Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

There was what could best be described as a sudden increase in the tension in the battle; unavoidable, he supposed, given the circumstances and those here, though not entirely expected. It was best left to those more appropriate to handle things, however, and for that matter he still had a duty to attend to.

Seilan to 18, 21, Heal Asami.

"He certainly doesn't lack for presence... but we need only defeat him. Strong as he may be..."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hopefully it's that easy, Seilan... and thanks for the touch up~ What a gentleman."
Asami is healed
Seilan gains +15 exp, +2 staff wexp
Level up!
level 15

16	27	63	79	32	1	7	3

+HP/Mag/Spd/Lck/Def/Res!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Hmm..." The other mercenary became a charred corpse quickly enough, but the mage... seemed to be dazed just by Agni's fancy footwork.

...Well, that would do, he was getting a bad feeling from outside, he'd better finish this quick. One more chest, then exit.

Agni to 24,21, open the second chest.

It seemed Bladen intended to slow Ithraxl's advance... dangerous, but the young man seemed capable enough, a single bout with Ithraxl should have been within the realm of what he could handle...

Until his magic seemed to inexplicably fail. Nessraya wasn't sure what exactly had transpired, but it was clear at a glance that something was wrong. 

"Bladen, Ithraxl may be a blowhard, but he's more than a competent fighter! Brace yourself and prepare to fall back-" Nessraya began, but bad had brought it's friend worse to the party, and now not only had Thesephine taken a forward position and taunted Ithraxl, but Xalrei had joined her, revealing her status to a man who had every incentive to snuff out the royal bloodline, now that it had laid itself at his feet.

And they were continuing to taunt and rile him up, the dracolizard's magic beginning to swell. Worse yet, they were too far forward for her to intervene before the rebel general took his shot at either one of them, or at the shaken Bladen.

"ENOUGH! What was the one thing I have emphasized, above all else, all of this time?! Do not put yourselves in needless danger! Ithraxl's brash willingness to throw his men away is the reason he cannot lead this country, let alone her army. I will not watch you throw your lives away over this foolish blustering! Thesephine, I offered you command of this siege and you told me to keep it, so follow my command and fall back! I refuse to accept a rogue element on the field!" Nessraya barked, her cadence immediately shifting to that of a proper commander and officer. She gave Asami a nod in acknowledgment, as she moved up as far as she could, taking aim at Ithraxl's second in command. Even if she couldn't get between Ithraxl and the royal sisters in time, she could at least cover their hopeful retreat by removing one of their pursuers.

Nessraya to 14, 24, cast Tornado at Zask

"Just gonna... hang nearby and keep my head down..." Sneak sneak sneak, maybe a lizard would need a stealthy slicing...

Nisha to 14, 21

"Tch..." Thesephine flinched over Nessraya's yelling, grimacing as Ithraxl laughed even harder. He didn't even have to say anything, getting demeaned like that let his guffaw say more than enough. "F-Fine!"

Nessraya drops a tornado on Zask!
Roll: 15,50
Zask is twistered!
Nessrays gains +7 exp, +2 anima wexp!

Taiyute moves to 13,20

{hr}

Marina wasn't entirely positive on how she should react to Ithraxl's bellowing call that he entered the field. Maybe a tad of fear, some anger? It was clear which side had the advantage, wasn't it? Did he really think he was gonna make so much of a difference?

A bunch of callouts from people were already made, Ithraxl showing in a manner that showed he was either incredibly confident, or unfathomably stupid. Some other things that seemingly caught her attention (Xalrei calling Thesephine her sister) but they were thoughts for another time, this was...

Marina was almost enamored by this sudden speech from Nessraya. It was... Pleasing, seeing her prove that her position wasn't a fluke.

Marina took a deep breath. Was it really her place? In a group of people like this? It didn't matter,

"I agree, Nessraya," Marina's voice suddenly picking up more than normal, "It shows quite a lot who is the better leader when we didn't have to shell your own city to get here. If he wants to blow smoke up his own ass, it'll be all the more crushing for him when he loses."

There was a pause as he listened to his laugh. Now it's just gone from being anger-inducing to just annoying. "Honestly, now it's just incredibly sad. From a disgustingly overbearing confidence, and failure to acknowledge any of the terrible things you've committed to get this far, especially so, failing to acknowledge your own daughter, who wants so desperately for you to stop from getting yourself killed..." A deep breath, I'm sorry Taliyah, "You've decided your fate."

Marina holds position.

