Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Erephis charges forward and casts Luna on Ariana!
"Damned monster... Your magic won't work on me! Even something like this!"
"We'll see about that...!"
Roll: 86,60
11 damage!
Magic counter!
23 damage to Erephis!
"Grh! Beast... How, did you get through my shield!?"
Erephis gains +10 exp, +1 dark wexp!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayane had finished her battle with a huff, but only had just enough time to sheathe her Blessed Blade before...

PUSH!

"!" The Oni princess stumbled out of place and turned to the source of the push: Bridget. She glared daggers at her for a moment. "What are y-!" But she didn't have much time to let her have it, her senses suddenly spiked. She felt someone strong nearby, and with a quick turn forward...she was right. Ari was in sight. "...it's her..." She mumbled under her breath. Despite the warnings from the officers from before Ayane couldn't help but feel her blood rise once more. She couldn't help but remember the betrayal, the humiliation. So in that moment she drew her Orochinagi, her focus dead set on the white knight before her. "YOU!!!" With that roar she rushed toward her opponent with eyes blazing red!

With Orochinagi equipped Ayane rushes toward 18-27

Asami slides in to dance Ayane!
"Do take care, little princess... Getting yourself offed now would be quite the laugh for Ouka dearest, wouldn't it?"
+10 exp, level done on discord
+HP/Str

As Ayane charged Ariana, the girl brought her shield up, meeting the katana with a steady defense. "Ayane, why!? Why do you side with them!? You used to be human! I realize I wronged you, but there was no way you would remain harmed, with the general so close to your side... You could come with us, don't you see that!? You don't owe these monsters anything! We can save you, turn you human, all the same as you used to be! So why!?"

"Be silent!" She screamed as her steel scraped against the shield. "My honor has already been scarred and this curse is simply a reminder of what I must do! Until that duty is done, I don't deserve my humanity!" She leaned in closer to her face, sharp teeth out and eyes red. "And I won't trust the words of a woman who would dare trample upon me for her own GAIN!" Her Orochinagi lit on fire and she took a quick step back with said blade raised above her head. "Begone from my SIGHT!" With one last cry she unleashed a flurry of blazing slices.

"That's-- So selfish! What could you possible have to gain, from... Ghh, ahh!" The sudden flurry of swings was too much for her guard to handle! One, two, three, four... Her shield was flung from her hand, Ayane's blade coming down hard on her armor! "Ghahk!" The furious blow sent her sprawling, the knights looking upon her... Before picking up their gear and turning to retreat.

"Wh... W-Wait... We, I'm... not, I'm not, done... I..."

Ayane, invigorated by Asami's dance on top of her own fury, rushes toward 19, 22 and swings Orochinagi at Ari!

Ayane rips and tears!
Roll: 30,92(10)
Astra!
8 damage!
Roll2: 61,46
8 damage!
Roll3: 94,78
Miss!
Roll4: 53,69
8 damage!
Ariana is defeated!
"But, why...!?"
Ayane gains +84 exp, +4 sword wexp!
Ayane levels up!

79	77	8	92	32	69	79	98

+Spd!

The map is over!

The holy guard did nothing to attempt to retrieve their fallen commander, quickly retreating from the city instead... Ariana did her best to pick herself up, arms failing her, shaken from Ayane's assault. "Why, are y-you all... Retreating, I... Ugh..." The final blow had impacted her armor, knocking the wind out of her. With one final gasp, she passed out on the town's tiled road, sword clattering to the ground next to her.

Bonus exp!
+10 saved all houses!
+20 defeated Ariana!

"Th... The general is dead, and they even defeated those church forces... R-Retreat! Make it back to camp! At least one of us must inform Ithraxl!"

The cavs flee!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Ayane took a huff to herself after Ari had passed out. The battle was over, but...she turned to Ari's body and slowly stepped up. She glanced down at the woman, her eyes still a little red even though the glow lessened. She rose her Orochinagi. 'Leaving the general alive wouldn't be good...so then...' The oni lowered the blade to Ari's neck, she slowly pulled it back and turned to do the deed. But...

"That's quite a wonderful smile. Hopefully not the only one I can put on your face while we go about the town, hmm?"

"!" A memory came to her in that moment, one after their mock battle. It was something that brought Ayane back a little from her rage. "...." Her hand shook a bit as she tried to move the sharp tip to finish the job. "Why...why am I...ngh..." She growled to herself.

"That's good, then...Ayane, shall we take ourselves somewhere else? You've been quite the 'guide' , so far."

"...DAMMIT!" With a loud shout she threw her katana aside in fury and fell to her knees next to Ari, the red eyes had completely stopped at this point. She grit her teeth and snarled some more as she punched the ground. "Damn you...damn you...why...why can't I..."

Edited by TheRoon

So that was it... They'd won. Lavinia let the tension in her shoulders relax, slowly stowing her bow, staff at the ready. There would be wounded after an assault like this... "Marina," she began turning to the girl. The poor girl that had poured her heart out a moment ago... Luckily, she didn't seem wounded. Physically. "It's alright, now... The battle is over and she's gone. Defeated for now, at least..." A quick glance seemed to show that this church soldier was still alive... Why her men had left her was beyond the vampire, but that was questions for another time. For now... "You're not injured, right? I don't see any bleeding, but just to make... Sure... Marina, wh-where's your sword?" Myrithali was easily recognizable even sheathed, giving Lavinia a start.

"Did you lose it? Did someone take it?" She glanced around quickly, no enemies in sight, save for corpses.

"And that's that! Get lost, assholes!" Amera huffed, jumping in place to shake out her nerves. She'd been swinging, but really, she'd been pretty scared. They hadn't made it through the walls before... Continued attacks must have damaged them enough to be broken this time. "Hoof... That's over, and we're all okay... Well... Almost all okay." Some of the ballisticians had been taken out when the walls were breached. It was a miracle that so many of them had lived in the first place. "Uh... Right. Right! Suki!" Amera turned around and charged the wolf girl, grabbing her head under her arm and driving her into a noogie!

"Arghhff!?"

"Why'd you leave your house? I told you to stay put for your own safety! This wasn't the kinda fight you should've gotten involved in, you silly dog!" Amera messed with her hair until the wolf got enough footing to pull her head free, whining and going about fixing her wayward strands.

"I, I want help! You... You always, too scare for me. I, I strong, too! Even take one down... So, th-there. Mrrh..." With a whimper and another whine, Suki did her best to retort, huffing and picking up her sword.

"... I guess you're still alright... Ugh, what a mess today has been. We're gonna need to clean all of this up, seriously... And formulate a plan of counter. Can't let Ithraxl's men regroup." With a clenched fist, Amera looked over at Nessraya, smiling. "Wha'd'you think? Strong, huh?"

"Well, well, well... Can't kill her, can you?" Asami slowly walked up on the passed out enemy and Ayane, crunched over in her confusion. "That's not good, you know... Will you hesitate when it really matters, if you can't even kill one girl you've only known for a day, Ayane?"

"I, th-that's, different!" Taliyah chirped up, hiding behind Asami, not that there was much to hide behind. "M-Miss Ayane's duty with, her sister and stuff... That's... Th-That's a completely, different situation... This is, uhm... I-It's a good thing she didn't kill her! We gotta know why, she looks like Marina... And, wh-why she's here, an', stuff..."

