Jump to content
SnakeMomMelissa

Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Recommended Posts

Engaging!
Roll1: 95,11
16 damage!
The cleric fires back, terrified that his light magic isn't working on a 'monster'!
Roll: 53,67
6 damage!
Marina is unphased!
Roll2: 70,80
16 more damage!
Defeated!
Marina gains +36 EXP< +3 sword WEXP!
The cleric drops an Everfruit!
Marina levels up!
Level 9! +SPD!

"Marina!" Lavinia called after the girl, approaching with her staff out, mending what wounds she could. "Just what are you doing, going this intensely? You have allies here, you don't need to do this all by yourself! Look, you're already wounded, from sword and magic both... Please, take care of yourself." Lavinia sighed as she finished patching up what she could with her powers.

Lavinia to 11,9, Heal Marina!
+14 HP!
Lavinia gains +11 EXP, +2 staff WEXP

"Just... I'm sorry, this must be hard on your sleep, but still... You've nothing to prove, charging so strong like this..." Had Lavinia's rejection hurt more than she'd thought? But, she couldn't let Marina in on those thoughts... They scared Lavinia already, there was no telling what they would do to Marina... Wait... "Where's, the holy sword...?" She wasn't holding onto it, that was clear as day to Lavinia's nocturnal eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Lavinia was there. Marina knew she'd come to protect her, it was her job. Until... Marina shook the thought away, finally forcing her words through, 

"I have a lot to prove," She plainly answered once again, "And I can't let this go by so easily, it's not the sleep, it's..." She paused, almost admitting her fears, but she made a quick retort, "I have to be stronger. You're all my responsibility, just as much as I'm yours. I have to be strong enough to protect you all when it matters, most... t-to protect you..." For just a bit longer, she had to hold back her feelings.

Then, Myrithali being put away was brought up. At this point, Marina had given up hiding what was bothering her, "I put it away, in the wagon. I don't need a useless sword whose only use is to come back and haunt me, riding at my side."

She nodded, "I'm sorry for scaring you, Lavinia, I-I'm fine." For now. "I can handle it, for just a bit longer."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What?" Lavinia stared at her, hard. What, what exactly had happened? What did Marina get into her head over the last few hours? Lavinia was so taken aback by what was said, she didn't have any more of a response... Useless sword? Yes, for now, but you... You still have to keep it safe! You can't just, leave it in Jade's wagon! Marina! So much she wanted to say, but couldn't bring herself to... Just... "Sure..." There would be a talk after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina had dropped off the holy sword in the back of her cart. It was taking a lot of restraint to not just, take a small break from the fight, pop on back there and take a look at it while she had the chance. It would be legitimate, it had been entrusted to her, she needed to keep it safe right, especially with thieves on the loose?

On the other hand, she could just pay attention nobody gets close enough to steal it, and then do the looking afterward. The Hero sounded... bitter, disillusioned with the sword; she wasn't likely to make great haste to reclaim it. The merchant ought to have amply time later. That really was the right call, just, a hard one to stomach. Jade's best recourse to keep her mind of the Holy Sword was to instead occupy her attentions with the current condition of that other magical sword, Requiem.

Xalrei still had it, of course. The dragon had quickly taken a shine to the blade, it seemed. At least, she'd never complained to Jade about it. But, taking the opportunity to watch her fight with it--an opportunity the zombie hadn't had in the previous fights, as they'd either been separated or too preoccupied, not nearly side-by-side like currently--it was clear the cursed blade really did have an almost draining effect on the wielder. So much so, that Xalrei even sheathed the blade and began to use her plain iron axe for a bit.

Jade pressed her lips into a worried line. On the one hand, she had lent it out, she probably shouldn't meddle. On the other hand, it had started to awaken, and might work in her hands now, like it had when she'd asked the dragonewt to activate it while in their shared grasp. That had certainly been an experience. ...If it didn't work, she still had her pistol, and also the rifle; Xalrei could always ask for it back after she'd stopped to catch her breath, gotten one of the healers to pay her some attention. There was nothing lost by asking. If the young dragon said 'no', that would be fine, but if she said 'yes', that would be exciting.

