Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"Ah..." Agni held Taliyah's hands, taking a moment to... process her feelings. "Of course you are still be allowed to be friends, but for now, you should try to heal yourself. Figure out what you want to do from now on." As much as he wanted to help her through the process, Agni figured it was a time where Taliyah would need to learn to gather inner strength on her own. "Your father made his choices, and the other monsters responded in kind... but you are not tied to them, nor are you a bad daughter, you did your best to save your father." He reached out a hand to pat her head.

"You don't have obligations to anyone now, save for yourself. It's a lot, but I have no doubt you can think on that."

"Correct, I am Taiyou of Sado. My mother, Himiko, went to your family's aid before that tragedy happened." Taiyou returned Ayane's answer with a brief nod. "It saves me the trouble if we're both agreeing on what to do to Ouka, then. I'm going to kill her as vengeance for my mother." There was a short pause, as Ayane felt cautious for... some reason.

"Hm? What is it?" Taiyou tensed up, trying to look at where Ayane turned her attention to.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... Maybe." Ariana had almost agreed with Marina's request to return it, but that would've been a lie. The girl couldn't be trusted with such power as things were, so Ariana was going to do her best to be honest about how she felt on the situation. There wasn't much else to add, as Marina collapsed against a nearby stump, Ariana taking slow steps after her and sitting down near her. "Uhm... So... I, er, I told you about, Ayane. How do you... Do you, feel anything for anyone, here? I know it's only been a few weeks, b-but... Well, life threatening experiences bring folk closer together." It was true, even if she felt weird saying it. Being forced to trust the people around you to have your back made them closer than anyone could possible be.

"Mrrrhh..." The wolf let out a tiny growl at being pet, but only for a moment, settling into enjoying the sensation. "Rest and recharge... Ma, na? That? What?" Suki had no concept of what magic was, other than something that fancy people did, Amera never having sat her down to explain the subject. She knew to dodge a fireball as best as she could, at the least. "How fix?" Was it like sleep? Some sort of spell? A ritual? Words she'd heard before in correlation to the subject, but once again, never had explained. "I like help... So, if can help... I help!"

"Yes, Verah... Well met, Lucille, Seilan, Jade~ Ahah... Sorry for the prying and scrying, little miss zombie. I have a habit of looking into names before talking to folk... If I was looking into anything more, you'd feel it, know I was, and probably be preeeeetty angry at me. Worry not! Please." A bit of an awkward laugh followed; her bad habit had already left two of them on guard. At least this Seilan seemed amiable, despite that. "I'm from Vaia! I was doing my best to assist miss miko, over there, when she was assailed by Ithraxl's men, but... I'm just one mage. Overwhelmed and tossed into a jail cell for 'betraying my people and assisting a human'. Drivel, to be sure. I get what's going on with Coteon is a problem right now, but saying all of you are awful, like, did they just forget about an entire country? Honestly, nonsense. Like, this one time, I was doing my roadside gig like normal, some human comes up, all nice, asks for their fortune, probably traveling from Hwein, and halfway through some wolf dude gets all pissed, coming up to us, telling the guy to get outta here-- Heh, one good spell shut him up, and really, he deserved it, because... I, er... uh... H-Haha, rambling. Sorry."

A huff and the spinning of a bit of their hair, Verah smiled, offering up a shrug. "Figure I'm either gonna go back to scrying or... Maybe find a more permanent gig? What's this group up to now that you've liberated the people of Vaia from civil war?"

"We're not strong enough," Yui began, at Bladen's question. "Not strong enough to block each other completely. Even if we are our own personalities, we are still parts of a whole, and Tamamo is the center of that whole. While reduced in strength, she holds a certain level of dominion on us, and thus is free to open or block our connection to her at her whim... We do not share that ability. Perhaps... Well, no. That would be bad--"

"Perhaps if a number of us were to combine, Yui?" Asami cut in as Yui tried to shift away, making the blind fox sigh. "You know none of us would ever agree to that. We don't want to be apart of her anymore than we want to be a part of each other. This sort of thing is permanent. It's not something we can do for fun and extra power."

"I know... Still, if we need to--"

"We will NOT, need to. I'll die before I give up my freedom. Hh." Asami huffed, looking away from Yui, arms folded.

"... Some of them wish to rejoin with Tamamo because they wish to relish in her power and the destruction of things. We are not... Monsters, like you all. We are being of good, evil, indifference... Some of us were created evil, more than half of us, as part of Tamamo's true nature. They revel in it, so even if they were to give up their freedom, they would still experience it all through her eyes. The slaughter, the conquering, the death. It is an unfortunate truth, but it is one we must live with. Some of our sisters are... Twisted, in ways that cannot be untwisted." Yui finished with a somber look, turning her head away from Bladen.

"Like Akira. Bitch. Kill her if you see her, Bladen, there's no negotiating with that murderer. I don't care if she has my face, or my voice, don't hesitate." Asami continued to be outspoken on the opinions of some of her kin, much to Yui's chagrin.

