Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

"And we will keep it that way, for your magic isn't something to be thrown about in the battlefield," Bridgit offers softly as she looks down at her hands.  "Trust me when I say that it's better to help another way, and that there's nothing honorable in taking another's life."  There's certainly some mixed feelings she's come to realize throughout her journey with the others, but the Pureblood isn't one to openly let them out.  Not when others have more important things than pay attention to a spoiled brat.

Still, she can't help but feel at ease with the star beside her.  Bridgit lets her expression soften as she gives her a small smile, tucking her hands behind her back.  "You help enough actually.  Caring for us after battle, asking and making sure we're alright...I appreciate that.  Truly," she admits while floating up once more.  "In fact you just helped me right now!  Your presence is a nice one..."

[h]

At the oni's jab he can't help the growl leaving him in offense.  "The only reason I didn't act upon your presence is because it'd be stupid to alert everyone else after such a fight we went through.  I had thought of dealing with anything that came up after on my own along with Ayane.  Shows how much you know of us," he spats, eyes still narrowed while moving along as he continues to keep an eye on Mae.  It's only when she brings up the rest of what she knows that has him shifting away from a threatening position...but only just.

Anger is quickly replaced by a fear that creeps through him, realizing what she's talking about.  Who she's talking about.

"That...she can't.  We cannot let this happen, and I can't stress this enough and the immediate danger we're all in if she succeeds," he presses on, glad that his cousin removes the oni away from the priestess.  In the meantime he moves over to Taiyou, placing a cold and gentle hand on her shoulder as he makes even more space between the oni and herself.  "Are you alright?" he asks, concern on his features before looking over at Shizuka and waving her over with his free hand.  "Ayane has the situation under control...for now.  We don't know what this Mae really wants apart from...you know," he says this with a slight cough before offering an apologetic smile at Taiyou.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astraea frowned, knowing that Bridgit was speaking the truth, even if it didn't relieve the guilt. "It is not about taking a life, of course. Death is something that is scarce in my people, but when it happens it is always a tragedy. I do not wish to harm others. But I also do not wish that my new friends would be hurt fighting when I am left upon the sides." She sighed, absentmindedly running a hand through her hair. "I am glad that thou are pleased with my presence though. I would not want to do anything else. I hope that the battle has not left you upset or injured."

Bladen shook his head, troubled expression still not leaving his face despite his words. "I will do what needs to be done. Anything else would leave the people I care about at risk. The more I know about our enemy, the better. So white and red. I will remember that. They won't take you, I promise." Pretty quickly though, his cheeks turned the color of the mentioned eyes as Yui gently teased him. "Ah, uhm, well, I will do my best. All I know is that she makes me happy. So I'll do what I can to keep her safe and happy. She's worth it, after all."

Verah was panicking quietly, getting pointed towards several of the most influential people in the country... It seemed like she wouldn't have any backup either, as Lucille had fallen asleep, and Jade was going to help Seilan with getting her setup to sleep. Taking the second deepest breath of her life, Verah slowly nodded, bowing towards Jade and Seilan. "Th-Thank you for the help! And the talk... Hopefully I can see the lot of you around, if... If things go well." Even if she couldn't convince the King to let her join, hopefully she could at least convince passage into Hwein. Safe travels, and all that. Not that it's much safer in Hwein, but being alone here is still pretty dangerous. There must be leftover pockets of rebellious folk, even with Ithraxl slain.

With another quick bow, she left them to their devices, hoping to speak with Nessraya. The King was just too intimidating...

Mae could only roll her eyes at the oozing pride of the royalty in front of her. "Yes, yes, you're both such magnificent warriors, bold and brave enough to face any challenge, dexterous enough to fight any foe, and aware of all danger surrounding you... Phfft, hahah~" Mae was sure that Ayane was the only one here that stood a chance of surviving her, but at the very least, she didn't have to find out, now. Nothing they'd said had annoyed her... But the hand holding her back did bring about a scowl. Her smirk remained, but a line had certainly been crossed.

"What I do with the priestess is between us, Princess Kusanagi... I didn't escape Ouka's control to have someone I don't even swear fealty to anymore, get between me and my destiny. All that I will promise you is that I will not touch her again, without permission... But, if I wish to be close to her, you will have no say. I hope we can come to an understanding~" Her usual lilt slipped back in, calming down as she spoke.

Brushing past Ayane, Mae hopped over to Taiyou, though she at least kept her promise, hands to herself. "Of course I was~ And of course I'm in love... Do you really think an oni under her direct control would be smart enough to pull this kind of plan? I'd at least have come up with a better excuse, don't you think~? Now, now, come, we've got so much to talk about~ I want to know all about what you like, your duties, what you enjoy wearing... Fill me in." A waggle of her eyebrows, Mae was certainly going to be... A handful.

