Jump to content
SnakeMomMelissa

Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Recommended Posts

"Whoa! A blue lady!" Tonight kept getting weirder! "Uh... S-Sure! Er, c-come 'ere, jerk!"

Taliyah goes for the slap!
Roll1: 57,94
"S-Sorry about this!"
Roll2: 58,46
Taliyah knocks him out good!
"Phew... Didn't kill him."
+84 EXP, +6 axe WEXP!
Taliyah levels!
Level 7! +HP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"O-Oh," Xalrei momentarily paused, caught off guard at the sight before her. "At least you're okay! And thanks!" Xalrei managed to awkwardly reply to the bisected zombie as she grabbed the ring on the table, momentarily inspecting it. It looked to be made of gold and fitted with a ruby, though the ring's age had dulled it's color and shine. It wasn't quite to her tastes, but, jewelry was meant to be worn, so... The feeling of magic flowing into her, empowering her, was a welcome surprise, raising her mood somewhat.

Only for it to come crashing down as she exited the zombie's abode and Bladen explained just what had happened. "She what!?" A quick glance in that direction saw Lavinia hugging her fellow undead. Jade didn't appear to be mauling her... Before she could think on it, Bladen had flown off to the top of a nearby tree. While she could fly after him, try to make him explain further, there was truth in his words. Better to just end this now and sort this out later. Tonight really sucked!

Once again gripping Requiem in hand, she turned her attention towards the man shouting from the arena entrance. Wasn't that... It was! He was with these losers? Part of her was glad he was. He'd really roughed up Taliyah during her run. If there was a silver lining in all of this mess, it was that she could pay him back for that and be justified in her petty vengeance.

"Please. I handled you just fine earlier today and that was without this thing. What makes you think you have a chance now? Tell you what, I'll let you have you have the first swing. Not that it'll help you."

Xalrei moves to 7,3, equip Requiem, use aged energy ring, taunt Nimbus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You handled me fine because they make me hold back... Not anymore! 'Puff' fucking 'Trouble'!? What kind of loser stage name is that! My name is Nimbus, and if you think you're so tough, I'll SHOW YOU the difference my real power make!"

Xalrei gains +1 strength

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Holding back? Don't make me laugh. You what? Grabbed a heavier sword? You think things'll be different just because of that? You see this..." She paused, about to call Requiem a sword. "...Thing? It's a much bigger game changer than your dumb sword."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"...de ...mm ah... ..ak... up! ...ease!

Jade?"

Sounds. Words, but off-pitch: sometimes high and tinny, other times low and muffled. Not quite like trying to understand someone speaking to you while your head is held underwater, but honestly not quite that different either. At some point the repeated entreaties pierced through the haze and the fog, and Jade found that she was herself again. It came with a sense of almost vertigo; she wasn't looking where she had been in her last memory, things were off-balance, all akilter. One hand hit the ground, to keep herself from collapsing, and with the other the the zombie somewhat sheepishly brought it to her mouth and began wiping away the mess and the gore she'd left on her face.

She couldn't bear to keep looking Lavinia in the eyes. It was the vampire that had been shaking her, and who now embraced her, even in such a despicable state as she was. Of course. Who else would risk it? If she were in their shoes, she certainly wouldn't. Who could blame them?

"...Hhh. How long have I been... indisposed?" Jade managed after a few moments. It was all she could really bring herself to say.

Edited by Balcerzak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Looks like a rusted hunt of scrap to me! Bring it on you shitty lizard!"


Talking. Talking was good... That meant Jade was coming back around. Lavinia let her go enough to talk, a steady hand still on her shoulder. "A few moments... Nothing more. I'm going to be blunt... You bit Bladen. He'll be alright, but... Likely wary of you, for a while. I..." What words would help this situation? Did they exist? 'Don't be too hard on yourself', as if such blatant patronizing would cover any of this. "It will get better." That was the best she had. "Now, is not the time for this, but..." Reaching into a pouch at her side, she took out the vial of vampire blood. Taking Jade's hand, she gently pressed it into hers, nodding quickly.