"... Really?" Asami scoffed at the girl, eyes narrowing... As she generated a light spell. "If Ayane can't do it, I will. Mistakes need to be cleaned up."

"Wha-- M-Miss Asami, no!"

"... Or not," Thesephine commented, changing her stance. A sigh left her. "At least they can take care of themselves... Sollowy, leave our stuff here, let's go. We need to go and see what's going on... There's Lavinia. She'll do to start. Thesephine flared her wings and then pulled them in, starting a slow walk towards the group. She warp magic was still wearing on her mind, she'd need a moment to clear her head.

Xalrei entered the closest house she could reach with reckless abandon, throwing the door open with a loud bang sure to startle whatever residents were still present. As fate would have it, only a sole red-headed girl was in this house. "You need to bar your doors and find someplace to hide as soon as possible! Some real dangerous people might be heading this way!" Though she was yet to realize it, Xalrei knew the woman she was barking at. She'd seen her briefly last night, in Circe's crystal ball. Such was her rush that Xalrei didn't even realized she was shouting at a human yet.

"Huh!?" Red twintails spun around, eyes locking on Xalrei. Her whole body froze up at the sight of a... A dragon, bloodied, toting a terrifying weapon... Her knees gave out in an instant. She collapsed to the floor, hands coming up, trying to cast magic, the spell failing no matter how much she tried. "L-L-Lll, liii, ligh, ghhtt, tt, t, t... P-Please... I'm, I, I'm not... P-Please, d, don't... Hurt me..." Spell failing, she curled up into a ball, hiding her body against the back wall as best as she could. "I'm s, s-sorry, I'm s, soss, s-sorry... I didn't... W, Want, this...!"

"What the Hel...?" Xalrei was befuddled by the sight before her as the girl collapsed, instinctively approaching her to help the girl up only to brace as soon as she saw her trying to use magic! Had the girl actually managed to cast any of her spells they would've dropped the beaten and battered dragon like a sack of bricks. Instead, there was now an angry, and confused, dragon staring down at the new lump on the floor. "What the Hel's your problem!? I run my ass all the way over here and you try to ambush me!? You'd better start explaining your, self...?" As she stared down at the girl, mind a little clearer from the burst of adrenaline, the puzzle pieces started to fit into place. This girl wasn't a monster. She was a human, the one who'd been on the other side of that jail cell! "What's with your fixation on me, huh!? Answer me!"

Why was she shouting? Red was confused, shrinking further into her ball, arms trying to cover herself, sniffling back tears. "I, I don't kn-know who you, are! I'm sorry! I'm s-so, sorry! Please, don't... Don't, h-h-h-hhuurt, me...!" A hiccup escaped between her words and she started to cry, too panicked over the sight of seeing such a terrifying looking monster face to face.

"Then why are you apologizing and crying!?" She had to know something if she was having such a visceral reaction to seeing her. The problem, then, was getting her to do anything aside from sob out apologies from the corner. More than a little frustrated by whatever the Hel was going on, Xalrei reached out for the red-head's wrists to pull her hands away from her face. Instead of the girl's face, Xalrei's vision was instead filled with the vision Circe had showed her playing out for a few seconds, only to start cracking and finally shatter into pieces. Baffled, Xalrei blankly stared at the girl's face not even realizing it.

"Let go! Ahhh! Help! HELP!!" Panicked shrieks rang out of the house, red struggling against Xalrei's grip, not that it did much. Neither did her calls for help, as no sound of help was coming... "I... I, I just, I didn't... mean... T-To attack, you, I'm... S-sorry, I... It was a ref, fflex, I, pl, please..." Her energy was spent, even if her heart was racing, she had no more power left to tug against the dragon, or continue her frantic noises. But I'm n-nnn, not, dead... Why? Isnn't, she a dragon? Why isn't she killing me...? 

"... Y-You're..." A small gasp, a sniffle, wide eyes staring up at Xalrei. She was still strained, but... "Hurt. I... I-I can..." With the opening of her hands, red began to close Xalrei's wounds instead of conjure another spell. "P-Please... Donn-nn't... Hurt me, miss dragon..."

"Shut up! Stop screaming in my ears! I'm not gonna hurt you unless you make me!" Though recoiling a little from the loud noise in her ears, Xalrei didn't let her grip on her 'captive' falter for a second. Even if it weren't for the vision she'd been shown, something about this girl wasn't sitting right with her. Something deep inside of the dragon told her she couldn't let the girl out of her grasp. "How the Hel is that just a reflex for you!? Who are you?"

To her great befuddlement, the girl started again with her spells. But, this time healing her? What the fuck was going on? "I wasn't going to in the first place..." A sigh escaped her, staring down at the red-head. "Are you starting to calm down now? What's your name?"

Red kept shaking every time Xalrei yelled back at her, trembling on her place on the ground, head sinking again as she was finished with the spell. "I... My... Nnnnn-Nname is... Ten-nebria. Tenebria Oweyn... I'm... I, yo-you're a monnnnster, of course, it's ref-flex when you, come in, looking like... You do." Another heft gulp left the girl. She wasn't calming down at all, her body had just given out and wasn't responding to all of her anxiety. "P-Please... Let, me go..."

Something about that name was familiar, stirring something in the back of the dragon's memory. Where had she heard that last name before? It's wasn't out here, so it must've been back at the academy... The only people important enough to have their names in books, especially a human name, were... "Wait... Tenebria, Oweyn? Like, the Coteon royal family...!?" The realization was enough to ignite the fires of her resentment, Xalrei's grip unintentionally tightening on Tenebria's wrists as her gaze turned to a harsh stare. 

A strong part of her wanted to strike the girl, to exact revenge for her parents on Coteon by taking away their princess. Requiem was easily in reach, Tenebria was effectively helpless in her grip. She'd even tried to attack her when she saw her, but... Staring down at the scared-out-of-her-mind girl, Xalrei hesitated. It didn't feel right to want to harm her. But, similarly, she couldn't just let her go...

A tense moment passed in absolute silence, Xalrei's gaze not once leaving the pinned girl. When she did finally speak, her voice was restrained, forced by herself into an uneasy calm. "No. You're coming with me. You don't get a say in the matter. Someone other than me can decide what to do with you, even if it's letting you go." Getting of the girl and beginning to stand, Xalrei tugged light on Tenebria's arm. "C'mon, get up. I'll carry you if I have to."

"P-Please, nnn-no... I, I can't. I can't, w, walk..." Tenebria was pulled up, legs immediately failing her, collapsing back to the floor. "Please... J-Just, let me, go... Please... I'm, nnn, nnoo, not supposed to be here..."

"I said I'd carry you." Without anymore words, Xalrei hoisted the taller girl up to her feet just enough to get her arms under her, lifting her up and carrying her princess style, for now. "Then you made a mistake telling me who you were. You won't be killed, or hurt," probably "so just accept it."

"L-Let, go!" Tenna didn't want to be carried! Especially not like this! Marina was supposed to be carrying her like this... Not a monster that was still causing her anxiety to spike, heart almost ready to beat out of her chest. "J-Just... Please...!" She was squirming as much as she could, but it wasn't doing her much good... Xalrei was already leaving.