Rolling up alongside the 'newt, Jade called out. "I, uh, I don't mean this the wrong way at all, but I couldn't help notice you've stopped using Requiem for the moment. If you need to gather your strength some before killing with it again, you wouldn't mind, uh, lending it back to me to have another try with it, would you?"

"T-Take it..." Xalrei replied, barely managing to keep herself up. "It's yours, anyway..."

"Just until you ask for it back, then," she agreed, failing to keep an eager grin from her face as she was passed the cursed blade. The magic item rather quickly changed its form to one more comfortable for her to wield.

10,6 take requiem from Xalrei, shoot Armor Thief, Canto to 14,4 and speak to strange person

Well done, strange blade... the zombie thought in Requiem's general direction. You actually make a pretty good gun. Her wagon carried with its momentum, and rolled past the narrowing of the lane and into a more open area of the town, where a curious sight caught her attention. A stranger was also embroiled in fighting with the nighttime ruffians. And what a stranger! Wielding wing magic and speaking in tongues Jade had never heard.

"Well met, stranger," the merchant called out as she pulled up beside the new face. "I don't know if you can understand me, but I hope you'll be able to figure it out by actions, if not by words, that I mean you no harm. Me and my companions are also engaged with these ruffians. Most of them are back there, more toward the center of town. So if you head that way, please only attack the actual rioters, not those trying to keep the peace."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A kiss gone by in a heartbeat, and then out into the dark night he went. He moved almost automatically at first, barely focusing on where he was going. She was staying behind in the inn, that was good. A flash of magical light lighting up the General knocked him out of his daze. They were fighting elves, zombies, but what stood out to Bladen was the fact that there seemed to be cyclops using light magic. Dangerous indeed if they could even wound the General. As others quickly and easily dispatched those in his way, he darted forward, sword drawn. He would take out the danger, and let the others focus on those trying to escape with the goods of the town.

Bladen to 13-6, iron sword Cleric #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bladen swings!
Roll: 68,12
He scores!
11 damage, down goes the cleric!
Bladen gains +34 EXP, +2 sword WEXP!
Bladen levels!
Level 6! +HP/STR/SPD/DEF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Jezebel, hmm? If you can't fight, then move yourself out of harm's way, miss Jezebel." Nessraya replied as she took hold of the stolen property, keeping an eye out for any other thieves nearby. There were a few close who looked as though they were soon to strike, but of greater note was one leaving a house, plunder already in hand. They would be gone in a flash if they weren't swiftly dealt with-

A hiss escaped the General's lips as a cleric who had been hiding around the corner unleashed their magic. It stung, but they had been dealt with accordingly. She'd simply have to take her life force back from the light slinger's accomplice.

Nessraya to 15,6 and attack thief 2 with Fire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enemy Phase/Turn 2!

"What's taking them so long... Richter, go and see what's going on! I've been hearing screams, and not from the villagers. It's worrying."

"On it, boss." Richter gave a half salute, and began to head towards the commotion... "Wha... Who are you guys!?"

Richter moves to 12,2!

The oni looks less intimidating than the girl who just killed several of his buddies, so Mercenary #5 turn the corner against him!
Roll: 100,4
A dangerous miss!
Ren counters!
Roll: 21,97 (53)
13 damage!
Ren gains +11 EXP, +1 lance WEXP!

Thieves spawn from several houses, and the woods!

Player Phase/Turn 3!

niEE5Sb.png

Goal: Don't let the thieves escape! The northern thief will try to escape through the top of the map!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"..." Marina's reaction to Lavinia was clear. In her head, she had several thoughts on what Lavinia's look was for, but her voice was clear. Was it for removing the Holy Sword? Was I wrong, then? In her attempt to try and help Lavinia, did she only make it worse? Marina for a moment, really did just want to disappear, and soon, there was an, "...I'm sorry," in a solemn tone.

