Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"No sign of our main forces that I could tell. They must not have penetrated so deeply yet. There were, however, about a half dozen mages in there and, I have to assume from his hubris, the mastermind of this foolhardy rebellion." Jade scowled as she remembered the man's insults, whispering one of them under her breath so she wouldn't forget it. "Were it one or the other I might have held ground at the doors up there, but in this case discretion really seemed the better part of valor. How is everybody faring here, no lasting wounds I hope?"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seilan commits zap!
Roll: 9,21
24 damage!
The merc is slain!
Seilan gains +24 exp, +2 anima wexp!

Ayane engages the myrm!
Roll: 5,99(17)
24 damage!
He swings back!
Roll: 77,88
Miss!
Aya gains +10 exp, +1 sword wexp!

Taiyute blasts the axe armor!
Roll1: 45,43
19 damage!
Roll2: 96,12
Crit!
57 damage!
Taiyute gains +34 exp, +3 anima wexp!
Level up!
Level 13

35	32	98	16	13	16	99	64

+HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Lck

Xal gives a javelin a toss!
Roll: 22,97
19 damage!
The myrm is impaled!
Xal gains +14 exp, +2 lance wexp!

Marina SHOOTS A MAN
Roll: 15,68
12 damage!
Marina gains +9 exp, +1 gun wexp!

Bladen comes in to finish him off!
Roll: 53,35(77)
20 damage!
He's slain!
Bladen gains +20 exp, +2 sword wexp!
Level up!
Level 15

95	36	33	16	60	62	33	43

+Str/Skl/Def!

Agni opens the chest to find...!
Two red gems!

"I think we're doing alright, Jade... Nothing physically lasting, anyway." Lavinia made one more sympathetic glance towards Lucille before turning her attention back to the zombie. "We'd best get ready to back them up once we hear fighting... On your guards, everyone." Mages were trouble, especially for Lavinia... Slow, and encased in a perfect heat or electricity conductor.

Enemy Phase/Turn 12!

Myrm #3 charges Marina!
Roll: 8,75
2 damage!
Marina fires back!
Roll: 44,88
13 damage!
Marina gains +9 exp, +1 gun wexp!

Lance Armor #3 throws his javelin at Bladen!
Roll: 21,25
6 damage!

Zask tries to meteor bladen!
Roll: 9,61
5 damage!

Heavy boots clank into the main hall... Ithraxl approaches!

"So you're the lot that's broken into my fort... Come to stop me, finally!? Then come! I'll face you all and strike you down! I will be the one history remembers! Your names will all disappear into nothing..."

Player Phase/Turn 13!

LusQVEl.png

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Big bad finally comes to deal with us himself, does he? Come on then, you overgrown lizard!"

Amera to 14-22, lightning fist Lance Armor #3
Roll1: 68,41(49)
Roll2: 49,78(1)
Adept!
Roll3: 68,45(32)
51 damage!
"Gonna do you like I just did him, Ithraxl!"
Cat gains +30 exp, +4 fist wexp!

Bridgit to 15-20, Shade Myrm #3

"Oh look, the guess the gang's all here."

There's only so much Bridgit could take, mainly so when dealing with a fight as long as this one.  In her honest opinion this is starting to drag on, the Pureblood letting his tongue click in irritation as she looks over at the others.  "We don't know about you lot, but this Bridgit is quite done with this dastard and his lackeys," she spats, letting dark magic gather as she directs her next assault at the Myrm nearest her.

"Big talk from a soon to be dead man," Sollowy jeered at Ithraxl in between patching up Bladen for the umpteenth time today. Honestly, with how important Sollowy's magic was to herself, she should probably be charging him something for how much she'd expended on him alone. Seriously, it was like he had a sigh on his back saying 'kick me'...

Sol to 16-22, heal Bladen

Edited by Ursali

Bridgit give the man a blast!
Roll: 10,4
13 damage!
The myrm is slain!
Bridgit gains +27 exp, +2 dark wexp!
Level up!
Level 13

22	56	89	5	27	25	22	74

+HP/Skl/Spd/Lck/Def!