"Heal myself..." Taliyah took a moment to herself. No words, no sniffling. She had to think on what Agni had said, and seriously. While she wanted comfort, his words were more than that. As the daughter left behind by her parents... She needed to be strong, didn't she? No matter how hard it was to get there. "... Okay." She was still crying, but as much of a smile she could muster had broken out on her face, nodding. "I'm going to leave, Marina alone, for now. I know she didn't do anything today out of spite at me. This wasn't a personal grudge, or something she could have avoided... And the talk... As much as, it angers me, she's right. My father... He... he was trying to destroy something that a lot of people hold dear. Even if it cost him, and me... A lot." Taliyah let out a sigh she'd been building. She still didn't accept her father's death. He should've been spoken to, she should've been let through, anything... But they went on the attack right away. Even if it was right, even if it was 'just', they hadn't tried, hadn't let her try... That pain would eat at her for a long time. "I don't think... I'll talk to Marina for, a while. A long while, maybe... Is... is that fine?"

"Ah, ah, ah... Guard down, princess~" The luscious voice split the silence of the night, Ayane's ears and instincts right to have heard something. "I do not come on behalf of anyone. You're still alive, so I trust you'll believe me~ An invisible assassin could have easily taken a few of you out were they here on orders from Ouka, yesssss...?" Silvery words flowed out, but from nowhere specific. The grass rustled, the direction of the voice changed. She was clearly moving around quickly, trying to keep Ayane guessing at her actual place.

"Now," suddenly, the voice was behind her, near the group, "I'm here for exactly one person. It isn't you, it isn't Ren, or either of the kitsunes... I'm here for you, my loving wife~" A hand placed itself under Taiyou's chin, as the rest of the oni appeared behind her, her other arm hugging Taiyou tight. "So pretty, so cute... Ahhhh, I was going to wait until later, but with miss Princess noticing me... The jig, is, up~" The pink haired oni wasn't presenting a weapon, not yet, though with Taiyou in her grasp, it was anyone's guess whether she was being honest or taking a hostage.

"I'd prefer if none of you attack me! I really didn't come here to make any enemies, or hurt anyone... I just... Wished to see my destined lover, face to face, so very badly, that I broke free of Ouka's control, and made my way over here against her orders~ Shall I tell you a secret... To quell your worries?" As her words finished, her tongue ran itself along Taiyou's ear, the hug tightening. "We'll have plenty of time to get to know each other... Priestess~"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It was good to know that Jade was just as off put by the new arrival, even if it was for slightly different reasons. Seilan on the other hand, seemed to be more than fine with her sudden appearance. It made sense for him to be much more comfortable around monsters; Hwein was where both cultures convalesced, often harmoniously. So he also probably had a handle on scrying as well. Lucille listened as best she could to Verah's explanation. "Pretty angry would be an understatement..." Lucille replied with her eyes narrowed. Lucille really didn't like the idea of someone being able to peek into her affairs without her say so, but she would know when it was happening, and it seemed like Verah had some self preservation skills. Still, not a good start to the conversation. But Verah's continued explanation of how she came to be here lessened the tension that Lucille felt. "So... you were captured because you tried to stop Ithraxl's goons from attacking a human?" From Verah's explanation, it sounded like there hadn't been much of a consideration for her own well being in this scenario. It wasn't every day that a monster was going to put their life on the line for a human, but well, this group would probably have proven otherwise. So she seemed a little more trustworthy than her opening statement made it seem. But only just. Lucille considered asking about the woman's affinity but the conversation was taking more out of her than she thought it would.

Lucille leaned back against Villkiss's back. "Well... I think Jade or Seilan can better explain what's happening... I," Another yawn, "Sorry... I just joined. So I don't have the details other than we'll be heading to Hwein." She eventually mumbled out. That admission made Lucille feel a little more out of place amongst the group. 

Thinking about Hwein, Lucille realized that going by her real name would be... problematic. Coteon was fairly prominent in the region to her understanding, and the Altair Family name was still well known in Coteon. The main Altair Family was still fairly buddy-buddy with the church despite their decline. Using her name while traveling with a Vaian outfit--even discounting the issue with her immediate family--could be a whole mess of problems that she really didn't want to subject anyone to. She'd need an alias for the future. 

"Mhhm. I guess I'll have to give that girl my thanks, then. We didn't get off on the right foot when we first met, but I'm willing to look past that if she helped keep you safe, no matter how passively. And you really gotta work on that anger, Thessy. It's worrying, for more reasons than just you possibly swinging at us." Sollowly couldn't help the small frown as Thessy offered more assurances about her anger issues. She was better than when they'd met, but now her judgement was biased; there was now much more concern on her own end on what sort of trouble that uncontrollable anger would land Thessy in. "Mn. M-- Hwha!?"

Sollowy was just as surprised as Thesephine, possibly more, as Lavinia all but ambushed the two of them. The fairy still didn't quiet feel at ease around the vampire; Thesephine's mother in all but name hadn't been pleased to learn that the one thing she had explicitly warned Sollowy from doing, laying hands upon the Medusa, had occurred regardless of said warning. Between her and Nessraya's father, that was two mortal threats before the upset nobles were even accounted for. And now Thessy was putting her on the spot! She'd pay for that later...

"A-Ah, uh, y-yeah!" Came her shaken response. She gulped, nearly audibly, before continuing. "She's been, working on it with me. She can at least spar with me without going wild, even if she still doesn't take missing me that well, either..." There was no point in trying to lie to Lavinia, the vampiric caretaker would either see through her on the spot, or would if given any time to inspect Thesephine's sparring habits.

Xalrei had torn her claw back from Tenna nearly the instant it had been grabbed, much more a visceral reaction to the touch of the human princess than any intentional mean-spiritedness on her part. Though, that didn't mean she was above behaving in such a way. "If you ever do work up the courage to fight with a bunch of monsters I'm going to do my best to avoid you. Just having you nearby would make me fight worse." Though it was true, in that it would nag at the back of her mind just like being near any other human did, directing it solely onto Tenna was perhaps a bit harsher than even she had intended. Not willing to offer an apology, but also feeling like she'd accidentally stepped on a puppy, Xalrei at least conceded to Tenna's plea. "But if you think you can prove me wrong, go ahead and try, I guess."

