushing into the room, she pulled the gathlain into a hug and kissed her, shutting the door behind her with her tail.

"Is everything alright, Thessy?" Her silence was unexpected with how aggressively she'd announced herself... She wasn't feeling sick again was she? Her wings had just grown in, maybe they were still doing something? Her face looked a little red too... "'We'? What about u-- Mhhmph!?" Whatever she was about to say, whatever she was thinking, flew right out of Sollowy'd head as Thesephine pulled her into a kiss. As her cheeks tinged maroon Sollowy slowly wrapped her arms around the medusa's back and head, returning her hug and deepening their kiss. Who am I kidding? There's no way I could ever just up and leave her without saying anytihng...

"Mmn, hahh... Wh... Wh-What, is this!?" As the kiss broke and Thesephine blushed, her frustrations came to a head. "How do we feel about each other!? Is this just lust!? Is it a crush? I don't know, it's making me angry, and I'm honestly kind of scared... We... W-We need to talk about our relationship. We need to figure out where we're going from now on..." She slowly let go of the fairy and moved towards her bed, sitting on the edge of it.

"I... S-Sorry, for running in and, kissing you. I just... Was overwhelmed. I needed to do something stupid to wake my brain up. Sorry, again... Wh-What about you? Are you struggling with any of this? Is it just me...?"

"So, that's what that kiss what about, huh?" So Thesephine was still sorting her feelings, huh...? That's why she had been so awkward these past few days. She didn't know what she was feeling, nor how she should be feeling. That's what was so urgent. Slowly Sollowy floated over to her bed, taking a seat right next to Thesephine and cautiously seeking out her claw. "You're forgiven, Ms. Ambush Kisser," she said with a light giggle, unable to resist the tease.

"I..." A heavy sigh followed, Sollowy turning to stare into Thesephine's eyes. If Thessy was being serious, then she needed to be too. "I, I have been struggling these past few days, too, Thessy. About my feelings, about what I want, about what I should-- What I need to do, I..." Another sigh, and a shake of her head. "You go first. What do you think you're feeling?"

"H-Hey..." Thesephine huffed over the tease, letting Sollowy finish... It didn't amount to much, leaving her to once again return to the feelings she wasn't understand. She squeezed the fairy's hand, leaning onto her shoulders. "I... I, just want to spend time with you. You're really stubborn and, and sometimes we fight, but... I-It, it doesn't, hurt? I, whenever we have those dumb little arguments, I get over them so quickly, they don't even bother me... A-And you've been looking out for me over these past weeks. A lot."

Thesephine sighed. "Is that love? I don't know... I don't know anything about love. I've been surrounded by succubi, lovers that have lost, and a fox that wouldn't tell me anything for my entire life... All I know is what I'm supposed to do to run the country. So this... Feeling, I'm scared of it. I don't know if I'm just horny for you, or if I want more than that. The... Kiss, probably wasn't a good way to start, when I'm this confused, but I got stuck on my words... Wh-What about you? I can't do all the talking."

"Mhm." Sollowy let Thesephine have all of her attention, squeezing her claw and leaning her head against hers. "I can say the same thing about you, you know? I enjoy the time we spend together, even if it's fighting, teasing, or whatever. More than I have with anyone else. And geez, where do you get off calling me the stubborn one? You're at least as bad, if not more so..." Sollowy couldn't suppress her subsequent grumble, nor her sigh. "You've been helping me out plenty too, but it's not like I can say I was just paying you back..."

As much as she didn't want to, Sollowy carefully untangled herself from Thesephine and stood up, facing the girl on her bed head on. "I, don't know anything about love, either, Thessy. All I've ever known is lust, that's just how Gathlains are... But, I do know that I, I want to be with you. Spend more time with you, get to know you better... I don't know if that's love, either. But I, I," shouldn't stay. It was her turn for her words to falter, unable to say what she ought to say.

"... You're still worried about your duty to Yggdrasil, right?" Thessy took her hands again, holding them tight. "I won't grandstand and say that I can solve everything by myself... But if we're going to try and figure out these emotions, I need you by my side. I'll do whatever I can to help you with the issue, Sollowy... I promise. We've already got some of them being addressed, that leaves Hwein and Coteon... One of those is easier said than done, but, it's a good start, right?" Hopefully it would help Sollowy worry less. The trees in Vaia were being protected and guarded as they spoke, they just had to find the person responsible and stop them... Much easier said than done.

"No, Thessy, you don't understand. You don't know what my real duty even is! You, even if you can sustain me, it's not enough... My mission is much bigger than me." It hurt to stare her in the eyes and shoot down her optimism, but she had to. She couldn't pretend nothing was wrong and lead Thesephine on. If she did it would shatter both of their hearts when she had to fulfill her duty. Head hung, Sollowy squeezed Thessy's claws tight.

"I, I lied to you, Thessy. My mission isn't to protect the Great Trees... I'm supposed to be taking their energy like those monsters were. Then, once I've gathered enough, I'm to become... Become the next Yggdrasil. Don't you see?" Tears welled up in her eyes hidden behind her fallen hair, droplets falling to the carpet below. "Even, even though I want to stay by your side, I can't! I, I should've..." left right away, but even then I wanted to stay!

"... I... I see." Thesephine's smile and confidence had faded, somewhat. This was a lot more than simple protection... "... N-No. No, there must be a reason why you were tasked to become the next Yggdrasil. We just, have to find out the reason why, and fix it. That's all, right?" She didn't quite know how these things were supposed to work, so it was on Sollowy to explain things.