She returned to assessing the fighting from her view. The final enemy seemed to run off; maybe to fight someone else. Considering the sudden feelings, it was probably for the best if Marina didn't go pursuing another person right now. Especially with her body suddenly feeling sluggish, her eyes starting to waver.

Sleeping sounded really nice, right now...


It seemed the ruffian was fleeing to the east, another, seemingly one of the higher ranked individuals coming Taiyute's way. And it tandem, their way considering the state of the fighting. As she prepared for an attack, she was approached by someone. One from the other group it seemed. She took a long gaze, trying to gauge out the individual she has encountered.

Green skin... appearance as if she's seen much battle... "{Zombie.} ...Err, yes, um..." Focus on the common tongue, "Greetings, I... name, 'Taiyute'. I, travel here, to see fighting and I... {If you're an ally...}" A pause, accidentally slipping into primordial speak, "If you are doing the protecting, I will, follow your lead, madam..." Despite the strong voice, carried by the wind to seem as if carrying a constant echo, there was clear shyness to the Genasi's words as she hadn't fully grasped terrestrial speak yet.

Edited by Silver Gallade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By some miracle Suzume had left after Ayane made her case. It seemed the was struggling with herself quite badly, the very sight of it was enough to bring Ayane to her knees. "Ah...sister..." She watched her half undead sibling run away further and further until her body was obscured by the trees. Poor Ayane wanted very badly to go after her, but her legs didn't seem to want to work right now. Nor did the rest of her for some reason. She just stayed there, by her grounded blade. "...."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm, the sword did sap strength, she could feel it tugging at her, sucking a small stream of the magic that kept her animated for its own use. But, all things told, it wasn't so bad as she'd expected, from having a look at Xalrei's condition. Curious. Well, the dragon probably took several hits from her opponents as well, let's not blame everything on Requiem.

The strange newcomer did, it turns out, speak the common tongue... though their command of it was perhaps suspect, as Taiyute kept slipping in and out of that and gibberish. There'd be time enough later to ask her where she was from, and when she'd arrived, and why here, but for now the zombie's words seemed to be effective. The rest of her group should be safe from any third party interference. She nodded, and pointed in the direction of one thief that had just been spotted exiting someone's home. "If you wouldn't mind, I think your services could best be put to use there. I will see about," Jade frowned as she turned her head to consider Richter, "I will draw the attention of the vampire, don't worry, you will be able to pass him by."

Bracing herself for another siphon of strength as she fueled Requiem, the merchant drove her cart closer, took aim, and stated, "You picked the wrong time to turn on this town."

Jade to 13-3, Requiem shoot Richter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A vampire. That was dangerous. With it being night, who knows how strong he would be? This one was going to be tricky. Someone was going to have to help. He looked to the general, but quickly realized she was going to be needed to chase after the thieves fleeing the nearby houses. Xal was almost collapsed nearby and this wasn't something Bladen could leave up to a human. The Hero was too far away anyways and he didn't trust the other one to do the job well enough. That left one option.

As he dashed towards the Vampire, his small wings suddenly burst into their full size. A few flaps and he was airborne, staying low to the ground for now. As he reached the zombie, he flared his wings, slowing down enough for him to grab the gun she held. He didn't want to do this. It wasn't his weapon to wield. But right now he needed every advantage he could get. "I'll return this soon. I promise." 

With that, he took to the air. A swoop up and then he plunged down. A move his father had always preferred, he'd never been confident enough to try it before. But if it was ever going to work, now is when he needed it. Closing in on the Vampire, faster than ever, he pulled the now transformed sword back and swung, letting gravity help pull the sword down faster than he could have managed on his own.