Edited by Ursali

"Y-Yeah! See? I'm getting a lot better! You know I used to lose my cool completely when it was just us sparring..." Thesephine pouted, holding her arm, seeming like quite the little girl in front of Lavinia, rather than a king of demons.

Lavinia merely sighed. "Ugh... You need to do a lot more than 'get better', at it... Sincerely, it's incredibly worrying that you're... Like this. I realize that it's because of your magic, but..." Lavinia bit back another sigh, not wanting to seem like a broken record. It truly was Thesephine's magic that made her act like this. Gorgons and Medusas were unstable creatures when young. They would easily lose sight of their mystic eyes and wreak havoc were they not taught properly from a young age, or helped along with their magic. Lavinia could only do so much, without Thesephine's father here to guide her properly... The girl had almost stopped stoning soldiers in the castle. Almost... "Well... Progress, is progress. Speaking of... I'm sure you've been... Keeping away from her, while we were on duty, Sollowy...?"

A pointed question, to be sure, and one that made Thesephine gawk! "M-My, love life is no concern of yours, Lavinia! Especially not with you making eyes at that zombie, honestly, how d-dare you lecture us about... Urgh!" Thesephine huffed, tail swatting the ground. Lavinia hadn't expected Thesephine to point out her own relationship, stammering for a moment, trying to find the words.

"I, we... Are, very professional about not letting it get in the way of, proper fighting, and staying on guard. That's all I was, worried about... Mmn. Never mind... Do you know when you will be seeing to Yggdrasil?" Lavinia turned to a serious topic. "It would be best to get to the bottom of this... Ouka problem, right away, yes?"

"... Yes. So long as it's on the way to seeing to Hwein's occupation issue, we'll make sure to stop in and check. I've yet to speak with Yggdrasil... Even if my father has, so it would do me well to learn, just what exactly the world tree is like."

"I, I didn't... You're, nnn, n-not a monster, you're a p, person, I... X-Xalrei..." Tenna shrunk, having been well and truly denied by the dragon... It hurt, but the remarks weren't things she'd been surprised by, and she did her best to take them in stride. When she was offered the chance to so much as try to channel her healing into the dragon, she picked up, smiling gently. "A-Alright~ I'll do my best." With permission, this time, and making sure Xalrei was watching and aware, Tenna gently took hold of her claw... Slowly pushing her magic into the girl. There was immediate resistance... But not because Xalrei was a monster, or a dragon, or anything like that. It was almost as though Xalrei was focusing on denying the interaction, doing her best to get the incoming magic to leave her system, even if her capabilities were weak and couldn't stop it completely. "So... This, i-is a mental block..." It wasn't that surprising, for Tenna. She couldn't blame her, either... "I, I can work on, it. Get better... Try to make it and, you more comfortable. Promise..."

Ayane kept Taiyou's words in mind. Sado...and her mother Himiko. She seemed to recall both actually, the island of priestesses. She briefly met her too, a very dedicated woman. However now...well now wasn't the time to think on it, not while this assassin was flying around like an annoying wasp. "...my current state of health is no reason to simply trust an assassin sent by that woman." She drew her katana and took a stance, trying to zero in on the girl. "Show yourself, or I'll start burning your cover."

Though it didn't take long for her to finally show herself, the girl popped in behind her which caused Ayane to turn to her. She was ready to run her through, but...then the most unexpected thing happened. She kept Taiyou close, and called her her "loving wife". Such actions caused the princess to raise her brow in absolute confusion. "...what?" She turned tilted her head, but kept her blade out still very much on guard. "You...mean to tell me that you broke free from Ouka's magic from...the sheer power of love alone, to meet with Taiyou?" A moment passed after she said that. "Assassins come in many forms and disguises, but this is by far the most ridiculous."

"Of course, Taliyah, you need your time. Don't force yourself to talk to Marina yet." Agni continued to offer if only his words as comfort. "You sacrificed a lot, Taliyah, but know that I am still here for you, if you still wish it. You still have friends here, and wherever you decide to be, I am sure your kind sould will find more."

"Who--" The assailant was absurdly loudmouthed, keeping Taiyou on edge, "Stay by me, Shizuka." Whilst weaponless, Taiyou put herself on guard. The Assassin finally showed herself, speaking nonsense about a destined lover, and gesturing at... her? Wait--

"Ugh! W-what?! What is the meaning of this? Unhand me!" Taiyou yelled in response, fighting the pink-haired oni's embrace. An uncomfortable shiver, a loss of composure as this oni very rudely invaded her space, Taiyou tried to elbow her and escape her grasp. "What are you talking about? Are you delusional? I am Taiyou, next in line of Sado, I do not have a lover nor suitor, neither have I met you!"

"Mmm, well, if joining is what it would take to block each other, then no, we don't want that. I don't want to... Er, well, either way, I uh, I understand now." He nodded thoughtfully, considering the two's words. "Not monsters, but beings. I suppose that makes sense, that you are different from all of us on a fundamental level. Given, well, everything with, uh, her." Don't say her name, don't say her name. it was harder than he had thought it would be, when he'd first learned about it. After all, it was normal to refer to someone by their name, a habit that he had never even thought about until he was told not to say a name. It was funny, told not to think about a specific thing and now it was all he could do to not think the exact word...