"St, Stop struggling!" Though Tenna's struggling wasn't potent enough to slip out of Xalrei's grasp, it was still annoying to a moderate degree. "I'll carry you over my shoulder if I have to! I'm not letting you go! So you can either have a comfy ride back to the fort or a rough and bumpy one!"

"I, mmnh..." A hefty whimper and her continued panic shut her down, sitting frozen in Xalrei's arms now, pale as a sheet, terrified for her life... Her magic was failing her still. Without telling Xalrei, she'd been trying to conjure a light spell in her mind... It wasn't working.

Xalrei seemed a little satisfied once Tenna's struggling died down, even if she didn't know the exact reason for it. "Good... Now just sit there and I'll put you down once we're in the fort proper."

Edited by Ursali

A sigh of relief from the genasi, relieved that the battle had been finished. She had finally grown weary, the enemy monsters followed by the church was not something she was ready for. But, despite all odds, victory was achieved, and they had even captured the enemy commander of the church forces. Someone Marina felt the need to yell at, it didn't bother Taiyute, she needed some way to vent her stressors.

Back to herself, the genasi could feel the weakness in her step, the light limping, as, her natural healing powers kicked in enough to keep her stable, but she needed some form of external source, if only for a more permanent solution. Approaching the new human again, she started with a normal calming breeze around his body, a smile. 

"You fair well, yes Seilan?" She asked, following with a pat to his shoulder. "By perhaps, would you be willing to cast a small heal on me, please," She adjusted her cloak, revealing chunked off pieces of 'flesh', "I have faired well better at other times, yes? I... I believe I spoke that incorrectly..."

Marina's internal rage started to quell. Ariana had fallen, and the church soldiers had retreated... They won? But Ariana had to have been still alive right, it was the perfect time to kill her, and... No, Marina, that's not what we want to be. Her hand shook, as she started to walk more slowly, coming to a halt, Good, good... put the sword down... And Marina just dropped the sword she was holding, and just started coughing. Patting her chest a tiny bit, she turned to Lavinia, who had tried to reaffirm it was okay.

"O-Okay, so-sorr--" And she coughed a bit more. What had been--

Then Lavinia went on, asking in a panic about the holy sword, "N-nono! I, I promised Jade I'd loan it to her, she... only just t-took it a few minutes ago. I-I'm sorry, please don--" A weird, very painful feeling started swelling up as she kept coughing.

Not sure how to react, as Lavinia approached her, Marina had quickly pushed her out of the way, and before either of them realize, Marina's reaction to everything was to upchuck the last thing she ate. It was a few, very uncomfortable launches of her breakfast and what was probably left of dinner. There were several moments where she simply gagged and coughed, holding her chest as she backed up, falling on her bottom as she kept coughing, both hands on her head.

"I-I'm okay... I'm okay..."

Edited by Silver Gallade

The fighting was over. It was a familiar sight by now, watching the enemy retreat; hopefully this time would be the last, though. Checking his wound, he confirmed it wasn't too bad... well, it was bad, but he could tend to others first, at least - the first of which would be the approaching genasi. Clearing his throat, he took the staff from his side and into his hands, preparing the healing magic. "Ah... It's 'fared better', yes. You were close, though. Now - hold still while I do this, I'm... not entirely familiar with how this will work on you."

As he cast the spell with well-practiced motions, his mind drifted to thoughts of the just-finished battle. Without the arrival of the other Vaians, they'd never have stood a chance... and even still, they'd lost someone on a ballista, though among the chaos he hadn't checked who it'd been. There were only four left, now, him included, of the thirty-odd that had marched here from Hwein. At least it hadn't been for naught, now that the Vaians had agreed to help - or, well, it wasn't, so long as the rebels were defeated.

The spell completed, he nodded to Taiyute. "That should be all, for you. Looks like your injuries are like any other, as far as this staff is concerned. You did well out here today."

Edited by mcd900

"Amera isn't wrong, Suki. If you want to help, you need to mind your limits... if I hadn't been there to help you up, that mage could have been the end of you." Nessraya added, a frown on her face. It was all well and good that she wanted to help, and in the end it had turned out alright as the enemy was retreating, but... 

"Just remember that you won't do any good dead. Focus on staying safe, most of all." She concluded, looking towards Amera as the cat fished for praise, not that it wasn't warranted.

"Quite strong indeed, my hero~ So strong and muscular... you must let me have a proper gander at how you've grown over the years, Amera~" Nessraya teased, although it was short lived, her head snapping towards the direction of the fort as she felt the distinct echo of a warping spell. Inside the town, was the retreat a feint? No... that felt like Meridrya's magic... she would recognize her little sister's spells anywhere. If it wasn't enemy reinforcements, then...

"Someone just warped to the fortress, Amera. It felt like my sister was the caster... I don't think they're an enemy, but I'm going to take a look regardless." Nessraya announced, switching from flirty to serious almost instantly, almost assuredly aided by the atmosphere of battle.

________

Oh good, the cavalry was falling back... that must have meant a commander had been dealt with where the bulk of the fighting had ended up. It didn't look like the flank was going to get much support, so dealing with horsemen would have been a real pain... at least in here she had the alleyways and houses to use, but this was definitely the better outcome.

"Well, hopefully folk can vouch for my skills, now. I'd say I did pretty well." Nisha mused to herself, moving towards the centre of town. Best to be close to other allies in the aftermath.

Asami's words cut deep, Ayane was not in the state of mind for this. Well actually she never is in the right mind to listen to Asami, but especially not now. Ayane rose her head to Asami with a pained look. "..." The spell in Asami's hand flared to life just as she declared she would finish the job for Ayane. "!" And in an instant the oni jumped back on her feet and rushed toward the kitsune, she grabbed her by the top and looked her right in the eye. Her confused expression was now replaced by another furious one.

"You...have no right to judge my actions, fox!" She snarled out. "No matter what I will do my duty and slay Ouka...but this one..." She hesitated for a moment, not quite sure why she even defended Ari. But of course her pride refused to let her stop now. Thankfully Taliyah's words gave her one, at least for now. "...she's right. There is much this woman has to answer for. But until then her life is mine, I say when she dies!"

Edited by TheRoon

Taiyute felt a sigh of relief as not only did her wounds heal, there was a rejuvenating feeling. Her energies were filling, and she was back in good shape. A stretch of her arms, another sigh of relief. "Many thankings, yes. I... fare better than earlier now." She joked, positive she was right in her assumption of how the word worked.

"You need any assistance in helping the people. I will help in however possible, yes."

What's There and What Isn't

Spoiler

As the do not disturb sign faded from Circe's door and the parties outside and within swapped, the lamia was surprised to see more customers. "A busy busy day for me... Welcome, Astraea, child of the stars. Taliyah, a lovely... Mm, lizardfolk. And..." Circe paused, about to address Marina, but a sudden frown met the group. Her hidden brows furrowed, head tilting to the side. "Who... Are you?"

While initially started that this lamia knew her name, Tali figured that it was due to her being a fortune teller. Seeing names so close in the future was childsplay for her, clearly! "Ah, uhm, h-hello! This is, my... My friend! Marina! She wanted to get her, fortune told. I think..."

