Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Bladen was enjoying the moment of peace and sun, Asami rested against him, knowing that for at least a moment they were safe. His arm was wrapped around her waist, and the warmth of her pressed against his side combined with the warmth of the sun had him almost on the edge of falling asleep. Her words brought him back, reminding him of what lay ahead, as well as the remaining pain from his wounds from the battle. "You know, if these long fights bother you so much, you don't have to participate. Stay out of it all, away from the danger and the exhaustion..." He knew she likely would just laugh him off, call him sweet or naive, but he had to try. Xalrei would never stay out of the fight, not with everything that she had to fight for, he knew that, but if he could get Asami to stay out, he could stay focused on one person to protect at a time...

"The wounds, ah, well, pretty sure the bruised ego hurt more. When Xal and I went down to warn the village, there were some cavaliers who broke off and targeted us. I managed to draw them mostly away from Xal and the village, but they were smart. They used javelins and stayed out of range. Made it impossible to actually fight them, so I mostly just tried to stall them out. Which worked in the end." He gave a small shrug, but a wince escaped as he did. The bruises from the fight had been made worse by his crash, leaving him less than mobile right now. Which was why it was nice to simply relax in the sun. "How about you? Did you escape the fight unharmed? I missed the end of it all with that... Hero look alike. Did anything happen with her?"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing Jade talk about her duties after a battle, and it is something that hit rather close to home. Gabriela was one of the people that just went back to looking at her nails after the battle. What could she be doing after the battle to help? Her singing was mainly used for hunting, but would some nice tunes from her lips be enough to help? She knew nothing of healing magic, and she didn't have any knowledge about patching up any other wounds either, so what was there that she could be doing? It was something worth thinking about.

Jade's question caught her attention while Gabby was thinking. ''Oh? I don't believe I have, but I would love to help! Please, take me with you!''

-----------------------------------------------

Helping Jade in the stables opened up a whole new world of management for Gabriela. Animals need lots of TLC, not to mention food! The amount of food animals can swallow is a whole new revelation for Gabby. Was it the same for Ren's feathered friend? If so, maybe she should pick some flowers or something. Maybe the bird would like that? The siren was kind of a step-mom for him now, so it might be nice to 'bond' a little over food? Maybe Jade would know what a bird would like to eat! It was only one question awa-

Before Gabriela could finish her thought, a certain elf, who didn't attend the battle and wasn't even conscious when the siren had been sweating off her head, came and asked what was going on in a very panicked matter. Gabriela couldn't stay quiet, even though she wasn't the one who was being asked. ''You're.. Aithlin, correct? You should know that we fought blood, sweat and tears just now while you were 'conked out all morning' as you say it. We even captured the enemy commander!'' Gabriela was proud of the fact, despite that she had nothing to do with Ariana's defeat and capture at all. After she was done being proud, she kept a stern eye on Aithlin, wondering what the next word out of her mouth would be.

Edited by Michelaar

Yet again, there were unfamiliar faces here. It was... less than pleasant how Vaia's important figures to continue appearing one after another in order of increasing authority. Though... admittedly, it made sense, considering the gravity of the matter at hand. The rebels had nearly taken the entire town, after all.

Notebook in hand, he had prepared to take notes on their interrogation, though he'd expected something a little more mundane. The general's explanation caught him off guard, enough that he momentarily forgot to write anything, and he couldn't help but react.

"Her ley lines are... what? I've never even heard of such a thing being possible. It must be a matter of great importance for Coteon to abuse magic in such a way... this certainly does not rank among Coteon's typical list of crimes."

The most talk he'd heard of leylines were - embarrassingly enough - explanations from academy professors on his 'incompatibilities' with some forms of magic. That they could manipulate leylines spoke to the prowess of Coteon's mages, in a worrying way.

Edited by mcd900

Ayane was seen on her knees in the training room, deep in focus and bandaged up from her previous fight with Ren, although they weren't perfect. This had also been the first time she was seen in public outside of her armor, instead she was in a white casual looking outfit from her home land that seemed to match her hair nicely. If it wasn't for the sheathed Orochinagi hanging off her sash on her side she might not even look like a warrior.

It was an unexpected sight to some to be sure, but she didn't seem to care what other people thought of her at the moment. When Taliyah approached the oni turned her head over her shoulder to look her over, her expression wasn't angry like it was earlier. No it was actually a little bit soft, if tired. Like all of her rage had been expelled beforehand. "...do as you like." She responded with a surprisingly soft voice. "These wounds aren't as bad as they look, I've had far worse."

Pride and Humility

Spoiler

Ren makes his way straight towards the fort, only asking once where the training areas were before clicking his tongue as he simply follows the sounds of his cousin.  Quiet, she is not.

He rounds over to her, amber eyes narrowing as he swiftly takes out Tonbokiri.  "AYANE!"  Letting his voice rise, he needs her to snap out of it for a second so she knows he's here.  His weapon sits comfortably in his hand, a grounding presence as he feels his expression harden towards his cousin.  It is the only weapon the ex human brought with him, and the only weapon he needs for the confrontation he is about to face.

"We need...to talk," he continues, voice sharp as glass, the pause a moment to gather his thoughts.  "I know my actions may have been uncouth, but I do not regret them nor do I back down from what I've said," he explains, slipping into a stance as he raises his spear.  "However, I'm sure you have words as well?  But I know you Ayane, I know you enough that you appreciate actions more than words," and his tone never wavers, never changes from the sharpness it holds as he waits for her to get into her own stance.

"If I have to beat those words out of you, then so be it."

Ayane continued onward to the training ground, the one thing that could help her state of mind was harsh training. However before she could take a practice weapon and pick a training dummy Ren appeared, his eyes full of resolve. A contrast to Ayane's, which were only filled with anger and frustration.

"...after humiliating me before Asami this is the response I get? After leaving me alone to get my neck sliced, you choose to challenge me?" She gripped her hand into a fist, her own voice filled with venom feeling like her most trusted ally had betrayed her. "You have a lot of nerve...cousin." With that she drew her Orochinagi and took a stance, and simply let her anger take over. She rushed toward Ren with no hesitation and swung. "Asami said I couldn't kill family...let's see if that's true. Fight for your life, Ren. Because I won't hold back!"

It stung hearing Ayane say those words, but Ren knew better than to let her taunts get to him.  Not when she's in such a state, full of fury and indignation for his actions.  He powers through such trivial emotions and goes to parry her attack in equal vigor, but not even a twitch of his lips as she bares her fangs to him.

"Once again you misinterpret the situation and miss the whole...point!" he snaps, punctuating the last word as he pivots his body and pushes her away.  Giving her no time to recover he moves, his spear on the attack now as he aims for any vital points while keeping light on his feet.

"Even now...as we fight...I can see many...openings," he grunts, every pause a jab towards Ayane to prove his point.  The ex human never intended to go easy on his cousin, but if she wants a no holds bar match then who is he to deny her?