Tenna sighed... "Do you, hate me that much, that you already forgot about the talk we had...? I get it, if you do. But, just... Remember, what we talked about. Please." Her attempts wouldn't work out if Xalrei was already going to blank on them... Then again... She... She never did agree to be friends. Barely, acquaintances, but... I-I can't give up, just because of that. We both want the same thing... "I, I kn-knnow Marin, na's right there, but... She's... I'm, nnnot good in groups. And I..." Tenna let out a huff, giving Xalrei a glance, before looking back down to the ground.

"... I have a, a crush on her. Being around her is... S-Stifling. I don't, even kn-knn, know if this is, really love or, just something fleeting. She was the on, nly person to give me the time of day, in those years I'd locked myself away. I... I guess, I was... I was desperate for contact. Seeing her again... I-I'm, I'm so happy she's okay! But... But, I'm scared. Scared if I was, just, using her to escape my loneliness, or if those feeling meant annn, nything. I can't confront, her... A-And you, probably don't care about an, nny, of this. Hah..."

"... Sh-She's not my mom," Thesephine countered with a blush, pouting. "Let's... Let's just hope that Yggdrasil can give us the time to fix things. Hopefully she's willing to be that lenient... At the very least." A sigh left Thessy. She was tired now, and needed rest... They'd likely make camp nearby before leaving. "Let's go setup a tent and get some sleep, Solly... The militia that Amera brought with her can secure the fort."

"Ayane!" Ariana arrived with her sword drawn, scowling down the new oni, though... No one else had weapons drawn, not even this 'enemy', making her feel moderately awkward. With a hefty pause, she sheathed her sword, coughing, clearing her throat. "Uhm... Wh-What's, what's going on, here?" Marina was coming up behind her shortly, Ariana glancing back to look at the girl, confusion still apparent on her face. Was this oni another ally, then?

"I've got plenty of stamina... You know I don't slack off." Amera gave Nessraya a squint, grabbing Suki by the arm, starting to drag the wolf away. "If you need a snack, see me in my tent later. This one needs explained what you were about to do to her... So she can at least make an informed decision."

Suki didn't quite understand what was going on, but she felt as though she was in for a punishment, with how harshly Amera was dragging her off. "I-I, sorry! Not, understand, what do wrong..."

"It's nothing you did, Suki... And it's not technically Nessraya's fault, either. She needs to 'eat' to live, it's how their race works. Just need to make sure you know exactly what 'eating' entails."

"E-Eat? Me!? I, not food! Not, understand..."

"Shh. I'll explain... Promise."

"Worth it, goodness. Guess I'll need to be extra nice tonight in our tent~" Asami was smiling ear to ear with all the praise, giggling quite loudly to herself. Yui simply blushed and looked away, understanding exactly what Asami had in mind.

"J-Just, keep it down. None of us want to hear that, after all."

"You don't want to... I'm sure there's a pervert or four here that wants to listen in~"

"Ugh..."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

A Succubus Scorned

Spoiler

A small frown as she looked over herself, wearing this one last outfit. She hated to admit it, but this one fit her form and features perfectly, whereas the previous ones had had problems in either respect. But this one was… Awfully showy, for her liking. “...You’re sure you haven’t got anything a bit… more covering? Or was this the last piece?” She was a bit exasperated, but fit was more important than keeping her sense of modesty. Would be even worse if it just fell off or constricted her.

“I-I’m, sorry ma’am… But… For your size…” The blonde elf behind the counter shook her head, though, she was confused by why this succubus wanted something more covering. “Er… A-As well, considering how much you’re leaking, I figured… Well, the idea was that you wanted to be showing off… If that was rude of me to assume, I might have, one or two more, but they are… Definitely not in your size.” A disappointed sigh left her. She hadn’t expected a woman to walk in with such an impressive chest. Another thing to add to the list of clothes she’d need to make just to have things covered.

A sigh left the succubus as well, shaking her head a tad. She’d heard others describe her problem as ‘leaking’ before, but never even nearly as often as after she’d come to Vaia. “Okay, don’t bother then. I’d rather have clothes that fit me as well as this does.” With that, her choice seemed to be clear, even if one she didn’t want to end on, and slung what little belongings she still had on her back. “Thanks for letting me work for it. Probably not every day you get a succubus barge in demanding clothes for something other than money.” Nor would the hypothetical succubi have been wearing just the little she’d been sleeping in earlier.

“I-It’s fine, really. I couldn’t just leave you to walk around in… What you were wearing before.” The succubus had basically shown up in what could’ve been considered expensive lingerie, and as she was letting out so much of her magic at the time, the elf had been worried about something else happening… But she’d just demanded clothes in exchange for work. I’m going to be glad she’s gone, though… So many customers felt uncomfortable because of that aura she just can’t seem to get under control… Surely that isn’t on purpose… Right? “I wish you well on your journey… And I hope the clothes suit you, er, well enough. I’ll make sure to have more in stock next time you come by.”

