Super Mario Maker 2 Thread

Randoman

With Super Mario Maker 2 being released, I figured I should make a thread for it and sharing level IDs for levels that we make.

Here are my first two levels:

This Level Teaches Mario Basics: YK2-YFC-RFF

The Confusing Cave Climb: W25-LR5-Y0H

Also, I should probably tell you guys this before you find out the hard way: if you want to increase the likelihood of your levels being played, build them around multiplayer and give them the Multiplayer Tag.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like before I'm sure many players will do a lot of interesting things with the game. I don't think I'll be buying it. The lack of amibo costumes is a real deal breaker for me. Making custom stages like a coin ship for Wario or a haunted temple for Palutena were part of the charm which is now lost. 

Here’s some of my stages based on my old stages of the first game:

Deadly Rain: M8L-0J1-PGB

Underwater Tunnel: CVH-1VB-RGF

Loving the game so far!

Edited by Water Mage

Love Mario Maker. Intend to put some levels online. 2 are already done.

@Randoman, I played your levels I liked the Confusing Cave Climb. If you know what you do it was still fair and possible to do from first try. I always find the balancing difficult because to me some things feel so easy and others struggle with it.

About VS levels and upload. This is the point I have my gripes with the game and hope for an improvement. I made a coop level out of fun. And it still is impossible to make the most of it. So you can make VS levels, which need to be done alone anyway. But Coop levels are just so bad managet that its kind of frustrating if you try to give a shot at such a level and force players to work together. Because you have to do a backdoor and there are not many ways to play these with friends. especially online. Which will be updated. But for now. A bit sad...

@Etrurian emperor, yeah it is kind of a shame. But at least I think some levels can be done more authentic. I might challenge myself to pick a DKC1 or 2 level and try to rebuild it as much as possible.

I will check other levels soon.

Also have 2 Levels in the pipe.

Cosmic Light Tower: 7QL-3GV-4WG. This is an autoscroll level. And I am still paranoid and think auto scroll level have it difficult to be found. While its not up for that long time not even one played it. xD Here I'd like to have feedback if I have overseen something. 

Crane Snow Mountain: 1P3-WXD-DTG. I think this one is really solid, works much around with cranes. I love them, maybe a bit too much I need to be careful that I don't use them in all levels...

Edited by Stroud

I got three courses that I created that I wanted to share it out. I got the game from GameStop at 9 PM at the 27th.

World 1-1 4th of July Remix (Super Mario Bros.) ID: L27-0QM-GXG
Goomba Run Over Car ID: 20D-KBP-M9G
StarTropics Mobile App ID: FMR-KMW-NTF

Edited by King Marth 64

Here's 2 more levels that I made:

Cooperation is the Key: F1G-RJX-HLG  (don't worry, it's very much doable solo, but it's much quicker with allies)

Wall Jump Jamboree: CG3-DT4-QBG

I'll do my best to follow and try out the levels of fellow SF Members.

12 hours ago, Stroud said:

@Randoman, I played your levels I liked the Confusing Cave Climb. If you know what you do it was still fair and possible to do from first try. I always find the balancing difficult because to me some things feel so easy and others struggle with it.

About VS levels and upload. This is the point I have my gripes with the game and hope for an improvement. I made a coop level out of fun. And it still is impossible to make the most of it. So you can make VS levels, which need to be done alone anyway. But Coop levels are just so bad managet that its kind of frustrating if you try to give a shot at such a level and force players to work together. Because you have to do a backdoor and there are not many ways to play these with friends. especially online. Which will be updated. But for now. A bit sad...

Thanks for the feedback. I try really hard to make sure my levels are fair and that people can't permanently get themselves stuck or trapped. Though I will admit, my Wall Jump Jamboree level was hard to make fair, due to it being a vertical level and it being hard to see obstacles from above.

I find difficulty balancing tricky as well. I thought for sure that my Confusing Cave Climb would've gotten at least a 20% clear rate, and I thought there was enough mushroom spawning pipes to put it above a 20% clear rate.