"... Marina Fairchild. I see." How strange. How dangerous. I didn't expect this girl's arrival... Her name reveals much to me, but to think that I could not see her coming at all... "Marina... You, are not of this world, are you?"

Marina was the first to enter the tent after Xalrei, Asami and Bladen had left. It was better she just didn't acknowledge them, she wasn't here to start anything. Almost instantly, red flags rose. She was able to easily acknowledge Astraea and Taliyah; probably fortune telling powers she was not ready to learn about. But her, of course, wasn't so easily seen by the lamia.

Taliyah revealed her name to the fortune teller, and suddenly, she got her full name down. Well, it was too late at this point if the woman was aware of Marina's identity. She was either just gonna die right here, or somehow she'd be able to walk away without problems.

Once her name was spoken, Marina simply nodded in acknowledgement, it was better at this point to be honest. Then the question was asked, if she was from here.

"No miss," She answered, "I'm not from this world."

Perhaps to Marina's comfort, Circe's frown melted into a smile, beckoning the three of them further in. "Good, good... I was worried that I was getting on in age. That makes perfect sense, then... What have the three of you come here for, today? The two of you, rather... Since now I know that miss Fairchild has come for a reading." She made sure to tail-tap the cost listings right away this time, not wanting to deal with that step again.

"I can look into any of these three. Feel free to take your time and decide... I am in no rush to close up at this moment." She had hours before she was to meet with Jade, anyway.

"I, uh..." Taliyah didn't want a reading, she was really only here for Marina. She quieted down and glanced at Astraea, wondering if the starchild wanted something for herself.

Noticing Taliyah's body language, Marina stepped back a tiny bit to rustle the girl's hair. If she didn't want anything that was fine. However in the case of Astraea,

"Sorry if I interrupted your thoughts on it Astraea, but... with how we found you, do you have any money? If not, if you'd like anything, I can pay for you. My treat," She gave a smile, the lamia's expression changing helping her be a little more upbeat. And maybe her money could go to something better, but Astraea wanted to see if she could find more about her family. If this fortune teller could help her...

Astraea had followed happily along Marina, content to be quiet and take in the town she had not gotten much look at before. Apparently they were going to a fortune teller, though what exactly that meant, she wasn't sure. However, she was met with a surprise when they entered. "Ah! You are knowing of the stars? That is the first of the people I have met today. It is good to meet you."

It seemed as though this lady could tell things. Though how she could, Astraea did not know. But Marina was talking to her, asking about money. "Ah, money, that is the coins thou has? They are traded for other things... I am afraid I do not have any of these coins. I would not want to take your coins though. Though my future would be good to see... To see if my family will meet me again here... It is not mine to take."

Marina was surprised. Someone who had the chance of giving Astraea what she needed, and she was turning it down. The girl thought about it... "It's okay, I promise." She reached into her coin pouch, handing her two gold coins. Marina knew that Astraea had her benefits as well, but...

"I want you to find out more about your family. Maybe we could just wait it out and see, but... waiting is hard." She chuckled, "I'll be okay without some money, I have enough to get by."

"Ah..." Astraea took the coins from Marina, staring at them for a long second before finally nodding. "Ok, friend. I will try to pay you back, I promise." This was too nice of her, but she couldn't say no. The chance to find out something about her future was too precious to her to pass up once Marina had insisted. She needed to know...

"Hmmm... The future for the star child it is, then." Circe's crystal began to glow, a dim red, as the room was illuminated with no other light but it. "Mmm... Your future... Astraea..." Circe was about to speak, when the vision she was beginning to see was cut off by... Black. Pure black. An empty void... "What...?" This couldn't have been her future... This wasn't death. Circe would've at least seen the moment were she to die... This was...

In the darkness, an eye cracked open. Red and piercing, inhuman, but not completely far from them... Something of the gods, but not of this planet.

"Found you."

"Found, wh-what, what is this...?" Circe closed herself off from the vision, glancing towards Marina and Astraea. "N... No fee. Not this time, I... I don't know what that was. Darkness... Pure and unfiltered... It's searching for you, star child. I don't know, what it is... All it said, was... That it has 'found you'." This couldn't have been a god-like being; Circe's visions were blocked off from the actions of such being as Ilrios and Hess... This must have been what was going to transpire. It wasn't on its way now, but it was looking... And no matter what, it would find her. "How terrifying..."

"D-darkness?" It couldn't be. Darkness that was searching for her, no, that was a thing of story. She took an involuntary step back, hand flying up and out as if to push back what the fortune teller was saying to her. "That is a fairy tale, told to make dreamers frightened. A story of horror. The darkness that comes... 

My family, we are dreamers. We see visions of this world, of what is happening, of what has happened. But dreams, they can be shared. A visit to a sibling, and the two can dream together. But sometimes... Sometimes there are dreamers that just end. They do not wake up, they do not fall, they just... Vanish into the Darkness. These are the stories that are told... But I did not vanish. I Fell. How can the Darkness be coming for me?" She had slowly been backing up, unconsciously trying to move away from this vision speaker. She had to be wrong. She had to be.

"I... Cannot give you anymore of an answer. I see what I see... And that is what I saw. I will not charge you, I realize this information is far too vague... But, I hope you appreciate the warning, nonetheless." How truly troubling. It felt a bit awkward and almost wrong to move on to Marina, but they couldn't stand there all day... Circe wouldn't be able to give Astraea anything more or less than what she'd said.

"Marina... Would you still like me to see what your future holds? If you are from another world, your past stops when you arrived here... I cannot look any further back into that. My apologies."

The whole exchange between the teller and Astraea was definitely odd and bizarre, that was for sure. Watching the star back away from her fears, Marina caught her. Well, as well as she could hold someone so much bigger than her. Marina offered a calm, warm smile,

"I don't know what it is, Astraea, but... I'll keep you safe. Okay? We'll do what we can. Whatever it is."

Soon after, the woman called for Marina's attention. A disappointed 'aww' came out in response to not being able to see back home again. That really was what she came here for. But... her future. Something she had been afraid of. A future she expected to be very short. But, she came all this way...

Marina approached the woman, handing her some gold, "I'd like to see my future, please." She responded, giving a focused look to the woman, followed with a nod.

"Yes, not a problem... Mmn... Or, is it...?" As her crystal began to shine once again... Visions of a future with people Marina knew began to appear. A chance meeting with the prince of Coteon in Hwein. An unknown girl in a far off, deserted land... "Hmmmn... Are you looking forward to meeting the prince again, Marina? And this girl... No name comes with her. Glasses, brown hair, a castle... Of her own creation? How interesting. Mnh... But where are you...?"

Circe kept viewing, trying to find Marina herself, but nothing was coming. "The tails... Too? How... Yet I cannot find you? What is stopping me...? This is definitely your future, but you..." Circe grumbled a bit, were her powers not working today? Between Astraea's vague threat of a premonition, and now this... "A grand ballroom, as well... Hwein seems to be quite the party destination for you--"

Finally, something. Marina, wielding the holy sword... Against church soldiers. A rather striking image, given the girl's apprehension to even approach the blade. The orb's imagery fizzled and disappeared after that, leaving Circe confused, but intrigued. "Well... I would like to ask you something, Marina... How much do you know, about Asami of the Dawn?"