The tailor’s concern was appreciated, even if the succubus wouldn’t let it show. She was still fuming internally from why she was in this situation in the first place. “If there is a next time. Things go well, I’ll be back home in Hwein soon enough.” With a half-hearted wave, she walked out of the store, trying to think of what her next move was going to be. She needed information above all… There was no point going on a wild goose chase.

“Ah, of cou-- W-Wait Hwein!?” But she was already gone… “You’re… You’re going to go there, like that? I… Oh, dear… But, all of the humans…”

Before she could get any new leads, the succubus had to gather her thoughts for what she already had. The more she could provide anyone she’d ask, the better her chances that they’d be able to help her further… But all she really had were the results of her intuition, and a little bit of tracking knowledge. If only she had more experience in that field…

What was obvious to her was that a single person couldn’t have taken all of that while hauling their own gear, unless they had much better constitution than the usually-heavily armored tall succubus did. That, and a single person wouldn’t have left that much of a mess outside her tent. Bedroll, tent, her nightwear, and her hidden shotgun with a small load of ammo, maybe enough for one good firefight… Add the clothes she now wore, and you had everything she still had on her person. At least she’d never be entirely defenseless.

...She might have been used to people giving her looks, they did all the time back home, but here in Vaia, it was different. But that was fine by her, she’d rather be looked at with frustration than… Ugh. A scowl and a quick shake of the head to clear her thoughts. She really shouldn’t be pissing herself off any more than she already was.

“E-Excuse me!” A rather unassuming human suddenly approached Nashwa. Adorned in robes, weather a sun hat, carrying scrolls, with glasses on his face, the man couldn’t have been a day over twenty five, though his clothes were odd for the weather. “I, uhm… Miss, this, is very forward of me, but, I-I must draw you! I must! Please, you, you have to let me… I, just… I, can’t take my eyes off of you. Please, become my muse!”

And, here was the more familiar type. At least this one was being… more courteous, than her usual. Maybe she wouldn’t have to pull out the usual threats to get rid of them. That’d be a nice change… “Artist, huh? Sorry, but I’m busy with my own business. I’m a mercenary, not a muse, and I don’t have the time for any of this,” Nashwa replied uninterestedly, not even sparing the man a glance after she’d recognized what he was after. Maybe she could ask the border guards… They’d likely be the most reliable source of the type of information she was after.

“No!” He suddenly grabbed after her wrist, trying to hold onto her, even drag her away with him. “I must! I MUST! You don’t understand… If I don’t draw you, right now, I’ll have this chance burned into my mind forever! You must come with me and let me draw you… Perhaps with less clothing, yes, your natural beauty must be preserved…!” He’d started giggling, completely lost in Nashwa’s enrapturing aura.

No such luck today, but then, she was used to never having any luck to begin with. Despite her looks, the man would find it quite a bit more difficult to drag her anywhere than maybe expected… and with a quick movement of her ungrasped arm, a shotgun barrel pointed at him. “I said. I don’t have the time for this. Let me go, or I’ll make you.” Much as this should’ve made her properly angry given everything, it was just too much of a routine occurrence.

“Hiiiii!” The shotgun broke whatever trance he’d been stuck in quite easily, letting go of her and collapsing down to the ground. He scrambled to gather his scrolls, rushing away, though he did glance back at her several times, despite his fear.

The succubus would put her gun back almost as quickly as she’d drawn it, taking a deep breath and a sigh before continuing on her way. It had been a while since she’d had anyone insist that strongly… Definitely the fault of not having her usual gear. All the more reason to get on the thieves’ trail as soon as possible.

Not too far away from where that little incident had occurred, she’d find some of the guards stationed at the town, trying to downplay her usual sullen look as she approached them. Hopefully they’d have something for her, or else she’d have to start scouring the town for any clues she might find. “Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk?”

The two guards stationed by the entrance to the inn both gave Nashwa a look as she approached. One of them, the zombie, rolled his eyes, scowling at her, before leaving the wolfman he’d been on duty with to the fate of dealing with the succubus.

“O-Oi! Frederick! Where are you… Ahhh… H-Hello. Ma’am.” The wolfman, barely entering adulthood, couldn’t help where his eyes landed, looking down a bit to try and meet her eyes, but… “Ah! M-My apologies! What can I help you with!?” He was very suddenly looking up at the sky, saluting Nashwa, though he couldn’t stop his tail wagging.

