List those FE tropes.

Fennel

I have grown to enjoy the recycling of common themes throughout the FE series, tropes reused sometimes with a slightly different angle in every new game.  With Three Houses coming up soon, help me list out all those traditional themes to look out for in the new game.

I’ll start off within a spoiler, just in case...

Spoiler
  1. A cartoonish villain who leads an evil empire to assault neighboring good kingdoms unprovoked and for no good reason except to give the would be heroes the moral justification for righteous retaliation.
  2. Said villain turns out to be mind controlled by a trapped ancient race of dragons driven mad with power.
  3. Said ancient dragons suggest justification because they were abused first by humans.
  4. A young dragon maiden sleeps, except when she’s not.
  5. A sword wielding champion leads army to save the world.
  6. Said champion receives a boon outstanding from any others without laboring for it.  The champion is simply destined for greatness from onset.
  7. The champion receives powerful artifact further establishing awesomeness from a holy maiden.
  8. Holy maiden suffers tragedy after imparting artifact to champion.
  9. Champion is made to feel terrible when confronting ultimate evil.  Perhaps the dragons weren’t so bad, but who cares?  It’s Endgame and am ready to finish this already.
  10. Champion resets Endgame as beloved allies die all around from unforseen mechanics engaged only in Endgame.
  11. Champion saves allies by figuring strategy to defeat evil in a single turn.
  12. Said strategy revolves pivotal upon a dancer.
  13. Champion becomes regent showers in glory as dancer is forgotten.
  14. Alternatively, Champion marries dancer and all is right with the world.
  15. Champion realizes all is not right with the world and the true ending requires another playthrough. 

I know there’s plenty more! 🙂  Help me out and with Three Houses out we’ll see what shape the tropes take on this time.

Little good guy country seeks help from big good country to defeat big evil country. But oh no! It turns out the big good country is actual an evil country too and will also oppose the little good guy country. 

The obvious example would be Archenea, Etruria and Begnion all turning out to be hopelessly corrupt and evil not long after the heroes seek their help. 

1 hour ago, Rioma said:

Said ancient dragons suggest justification because they were abused first by humans.

That actually happens rarer than one might think. Only really Medeus and Anankos claim to take over the world because humans were mean to them and even Medeus never actually says this himself.

Jahn is remarkably chill about humanity kicking out all the dragons, Idunn doesn't really care and Grima and Loptyr hate humans because they deem them ants rather than because humans were mean to them. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Grima and Loptyr hate humans because they deem them ants rather than because humans were mean to them. 

Well with the new backstory for Grima in SoV, we can imply that his creators may have started to annoy him? I think he's the only instance of the "big evil dragon" being created by humans. Comparable to Mewtwo I suppose. But it can also go in the way that he thinks they're ants. He was above them, they may have brought him into the world, but he wasn't going to rely on them forever, he had an ego, and with his power they should be bowing down to him.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Little good guy country seeks help from big good country to defeat big evil country. But oh no! It turns out the big good country is actual an evil country too and will also oppose the little good guy country. 

The obvious example would be Archenea, Etruria and Begnion all turning out to be hopelessly corrupt and evil not long after the heroes seek their help.

Since when did Begnion oppose Crimea? In Path of Radiance Begnion did nothing of the sort, and in Radiant Dawn they wanted to wipe out the Gallia-Phoenicis army, not Crimea.

7 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Since when did Begnion oppose Crimea? In Path of Radiance Begnion did nothing of the sort, and in Radiant Dawn they wanted to wipe out the Gallia-Phoenicis army, not Crimea.

I'd argue that looting their towns and trying to kill their queen counts as some manner of opposition. And they still find themselves on the obvious wrong side of the conflict as opposed to Crimea's obvious good side.

- One or more of the main characters have dead parents/family members

- Recurring character archetypes

- Protagonist seeks aid from good dragon to defeat dark dragon

- Protagonist wields a magical dragon-slaying sword

- One of the main characters tries to sacrifice themselves for the greater good

- A character close to the protagonist sacrifices themselves

- The lord has a "What have I been fighting for?!" moment after the death of someone they care about

- One of the lord's advisors tells them "An act of kindness is going to get you killed."

- The main character is sheltered, so they have one or more exposition bots follow them around and explain stuff to them

- Hot busty dark mage villain

- Main character's father was the secondary antagonist all along

- The early chapters mainly consist of fighting bandits

- A manipulative, cowardly, spineless villain serves as another villain's lackey

- Someone gets possessed

- There are a number of dei ex machina throughout the story

- The prologue foreshadows pivotal events in the story

- Scorned villain returns to challenge the protagonist one last time in the penultimate chapter

- Mistakes and betrayals are resolved within one chapter

(I've only played the 3DS games so I don't know how true these are for the series as a whole.)

-Recurring character archetypes.

THIS... very much this.  I wonder which lady in Three Houses will go out of her way to “Talk” to multiple enemies in the middle of a gruesome battlefield with a conversation that goes in some form of:

”Wait!! Why are we fighting?!  Let’s be friends!”

”I KEEL UUU!!”

”If you must... Then go ahead and slay me!”

”Oh wow, u so crazy... ok, I don’t keel.  We bff now. <3”