Equipment and Supplies Question for Comic

Hawkwing

This might be jumping the gun, but this might also be getting a question answered sooner rather than later.

Long story short, my current playthrough of Fire Emblem: Awakening has been wacky and weird in increasingly enjoyable ways, and I kind of regret not being able to do a Lets Play on it. I've had the idea of making a comic out of the experience for a while now to share the oddities that I encountered, as well as to have more creative freedom with what I can do. I've also been inspired by Planet of Hats, where the artist, David Morgan-Mor, recapped the original series of Star Trek, as well as the animated series and the movies. Unlike the other comics he has made, it was drawn entirely by hand, with the intent to sharpen his drawing skills despite not having much prior experience. I too have little artistic ability, and believe this could be a fun way to strengthen some skills that I do not currently have. It would also be an opportunity to try my hand at writing fiction and satire, which I haven't really explored.

I already have most of my ideas written down, and progress on arranging an outline and transcript has been pretty steady. About the only question I really have is what drawing supplies and equipment I should use when creating the comic itself?

In the About section of the site, David Morgan-Mor lists that throughout the comic's runtime, he used:

• A 2B pencil (which didn't see much use)
  • An HB pencil (which surprisingly lasted over 100 strips)
  • A few Artline 90 markers
  • Several Artline 700 markers
  • Several Artline 200 markers
  • A few Artline 220 markers

I don't plan on using any colors, since it will probably just be a black-and-white comic. Should these writing materials be enough? Should I add something to the list of things to buy? Am I okay if I don't get one or more of these items? Any other suggestions and advice would be welcome.

I'm also unused to how scanning works (although I know enough tech people to ask about that). Will simple blank printing paper be fine to use, or should I invest in a different type of paper?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Blank printing paper will work fine.

You might use a ruler for boxes for the panels, and depending on how complicated your character designs are, you could sketch them out in pencil and then ink the final lines then erase the pencil. Inking also tends to scan in better sometimes.

Also get in the habit of not outline drawing. Use simple shapes and construction lines to create the body of the character. This also makes it much easier to draw different poses. 

Image result for how to draw a fox

This is construction lines/shapes for a fox. If you think you need to you can look for step by step tutorials for different creatures/characters. But many webcomics get away with stick figures as well.

Hope that helps!