"She's dying, Thessy. That's why I was given this mission. How can we fix that?" She was lost, truly. She felt cornered and weak, unable to keep the one thing she'd ever wanted with her everything. "If, if you have ideas, I.. I'll hear them out, but, you... You need to be, prepared, that one day I, I'll have to leave. F-Forever, maybe... I don't know what'll happen to 'me' wh-- I-If I become Yggdrasil..."

"She's dying? When did--" It flashed like lightning in her brain, Thessy's eyes going wide. "She's dying because of these onis that are attacking the other trees! Look, that's the only explanation, isn't it? They said they had some plan and needed their energy, that's got to be it. So we just... Stop them, save Yggdrasil, and then we can be together. Which is... All, a lot easier said than done. I'm not going to run away from that, though..."

Thesephine huffed and got off of the bed, claws on Sollowy's shoulders, staring her down. "I'm serious about you. About this. Whatever this feeling is, I want to see where it goes... I need to see where it goes. That means you've gotta stay alive, for the next several centuries." Thesephine smirked, she knew that her heritage was going to keep her running for far too long.

"So we'll fix this... Whatever it takes. Whoever's trying to kill the world tree poses a threat to the entire continent, anyway. We can band together and put a stop to things... Don't you think?"

"You... You sure are optimistic, Thessy." Finally, with a smile, Sollowy wiped her tears away, wrapping her arms around Thesephine and burying her face in her chest. She had long since resigned herself to her fate of becoming Yggdrasil; this feeling of hope was foreign to the young Gathlain. "Where did you get all of that confidence from, usually you're so moody..." Perhaps not the best time for a jab, but Sollowy was finally starting to feel better enough to make it.  

"But, c-centuries, really? Y-You're lucky I'm effectively immortal..." A sigh, and then a squeeze as she hugged Thesephine tighter. "I... Thank you, Thessy. I, I want to see where these feelings go, too. No matter how long I have to be by your side to figure them out. I'm, serious about you, too."

"Where? Who do you think I am, anyway? I'm the Demon King! Hmph!" Thesephine put her claws on her hips and smugly smiled down at Sollowy, grinning ever so cockily. "And when I want something, I'm going to put my heart and soul into getting it... No matter the issues that come along the way, even if I end up whining about it. So... S-So just, bear with me, as we figure this all out. All of it."

Her confidence was a decent act, but she meant every word, sighing just a bit as she came down from the moment. "We... Uhm, sh-should probably seriously, talk about... How we're going to g-go forward from now on. The... My council and other leaders in Vaia won't be, happy about this sort of development..."

"It's nice to see your boasts have sustenance after all this time, Thessy. I'm, a little happy it's all for me, too." As Thessy put on her best smug face Sollowy couldn't help but smile up at the girl, a giggle just barely suppressed. As serious as this was, Thessy's acting was a bit dorky, if reassuring. "Mhm. No matter what, we'll be together until the end, huh? At least, for the foreseeable future..."

A sigh of her own followed Thesephine's, Sollowy wasn't exactly excited to broach this subject. She'd already gotten plenty of dirty looks from any noble she was unfortunate enough to pass in the hallways. "I, I guess we should, do that. The nobles already don't like me that much. I'm sure, this won't help. I might, have to move into your room, for safety..."

Mrrh. I was already going to have you do that, anyway. It'll be fine... We'll make them see this isn't a mistake." Somehow... Thesephine wasn't sure how she was going to solve this one, but she would work on it all the same. "Come on... Let's, start moving your stuff into my room. We can discuss where we go after from there."

"Ahahah... About that, Thessy..." Sheepishly, Sollowy moved over to the wardrobe she'd stashed her stuffed to bursting pack into and retrieved her source of agony over the past few days. "I was, actually on the verge of leaving, because of how attached I am to you... I'm glad you came when you did. At least now we don't have to waste time gathering all of it, right?" An awkward, nervous laugh followed the question; Sollowy was at least a little worried about how Thesephine would take that bit of information.

"Y... Y-You what!?" Thesephine lost her cool immediately, huffing loudly. "Well! Glad I know I was agonizing over this while you were gonna run away on me! Jerk... Ugh, fine, whatever." With another huff and a bit of a scowl, Thesephine picked up the sack without issue, hauling it towards the entrance. "Come on, then. Let's get you setup... Then maybe I give you a little bit of a punishment for thinking about running off without a word."

"I, I wasn't going to just run away without saying anything about it!" Sollowy huffed back, as she crossed her arms. "I was agonizing too, you know... What do you think I've been doing these past there days?" With a small pout Sollowy floated after the agitated medusa, resting her crossed arms on her head as she walked. "P, Punishment!? If anything you still owe me for helping you so much, without asking for anything back..."

Edited by Ursali

Ayane kills an unarmed man!
Roll1: 92,84(24)
Miss!
Roll2: 52,46(98)
23 damage!
He's cleaved!
Ayane gains +34 exp, +4 sword wexp!

Xalrei RAMs Requiem into the cavalier!
Roll1: 78,1
CRITICAL!
51 damage!
His horse falls with him!
Xalrei gains +20 exp, +2 lance wexp!

Things seemed to be mostly under control on this flank, at this point. A few stragglers remained, but they should be easy enough to deal with using a simple pincer maneuver, clearing out the inner walls of Tepel, hopefully before the next wave crashed. If she could trust the others to pull that maneuver off, then she could focus on... ah yes, the last siege installation. It had been inching closer to try and get within range, but with where it was right now...