No one important, yet the only people left for each other.  Funny how things turn out in the end. 

Ren was as stout as ever. Not giving Ayane any moment to get in, not even flinching for a moment. So in control as always...or so he thinks. The spear thrust out toward Ayane and pierced her shoulder guard. But she used that chance to slip out of it and rush toward Ren with another series of swings.

"You're the one leaving openings!" She clashed against her cousin, her teeth clenched and her eyes deadly focused on the poor man. "You made a fool out of me out there, in one of my weakest moments! You're the person I trust the most, Ren...but I can't let this go!"

His eyes widen, just a bit, when some of her swings land and leave several cuts behind.  There's blood, and it stings, but he doesn't falter after the initial surprise.  He can't afford to falter, lest he wants to be cut down right here and now.

Bringing his spear up, he puts one foot down and in front of the other as he blocks Ayane and keeps their weapons locked against each other.  "You only made a fool of yourself!  All I did was make you...realize!" he growls back, pushing back to raise his leg and kick Ayane square in the chest to push her away.  One step, then another, and he regains his balance before chasing after her and aiming Tonbokiri at her throat.

Fighting was just another form of dance, but who is the one leading here?

"Ngh..." She kept locked to his weapon, glaring him down. Though she couldn't help but watch his wounds a little. Usually when they spar they use practice weapons, but this is the first time they both were actually going all out. With their treasured weapons at that. Ayane kept her gaze on the wounds for too long however, she couldn't prepare herself when Ren's boot met her torso. "!"

She stumbled back a bit with a groan and hit the wall. 'Dammit...what is wrong with me...they can't be right...!' Ren's spear came close to Ayane's neck, but she just barely managed to dodge aside in time to only get a small cut. "Shut up shut up shut UP!" She roared again and clashed against his spear.

"NO!" He roars back just as fierce, having no time to reel back from his own ferocity as he brings his spear up to meet Ayane's blade strike for bloody strike.  He can't block all of them, but with every strike that hits him he retaliates just as fiercely.  Blood for blood, now painting the ground with sudden streaks as the fight continues on.

His carefully contained fury, slipping away from him as this goes on...

"LISTEN TO ME!  For once in your life -swipe at her chest- think -a strike at her arm- things -a stab at her abdomen- THROUGH-"

He notices her hesitation, but can't afford to do the same.  Her strikes are wild, most of them easily avoidable, but one good hit from her will take him out.

She was surprised that he still held his ground, was this really the Ren she knew? He had so much anger in him too, almost as much as she did. It was enough to keep Ayane off guard, she couldn't defend against the flurry of swings and strikes. She slid back a bit from the attacks with a huff, a bit bloodied.

Though none of his blows actually hit anything vital, they did wear her down a little. "...I'm done listening..." She took her stance with another breath. "I'm ending this right now...Ren!" Her anger started to rise again, and as it did so too did her flames. Her blade bathed in her oni fire, and her eyes went red once again.

Did you even try listening before?

"If that's how you really feel," he bites back, taking two steps back and hiding the wince from the pain with a narrow of his eyes.  "I...won't give you the satisfaction of having the upper hand."

Unlike her flames that grow with the rise of her fury, his ice is a burst of sharp coldness as he finally lets go.  Amber eyes turn a cool blue, ice swirling over the bladed tip of Tonbokiri as he brings it up once more.  The shift is something he's not used to, something he's been holding back ever since arriving from Nanbu.  

No, ever since...

Just how long have I been holding back to all this rage?

"Come at me then Ayane.  If this is what you want, then COME AND TAKE IT."

"....."

A moment had passed after their declaration. Ayane didn't realize Ren had such intensity in him. While he was skilled in battle he was always the cool headed one of the two, always in control. But for once he had embraced the same rage Ayane had. Was it the oni curse going to work, or did Ayane not know her cousin as well as she thought. How long was she lost in her own world to miss this...

"...HM!" But she tossed that aside for the moment and rushed in after Ren, as her cousin rushed at her in return. The two oni swung out their weapons with all of their might, clashing steel against steel and crimson flames against azure ice. It was a spectacle to behold indeed, an impressive light show if it wasn't a battle to the death.

That said however, death did not come for either one. Ayane felt the ice coat over her armor a bit, as the spear dug in just a little. "Ngh..." He bled from her mouth a little as she fell to her knees and slumped against her cousin. Ren may not expect this but...Ayane started to sob, she just couldn't stop the tears rolling down. "...this all happened because...I'm weak...I'm far too weak...Ren..." She continued to sob, as she let her Orochinagi go.

He doesn't remember when he started crying, their weapons clashing and power rising...

Until it all came to a stop.

Ren fell at the same time as Ayane, a hand going over a deep gash on his side as he tries to speak but only lets out a pained sound.  Still clutching Tonbokiri Ren tensed when he feels his cousin lean against him.  Still riding on the rush from all that pent up rage he felt the ex human twitches and growls, on edge from the fight-

Then he hears a sob, and it's not coming from him.

His eyes start to clear, blinking more tears away as he listens, his hand letting go of Tonbokiri after the damage is done.  "A-Ayane, no..." he starts, voice sounding lost as his now free hand reaches to bring her closer to him.  "You...are not weak," he grits out through the pain, looking back at her as his expression shifts to something soft yet firm.

"Stubborn, yes.  Hardheaded...even," he winces when he goes to laugh.  "We all make mistakes.  It's what makes us..." he drifts, swallowing thickly but offering a wobbly smile.  Something fragile, raw and for her eyes only.  

"...I want you to know...that what I did wasn't to undermine you in any way," he powers through the words, leaning a bit more against her as the pain spikes before it settles again.  "Losing yourself...to that rage...only proves Ouka right..."

"And holding it back...until it overflows, tends to backfire as well," he adds after a moment, showing her that he is also at wrong here.  They both need to acknowledge their shortcomings, but for it to only happen after such a fight to the death?

Well, better late than ever really.

"Sorry...for not being there for you..." 

There it was.

Ren always put others before him, despite his own ego popping in and out from time to time. He is kind and sweet, and he always had his loved ones in his thoughts. "Ren...it's alright." She took in his words, perhaps for the first time in a while. Ayane's expression no longer had a single hint of rage in it. The only thing there was regret and sadness.

"...my rage...I don't think I can blame the curse on this. It's all me..." She took a deep sigh. "I have to find a way to control my anger...before it gets me killed. Or worse...you." She watched Ren. "I couldn't bear seeing you die because of me." She winced a bit in pain, but did her best to ignore the wounds.

"The feeling's mutual," he quips, his voice still rough with raw emotion as he maneuvers them slightly to where they're both side by side.  Due to their horns he can't easily tuck her under his chin and hold her like he used to, so the next best thing is wrap an arm around Ayane and lean his head to the side.