13-2, borrow Requiem from Jade and stab Richter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabriela saw Ren and a mercenary, also known as a beastly troglodyte, and something clicked inside her head. I need to protect him! And so, she flew over to his side.

"Ren! Be careful! These brutes will use any dirty tactic necessary to not only kill you, but also plunder your belongings. Take it from someone with experience. We can't let such a thing happen to these fantastic weapons, can we? Allow me to assist." Gabriela goes over and grabs his spear, the Yari. "This is a beautiful lance, even if it's a bit heavy. I can make sure no one steals this while you do work on the thieves! If you want it back though, you have to show me a good time. Nothing is for nothing!" Gabriela gives a wink and then looks at the Mercenary standing nearby. "What are you staring at? I'll show you my light!"

Gabriela moves to 11-13, trades the Yari from Ren, and then attacks the Mercenary #5.

Edited by Michelaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What, the... Wh-What is that weapon!?"
Richter watches in horror as the gun becomes a sword!
Roll: 45,92 (69,18)
14 damage!
"Ahhhgh... Gahh...!"
Bladen gains +84 EXP!
Richter drops a ROAST!

Gabriela tugs on Ren's shaft and blasts another guy away!
Roll: 99,8
Super blasted!
45 damage!
Gabriela gains +40 EXP, +4 light WEXP!

"Hokay... Looks like they've got things handled over there. Uh, uhm, m-miss Ayane? You, you can do it! Keep it up! I don't, really get what's g-going on, but you're real strong! So... You can handle it!"
Taliyah scoots to 3,10

Lavinia sighed. "We'll discuss it later. Things seem to be clearing up quite quickly, so take care of the enemies that are left, and take care of yourself." The vampire still wasn't quite sure what had come over Marina, but there was no point in questioning it at the moment. There were pressing matters. "Xalrei!" Lavinia kept her staff at the ready, fixing the dragon's wounds this time. "Laselia and Rals would have all of ours heads if you were to perish... I realize you've taken an interest in Requiem, but there is clearly something wrong with it, currently. Try to use it lightly, if you can."

Lavinia to 12,6, heal the durgon
+11 exp, +2 staff wexp

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even more of the bastards... had they gotten into every house in the village? The others appeared to have the aggressive ones handled for the time being, so there was little reason for her to stop recovery efforts. Before the third thief could get more than a few steps past the doorway they had exited, Nessraya had lobbed another fire spell in their direction.

Nessraya to 19,6 and Fire Sword thif 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taliyah's words were brief, but they did reach Ayane. "...hm." She had a duty to perform, despite circumstances. She will have a chance to find her sister again, she knew it. So with that in mind Ayane stood up and took her sheathed Orochinagi from the ground. She raised her head and looked toward Taliyah. She didn't say a single word however, all she did was nod and return to the battlefield.

You can take that as approval if you want, Taliyah.

Ayane moves to 7-13 and waits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As he calmed down from that sudden family reunion, Ren watched as Ayane also dealt with her turmoil of emotions.  Not quite the same as him, but he knew that his cousin was definitely feeling this worse than him.  Still, they had to endure and stay alive until they could meet Suzume once more.

Hopefully, it didn't end in more bloodshed.

Before he could move from his spot though, a sudden relief spread through him as he saw Gabriela reach him unscathed.  "Thank you Gabriela, I'll keep that in mind.  Usually I don't have issues dealing with these barbarians, but after- E-eh????"

She didn't let him finish, the Siren suddenly taking his Yari from him as he blinked and wondered what just happened.  At the realization of her words, his pale cheeks brightened up with a blush, simply nodding as he tried to clear his head of any indecent thoughts.

S-She didn't mean it like that.  We just met, and yes she's very s-stunning but...o-oh dear..

"That...is a problem for Future Ren to handle," he muttered to himself, shaking his head as a soft huff of amusement left him.  With a smile on his lips and feeling like a weight has been lifted, he moved to keep an eye on the thief near him.  After taking out a vulnerary and applying it to his wounds, he felt better for the moment.  Now holding his Tonbokiri, a threatening aura surrounded him as he kept a close eye on the thief.