His internal musings on the nature of names and habit was rudely interrupted by Asami's... instructions? Command? "K-kill. Right. Uhm. I, uh, suppose that you know best how your. sisters. are twisted. But, uh, err, mmm. I don't think it would be easy. To attack someone that looks like you. I guess, w-what color is her hair? Since it seems like you all have different colored hair? So I don't accidentally kill the wrong sister. Is all. Yeah." Kill an Asami copy... Could he really do that? He knew it wasn't actually her but even still, the thought let his insides twisted.

"Ah, good! It would pain me to know that my friend was suffering..." The tall star smiled down at the smaller vampire, not noticing any hesitation that might have been there. "Yes, I was quite safe. Although there were Church forces behind us, thine ruler was able to distract them whilst others of us hid away. It was not enjoyable, I must say. I wished that I could have helped thou in this fight, but I know that I would simply be a hindrance. I know not the way of weapons and while I have what you all would call magic, it is for the shaping of star light, not for fighting. So I must instead find ways to help after the fact, and simply hope for you all to come home safely."

The goat woman's explanation was mostly reasonable. Certainly warded off any overt anger on Jade's part, leaving just minor rumpled feelings and a slightly guarded attitude. The merchant could well imagine seeing herself in Verah's shoes, had she such easy access to those sorts of abilities.

"That does sound a rather awful position to find oneself in," the zombie agreed, as the newcomer elaborated, her smooth and wandering style of speech doing its part to ease concerns as well. A technique Jade also employed as part of business, but that was part of its charm, it had an effect even if one were rather used to it. Lucille seemed to be warming over as well, but perhaps that was just the fatigue talking, as the rider swiftly deferred question-answering to the others.

"Well, I know that Hwein has been having problems of its own, so perhaps that is the next step? Though there are some other foreign threats as well," the oni's story came to mind here, and surely it wasn't the only other danger than the Church. Turning to Seilan for the man's own input on circumstances, she asked directly. "What sort of arrangements did you manage to secure in exchange for your assistance, I have been somewhat removed from a lot of the decision making processes of the higher-ups... though perhaps I should speak with Lavinia about changing that, becoming more involved on that front personally..." Jade pursed her lips and mused about possibilities. There were a lot of thoughts about the future and going forward, and just where her place fit in the scheme of things.

"How I feel?" Marina sighed, nibbling at her bread, starting to not feel hungry anymore, but she needed to eat. She pondered for a moment until her mind when back to Yukari. The closest she was to that... "Well, sorta... It's a weird story." Thinking about it, Marina sighed again, "I just... I'm not sure how to explain it. Maybe later, just... not right now. Maybe when my feelings on it, and I guess, in general, are better, okay? Is that alright?"

"Okay M-Miss-- H-waah?!" Shizuka was caught by surprise in regards to the sudden oni that approached. It-- She, seemed largely interested in Taiyou, and Taiyou very much wasn't interested in her. Her knife was still in hand, ready to help Taiyou in a moment's notice, but she feared if she approached and this oni would harm her.

The introduction was quickly interrupted by a sudden presence. An Oni? Interesting that one of them should show up. And even more interesting was that she seemed very interesting in Taiyou, though the feeling wasn't mutual. But the name she mentioned was strangely familiar... ''Ouka? Please, release her at once! What are your terms?'' Gabriela tried to calm the situation down, but the panic in her voice was clearly heard by anyone with ears.

He let himself relax a little. Verah seemed innocuous, if a bit rambling, but that was of no real concern. And if she was looking for work, well, he saw no reason to deny her. "There's certainly more fighting for us in the days to come. You might want to ask one of the Vaian commanders if you'd like to join; I'm sure they wouldn't mind. From what I can tell, we've got all sorts here." 

He turned towards the zombie to answer the part of her half-questioning, half-musing that had been directed at him. "Yes, that's right... We had planned on going to Hwein next. To the capital, to be precise; that's where Coteon has stationed most of their forces." It occurred to Seilan that beyond that they hadn't exactly planned much further than that in detail during their meeting in Tepel. "Beyond that... well, the assault on this force came first. It should be a fairly safe assumption that we'll stop at border towns to rest and resupply as we move, but the particular details aren't yet set in stone." He gave a small shrug.

Help would be arriving soon, then. That thought gave him some relief; obviously, he'd been hoping for immediate aid when he came to Vaia. Hearing that they were embroiled in a civil war, and getting dragged into the fighting... well, it hadn't left him optimistic, and some small part of him had worried that the war might drag on. It seemed to have been little cause for worry, after all... nothing else stood in between, save planning and many miles.

Ren tries to focus on Gabriela and Shizuka, but the suspicions from Ayane came to fruition as the assassin makes her appearance after taunting her.  His hands go to grasp Tonbokiri, loose in his hand to make sure they're able to shift into position easier, but wavers at the sudden explanation given before...giving the new oni a flat look as Ayane chews her out.  

"I...are you serious?  You can't be serious, who would even believe that?!" he can't help but shout as he looks incredulously back and forth between Taiyou and the new oni.  "Ayane is right, this is ridiculous and outrageous.  Spit out your real reasons for being here," he snaps, eyes shimmering a cold blue as he bristles at the situation they have right now.