Great, even the guards she’d found weren’t too happy to deal with her. Or rather, one wasn’t, and the other was getting distracted. She wouldn’t be able to hide her mild frown with that kind of reception. “I’ve got a pretty big problem. Most of my belongings were stolen while I was asleep, not very far from here. Just the amount of things they took likely wouldn’t have been carried by one person,” she explained, trying to see if this wolfman was paying enough attention to what she was saying. “Haven’t happened to see people, a small group maybe, carrying, not wearing, black armor and a large shield?”

Despite his initial impression, the wolfman was paying close attention to everything she was saying, though he had ended up shutting his eyes and holding his salute. “Y-Yes, ma’am! A group like that left town this morning, taking a wagon to Hwein, despite the warnings of what’s going on there! They said that they had a human informant so they would be alright, and nothing they were carrying was contraband or illegal, from our search of their carts, so we had no reason to hold them! I’m very sorry ma’am! I hope that I have been a good boy-- O-OF ASSISTANCE!”

Bluster aside, it seemed like Nashwa had gotten exactly what she was looking for. Thankfully. But that left her with another problem… She wouldn’t make it to Hwein alone, especially with her current dire lack of supplies. Not to mention she’d left there for a very good reason to begin with. “Yeah, that sounds like mine, alright. You couldn’t have known, so I can’t hold that against you,” the succubus said with a small sigh. “Thanks. I know where to go, at least…” A turn away and she’d be off… somewhere in the town. Now she really had to get lucky… finding even a merchant who’d be going to Hwein and willing to take a succubus on board would be much harder than normal with the circumstances being what they were. And luck was the last thing she wanted to rely on. ”Ugh… So tired… Haven’t had a real job in weeks, maybe even a month…”

“Y-You’re welcome, ma’am! If they return, we’ll apprehend them… Uhm… M-My name’s Phil! … Gahlee, what a w-woman…”

Another week of travel had the group leaving the fortress of Mixoco behind in the hands of Tepel's military and militia members. A proper force would be sent to inhabit the fort once things settled down, but for now, it would do. They had pressing business to continue on towards, for Marina and Thesephine both. The removal of Coteon's occupation from Hwein, and for the young King, saving her beloved from her fate as becoming the next world tree.

They had one final stop before they left for Hwein, and one that wouldn't be long. A border town, the only town along the road leading out of Vaia. It had long since lost its name, not housing any permanent residents aside from the guards that kept watch out against the sea of nothing. The few that remained had begun to call it Border, colloquially, to give it something to refer to it by.

The 'sea of nothing' was a great wasteland that stretched out between Hwein and Vaia. Only one road led through it, a road that had been a pain for both countries to connect, even if it was greatly beneficial in the end. The waste wasn't an average desert, where some life could thrive... It was a white, barren landscape, that held no life, produced no mana, and even seemed to suck away at the magic of those that traveled through it. Great preparations were required to cross through it without issue...

The caravan had come into town without issue; Thesephine's existence meant that they wouldn't be held up by any of her own soldiers.

"Now," the demon king began, "we're stopping here at Border to restock and to make sure we're set for crossing the wastes, not to sight see! Let's not dally here for too long... Get what you need to do done, and meet back up within an hour or two." Thesephine had her own business to attend to. She had to secure them extra wagons... Jade's was becoming beyond encumbered.

Player Phase/Turn 1

sPXAf5t.png

Thesephine moves to 9,8!
"Come on, Sollowy! Unless you've other business to attend to. I can handle wagons on my own."

Bladen to 12-12, visit the house

Bladen looked around nervously as he entered the town. There was... so much going on with the journey in front of them, the blight they had to face... It seemed like such a long time ago that he had believed himself to have little magic, and that was hardly in his control. And now, only two months later, he knew that he faced danger in the sea of nothing after all. The ancient magic he had, could it be stolen by this wasteland? He'd intended to go into the inn, but in his brain fog, he instead wandered into one of the houses. Before he realized, he called out "Excuse me, I was looking for someone who knows more about the wasteland bordering this town?"

"Hmmm?" Asami idly followed after Bladen, Yui keeping in step with her, not wanting to wander off on her own in an unknown town.

Asami moves to 12,11, Yui moves to 13,11

"Oh, hey there!" One of the town's soldiers waves towards Bladen as he poked his head in, coming over to meet the fallen. "You must be with the king. Haven't had this many folk stopping by Border in a long time... Name's Phil, how may I h-heeeelp...!"

It was at this point that Asami and Yui came into the young beast man's view. He straightened his back and shot his eyes up, saluting Bladen. "Ah! Y-Yes, sir! The wastes are an incredibly dangerous place to travel, make sure you are well stocked up on food, water, supplies, and your wagons are in tip top shape before departing!"

"Something fun in the sky, soldier boy?" Asami had immediately noticed how his gaze had shifted, amused, far from offended. "You can look at us... It's not a problem."

"I, er, uh, th-thank you for the permission, ma'am, but no thank you!"

