Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"Ghk!" Nessraya groaned in agony as the corrupted dragon's breath scorched her, enduring until Ithraxl went down. And then he got back up. What in the hell was this regeneration? It had to have a limit, Ithraxl didn't possess that level of magic...

As she felt Thesephine pull her back, Nessraya tightened the grip on her remaining tentacles, crushing down on Ithraxl's frame as he regenerated. She had to keep him immobile, even if her gambit had failed, if she could keep him down, the others could finish things.

"I'm... i'm fine. It's just a... just a flesh wound. Hrrk... urgh..." Nessraya managed, using what strength she had left to empower her lungs.

"EVERYONE, NOW! Before he completely transforms and breaks through!" 

___

"You got it, General." It seemed that was her cue. Taking aim at the crazed beast's head, Nisha loosed an arrow. She had been about to hightail it away from the damn thing, but you couldn't just ignore the commander going straight for the throat like that, could you?

Nisha to 13,22, curved shot with the steel bow!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Th-This is more than a flesh wound! Wh, what, even is... Urrrghh...!" Thesephine cursed herself for not taking healing classes seriously, doing what she could with her magic to keep Nessraya at the least stable...

Nisha looses an arrow!
Roll: 22,57
18 damage!
Nisha gains +14 exp, +1 bow wexp!

While Jade was reasonably she could survive one go with the raging dragon, with that mindless husk of the insurrection commander's former self, she wasn't sure she could put him down with a single shot. However, she'd seen the priest right behind him go on the offensive, and if he incapacitated whoever was holding back the bulkhead on the other side of the corridor... Or even if he just topped up the insane monster. No, better to remove that elf from the field, weather whatever hit came her way in the meantime, and then withdraw to safety.

Jade to 10,24, Rifle Priest 2

As Nessraya's magic tore Ithraxl to shreds and the loud-mouthed traitor collapsed into onto a knee, Xalrei couldn't help but feel like it had ended without a proper climax. All that bluster for nothing? A single spell from the general and he was just defeated like that? No, it wasn't that easy. Xalrei would get her unwanted wish as the traitor made one final act of defiance, crushing his ring to-- "What the..." Xalrei stared up in disbelief as the dark dragon began to take shape in the cramped corridor, Requiem held in a death grip.

People were already turning tail just at the sight of the monster, but not her. Teeth grit and with a snarl on her face she stood her goddamn ground even as the sensible side of herself told her to run, at least to regroup. She was not going to turn her back on this excuse of a usurper! As Nessraya roared and charged Ithraxl, someone, one of the oni, shoved a spear into her hands the shiver it sent down her spine told her was the dragon spear in their possession. Bladen wasn't long behind, understanding her with a look and offering her his shield. She nearly tore it out of his hands as she started her charge at the dragon as Nessraya demanded, wings flaring out as her magic electrified her limbs.

"I SAID I"D SHOVE MY SPEAR DOWN YOUR THROAT AND I GODS DAMNED MEANT IT!" She roared as she flew down the down the hall, spear aimed at the foul dragon's heart!

Xalrei to 11,22 finish the wannabe dragon!

Xalrei's cry was met with a roar, as the girl burst forth, driving the spear into the growing mass of almost-dragon... It struck true, but the beast wasn't done for yet, bellowing another cloud of magic and death onto Xalrei. Whether it was from determination, strength, or pure rage, the runt of the litter stood fast, stabbing the beast again. A hefty roar escaped what was once Ithraxl, as the dragon spear's magic began to erode the mass that was still growing, new scales slowly stopping, things starting to fall apart... With one final, weak, weak roar, the beast crumpled into a mass, dissolving, disappearing... Until Ithraxl stood there again, just as badly damaged as he had been before.

"What... A waste..."

A final gasp or words... And he collapsed.

Xalrei gains +100 exp, +2 lance wexp!
Level up!
Level 17

99	67	4	18	66	21	61	37

+Skl!