Sollowy heals Bladen!
+15 exp

"Gave you reason? Your twisted ambition was the only reason you ever needed. And my death? Quite slow, yes. I think enjoying good times and good company until a ripe old age suits me just fine. You, however? Yours shall be swift, Ithraxl."

"Your words are like your ability to lead! Air. When the ground is stained with your blood, we'll see how many quips you can muster!"

Ren fire balls man!
Roll: 9,94(86)
12 damage!
Ren gains +10 exp, +1 anima wexp!

Ari moves to 14,23

Ithraxl was finally in sight, he gave his declaration and reasoning. Though Ayane was too busy trying not to lose herself in her anger to care or retort. The only answer she gave the man in fact was another dead soldier. She rushed toward a Myrmidon with her blade out and swung once more with another scream.

Ayane rushes to 13-22 and swings her Blessed Sword on Myrm #1

All Bladen knew was that Ithraxl needed to be blocked off before he got too close to the group. They were too scattered right now, they would need a second to breathe before he crashed into their midst.

"Thanks for the healing. And... Sorry about this."

Bladen to 11-22, barbed sword Mage #2

And down the mage fell, crumpled into a heap at Bladen's feet. He swallowed, throat suddenly dry for some reason. He straightened to his full height, wings flaring out to block the width of the hallway. Tightening his grip on the heavy shield in one hand and the jagged sword in the other, he settled into a defensive stance. "Too many faces have disappeared because of you already, Ithraxl. It ends here. Your name will be remembered, aye, but only as a failed traitor to the King. So come on. Try and get past me, I dare you."

"Ohhh... One of you." The lizardman's lips curled into a sneer, helping himself to a chuckle. "Finally crawled out of your nest, did you, Fallen? And where were you all when the last King was killed? Traitor to the king, perhaps the brat that styles herself in charge, yes... But not to my country, like your race has been. Spare me your trite words, bird. You will not last a minute."

Bladen had always imagined that a traitor's words would be easily brushed off. After all, their actions meant that whatever taunts they threw out were meaningless, hot air blustered in an attempt to prove that they were right in their path. But Ithraxl's words were aimed true, hitting him like an unexpected gut punch as he felt his energy escape him like a final gasp of breath. The world knew of his people's failures. His wings, flared wide, suddenly vanished, shrunk down small on his back, as his grasp on his magic failed. Unnoticed by him, the circle of swords that had gathered around his head as he used his shining swords of light throughout the battle suddenly flared in a bright burst of light before winking out of existence. He desperately tried to grab a hold of his magic again, but he could feel it like sand slipping through his fingers. Asami had warned him. Control his emotions or his magic would control him.

Bladen's Halo shatters!

And so he was left with his shield and his sword. No magic, no honor, the sins of his lineage casually tossed at his feet. Finally held account for the shame he had been trying to atone for. And what arrogance, to think he could. No wonder Xal was so angry at him back in those woods. He would never be able to pay her back, pay Thesephine back what his clan owed them. How foolish to even try. He should have gone home ages ago to mourn with his mother.

"All we can do is live with it. And I've learned that, no matter how much you want to blame yourself, all doing that does is get in your way."

Xal's words suddenly echoed in his head, shattering through the dark cloud Ithraxl had planted there. The words of someone hurting as much as, if not more than, him. He still wasn't sure he agreed with all that she had said. But in the here and now, some small part of her point rang true. He finally managed to look back up at the lizardman in front of him, grip tightening on his sword. "Yeah. You're right. We failed. I'll never be able to pay back what I owe, what my people owe, to the King. Maybe that really does make us traitors to the country." He tried, one last desperate attempt, to grab a hold of his magic once more. He could feel it, right on the edge, but it eluded him still. Fine then, he would do this on his own. "Maybe I'm foolish to think that I can make a difference in this world, repair some of the damage done by my people hiding in our forest. But. I can make a difference here. Maybe a minute is all I'll last. But I'll give that minute if it gives my companions... My friends. The chance to beat you."