"Hmhm... So cute. At least he looks like he knows things. Any other questions, Bladen?"

Yui simply sighed, feeling very sorry for the poor soldier.

The best part of the journey had finally come. The group had arrived at a town! Fighting has to happen of course, that's why they were there in the first place, but stopping at a retreat to unwind from all the bloodshed was a lot more fun, at least if you had to ask Gabriela. And what else to do in a moment of repose than to catch up with old friends?

Since she helped Marina, the siren kept wondering what had become of her. Is she strutting around with more confidence?

To find the answer to that question, Gabby strutted over to 6,12.

She waved once she got close enough. ''Hey there Rina!'' the siren waved as she shouted. ''What is going on with you?''

Bladen shook his head slightly, letting out a small sigh. "Sorry about that. She likes to tease. That being said, hmm... No, I don't think so beyond if there's something especially exciting in the town that we should make sure to stop by? We've been traveling a while now, so a distraction would be nice, you know?" The poor boy, he knew what a... difficulty Asami could be at times. But it didn't seem like the soldier knew much more beyond the basics that they'd already been warned about. Still, perhaps he would know some of what there was around town.

"Oh... Uhm. H-Hi, Gabriela." Tenna nervously waved at the siren, trying her best to be friendly with the monsters of the group. "I, uhm... I was hoping M-Marin, nnna, Xalrei and I co-could spend some, t-time together... uhm... If Marin-na wants to go with, you, though, th-that's fine too! I, just... Uhm. Yeah." She hadn't been expecting the siren to show up so quickly... It was already hard enough to get Marina and Xalrei this close to each other. If those plans fell through immediately... Well. She wouldn't be surprised.

"Oh! Well... Unless, you're looking to drink, sir, there isn't much here in Border. Uh. I guess there is an arena, even if the fighters change pretty often, since folk don't stick around here too long. You could try there!" Phil had managed to look down enough to talk to Bladen face to face, keeping his eyes locked onto the Fallen. Despite Asami's best attempts to keep teasing him, he was unflinching in keeping his eyes DIRECTLY ahead of him. "Uhhhh, here." Phil fetched a small pouch out of his armor, hanging it over to Bladen. "Little entry fee. Least I can do to help the folks that dealt with Ithraxl, yeah? News travels pretty fast. Thank you all so much for the good you did for Vaia!"

"Wow, what a good boy~"

A quiet whine followed her words, even if his expression didn't change.

Bladen gains 450 gold!

"Hmm, yeah, I think I will need to try that arena out. Especially since you've been so generous to me. A chance to fight against some strong fighters and to honor a gift given, how can I say no?" He shook his head at Asami, sighing quietly. "And here, how about this? After I visit the arena, I'll come find you and buy you a drink as thanks. Alright?" He owed the poor wolf after the way Asami was acting, much less for the gift of money.

Lucille took a deep breath. The days leading up to this had been eventful to say the least. She was still tensing and untensing her arm. It was still surreal, but that was something she'd get used to. A new town on the other hand, was something she was sure she'd never get used to. While still in Vaian territory, there shouldn't have been anything wrong with using her regular name, but once in Hwein, she'd have to use an alias. So starting now would be for the best, she already had the hair. She quickly looked around searching for that distinguishing green robe. Ah, there he was, fortunately, she didn't have to look hard. "Oh, Seilan! Over here!" She was quite a bit more comfortable talking with Seilan now. A lot more. He would have a much, much better idea of what to do, and she much prefer to be with someone than alone. And Seilan was by far her preferred choice. 

"Umm... Would you like to fly with me and Villkiss? I... really don't know what I'm going to do here, and... I'm not sure I should be by myself... so... Villkiss can get us wherever you need to go." Lucille's head popped up, "Oh, also... Another reason why is... remember when you I was... recruited and you guys mentioned an alias? I was hoping you could help me get used to it. It shouldn't matter too much here... but I want to be ready for Hwein. So... I'll be going by Angelise, alright?" 

When they had arrived in the boarder town Ayane took a moment to keep an eye on specific members of the army, specifically a certain assassin that promised to keep her hands to herself. Even though she said it was none of her business Ayane couldn't help but show some concern for the poor priestess. Mae's first impression only added to her list of endless troubles, but thankfully she had her inner circle to keep her mind off of her issues. Speaking of which...

"Ari, Shizuka." She turned to them both. "I have a few things I wanted to do while we were here. I wanted to view the swords at the armory for one, and I also wanted to test my might at the arena." Even though she was in control of herself these days she still had to keep an eye on her aching blood from time to time, in a sense the arena was almost a form of therapy for the girl. "You can both accompany me if you wish, I certainly wouldn't mind but if you had other things...I won't stop you." She mostly eyed Ari when she stated that. No offense to her precious maid but the tan woman had a way with the Oni. 'Ugh...why can I just ask her to spend time with me...?'