He hums softly, obviously pondering about something before a pained laugh leaves him again.  "You really have the shortest temper of anyone I know," he then starts to tease, but stops himself as he sucks in a breath and lets out a sob instead.

"Gods...I miss them so much."

His hold on her tightens, like any moment she'll disappear as well.  Leave him alone and empty and broken.  Ren knows this is nonsense, that Ayane is right there and he's holding her but they almost killed each other and that can't happen again.  Not when there's so much they need to do.

If there's anyone to blame for all this, there's only one demon to name and she is not here at the moment.

"Perhaps...we've been going about this the wrong way," he says after a moment, a thoughtful look on his tearstained face.  He doesn't want to be the one to say it, a knot lodging in his throat, but Ayane can probably figure it out.  For all the teasing he's done, Ren knows Ayane is sharp as the blade she carries.

".....We should also come up with...an explanation, and seek medical help."

She simply let her cousin embrace her. It was the only comfort she had left, she silently sat there and enjoyed it. All of her rage was more or less spent, so she had no retort to the short temper comment. At this point she knew it was right, her greatest weakness was plain to see.

"...maybe so." She spoke. "You left my side and I never noticed...but I know you wouldn't do that without good reason. I'm not the only one carrying such weight, and the fact I never realized it is another weakness of mine." She took a sigh. "I couldn't kill Ari because...I think deep down, despite the betrayal, she was the first friend I made outside of our homeland. At least, that's what a small part of me said. That small part of me refused to let her die, not without a talk with her first." She turned her head back to her cousin.

"When we were human and back at Izuna, I was surrounded by so many people willing to give themselves for me. I had no chance to learn things on my own. But in that moment I was alone...but I didn't dislike it. Even if things nearly ended so grim." She slowly stood up after the moment of comfort had slowly started to pass. "I want to learn more on my own, maybe even grow skilled enough to see through deception before it happens..." She clenched her hand into a fist. "So Ren...perhaps for both of us we should part for a while. You...needn't be at my side all the time..." That last part was a bit hard for her to say, but she kept her strongest appearance in front of her one true family.

He continues to listen, letting his cousin figure things out and realize what she wants to do next.  Seeing as she understands what he was trying to do, Ren let a small smile slip onto his lips.  "Know that I will always come to your aid, no matter what.  Never forget that.  However...I do agree and understand your sentiment."

As she starts to stand up and move away, he does the same and leans heavily on his spear.  "On the subject of Ari...I know you'll do what's best.  Just keep in mind that there are others you can rely on now, even if it takes time to warm up to the idea."  The idea itself of having allies they can count on still felt foreign to Ren, but not so much as when he first arrived here.

"...Heh, seeing you embrace your independence is rather lovely," he adds almost as an afterthought, looking over at Ayane with a wry smile on his lips.  "That isn't to say our separation won't be as painful once it happens, but I'll be proud of you all the same..."

Edited by Balcerzak

Taiyute stood in a corner of the training area, taking in the feel of the natural air and sun. This was a good time to relax, even if it was only for a short time. The constant fighting made the genasi's explorative nature slightly moot, if only because she wasn't going to leave the city, and streets littered with the dead wasn't the most pleasant place to be, even if she could easily gather and line up the bodies for the eventual tagging. She shrugged as she pondered, as she quietly spoke in her language into the sky.

{Spirits, pass on a message to mother...} She motioned her fingers a tad as she continued speaking, {Tell her, I am working hard to find what I am looking for. That I miss her dearly, that I have found companions that are both friendly, as well as entertaining. The road is tough, but I am making progress.} And a small toss, seemingly nothing at first glance, but a puft of wind went to the sky. She wasn't aware if things worked the same way in regards to her own side, if a message would travel through the winds back to her mother. If not, her poor mother would simply have to worry. Something Taiyute wasn't fond of, but...

Finishing her objective for the moment, she thought it was prime time to socialize again. Even if had only been for moments, she started growing a fondness for the wolf girl she had encountered, in a similar situation of being poor at speaking common. Making her way over, she would end up accidentally covering the sun that laid upon said girl. "Many excuses miss. May I join you?" She simply asked, offering a warm smile.

"Guh!?" Xalrei had been holding Tenna loosely, certain the girl had worn herself out from her panic and tears. Apparently not. She stumbled back and dropped the girl at her unexpected assault, needing to flap her wings once or twice to keep herself from falling on her rear. Well, that ruined that opportunity to get under the humans' skin. Some other time then...

Xalrei, for her role in capturing Tenebria, had been dragged along with the group dealing with their other captured human. It was nice to know that the group had handled Ariana without her, even if the young dragon had been looking forward to wiping the smug smirk off the fake Hero's face herself. At least she was dealt with. More importantly, Thesephine, the Demon King, her sister, was here. How or why she didn't know, just that some advance notice from anyone would have been appreciated. Somehow, she had to get her alone without revealing to everyone present who she was. Seeing as she was currently a nobody to her, Xalrei wasn't quite sure how that was going to work out. 

Even as the situation with Ariana progressed Xalrei's attention was almost entirely on her long lost sibling, breaking only to start moving to intercept the fake Hero, then glare at her when her very short-lived escape plan failed. She didn't really get the talk about her leylines being messed up; she herself wasn't suited to more external uses of magic and she, admittedly, hadn't paid much attention during her magic lessons. All she really got out of it was that there was yet another reason to be pissed at the Church if Nessraya's reaction was anything to go off. A small huff escaped her, Xalrei crossing her arms as a scowl settled onto her face. "Damn Coteon... They sure know how to take things too far, even when it's another 'human' they're doing it to." 

Today was turning into a whole mess of surprises. First being teleported into the tail-end of a battle, then dealing with Nessraya, and now there was some artificial half- human half-monster with her leylines completely violated by, presumably, Coteon's Church... Right, Coteon's princess was somehow here too. Sollowy cast a pitying look towards the captive in the cell. "The lengths Coteon will go to for their goals is terrifying... Do they just not care?" Though she was no expert like Nessraya, Sollowy had enough of an understanding of leylines to be just as appalled by the reveal.

A glance towards Tenebria betrayed the question on her mind. Does she know anything? Could she be complicit in creating this Ariana? Is the fear because she knows she's done wrong? However, Sollowy held her tongue. The princess was even more tightlipped than the knight. As much as Sollowy didn't like their roundabout way of relying on the Hero to coax answers out of Tenebria, they really didn't have any other choice. Of small comfort in this mess was how she didn't feel entirely out of place surrounded by Vaia's leadership. These problems were hers just as much as they were Thessy's and, as much of a headache this was, it felt good to be invested.

Edited by Ursali

For her part, Nisha had been content re-stringing her bow and checking her equipment while the bigwigs talked it up. Suki had, luckily enough, been content to sprawl out on the grass rather than immediately jump into training or continue to manhandle her, which was also a plus. The situation was pretty much fine for her since she hadn't taken any hits, but seeing some of the injuries people were carrying from the battle...