Marina look as she focused on the woman's words. Trying her best to answer her questions in her head. Marina was not looking forward to seeing Asger again, in reality. Even Tenna, she didn't want to encounter them again as enemies... Then unknown girl, Marina first thought it would've been Yukari but... the girl being described sounded nothing like Yukari, even the self-created castle, sounded off.

"Hmm..." Marina thought about it too, on why she wasn't showing in the teller's visions. Could it have been because of her being from another world, the ball saying she didn't belong? It was confusing, head-scratching even. Something about tails... and a ballroom in Hwein. Marina was being overflowed with information.

Lastly, a vision of her facing Coteon with Myrithali in hand. A sigh as the orb seemingly stopped. She scratched her head, not sure how to take in everything. Then, a question about Asami,

"Not much, aside from... she shows up when she wants," as she briefly looked around, "Seemingly knows everything going on at all times... Not much else though. We're... well, not on the best terms." Honestly, Marina had gotten over the thing that occurred in Aensbrook, but Asami wasn't someone she wanted to seek anything from, even if she's really the only person she could ask about Yukari at the moment...

"I might just be looking too into it, but you said something about 'the tails'. Is that her?" Marina wasn't the brightest individual, but she could make a guess from the context of what they were talking about. She could've been wrong, but it didn't hurt to ask.

"Yes," Circe replied, confirming Marina's query. "Her and eight other sisters. They are the only kitsune to truly exist in this world... Any others are an odd mutation of a fox, perhaps a wolf. They have been around for centuries... Her vast knowledge is not some omniscient power, she truly has seen far too much. I will simply say to be careful with her going forward. She and her sisters... Should not meet again. Ever. Were that to happen, doom would befall us all... Never gather the nine." Perhaps too heavy for Marina, Circe smiled a bit.

"This Tenna you are thinking of... Free of charge, to calm your worries... Next you meet will not be as enemies. This, I guarantee~"

Asami, and her eight sisters. Tails... Marina facepalmed, as she let out a barely audible, "Oh my god..." She already had most of the pieces down already, of course some related to foxes and nine tails would be something relevant. Now she was curious, and a little too much for her own comfort. But how much would Asami actually tell her if she approached...?

Her thought process was broken by better news at least. Her and Tenna would still be friends. The pressure she started feeling faded out a tiny bit, a smile cracking. She gave a nod, and a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, I appreciate your help."

There was a lot going on that Astraea simply didn't understand. Asami, that was the tailed woman from earlier, she thought. It seemed she had sisters? That must not meet again. How sad, that she could never meet up with her family. And yet, it seemed it must be done to protect them all.

As the fortune teller began to speak of someone named Tenna, Astraea's mind wandered back to her fortune. Those red eyes. Looking for her. Finding her. She shuddered. There was too much there, too much to worry about. She had to focus... Focus on something else. She looked at the final member of their small group, and gestured forward. "Ah, Taliah, yes? Are you wanting to see your future too?" Yes, there it was. Focus on her. And breathe. Breathe in and out. Calm and patient as any true star would be. There was no need to fear, only to wait. Her kind could wait forever, after all.

"Of course, Marina~" Circe smiled, glancing gently at Taliyah as Astraea voiced her question.

"Ah... N-No. I... I know, what comes next, f-for me. I don't need to s-see it, before it happens." She furrowed her brows and did her best to smile. They were going to kill her father... They were definitely strong enough to do it, even if he went down fighting. She didn't need to see that. Not after having such a good day...

"As you wish..." Circe's lips were sealed on the matter.

Marina wanted to approach and comfort Taliyah, but... she could tell something was bothering the lizardgirl. Marina would handle it later, let Taliyah be for a moment. Something else had caught her attention. A shield decorated with a eagle on it, a reminder... she remembered that eagle, it's Coteon's crest. But why here...?

"Excuse me miss, what can you tell me about that shield?"

"Hmmm? That shield? I don't really know much about it... I came across it one day, and picked it up on a whim. It was rusting in the wild until that point... The magics on it aren't strong enough for me to really glean much of its past." Another person was calling it Coteon's crest, so that confirmed it. Between Xalrei and Marina, they both wouldn't have gotten it wrong. "It's three hundred gold for anyone interested... I'm sure that the blacksmith in town could repair it quite well."

An old, rusted shield. Marina pondered for a couple minutes. If it was an old Coteon shield, it could've been a part of the old crusade. Honestly, something that sent a chill down the Hero's poor spine. This was too... close. Admittedly. However, her curiosity piqued, and honestly, Lavinia thought her with a shield could work well.

"Um, y'know what," She started, "300 gold? I'll take it." She nodded, bringing out another small handful of gold pieces.

"By chance, do you think the blacksmith would be able to..." She pointed to the eagle, "remove that, and 'redecorate' it with something different?" If Marina was on her way to making this her own, it'd be better if she picked a better animal than Coteon's eagle.

"Oh... By all means~"

Marina buys the rusted shield!

"You'd have to speak with Vanessa herself, but, I assume it wouldn't be a lengthy procedure... Ask her for costs and the like. Thank you for your patronage, all of you~" Circe giggled, glad to have made a good dollar and lightened her load.

Astraea nodded firmly. "That is admirable of you. To have a chance to see the future and choose to not. You must be set on the path you know you must take. Thou art a strong soul, I can see it clearly. It is good that this group has people like you." The dreamer had seen people like that before, in her dreams. Those who moved forward, confident in their path. She had not expected it of this young girl, but they came in all shapes and sizes.

It seemed that Marina had found another item on this trip. "Ah, you are buying this shield then? That is good, though why are you having the eagle removed? Are they not a powerful bird?"

Marina nodded with a smile as she grabbed the shield and brought it into her hands. It was pretty heavy, but she can probably get used to it. Or even maybe the smith could make it lighter? Who knows, as Marina pondered, wondering what she could put on it.

Just then, Astraea asked why she wants the eagle removed. Marina's smile wavered a bit, but... She back away from the fortune teller a bit, making space. "I um..." She thought, trying to get her words right, "It's a sign of Coteon. If I take it, I'd like to... either distance myself from them, or... I don't know, I guess, find an animal that better represents me, or what I'm doing." It was hard to explain,

"I don't want the Hero of Coteon, or the things I've done to be what people remember me by. I'd like to just be... maybe just, the Hero. Or just Marina. Something..."

"It's enjoyable that you're putting so much thought into this, Marina Fairchild... I like the idea of having it replaced with someone you like. How about a suggestion?" Circe leaned onto her hands, smiling over at Marina. "How about... A butterfly? You can think about the why for yourself. Now... I won't shoo you out, but I must begin to close up~ I've lunch to eat."

"A butterfly?" Marina pondered, briefly thinking about it. She remembered at least in her world, it was an animal that represented evolution or change. Maybe... Maybe it'd be perfect. 

"Oh!" She exclaimed after the woman's closing comment. She nodded, "Of course, t-thank you for everything." She turned back to her friends. "That's it? Anything else before we leave?"

"I... N-No! I'm good. Thanks, M, Marina. I'm glad you got to learn some stuff for yourself!" Tali did her best to hide her feelings, smiling as Marina's little session wrapped up. Circe looked on at Taliyah... But didn't have any warm words for the girl. All of her futures led towards an outcome that she couldn't see being avoided should their group continue on its path.

