Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"Yes, of course... the leader of the bandits is a man named Ithraxl. One of the lizardfolk, he is a particular issue due to an intimate knowledge of military tactics... he used to Captain one of my divisions, but turned his back on the King after you defeated his unit." Nessraya replied, a light scowl adorning her face. He had been a promising officer, but a traitor was a traitor. She would put him down for such treachery.

"Due to his leadership, the bandits have been moving as an organized fighting force... far too much for local militia garrisons to deal with, and the proper military has been... occupied. If he can sever the head and remove Ithraxl, then the rest of the bandit leadership should dissolve... infighting and breaking against the militia will be their end." Nessraya continued, pulling the map up again, and circling a region named Mixoco with the tip of her tail, drawing a path away from the South-Vaian region towards the castle.

"The main body of the bandit force has been scouted to have set camp in Mixoco... if we want to remove Ithraxl and move towards Hwein, we will need to break that camp. Luckily, the town of Tepel isn't terribly far away... we can restock there, provided it's garrison continues to hold out until we arrive."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appeared that Gabriela had little to no choice but to work for her money this time. It's different than what she's used to, but she felt a small determination to see it through. Or maybe, if it benefits her, she can bail. However, the money Asami offered smelled pretty nice in her small nose. She could never turn down the sound of fresh money. When Gabriela thinks about money, she can't really remember anymore how she got this obsession with the stuff, especially since it's been quite a while. She looks a lot younger than she is in actuality, and is most likely one of the oldest ones present...Not that she is willing to let everyone know though...

''Very well, I am prepared for the battles ahead.'' She had said in a confident-sounding voice, but in actuality, she was a little nervous. She did not enjoy fighting, even though she is most likely capable. She could certainly find her way in the dark with her light magic, though she has never really had to fight off more than annoying bugs. But if she would show her weak side, they would probably get rid of her immediately. She simply needed to spread her wings and prepare herself for the tough battles ahead, and stow her fears.

"Passage to Tepel should take us a few days... We shall prepare a small wagon to expedite things. Hopefully you're all fine with horses." If not, they could sit at the back. This Gabriela had agreed to the situation at hand... Asami would likely pay her as soon as Ithraxl was dealt with. Ushering everyone out, it was time for a bumpy ride out of the castle. Hopefully the small battlefield didn't bother most to look upon... The King's people were still tending to the wounded and dead.

A caravan had been prepared, and though travel was moderately comfortable and clear, night rolled in rather quickly. Along with another set of clouds, continued travel would prove an issue if it began to rain, let alone thunder, and scared off the horses. Bringing the wagon to a crawl, Lavinia began to untie the horses from the wagon as to help them over to a nearby tree, and tie them there. It would provide them shade should weather strike, and make sure they didn't run off.

"What a terrible night for a storm," Asami pouted, her umbrella already out, tail twirled around her leg to make sure it didn't sneak away from her. "It's definitely going to rain, or worse..."

"You can tell? What can't you do?" Lavinia scoffed at their pink companion, always surprised at how much she could accomplish.

"Call it a feeling~ These old bones tell me rain is coming, so I believe them."

"Of course... Well, if you're going to claim rain is coming, help us with the tents."

"Mikon..." A whine, but she nodded, heading towards the back of the wagon.

The caravan ride was a good time for Marina to think, processing everything she has been informed of or told in what's to come. While fearing the words the dragonewt, it gave her a sense of assurance, as well as some concern. Then there was a point made by Agni. Even if she did return to Coteon, for any reason, would she still be their hero anyway, or just another monster? Time will tell, I guess.

Her expression sullied a bit as she looked out where her crusade ended. Seeing what remained, what didn't... It was a constant reminder that she caused it. Regardless if she was actually fighting for them, helping them, would that truly fix what these people see her as? That didn't matter, was what she told herself, but even she could feel how horrible she felt and how scared she was.

A tear finally escaped from her face, but she moved as quickly and discreetly as she could to wipe it off. Not now you idiot. You can cry later.