Sollowy felt a sudden chill as Lavinia's gaze zeroed in on her, asking a question that she didn't dare answer. Thankfully Thesephine was on point, despite her earlier betrayal, and was able to deflect the focus back on the vampire enough to where she was willing to drop the question. A breath she didn't realize she'd been holding escaped the fairy, sighing in relief as she narrowly avoided, what was probably going to be, another threat against her life.

As the conversation turned towards Yggdrasil Sollowy's mood took a hit; it wouldn't be exaggerating to say the fairy wasn't looking forward to visiting her mother with her task not even half done and being actively shirked. "It will, certainly be eventful." Sollowy finally said. "Unless she treats Vaian royalty differently, gives you some benefit of doubt, you should expect her to be... difficult to deal with, Thessy. She's ancient and her roots go deep, in more ways than I'd like. And it's not like we'll have much to bargain with, aside from me fulfilling my duty..."

Xalrei didn't think she'd ever get used to how quick Tenna was on the rebound, managing to perk herself up just because she'd been given a chance to try. As her claw was taken a second time, Xalrei had to actively stop herself from tearing her arm away from Coteon's princess. A shiver ran down her spine as she allowed the interaction to continue, it felt like her body itself was rejecting Tenna's touch, Xalrei waging a war against herself just to hold still long enough for this test to happen. Thankfully it didn't get any worse as Tenna's magic was introduced into her system, but the whole experience was unpleasant enough for the dragonewt to not want a repeat performance within the scope of her lifetime. "No thanks," came her flat denial as she finally took her claw back, involuntarily shivering one final time. "What makes you think I want this to feel better? I'll just stick with a monster healer, or at least a human that uses a staff..."

"Yes, mana. It's magical energy, to put it simply. Most living things produce mana just by... being alive. But for succubi... we can't make our own, so we need to get mana from other people, in order to maintain our supply." Nessraya explained, continuing to lazily pet Suki as she did so.

"How to fix it... well, there are multiple ways to absorb mana from another person, but I am a succubus, after all. The best way for me to recharge is through sexual contact. Fun for all parties involved, and it doesn't end in me needing to consume your blood or anything of the sort... I'll leave that to Lavinia, she takes far more enjoyment from it." Nessraya explained, letting her hand fall away from Suki's hair after a little while.

"As for whether you can help... to be honest, you might be my ideal helper at the moment. I don't like taking more mana than is comfortable, and my reserves are quite low. Sustaining me would be... taxing for anyone who had just fought in a battle like that. But you held the rear guard and camp, so you're still fresh, Suki. And certainly energetic.. mmm, if you're still interested, once we've set up camp, I might take you up on that offer. It's not the sort of thing to be doing out in the open like this."

"If you're hurt, you really should get it looked at, Taiyute. Even if you'll heal over time... I can't say I know how your body really... works, it must be painful, right?" Nisha chided, stopping for a moment as the genasi continued, unable to help a light chuckle from escaping her lips.

"Admirable? Me? That's a first. I pretty much work entirely on sneak attacks and the like... most people don't admire a rogue like me. All caught up in their honourable duels and whatnot... honour won't do you any good when you're dead, but most knight and fighter types don't see it that way."

"Uhn~! Hahn...~" The oni simply grunted and smiled at the elbow too her gut, squeezing Taiyou tighter for a single moment, before letting her go, hands in the air. "See? No threat~ You may not have met me before, Taiyou, but we'll be getting to know each other quite well, quite soon... Ahh, haha~ Taiyou~ What a wonderful name..." The oni slowly brought her arms down to hug herself, blush fresh on her face, trying to contain some unseen urge, before finally letting it go, putting her hands back down. "My name is Mae Utagawa. I wasn't much of anyone back in Nanbu, but I have become a rather well trained assassin through Ouka's magic and projects... If I'd wanted any of you dead, you, would, be, dead. Eheh~" A small tilt of her head, Mae giggled at the thought, eyeing Shizuka quickly, flashing her a razor sharp grin. "That one especially would've been an easy target... Eheheh~ So, please listen, yes? I've no other reason for being here, I assure you!"

She cleared her throat, assuming no one would take issue with hearing what she had to say, enough of an ego to assume no one would interrupt. "Those of us completely under Ouka's control, live in a daze. Things look hazy and grey... I could feel the motions of killing those I was told to kill, but I couldn't bring myself to give it any thought. 'This is life, I suppose'... Then. Then~ Ahah! I had a wonderful dream! It was bright, and full of color! A revelation... A quiet home, a countryside, myself sitting next to a beautiful human that I'd never met... But I'll never forget her looks. Her clothes, her face~! When I woke up, the haze was gone. I could think again, I could feel again... And I was swiftly ordered to kill either you or Ren, miss Princess." Mae smiled, cold, eyes narrow, quite unlike how she had just been acting.

"Your cousin was aloof... I could have taken him out, but you, youuuu, your wits were definitely about you. Of course I wanted the bigger fish... This was about a week ago... Yes, yes I've been following you all that time~ Then we arrived here, and amidst the chaos of the fighting, I wandered through the fort. No one was checking the jail, so I decided it might be worth my while to amuse my newfound freedom. See who's locked up... And who do I find?" Another lust filled gaze split off into Taiyou, a heavy breath leaving the oni. "I had a thought at that moment. A very dangerous one. With color back in my life... Why did I have to listen to Ouka, anymore? Was that more than a dream? Perhaps a vision~? It hadn't really dawned on me that I truly was free of her control... Yet here I am! Spilling the beans, eheheh~" Another glance at Taiyou... Mae couldn't contain herself, hands out, slowly approaching Taiyou again. "Another hug, p-please~ I'm begging you... I'll be good; the tongue will stay in my mouth--!"