"Focus on clearing out what's left within the walls and taking up a defensive position! We've nearly reset our lost ground from the surprise assault!" Nessraya directed, before darting out from the line of homes, towards the last ballista. Closing the distance to get within it's minimum firing range, the General lobbed flames at the installation, hoping to incinerate it before it could do any damage.

Nessraya to 11,24, set the ballista on Fire

Thaaaaat was enemy cavalry. Time to get back inside the walls and not face that on an open field, yessir.

Nisha to 7,30

"Marina, here," Jade fished out a magic sword that had recently come into her possession and passed it to the Hero as she rode up. "There's no mistaking these armored foes are sturdy. I've been finding a lot more luck using this gun, imbued with magic, over my old rifle, so maybe this wind edge would have similar results for you..." A quick look at the girl showed that she was already loaded down. In addition to Jade's own pistol that she'd lent her, the girl was already sporting three scabbard belts crisscrossing her body. "But give me whatever you don't think you'll be using. I wouldn't want to see you tripped up and hurt because I gave you too much to carry." The zombie held a hand out with the offered sword, and waited for whatever its replacement might be while aiming down the sight of her gun at a nearby foe. She'd sort and file it appropriately when she had a spare moment, maybe right after this...

...Wait, where was Gabriela going all alone. That looks distinctly dangerous. She can't let her friend face down that whole mob. It did look like a few others might be moving that direction, but still, she'd be a lot more comfortable supporting her in person.

Jade takes out Wind Edge from the convoy, moves to 13,30, trades Wind Edge to Marina for the Hero's choice of weapon, fires her Glacial Gun at Cav #14, cantos to 15,31

Edited by Balcerzak

Nessraya sets the ballista on FIRE!
Roll: 94,57
Fwoosh!
Up in smoke!
Nessy gains +5 exp, +2 anima wexp!

Jade sends the Cav a BANG
Roll: 5,51
23 damage
Jade gains +10 exp, +1 gun wexp

Ren zips and zaps
Roll: 53,67
Ren gains +11 exp, +1 anima wexp!

"Things seem rather cleaned up... Marina? You're hurt! What happened?"
Lav to 12-31, heal marina!
Gains +15 exp, +2 staff wexp
"Stay close to us for now, things seem to be calming down... You look, rather pale. Is it your wound?"

"I think breathing around her would press her buttons, Ren," Asami finally replied, coming to dance for the princess' cousin. "So perhaps speaking hammers them all down~ Go get 'em, tiger."
Thox to 19-31, dance Ren
+10 exp

Marina hadn't even gotten back into focus before Taliyah had ran off. A sigh, gently touching her wound, the gash stinging profusely. Lavinia had arrived, quickly repairing her ripped flesh.

"I, uh, they're here..." She spoke. "Coteon, I know I see them coming... I just, got scared, is all," She replied, "I'll live, I can't focus on them when, we have a different enemy in front of us,"

Marina moves to 11,31, baps a knight with her Wind Edge

"Coteon!? Already? How... You're right, at least... We'll deal with them after we've put Ithraxl's men into the ground." Lavinia had been shaken for a moment at the news of Coteon being on the battlefield... Given their intruder the previous day, it wasn't too farfetched, but for them to have a fighting force...

Marina schmoves over and cuts a knight with some wind magic
Roll1: 63,6
Critical!
51 damage!
The knight is slain!
Marina gains +27 exp, +2 sword wexp

That actually managed to wring a laugh out of Ren, offering the fox a fleeting smirk.  "Grateful for the luck dear, stay safe," is all he offers, and even gives her a mock two finger salute, but everything is all in good fun.  No use staying moody!

Ren to 17,33 and zap cav 15 once more! With feeling!

The breach on his side had been all but contained. Unfortunately, there was still a lot to address --the group wasn't strong enough to split into three forces, so they had to take what they could.

Agni to (9,30)

Snek slithers to 19,30

Ren zips and zaps once more!
Roll: 43,80(68)
9 damage!
The cav is taken down!
Ren gains +37 exp, +2 anima wexp!

Suki took a deep breath. Her arm hurt, but they were still being assaulted, she needed to fight... The general had done a good number on healing her. With a hefty gulp, she charged the nearby cavalier!

"I, still fight! Graahhhh!"

Suki to 11-29, iron sword Cav #14!
Roll: 13,10
12 damage!
The cavalier is slain!
"I... I did it!"
Suki gains +37 exp, +2 sword wexp!

Enemy Phase/Turn 5!

Lance Armor #2 moves to swing at Taliyah!
Roll: 20,23
14 damage!
"Kyah!"
Taliyah swings back!
Roll1: 91,45

Miss!
Roll2: 58,23
4 damage!
Taliyah gains +11 exp, +2 axe wexp!

Sword Armor #4 tries to take her down!
Roll: 14,65
11 damage!
"O, Ow...! H-Help...!"
She swings back!
Roll1: 4,48
Roll2: 36,18
10 damage total!
Taliyah gains +11 exp, +4 axe wexp!
Taliyah levels up!

74	70	5	41	62	62	76	55

+Hp/Mag!

The left squad of cavaliers pushes up!

The right side engages Bladen and Xalrei!

Cavalier #12 to 30,17, yeets a javelin at him!
Roll: 11,96
8 damage!
Cantos next to him!

Cavalier #9 to 29,16, javelins Bladen!
Roll: 31,79
7 damage!
Cantos to 30,16!

Cavalier 11 charges in to stab him!
Roll: 80,69
11 damage!
Bladen swings back!
Roll: 18,39(9)
Astra!
Roll2: 17,65
Roll3: 28,67
Roll4: 56,24
Roll5: 31,48
20 damage!
Bladen gains +11 exp, +5 sword wexp!
Halo +2!