A butterfly? It took Astraea a second to remember what that was, having once had a dream of someone trying to catch the frail creatures with a net, and it confused her when she did. Why would Marina want to put a fragile creature on something meant to protect her? Perhaps to remind her of how delicate she was? That she needed the protection of the shield? Or perhaps to lull her enemies into a false sense of security. Curious indeed...

Her thoughts left her distracted long enough that she almost missed the question. "Ah, no, I am content. This was... informative. Thank you, for the fortune and the money for it. I am good beyond that though."

Bladen let out a small sigh of relief as the cavaliers fled, a hand pressed to his side where the final javelin had grazed him. He hadn't been losing that fight, but he certainly hadn't been winning it either. Their range on him was something he'd been completely unable to shut down. He'd need to try and find a way to fix that weakness... For now though, he needed healing, but first he needed to find Xalrei. Keeping his sword drawn, just in case any final enemies decided to get one last shot in, he made his way towards the village, in time to hear a familiar voice yelling. He couldn't quite make out the words, something about hurt, and then what sounded like panicked screaming. Throwing caution to the wind, he sprinted the last remaining distance, arriving just in time to find Xalrei carrying someone, a human, out of the house. That someone wasn't moving much, but given there was only one other person who could have screamed, it was clear she was the source of the panic.

Crossing his arms, he raised an eyebrow and commented, "You know, I thought you were coming to warn them of the danger, not terrify them. What did you even say to her?" He walked a bit closer and then stopped. The red hair was the first hint, making him take a second, longer look at her face. "Wait, that... That's the girl from the vision. The human. What is she doing here?" A human hadn't been enough cause for concern at first, though perhaps an explanation of why the girl had been terrified given Xalrei's general attitude towards human, but this one... The chances of her being a monster friendly human dropped significantly now that he recognized her as the human in the vision. Something was going on here, and he didn't like any of it.

Astrea had been stuck in the fort the entire battle. It made sense, she didn't even know where to begin with the notion of fighting, but still. It had worried her. She had to work to keep her calm as she watched her new friends risking their lives to protect this place. The appearance of white clad enemies, seemingly stronger than the others they had faced, had her clutching the windowsill, digging into the wood, hoping that her new companions would find themselves safely out of the mess. The instant arrival of two new people on the fort's steps startled her, but she was quickly distracted as the enemy started fleeing. A sigh of relief, a moment to collect herself, and then she made her way down, intent on heading to find Marina and the others she had met. Leaving the fort, she spotted the two newcomers ahead, slowing her pace ever so slightly when she did. She wasn't sure who they were, and given how people seemed to react when finding out about her, it seemed best to meet them in the presence of people she did know and trust.

As soon as the battle starts to wind down, with the commander defeated and the general dead, Ren lets out a deep breath and feels himself move on instinct.  He ignores the fact that the Pureblood is also moving alongside him, his focus and priorities set over to the one he has sworn to protect.

What load of good it did the other day.

Just then he stops, trying to assess the scene before him as a huff of irritation is heard from the vampire next to him.  Ren doesn't look away from Ayane and Orochinagi, but can guess that Bridget is making a face that she promptly pulls back into an impassive look.  No, he focuses on the commander laying on the ground, on Ayane throwing Orochinagi to the side. To his cousin falling to her knees, and Asami saying something that leaves his cousin getting up and turning her anger towards the fox-

"You might want to do something about this, instead of just standing there with such a pitiful expression."

He snaps his attention at the blonde, his face schooling back to a cool glare as she simply raises a delicate brow.  Ren knows she's right, knows he has to start moving, and only offers a scoff in response before picking up speed as he makes his way towards the group in question.

"Ayane, enough," is his sharp response, having heard the tail end of the argument and catching Asami's words as well as his cousin's response to said provocation.  "Your pride is a foolish thing to fall back to, or need I remind you as to why that is?" he continues, no room for argument as he stops in front of her.  His eyes flicker back towards the discarded weapon, a cold fury simmering in his eyes as he turns to Ayane once more.  "You know how much our weapons mean to us, and yet you readily discard it?  What are you thinking?" and his voice has a steel edge to it, never rising higher than its usual tone but making sure she knows just how he feels about this.

Never missing a beat he moves over to pick up Orochinagi, giving it the same respect he gives Tonbokiri while handling it.  "You don't have the right to a life if you can't even stifle your pride.  We will discuss this and deal with our prisoner accordingly.  I will agree that there is information to be taken from her, but what if she lies? Doesn't cooperate? If she proves to have no use for us then there's no need to keep her around."

Maybe it's the fury of knowing this is the same person that slit Ayane's throat, but Ren gives Asami a look that shows how he really feels about leaving Ari alive.

He really hates trying to be the voice of reason.

"You can't be hesitating like this, and you can't let your pride take hold of your decisions.  That will only get you killed." And I don't think I can go through with this if you do.

In.  Out.  Letting himself take a breath he lets his face contort into a grimace before letting out a long sigh.  "We should wait for the others before we start deciding things," he offers, now making a point to turning his attention to Asami.  "I know I can't stop you, and I won't try, but can you abstain until then?  Please?"  and there's a lack of animosity, only tired resolve and a hint of amusement as he waits for her response.  "Maybe use your fancy light magic to bind the prisoner?  That can definitely be a thing," he continues, and the fury he felt at first starts melting away as his stance relaxes for a fraction.

Bridget's first error was thinking Lavina wouldn't go directly to where the Hero had been after the battle.

Her second error was arriving while said Hero started to throw up her stomach contents before crumpling to the ground.  

The Pureblood felt her face twist in disgust, a normal reaction to what she just saw, but other than that she...really didn't do much other than float towards her sister.  She had promised to try, to at least be civil towards the people she didn't feel strongly towards to.  Marina was one of those that fell into that category, even if she wanted nothing better than to be away from the one that reminded her of the family she lost.

No, Bridget simply kept a passive look on her as she floated over to Lavina and ignored the pitiful human on the ground.

"Lavina, you might want to mediate between the onis, Asami and the fallen commander.  Once you're done here of course," she adds the last part quickly, trying hard not to fiddle with her sleeves as she bites back a sigh.  "I...would also like to speak with you in private?  For...reasons," she lamely sputters, now pulling at her dress before quickly leaving and going over...somewhere.  Anywhere.

Anywhere that wasn't there.

Unlike the medu-dragon, Sollowy had no problem being warped mid-air, floating down to the ground with the slight bit of concentration. There was no time to waste; the enemy was within the walls and charging their position, Thessy already to charge into the fray... Only for the retreat to be called not two seconds after she'd dropped their stuff unceremoniously on the ground, hands reaching for the Bow of Yggdrasil. A heavy sigh escaped her as she returned her bow to her back, floating along after Thesephine. "At least we didn't have to fight right after the warp,  not sure if I could've kept up after... That." As the approached they group, Sollowy couldn't help but notice how familiar the cloaked-woman they were approaching was. She didn't remember ending their conversation on a good note; particularly about 'laying her hands on Thesephine'...