"Oh! Right. Secret. Ouka is poisoning the great trees of Yggdrasil around the continent, amassing their magic for her own means. She doesn't share those means with rank and file, but I'm sure you," she pointed at Ren, "and YOU," she then pointed at Ayane, razor like teeth smile wide, "know exactly who she's gathering this all for... She has three of the nine under her grasp. Luckily, Vaia appears to be safe... The same can't be said for the rest of the continent. Better work fast~ ... mm, now, Taiyou, where were we..." She began her slow approach, fingers wiggling in great anticipation.

"Th-There's no way I'd want you to go anywhere, Agni! A, After all, I... I, uhhnmmm..." The words caught in her throat, her anger flushed away for the moment with a heavy crimson washing over her face. "Er, I, y-yes, thank, thank you... I don't... I won't, leave the group, but, I, I uhm... A-Anyway, thank you for listening!" Overwhelmed by the additional emotion, Taliyah pushed back Agni and rushed towards the camp's setup, hoping to find a tent to hide herself in. He, he never did answer me, I, uhhhggghhhh... I'm so... So stupid...!

"Akira? White. She's pretty pale herself, as well... And her eyes are red. Blood red~ How fitting for a real monster." Asami sighed, shaking her head. "If you're not up for the task, I'm sure someone else here will manage... I'm simply making sure you know, there is no saving these ones; there will be no attempts at negotiations. They will demand Yui and I, and then if you do not comply, they will try to take your life~ How very... Exciting."

Asami was clearly uninterested in some of her sisters, while Yui smiled softly, nodding along. "Do not worry yourself beyond what you can handle towards all of this, Bladen. Simply enjoy the time you have with my sister, and do your best to keep her happy... Though she is not difficult to please, hmhmhm~"

"Yuiiii! Gosh, and you wonder why I get so bothered at you, so much... Guhhh... Bladen keeps me very happy, thank you." An indignant pout fit her face, turning her nose away from her sister.

"Oh... Sure. I didn't realize... There actually is someone, huh?" Ariana was a little surprised, given what Marina had on her plate. She didn't expect the little hero to have time for romance. Then again, the oni had really forced herself onto Ariana, so maybe Marina's situation had been the same way...? "Mm. You don't need to tell me right away. This is just idle chatter, not something ur... Gent... Marina, I don't recognize that oni." Ariana had finally glanced towards the other group, having thought about Ayane, and the pink haired, new oni among them, wasn't one she'd recognized in the fighting or the group at large.

Without waiting another moment, Ariana sprung up from where she was resting, hand on her hilt, running for the group. The last thing they could afford now was to be attacked by Ouka's forces...!

"Arrange... ments?" Verah looked confused for a moment, before realizing exactly what was meant as Jade and Seilan continued talking. "Oh. Uh, oh, r-right, this is an actual, military group... H-Huh. I, uh, everyone was acting so casually after the battle, I figured, for a second, you were all mercenaries, but that... Sure is the Demon, King, over... Oh, Hess." The weight of her situation seemed to have finally dawned on her, the worried goat slouching a few inches. "Uhhh, h-haha... Uh, wh, who should I speak with, to see about getting those arrangements? I don't mind visiting Hwein, of course... No reason for me to stay around here, and you lot could use another mage, right!? Surely! Even, if I... C-Can only use ice and water magic-- but I'm very proficient at them!" Suddenly trying to sell herself, Verah smiled awkwardly, realizing how desperate she'd just sounded...

"I... I figured that she'd be difficult. She's an old soul. That's why you..." Thesephine realized that Sollowy hadn't explained her duty to anyone else yet, clamming up, knowing Lavinia would zero-in on that.

"... What exactly is her duty, Thesephine?" Lavinia crossed her arms again, sighing. "So many secrets with you lately. Secret partner, secret feelings, secret apparent alone time, now this... How am I meant to be your most trusted aide and knight if you cannot at least keep me in the loop of your goings on?"

Her words were harsh, but Thesephine didn't falter, this time. "We'll... We'll tell you and everyone that needs to hear it after we speak with Yggdrasil. That much I will promise, but before then, I don't want to say anything."

"... I... See." Lavinia was a little surprised. Seeing Thessy speak back against her like this was shocking, reassuring, and worrying, all at once and all for different reasons. "I will trust you to your devices then, my liege... Miss Sollowy." Lavinia was less kind in her addressing of the fairy, sighing quietly and walking off. Now was the time to see Jade.

"Mmrrhh... Ugh. I've made her mad, haven't I...? Uggghhhhh..."

"Wh-What? But, Xalrei... I, I..." Tenna felt herself huff, however quiet it was. "If, if we're s-supposed to be trying to be friends, then... How, how am I meant to keep watch over my nnn, nnn-new, friend, if you get hurt? And you don't, accept my healing...? I..." She was clearly distressed about this, but there was no way she was going to verbally beat Xalrei's trauma out of her, just like the only way her own trauma was going to improve was to keep pushing at it like this. "I'll... I'll, just keep t-trying. I'll make sure, that you can get used to this... Ennn, nno-nough, that I can heal you, at least. I... I don't, want there to be any more deaths... Than there nnn, nnneeee, nee, ds... Hhha, to be." Tenna swallowed hard, the lump in her throat over her anxieties getting worse. She was doing her best to speak with Xalrei, but... The dragon was still terrifying. Especially covered in blood as she was...