"I understand that a lot of the big names need to be in the meeting up there, but that seems to be like... all of our medics. Does the garrison not have any no-name healers lying around anywhere? Really feels like you guys should get checked out..." Nisha noted in the direction of the involved parties... the oni and the fallen especially. Once that new head honcho had shown herself, everyone had gotten into such a tizzy to start a strategy meeting that even after-battle triage hadn't been done properly... the General had seemed to be in a real funk, too. Nisha could only hope things weren't normally like this...

Someone was calling her name, curious. It wasn't Gabriela, they were side by side already, having been together for awhile, chatting about this and that. Lavinia and the others she could think of were in a meeting. Turning to the voice revealed a fit elf in shorts and a light shirt, with knee-high boots. Oh... and by the neck. There, that answered everything.

"Oh, it wasn't much," the merchant answered a bit flippantly. "Ithraxl's men decided to have a little play with siege weaponry, but they got interrupted when some of Coteon's holy goons showed up. Really nothing to lose one's head over, right Gabriela?" Unfortunately, the siren had different ideas about how to handle things, and just as quickly ruined Jade's joke. Ah well, it had been worth a shot.

Ren had retreated from the training room after getting their injuries at least bandaged and looked at.  It wouldn't do if they both simply dropped from their injuries, if the cousins were planning to actually work on themselves.  When he did come back the ex human was dressing differently, no armor visible as he sports something loose to not jostle his injuries more than he's already done.  All of his hair is tied back, loose bangs framing his bandaged face.  He holds Tonbokiri close, a makeshift crutch as he leans a bit into it as he walks back to where the rest of the group is.

He doesn't stop where Ayane and Taliyah are, but does offer a small smile with a wave of his hand.  Same with Asami, arching a brow in amusement but not bothering her time with the Fallen as he continues on his way.  It's only when he notices Gabriela that his heart settles, not having the time after to make sure she was alright.  Jade and Aithlin are there as well, the ex human wincing a bit but not from his injuries.

"Didn't think it'd get so out of hand, so I felt it fine to leave you to rest," he calls out, catching up on the last of their conversation as he raises his free hand and waves at them.  "No need to be so harsh on her Gabriela, since it's mostly my fault."

Really, what to do now while her sister and almost half of who she actually wants to talk to are interrogating their prisoners?  Bridgit huffs, blowing away a bang with a puff of air before floating about with the remainder of the group around her.  Well, there is the genasi she's awfully curious about, but there's a small grimace wrinkling her nose at the sight of the new girl.  More strangers, lovely.

Twirling her parasol in idle thought, she does catch sight of Ayane and Taliyah over at one of the training grounds.  On one hand, she doesn't mind the company of the lizard girl and would find a conversation with her to be rather welcoming.  On the other hand...she'd have to actually interact with the other oni.

Sighs, for Hess sake.

She floats over, letting her impulse take over before she could talk herself out of it.  The Pureblood makes herself known, not wanting to startle them both as she gently lands a few paces away from them to walk the rest of the distance.  The clack of her heels should be enough warning.

"We take it the talk went rather..." having no word to really describe, Bridgit simply motions to Ayane's injuries with a flutter of her free hand.  "Tis unfortunate that our healers are dealing with the rifraf we picked up," she drawls, before looking over at Taliyah and offering the girl a small smile.  "How are you faring Taliyah?" she asks, a hint of worry in her tone masked by casual indifference.

Edited by sweet podado

Agni had expected Ariana's detainment the moment they knocked her out, but he was still struggling to accept their other captive --princess Tenebria. In the flesh. Somehow.

He... had no place comforting the princess here, she was close to Marina, and his relationship to her highness was duty alone --he'd never done more than see her at a distance, and the princess would likely have never discerned his face from the other troops. Still, just having another human around was something, and what he'd be here to provide.

And speaking of, there was something very distressing about Ariana, or rather, just... how she existed, and how quickly she was discarded. Was that what a hero meant to the church? It couldn't, she was more a pawn than anything... that was not how the principle stood. Not in Agni's mind, anyways. It was unlikely she was just a human... but what was the extent of the church's tampering?

"Your Highness... pardon my intrusion, but were you ever told the existence of Ariana?" Agni was guessing a no, but confirming that information was both a step in ruling out possibilities as well as cutting some of the tension surrounding the princess.

"Her... Ley, what's?" Lavinia used magic, but her knowledge on the subject wasn't quite that advanced. Nessraya's explanation made a bit of sense, though what they'd done to Ariana was still a bit confusing. "So... She can't ago against the church's word?"

"That's... Exactly it, Lavinia." Thesephine bit her lip and scowled down at the beast Nessraya was holding down, claws tightening into shaking balls. "Ridiculous. Assaulted by a creation, a mockery of life... This girl is a chimera, and Coteon has crimes to answer for. What a mess... Nessraya, free her of the order. I don't care if it hurts. Even if she was following their wants, she still came close to killing some of you." Thesephine was simply using Ariana as a vent for her frustrations, bringing a claw up and gently chewing on a nail, trying to think things through. This girl looked alarmingly close to Marina, but Marina had surrendered of her own accord. Who was this Ariana, then?

"Orders, wants... Wh-What are you talking about!? Release me, you, demon whore, or kill me! I'll not listen to these conspiracies any longer!"

"On with it, Nessraya! Ugh... Okay, so they... Fabricate a clone of Marina to attack us and this time make sure she can't have a moment of altruism and turn against them. Sure! Coteon can just create near perfect chimeras without any issue, now... I find it insufferably hard to believe that they can simply create life so easily. Her only 'defects' are the extra assets. Strong, fit, self healing, listening to orders without issue... This isn't good."

Lavinia's mouth was agape, staring at Thesephine, then back to the girl. "So they, can just... Make as many of 'her' as they want?"

"You're kidding, right?" Amera chimed in, not the most impressed with everything that had been said so far. "That sword of hers might not be their fabled holy weapon, but it'll still cut right through any of us with ease. I couldn't even pick up the thing, even with my gauntlets... Had to fling a rope around it and drag it back to the fort. Thing needs destroyed... So, is there anything stopping them from just, sending an army of this at us?"

"Nnnn, n-no, they cann, n't." Tenebria finally spoke, a weird smile on her face, probably forced between all of the panic. "I, uhm... M-Marina, I'm nnn, nn, nnnn... N-Not, strong. I was just d-dragged along innn, th, this... I, I... Agni... I don't... I was t-told that sh, she was just... A strong warrior! All of, th, this... This isn't... I, I was taught, so much, different..."

"What do you mean they can't send more, stutters? Out with it, while you're still useful!" Amera wasn't holding back anything on Coteon's apparent princess, barely hiding a low growl.