Edited by Ursali

"Yeah... It's a good thing we didn't have to fight while magic drunk. I'm taking it a bit better, but..." Thessy gave Sollowy a concerned glance before looking towards the group-- "Oh no..." Nessraya was already headed their way. She'd felt their warp, then? Or saw them coming down... "Uh... S-Sollowy, this is going to be quick. That's Nessraya... Don't... Start a fight, if she does something you might expect a succubus to do." Thessy took a deep breath, before focusing for a moment. Stholia shrunk into a necklace, and she slung it around her neck.

"Hokay... Nessraya! Seems like you're all doing fine, here... Though I did expect you all to be further on ahead. The last thing I thought I'd see when we warped in was you all in the middle of battle..." Thesephine adjusted her shorts a bit, flaring her wings somewhat. "We've... Got a lot to talk about. About your progress and what you've missed away from the castle." Her wings, for one... Sollowy, for another.

Tenna had been about to beg Bladen for help, but when he started talking about her like more of a thing than a person, she realized that none of these disgusting creatures would feel any pity for her, and that she was completely at their mercy. The anxiety stung, heart shaking as it beat so fast, a sniffle, and tears starting to come down her face again. It was time for adrenaline spike round two...

"Oh... Really? Huh... As long as you don't think they're hostile... Go check them out and then consider feeling my muscles up." With a smirk, Amera shrugged... And decided to head towards the growing scuffle before it turned into something worse. "Hey, Suki?"

"Ah! Y-Yes?" The scared wolf jumped a bit, not expecting to get addressed so soon after having been talked down by both Nessraya and Amera.

"Go and hang out with Nisha for a bit... Until I can come back. She'll make sure you don't do anything stupid." Amera waved her off and headed towards the growing argument, hoping no one did anything stupid.

"Mmmm... Okay..."

Suki slouched and sighed, sheathing her sword, and folding her arms. Nisha was hard to spot, even during the day time, but she wasn't hard to sniff out... And a bit of sniffing later, Suki was heading towards her. "N-Nisha! Hello... Uhm... Words... How, do fight go?" Her tail wagged a bit, happy to have figured out how to properly say things. "I do well... M-Maybe. Nessraya, Amera, upset... B-But I okay! So... Not, understand..."

Taliyah shrunk in place, shivering and covering her head. She didn't know how to deal with arguments like this, not sure if there was anything she could do to help the situation from escalating...

"I have every right to judge you, Ayane, especially over this inability to..."  The last thing she was expecting was for Ren to step in when he did. He said plenty... Perhaps too much. Asami couldn't help her smirk as he finished, grabbing Ayane's hand and forcing it off of her robes. With a huff, she went about fixing her dress, shaking her head. "Fine. She can live, for now. It's not my place to kill her, I suppose... But, it's not your place to keep her alive." Asami gave Ayane a hard glare, fixing the oni's attention on her for a moment.

"Have you grown soft? Someone was nice to you for a single day and so you can't kill her?" A scoff, Asami glanced at Ren, not giving him the same look, rather one of annoyance and impatience. "I wasn't talking about Ouka, oni. I was talking about your sister... Steel yourself. If you cannot kill one stranger you cannot defeat your own family." With her words finished, she turned to walk off, not looking to deal with one girl's tantrum further.

Amera came on scene as soon as she finished, looking at everyone present. "If... Things are good, I'm gonna haul miss enemy commander back to the fort and confine her properly. Any objections...?"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Ren stepped on the scene and started to scold Ayane, to which the princess turned toward him in shock. Her own cousin of all people, talking down to her. Pride? Well, Ayane had to admit it was an issue of her's but...was it really that bad? She noticed Ren had Orochinagi in his hand, her treasured sword. She was so blinded by rage that a moment after she tossed away her sword she had forgotten about it. That surprised Ayane to be sure. It was all she had left of her home until Ren had reappeared, and even then it seemed to be apart of her. On top of that, she chose to defend a woman who wished to use her and almost took the oni's life. How...did she even get here? "...." She stood there silent, her face quickly shifted from one of anger to shock at the drop of a coin. Realization slowly settled in.

Things only got worse from there however, Asami's sharp tongue entered the fray as well. Had she grown soft? She could kill demons and evildoers without a second thought, but Ari seemed different somehow. She was confused, angry...if they hadn't met perhaps this would be easy. But the fact she knows even a little bit about this woman seemed to hold her back somehow. If she couldn't slay her, then her sister... "...." The fox slowly turned to walk away, but not before Ayane had one last thing for her. Asami would feel a quick sting across her face, as Ayane's palm smacked against her cheek, as hard as she could at that. "....tch..." With one last glare at the fox she quickly turned to Ren and yanked Orochinagi from his hand. She then gave him one last glance, with a mixture of anger and pain in her face. It wasn't the same one she gave Asami, it was very...conflicted. After a short breath the oni ran off from the group, trying not to show her face to anyone she may pass by.

'Dammit...dammit...dammit!'

Ren can feel his blood run cold at the mention of Suzume.  Whipping his head back at Ayane, the ex-human inwardly curses and shifts to move and intercept his cousin before doing anything rash.  The surprise on his face is only in passing as Ayane merely slaps the fox, a bit stumped and at a loss...but only for a second.

Well, Asami definitely deserved that one.

He doesn't pull away when Ayane yanks Orochinagi from his grip, and simply returns her expression with a soft contemplation of sorts.  He knows this is far from over, but for now they will focus on something else.  Like giving Amera an answer and trying to assure Taliyah that everything is....well, not fine but not as bad as it looks.

"Ah, yes.  I think it's...safe enough to take her," he offers with a soft snort, before turning to the lizard girl and letting one of his smiles slip into place.  "I do apologize you had to witness something like that.  Are you alright?" and really the oni did feel a bit bad for not noticing her sooner.  "Anything that needs healing?  I can take you to one of our healers if you're not comfortable going alone..." Concern laces his tone, and while Asami's words were still festering in his head he made sure to stuff them way way wayyyyyy in the back for later.  Just focus on others, don't focus on you, don't focus, focus on others don'tfocusdon'tfocus...

"Yeah, you better run!" Jade scowled as the cavaliers beat a quick retreat. She had no doubt her nightmares could keep pace, but the chance of running into an ambush was too great, it was better to stay back and better assess their situation. It was almost amusing to her though, that she had to wonder if Suki had done more damage to her than any of the actual enemy had managed. It was really hard to tell, with what a zombie's "pain" sensation could provide. She was feeling well enough, at any rate, and no sign of hunger. Chalk that up as the victory it was.

Lavinia hadn't called for her, so whatever had gone down in the center must've proceeded smoothly. They were all probably going to gather and discuss options. The important people anyway: the Generals, the Heros, the Captains of the Guard, the Royal Knights. Probably not the time for the Transportation to poke her head in. You're her girlfriend, you can at least be excused to show your face, a small voice whispered in the back of her head. Yeah, her girlfriend with no name, family, or status, she argued back to herself, conflicted. The urge to sigh won out and her gaze sunk to her lap.

...You also have the Holy Sword.

The merchant had to admit, when she'd bargained with Marina for a chance to look at it, this had not been what she'd expected. When she'd asked in the middle of battle to relieve her of anything she wasn't planning on using, when she was just trying to help out and be useful... she really couldn't have been expected to foresee this outcome, could she? There was a potent curiosity regarding Myrithali, to be sure, but now was not the time or place. In a private room, alone, perhaps, but not in the middle of a ruined town, walls literally collapsing around her. And also that warning burning in the back of her mind, tossed in nonchalantly as the exchange for the Wind Edge had happened. The scabbard is safe, but don't touch the blade, huh...