"Oh... I not know what, mana... For magic? Er..." The concept of magic was completely lost on Suki. She had no special bloodline in her heritage like Amera, and was beyond reading any of the complex formulae that went into magical tomes. "But, you... say I help? Okay! Miss Nessraya, very nice, I want make feel better~ Er... Though, what... Sexual...?"

"Something you're better off not knowing, Suki." Amera arrived right on time, sighing, arms crossed. "I'm right here and you're trying to proposition the dog? Seriously...?"

"Not dog! Wolf!" Somehow, that was all Suki took from that exchange.

It was enough to raise Amera's mood just above sour, letting her smirk. "Yes, good wolf. Anyway... You and I know both know I'll have plenty of magic to spare once we've setup a proper camp. Why not ask me instead, Nessy~? Hmmm?"

Suki simply tilted her head. She was still stuck on what this 'sexual' was...

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Jade spared another look to Lucille, but despite any concerns about how the rider was slumped against her pegasus, it didn't seem quite so bad that the woman was about to fall asleep or fall off. Not yet at any rate, and with the way the conversation was progressing in a rather interesting direction, short of anything dire that was where her attention preferred to stay.

"Your negotiating skills sound like they need a little work, not quite up to the standards your brother set," she chided Seilan gently, before giggling so that it was clear nothing serious was meant by it. "You should have gotten something in writing, if not from the General then from someone at the fort. But it's never too late..." Being from Hwein herself originally, she had her own interests in not having to hear about the place suffering under the iron heel of Coteon.

The new arrival's own surprise at the precise gravity of the situation she found herself embroiled in was like icing on a schaudenfreuden cake though, and the zombie indulged in some private feelings of smugness. "Yes, the Demon King, who looks to have just finished speaking with the Head of her Royal Knights, and..." a sweep of her gaze trying to locate, aha, spotted, "Over there, the General of her Armies. Which is it you would be preferring an audience with?" It wouldn't have been too hard to keep her smile quite neutral, merchant's training and all, but Jade decided turn about was fair play and she could let herself slip a little, just a touch, for now. "Ah, but maybe someone not quite that high up would be more to your speed? Hmm, do you think the Captain from Tepel would be a better choice?" Turning to Seilan for input, the zombie asked. "You've had a closer working relationship with her than I, what do you say?"

Verah's seeming desperation after she realized what the group was, and their aim was charming. She couldn't help but crack a smile as Jade seemed to poke at her. It was odd to feel some level of comfort in the presence of monsters and with everything that had happened and was going to happen. She certainly felt out of place, but, maybe for the first time in nearly three years, she felt safe... mostly. There was still the threat of seeing Naomi's demise in her impending slumber, but staving sleep off was quickly becoming impossible. Villkiss's back was suddenly remarkably soft and warm, and the conversation had taken a direction that didn't really involve her. Admittedly, falling asleep was her best option; she had no idea where she was supposed to go to figure out where she was supposed to go to sleep. Trying to find someone to ask wasn't a particularly palatable option either; far too many people that she didn't know still and interrupting the conversation in front of her would have been rude. Plus, falling asleep right now in the company of Seilan and Jade would save her the trouble of admitting that she really didn't want to be alone. When things finished up, they'd probably just leave her be, but hopefully the current presence of the group would ward off the menacing thoughts for just long enough to get some reasonable sleep. She gave one more look to the group before she closed her eyes, and didn't reopen them. 

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Ayane kept her gaze fixed upon the odd assassin, still a bit dumbfounded by her actions. She didn't lower her blade at all. "Projects and magic...so you were another victim." She continued with a frown. Her pride reared it's ugly head again, really insulted that Ouka would leave everything to a lone assassin. No matter how good she claimed to be there was no way she could kill Ayane...she believed anyway. Shizuka was a different story though. "Don't you dare touch my maid." She responded sternly.

That said, being in a haze under Ouka's spell didn't sound too far off from what Ayane had been going through. All she saw was red, and the one thing that wasn't red was white...her target Ouka. But after she met Ari and her fight with Ren her world was colored once more. In a strange way Ayane related to this woman, if only a little, but it was enough to have her listen and value her words. That is before she went back to her lustful wishes...

To ease tensions even further she elaborated on Ouka's plans, it really did appear she was done with life as the witch's assassin. "The great trees of Yggdrasil..." She mumbled aloud. After another minute she lowered her katana at long last. "...Mae Utagawa. For the time being you have my trust, as someone who was also lost to the blood." She stepped up and took the girl by the shoulder, she kept her past arm's length of the miko. "However, you'll be coming with me to explain this plan and other details you may have to the others. These trees are past my expertise, and I'm sure they wish to know." She gave one more serious glance. "What you do beyond that point is something we will discuss, but until that is figured out and for miss Taiyou's sake you shall keep your hands to yourself. Understood?"

Edited by TheRoon

"She offered to help, and I was simply telling her how. And how was I meant to know how much magic you have to spare, hmm? Last I checked you were in the thick of things just as well... don't tell me you were slacking, Amera~" Nessraya replied, smiling lightly at the cat as she stuck her tongue out, chuckling slightly at Suki's pure naivete.

"Anyway, I hadn't intended to seek anybody out, until camp was properly set up, so I could see the condition everyone was in once we had settled down. I only brought it up to Suki because she asked. I wasn't aware that she was quite this sheltered though..."