"D-Dad... Daddy!" Taliyah suddenly pushed past everyone, throwing caution to the wind, falling to her knees next to his still form. "D-Daddy! Daddy, please! Wake up! Wake up!!" Her shrill cries were enough to stir him enough, eyes cracking open. He tried to stand... But his body wouldn't move. With all he had left, he managed to roll onto his back, tired, nearly dead eyes staring at Taliyah.

"Why... Did you, c-come back...?"

"... Because, y-you're still, mmmmy, my dad..." Her dam burst, as the tiny lizard threw herself onto her father's hulking form, hugging him as best as she could.

"Mrrrghh... S-Stupid, girl... Shouldn't... S, See me, like this..."

The whole time the battle was fought, the jail cell had been shaking, the building had been rumbling, and those roars, the sound of fighting... It was a lot for Verah, who had been staring daggers into the guards holding her cell. "H-Hey! Are you three seriously gonna keep us in here after all this!? Do you even know what's happening anymore!?" She was upset, to say the least, and had half a mind to blast another one of them with a water spell...

"Sh-Shut up, you!" One of the knights barked back, gulping in his tin can. "L-Look... Look, maybe we should go and check? There's seriously something crazy going on out there..."

"I, I know that, but... If we abandon our post, we'll never hear the end of it!"

"Uuuuuuuugh!" Verah rolled her eyes, idly forming a ball of water.

"O-Oi! Mage! Put that down!" The soldier armed with a bow readied it, making Verah jump.

"Calm down! Hess' sake! I'm bored! I'm bored and I'm upset because this fight is over, and we're still in this damned jail cell... Ugh. Well, I hope you're all ready to throw down your arms." She scowled at them again, though they were confused.

"Wh... What do you mean? Ithraxl's gonna win! There's no way he'd lose to a group that small, no way!"

Verah scoffed, before looking away from them all. "Yeah, sure... His chances were pretty slim, last I checked... And that roar means only one thing." I was right.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"It's fine... see? I'll live." Nessraya managed weakly, slumping into Thesephine as the tension dropped, Xalrei's assault felling Ithraxl, reverting his transformation. It was truly over, now. Taliyah rushing over and cradling her dying father was... unpleasant to watch. The girl did not deserve to suffer witnessing such a thing, she did not bear her father's sins... and yet it had felt wrong to deny Taliyah her resolve in being present. Perhaps it had been a mistake, but...

"I am sorry, Taliyah. Necessity won't stop the pain, I know that. Mmmf... hate me for my part in it, if you must. Try to have it in your heart... not to blame the others." Nessraya coughed rather roughly as she spoke. Ithraxl's rebellion, and in turn, his demise, had come from a lack of faith in her ability. That was a responsibility she would need to bear.

Almost in a flash, it was over... Ithraxl laid defeated on the cold ground, but soon the feeling of relief had been replaced with more dread. Taliyah had finally made it, embracing her dying father in her arms. Cautiously, the gun and sword Marina beared in hand were slowly put away. She tried to approach,

"Ta--" Barely got out before she froze. Even after Nessraya spoke, there wasn't anything Marina could say, was there. She slowly backed uo two steps, letting the child and parent have their talk...

"This isn't... Wha, what mom... Would've ww, ww-wan'ed...!" Taliyah cried the words out, Ithraxl's face softening, even at death's door. "She... She was, s-ss, so ha, happpyyyy... With us... W, With, you... Why...!?"

"... Taliyah... I never, expected you, to understand. You're... You're too innocent. You've never, done anything wrong..." His voice was steady, but it was weak. "I saw her in you. Every day. You have your mother's, face..." A small choke, even the monster himself couldn't help tears, grinning at his weakness. "Damn it all... This is why I s-sent you away, Taliyah... I never... Never would've been able to..."

"You, didn't have to! Stupid! Stupid stupid stupid!" Weak fists banged against his chest, Ithraxl coughing, Taliyah continuing her wailing.