I'm also finding multiplayer levels difficult to design, especially in terms of accounting for all the different mechanics and rules between single and multiplayer (eg: room for multiple characters, respawning mechanics). The only way I'm able to get a feel for multiplayer is through online matches and my previous experiences in the console New Super Mario Bros. games (back when my siblings would frequently join me for multiplayer games). For my Cooperation is the Key level, I tried implementing a lot of "gates" that forced cooperation to an extent. The gates consist of Giant Bob-ombs near rotating blocks and gray blocks, which free the way for everyone once the Bob-omb blows up. I definitely look forward to playing any co-op levels you or other SF members make, even if I'm playing them solo. I want to see what interesting co-op obstacles people come up with in Super Mario Maker 2.

Sure, I'll give this a shot. I've got these three levels thus far:

3JN-7FK-R3G

Defeat the Magikoopa Squad

This one's a quickie. You get one minute to climb up the tower and take down the four Kameks. It should be decently challenging, I think. There's a 1-UP reward for the faster players.

RVX-CM6-KDF

Just an ordinary 3D World course

I had no idea what name to give this one. It's just a course that takes advantage of some of 3D World's exclusive features. My hardest level, but I believe I was fair with the checkpoints.

FFJ-H7K-PVF

Koopa Base Infiltration

This is more of a themed level. You were just chilling in your backyard, when suddenly, koopas began raining from the sky! Get to their hidden base at the nearby mountain and find their leader, Bowser. It shouldn't be so hard, but I think it'll be fun enough. It has a boss fight at the end, too.

I'll try out the levels I'm seeing around the thread, and get back to you with some thoughts. See ya later!

EDIT: All right, my opinions on the levels I played. I'm not the best Mario player, but I figured I'd let you know:

@Randoman I liked your levels. They aren't the most challenging levels I've played, mainly because you put mushrooms all over the place, but they were fun. My favourite was the wall jumping level. The co-op level's a good idea, but there's nothing more to it, sadly. It feels more like a proof of concept. Still, I can see that idea making for a really cool level, mixed with other mechanics.

@Stroud Loved your levels. The auto-scroller's very good, and with all the alternative paths, I found myself replaying it right off the bat. The car level (which you didn't post here) is actually really challenging if you're trying to stay out of the water (either that or I'm bad, heheh). I actually downloaded the latter, I want to see if I can beat it without ever falling into the water. As for the crane level, it was neat. It required some thought, which I like. Good job overall, keep at it.

@Water Mage Not bad. Please take no offense, but the design's overall a little sloppy. For example, Deadly Rain's a good idea on paper, but the chain chomp spam doesn't really work if you just rush forward. Still, you've got potential. The levels were fun enough, even despite their flaws, and you have some good ideas. Keep at it, I'd say.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

@Water Mage Not bad. Please take no offense, but the design's overall a little sloppy. For example, Deadly Rain's a good idea on paper, but the chain chomp spam doesn't really work if you just rush forward. Still, you've got potential. The levels were fun enough, even despite their flaws, and you have some good ideas. Keep at it, I'd say.

Nah don’t worry. I welcome the criticism, and to be honest, I also thought I was being sloppy. 

I’m gonna try your stages too!

On 6/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, Randoman said:

Also, I should probably tell you guys this before you find out the hard way: if you want to increase the likelihood of your levels being played, build them around multiplayer and give them the Multiplayer Tag.

Or you could just submit them to Twitch streamers, which is a hell of a lot easier.

Anyway, I went ahead and made a basic level: 61Q-QJ1-70H

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Try my new stages:

Snowboard Hill: HQL-4JF-5XF

Crates swimming in lava: YMW-FT0-0YG

The first one is kinda sloppy, but I’m proud of the lava one! It’s based around the new power up so it’s a bit of a spoiler for story mode!

I managed to upload three new courses, the first two are sequel courses from the first Super Mario Maker server that I created years ago. The third one is a recreation course based off from Stage 1 Dinner of Flames from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. (the one that Richter Belmont is in)

Find a way to beat Time! 4 ID: TT9-SVH-CNF

Two Screens Pink Coins Finding 3 ID: 191-YGC-5PG

Dinner of Flames (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) ID: 113-VTV-PJF

Edited by King Marth 64

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:07 AM, Water Mage said:

Crates swimming in lava: YMW-FT0-0YG

That was interesting, its such an idea which not came to me. xD At first I did not know much what to do with the Power Up. But this gives me some ideas.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

I had no idea what name to give this one. It's just a course that takes advantage of some of 3D World's exclusive features. My hardest level, but I believe I was fair with the checkpoints.