"HiiiiI! I, I! They... They'd, nnn, n-nneed more of M, Marina... To make, another... I, I... That's all I know. I didn't th-think this m, magic would be so far along... It, it's n, n-not, meant for this! It's... It was supposed t, to be for, the injured... R-Restoring limbs, f, fixing serious, innn, jury, n, nnot... Creating life." Tenna hid herself against Marina as she finished talking, shaking in the girl's arms.

"This magic? Mrrr... I don't think princess knows more. She's told us the truth, or she's a fantastic actress... I'll let Marina judge. Maybe we can get some more out of the chimera herself. After you then, Nessraya." Thesephine folded her arms against her chest and dragged her tail across the floor, rather annoyed, but glad to have been given some kind of answer.

"I'm just fine, as you can plainly see, Bladen~" Asami was once again sitting on the side without her bruised cheek, her left facing him. "As for you... You should probably find one of the healers hanging around the fort. There's a few generous cuts between those bruises... So worried about keeping me out of the battle when you can barely take care of yourself. Silly bird~" With a giggle, Asami's ears perked up towards the wraith suggesting the same thing, making her smile wider. "See~? Even that stranger is concerned, I bet she doesn't even know what hit you... Unless... Oh, my. Were you expecting little ol' me to nurse you back to proper health, Bladen~? Why, I wouldn't mind, slowly stripping you, and applying whatever you need to all of those... Wounds. Eheh~"

"O... O-Oh... I..." Aithlin was as pale as a ghost... No, she was always that pale, she simply looked dumbfounded in addition to the white of her skin. "Th-That's... Wow, uhm... Sorry I overslept. Maybe those drinks at the inn snuck up on me too hard... No one got too seriously hurt, right?" She glanced around at the rest of the group, not spotting anyone missing... No, several were. "Is the rest of the group elsewhere? Ah, heck, I'm real sorry about this..."

Ren seemed to have her covered. "Oi, Ren! You really shouldn't have... Damn, and here I thought I'd just gotten the beauty sleep I was needing." Aithlin made a motion to elbow him, but hesitated and flinched back, realizing he was still injured. "Geez, look at you, too... Need to find the lot of you a proper healer. Did they all go to treat some other section of the fort? Are they all even alive...?"

"I... I will, then." Fetching a pouch of salve from her waist, Taliyah held it out for Ayane to take, not wanting the oni to sit there in her injuries. "P-Please... I, uhm... Can apply some if it's, t-too painful or hard to reach." Being so focused on Ayane, Taliyah didn't notice Bridgit approach, a small squeak erupting from her at the sudden voice of the pureblood. "Ah, uhm... I'm alright, Bridgit. You, seem fine too... That's good. I was just... Uhm... just worried about, Ayane. I..." She didn't know what to say, really... The fight between her and Ren had been so personal. Then they'd walked off, only for the rest to convene in the area, and both to be covered in wounds. She didn't seem upset anymore, but...

"I... I-It's okay now, right? M-Miss Ayane?"

Suddenly, the sun was gone! "Aroo!? Whaa... Oh... Blue lady. Yes, join fine. Sit sit. Grass comfy~" Suki, confused for a single moment, laid back down without a care in the world, eyes closed, relaxing in the warmth of the coming spring once more. "Battle hard... Not see you fight... Or know name! I, Suki! You?" Cracking an eye open to look up at her, she spun it around the area, catching Nisha, all by herself again.

"Niiishaaaaaa, come talk, blue lady! Say hi, make friends~"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"I take no pleasure in what I am about to do, my apologies in advance. I can only assume they implanted these orders into you as you were created... if the church of Coteon is so inhumane to do such a thing while you were awake... well, I suppose I'm not one to talk, given what I'm about to do... you will wish I had killed you, I assure it." Nessraya commented softly, summoning tendrils and tentacles to restrain and hold down Ariana, binding her limbs to stop her thrashing, and obstructing her mouth so she could not bite her tongue. Lowering herself back down onto the prisoner, she placed her hand on Ariana's back once again.

"Try not to fight it... thrash too hard and you could injure yourself, even with me holding you down. Given how ineffective healing magic is on you..." The General warned... enough stalling. Accessing Ariana's leylines once again, Nessraya pulsed her magic through them, aiming to locate every last trace of the Bishop's magic tainting her... a horrid violation of not only her body, but her spirit and mind alike.

To find every trace, and by force, purge them from her magic circuits, ripping the implanted orders away so thoroughly that nothing remained. 

'And if the physical pain that will cause is not enough... if you are based off of Marina, then... without the shroud of those orders, her morality...' No... best not to think about it. If she faltered now... well, she didn't know what would happen were an operation like this were to be botched. Nothing good. 

Finished mapping. The layout of her ley lines was so... manufactured. It wasn't difficult to find what she was looking for, not to someone who knew what to look for. No stalling. Just-

Rip it all out.

___

Nisha flinched as her name was called, looking over at Suki and Taiyute apprehensively. Approaching them slowly, she shrugged her shoulders... no use trying to dodge it.

"Fine, fine... just don't jump me again, okay?"

Marina's mind cycled in regards of all the things being said. Her light smile she gave Tenna disappeared as everything had been processing. To think the church really did just... up and replace her. Sure, she was ready to fight them, but... She couldn't handle that feeling, especially as things appeared to heighten. A supposed possible multiple copies of herself, or... with the deformities like Ariana had...

The terminology Tenna used proved something else that felt like Marina skipped several beats. Looking down again, her vision blurred out by the red-head's attempt to hide.

But, she had to focus, there was... too much. Way too much, and it brought a concern. Ariana's existence, Tenna's words... Marina was starting to question what was going on with her, specifically.

"I trust Tenna, I'm positive she isn't lying." She nodded, her gaze down on the girl, lips quivering, not positive on what she was truly feeling. "But... More of me? What does that mean, Tenna? Is the church hiding something from me?"

There was a moment where she went back to pondering... Something itching at her mind, that... odd feeling of Deja Vu she had when that monster struck her down, when she almost died; how there was no reason to feel it unless it had happened before, but according to the bits of her memory she dug through, there was nothing of the sort. And now, how quickly the church tried to replace her, it felt like even more damning evidence. "Am I... like her? Is Nessraya going to look into me, and see 'artificial' ley lines, too?"

"Ah yes, many gratefuls." Taking her cloak, she laid it out next to the girl, taking a stretch before laying down next to her. Suki, she said her name was. "I am Taiyute, yes. My name, it is quite a difficulty to say, I understand if you don't get it right the first time." She smiled, grateful to have a new friend already.

"I had yet to see you fight, either. I trust you are capable, quite." And she gave the girl a pat on the head. As the one name Nisha approached, Taiyute simple gave a welcoming wave. Laying on the ground was very comforting.