Ren moves to 12,16, applies a vuln and gives off a threatening vibe towards the thief

Edited by sweet podado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina simply nodded in response to Lavinia. She felt herself easing up at least a little bit, as she watch Lavinia go to heal Xalrei who seemed to almost be struggling. Something that caused even more concern for Marina. Too many thoughts at once, too little energy, too little time. "Okay, I gotta..." What was she planning to do? At first it seemed like in her direction, there wasn't much left to fight. That considered that a good thing, given her current condition.

So Marina took the time, and moved to warn who she could of the ongoing threat. Best to try and help someone else while everyone else took care of the main problem.

Marina moves to 17,10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, battle. Unrestrained, nourishing battle. Xalrei wasted little time in felling one of their enemies, and Requiem in turn consumed their spirit completely, leaving behind a searing mess. Now this was more like it, the cursed blade's goal if not its purpose. Requiem had been on the cusp of making a tactical suggestion, or a nudge toward further carnage if you'd prefer, when it was promptly returned to Xalrei's belt.

Why?

Forsaken for an axe of all things. Was the strain of wielding such a powerful weapon too much for Xalrei? If that were the case, then why hold onto it? Too strong to wield, yet too alluring to part with? 'I will not spectate idly whilst blood is spilled,' Requiem protested.

It wasn't long before the empty one approached, and through Xalrei, Requiem learned that there were others interested in taking advantage of the cursed blade's power in this brawl. Excellent. Better still, Xalrei proved to not be as attached as Requiem suspected. The feast would continue. For a time, at least.

Things became a little strange when the cursed blade found itself changing shape, not into a melee weapon or a bow like before, but a firearm. Right away, Requiem realized it was going to be projecting a small part of itself at very high speed at an enemy, and to say that was novel would be an understatement. When the shot came, Requiem felt like a part of itself had disappeared entirely. Quickly though, it found what was missing, a small piece calling back to it, promising a now vulnerable soul ripe for devouring. The body left behind was, like all the others Requiem had feasted on, an unsightly heap of cooked meat and bone.

'Well done, strange blade ... You actually make a pretty good gun.'

The empty one's words were casual enough to slightly annoy Requiem, but that was more than offset by the incoming energy. A gun hadn't been the ideal form for gathering souls or magical energy, but Requiem supposed that as long as it was used and fed, its various shapes, however strange, didn't matter, nor any praise. In fact, with enough energy built up, the nigh starving weapon could probably find a way to ease the burden on its wielders. There were no guarantees, but perhaps the promise alone would be enough to encourage them. All Requiem knew for certain was that it could kill more easily with more power.

'The greater the power gathered, the less the burden. Strike them all down.'

From the look of things, the cursed firearm wouldn't need to do much in the way of encouraging them, as Jade tried to take down another enemy by shooting them. Requiem wasn't able to claim their soul this time, but it was close. One more shot would easily do it. Just as the second bullet dissolved into magical energy, Requiem was scooped up by one of the others. How vexing, and yet, this Bladen's intentions were clear enough. Transforming into a blade, Requiem prepared to bask in blood.

'More ...' the cursed blade couldn't help but call out as its power finally began to increase, 'More!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Marina-- Goodness..." She already left off on her own, getting away from Agni's sight as she walked into another road. That was concerning... but there was little Agni could do at that point. Marina was certainly strong-willed. "We should clean these stragglers up posthaste. What a mess." For once, Agni decided that Marina could be better off without his immediate attention. For now.

Cries for help could be heard, and Agni had his mind set that this was their duty for now, following alone to another house's entrance, readying some dark magic for an unlucky, petty ruffian.

"You'd do best rethinking your life. Well, perhaps it's too late, since you've met me."

Agni moves to (12,4), slings a flux spell at Sword Thief #5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...