"... You. Nessraya..." Ithraxl urged his body to move, raising his head enough to stare at the general. He wore a scowl; he couldn't hide his hatred of her, despite everything. "You... Are everything, I have come to hate about Vaia... We're, soft. I was soft... Coteon, tore through us. Twice. We've done nothing... Nothing to stop the humans from destroying us. And then, you... Your, damned mother. Her half blood... It runs in you, and they choose, you... To lead our armies? Pfeh..." His body gave out again, collapsing against the floor once more, letting out a sigh.

"My wife. She was a human... They took her from me. Coteon. Just... For thinking it would be alright. To try and bridge, that... Gap. They took, her... And I... Had to then watch, as another damned hero. Stormed the land... Killed, o-our people... And now, gets off... With nothing but hard labor? No. No... I couldn't..."

"D-Dad... Just. Just, s-stop... It's... It's over, please. We, we have to h-help you--"

"I'm... I'm not going to last, Taliyah. My... My beautiful, daughter. I'm, so sorry... I don't expect anyone to forgive, me. I don't want them to... I did, what I felt was right... But, you... You shouldn't have..."

"N-No...! N-Nessraya! He, heal him, or, s-something, please! Please!! He's, I know he's done, terrible things, bu, but I, I, please...!" Her panicked face looked back at Nessraya and Thesephine, hoping for something, anything!

"... Tch..." Thesephine couldn't believe his reasoning had been so selfish, so basic, so stupid... What good would more war have done any of them? They had barely recovered from the last crusade when this one was launched upon them, what could they have done? Marched on Coteon and lost even more people, in a vain attempt at revenge? Something had to be done, at the very least, he was right about that, but more death and destruction wasn't it... "Nessraya... If, you can save his life, do so. Without harming yourself in the process... See that your wounds don't make it impossible." Ithraxl could rot in a jail cell for all Thesephine was concerned, but she couldn't help her heart aching at Taliyah's innocent pleas.

"So soft, indeed..." Asami sighed, as she came upon the scene, arms crossed. She wouldn't stop anyone from what they had to do, or felt they needed to, but she couldn't stand it all... Maybe she was irate from the feeling of her sister down the hall. We'll half to see to that, won't we? "Bladen, come with me. There's prisoners down that way... Don't ask how I know, just come and help me clear out the soldiers, if they try and stop us." Waving for the Fallen to follow her, Asami made for the nearby stairs, magic at the ready.

Amera was far less sympathetic to the dying dracolizard. Despite Taliyah's pleas and her crying, she stormed up to him and spit on his face, the man smirking in response. "You killed good men for this stupid plan of yours. Just so you could try and get what you wanted. Disgusting. You're the kind of monster Coteon tries to sell its people on... Pray to Hess for your luck that your daughter is here, or I'd smash your face into the floor and be done with this." Her words said, she turned back towards Nessraya, a softer look on her face. "Ness, can I help? Your wounds look pretty bad... I can carry you out of her, if you need me to?"

And Ari, Ari simply stood there, hand on her sword in case the man's magic wanted to spring up again. "This is why Coteon must be stopped. What a pointless insurrection... All for what? Pain and personal gain. Nothing right was done here, today..." She mumbled her complaints to herself and sighed, turning and walking away from it all, resting at the far end of the main hall. She couldn't help anyone, and part of her didn't want to. Ithraxl was reaping what he'd sowed. That was all there was to it...

"Jade!" Lavinia had finally made it into the fort proper, having heard all the ruckus and roaring before, unsure of what any of it was... It had sounded like a large beast, but when she arrived, the room was nearly empty... Save for the scene playing out in front of them. Ithraxl was defeated... And his daughter had to watch his last moments. "Jade, wh-what happened? All that noise, and over so quickly, just... What... Gods, poor Taliyah." Lavinia placed a hand over her mouth, looking away from the moment. She couldn't help feeling similar to Taliyah. A long buried memory of her crying over the body over her own family...

"We... If there's nothing to be done for him, we should let them be... I, I know he's done so much, and has so much to answer for, but..." Lavinia finally turned away from it all, holding herself, letting out a huff. Taliyah was far too young to go through this. No matter what kind of man her father had been, he was her father...

