NoA showcasing FE:TH houses and their leaders in the weeks leading up to Three Houses’ release

5 hours ago, Lynsanity said:

I like the 4th wall break of "As their professor, you must lead your students in their academic lives... and in TURN-BASED TACTICAL COMBAT"

Dimitri is THE nerdiest so it fits

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, redlight said:

Justice seems to be a theme for the young prince. Curious as whether or not his sense of justice will become deluded or he will remain adamant with a tinge of bluntness

They might do a Harvey Dent (like in the Dark Knight) thing where he starts as a moral paragon for justice but when the systems in place still make innocents suffer, he decides to tear them all down.

I love Dimitri's voice, whoever it is. Sounds like the perfect mix of nerdy and endearing. I think it's fitting.

Can't wait for Golden Deer's video. Probably next week.

Dmitri does sound like Yuri Lowenthral for this, but could the "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM?" from the other trailer really be Yuri's voice? I don't know.

Maybe that wasn't a final VA, maybe Yuri has a greater range than I knew, maybe this is just a soundalike...

The more I listen to Dimitri the more I'm certain it's Yuri Lowenthal, but I do agree that he sounds slightly off. Sylvain's introduction and the first part of Ingrid's (the childhood friends part) especially sound like Yuri to me.

BUT THAT CRIT!!! I am loving how these animations are looking! Even before his timeskip Dimitri's already showing off his fancy lance twirls

1 hour ago, Coolmanio said:

LOOK AT THIS CRIT!

Yeah, but also, man this poll... can we call ourselves a community of strategists if we overwhelmingly go for "risk it all" when faced with a problem...?

Also I'm really curious what they'd have done if people actually chose to fled.

18 hours ago, Three Eyes said:

Dmitri does sound like Yuri Lowenthral for this, but could the "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM?" from the other trailer really be Yuri's voice? I don't know.

Maybe that wasn't a final VA, maybe Yuri has a greater range than I knew, maybe this is just a soundalike...

Yuri has done more than just soft-spoken nobles and bookish types.  He's even voiced characters like Lucius, one of the characters in Fallout: New Vegas who serve the cruel and unforgiving Caesar's Legion (notable for being one of the oldest living Legion members and also one of the most skilled unarmed combatants in the entire game).

That said, giving it a second-over Dimitri sounds off enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it was a soundalike.  Sort of like how Alexis Tipton has been used as a Laura Bailey soundalike to good effect.  Although sometimes Alexis Tipton sounds exactly like some of the characters Laura has voiced, such as Isara Gunther from Valkyria Chronicles - one of the only VC1 characters whose voice didn't get all weird.

38 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Yeah, but also, man this poll... can we call ourselves a community of strategists if we overwhelmingly go for "risk it all" when faced with a problem...?

1. I am all for gung ho tactics unless a map is frustrating and tedious, such as a vast majority of Fates: Revelation chapters.

2. Time manipulation is a thing, so you can better afford to throw caution to the wind.

3. The best defense is a good offense.

4. Look at that map...  There's maybe one other guy in range to attack Dimitri, and right next to Dimitri are a slew of allies ready to protect him; of course people will go for "risk it all" because it's actually not even a risk, lmao.

Honestly, I'm super risk-averse. If I reach a point where character HAS to dodge a hit or die, I kind of feel like I've made a mistake somewhere. Except in Lunatic, because half the time dodge or hit or die is your basic battle there.

1 hour ago, Onestep said:

Honestly, I'm super risk-averse. If I reach a point where character HAS to dodge a hit or die, I kind of feel like I've made a mistake somewhere. Except in Lunatic, because half the time dodge or hit or die is your basic battle there.

That's my position. In general, disregarding random crits, if my unit was in a position where RNG is the only thing standing between me and resetting the map, I was playing poorly.

Just now, NekoKnight said:

That's my position. In general, disregarding random crits, if my unit was in a position where RNG is the only thing standing between me and resetting the map, I was playing poorly.

Ultimately, it's an RNG based game. If your characters miss 3 70% hit chances that would have killed and the enemy lands 2 65% hits and kills a unit, then that's a royal pain in the ass. All you can do is play the numbers as much as reasonably possible. Sometimes, that's not enough.

I've never liked how in the FE series, crits are basically a death sentence. In a world where a lot of games actually have the crit multiplier toned down to 1.5x instead of the more typical 2x, Fire Emblem's 3x sticks out like a sore thumb. It's especially egregious because unlike other tactics-based squad games like XCOM and Jagged Alliance, you cannot engineer one-sided engagements due to the inevitability of melee-on-melee fights, so taking hits is essentially guaranteed.

I would wholeheartedly support any move to remove crits completely from the game. The specials system from Heroes is way more fun and engaging anyway, just copy that.

P.S. I'm a super-conservative player in most strategy games. I will take double, or even triple the time to complete a map by creeping around the edge of the map looking for a better angle of engagement. I will run away and turtle for a dozen turns to fully patch up my squad. And to me, the ideal engagement is one where the enemy does not get a turn, or even a swing at me because I've locked them down so completely.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I've never liked how in the FE series, crits are basically a death sentence. In a world where a lot of games actually have the crit multiplier toned down to 1.5x instead of the more typical 2x, Fire Emblem's 3x sticks out like a sore thumb. It's especially egregious because unlike other tactics-based squad games like XCOM and Jagged Alliance, you cannot engineer one-sided engagements due to the inevitability of melee-on-melee fights, so taking hits is essentially guaranteed. 

It is a bit problematic, I would agree, and it would probably be better if they lowered the damage output. That said, I do think the danger of critical hits (like enemies equipped with Killer weapons) adds an extra layer of depth to certain engagements, so I don't think critical hits should be removed entirely.

Crits are also more common/functionally attached to very low output unit types. (And honestly they should make that more of a thing. Because Pallys do not need crits to the degree of Snipers or Swordmasters.) So a 1.5 crit would mean a massive rework on Swordmasters for them to keep up.

They should just rework the likelihood of crits so high power units don't have nearly the access (and a Killing weapon means serious business when someone has it).

The Golden Deer video should be coming this Wednesday... we know we're getting Claude, but who do you think the other 3 characters will be?

5 hours ago, Corrobin said:

The Golden Deer video should be coming this Wednesday... we know we're getting Claude, but who do you think the other 3 characters will be?

Hilda, Lorenz & Marianne, though that's just my wish to see.

if they're going to balance noble/commoners in the video, then Leonie is more likely, along with Ignatz or Raphael.

6 hours ago, Corrobin said:

I'm guessing Hilda, Rapheal and Lorentz. They seem to make up the core team, at least in marketing.