Cavalier #8 moves to 28,17, throws their javelin at Bladen!
Roll: 88,56
Miss!

Cavalier #11 charges Xalrei from 27,18!
Roll: 26,45
Miss!
Xalrei swings back!
Roll1: 54,87
Roll2: 4,11
Smashed!
44 damage!
The cavalier is sent flying!
Xalrei gains +20 exp, +3 lance wexp!

NPC Phase/Turn 5!

Ballista #2 fires on Sword Armor #4!
Roll: 10,6
Crit!
21 damage!

Ballista #3 fires on Lance armor #2!
Roll: 21,79
5 damage!

Ballista 2 and 3 are out of ammo!

Other Phase/Turn 5!

"Their forces tire! Charge them, men! Charge their fort and slay them all!"

The church's forces continue their trek towards the fort!

Holy Guard #4 spots Nessraya!

"Demon of Vaia's armies! Prepare to be cleansed in the name of the Holy Church of Ilrios!"
His blessed sword glows in anticipation!

Player Phase/Turn 6!

7YGr5Q6.png

The armored soldiers were getting close, now... it was enough to have to deal with rebel forces, but of course the situation had to have gotten worse. This last building still needed securing, though; it had been left unharmed till now, but there was no telling what might be left in this battle.

"Hello? ...Anyone home? Friendly human coming in... don't stab me or anything, please."

Seilan moves to (20, 26) and visits the house.

"Friendly human!?" A small girl with a spear in hand peeked around the corner, weapon drawn. "Y-You're... Sure...?" Her tail wagged, ears dropped. "Uhm... W-Well, then, take this... You... You aren't attacking me... I-Is it safe to run away, now?"

Seilan receives a Javelin!

"Yes, it's safe, come along now~" Asami popped up behind Seilan, ushering the girl out of the house. "No nasty humans here to hurt you anymore... Run as fast as you can towards the main fort, yes?"

"I... O-Okay!"

"As for you, pretty boy... Get moving~"

Asami moves to 20,27 and dances dat boi

Duties as King

Thesephine sighed, heavily. Her wings had come in, she'd managed to find someone she liked, romantically, and from the messages she was receiving from Asami were telling her that things were going well with Ithraxl... So why were things going so poorly here? Ithraxl's father was being incredibly difficult... So was her personal council of help at the castle. Not to mention, Nessraya's father had arrived the previous day to see her about... Their engagement. "Ughhhh..." Sollowy had been emotionally supportive at least, but between an unruly ghost lording her opinion on the country over Thesephine-- something about 'I've been here for as long as your father, you should be listening to me!' --, pressure from Asphodel on an allied from against Coteon, and Rals, granddaddy Rals, being so passive in the whole ordeal... She was at her wit's end. "How am I supposed to solve all of this properly by myself...? I can't ask Solly for help... She doesn't know anything about the internal politics... Ugh, at least Suryd managed to look into the mana tree in his realm, but... Why does that damn Begruz have to be so stubborn!?"

Thesephine slammed her desk and growled, staring at the letter she'd gotten that morning:

'My son is fighting for what he believes is right, and should he be beaten, I will fall under your leadership, for better or worse. If your precious general Nessraya is as capable at her job as you claim she is, this should be an easy task for her to accomplish. I will look into this mana tree at my own discretion, not when you demand it of me.'

"Stupid old lizard! Your son's throwing this country into turmoil when we can't afford to be splitting up! We're under attack from the Church of Ilrios, do you understand me!?" Not to mention these 'oni'... The doctors at the castle had dissected some of the corpses from their last trouble. They seemed almost completely human in make, save for their muscle mass and bone density... And the horns... Thicker, stronger, and a nearly unbreakable inner frame. "If I hadn't brought Stholia..." Another sigh. This was all too much... "Just, deal with Ithraxl quickly, Nessraya, Lavinia... Hero. Please..."

Sollowy flinched, one hand resting on the doorknob. Thesephine had gone straight to her office after her meeting and, from the sounds of things, whatever business she had in there wasn't going well either. Hopefully she was in the mood to eat... "Thessy? You ready for dinner?" In lieu of waiting for an answer the Gathlain turned and tugged the door open, wheeling the small cart in behind her as she entered Thesephine's study.  She'd been tasked with the delivery by one of the maids, a sly wink and a nudge had told her that the maids knew all about what had happened yesterday... Best not to let Thessy in on that, assuming she didn't already know; her mood didn't need to take anymore hits today. "Smells good, whatever they made us. Chicken, I think? Come over here, okay? Before it gets cold." She couldn't help but feel sort of like a nagging mother as she set their food onto the table, but if it would help Thesephine she could live with that feeling.

Setting herself down ahead of the Demon King, seat adjacent to hers, she wasn't done with her questions. "You holding up okay, still? They really let you have it today, more so than usual. I know I can't really help with that, at least not yet, but I'll always be here to hear your complaints." Having to leave Thesephine at the mercy of her council was suddenly so vexing for Sollowy. She'd overhead plenty during her week and couple days as a guest, and if asked she would've been hard pressed to recite anything positive directed towards Thesephine. She couldn't help but feel most of it was undeserved, just grown nobles posturing over a still maturing leader to stroke their own egos. A sigh escaped her. It's so... pathetic. Don't they have anything better to do?