So the decision was doing what they could to save his life. Marina nodded in agreement, not that anyone would really notice at the moment, but she made a cautious approach. Removing her jacket she gently placed it over Taliyah's shoulders, and took her by the arms.

"Cone on, Taliyah," she gently motioned, her voice soft, "They'll do what they can, okay? We just gotta give them some room to work their magic. And I'll be right here."

As much as the man irritated Marina to an untold end, it was the near opposite with Taliyah. She'd tolerate him being alive if it made her best friend was happy. 

Edited by Silver Gallade

Lucille flew her way in, the castle was surprisingly more spacious than she thought it would be. Unfortunately, the surprises wouldn't stop there. The castle had been shaking and the loud roar from before... but the sight in front of her was curious. Was that the leader of this rebellion? General Nessraya was being supported by the Demon King --Thank goodness she was alright after all-- though the General looked awful, hit by something Lucille couldn't even comprehend. What in the world happened here... But... there was a young girl cradling the dying man and... was she crying? Lavinia couldn't bare herself to look at the scene. But Lucille had seen... and felt it all before. It was too familiar, almost eleven years ago she'd been doing the same thing before she was ripped from her home. Lucille felt lightheaded as understanding came to her...

"Is... Is he family to her?"

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Bladen felt his chest tighten up as Xalrei charge off at the giant dragon, knowing there was nothing more he could do. As she disappeared in a cloud of magical death, he held his breath, hoping... Hoping... And then he saw her. Spear held strong, bringing their enemy down. Only for Taliyah to come running past him, sobbing. He turned away, unable to watch this scene play out again. Searching through a pile of corpses, hoping against hope that he wouldn't see the one face that would completely devastate him... Her sobs echoed through the chamber and it was just too much. He needed to get out of here.

And then Asami appeared with a request. A job, something to do. Grateful, Bladen clung to her lifeline, a desperate man taking whatever escape was offered. "Yes, yes of course. Of course. Prisoners, good, we should rescue them, of course." Not even beginning to think of how she could know that, she was a spy after all, she had ways of knowing these sorts of things, he followed after her, quickening his pace to get in front of her as they approached the stairs to the jail cells. He quickly fled down the stairs, racing to find the prisoners and trying to escape the all too familiar wails that echoed through the hall and through his mind.

"You couldn't stand me because my heritage reminded me of your wife and daughter. What does my mother's blood have to do with anything, Ithraxl. I was chosen to lead our armies, because I was what we needed. You won battles under your command, but you always posted losses. None of my men died today, Ithraxl. And I think we can finally put to rest your boasting that I couldn't hold a candle to you in combat. You let your rage drive you, you were more concerned with destroying Coteon than in protecting Vaia. We could have invaded, maybe even destroyed them... but at what cost?" Nessraya coughed, leaning forwards onto Amera and beckoning the cat forward, hoping for some assistance to get closer to Ithraxl.

"We would have lost countless lives. More than Marina's crusade, more than your rebellion... that sort of war would dwarf both of those tragedies. And for what? Unless we burned Coteon to the ground and salted the earth, the survivors would see their vision of us manifest. They would burn with an even greater hatred than ever before, smoldering in zealous... and fully justified fury. Wars would never end. We would turn Hwein against us with such a brutal display, and lose all of our trade. So call me soft if you must, Ithraxl. Know I do this not for you, but for Taliyah." Nessraya finished, pulling out her staff and weakly touching it to Ithraxl with her tail. Squeezing Amera's hand, Nessraya needed to borrow some of her magic to even attempt this, she began to push magic into her staff, the head beginning to glow as the rejuvenating light engulfed Ithraxl-

-and nothing happened. His wounds didn't close, bleeding didn't stop. It was as though his body was resisting the healing process itself.

"Hess below, what did you do to your body, Ithraxl? Just what sort of madness did you concoct here, for your foolish ends?" Nessraya balked, leaning harder back against Amera as she stopped pushing magic into Ithraxl for naught, using the cat for support.

The siren ran in rather than flew - her wings had become rather heavy after that long battle. What she saw was.. horrible, to say the least. ''T-Tali...'' 