Edited by Silver Gallade

"My daughter...?" Ithraxl's gusto and laughter faltered for but a moment, scanning through the forces in front of him... She's not here... A bluff, then. "And you, little human, must be the reason for this nonsense in the first place. An angry little girl in way over her head... I'll leave you until the end, so you can see just how little your efforts matter here. Come on, where's your holy sword? The blade you used to ear Vaia's citizens to shreds! You dare to bark at me for what I've done when the blood of hundreds is on your naive hands? Do you even have a reason to be here!?" Another laugh left him, spear at the ready. "Surely you can't have become so altruistic so quickly. Kill the monsters and then save them? Do you even believe that? What a pile of shit. Heh..."

There was a moment of pause. Maybe a kernel of what he said was correct, but he wasn't there, he didn't know what Marina tried to do. What she had to watch...

"You don't know the first thing about any of that! I didn't want any of this! I was stupid enough to fight at first, I admit that, but I never raised my sword outside of Vinthor. My goals and Coteon's were different, and I was strong enough to stop them, hold them back, whatever. Don't you dare try to turn this back on me, when it's clear who is trying to save Vaia and who's driving it further into the ground!"

The tinge of anger he drove out, Marina was tired of hearing it. And more talk of this sword, this stupid sword...

"I don't need the Holy Sword. I can save Vaia and make meaningful change without it." Not that it would've worked anyway, "I swore to Her Highness I'd save her country. Everything caused, either directly or indirectly by me, caused by whoever idiot came before me, I'll carry with me and prove I'm better than that till my body is bled dry. Maybe I am naive, and I am a fool with no real direction, but I'm not taking that from some overgrown child who has no clue when he's lost."

It was all falling apart around him. The words of Ithraxl still echoed in his ears as suddenly he found The King herself behind him, recklessly throwing herself into the enemy's range when he had been trying so hard to keep everyone but himself out of harm's way. After all, he could take a physical beating. The emotional one he was getting though...

Demanding them would've been the same as sending them off to their deaths.

She couldn't know. How could she? The fate of an insignificant group of Fallen, who had failed to protect her family before... Why would she think they would show up this time, only to be slaughtered to the man? Add in the General yelling at him to retreat, that he was facing a fight he couldn't win, all of it was crowding his mind, pushing him down, distracting.

Xalrei was back there though. He had heard her, though not the words she was saying. Asami too, back there somewhere. Ayane with her anger, Taiyute, caught up in this war through happenstance... And Taliyah. The saddest part of all of this. So many people that Ithraxl was threatening to destroy. He shoved the anger, the sadness, the shame, all the emotions clambering for his attention out of his mind for now. He would deal with them later. For now, he had one goal. Maybe he couldn't beat the lizardman in a fight. That much he wouldn't argue with. But there was one thing he could do. And that was hold the line. Right there, in the small hallway, hold it and not let his sword or shield drop. He would protect those behind him as best he could, for as long as he could, until those stronger than him took the enemy down.

As Lavinia came up beside her, healing Gabriela, the sound of shouted voices carried out, an extended back and forth. The siren flew up ahead, to check things out no doubt, and there was no denying that was the right call. Jade smiled with a touch of resignation, "I suppose that's our cue then. I'll be just around the corner, if the big man kept on his warpath, that should be just out of his sight, yet maybe close enough to snipe at the rearguard. Catch up as you can; with any luck Gabriela and I can get the magical threat pruned down some before you arrive."

Jade to 8,29, Rifle Mage 4

Lavinia moved off before Lucille could say anything, heading off to heal up the Siren who'd taken a beating. Lucille took a deep breath, it was... odd having someone genuinely in her corner, and a monster no less. But it was enough for her; so long as she could cast magic, she'd make sure that she was worthy of that care. She looked down at her gloved right hand and squeezed it tight. She felt nothing in her hand, but she felt the faintest tinge of hope. She took Villkiss's reins, and headed towards the castle, they weren't done yet. 

Lucille to 6, 26 

Jade rushes in to go bang, hayah!
Roll: 88,3
JUST BARELY HIT
Crit!
66 damage!
Right through his head!
Jade gains +20 exp, +4 gun wexp!

Enemy Phase/Turn 13!

"Let's get this started, SHALL WE!?"

Ithraxl activates afterburner! Charges to 10,22!

"Show me your worth, Demon King of Vaia!"
Roll: 91,11
Miss!
"Come on, get closer! Face me like a real King!"
"Damned, over confident lizard!"
Thessy casts Fenrir!
Roll: 15,38
18 damage!
"We could have worked together, Ithraxl! Your grudge against my family and my friends ends today!"
"Khhh, hahahahah! At least you've got some bite to your bark!"
Thessy gains +10 exp!