"I am not telling you to drink this. Alright? Let me make this crystal clear; I am giving you this, because I do not want you to hate yourself. You hurt an ally... There will be a rift of trust there that, will get better, but it will take some time." Jade more than understood that, lingering there would make this worse. "Being like me comes with its own host of problems, but I've never lost myself. It won't make your day to day any easier... But it might make you hate yourself less. That's all. Take as long as you need to decide... And if you decide against it, simply give it back to me. I won't speak of this again."

Lavinia stood up, waiting just a moment to see if Jade would need help getting up. "I'll be back once this is wrapped up, I promise. We can spend some time dressing each others wounds..." Lavinia felt around her neck with a wry smile. "I put on a strong face earlier, but I... Am going to need a few stitches in the back. I'd love your help." Something to look forward to could help Jade keep moving... Maybe. With a small wave, hopefully Jade could handle picking herself up. Lavinia had another she needed to keep an eye on.

"Xalrei!" What was this idiot doing, enraging this guy!? She'd get an earful later, likely from someone she'd listen to. For now, Lavinia could do little but heal her wounds and hope.

Lavinia to 7,2, heal the durgon.
+11 exp, +2 staff wexp

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ren moves to 18,13 and...!

Oh?  At this range, he can see the hero better.  Ren's brows furrowed.  Did the heroes always looked this...young?  She was just a child...why were they...No.    He shook his head.   The oni will deal with this later when he properly introduced himself to the girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina soon caught the eye of a thief running into the town again. A sigh, but she knew she had to make a move before he ran off with anything. She sprinted as fast as she could to catch up to the thief, seeing him start to run out of the tavern. Out of her view as well, she spotted another Oni going that same way. Friend? Foe? She wasn't entirely sure, but it wasn't gonna stop her from keeping these thieves from robbing the less fortunate.

"Hey! You're not getting through here without getting through me!" Marina yelled as she charged with her blade, feeling a sudden urge of adrenaline to push herself again.

Marina moves to 20,13 (solid year), and attacks Axe Thief #3 with her Iron Sword!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marinara still has the sauce!
Roll: 78,3
Critical!
36 damage!
Down he goes!
+71 EXP, +2 sword WEXP!
Marina levels up!
Level 10! +HP/STR/LCK/DEF
Marina picks up the dragonshield!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moments, not minutes. That was good. A small wave of relief began to wash over Jade's face, but then the sober news dropped. She'd attacked Bladen while she was out of control. There were no excuses, the zombie just turned her head, down and to the side, and just stared past the vampire's waist to the ground. Lavinia kept talking, it didn't really register, her internal dialogue with herself was already deeply enmeshed in figuring out how she'd phrase her goodbyes. A group this important could hardly stand to have a rogue like her around, after all. The general would kick her out, and she'd go back on her way, hitting the road again, returning to the lonely solo merchant life.

Something cold, round, and hard pressed into her hand finally brought a stop to the narrative playing out in her head, Lavinia's hand squeezing Jade's fingers shut around it and the vampire's voice came back into focus now, driving off other distractions. Jade had at least one ally, and at least one other option. It wasn't something being recommended, necessarily. But it was a gift of mercy as a last resort, if nothing else. It gave Jade a strange kinship to that archetypal ex-captain, marooned on a deserted isle, holding the pistol with one bullet in it that his former crew had left him.

The merchant had no idea what she should say, she simply nodded, and took the precious gift. It was still too soon to use it, but maybe just having it... just knowing it was there would be enough? Jade tried to smile, at least a little, but it probably looked gruesome. "Something to figure out later," the zombie managed haltingly, replying to the vampire's other attempt to cheer her up, having put forth an offer for mutual help with the healing. "The town is still in danger, no?" And that did seem to be the common consensus, and now convinced that Jade was no longer a danger to herself or others, Lavinia hurried off to heal Xalrei.