Taliyah was cradling the dying man, as the general and the king stood over him, clearly not happy either. Poor Taliyah, honestly. Gabriela hadn't faced the guy in battle, or even seen him before now, but seeing him dying, with Taliyah cradling over him... it was difficult to watch. She didn't know who the guy was to Taliyah, and hearing the pegasus rider near her, she wasn't the only one, but it's clear he was significant to her somehow. Gabriela would definitely go cheer Tali up later... she needed it, clearly.

"No! Let go of me!" Taliyah pushed Marina's hands away, clinging tight to her father... The panic worsening as Nessraya's healing didn't do anything. She didn't know what to do or say anymore... The realization was starting to properly sink in.

"Heh. Glass the whole damn country then..." He didn't share Nessraya's outlook on things, not in the slightest. "What good, have the humans of Coteon ever done... For anyone? They'll even kill their own. Kill their own over something, that doesn't affect them in the slightest... Savages. Monsters. A blight, on this g-great continent. They all... N-Need, to burn..." His rage wouldn't subside, even if his life would. "My final gambit cost me everything... That kind of corruption. You can't heal it... Ask, the oni, when you find her. Hahaha..." One last cryptic remark, his eyes slowly closed.

"Hero... I... F-Followed, my convictions. They got me killed, but... They. They w-were mine, and mine alone... What about you. Hero? What did you follow... Orders?" A final snicker, he left Marina with something painful to chew on. "Tamara... I'll... See...y...so..."

The general was dead. Taliyah was crying. A victory had been won, and not at a cost too great... Save for the heart of one girl.

"Are you going to be alright?" she offer Bladen, his answer to her request giving her some worry... It wasn't another minute before they were down the stairs and up into the cells, giving the knights guarding them a tired look.

"Ithraxl is dead, boys. I'll give you one chance to stand down before the pretty birdy kills you all." Asami smiled, clasping her hands together.

"Wh-What!? There's no way! There's..." One of the guards looked back over at Verah in her cell, the goat giving him a smile as she idly played with her ball of magic. "N-No..."

"Wh, What, what do we do?" Given the state of the two that had just come into the prison, there had been a serious battle... The blood stains and damage done to the both of them was evident, but there was no urgency in how they'd come in, nor their words. Was the battle truly over? Had Ithraxl, really...?

The archer dropped his bow, holding his hands up, shaking his head. "I-I don't want to die. I just, I wanted to get back... Get back at the humans for what they did. I-If he's dead, there's no hope for that anymore... Ju-Just, take me in."

Asami smirked, clapping quietly. "That's a good boy~"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

The battle has ended. Ayane finally felt her adrenaline and anger slowly leave her, as she leaned against the wall with a huff. 'This is...far more difficult than I imagined...' Ayane had finally resolved herself to face her own rage head on, but it seemed like she couldn't control herself after all. She rose her hand to her own bloodied lip. Not a single enemy reached her, no blade touched the princess. The only enemy that bested her was herself. "...dammit..." She grumbled to herself as she rubbed her own face. Injuries or no she needed her rest, and there was nothing to be done here so Ayane slowly got off the wall and-

"My final gambit cost me everything... That kind of corruption. You can't heal it... Ask, the oni, when you find her. Hahaha..."

"!" It only took that single word to catch Ayane's ear, just the one. She knew who it was too, deep down inside. "Ask the..." And her anger flared back up again as she rushed toward the scene, in the moment she completely forgot what was really happening and shouted. "What do you mean oni!? What oni?! Are you working with that witch?!" Ithraxl was at death's door, but Ayane didn't seem to care. "Answer me! ITHRAXL!" Sadly her words reached a dead man, his life had just left him. "...a-aaah..." Realization dawned on Ayane, she had lost herself to anger yet again and roared at Taliyah's dying father in front of her, who was entirely heart broken. The girl she told there may have been a chance to save him. "...Tali...Taliyah I...I'm sorry..." She mumbled in absolute shame. For losing it at a very fragile moment and for the false hope. Ayane never imagined it would end like this...

