NoA showcasing FE:TH houses and their leaders in the weeks leading up to Three Houses’ release

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

you wouldn't know about classes, gambits, crests, no weapon triangle, how skills work, how any of the monastery functions (including menial tasks or more important concepts such as venture gauge) the calendar would still be unexplained with the structure of one chapter/month, etc, etc.

Again, I don't see a casual player caring about MOST if any of those things. I'm talking from what I'm seeing here, I have a group of friends who are into FE, but don't keep up with everything about FE16, and I don't see them wondering at all about how gambits/skills/the calendar/crests and such would work. While it's true that those things are also game elements, but knowing about them isn't as essential as some people might think. It might be important for you and some other people here to know about those kind of things, but I don't think the people that even come to SF are the causal type for the most part anyway.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Remember that almost all of the Three Houses content on this site as well as >90% of discussion come from japanese reveals, that have been translated by fans

I never said this wasn't the case, and I know FE16 doesn't have the perfect marketing, but I also know that labeling it as a game with bad marketing for not getting info about things like skills/crests/calendar/bios to be a bit too much here.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Again, I don't see a casual player caring about MOST if any of those things. I'm talking from what I'm seeing here, I have a group of friends who are into FE, but don't keep up with everything about FE16, and I don't see them wondering at all about how gambits/skills/the calendar/crests and such would work. While it's true that those things are also game elements, but knowing about them isn't as essential as some people might think. It might be important for you and some other people here to know about those kind of things, but I don't think the people that even come to SF are the causal type for the most part anyway.

I can completely agree that gameplay elements aren't something most people actively wonder about first. I mean, after reading so many thoughts about Three Houses from so many places, I'd have to be blind to think differently. That being said, it's not the full story either, and they can actually be very receptive to mechanics, as long as they're properly introduced to them. But, that needs to happen first. That's why showcasing those can be a really good idea, on top of showing that your game has depth(ideally) and legs. That's why I brought up Xenoblade 2. Would the game have sold as well if they didn't dive into the gameplay? It's not like the majority was asking, either. The same argument could be made for Smash Ultimate. Who was discussing frame data from trailers outside of the most hardcore fans? Yet, do you think the game would have sold as well with exclusively cg trailers? I doubt it, personally.

So yeah, I don't think a lack of gameplay interest is the reasonable consequence of the limited advertising, but the opposite.

55 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I never said this wasn't the case, and I know FE16 doesn't have the perfect marketing, but I also know that labeling it as a game with bad marketing for not getting info about things like skills/crests/calendar/bios to be a bit too much here. 

I wonder, though. Sometimes, any info is good, you know?

Edited by Cysx

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

I see what you mean, and yeah the more info, the better it is. That's why I said FE16's marketing isn't perfect considering just how much more info we could have had by now had they translated everything that was posted in Japan. 

And giving extra details about the game-play is never a bad thing, but I truly don't think someone would decide to buy this game after learning about how simple things like skills and such work, and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make here. I don't see anything that would make someone have a 180 turn on this game that wasn't translated officially and talked about or showed in a video by now.

5 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I'm about as hardcore a Fire Emblem fan as you get and even I've glossed over a lot of the Famitsu info. It feels like the kind of stuff you don't really need to know about until you're actually playing the game.

3 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I see what you mean, and yeah the more info, the better it is. That's why I said FE16's marketing isn't perfect considering just how much more info we could have had by now had they translated everything that was posted in Japan. 

And giving extra details about the game-play is never a bad thing, but I truly don't think someone would decide to buy this game after learning about how simple things like skills and such work, and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make here. I don't see anything that would make someone have a 180 turn on this game that wasn't translated officially and talked about or showed in a video by now.

most of the time these are thing the game will ease you into, instead of being like the article and just saying what it does without the context of being in the game, you'll get first hand experience on how it works

3 hours ago, Rose482 said:

It's a lot to expect of a singular piece of information, to be fair. But there are people popping up now and then saying they haven't seen a lot but have no interest in highschool emblem, so, having your mind changed by gameplay details doesn't seem that impossible. It's not like I don't see your point though, I just disagree on superficial stuff at the end of the day.

47 minutes ago, Clathy said:

It's really weird. Why only show one half of a house ?! And not even the most "popular" characters of said house ?! It doesn't make sense.

Linhardt and Petra are pretty popular but they just want to give sample of characters while finding out the rest yourself at release.

3 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Linhardt and Petra are pretty popular but they just want to give sample of characters while finding out the rest yourself at release. 

I still would have liked the Likes and Dislikes of the other four... sad.

2 hours ago, Hauke said:

I still would have liked the Likes and Dislikes of the other four... sad.

Yeah, with how hilarious they were (Hubert liking coffee and irony), I would have loved to see how they did others (Bernadetta in particular).

I'd bet it's a minor error. Graphic designer probably wasn't intimately familiar with the game. 

Sreng has until now been a separate country, and Gautier was specifically noted to be a border territory. 

I know it was three days ago and it's now Blue Lions week, but...

They did post a wallpaper of sorts showing all the Black Eagles members.

Still would've personally preferred getting a video showcasing the other members, but it is what it is.

There's also this 30 second ad posted by the official Nintendo channel:

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  Hide contents

Capture2.PNG

Hide contents

1562635815938.jpg

Did the Northern county of Sreng got annex/conquered over the time skip or that's a minor error?

Conquering his neighbors certainly seems something that older Dimitri would do. Also the color is a little bit different from Fergus which could indeed imply conquest.

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Conquering his neighbors certainly seems something that older Dimitri would do. Also the color is a little bit different from Fergus which could indeed imply conquest.

The colour is different because the countries outside of Fodlan have a darker colour on the map and the blue colour is only an overlay.

It's interesting to see how similar Hubert and Dedue's dislikes are. I wonder if we'll get someone like that for Golden Deer? Maybe Hilda, since I seem to remember something about a rivalry Lorenz has with Claude, and those two are the most likely.

Hey, that video made me way more interested in Dimitri, again. And his students are overall the most appealing design wise tbh. Maybe I'll just do 3 separate files at the same time to avoid having to choose.

Dimtri's voice is really good! I like it!

Also, this line:

"Oh Sylvain. We grew up together, except he became a bit of a...well...skirt chaser. We're working on that."

I really like this line. It kinda puts how Dimitri feels about Sylvain without saying a lot. But it also makes him sound a bit more easy-going/ laid back when it comes to his friends...which is nice.

...the struggle to stay Firm with Golden Deer is real man...:sweatdrop:

Edited by Busterman64