"Oh, sure! I wouldn't mind a drink... So, so long as it's just, us," Phil meekly replied, almost stealing another glance at Asami, but the conversation was over, so he managed to salute again and slink back into his house before anything could go wrong.

"The mental fortitude on that man is strong. How interesting~"

"Asami," Yui chided, "you've already got enough of a toy to play with."

Asami shook her head, clicking her tongue. "Bladen isn't a toy. He's a partner~ That unfortunate dog, Phil, now he's a toy~"

Ariana tilted her head at Ayane's statement, ears twitching slightly. "No, I had no plans to do anything. If you wish to look at weaponry, and then test your strength, I see nothing wrong in myself doing the same... Are you simply being courteous, or did you want to spend time alone, Ayane?" A smirk, Ariana rested a palm on the hilt of her sword, leaning back some. "You don't have to be so shy around me... Even if it's quite charming. If you're just being honest, I'd love to see how well I fare in the arena as well... I haven't had the chance to test my skills for sport, in quite some time."

"Asami, please. Leave the poor boy alone, he was clearly trying hard. He's not a toy. Unless of course, you'd rather have a toy than a partner?" Bladen raised an eyebrow at Asami. Letting out a half laugh, he shook his head, contemplating his next move. "Hmm... If I'm to fight in the arena... Well, who knows who I'll have to face, so I'm better off making sure I'm prepared. Which means I'll want a shield... Had my other one stolen from me last battle... I think I saw Gabriela with one after the last battle. I suspect she would loan it to me if I asked nicely, what do you think? It's either that or try and buy one from here, if they even have any for sale..."

Border, huh? Nisha felt like it hadn't been all that long ago that she had come through here in the other direction. Musing for a moment... what would she have thought then, if someone told her she would be a part of the entourage of Vaia's King? She would have laughed them off, surely. But that was how things had worked out, at any rate. She would need to swing by the armoury to restock and see what Renald had on special... the wraith hadn't been able to afford any of the good stuff last time past basic gear, but her purse was relatively flush with coin this time... 

Still, she had a bit of time, and not a whole lot of town to cover. May as well see if there was anything or anyone useful about along the way.

Nisha to 6,13, Knock Knock

_____

Finally, a chance to stretch her wings. They wouldn't be in Border overly long, but it didn't hurt to check in with the townsfolk. She hadn't crossed through the wastes in... decades, it must have been. If they were as draining as she remembered... well, maybe the locals had some helpful advice. Approaching a nearby abode, she gave the door a gentle rap.

"Any chance one might get some advice on the travel through here? It has been ever so long, since I've been..."

Nessraya to 4,13, check with the locals

Edited by Ether

An undead answered the door that Nisha knocked on, taking a moment to stare down at her... before scowling. "You. The vagabond... Hm. What can I assist you with?" He was dressed as one of the soldiers of Border, though he seemed to be on a break. "I'm off duty... But if there is some emergency, so long as you didn't start it, I shall do what I can to assist." He wasn't taking well to Nisha, for several reasons. The small commotion she'd started at one of the bars when she'd passed through, being one of them... And the other being her half, undead status. It rubbed him the wrong way.

Amera moves to 3,12
Suki moves to 4,12

"Hello, yes, how can I help-- G-General, Nessraya!" A flustered merman nearly fell on the spot, having answered the door to the general herself. He quickly shut it, the sound of a splash heard from behind it, opening it again to much wetter gills. "H-Hello. Er. Advice, for crossing the wastes? You, are here with the King, then?" News did travel fast, after all... "Ahem, erm... I am, kn-knight captain Hermian, assigned head of Border's platoon... As, for crossing the wastes, I assume you mean to get to Hwein, yes? Then, best for you to be well prepared in food, water, even perhaps some mana supplements should you feel the need... One can feel their very essence being sapped away out there, after all." He's slowly regained his composure, his gills slowly calming down their rampant breathing against his blue skin. "I assume you have sufficient carriages ready, yes? Wagons, at least? The building just south of my logging will gladly rent them out to you, should you need them."

Amera was watching the interaction with a bit of a building giggle. It was always just a little amusing to see the fishfolk blubber and gasp like they did. She was surprised to see one here, though, so far from natural water. Maybe he had a big bath, or a pool built into his abode?

"Oh! Oh oh oh!" Suki raised her hand, the merman glancing at her confused.

"Y-Yes... Miss?"

"Uhm! Where good, for train, here?"

"T-Training? Er... Th-The arena, I suppose. Though, I couldn't tell you the lineup of fighters. It changes every few days."

"We go? Amera, Nessraya?" While Suki was wide eyed at the both of them, Hermian slipped back into his house for a single moment, holding out a small, enscribed disc to Nessraya.