It was after feeling and hearing the caravan stopped, that she finally snapped out of her trance, hearing Lavinia and Asami discuss setting up tents. As Lavinia walked to the back, Marina stood up, and quickly followed, "Miss Lavinia, I can help. What do you need me to do?"

A dark figure clung to the tops of one of the nearby trees, carefully watching the scene below. He'd followed the group after they'd left the palace, always just out of sight. A few times, he thought he'd seen that pink fox glancing his way, but he'd always brushed it off as her spotting something interesting or just being wary. After all, these were dangerous times, thanks to that "hero". His mouth twisted in a sneer.

Speaking of the hero, he peered down at her now. It was obvious who she was. The sword belted at her side, the way the only other human had looked at her throughout the trip. It had seemed like a combination of respect and regret... Or at least that was how he had interpreted it. Plus she just seemed so damned sad. Almost as if the weight of what she had done was actually hitting her. Well good. She deserves that and more. He was doing his best to ignore the small part of his brain that was starting to feel sad for her. That part of his brain was a traitor. It didn't matter how sad she was, she was the reason his clan members were dead. The reason his mother was a widow now. Even if she hadn't been the one to give the fatal blow, she was still at fault. But she looks so hopeless and lost... Maybe she was manipulated! You should ask! No. Not yet. He couldn't approach them just yet. He still needed a day or two to figure out more about her. Then... Then he would ask his questions. All of them. And he wouldn't settle for some dumb answers. He settled into the tree, a slight grumble escaping his lips at the thought of rain, but that was it. He was a warrior of the Fallen. He could survive a wet night.

"Well... I suppose we've made decent progress on the day." Nessraya noted as the wagon came to a stop, lazily stretching for a moment against the seat before stepping onto the ground, robe slipping off of her shoulder as she looked around the area for a few moments... Lavinia had gotten a few people roped into tent prep already, which meant that the succubus would be better suited taking on a different role. Moving to a different tree than the one the horses had been hitched to, it was a quick and simple feat to lop off a few branches with magic, gathering the newly designated firewood to a more central position in their little camp before igniting it with a fire ball.

"Mmmn~ That's better." Nessraya noted to herself, grabbing her bedroll and using it as a makeshift chair, plopping it down next to the fire, and she herself on top of it.

As the sky darkened, both with clouds and as the day waned, Xalrei felt herself growing more and more restless for some reason she just couldn't explain. It had gone from a wary glance over her shoulder from time to time to sudden bursts of adrenaline whenever she saw something in the distance, immediately thinking it to be hostile. Often times it would just be something like a tree and she'd feel foolish, but the unease remained. As they came to a stop in was essentially an open plain with a few trees her anxiety only increased. Wait, right here? Where there's next to no cover? We'll be easy to spot. What if we're... 

"I'll volunteer for first watch." She announced suddenly as she dismounted the wagon, heading over to and leaning against the tree the horses had been tied to. She took a deep breath, letting out a heavy sigh after a few seconds. "I need to be better."

While riding the caravan, Gabriela took some time to think, not really associating with anyone. While still annoyed that no one trusted her, she was also happy that she was even allowed to travel with the group, and be paid some good amount for her hard work, at that. She didn't really pay any attention to her surroundings, and eventually, the caravan stopped for the day it appears. Well, she wasn't going to do anything if it wasn't specifically asked of her, fighting was already more than enough work if you ask her. It appeared the little dragonewt volunteered as watch, so that's another thing she didn't need to do, at least right away, so instead, she simply sat down near the fire on the ground.

What should I do next? How long will I even be with this group? Will I get out of here alive? All of these questions were squirming around in her mind. For all she knew, she could be with this group for another 10 years. Oh well, time will tell, is the answer that she decided to settle on for now.

"Go ahead, Xalrei~" Asami called out, yawning and sneaking over to Nessraya, before flopping against her back in a hug. "Nessyyyyyy, you have to help with setup too. I can't believe Lavinia, getting a weak little fox like me to do all this heavy lifting. I'm made to be stared at, not do manual labor~"

Lavinia was surprised by the sudden eagerness of Marina, but offered her a soft smile in response to her request. "Don't hate yourself too much," came her reply. "You've had a sour face on this whole time... I understand that, coming to grips with all this is difficult. I'd never expect it to be easy for anyone, and would be suspicious if it was... But war is war. Called to another world, given a sword, told you're the hero and coddled by people you can relate to and understand... It's no surprise you did what you've done." Lavinia shook her head, smiling wryly.