Where should she go, how should she help out? Stumbling back to her wagon, her 'mares gave some concerned sounding whinnies as she climbed up to the driver seat, but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary there. Jade needed to steer a wide berth from the fallen she'd run afoul, so heading straight to the source of the problem, the swordsman leading this operation from out of the arena, that was off the table. Might just be better heading back toward the center of town, see if anybody needed help with anything. Along the way, the merchant almost bumped ran over Agni, but pulled to the side in time and called down after him. "How goes? Everything all right with you? Need anything?"

head on over to agni (10,6) and deliver him some ranged goods

Edited by Balcerzak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabriela flew over to 18,12

"Hello, Ren. Are you doing alright? I believe the battle is almost over." Gabriela looked a bit concerned, but elated as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agni continued concerned with Marina, well out of his line of sight, his concern only in check thanks to his stalwart discipline --and trust in Marina's capabilities. Deep down, he wondered if that kind of overt concert for the girl would turn out to be a burden later. But still, as she was his entrusted protegé...

That would be a distraction proven fatal at any other moment, as Jade and her wagon got close to Agni before he'd realized it. "Ah, Jade. Good timing." While he greeted Jade with a courteous, slight smile, internally Agni had begun berating himself for that moment of distraction, lost in his own mind. "It seems things are a bit louder on the other side of the road. If you could, I believe there should be some throwing weapons I could use in the wagon..." It has been a time since he'd used throwing daggers, and he was quite unfamiliar with the design of that particular kind, but nothing that he couldn't handle. Surely.

With shurikens received from Jade, Agni goes to (7,6), and throws them at Nimbus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alright you lizard get ready to-- O-Ow!?"
Shurikens outta nowhere!
Roll1: 30,46 (7)
Ignis!
6 damage!
Roll2: 47,42 (46)
Doublecast!
4 damage!
Agni gains +11 exp, +2 hidden wexp!

Enemy Phase!

"Alright, you... Taste my blade!"
Nimbus is tired of being just a Puff!
Roll: 91,1 (100)
Big whiff!
Xalrei stabs back! No one calls her a lizard!
Roll: 98,51
Perhaps she was too mad!
Whiff!

Player Phase!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed that most of the thieves had been dealt with, the majority of their fighting force gathered around the arena... best to head that way just in case she was needed, but with any luck whomever remained there would be quickly felled by the group that had gathered about them. May as well begin triage while she moved over, then. Stopping for a moment in front of Jade, who seemed... not only injured but rather shaken, oh dear, Nessraya began work healing the merchant immediately.

"Jade... you seem shaken. What happened over here while I dealt with the runners?"

Nessraya to 9,6 and heal Jade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina couldn't tell what was going on with her tonight. A single swipe, and yet another thief had dropped at her feet. It was a bizarre feeling. It wasn't like the last days of her crusade. She wasn't enjoying it, not at all, but it didn't feel as hard as before. Was it her setting a real goal for herself? Reaching at the dead thief, she noticed something he seemed to have smuggled from the tavern. It was some sort of shield. Turning to the oni, it seemed that Gabriela knew who he was, so she turned to the tavern.

Maybe she didn't need to do so, but it made Marina feel better if she tried return the shield. Entering the door, she called out to whoever would answer, "H-Hello? I don't know who lost it, but I-I got back your shield!"

Marina moves to 20,14, and enters the tavern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Whazzat!? Who'z what's... A girlie!" The drunk barkeep picked himself up from behind the counter, mead sloshing about. "Rrrrrrright... Shield... That thing, s'a prize. What's twelve, times twelve! Ain't nobody knows math round here, so ain't nobody that can get it from me! Wahahaha!"