"Solly? ... Why are you delivering the food? Where are the maids?" They hadn't pawned it off on her, had they? If they were also showing their disrespect, Sollowy would turn one of them into a statue to show off as a lesson. "Mmmnn... Yes, chicken. Looks like a salad too... Okay, they probably didn't do anything rude to you." Thesephine picked herself up from her desk and gave one final angry look towards Ithraxl's letter, before turning towards her new lover and sighing into the seat across from her.

"Before it gets cold indeed... It's not their fault. Ralsy doesn't want to get involved in any conflict; it's how he's kept support in Zreiya so strong despite Asphodel's claim to rule in Khach. It may be hers by blood, but they won't care so long as Ralsy keeps leading them peacefully... The dragons hate fighting. Once they start, it's very hard for them to stop, especially if they transform..." Thesephine wondered for a moment if Rals could even stop himself at his age. He hadn't transformed since she'd been born, he was really getting on in age... Full war against Coteon had a proper chance of killing him.

"As for Asphodel and Syriphe... Asphodel, she despises humans, it's so blatantly obvious, she just wants to go to war with Coteon to turn them into her pets, or worse... And Syriphe, ugh... Just because you're old doesn't mean you're smart! Stupid ghost! Pass on already!" Thesephine grumbled and stabbed her chicken breast with her claw, angrily biting into it as it was dragged to her mouth. "Thupid..." she mumbled one more time, sighing, swallowing, and leaning onto the table.

"At least she doesn't want to go to war, but she thinks I'm diving into this mana tree business without enough information. What more does she need? We have the bodies of foreign monsters and an envoy of Yggdrasil herself here, what more could I possibly provide her to prove something is wrong? At least Suryd listened to me... ... ... Oh. Oh no." Thesephine cast a worried glance towards Sollowy, almost going paler than she already was. "He's visiting today... Oh, no, I didn't tell you, he'll be here any minute, he said he was just going to freshen up after the meeting, oh no!" Furiously gobbling down the rest of the meat in her claw, Thesephine shot for the door, almost ready to lock it--

"Knock knock, it's uncle Suryd~ Thesephine? Are you there?"

Fuck! The medusa froze, glancing back at Sollowy. There was nowhere for the fairy to go... Which meant Suryd was going to have to meet her. Meet... The woman she'd slept with, despite their fathers deciding she would be engaged to Nessraya when they were old enough. "Ohhhh no no no no..." Nothing could be taken back, now. How would Sollowy take this? Could she even...? "Uh... D-Door's, open! C-Come in..."

"Then, don't mind if I do~" The whimsical tone of Nessraya's father, only barely muffled by the door, came into full hearing as he hummed his way into the office. Sporting a short cut of the similar teal hair that Nessraya was known for, despite being an Incubus, he was dressed appropriately for the occasion. A well done dress shirt, comfortable vest on top, black pants fit, but not too. As handsome as any. With a swish of his tail, he smiled, moved to hug Thesephine... And then paused, gaze resting on Sollowy. "My, my... So friendly with our little vassal of the world tree. A pleasure, my dear Gathlain... Am I interrupting dinner~?"

"Not... N-Not, at all... Come in, make, yourself comfortable." Thesephine's tense nature was impossible to hide, slowly moving back to sit with Sollowy, staring down at her salad. Suryd made himself comfortable on the couch across from them, legs crossed, chin resting against his hand.

"So. Once Nessraya gets back from dealing with that nasty little boy... I suppose now would be a wonderful time to cement her position here at the castle?" Straight to the point. He was playful at times, but didn't beat around the bush for serious business. "You may be a bit young, but given how our wonderful little council has been treating you, having her at your side might make them take you more seriously. Especially with such a success under her belt..."

"Ah... H-Haha, right... That, mmm..." Thesephine was frozen, only casting a glance towards Sollowy, hoping the fairy had some sort of method to save her from this.

"Ah, well, I just happened to pass Sheria as she was on her way, and I knew your mood probably wasn't the best, so..." Thesephine could connect the rest of the dots herself however she wanted, it probably wouldn't be as bad as admitting the elf had 'suggested' she be the one to bring her girlfriend her dinner. It was just some harmless teasing, so long as no one had overheard... "Yeah, nothing happened so let's eat, yeah?" Though she was actually hungry, Sollowy did wait for Thessy to sit down at least before she started on her salad.

"Mhm, hmm..." Sollowy nodded along as she ate, keeping her attention focused on what was being explained to her rather than the food in front of her. If they really were serious about this, if she really intended to help Thesephine, then she needed to listen when Thessy found the time to explain some of the politics to her. If she knew at least the general outline that Thessy was working with she could use it to supplement her own study later. And it wasn't like the info was useless to her anyway; Sollowy had gotten from this if she did have to go into Khach to tend to the Great Trees she should only deal with Ralsvelgr.

A grumble escaped the fairy's lips as she set her fork down for the moment, leaning onto the table some. "I don't get it either, Thessy. The only person who knows more than you is me, and Yggdrasil, I guess." It wasn't possible that the ghost suspected her, was it? She'd laid bare the truth of her mission to Thesephine last night, how could she not when the girl had all but confessed to her, even if it had been terribly out of order... She'd deserved to know the truth, if they were going to try to be together. It was going to be a rocky road, for sure; the first obstacle appeared to be on it's way already, Thesephine going into a panic before Sollowy could really process what was happening. "What's wrong, Thessy?"

The knock at least gave away the source of the panic, though Sollowy was still just as lost to the crisis at hand as before. Thesephine's worried glances told a story all their own, it was a shame she might as well have been deaf. What was so bad about him coming here? From what Sollowy had seen of Suryd he had seemed like more than just an old blowhard, and on Thesephine's side to boot! Just what was this all about...?