Deep down inside she hoped she wasn't gazing into her own future.

Edited by TheRoon

Marina froze when she was pushed away by Taliyah. She didn't know how to react to something like. But it had proven for naught. It seemed Nessraya's magic had no effect on the enemy commander who continued to die. A cryptic message that could only mean Ouka. And...

Marina's face went from its earlier shock to one... much less so. It was more anger. Who was he to continue to judge her actions. More assumptions of who she was... only this time she knew it was more accurate. She soon lost herself in her thoughts, her teeth clenched together as she held in her frustration while Taliyah bawled her eyes out.

Whatever Hell is here, I'm sure I'll be joining you when I get there. Judge me then.

Trying so hard to calm her nerves, Marina took deep breaths. Now she was the one distraught by some final, aggravating words. And along with all of that, there was the sudden outburst regarding Ouka...

As for Taliyah, she wasn't sure what to do. The most Marina could do was try to give her friend a soft pat, no words... Waving over to Ayane, but mostly referring to everyone in the room.

"Just... Let's give her some alone time." Marina stood and backed away some, turning to Thesephine with an inhale and exhale, and a nod.

"Your Highness, I'm going to take a look around the fort once or twice. In case of any leftover troops, anything we can salvage..." a minor pause, "and if he's related to Ouka, maybe we can find something to help lead us to her. Thank you," and with another nod she was already off.

And once again she was off with no direction on what to do and where to go... something echoing just a little louder than normal...

The genasi had taken several breaths as the fighting finally stopped. However, it was quite clear that their victory came at a hard cost. The poor lizard who just lost her father. That poor, sweet child...

However, what caught Taiyute's gaze was the Not!Hero making her way away from the chaos. Perhaps that'd be the best way to go.

Approaching Ariana, Taiyute proceeded to surround her in a little wind bubble, surrounding the girl in a comforting breeze.

"Forgive me for intrusioning, and if this sounds rude. But you are like Marina, yes? She finds this quite relaxing. If you do not I can... I will stop for you."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"RRRRAAAGHHH!" Even as the dragon's breath ate away at her life Xalrei tore the dragon spear out of Ithraxl's chest and, with a final cry, speared the monster through its maw! Disengaging as the beasts' form became unstable Xalrei landed, staring, watching, waiting for Ithraxl's next trick. But there was none, the lizardman finally crumpling to the floor. For a brief moment Xalrei felt nothing but peace; the man threatening her sister's title was finally defeated. Then came Taliyah's cry, Xalrei's core freezing as guilt just as quickly gripped at her heart. She had entirely forgotten about her tiny half-dragon friend during the fight, driven into a rage by her father's words. She knew there was no other way, the man was too steadfast in his path --his words even as he slowly bled out proved that point-- but it was her motives that burdened her conscious now more than her actions.

Part of her wanted to try to console Taliyah, but, with her father's blood still literally on her hands and clothes, she instead slinked off towards Thesephine, collapsing against the wall as she let the dragon spear slip out of her grip. "We, We won, right? We saved our country from civil war, your right to rule is safe..." A long pause, Xalrei's gaze lowering to her feet then back up towards her sister when she finally spoke. "Why do I feel so bad, then...?"

Edited by Ursali

"That was a warning shot," Jade lied to the priest before continuing with an ultimatum for him and his friend. "Drop you staves and weapons and line up against the wall if you want to live." With their general dead--dying?--it seemed the smart bet to take for any remaining enemy forces, but it couldn't hurt for her to verbalize the demand for their surrender.

Speaking of dead and dying, thankfully the zombie was far enough away from the wounded (on both sides) that so long as she wasn't looking at them, it wasn't a difficult matter to keep an unpleasant... urges under wraps. Putting a little more purposeful distance between herself and them, and... ah, here came the rest of the side-door squad. The sight of Lavinia, Lucille, and Gabriela's arrive, after everything had wrapped up, not even in time to see the climax--much less contribute to it--asking 'what happened?' It really sparked the sudden wonder in the zombie of whether anything they had done on their little trek had even mattered for the assault. But those were certainly not the sort of thoughts one could speak out loud.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure quite how to describe it," Jade struggled to explain the events that had occurred to her new-come friends. "Most of the action was around the corner, out of sight, I didn't even properly engage with him myself, was focused on corralling his support troops and keeping them from causing trouble. But at one point Ithraxl transformed into a dark blue dragon," her pitch turned upwards here, questioningly. "It was rather massive given the available space here. As his life began failing him, it seems that power has come undone..."