Jade's wounds close instantly
+11 exp +2 staff wexp

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina was confused. She was being tested? On Math? I mean, it was a simple question, but her face showed true that she was definitely not sure what was going on. Oh well,

"W-Well... twelve times twelve should be, one-hundred fourty-four, if I'm right," she answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hah! That's wro... Er... Wha?" He fished a slip out of his pocket and then made a frown, before looking at Marina, then back at it. This happened a few times before he tossed it aside and shrugged. "Well. That's, right."

Marina can keep the shield!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Oh." Huh. What an interesting even that has occurred. Marina gave a bow, "T-Thank you sir, I'm grateful. I'll put it to good use," and soon she turned around, "Take care!" and went back out to finish what had been started tonight.

After she left, her somber look was momentarily overtaken by a small snicker, thinking about how silly that whole thing was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agni had requested thrown weaponry, and the option Jade had provided seemed to have proven effective, if the cursing from the other side of the building was any indication. The alleyway was much too narrow for her to take her wagon down, but maybe she could follow the man's lead on this one? The zombie was readying her rifle for a shot when the general stopped by. Her magical attentions were welcome, but her questions... less so.

An unhappy grimace crossed the merchant's face, and the brief thought of refusing to answer crossed her mind. But Nessraya would hear the truth sooner or later, so better it come from her now, than to try to dodge it, right?

"I wish I could tell all the details, but the truth is I lost myself for a bit there. I heard it secondhand that I attacked Bladen, so you should probably see about treating him. I think Lavinia said you'd be better for that than her? I don't remember."

Jade finished sighting and squeezed the trigger. "...If you wanna restrain me, I won't resist," she demonstrated her willingness to comply by setting down the gun, and descending from her seat at the reins to the succubus's level on the ground. Hopefully her shot had connected with the rowdy elf, had given her one last good deed to help balance out the ledger before the general took whatever actions she saw fit.

Jade scoots between Agni and Nessraya and shoots at Nimbus with the Rifle

Edited by Balcerzak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Restrain you? Now why would I do that? If what I'm hearing is correct, you had no control over yourself, your actions weren't pre-meditated, and you wouldn't be asking me to heal a corpse, so I doubt you ripped out the poor bird's throat." Nessraya shook her head, glancing towards Bladen around the corner... he too seemed shaken, having climbed a tree to brood, but the wound didn't appear grievous at any rate. She'd have to inspect it properly when she had a moment to, of course.

"I appreciate you being forthright with me, Jade. But I'm not going to arrest you. By Vaian law... your issues with Bladen are your own to sort out, unless he contests that there was no malicious intent on your part. We would need to investigate in such a case, but... well, zombies are not the only monsters who can suffer from sudden onset hunger. Any jailer in Vaia worth their salt has seen a fair share of cases go nowhere." The General added, patting the remorseful zombie on the shoulder.

"Now pick up your gun. If any more of them decide to try and sneak off with anything, I'd like to have a proper crack shot on the case."

Edited by Ether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What the FUCK did you call me you big-headed, spikey-haired, arena chump!?" Xalrei roared as she lunged at Nimbus, swinging Requiem wildly in his direction.

She missed? No, she wasn't going to allow him to say shit like that and get off scot free! Time for round two!

Stab Nimbus real good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She stabs him good this time!
Roll: 67,52
13 damage!
He swings back!
Roll: 61,37 (41)
A miss!
-4 HP from Requiem!
Xalrei gains +11 exP!

"Don't be so reckless! Xalrei!" All she could keep doing was healing her.
+11 EXP, +2 staff WEXP
Lavinia levels up!
Level 10! +HP/STR/MAG/DEF/RES

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed things were wrapping up. A good thing, of course. This group, whoever they were. They were capable, in a beautiful sense. So beautiful, Taiyute was unable to properly speak it in common tongue.

It seemed there was on thing left to do. The enemy commander appeared wide open. A stomp, as she channeled her magic again. Her wind magic channeled through her fist, "Begone, unfortunate one." She simply announced, as she threw her wind spell like a fist into Nimbus Conflict.

Taiyute moves to 6,3, and casts Wind on Nimbus Conflict!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...