"Ah, a pleasure, Duke Tryxyss... Please, don't worry about it." Sollowy managed out a response, maintaining a neutral expression even under his gaze. He seemed familiar enough with Thesephine, but in the moment he'd stared at her she couldn't help but feel as though he was evaluating her. If he was anywhere as sharp as he was dressed, it'd be hard to hide anything from him, even if Sollowy wasn't sure what it was he wanted to know. Still trying to piece things together, Thessy returned to her seat looking worse than she did on her bad days with her council. What was...

And there it was. No matter how indirectly it had been said, Sollowy finally knew what the issue was. Oblivious to politics as she was, arranged marriages were one of the few things that most Gathlains knew about, if only for the scandals so often associated with them. And now she herself was set to be involved in such a scandal... A glance at Thesephine revealed that she was an absolute mess and desperate for help. Help that Sollowy had no idea how to provide, at least, not enough to rescue her form this situation. A hand snuck it's way into the medusa's claw, giving it a firm squeeze. She'd have Thessy's back, but she'd have to lead...

Suryd wasn't a fool and paying attention to small things was one of his strong suits. He didn't let that hand go, his smile dropping, a neutral gaze falling on Thesephine. "So... About my daughter and you, Thesephine..."

Thesephine had been hoping for Sollowy to say something, anything, but at least she was there to be supportive. How would she even go about this? There was going to be shouting, and Suryd had been the closest thing to a father for her these past decades... But... I can't run away from my decisions. I'm the leader. I have to stand behind what I decide to do... Especially in situations like this.

"Suryd... I won't, be marrying Nessraya. I... When her situation with Yggdrasil is resolved, I will be, marrying Sollowy." She did her best to hold her eyes on Suryd, his expression not changing as she spoke.

Their contest finally broke as Suryd closed his eyes and sighed, pressing fingers against his forehead. "I... Suppose, I should have seen something like this coming. A gathlain, though... Thesephine, if any of your reservations towards Nessraya were because she is a succubus, I can promise you that a gathlain is not much better in terms of promiscuity." He shot a sharp glare at Sollowy for a moment, hoping she understood just how serious this situation was. "If you wish to play around with someone to dip your toes into your sexuality as it were, I suppose I don't see the harm here, but something as serious as marriage with a commoner--"

"This is not a joke! I am not playing around, or messing around, or... Anything ridiculous like that!" Thesephine was standing now, having let go of Sollowy's hand, leaving Suryd mildly surprised. He'd known her for entire life, and while she had her outbursts, they were full of anger and frustration. This sounded more like a plea, than anything.

"So... You're seriously in love with a gathlain you've known for less than a month?" He couldn't simply let her go along with this flight of fancy if she wasn't absolutely serious. Her position in Vaia was too important to let a fling of romance turn into an important choice for the country.

"I..." Thesephine felt words catch in her throat. She looked back at Sollowy... And then nodded. "Yes. Yes, I am... Being near Sollowy brings a warmth to my heart that I haven't felt since mother was still alive. A sense of safety and comfort... Something I can't get, from anyone else. We're still learning about each other, but the more we learn, the closer we get. The more important she becomes in my life... And she's serious about this as well! She's been learning about the ruling parties of Vaia, how to conduct herself, how she should present herself in council... Th-This isn't a game, Suryd! For once in my life, I'm having serious feelings for someone I chose for myself!"

"Ugh, Thessy..." Suryd flinched at that one, knowing full well what she meant. Nessraya and Thesephine definitely got along, but his daughter's situation as a succubus meant that she couldn't simply settle down for Thesephine at the time. The medusa had been far too young, it would've been beyond unethical to allow Nessraya to touch upon her as though she were an adult all those decades ago... Of course, this meant that Nessraya was off sleeping around with other men and women, feeding her need to survive. For the Tryxyss family, it was a way of life. They would feed, or die. It was normal... For others, seeing someone you were to be betrothed to crawl into bed with so many others while you were told you weren't ready for it...

"And what about you... Sollowy, was it? I suppose, even if you are simply a citizen of Hwein, you are an envoy of the world tree... This isn't as bad as if Thesephine had picked some street urchin with no name or family behind themselves and brought this about, but I'm sure you realize that this will still cause a lot of trouble within the families of Vaia. You do realize this, yes?" Maybe he could appeal to the gathlain instead. Seeing Thesephine so decided in something did instill a sense of pride in Suryd, especially because she was resorting to feelings and reason beyond simply shouting her demands and stoning naysayers... Still. This was beyond mere feelings. They would need to do so much work to have this go about without issue...

While Thesephine may have desperately wanted her to speak, Sollowy had been absolutely lost on what to say. If she were to be entirely honest, she was still reeling from the realization that Thesephine was actually engaged to someone. Had she known that, she probably would've refused the girl's confession. Not necessarily out of respect the preestablished relationship, but if only to avoid the risk of hurting her should the worst come to pass. But it was too late to take what they'd done, what they'd promised, back. To do so now would be no short of betrayal, plain and simple; Sollowy didn't have it in her to ruin their newfound happiness. Her hand that had entwined with Thesephine's was the best Sollowy could think of in the split second she had to reassure Thessy that she had no intention to leave her side.

Watching Thessy as she rolled her gambit, Sollowy squeezed her hand tighter, she herself nervous for her lover. She didn't know Suryd like the medusa did, all she had was her first impression of the man. How would he react? He seemed reasonable enough, but what if that was just an act? He seemed the type to have a hidden dark side. A sigh of relief escaped her as the incubus sighed, a breath she didn't realized she'd held finally free. In the very least, it seemed as though he truly cared for Thesephine and her happiness.