As for the pegasus rider and her question, Jade merely gave a thin, tight-lipped smile and nod in response, then changed the subject. "How is Vilkiss?" The woman herself seemed not to have been physically hurt, just some exhaustion from spellcasting at worst, but there had been something of an episode, she remembered, though she'd been too far to see quite what had gone on. Her best guess was something had spooked her steed and it had taken a bit to regain control.

It wasn't until after Jade had spoken that she realized she might be coming off the wrong way, caring more for the pegasus than the human.

The Zombie's nod was the final confirmation necessary. Even if she hadn't seen it all happen, she was watching family member leave a grieving child behind. Was this... what they were after? The battle was over; they had won, but it didn't feel like it at all. He was the leader of the rebellion, wasn't he? Then why... was she... Lucille's temper started to bubble. Who was he to her? Why was he fighting against Vaia? But she knew that answer. It was just another bitter reminder of the costs of war... a war that Coteon and the Church were responsible for igniting. The Zombie quickly changed the topic to the wellbeing of Villkiss. Had she noticed? "Oh... uh," Did... I introduce Villkiss at some point? Lucille fumbled around a moment trying to recall when the Zombie would have learned Villkiss's name. "She's fine... Fortunately, no one out there was able to hit us. Though that's mostly thanks to you and the Si--" Lucille cut herself off, still bristling at the winged woman for her words. Still, her physical wellbeing was largely tied to her holding the line with the Zombie. So even if it wasn't now, she'd have to thank her too. 

Thinking about thanking the Siren also brought another thing to Lucille's immediate attention... she was very wobbly. With the fight over, the adrenaline was starting to fade. The exhaustion from casting was fairly standard, but it in tandem with having to keep herself together after Naomi's gruesome end? Lucille's body felt like a heavy stone. But things weren't quite over yet. Having to watch the young girl cry over her father... it was the very thing Lucille wanted to put an end to; the very thing she wanted so desperately to avoid. She leaned forward on Villkiss's back in an effort to conserve what energy she had left. A bit embarrassing to be so out of sorts when she couldn't imagine what happened in here, and what the Zombie and Siren had to go through. She needed to keep it together a little while longer.

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

"I'll be. Fine." He didn't have more words than that right now, not with the pain of Tali still echoing in his ears. Thankfully, there was very little need for him to do any speaking once they hit the prison. Asami, in her own casually threatening way, pretty quickly had the guards on their back feet, one quickly surrendering, the others confused and concerned. Kicking the archer's bow to the other side of the room, after all one can never be too careful, he placed one hand on the knight's sword hilt. "Now then. Don't do anything stupid, yes?" Reaching down, he carefully unhooked the jangling keys from the man's belt with his free hand, before backing up again. "I would surrender like your friend here though. The King does not take well to traitors, but she might be willing to spare your lives after the bloodshed today. But if you'd rather face her with sword in hand, I'm sure we can accommodate that?"

He tossed one key to Asami while still keeping an eye on the armored ogre and beastkin. "Here, you grab one door, I'll grab the other. Hopefully our two guards here will have decided to side with their smart friend by the time we're done." He moved to the further of the two doors, still keeping a close eye on the two guards, before slipping the key into the lock and turning it quickly. Without looking into the cell, he commented "Come on out then, whoever is in there."

"Stubborn to the end, huh? How like you, Ithraxl..." Nessraya muttered... it wasn't that she couldn't understand the sentiment... truly, the church of Coteon held no virtue to speak of. But not all citizens living under it were the same. There were people like Lucille, coerced against their will, and surely others who merely echoed the sentiment for fear of their own safety. Condemning them all to the sword just to erase the church... it left a foul taste in her mouth. 