Edited by Silver Gallade

Taliyah was quite kind, though Ayane couldn't help but wonder if there was some reasoning behind her actions. '...no, I should keep those thoughts away. Considering how much she's stuttering I doubt she has a-' That train of thought was suddenly interrupted when a small girl appeared before them. Ah, the vampire. At least that's what Ayane remembered her as. She didn't have much to say about her...other than the fact she pushed her in battle. The mere thought caused Ayane to narrow her eyes slightly at Bridgit, but nothing more. If anything she was helpful.

"...the talk was rather enlightening. A few cuts and bruises are but a small price to pay for what I had gained in the aftermath." With that said she had turned her head to Taliyah once more in response to her offer. "Very well. I'll take you up on your offer." With that said she started to slowly unwrap the bandages on her arms and neck, then started to slightly slump her top off her right shoulder to take the bandages off there as well. The wounds were still a little fresh, but otherwise her skin was surprisingly clear and smooth. "Go ahead."

Edited by TheRoon

"In what you're going to do-- Un, hand me! Hey! Ahghn! Mmn!" Ariana's complaints and protests were quickly silenced by Nessraya's myriad magic, the girl barely able to squirm against the floor. "Mm! MMM!" No matter how hard she tried to bite or tug on her arms, the tentacles weren't moving... And then it hit.

It was pain indescribable, like a part of her being was being removed. A scream bundled in her throat and croaked out in parts, as her feet and hands curled and squirmed, the only parts of her body she could still move.

"Oh, by Hess... What... Wh-What is she doing to..." Lavinia had to turn away. No one deserved that much pain.

"She's removing the orders the church put in her... We don't have the luxury of time. It won't last long, but... It's going to hurt. A lot..." Thesephine didn't stop watching, even if it hurt. She'd ordered this... This was the most she owed the enemy soldier.

"Is... Is she even going to be able to tell us anything after this is done?" Amera was worried they were going to break her, but... A moment later, the magic stopped surging. Ariana went limp in the magic's hold, tears streaming down her face. "Good... Lord. Is she even alive...?"

"She's alive... We'll give her a few hours to... Try and come back from all of that. We weren't going to get answers otherwise, and we couldn't afford to do this on the road to Ithraxl's; we could be attacked at any moment and we need Nessraya at the ready, not tending to this for days." Still, Thesephine felt somewhat bad, glancing at Marina.

"N-Nno, no... M, Marinnn, nn, na, they... You're, you're real. I was there the, the day that they summonn, ned you..." Tenna shook her head, thinking back, trying her best to ignore the pained whines emanating from Ariana's cell. "What, I m-meannnt was... Parts of, you. Like... H-Hair or, blood or s, sweat... I... When they innn-ntroduced Ari, to me, they... Told me they'd been c-collecting whatever they could of you... B, But it took all of that to make her, they couldnn't, possibly..." Or at least, the princess hoped that they didn't have enough of Marina to make more. One travesty against nature was enough... Too much more than enough.

"Mmr!?" Suki perked up at the petting for a confused second before curling her back a bit and getting even more comfortable against the grass, tail wagging under her. "Yes, yes~ No jump, I good girl... You come lay down. How, was day? Before fight... I not see you before, attack! Tell me, tell me~ We wait for more, order anyway..." Despite her broken words, Suki tried her best to strike up conversation, content and happy with how everything had gone today. Ignorance was bliss...

"Uhm... Can I ask, wh-what did you gain?" Taliyah didn't waste a moment waiting for a reply, she started applying salve to Ayane's wounds as best and gently as she could. "I don't, really... Maybe I'm too young. I don't see what fighting family could achieve you... Even now, I... I know that I have to, but I don't... Want to fight my dad. Maybe... Maybe if y-you tell me, I can... I can understand why we have to fight." Her tail sunk against the ground, head drooping, shoulders sinking... She hadn't really spoken to anyone else about this but Agni, so it wasn't easy the bring up, even if she felt Ayane might understand.

"I don't need... It's fine, really. The healers are probably busy with other people, my cuts will heal. I can take care of myself." He could. He really could. He had to be able to. If he couldn't take care of himself, he couldn't protect others and he needed to be able to do that. "I have my sword and... my magic. " He whispered that bit, partially embarrassed because he knew it to be at least partially a lie, after all his magic was there but never guaranteed to be there, and also because there were so many people here. People he didn't know. His magic wasn't a secret exactly, not given how many of their original group had seen something of it at this point, but it was... his. One of the few things he still had. He wasn't quite ready to share it all to strangers just yet.

Which given one of said strangers was commenting on his wounds, it seemed like keeping his voice down might have been a good idea if he didn't want it heard. He would have said more on the subject of being able to take care of himself, but suddenly he found himself unable to say much at all as Asami started suggesting ways she could... help. He gulped, face turning red, eyes averting away from her, trying to regain control of himself. It wasn't fair, how easily she could flip the table on him. He'd been trying to have a serious conversation and now she was... distracting from that. "Y-you, that's not... fair, I d-don't. Mmm. I didn't..." Come on. She's distracting from the point. Gotta push back somehow. But... hard to do that, I...

The arm that had been loosely wrapped around Asami's waist tightened, pulling her tighter up against him. His other hand that had been helping keep himself propped up balled up, gripping onto the grass that had been beneath it. Focus. He could focus. Twisting his body (and doing his best to not wince in pain at the motion), he turned so he was facing her more straight on, trying his best to keep a serious straight face. "And if I said yes? You know I... You know how I feel. But that's not... you're distracting. It's not fair. You're using... this, my inability to... you're using it to hide. Like you always do. With the vision, with your past, with..." He paused. Even now she wasn't really meeting his eyes, her face turned away. Hiding... His other hand unclenched, grass fragments falling out. Hesitating, then pushing forward, he reached out and caught her chin with his hand, gently turning her head until he could fully see her face. Her face and the bruise displayed on her cheek. His hand falling from her chin, he sighed, "Perfectly unharmed, huh..."

Astraea hadn't liked the idea of being left out with the rest of the group while the few people she had started to get to know left. Especially with Marina being the one who knew of the vision that she'd seen... She shuddered, staring up at the fort, trying to forget that... that voice. She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to stay calm. Breathe in, breathe out. Calm. Cool. She had to do something, just waiting for Marina to return was not helping her. Looking around at the group, she spotted Erephis, the one who might help. Perhaps she might know something.

Slowly walking over to the lamia, Astraea quietly asked, "Uhm, please be excusing me, but is it ok for me to bother thou? I am... worried and have questions that perhaps you might answer. I know you are not sure of the existence of others of my kind, but." She took a deep breath. In and out. Calm. "Earlier, Marina and I went to see the teller of fortunes, who went to look into my future. Instead of seeing things, all she saw was black darkness. Looking for me. Finding me. It is... There is a story. Belonging to my people. To the dreamers. A fairy tale, a horror. The only fear a dreamer could have, because up in your cosmos we are safe. But sometimes, my family, they tell stories of the Darkness that comes, that makes a dreamer vanish. But now the Darkness is following me. Do you... know? What the Darkness is?"