Took me a few tries. Overall it was beatable thanks to the Checkpoints. I see that you tend to make more difficult levels. I often think that its more difficult to get likes with difficult levels unless they are known by the kind of players which are able to beat them. Or if these levels are made out in a real surprising way. After playing countless of times Super Expert I tend to skip almost every level I see as a threat. Which is why I liked the Kamek level the most it was the easiest I think and I always like level with themes.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

Anyway, I went ahead and made a basic level: PCR-DCW-9NG

Also played this one, I really liked this. Was a thought out level design which gives more than one way to play it. 

15 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Dinner of Flames (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) ID: 113-VTV-PJF

This one was really cool. I often think about doing levels from other games. Like DK but Castlevania came not to me. Was also fair for me. The other 2. I am often not a big fan of maze Levels. So I can't say much about it.

@Randoman, played your multiplayer level and can say this is an interesting way. Maybe I should have thought more along this path by creating my own (Which I did not upload yet). Problem with mine is just that it needs to be skipped if one plays single and I am kind of unhappy with this. Overall I wish we could force our levels to be locked from certain modes. I played a Coop Level which was a Pipe into a rising Lava level. It was unplayable but hilarious. xD

And I agree, I often struggle to find the right difficulty. I see myself as quite a good player. And there are just some things I can almost do in sleep and think: that should be about possible for everyone. Like my Krockhead Klamber level which I made. I thought that I was quite friendly with making all enemies to jump on big. (Outside of one which is optionally). Well maybe I should have made some arrows and also I don't know anymore if my bonus level was smart trying to lock Yoshi only into that bonus level.. 

In some levels I even use pipes to replenish Powerups and Yoshi's because I often dislike it myself if I am "locked" into a Bowser fight with just 1-3 Fire Flowers. 

Also took me a while to answer now, I was so focused on doing a 10 streak in super expert and finally did it. This is so tedious and I think I can be more relaxed about these kind of levels. Most of the Time I just hit the skip button. Which kind of beats it, but with just 30 lives and knowing that some levels are Trial and Error I tried just feared those. Don't know if it was such a good idea to make it like this. And some people say there may be something with a 100 streak for custom. But honestly, I don't want to believe it. I can only imagine like 10 people being able to endure this ordeal. Someone like Ryukahr maybe, but I guess even those would have to hit the skip button for this countless times. And I don't know how I would feel about it if a run would end at like 70 levels.

At least my reflex on skip was so good xD. Thwomp over me? Skip. 10 Seconds.. Skip.. while I would play Speedrun levels more I would not do them in Super Expert. Because I know they can take lives really fast.. Even if they are just 10 seconds.

24 minutes ago, Stroud said:

That was interesting, its such an idea which not came to me. xD At first I did not know much what to do with the Power Up. But this gives me some ideas.

The new Power Up is really interesting isn’t it? The crate building has a lot of potential for stages. And here’s a hint: The hammer can kill Lava Bubbles both types of fish in the stage.

I managed to make three more courses. The two are originals and the third one is a recreation of Crypt 1 from Neutopia from the Turbografx-16.

Claw Castle Sky ID: F3R-5KB-GKG

GameXplain’s Warehouse Mobile App ID: Q7C-9QX-YWF

Crypt 1 (Neutopia) ID: BFW-85T-4SF

Edit in July 8th: I managed to upload a tenth course which it's a sequel course of "Survival Dash through Thwomps" in Super Mario Maker.

Survival Dash through Thwomps 2 ID: XV1-2W3-D9G

Edit in July 10th: I managed to create a eleventh course based off from the recent announced Nintendo Switch Lite consoles.

Nintendo Switch Lite ID: G7W-4JL-Q5G

Edited by King Marth 64
2nd Updating

• 2 weeks later...

I have three new courses uploaded:

Progressive Power-up Panic - CTW-7NQ-HDF, Big Mario's Multiplayer Desert - PNV-HM7-9SF and Progressive Propeller Panic - MRJ-YMT-KMF.

I managed to upload two courses in Super Mario Maker 2. I have about a total of 13 uploaded courses as of right now.

Survive the Thwomps & On/Off Switches ID: 5QH-F0V-1GF

The Two Screens Challenges 2 ID: YG9-PFP-6PG

Edit in July 17th: I just uploaded a 14th course in SMM2. This is a sequel course to the first Survival Dash through Bob-ombs in SMM1.