"So try not to hate what you used to be, rather, try and love what you want to become. You don't need to be so hard on yourself... The people of Vaia are plenty angry at you already. My understanding won't change theirs'." Hopefully Marina understood that.

"For now, you can help me check over the weaponry, and get everything organized. We did leave in a bit of a hurry... And as an archer, I am a bit less in touch with what makes a blade effective. I'm sure you were taught enough to know?"

"Now now, I already made the fire, Asami~" Nessraya replied with a light grin, leaning back into the kitsune's hug. She had long since gotten over her lacking endowment compared to the rest of her race, but it was unfortunate that she wasn't really built to do things like Asami. Oh well, use your own charms, and all that.

"Besides, you're stronger than me anyway~ Let them stare at us both, moral support and all that~" The succubus added, gently turning the other demon's chin with a flick of her tail and placing a quick peck on Asami's cheek.

"Wha..." Escaped her lips as Lavinia's first sentence came out. Marina's reaction soon turned into what looked like minor shock as the vampire spoke to her. As she spoke, her body started to slowly relax again, maybe a bit of relief? Was it trust? Did she care? Was she trying to keep her from losing her cool if a fight happened? For the moment, Marina didn't care. She refocused, at first being silent, but giving a small nod,

"I... I think I understand," She felt herself start to confide in the vampire, "I'm just... I'm scared." She admitted, "Barely a day has gone by, and I was... I hurt so many people. And now I'm fighting for them." Marina's mannerisms started to show her vulnerable side even more, "I didn't know what to say to Th-- to the King. Too afraid to say anything, even an apology. The dragonewt, already promised to kill me if I mess up. Of course... I don't plan to go back, but the fear is still there." She shook her head.

"I've never been good about thinking things through. Through impulse, I make stupid decisions that could get myself, or others in trouble." She glanced at Agni and looked back at Lavinia. "Even this was through sheer impulse," Unfortunately, Marina had no clue if that was a good answer, "This time feels different, though. I found some sort of assurance, I guess... I think that's the way to put it." She gave a light smile, "Thank you, truly. Sorry, I didn't mean to just blurt out a bunch. I just... I guess you helped me feel more at ease." Her smile perked up a bit.

It was then where she was asked to organize and help with the weapons, she gave a confident nod, "Yeah, I think I can do that."

"Boo, none of that here, Nessy... Wait until we get to a town, if you must." Batting away the general's tail, Asami sighed and unfolded her umbrella, heading back towards the wagon to fetch the tent. Always manual labor with Lavinia... Oh? Ohhhh~? She was having a charming little conversation with the Hero, hmmm? Walking past them, Asami began to rifle through the other end of the wagon, ears perked to listen.

Lavinia kept smiling, gently patting Marina on the shoulder. "Being scared is fine. You've done a lot... And I won't speak for you. You should try to change things through your own words... But, I'll protect you from death so long as I can. Thus are my King's orders." Lavinia pulled a small sack of weapons up to the edge of the wagon, pulling out a few swords. Marina used one, this would be the best place to start. "Even from Xalrei, should she be unable to contain herself. Stay alive long enough to figure things out for yourself... I'm sure you'll know what to do." A bit of a wider smile, Lavinia turned towards the fire, glancing at the clouds above. "No moon, tonight... Asami?"

"Ah!?" The fox jumped, packed tent in her arms.

"Now that you're done eavesdropping, can you help me, already?"

"Mikon... Of course, Lavinia..." Sighing and bringing the tent up, she paused to lean against Marina, chuckling. "It's a good thing you're making friends, miss Hero~ You'll need them... Laviniaaaa, where does this go?"

"Over there, far enough away from the fire... And leave her alone, you scheming fox."