Well, she couldn't just sit here all day. Bet those human ballisticians wished she would get a move on already too, didn't they?

No. Stop. That's the insecurities talking. That bit of racist self-hate just now, and honestly all of the self-indulgent crap before it. Jades doubts were nagging louder than ever, and why? The whole reason she'd initially taken the leap of faith, signed on to the mission in the first place--abandoning her destination and turning her trip around--was to get that foothold. To work her way up. Yes, things had taken some unexpected turns in the meantime, sure, and for the better, but why would that be any cause for her to grow cold feet? Her reasons now were different than before, profit no longer topped the list, but that shouldn't matter, right? Shaking her head and slapping her cheeks--which did absolutely nothing by the way, just an old carryover from the days she was alive--she rode back around the corner, toward the center square.

Yes, look, even that half-wraith, that new girl, uh... her name would come to Jade in time, certainly. If she didn't have any troubles congregating with the group, why should the zombie be any different? If nothing else it should be fine to be seen and not heard. To speak when spoken to... unless there were something pressing and important to say. Which at the moment, no, not really. She could be patient and wait.

As the foe's gave up, Gabriela landed on her feet and coughed a bit, clearly still tired from the long fight they just had. Unbelievable is just one of the words that could be used for what happened. While brigands are not at all an uncommon appearance, holy knights from Coteon certainly are. There was ruckus around a general from Coteon appearing in town a little while ago, but to think they would return this quickly... Frankly, it wasn't so safe in this town before, and it was best if they wouldn't stick around much longer than needed. No doubt more soldiers would come sooner than later, and the chances of one of them being a siren wasn't non-existent, so the further away she could turn, Gabriela would want to. 

Though perhaps a good sign was that as she watched the battle from afar in the air, it seems one of the generals was defeated by Ayane. Why she didn't lop her head off was unknown, but it wasn't her choice to make. Perhaps they had some questions for her, and Gabriela was lying if she said she had none of her own. Ren was near Ayane, of course, so it might not have been a good idea for the siren to go and comfort him, but when she thought about it, the timing seemed like it would probably be off. Instead she turned to Jade, who was nearby, and seemed to wait as well.

''That was rough, wasn't it? Thanks for having my back during battle.''

"It's not about what I said to her." Xalrei huffed as she closed the distance between her and Bladen, giving her friend a chance to see just who she was carrying. "You'd have to ask her. Why Coteon's Princess is here is beyond me, too, but at least she's so scared she can't even properly fight back. If she could, I'd still be back in that house..." A low growl escaped her as she made a point to glare down at Tenna a little, even as the captured girl started to cry. She might've felt worse about it if Tenna hadn't been the one to open with violence, even if the attempt itself had failed, but that wasn't how things had gone down.

"C'mon, let's get back to the fort before someone comes to pick her up. You're pretty hurt, too. She healed me earlier for some reason, but I don't think she'd extend the same courtesy to you even if she could. Can you fly? I see you flare your wings out all the time, but never for sustained flight. If not, we can just hurry back on foot." Xalrei readjusted her claws on Tenna, making sure she had a solid grip on the girl. If they were going to fly, she needed to make sure she wasn't going to drop her passenger.

The one who had warped in was... Thesephine? There was someone else with her too... Nessraya felt like she recognized the Gathlain... which meant it had to be the same one from the haunted forest. She could inquire about the details of that later, at any rate. Reaching the Demon King, Nessraya gently collided with the medusa, pulling her into a tight embrace and tenderly petting Thesephine's hair. They were well and far away from the court at this point, so what was the harm?

"Ah, Thessy. It has been a bit, hmm? Ah... your wings sprouted without me~ I'm sure that the palace medics were sufficient, but I would have adored the chance to tend to you myself~" The General noted with a bit of a pout, tracing her finger across the spine of one wing.

"As for why we are still in Tepel... we were waylaid a tad along the path, and when we arrived in Tepel proper, the walls were in shambles and the garrison in dire need of reinforcement... pushing forward with a siege eminent seemed unwise, and we did manage to strike a blow at Ithraxl's forces today. The ones that escaped should send word back to him that their force was otherwise eradicated... with any luck that will force him to show himself, especially if he learns that I'm here."

_______

"Oh, Suki." Nisha noted as the wolfkin approached her... she hadn't been especially trying to hide, but she still tended to blend into the background regardless... well, the wolf's nose would have given her an advantage in that regard.

"I'd say it went pretty well. I stayed out of trouble and picked people off with my bow, as I prefer. Getting up close like you do isn't as much my style, unless I know for sure I can take them out fast." Nisha replied, pausing for a moment. Based on what she knew of Suki, it should be fine... reaching towards the wolfkin, she gently began to pat between her ears, giving Suki gentle scritches for a moment. If she seemed perturbed, the demi-wraith would stop, but considering every encounter she had with the wolf so far, she doubted that would be the case.

"You know how Amera is, Suki. She puts on a tough face, but she's a real softie. She just doesn't want you to get hurt... you two seem pretty close, after all. I can totally see her being the overprotective type... and I'm sure the General is just using her as a frame of reference."

Lavinia's healing came at a good time, Agni had been lost in thought as he assessed the Coteon knights, and nearly forgot his place. "Their armor bear the colors of the church, my guess would be the Holy Guard... I do not know why they are here." He gave Lavinia his explanation, before she went off to see Marina, he trailed slowly behind, his attention divided by the enemy commander, who was left behind. That... was also unusual for the knights.

This doesn't make a lick of sense. A frustrated Agni stared between Marina and the enemy commander. Bad move. The discussions happening simultaneously were a bit too much to follow.

It was best to go after Marina, then. Her throwing up also tipped his decision. "Marina, you do not need to strain yourself more. The fighting is over." He interjected himself, casting an uneasy glance at Lavinia, before turning to Marina once more. "You're in no condition to stay out here, let's go back to the fort, and rest."

The spell cast finished, he replaced the staff at his side. "Ah, thank you, help would be greatly appreciated... let's see, could you round up some of the wounded and sort out who needs healing the most? I think that should be straightforward enough... I need to check in with Amera, so I'll be able to begin healing as soon as I'm back." Inclining his head to show gratitude, he hastily stepped towards the now-dispersing group, where Amera stood with the now-incapacitated leader of the armored knights.

"How are we holding up? It looks like today's defense went well, thanks to reinforcements... hold a moment." He knelt down besides the girl, beginning to focus a healing spell through the staff with one smooth motion. "If you mean to keep her as prisoner, she's not going to be able to tell you much in this condition... Don't worry, I won't bring her back to fighting condition."

To his surprise, however, her wounds didn't close. He certainly hadn't made any error in using the staff; he'd done this kind of healing dozens of times. No, something was definitely odd about the situation here, or... her, possibly. "That's... I don't understand why the staff isn't working. It might be something to ask her about later... let me at least do this, for now, then."

Bandages, simple salves, tourniquets... it had been some time since he'd needed to use them - staves made things far easier, in that regard - though he remembered his training with them well. It was fortunate he still carried them out of habit; he could start to treat some of the more egregious injuries, at the very least.