Edited by scorri

"If you said yes, we could go and find a nice room for just us... So what if I'm distracting? It's not like it's something you don't want, anyway-- Ah, hey!" Too slow, or perhaps simply not expecting him to get physical, Asami couldn't stop Bladen turning her head, the bump from Ayane's slap rather visible on her otherwise perfect complexion. "Mrrrh..." Now it was her turn to blush, partly from embarrassment, partly from being handled... She was used to doing the handling. "Look, I just had a disagreement with the oni, and she can't control her anger. That's all... I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to do anything stupid like... Try and get her to apologize, or have a ridiculous argument with her. So what? That's fine, isn't it?"

"Distracting isn't the right word, anyway... I'm just offering you something else that we both want. That doesn't mean I'm distracting, it means I'm simply choosing not to answer yet... Yes, about the vision or my past. How can I commit all that to someone that won't even get in bed with me, despite so clearly wanting to. Honestly, Bladen, you blush at the slightest suggestion; when I hug you; when you woke up that fun, fun morning... You can't even sleep with me, let alone have sex~" A confident giggle, she gently took his hand off her chin, sighing, leaning back some. "How can I tell you all about myself if you won't commit~? Really, a bit unfair of you to ask... And don't try to leverage your own history as a fair trade. I know everything about your fun little fallen village. It's my job to know things~"

Erephis had kept to herself once the fighting ended. At some point, Thesephine had arrived, and ordered her glasses back on... It was a welcome relief, and it gave her time to continue working on her idea, going over the staff to make sure she completely understood its functions. She didn't expect to be approached by anyone, really, let alone their starchild. "Ah, wh-what? Darknessss...?" Erephis hadn't heard of anything like that in all she'd done researching their people, or at least, legends of their people... "Uhm... What, did, did it sss-say anything? How do you, uhm... Know that it, iss, coming for you...?" Troubling if true, but darkness was too vague. She needed more... It didn't fit any of the bills in her research.

"It's... it's not that simple." It wasn't. Right? Yes he liked her, yes he... appreciated her advances. But it wasn't just as simple as giving in. He had good reasons for not agreeing with what she wanted. They barely knew each other, it had only been a month, how could he... You're making excuses. He could hear her saying it. And he didn't have an argument for that. No, if he was being honest, the real issue was... "I-I'm scared. Scared that I won't be enough, won't be good enough, won't... be worth staying around for. I-I'm not anything special. Just a Fallen who made a bunch of dumb choices and ended up alone because of it."

He turned away, shoulders hunched, seemingly doing his best to shrink away to nothing. "At this point I'm just..." The words caught in his throat, as if he was afraid that by saying them out loud, he would cause them to become true. "I'm just waiting for you to see the truth. That I'm just a normal person with no idea what I'm doing with a relationship and... you'll want to stop wasting your time." If she knew about his home, she knew he was barely more than a teenager. What reason did she have to stay?

"More... I am unfortunately knowing only a little more. The teller of fortunes, she was worried. The Darkness was all she could see. There was a red eye, and yes, it spoke. It said 'Found you.' She said that it was looking for me. The pure, unfiltered darkness are the words she was using. And... terrifying." Astraea wished there was more she could tell. The vision scared her. There had to be something someone knew. "I do not know for sure that it is the Darkness of my people's stories. But it seemed too close, too similar. Unless, does thine world have a darkness like this? Perhaps it is not from the cosmos but of this world?" It was a stretch. She knew it. In her heart, she knew the darkness that Circe had seen was the Darkness of her people. But right now she was drowning and she would cling to any life raft she was offered.

"I think it's up for me to decide what is and isn't a waste of my time. Now, stop being such a brooding teenager and come here." She didn't wait, pulling him back from his hunch into a hug, resting her head on his shoulder. "Let me guess... You feel lost. You're wondering why you survived when so many others didn't... You don't know what you're supposed to do in life, or how to get your magic to function at your command. 'Why should she care when I'm just the runt of whatever's left of my people? Shouldn't she go and find someone that has a better handle on their life?' Is my hammer hitting your nail? Perhaps a bit too hard?" She didn't bother waiting, again, pulling him into her hug tighter.

"Well, the fact of the matter is, I don't quite care if you're the runt or their star prodigy. You're Bladen, your magic is interesting, your future is promising, and what matters most is I like looking at you~ Call it shallow, but looks definitely matter in a relationship. Plus, I suppose... You're not half bad at holding a decent conversation when you aren't wondering why someone like me is pining for you~" Another giggle, Asami cocked an eyebrow, leaning in to kiss his neck. "So let me decide, already... And stop being such a coward~ Is it really that difficult? A month is plenty long, I'd say... And I don't care if you're a virgin. More fun for me~"

"D-Darnesssss, with a red, eye... I'm... I'm ss, s-sorry, but I don't... I've never heard of sssomething like that, but... Well. Maybe thisss, will help easse your worriess." Erephis did her best to smile, racking her brain for it was written. "They s-say... Legendss, at least, written down over centuries... That the world is protected by Ilrios and Hess. Sss-so, even if this is ssome, darkness from beyond the ss-skies, or, whatever it really isss... It won't be able to harm you, or us, s-so long as the world is still under their guidance... And... Assss much as it isn't right of me to s-say... As long as that, holy ssssword of Marina's isss, working, then, Ilrios is doing f-fine. I can only assume the sssame of our, goddesssss. Does... That help, any?"

He snapped the notebook shut, wincing. There was nothing to be learned here; not in this moment, at least. It was unsettling to watch... battlefield wounds he could handle, and they were dealt with easily enough, with salve and staff. But this was markedly less so; it was an affliction he knew little about, and there was little he could do to help her.

"Try to bear with the pain for now... there's no other way to heal what's been done to you. The pain should start to subside soon enough, I think."

A few hours... nothing else could be done, but he couldn't help his concern. He inclined his head a little in deference to the Vaians. "...Perhaps we should reconvene in some time when things have settled down some. I can stay with our prisoner for now and keep an eye on her condition... I'm sure there are things that more urgently need attending to."

It would be cruel to leave her alone here in her current state, enemy though she may have been. Maybe he could come up with some way to help...

There... the deed was done. Tendrils retreating away from Ariana, the prisoner's body was allowed to move as nature would have it, immediately slumping to the floor. Stepping off of Ariana, Nessraya shook her head somberly... 

"With the level of corruption they did to her... it was either that, let her rot in prison, or put her down... if we released her, she would chase us to the ends of Xensat trying to impose Coteon's will." Nessraya noted... more to convince herself than anything. Looking down at the hand that had invaded Ariana, the General shook her head.

"If I may be allowed, I will be excusing myself... I need to bathe... Hess above, I feel unclean. Does Carlon do this willingly? And he calls us monsters..."