Survival Dash through Bob-ombs 2 ID: Y88-SSL-53G

Edit in July 17th: I just uploaded a 15th course in SMM2. This is a recreation course of Donkey Kong Jr. that has all the four levels from the game.

Donkey Kong Jr. ID: KV2-WBN-GGF

Edited by King Marth 64
2nd Updating

Having played some of these levels, here are my thoughts: 

First of all, I have the general complaint that not many of you are putting three 1-ups for the Endless players.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, Randoman said:

This Level Teaches Mario Basics: YK2-YFC-RFF

The Confusing Cave Climb: W25-LR5-Y0H

It's was nice of you to make a level teaching newer players the basics, so you can have a like for that. Your other level was okay, but not much better than that.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, Water Mage said:

Deadly Rain: M8L-0J1-PGB

Underwater Tunnel: CVH-1VB-RGF

Having Lakitu's spam Chomps is terrible, and spamming Cheeps is why most people don't like underwater stages. Boo'd them both.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:44 PM, Stroud said:

Cosmic Light Tower: 7QL-3GV-4WG.

Crane Snow Mountain: 1P3-WXD-DTG.

Both of these were fun, and got a Like from me.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, King Marth 64 said:

World 1-1 4th of July Remix (Super Mario Bros.) ID: L27-0QM-GXG

StarTropics Mobile App ID: FMR-KMW-NTF

It's World 1-1 of SMB that plague Endless Easy, just with fireworks. Also your StarTropics level is essentially the same as your GameXplain one.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:33 AM, Randoman said:

Cooperation is the Key: F1G-RJX-HLG  (don't worry, it's very much doable solo, but it's much quicker with allies)

Wall Jump Jamboree: CG3-DT4-QBG

Your co-op level was fun even in single-player, but your Wall Jump level wasn't all that great. It's just a standard wall jump level that I doubt would be even fun in versus.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

3JN-7FK-R3G Defeat the Magikoopa Squad

FFJ-H7K-PVF Koopa Base Infiltration

Your first course was fine, but there's a softlock at the end of the sub-world if you're powered up, which meant I couldn't give it a like. Your second was truly horrendous, giving that it's pitch black with pits and obstacles and truly deserving of the Boo I gave it.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:07 AM, Water Mage said:

Snowboard Hill: HQL-4JF-5XF

Using the Audience SFX to hide the munchers/pit is a dick move, and so deserves a Boo in my book.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:19 AM, Randoman said:

The Chaos Carnival: 3BT-KS5-BQF

Attack Above or Break-In Below?: LR0-YHM-68G

Your Carnival of Chaos was fun and earned a Like from me. Your other level was tedious as hell. Bob-omb excavation levels are not fun, even less so if they are SMB1 levels, which this is.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:28 PM, King Marth 64 said:

GameXplain’s Warehouse Mobile App ID: Q7C-9QX-YWF

Crypt 1 (Neutopia) ID: BFW-85T-4SF

Nintendo Switch Lite ID: G7W-4JL-Q5G

Your Crypt 1 level is the worst level I've played so far, there is no indication of where to go or what to do,  and there's at least two softlocks in the level. The Switch Lite was okay, but I didn't feel that it was worthy of a Like.

12 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's World 1-1 of SMB that plague Endless Easy, just with fireworks. Also your StarTropics level is essentially the same as your GameXplain one.

Your Crypt 1 level is the worst level I've played so far, there is no indication of where to go or what to do,  and there's at least two softlocks in the level. The Switch Lite was okay, but I didn't feel that it was worthy of a Like.

The World 1-1 4th of July Remix (Super Mario Bros.) was created during at before launch day and plus, it was for 4th of July which it's an American holiday as well. StarTropics Mobile App course was actually created before the GameXplain Warehouse Mobile App, the two course suppose to be feel like it's a mobile app game played on an Android Samsung Phone, I did used the some of the stuff from my previous Mobile App courses in SMM1. And also, the Crypt 1 (Neutopia) course is a recreation course from the actual Crypt 1 from Neutopia in the TurboGrafx-16 which it's a Zelda clone, I was doing the best that I can recreating it by looking at the map.

Edited by King Marth 64