Asami stuck her tongue out in response and scooted away from them, swishing her tail as she went.

"My apologies... She is... Special." Lavinia sighed.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Too calm. Stopping through the night to camp was no foreign concept for Agni, however sharing his space with demons was. The journey had been quiet and uncomfortable for him, and he didn't expect it to get better now.

He supposed he could help setting up the tents... Agni wasn't *the peak* of physique, but he was no pushover, by his own account. He carried and began unpacking a tent as soon as they'd tied up the horses. It wasn't too demanding a task, so he could keep attention on Marina at the corner of his sight...

What was that vampire doing getting so familiar with her? She was a stoic one, one of the more serious and informed demons, but Agni couldn't bring himself to trust her so easily. A vampire was a demon that could turn humans into their kind, as far as he understood... and seeing her speaking with Marina so amiably, so soon...

Agni hastily set the tent down, tying it, and walked towards the duo. "You don't need to apologize so profusely, Marina. Like I said before, if anyone's to blame, it should be the church." Agni spoke to Marina, but his gaze was focused on the vampire instead --no intention of hiding his suspicion--. "Hold your head high, or you'll just be following orders to atone for your 'sins' until gods know when."

Edited by Xinnidy

Hmm. Boring. They were just setting up camp, the "hero" being all teary eyed. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but his imagination could fill in the blanks. 'Oh woe is me, forced to pay for my sins.' And then the other human was probably comforting her, telling her she had nothing to feel bad about... Though really it was odd. That vampire seemed completely unhostile. Almost... Pitying. Maybe the human was actually sorry for what she had done. Well... Too bad. She should have done more to figure out the situation before charging in then.

Ignoring the odd pit that had begun to grow in his stomach at the sight of the human's sad expression, he grumbled and turned over as best he could. Better to get some sleep now while he could. He'd go back to paying attention once the rain hit. Yes, sleep now. No more confusing thoughts, just rest.

Knowing she had Lavinia to keep her safe was one of the most encouraging things she's had in a good while. And she even got some nice advice from her to add on to it. She was right, Marina needs to be able to not shut down when confronted about her actions. It was just a means of... when could she forgive herself before asking others to do the same. Eventually, she'd find the answer. She was sure of that.

Seeing Lavinia pull out and set down the swords, she approached, and picked up one. "Back home, my mom would test how sharp our knives were before cutting food. It... should work the same, I think." Taking her free hand, she licked at her thumb, before gently wiping her hand against the sword's blade. From bottom to top, she wiped at it, giving a sigh of relief. Good she didn't cut herself, "That one's good."

Stopping for a brief moment to watch Lavinia and Asami bicker left her in a small laughing fit. It was nice, being able to have this moment to feel better about things. After apologizing for Asami's behavior, Marina shook her head. "Nono it's okay. If anything, you two have a nice dynamic. The Demon King is lucky to have you two,"

Agni's approach ended up not being much of a surprise for Marina. Watching him eye at Lavinia was also pretty unsurprising, If he didn't suspect her, I guess something would definitely be wrong. She didn't comment on his suspicions, but she nodded to what he was telling her,

"Agni..." she started, carefully thinking about what to say. Through your own words. "Even if... I was manipulated, it was still my hands." She looked down at her hands. "It was my face, my image people rallied to. I'm not entirely to blame, I get that... but I still have to accept some of it." His latter point also had some merit, but Marina still had the lingering thought going on, "I'll do my best to keep my head up, but until I figure out what I want... what I need to do, I don't want to make any promises yet."

Edited by Silver Gallade

"Normally out in camp would be a better place than in town, but if you so wish~" Nessraya replied with a pout, letting Asami go and accost Marina and Lavinia. Watching the others start to work towards getting the tents set up, the succubus spread her wings, gently floating over towards the wagon, vaguely listening in to the conversation. Agni seemed to be far more suspicious, compared to Marina rather readily accepting the state of things... but she supposed if it weren't for most humans being suckers, the church wouldn't really have a following anyway. Agni's indoctrinated way of thinking about demons was rather par for the course for humans from Coteon.