"We need to make sure we secure the perimeter. So tha-" Nessraya began, but as she tried to step forward, she immediately collapsed back onto Amera. Using her magic seemed to have been the last straw on her body, the General starting to slip in and out of consciousness. By this point, the myriad wounds left on her by Ithraxl's corrupted breath were beginning to bleed through her clothing and onto the cat, as well.

_____

That was that, all dealt with. Ithraxl went down to a flurry of blows from the enraged dragonewt, and a few folk had gone off to look around the areas of the fortress they hadn't stormed during the battle. Slinking off for a few moments, Nisha eventually found who she was looking for a ways away from the main battle line. Seilan had been slinging thunderbolts as per usual, so he wasn't near the front line. With the General looking pretty worse for wear, what he was, was their new primary medic.

"Hey Seilan, a few folk took some bad knocks taking down Ithraxl. You should really get your butt up to the front."

The battle is over, and they won...but the victory tastes like ash and cinder in Bridgit's mouth at the scene transpiring in front of her.  "What a right mess," she says softly, leaning against her umbrella as she feels her wounds take toll on her immortal body.  While there is a part of her that wants to comfort her friend, another part simply wants to make her way towards Lavinia and slump against her in familiar comfort.  This reminds her too much of that time, empathizing on the death of a family member as she closes her eyes and lets out a shuddering breath.

Whatever, she'll pick herself up.  Continue marching on.  Time waits for no one, even one as herself.

"Well, at least with this we only have a few more threats to deal with," she continues on, grimacing at the poor state everyone's in including herself.  "I don't suppose we could take a small respite before moving-"

She stops, wincing at the oni shouting at the corpse before apologizing at Taliyah for her rash actions.  "Quite the tact you have there," she remarks, giving Ayane a look of disdain as she goes to direct her next words at Ren.  "Might want to reign in your cousin...ah?"

Bridgit falters as she looks over at the older oni, who simply stares on blank face over to Ayane.  There's an...eerie air about it, one that sends a shiver down the Pureblood's back, but it all shifts once he breaks out of the unusual stare and looks over to her with a familiar annoyed look.  Honestly that's more comforting than...whatever that was.

"Oh shut your mouth brat, we've all been through a difficult experience.  Especially Taliyah, so the least you could do is show some sympathy," he retorts, earning a scoff from the vampire before he makes his way towards Gabriela and Ayane to make sure they're fine.  The Pureblood gives him one more odd look before heading over to Lavinia herself, blond hair trailing behind her.  

The girl had waited at the side of the cell door. She could hear noises and yelling, but not what was being said...

Suddenly footsteps and the jingling of keys came closer to the door. This was the time...

Her and Taiyou could escape!

When the cell door opened and a foot barely in the door, there was a sudden loud yell as this small child burst from the corner towards Bladen.

THWAP!

This young girl proceeded to continuously smack at the fallen with her broom, dust remains flying out with each hit. It was almost obvious that it didn't have any effect on Bladen. In fact, it was quite annoying, but this girl continued at it. 

He hadn't really thought about how he would be greeted by the prisoners in the cell. Thanks perhaps, maybe some happy faces, even some disbelief. However, even if he had made a list of the top one hundred reactions, him getting hit right in the face with the bristle end of the broom would not have ranked... anywhere on it. The sheer surprise had him stunned for at least three solid whacks with the broom before he reached out and grabbed the head of the broom and looked down at the... teenager wielding it. Well that made it make a little more sense at least. "You do realize that hitting your saviors with a broom is not the most conducive way to making them like you, yes?"

He paused, taking a closer look. Humans, the both of them. And judging by their outfits, not from around here either. He sighed, letting go of the broom. "A piece of advice? If you insist on using a broom as your weapon, try using the other end. It might be a little more effective. Otherwise, consider something a little sharper." Shaking his head, he turned around. "Well come on then. Asami, two humans in this cell. Look to be foreigners possibly."