"All those brave words. It took me a single sentence to tear down your confidence; good Gods, what are you doing here, whelp? I might just ignore you altogether, spare you your minute--"

"What matters, you ball of angry gas, is that he's here now!" Thessy charged into the hallway behind Bladen, spear pointed towards Ithraxl from the bird's side.
Thessy to12,22!

"Ah! A real challenge! Or so I should hope... How wonderful that you've decided me a true threat, My King! Tell me, can you really afford to be wasting time with someone like me? Perhaps Coteon will come back to finish what it started. Maybe if a certain coward leading the cause had chosen to fight like my father suggested, that worry wouldn't be on the table!" Ithraxl was smiling, but his scowl was heavy, scales starting to smoke, as if a heat was pouring out of him.

"What we need now is peace! Not more war! Not more lives lost! Coteon will be held accountable when Vaia is whole again... And you are in the way of any of that starting!"

"Naive words from a little girl trying her best to bear her father's failures! I will strike you down where you stand, take the throne, and lead Vaia onwards to a glorious future against the weak and feeble humans that DARE to invade us! Prepare yourself, you WORTHLESS SNAKE!"

"Khh..." Thessy didn't have the fire in her to fight back against such ferocious words, even if she wasn't convinced by them in the slightest... "Whatever he bellows, Bladen, I have not once held your people in contempt for being unable to aid my father. Monsters cannot stand up to the holy sword... Demanding them would've been the same as sending them off to their deaths." Not knowing what had happened to his father, Thesephine didn't mind her words, simply trying her best to match the lizardman's scowl.

--

That was her father yelling... "N-No..." Taliyah ran closer to the fighting, hoping to make it in time. She had to try. She had to try!

Taliyah to 16,23

"You do not get to decide who or what is traitorous you stupid lizard!" Xalrei roared from outside the hallway, unable to approach any further with all the congestion happening. "He's leagues above you simply by being able to face himself! Unlike you, throwing a gods damned temper tantrum and wasting lives that weren't yours to begin with because you didn't get your way!" Between Ithraxl besmirching Bladen, her father, and her sister all in about thirty seconds Xalrei was seeing red, Requiem gripped tightly in her claws.

"And you dare talk ill of our father even though you're nowhere close to even half the man he was! You couldn't even care for your own daughter, let alone lead this country! What makes you think you can handle a country if you can't even handle your own kin!? The only thing that's worthless here is you and your gods damned rebellion! You will be stopped, one way or another!"

Xal to 15-22 

"... Our father? You're a dragon, what--" The reality dawned on Ithraxl as Xalrei prattled on, smiling wide, his scales slowly igniting! "Two for the price of one! Both royal brats here, right in front of me!? What luck! What fortune! Stay right there, dragon runt... You'll fit this spear once I'm done with your sister!"

Asami to 17,21, dance Ness
+15 exp

"Nessraya," the fox began, worry on her face, "there's an odd magic about Ithraxl. I don't just mean the fires growing on him... That's his heritage as a dracolizard. There's something else, and I can't place it. Just, be careful. For all his hot air, I worry he can back it up."

"Tch..." Xalrei recoiled slightly from his use of runt, hitting suppressed trauma hard with a single word, unable to deny at least that part of herself. A shake of her head and she was back to snarling at him, however. "Kill us and Ralsvelgr will march down to Vaia himself and rend your head cleanly off your shoulders! You've lost, one way or another, so give up this farce you scum!"

Edited by Ursali

"Hiding behind the crusty old dragon of another country, now!? Where's all that bravado gone, RUNT!?" Ithraxl laughed, and his flames burst forth! Arms and weapon igniting, his magic on show for all to see. "No more talking, yes? You're all going to die. One way, or another..."