"Ahem, uhm, here, General. A light rune. I don't know exactly what you'll all be doing in Hwein, but, I'm sure it'll come in handy. Strategy and placement are important parts of a battle, after all. You know that better than anyone."

Nessraya gains a light rune!

"My my, news of us reached even here so quickly, did it? I do believe that the King went to procure additional wagons for the convoy, but I will make sure that our stores are well stocked before departure... mana supplements, hmm? I wouldn't have thought of such a thing, that is why it helps to consult the locals... would you know where I might be able to procure such a thing, Captain Hermian?" Nessraya further inquired, accepting the man's gift with a small bow as he offered it.

"I thank you very much for your kind gesture... hopefully I don't find need to use it, but these sorts of things are always good to have in a bind. It is as you say, and in the right spot, this rune is as good as an additional man, if not better." Nessraya added, looking over the dormant rune as she spoke. Turning to Suki as the wolf enthusiastically went on about the arena, she gave the swordfighter an affirmative nod... it couldn't hurt to at least give it a look, after all.

_______

"Oh, Frederick. No, no emergency. The group I joined up with is going back through to Hwein, and I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the last bit of civilization until we land... besides, like I told you before, I wouldn't have swung at that guy if he wasn't so... skeezy. Everyone at that bar had my side in this and you know it... feels like you're just holding a grudge." Nisha noted with a bit of a pout. Punch out one drunk asshole at the local watering hole and suddenly you're a town celebrity...

"The vendor should have some. Free of charge for your group, of course... I do hope for your safe travels, General." With things seemingly finished, Hermian gave a salute, before closing his door.

"Yay! Arena! Train!" Suki was beyond excited, bouncing in place, jumping a little bit, giggly and excited.

"Ah, geez... You really are such a dog." A sigh left Amera, placing a hand on Suki's head, trying to calm her down. The wolf was responsive, enjoying the pets, tail still wagging madly. Her happiness wouldn't be shut up entirely.

Frederick sighed. "Yes, well... That's how you see it, anyway." A few had taken her side in the moment, but several others had reported it going a different way after he'd started reports. "The group, you joined up with... You're genuinely working for the king?" He couldn't help a smirk, turning back into his house for a moment. "Here, then, Nisha." An axe handle was thrust her way, the undead not bothering to comment further. "If you're going to be helping our liege... My thoughts on you matter not. Keep them safe... Yes?"

Nisha acquires a Quick Axe!

"The vendor it is then, thank you Captain." Nessraya noted, returning the man's salute before turning back to the duo that had accompanied her.

"I don't know if I'll ever get used to the shocked reactions when I meet people... quite the thing, that. I don't mind swinging by the arena for Suki's sake, and it would do us well to see what the local vendor can provide us for our travels... have you any thoughts, Amera?"

___

"That's how it went down, I'm telling you. Probably had buddies around to vouch for him or something." Nisha shrugged, although Frederick's tune seemed to change fairly quickly. Ah, so he knew that this group was working for the King. That would explain the sudden shift, at least.

"Yeah, I am. I joined up with General Tryxyss company in Tepel, and, well... things sort of went from there." Nisha explained... although the sudden gift caught her off guard, the surprise delaying her acceptance of the axe handle for a few moments. While him seeing her in a more accepting light made sense, she hadn't expected him to give her anything.

"That's the plan. This is a good group... I don't intend on screwing this up. And hey... you'd better be ready to revise those thoughts, Frederick. I'm already a proper siege veteran now, you know. By the next time you hear of me, I just might be some kind of war hero." Nisha grinned, tapping her foot on the ground, just a bit sheepishly.

"Thanks for this. They really are good people, so... even if this probably isn't because you've secretly got faith in me, or whatever... I still don't intend to let you down, you hear me?"

"You're famous. Time to start getting used to it, Nessraya~" Amera sighed, smiling just a little... It was nice to talk with her, but... "Ah, the arena, though. I think it, might be a good idea for Suki. Get her some more experience fighting against people... She's just used to training a lot, rather than actual combat."

"I, I handle real fight! I show you... Mrrhhhh." Suki growled quietly, though calmed down as Amera kept petting, almost forgetting the the comments.

"Mmm, I'm sure you do... The vendor is a good idea, yeah. You want us to go with you, or should I take this dummy over to the arena while you go there?"

"... I'll be honest, Nisha. That you're a half-wraith definitely rubbed me the wrong way... But, that was just the human in you. Those thoughts are dangerous, aren't they? That's why Ithraxl was taken down. So... If you're good enough for the general, and the king, who am I to claim otherwise?" He shrugged, leaning against the door frame. "I hope the next time you pass by Border... On your way back from all kinds of successful adventures, you've got time to stop by the tavern again. Maybe we share a drink... Not that it'll do much for me, hmhm."