Herself, though? It didn't take an expert to realize that she was at the top of his 'would rather you didn't exist' list. The barb he'd shot at her was proof enough, Sollowy's eyebrow twitching as she fought herself to remain seated. A large part of her wanted to stand up and yell that Thesephine had been the one to initiate, that she wouldn't have dared come onto her, but she held herself at bay. Right now, anything but a united front would only hurt their delicate position and Thesephine was pouring her heart out to try and make things work. She wouldn't let a gut reaction ruin this.

A gentle smile, and slight blush, met Thesephine as she finished her plea. Even only knowing her for about two weeks, Sollowy knew such honesty and maturity were rare for the girl. That she'd stepped up just to admit that she loved her, that she wanted to be together... If filled Sollowy with happiness she'd never thought she'd get to experience. It was her turn to answer, now, Suryd turning the question to her. She'd show him. She was as committed to Thesephine as the medusa was to her. Standing up, she faced towards Suryd, her hand finding Thesephine's again.

"Before I start, I need to make one thing clear. I only just told Thesephine recently, when she confessed to me, but..." She turned to look at Thesephine, as if asking for her opinion, before she steeled herself and stared down the incubus. "I am not just 'a gathlain'. I am her scion and, for all intents and purposes, currently the next Yggdrasil. She feels that she is dying, and has entrusted me with her will. Should that come to pass, well, I will have no choice but to complete my mission..." She let the words hang in the air for a moment, Suryd was sure to catch the implication.

"As for more immediate problems... Yes, I am well aware that our being together will only make both of our lives harder in the days to come. The nobles can, and likely will, take any issue they can with me: from the disparity between our positions, to my being a Gathlain and everything that entails, my lack of knowledge about Vaia, or even that I cannot give Thesephine a heir without outside assistance. All of that will be raised against us to try to drive us apart. But, even though our time together has been short, I feel the same about Thesephine as she does me. I wouldn't trade the time I've spent with her for anything, and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure we'll have as much time as we want!"

Sollowy's plea was all well and good; Suryd didn't really care for their arguments of feelings and promises to be together and work through it. What was stuck on him was what the gathlain had said before that. The next Yggdrasil? THE next world tree? If Yggdrasil was dying, Thesephine's claim of what these oni were doing to the great trees of their nation needed to be taken more seriously... Given that Thesephine didn't seem at all surprised by this proclamation, she'd heard it before.

"I... Give, me a moment..." Her being the scion of the world tree brought about several issues, even if it fixed a few things. They would have to verify her claim, either at a great tree, or from Yggdrasil herself. If they could, the nobles would have no ground to argue her lineage. A gathlain would do little for them to care about her standing; working as an envoy from Yggdrasil meant little, there were plenty of them, even if it was better than a commoner... The next in line to be Yggdrasil herself? In simple terms, it made Sollowy nature's princess. A proper standing that no one could fight against. The rest of what it brought, though...

"So... It's all well and good that you're going to claim that you two will work on what it means to be nobility and learn what is necessary, I'm sure you'll both do your best. The issue comes from the chance that you fail... I should not need to spell out for you how the nobility will react if you do actually become the next tree... Thesephine, I'll speak with Syriphe and get her to take this threat to the trees more seriously. As well as Begruz... As much as he'll listen to me, he hates me about as much as he hates you. Maybe more, considering my daughter... Either way, I will do that. You and miss Sollowy are heading to Hwein."

"Wh-What!?" Heading to Hwein? They needed to fix the trade issues there, yes, but that was up to Marina, Lavinia, and Nessraya... Why did they have to go?

"You're going because we cannot simply take a gathlain at her word over such a serious issue... I'll send one of my other daughters along with you two and have her message me once she has ascertained proof of Sollowy's claims. You understand, yes? I don't know what transpired between the two of you at the nearby great tree, but... We, here in Attisio, did not see it. She needs to substantiate such a claim... I'll be keeping this between us until I hear back from... From Meridrya. Yes, she should cause less problems traveling with you, and being in your group." He pouted a moment, likely lamenting having thrown his other daughter, Aezvielle, aside so quickly, but she was a pure blooded succubus. Leaving Thesephine with her and this gathlain, an issue would way more than likely occur along the way to Hwein.

"I... I, I get that. I guess... Do you expect me to leave the castle in your hands while we're gone, then?" Thesephine trusted Suryd as much as her own father, but... Leaving like this, so soon after the issues with Ithraxl, wouldn't it look irresponsible? "I, I should stay, and send Sollowy alone, to--"

"You need to speak with the Kishar family as well, Thesephine." Suryd cut her off, causing the medusa to bite her tongue.

"Outh! Blehh... Ugh... Y-You're right, ugh, ughhhh! This, gahhhh... F-Fine! Sollowy we, we pack our bags, just... This is not how I expected today to go... Suryd, you must do your best to keep the castle safe while we're gone. I'm sending a message to Rals as well! I'll ask him to remain at the castle... Just in case." Thesephine didn't have to say it out loud, but if she left the castle, Asphodel wouldn't ignore that. She wouldn't ignore Rals leaving Zreiya alone either, but so long as he was alive, the dragons there would never side with her.

"I understand... And you. Gathlain... Sollowy." Suryd was scowling again, meeting her harsh stare with his own. "You will not fail. Do you understand me? Should I find you've broken my dear Thesephine's heart, I'll bring you back no matter what and make sure you regret it." If a stare could hurt...