Priest #2 casts Sleep on Bladen!
Hit rate: 58
Roll: 80
Miss!

Mage #6 hides behind a pillar!
Mage #3 hides behind Ithraxl!

Player Phase/Turn 14!

hFBEEYz.png

"Too much of a coward to face me yourSHehhgrahhh!"
Nessraya blasts!
Roll: 15,3
Critical!
84 damage!
Nessraya gains +37 exp, +2 anima wexp!

With a roar of pain, the Tornado ripped through Ithraxl's armor, covering him with cuts and lacerations. The commander collapsed to a knee, huffing, blood trickling onto the floor.

"... You were a fool, Ithraxl. This is over. Surrender now, and you might yet keep your life... Long enough to be judged in cou--"

"Shut... Up." A confident voice hit Thesephine, the dracolizard smirking despite the blood dripping off his body. "This... Is far... from OVER!"

With one swift motion, he grasped the ring on his left hand, and squeezed tight--

"GRRRAAHHHHHHH!"

A sudden upheaval of magic energy... A cloud of swirling darkness enveloped Ithraxl, and before long, dissipated... Leaving a dragon, back pressing into the roof of the fort, staring back at them all... A loud roar met the group, any sign of intelligence lost, blank eyes staring at them with pure hatred.

"Wh-What, in Hess' name...!?"

Corrupted Ithraxl appears!

306c405f3d.png

Taliyah was close enough to see what was happening now... Eyes full of horror and panic. "D... D-Daddy...?"

"Tch." Marina may have been too afraid to use the holy sword, but Ariana was cursing her for not having it on her person. Even if it killed me, I would have swung that damned thing. I know I could use it, there's no way...

Ari to 13,24

"Whhhhaaaa... Wh-What, what the fuck, N-Nessraya, what's going on!?"

Amera to 14,25

Bladen looked up at the towering dragon in front of him and he knew. He knew he stood no chance here. Looking at Thesephine, he shook his head. "I'm sorry your majesty, but I must pull back to let others who are stronger than me fight." His whole 'last stand' had been pointless after all. Pulling back, he looked at Xalrei. He knew from the look in her eyes what she wanted to do. "I can't stop you from charging in there. All I ask is that you take this." He held out the shield, hoping she would take it.

Bladen to 14-22, trade Xal the Hexlock Shield

"It, it's fine, Bladen! We all need to get out of here! Ithraxl, you bastard, what did you do? What did you DO!?"

"Now is not the time for panic, your highness~!"

Asami to 15,24, dance Ness!
+15 exp

"He's tough, but that's not a real dragon, and it's still forming! We can kill it just as easily as any other monster! Nessraya! Get in there!"

With one mighty gale, she had torn Ithraxl's armour and weapon to shreds, along with his body. There was no way he could fight in his condition. This was over. Or it should have been. It seemed Ithraxl still had one trick up his sleeve, breaking the ring he wore to summon some sort of magic, corrupting his form into- Hess below...

"ITHRAXL, YOU FOOL! WHAT GOOD IS SOME FINAL VENGEANCE IF YOU GIVE UP YOUR MIND TO ACHIEVE IT?!" Nessraya roared in disbelief, the vile perversion of magic nearly turning her stomach. How had he gotten this damn desperate, that he would stoop to such depths? Just to say he won? Their formation had begun to scatter at the sight of him... she had to put a stop to this. A push from Asami, she felt re-invigorated. No one else could do this. It was her burden to bear, as the root cause of Ithraxl's rebellion.

"Planning this all along... and you would call me a coward?!" Her wings flared, increasing the lift generated by the burst of magic that sent Nessraya hurtling down the corridor, directly into Ithraxl's face, and gaping maw. Tentacles tearing out from the stone floor and walls, enveloping the dragon's limbs, body, throat. Restraining, pulling Ithraxl's corrupted body towards the floor, crushing flesh and bone in their wake.

Nessraya to 11,22, TENTACLE SMASH Corrupted Ithraxl

Nessraya smashes and bashes!
Roll: 79,35
24 damage!
The dragon roars, snapping the tentacles trying to contain it, before BELLOWING a cloud of deadly breath onto Nessraya!
Roll: 25,59
27 damage!
Nessraya smashes him again!
Roll: 21,15
Critical!
63 damage!
Ithraxl collapses... Before a burst of magic invigorates him, the dragon roaring anew! Limbs repairing, scales healing, tentacles breaking around him!
Nessraya gains +50 exp!
Level up!
level 12

7	16	19	65	41	83	45	91

+HP/Mag!

"Nessraya!?"

Thessy rescues Nessy!

"T-Talk to me! Say something! Are you okay!?"