Marina was got off guard by Gabi's sudden entrance. "Hey Gabi, I uh--" To her surprised, Tenna had cut off Marina in her nervous pause. In reality, she did tell Gabriela they'd find a clothing place for her to get her newly dressed up. But... This would be the real first Marina had hung out with Tenna outside of her room. That's when an idea came up.

"H-Hey, actually, who said we all needed to just separate and do our own thing? What about like a... girl's day out or something?" This might be a perfect opportunity Marina to try and finally break the ice with Xalrei. Tenna and her seemed to be getting closer... maybe this was what they needed. 

Shizuka was giddy with joy. It had been so long since she'd been back with her Highness and now some time in town. She didn't know what to do, having basically no money, but being with Ayane made it all worth it.

It was odd however, seeing Ayane so fond of someone like she was of Ariana. Poor Shizuka couldn't compete with that. With a small, sad whimper she spoke up,

"I-If you'd like Your Highness, I can leave you two to scour the town by yourselves. I'll be okay," and she gave a smile. 

"I don't know if I'll ever fully get used to this sort of thing, to be honest... well, I suppose there's nothing for it..." Nessraya mused, floating over to Amera and Suki. Joining her hand with Amera's atop the wolf's head, she gently added a bit more petting, opposite Amera. Amera seemed to have a bit of a jealous streak recently, perhaps it would be best to-

-placing her other hand on top of Amera's head, Nessraya gently scritched the cat Captain's favourite spot behind her ear. Equal opportunity petting, this seemed like the best course of action.

"Mmm... she seems restless to get started. Why don't you go ahead with her, and I'll catch up with you?"

_____

"It does for most people. Folk here hate the human in me, and humans hate the wraith. I didn't choose to be born like... this." Nisha scowled a bit, but her expression softened as Frederick continued. 

"Like I said, they're good people. As long as I do my job, they don't care what I am. I just... maybe working with them is enough of a foot in the door for people to take me seriously. Give me a chance to prove myself. I'm tired of being defined by parents who never gave a damn about me anyway." The wraith shook her head, a smile coming onto her face.

"I hope it won't effect you too much, do you know how hard it is to find someone who can hold their liquor?"

The words from the royal oni comforted Taiyou a big deal, but she was still stuck with an annoyingly fascinated oni glued on her. "Hm. Good luck, Ayane." Taiyou didn't have much to say, honestly, she found these southern towns fairly alien still, she couldn't tell an interesting place to go, turning he head idly to examine the buildings. Since most of the crew didn't struggle differentiating places, though, she kept that part to herself. "I guess I should explore a little as well." It was more comfortable to think of the wastes and preparing for that...

"So, what do you plan to do, Taliyah? It feels like we'll be here for a spell, so you should enjoy yourself." Agni made a point to check up on Taliyah every so often after she admitted to her negativity. In part to save her from her thoughts, and in part because talking to her was becoming comfy.

"There should be something interesting to buy, as a border town, so I've been thinking about checking the peddlers."

"O-Oh... I... Well, if, if Gabriela is fine with, with us tagging along... Wh-What do you think, Xalrei?" Tenna nervously glanced over at the dragon, who couldn't have been happy about Marina, now they were contending with Gabriela? Hopefully this didn't blow up before it even started...

"O-Oi, I know I explained things to her, but-- Mhrrhhn!?" Amera hadn't been expecting to get pet all of a sudden, a blush casting itself over her face, looking away for a moment. "I-I'll, I'll take her then, geez... You're not smooth, you know?" Amera huffed, but she'd appreciated the gesture, pulling herself away from the petting hand and starting to drag Suki off, the wolf whining immediately.

"M-My pets..."

"When you deal with undead, everyone holds their liquor too well... Even you. Go get 'em, Nisha." One final sigh, Frederick closed his door. Perhaps it wouldn't be impossible for the monsters of Vaia to deal with humans after all... One half-breed at a time.

"Mmmm, hmhmhm... Going back through the wastes will be rather interesting~" Mae had hitched a ride on a passing caravan to make it to Vaia, not having paid much attention to the desolate land, her mind preoccupied with thoughts of a certain black haired woman. "What shall we go looking into, Taiyou? I'd be happy to carry your bags for you~"

This was Border, then... Taliyah had been nervously looking around ever since they'd arrived. No one had called her out for it, but news traveled fast; she was sure the soldiers here already knew about Ithraxl's passing... Or maybe even knew who she was.

"Hyah!"

Which was why Agni's question made her jump, glancing nervously over at him. It didn't help that it was Agni asking it, she'd been avoiding him since they left the fort... "Mmmh... Ch-Checking the shops seems, like a g-good idea... I don't need any more, clothes, but... A weapon or, something. Little trinket... Wh-What about you?"