"Sh-She, she understands, Suryd... Calm down. We'll do everything we can. I promise..."

"... I know you will, Thessy. Well! That was stressful! I'll go about speaking with Syriphe now... Good luck on your packing and your travels." Suryd picked himself up, his tail swaying wildly behind him as he left. He was far more upset and frustrated than he was letting on.

"Uh... S-So... Uhm, h-hope you like travel..." Thesephine turned to Sollowy with an awkward smile. They were going to be busy...

"If we fail..." Sollowy had thought long and hard about what would happen if she failed when she was alone, but, with how short her relationship with Thesephine was, and the Medusa's insistence they wouldn't, she hadn't though much about the new consequences. Thinking about it for a moment as Suryd turned his attention back to Thesephine, a few ideas came to her. With what she'd seen of them, the nobility would probably use it as a chance to find even more fault with Thesephine, especially with her taking responsibility for their relationship. She'd be labeled untrustworthy at best, maybe unfit for the throne because of the impulsive decision...

"Wait, back to Hwein!?" She'd already visited every great tree there, taken what she could of their magic like Yggdrasil had tasked her to do. Not that she planned to do that anymore; unless things with these 'oni' started to look really grim. "Wouldn't it just be faster to--" Sollowy shut herself up as Suryd started talking again, not aiming to ruin his mood more than she had already. Trying to talk over him would just give him more reason to find fault in her. He was the closest thing she could consider an ally in her being with Thesephine; getting on his even worse side would only make their goal harder to reach.

Sollowy hadn't appreciated how quickly Suryd had moved past their promises of commitment, it had made her feel like he almost didn't believe them, so his threat at the end was entirely unexpected. A shiver ran down her spine from his stare and threat, but she managed to hold her gaze on him and answer as he turned to leave. "I, I understand. No matter what awaits us, I won't let that happen." Whether or not he believed her mattered, just that he'd heard her.

A heavy sigh escaped her as Sollowy sank down into her chair. That had been extremely stressful, at least Suryd was finally gone."I didn't think an incubus could be so intense. Though, I don't really blame him. He really cares about you." It was certainly a welcome change of pace to see someone else, outside of her direct employ, show her some respect. "And you don't need to worry about that, Thessy. I spent the whole last year traveling around  Hwein specifically. I don't get why we have to go all the way there to prove myself… Unless your talks with the Kishar are really that important. Though..."

Another sigh as she slowly righted herself in her seat, staring right at the medusa across from her. "You never said anything about being engaged, Thessy. I know this is a, really recent thing, but…" She shook her head. "Some advance notice would have been nice…"

Thesephine was getting ready to leave her office when Sollowy hit her with a small question, or perhaps an accusation. "H-Huh?" They hadn't... Wait, did Sollowy think--

"Look, Sollowy, I was never engaged." She laid that flat out first, closing up a drawer on her desk and picking up one of the letters she'd received that day. "My father and Suryd got along very well. They were like brothers... So, since Nessraya and I weren't at each others throats, they would always joke about having us marry when we grew up. Suryd... Just, wasn't joking, especially... After..." After her father had died, the incubus strove to unite their families. Thesephine had always put it off, and since Nessraya had been so busy, it hadn't been hard to do so.

Now that a moment had popped up where he could have her corned, he'd sprung the question, but... It was a stroke of luck that Sollowy had met her and they'd managed to feel like this. It wasn't anything against Nessraya... She was a good woman, a good general, a good friend... "The ideal, family, that my mother and father set as an example for me, I always wanted that. A loving partner, children, romance... Nessraya... Yeah, maybe I could've supplied her the energy she'd need. It's rather rude of me to just assume, anyway... But she's still a succubus. The thought of her needing to sleep with someone else, while we're married? It always put me off. It always made me feel awkward... So I didn't, want to agree to Suryd's engagement plans, but I was too scared to hurt the trust between our families... I'm, not scared anymore."

She took Sollowy's hand in a claw, squeezing it gently. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about all this, but I promise, there was nothing official. The nobility didn't even know of his plans... You don't need to worry about them finding another reason to fight us. Promise."

"You... You weren't?" Had she just read the situation wrong? Suryd had made it sound almost official, an unspoken agreement even. But if she said it was just Suryd's wish that his daughter and Thessy be wed, then it was huge weight off her conscious to know she hadn't come in and stolen Thesephine from her partner-to-be while she was away. That would have only given rise to bitter feelings and even resentment. As well as even more resistance from the nobles; though, Sollowy hadn't thought of that until Thesephine mentioned it.

Sollowy gave Thesephine's claw a squeeze as she rose from her chair, which turned into a full on hug once she was on her feet. "Mhm. I forgive you, Thessy. It's only fair, since you forgave me for hiding my secret from you. Not, that that's the only reason I'm forgiving you." A sigh escaped the gathlain's lips, leaning more onto the slightly taller medusa. "I'll do my best to provide that kind of family for you Thessy, just as I'm sure you'll do the same for me. I can tell you've thought about it a lot, so we just, need to make it happen."

Sollowy gave her girlfriend a final squeeze as she broke off their hug, taking a step back from Thesephine. "But first I have to prove myself, apparently." She said with a huff, a tiny little scowl forming on her face. "What would I have to gain from lying about my mission to become Yggdrasil? Honestly. And it's not as though he couldn't just ask someone he trusted to ask one of the Great Trees; Yggdrasil can vouch for me from any of them..." 

"Ahgghh, whatever. It's not like we can do anything about it. Let's go get ready, yeah? You can tell me what's so important that you need to go to Hwein while we prepare."