"Honestly, Mr. Agni... it must be rather tense, trying to keep up such a vigil all the time." Nessraya noted, placing her hands on the man's shoulders and absentmindedly kneading them.

"As I thought, hard as a rock. I'll admit I'm surprised that you tagged along instead of turning back to your homeland, but I'm sure you have your reasons. You'll do naught but make yourself miserable trying to be at odds all the time."

"Don't mess up and I won't kill you. Simple as that." Xalrei called out, having overheard the conversation, not that she had really intended to listen in. She didn't plan to involve herself further than that, looking over to the fire and watching the shadows dance for a moment before returning to watch for movement. She didn't notice Agni approach the trio, but she definitely heard what he'd said. Only the church is to blame? What a joke. 

"You'd call her blameless? I suppose that would extend to you too, then?" She glared at the unrepentant human from her spot at the tree, crossing her arms. "If you were foolish enough to believe the lies that 'church' is spouting about us, then you're just as guilty as they are. Learn to take responsibility for your actions." Her tone was cold and dismissive, as though she was talking to an insignificant speck.

As for the repentant human, she didn't know how to approach her. Marina seemed to have some grasp on what she'd done, some idea about what she needed to do. If Xalrei wasn't careful, she could extinguish the fires fueling her hatred. She grunted, offering an, admittedly weak, criticism of the hero. "Aren't you a bit too happy for an atoning sinner?"

Agni certainly didn't want Marina to hate herself, that much was understandable. She would get nothing done through completely selfless sacrifice. She'd just toss herself into everything, and eventually get herself killed... And she seemed to understand that. Lavinia's smile only grew brighter as Marina spoke her point of view on things. "You're a strong girl," Lavinia added, ruffling Marina's hair a moment before hoisting her rather hefty looking bow, and heading towards the tree the horses were to be tied to. "Come along, you two. Come, come..."

Xalrei didn't seem content with that, though... Her complaints to Agni were fine, things that needed to be said, but the last remark? "Don't bully her, Xalrei. Marina understands her place in things... And it is not your place to make the weight on her shoulders any heavier. We're to help her succeed, nothing more." Hopefully things between them wouldn't escalate too far. If things escalated between Xalrei and Agni, however, that would likely be for the best. Their points of view on this whole situation wouldn't get anywhere unless talked about, even if angrily. So long as no one fights.

"Asami, how's that tent... Asami?"

Asami had wandered off to a tree just a small ways away from their little group, quietly climbing her way up into the branches... Because someone had been following them~ A little black birdy, who didn't seem to mean them any harm, but, still... Slowly shifting herself onto the branch above him, she peeked down and smiled. "Hello~!"

Bladen had been just falling asleep when he heard some branches creaking around him. Slowly opening one eye, he found himself staring into the face of the pink kitsune who had been with the group.

"Hello~!"

"Gah!" He tried to rapidly roll away from her, only to remember a second too late where he had positioned himself. A grasping hand missed the branch as he began his plummet towards ground.

Wings! Wings you idiot! You're an angel, you can fly! Or, well, theoretically he could fly. If his wings behaved. Which... they didn't seem to want to do. Instead of growing to their full size, they stayed small, tucked against his back. A grab at a branch only served to rotate him just enough that he was not longer going to land on his side. Instead, he face planted into the earth with a thud, causing a small dust cloud to rise around his now prone body.

... Ow. Hopefully she kills me quickly now... He waited. A second. Then two. Nothing was coming. Slowly raising his head out of the ground, he looked up at the camp and coughed, spitting a bit of dirt and grass out of his mouth. "Ah... Well. H-hello then."

"Gah!"

"You hear that, men? Don't know why someone screamed, but it looks like we've found our targets." A group of armored men, alongside some in robes, passed through the plains and the trees, heading towards the sound...

"Hello little birdy~ If you're here to help us, you should've just said so." Asami hopped down much more graciously, heading back towards the group, before pausing. She turned back, looking past their new acquaintance, and growled. "Lavinia. Get everyone's weapons ready!"

"What-- What's upon us?"