___

"Well, I suppose it couldn't hurt." Nisha acquiesced, laying down on Suki's side, opposite Taiyute. It was rather soft, and calming compared to the leadup, that much was certainly true.

"Before the fight? Honestly, mostly just tense. After what happened yesterday, well... it was only a matter of time before the hammer dropped. I'm kind of glad it happened as quickly as it did... it was hard to rest properly, just waiting for something to happen."

Closing her eyes, she couldn't bare those sounds coming from Ariana as her ley lines were being manhandled, however much she had been angry with her before. How much she had wanted to kill her... If she was just under orders, she may have been just like Marina, lost and afraid. Maybe... Maybe she didn't hate Ariana. At least, now she might not. No one deserves their brain mangled by people wanting to use her.

The hero initially had doubts about how evil the church truly was and if they were misguided, but, this was too much... She brought herself to look towards the poor, broken face that belonged to Ariana. Her face, in a way... Turning back around, she caught a glance of Thesephine in her view, but she didn't bother overstaying her gaze.

Marina removed one of her hands from Tenna's, rubbing the poor princess' head. Truthfully, Marina doesn't remember seeing Tenna when she first got here. Could just be a memory lapse because what was she actually paying attention to, waking up groggy in a church full of people she had never seen before. She wasn't sure and she was gonna ask Nessraya to look into her just in case. Not now, anyway, she had her own issues.

"Tenna, I--" She gave the girl a light hug, "I trust you, I really do. And don't discredit yourself, I've seen how strong you are. I know you're going through stuff but... I know you'll persevere." Letting go, she stood up. "I'm gonna leave you with Agni for a bit, okay? I..." She looked back at the cage Ariana laid in, then to Agni, who'd know what she was about to say. "I can't watch what happened to me, happen to someone else."

She approached the group, making her way past everyone, till she stood above Ariana. Kneeling down, she took both of her shoulders, speaking softly as to not irritate her probably throbbing head even more, "Easy, easy... I'm gonna flip you over. Give your head something to rest on, and some water, okay? You probably need it more than me."

Carefully adjusting the girl's body, she flipped her over and got into a criss-cross position, putting her head into her lap. Once that was finished, she pulled out her waterskin, giving it a shake to make sure she had some. Very gently, she brought it to Ariana's mouth.

"Take as much as you need," She wasn't sure, but it felt something more compelling Marina to help this girl in her need. Aside from it being her wanting to do good... It was like, no matter what was said, even if she was some 'abomination'... Ariana was some part of her.

"I agreement," Taiyute replied to Nisha's comment. "I had been in here not too long ago... Tepel is quite the beautiful. Is a shame things turned out how they did, but... we still have the city, so we can fix it." She nodded confidently. "Truthfully, I don't feel the tense before battle. My people we... air genasi do not enjoy the fighting, but we are compelled to do it when necessary. Or... erm-- Most us don't. When I can battle, it proves to me that I am getting stronger, yes? Strong means improve."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"Mmmmm..." He groaned, but didn't resist the hug, burying his head into her shoulder, appreciating the warmth of her body and her words. Each of them hit home, almost as if she was reading his mind. The only reason he was alive was because he'd been forced to stay back from the fighting. It wasn't fair. His father, the men with him, they should have survived. But instead all that was left of the group that had left his village was measly little him, stuck with a sword, magic he couldn't control, and a vow to continue the promise that his family had died for. What chance did he have though, when so many others had failed? He didn't have a response to her words, each of them an arrow hitting the bullseye that was his heart.

But she didn't care about any of that. She wanted him not in spite of who he was but because of it. "I..." His breath caught as she kissed his neck, and he could feel his worries start to be pushed away, pushed down, forgotten. She liked him for him. Nothing more, nothing less. Or so she's telling you... The traitorous whisper in his head was pushed aside for now. Later, perhaps, he could deal with his worries about how much she kept hidden from him. For now... Picking up his head from where it had been resting on her shoulder, he gently settled his forehead against hers, deep blue eyes staring into her pink ones. "Yeah, ok. You win, I give in. You are just too wonderful for me to resist any longer."

Astraea's heart sank a little as Erephis confirmed she did not recognize the description. "N-no, it's ok. This is the enemy of my people, not thine. I should not have expected thou to know any more than me." There were a few words of comfort though, describing how the world was protected by the gods. Astraea knew of the gods, at least somewhat. They too were featured in the stories and dreams of her people, though mostly in the context of the world below. To hear that they would protect from danger from the sky as well was comforting. "Yes... Thank you. Perhaps the gods are the reason I am here, safe, instead of not. The guidance of such a being helped me to survive and land here... I must hope that they will also keep the Darkness away. I would not want to bring such a danger to this group. Not after such kindness has been shown to me."

Sollowy knew this needed to be done. This girl wouldn't ever be free from the Church's grasp otherwise, but... Is this really all that can be done? As Nessraya began the procedure, Sollowy tried to watch, to bear witness to this girl's pain. She couldn't handle it, turning her attention to Thesephine instead. The Demon King's pained expression was of small comfort as Sollowy tried to block out the noises coming from the cell; Thesephine may have ordered it done, but she was taking no joy in the act being committed. No one here was. Sollowy took the medusa's claw in her hand, entwining their fingers. She just, needed something to hold onto, right now.

Once it was finally over Sollowy allowed herself to face the cell again, Ariana's near broken form lying in the cell. It hurt to see it. To be able to do nothing about it. As confident as she was in her healing, magic of that sort would have no effect. Maybe it didn't feel as bad for the others, Ariana had been an enemy to them not an hour ago, but as someone who hadn't directly been one of her targets all she felt was pity for the girl. At least someone seemed to care, the Hero, of all people, coming over and caring for the girl.

"Are you doing okay, Thessy?" Sollowy could only hope what had transpired wouldn't linger with her girlfriend. Though, with how much she seemed to know about all this, maybe it was too late for that. "And, um, how do you know so much about this? I haven't heard of chimeras existing until today, but you aren't surprised at all. You sound almost like an expert."

"Right, a few cuts," she quips, but leaves it at that as she rather enjoys having her person in one piece thank you.  Still, it's quite fascinating to see how these two outsiders handle their business, although not at all surprising.  It's not rare to settle disputes with a bit of familial roughhousing, just uncommon.  Well, not that she knows much about that seeing as most of her knowledge is from inside the castle walls until just recently.

It's quite frustrating, not knowing things.

At Taliyah's questions Bridgit can't help the small huff of a sigh leaving her lips, expression now soft as she plays lightly with a strand of hair.  "Their fight is...not quite the same to what you speak of.  True, there was probably a chance that one of them died but...hm."  She pauses, then looks at Ayane once more.  "Probably best you continue.  We are just an outsider after all." No use in being openly rude to the girl or to rush explanations to someone she actually....likes.  Eugh, patience.  How she loathes it.