i'm a master of education

Specta

2 hours ago, Specta said:

it's a mediocre area where I am. our new teacher assessments are extra super Dumb though unfortunately

my students think i'm endearingly insane so somewhere in the middle with maybe a kind skew towards Robin Williams

Even though the pay for public school teachers around here is good from what my friends tell me, I could never do what you do. That shit would drive me nuts, and I think working at a state college has spoiled me. 1000 respect dollars to you.

I'm just gonna assume you have them rip out the pages from their stuffy textbooks in protest, but then force them to eat those pages as punishment.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:02 PM, Johann said:

I'm just gonna assume you have them rip out the pages from their stuffy textbooks in protest, but then force them to eat those pages as punishment.

shit are you one of my students

How close were you to going batshit-crazy like Russell Crowe did on A Beautiful Mind with all the work you put in?

3 hours ago, Karimlan said:

How close were you to going batshit-crazy like Russell Crowe did on A Beautiful Mind with all the work you put in?

i anxiety blacked out like a whole month at one point

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'm 32 years old but yes

held back a few grades, i see

12 hours ago, Specta said:

held back a few grades, i see

no lie, I never finished high school, but I do have a master's degree anyway

16 hours ago, Johann said:

no lie, I never finished high school, but I do have a master's degree anyway

dude nice turnaround - what's the degree in?

4 hours ago, Specta said:

dude nice turnaround - what's the degree in?

Emergency Management, so like FEMA/first responder/public health/national security type stuff. Got it for free through the college I teach at, and I really enjoyed the program. I'm extraordinarily fortunate that things worked out so well for me.

How far along in your adult life were you before you came to the conclusion that this was what you wanted to do?

32 minutes ago, Johann said:

Emergency Management, so like FEMA/first responder/public health/national security type stuff. Got it for free through the college I teach at, and I really enjoyed the program. I'm extraordinarily fortunate that things worked out so well for me.

How far along in your adult life were you before you came to the conclusion that this was what you wanted to do?

dude that is insanely lit. what an appreciated contribution to society, man

21. i was a freelance graphic designer after high school and hated it and around 21 i decided to just yolo my ass into college to be an english teacher because art clients suck so bad at communicating that it makes a girl wanna go back in time and teach them as children how to not be so fucking bad at communicating

2 minutes ago, Specta said:

dude that is insanely lit. what an appreciated contribution to society, man

21. i was a freelance graphic designer after high school and hated it and around 21 i decided to just yolo my ass into college to be an english teacher because art clients suck so bad at communicating that it makes a girl wanna go back in time and teach them as children how to not be so fucking bad at communicating

Oh yeah clients are the worst thing ever. Right out of college, I worked for a few months as an environmental consultant and it put me into a heavy depression. Was eating worse and less often, less sleep too, and didn't have the time to do any of the things that give me genuine joy, like acting. Also a lot of bee stings, but that's like cartoonish suffering so I could laugh at that at least.

Even though I teach science courses, I heavily emphasize to the kids that everything in college (and a career, and life) is about getting good at identifying and solving problems. Communication is like half of that since it doesn't help if nobody else understands the problem. It's hard enough with college kids but I can't imagine how crazy it is with high schoolers.

11 hours ago, Johann said:

Advanced issues found

11 hours ago, Johann said:

Communication is like half of that since it doesn't help if nobody else understands the problem

oh my GOD yes

and one thing that drives me crazy is a lot of "smarter" kids i've taught in high school or tutored in college would make zero effort to be understood because it was somehow the other person's problem if they ~couldn't understand~ like... no... part of the onus is on you to communicate the issue in a way your audience can comprehend... 

on a lighter note i'm having a splendid time imagining you just being followed by a lazy squad of bees that sting you at inopportune moments. cheers for that

Edited by Specta

3 hours ago, Specta said:

oh my GOD yes

and one thing that drives me crazy is a lot of "smarter" kids i've taught in high school or tutored in college would make zero effort to be understood because it was somehow the other person's problem if they ~couldn't understand~ like... no... part of the onus is on you to communicate the issue in a way your audience can comprehend... 

on a lighter note i'm having a splendid time imagining you just being followed by a lazy squad of bees that sting you at inopportune moments. cheers for that

Oh yeah that's a bad mindset. I blame myself if I can't explain any of the stuff to them effectively. The biggest problem at my school is that the student body is regimented and disciplined, and it takes them a while to feel comfortable asking questions or speaking up, so I usually don't know what's getting through or not until the quizzes or whatever.

As for the bees, that's basically how it went down. At one point I unknowingly walked over a ground hornet nest and had myself a My Girl moment

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

Oh yeah that's a bad mindset. I blame myself if I can't explain any of the stuff to them effectively. The biggest problem at my school is that the student body is regimented and disciplined, and it takes them a while to feel comfortable asking questions or speaking up, so I usually don't know what's getting through or not until the quizzes or whatever.

As for the bees, that's basically how it went down. At one point I unknowingly walked over a ground hornet nest and had myself a My Girl moment

ahhh man that makes sense. frustrating place to be in as an instructor, though!!

LMAO oh shit did you die

11 hours ago, Specta said:

ahhh man that makes sense. frustrating place to be in as an instructor, though!!

LMAO oh shit did you die

They go back to being normal humans after a while. The good thing is that they never act out, but then I never had any problems with that teaching at the community college either.

yes, but only later when my mom dropped me off a cliff to save Elijah Wood. For real though, after all them hornets, my hand looked like a boxing glove