"The Church's men..."

"Tch... Already, or stragglers from the battle? Everyone! Weapons ready, get in formation!"

Deployment!

F9ci6n2.png

Stats!

Bladen almost growled as he pushed himself up out of the dirt. "I didn't want to help, I wanted an--" He cut himself off as the fox claimed that the Church's men were upon them. Wonderful. Now he was going to have to either flee or fight with this group. And as tempting as fleeing was, the Church was the reason his clan had lost so many warriors. "Fine. I'll help for this battle, but it's not my reason for being here. Ok?"

Deploy on 18-12

Marina wanted to process things, but unfortunately things already got out of hand very quickly. The Church is already attacking again? The war should have stopped, why is this happening? She couldn't think too much on it as she went back to the wagon and grabbed the sword she had tested earlier. She didn't want to fight again, not so quickly, but she didn't seem to have much of a choice on the matter.

The feel of the sword was different than Myrithali. Myrithali had seemed like it was perfect for her. This... had more weight to it and felt less in her comfort zone. Now some of the anxieties were coming back. How good was she really? Well, time to convert that anxiety into adrenaline and find out for herself.

I'll put a stop to this... No matter what.

She got into a readied stance, ready to fight, ready to work for something better. Suddenly she felt her hands shake, and her body trembling... She was still worn out, wasn't she? Then she had to help end this, quickly.

Marina deploys at 18,14

Gabriela heard the sound of a scream, and knew that this was when the real fun would begin. ''So, these soldiers are from the church? They look quite weak, and i'm sure the big hero can take them all on!'' Gabriela said in a joking matter, but didn't realize it would probably come across as if she was mocking Marina. Even though she said the soldiers looked quite weak, she didn't have much faith in herself either, and would rather stand furthest back to protect her fragile wings from any potential archers on the field. She grabbed her light tome and prepared for the worst.

Gabriela deploys at 19-15

Xalrei grunted at Lavinia's admonishment. She knew the vampire was right, that she was just being cruel. Hell, for the most part, she saw promise in what she'd seen from Marina; however, ironically, that wasn't what she wanted to see from the hero. It'd be so much easier to hate her if Marina would just live up to her expectations like the other human was.

Before she could think more on the subject, Asami raised the alarm. The church's men, here? As she scanned the perimeter she saw them and then recognized them, nearly flying into a rage at the sight of their great helms and armor adorned with eagle crests. The murders that ambushed and kill her comrades, her friends, were right in front of her, she was sure of it. "Haven't you bastards done enough...?" She snarled, her limbs already beginning to crackle with electricity as she readied her lance.

Xalrei deploys at 16,14.

Edited by Ursali

Agni's words didn't do much to stop the situation... Lavinia was being too kind to Marina. Well, as long as he could stay within an arm's reach--

A touch to his shoulder, not warm, not cold, but unexpected enough to tense him up. Agni turned his head to meet... Nessraya, he didn't know what was going on her mind, but much like with the vampire, he didn't trust her intentions. "I'm... fine. Marina is the one that will be miserable at this rate." He retorted, trying not to be overtly rude, but still attempting to inch his shoulder away from her grasp. "I was tasked with her... I will make sure she's safe even if she chose to stay with you." Rather, returning to Coeton empty-handed and without the hero would be the ultimate disgrace, but best not to linger on that...

Oh, that lizard wanted to start something, didn't she? "I know what I did, and if it turns out the church was lying, I'll stuff my words, but I'm only working as a prisoner of war, and to keep Marina safe." Agni turned to Xalrei, hand in front of his puffed chest. "If you have a problem with that, you can forward it to your leader here." Honestly, what a pain in the neck whiners could be. Agni understood he wasn't welcome, but he couldn't go back without Marina. He had to remain.

Of course, this was interrupted by the news he least wanted to hear. "Gods--" Humans were attacking them? Remnants, possibly. Especially considering how soon... he and Marina might know them, even. "Guess this is it... don't expect this to go any better than slaying monsters, Marina. Brace yourself."

(Agni will start at (17,13).)

Edited by Xinnidy