He gave a bit of a sheepish smile at her chiding, shrugging slightly. "Hmm... Never was quite as cut out for it as he was. Though I imagine there wouldn't be much negotiating to do, given there was only so much the few left of us could do for Vaia." Well, no matter - all that meant was that there was still planning to do.

Jade was certainly seeming quite content between her teasing and how she was toying with their new arrival. As for her question, though... "Let's see... yes, Amera would be a good choice if you think the general is rather... imposing. I can't say I don't understand thinking that, myself." He turned to look where Jade had been looking, pointing. "She's... her, over there, that one; can't miss her. The one talking to... the general." Ah, well, that was unfortunate for Verah. It seemed there would be no avoiding going straight to the top, one way or another.

"Good luck to you, then. Don't worry too much." Turning back, he noticed Lucille seeming... perhaps a bit more comfortable than she had a moment or two ago, and glanced back at Jade. "Ah... hmm. Any spare tents in that wagon of yours...?"

The zombie grinned as the human magician answered back in a way that was obvious he was taking her ribbing in good graces, but something he said at the end there caused her smile to dry up and vanish. She wasn't about to interrupt him over it, it could wait until they'd sorted things out with the goat woman, but as that seemed to be just about wrapped up, she doubled back.

"Your people bled and died for Vaia. Nobody could have asked you for more," Jade's voice went soft and serious, a hint of something stiff and stern beneath the surface. "And I'm only speaking while knowing of the two we lost to poor positioning at the end there. I know not how many more lives you sold to buy the time for us to arrive."

It may have been dodging the issue then, or maybe just stalling for time, but it was aptly pointed out that Lucille had quite fallen asleep, in the short time Jade had taken her attention full away from the girl. Turning and confirming, as she laid eyes on that rather sweet sight, her features softened back up. "Well, well... quicker than I expected, but yes. Let's get this one taken care of, shall we? You're willing to help me set it up, I assume?" The merchant certainly did have some tents, whether they were 'spare' or not was now irrelevant, as one had just been reassigned.

Shizuka shuffled backwards some. The vague threat she felt was thrown at her filled her with a modicum of fear. It was quickly overshadowed by admiration when Ayane immediately stepped in front of her. A small, relieving sigh, she moved slightly till she was almost completely behind the princess.

It didn't seem to matter much, as after Ayane announcing her trust, she moved to remove this Mae from Taiyou. That was good, too. Cautiously, the knife went back in the girl's pouch.

"Nono it is quite all fine, don't worry. I will see someone soon enough. I do not feel hurt, but when I start to heal, I begin to feel... fadig? The word you use to say... greatly tired?" She gave a smile as she pat the shoulder of her wraith companion.

Taiyute gave a frown at Nisha's comment about her skills, "Hmm, well I believe all types of fighting should be okay. Sometimes l think, hiding and sneaking is much more good tactic than to ram one's head into a shield, yes?"

"Yeah, it's... Mm..." Marina wasn't really sure how to explain Yukari to Ariana, even if vaguely. Let her taking her reaction. It didn't seem to matter as she had just as quickly shifted her attention on the Nanbians and the unknown oni. And she was already off.

How much Marina wanted to just let it be, it seemed from her perspective Ayane had it handled but... she was already annoyed by withheld information, she may as well learn what she could. She hopped off of her seat and followed after Ariana.

Edited by Silver Gallade

Sollowy froze up as Lavinia zero'd in on her duty at lightning speed, wondering how in Yggdrasil's name she was supposed to get her to drop it. Thankfully Thessy had her back once again, somehow convincing Lavinia to leave with the promise of a future reveal, even if the vampire could have left less rudely. Sighing, she draped her arms around Thesephine's neck, floating behind her like a cape billowing in the wind. "Probably, but..." She did her best to smile, on the off chance Thesephine actually looked up at her. "You made me happy by standing up for m-- For us. If you can convince her, maybe there's a chance my mom can be convinced..."

"Friends..." Xalrei had no recollection of ever agreeing to be Tenebria's friend, only recalling that the Princess had been pushing for it harder and harder every time she forced an interaction. Why she was so insistent Xalrei had no idea. "..." Sighing, and with a shake of her head, the dragonewt finally asked for an explanation. "Why are you trying so hard to be my 'friend'? The He-- Marina's probably right over there somewhere, and it's not like there's a lack of other humans for to bother." She huffed as she crossed her arms, awaiting reply. Was that too mean? Wait, why did she care about that? Was it just that she was so pitiful? Why did it have to be Coteon's princess of all humans who reminded her of a sad puppy...

"Ugh! What could you possibly... a vision?" Hearing this oni talk was repulsive enough for Taiyou, but talking about them as predestined lovers took the cake. Taiyou took a step back, mentally thanking Shizuka for getting in the way. "W-Whatever your plan is, you can drop this love pretense. Ugh! You couldn't... you weren't really at the dungeon, were you?" She took a defensive stance, grumbling.

"Ayane must know how Ouka's magic affects the mind better than I, honestly..." Taiyou shifted her glance between Ayane and Mae for a moment, still hesitant. "As long as Ayane decides to handle you, I'll hold my words, but don't take things for granted, I'll be watching you."

"Huh? Oh, of course, well, you're welco--" And there Taliyah went, leaving Agni a bit confused, but relieved that she was picking up for herself. "Hm."

It would still take time for her to deal with everything, though, that much was obvious. For now, Agni would give her space. He felt he should spare Marina of knowing Taliyah's feelings, as well...