80 Hours in one path - 200 across the three

That is impressive, but I wonder how much of that time is spent on actual FE maps and how much is spent in the social/monastery part.

My experience with Persona 5, much as I love it, had much, if not most of my gameplay time spent on the social simulator half of the game, as well as the least enjoyable part of the game (Mementos). 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall, the average playthrough for Radiant Dawn is about 40-50 hours (correct me if I am wrong). This, plus a smaller cast than RD and Fates (I am of the mind of quality over quantity) will be interesting to see.

It's probably fair to expect a thorough playthrough to take a lot of time, since the monastery brings many time consuming rpg elements to the table. However, I don't doubt that that's an inflated number.

For what it's worth, the treehouse save files were at 11 to 12 hours of playtime on ch 8. The game would need between 50 and 60 chapters to last 80 hours at that rate, that's a lot.

5 minutes ago, Cysx said:

It's probably fair to expect a thorough playthrough to take a lot of time, since the monastery brings many time consuming rpg elements to the table. However, I don't doubt that that's an inflated number.

For what it's worth, the treehouse save files were at 11 to 12 hours of playtime on ch 8. The game would need between 50 and 60 chapters to last 80 hours at that rate, that's a lot.

However, early chapters are likely going to be substantially shorter/simpler than later ones. 

Sort of off topic, but I read something in the article that I believe is brand new:

• Esprits Perdus : En escarmouche, il existe des cases appelées Esprits Perdus, qui nous indiquent un endroit où les autres joueurs ont eu des difficultés. Réussir à survivre sur ses cases octroie des bonus supplémentaires, dus à la difficulté plus élevée.

This translates to: Lost spirits: During skirmishes, there exists "spots" called "Lost Spirits", which shows locations where other players had problems. If you are able to survive on those "spots", you will receive additional bonuses due to the higher difficulty.

I'm actually French, but I'm a bit confused with what they mean here. "Case" normally refers to a single square / hex / whatever you want to call it. So it's basically saying that in skirmishes, squares where a lot of other players lost characters are flagged as "lost spirits" tiles, and that you get additional bonuses for having a unit survive on it.

38 minutes ago, Etheus said:

However, early chapters are likely going to be substantially shorter/simpler than later ones. 

That's true. Chapters shouldn't be >80% of the playtime like usual anyway, so this was a moot point I guess.

9 minutes ago, Coolmanio said:

Developers ALWAYS over-exaggerate playtimes. Based on this, I am assuming 40-50 hours for a regular player.

Doubtful especially all the quests, Paralouges, chapters, possible post game, officer's academy shenanigans etc.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

This could well be accurate, just based on how much the monastery will add playtime. It's an overhaul of the traditional core gameplay loop where there was very little to do outside of story and side battles. It's not really comparable with previous entries. 

As for Treehouse demo, difficulty was on normal, played by someone who has very likely already beat the game at least once.

I found another interview, with some different questions and answers. http://www.gameblog.fr/news/84295-fire-emblem-three-houses-rencontre-avec-ses-createurs-la-ver

Short bits about working with Kozaki, Advance Wars and what they are most proud of in Three Houses. 

29 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Doubtful especially all the quests, Paralouges, chapters, possible post game, officer's academy shenanigans etc.

Well I wonder what they meant by "to end the game". To me that tends to mean just getting to end credits so post game wouldn't count. But it's anybody's guess how much side content was done since he did not specify

16 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

I'm pretty sure Birthright, Conquest and Revelation took about 80 hours each for me with minimal grinding (on Rev only), so I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out so much.

I would double check your file times because nobody should have spent that much time on those games just to beat it. On my file select my first runs of Conquest and Birthright were 32:55 and 35:07. I definitely remember doing grinding in Birthright to try out new classes, and paralogues in Conquest (the only way to grind in that game) but otherwise stuck to the main story and moved on to the next game after clearing it.

Consider other Switch titles,

Zelda took me 120 hours to beat Ganon, 260 hours to 100%,

Xenoblade took well over 200 hours;

Witcher 3 (on my PC) also took me about 120 for just one ending.

I can totally see FE16 taking 80 hours to go through.

I wonder why three routes only takes 200 though, rather than 240.

Does it mean some routes are shorter? Like Edelgard's takes 80 while two others only 60?

Or that because players are getting better and/or skipping cutscenes during school phase?

Edited by Timlugia

I honestly don't think it's going to be 80 hours to go through one route tho. One it feels like an exaggeration, to make it seem longer than it is, and I'm sure for some players it could be. Probably closer to 30-40 realistically per route. Upwards of 50 if you really micromanage your characters. Also that's probably going through every side quest ad maximizing every lesson plan. Also he probs walked away from the game several times, but left it on, which always adds like 8-10+ hours to any console game I play.

these times are almost always inflated. most games that I play end up being half the stated pre-release time of them. It would be fine even if a playthrough was a third of that length. it's not like I play fast either.

i could state that baldur's gate 2 could be estimated to be 100-200 hours for a completionist run but if someone doesn't enjoy it then what's the point.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=810
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=811

Edited by Tryhard

I tend to to take longer than advertised, so I'm guessing around 100 hours per house. I still appreciate long games, if they're good of course. And I'm not too worried about that when it comes to this game.  So I'd say this is good news.

1 hour ago, Coolmanio said:

Developers ALWAYS over-exaggerate playtimes. Based on this, I am assuming 40-50 hours for a regular player.

18 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

these times are almost always inflated. most games that I play end up being half the stated pre-release time of them. It would be fine even if a playthrough was a third of that length. it's not like I play fast either.

i could state that baldur's gate 2 could be estimated to be 100-200 hours for a completionist run but if someone doesn't enjoy it then what's the point.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=810
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=811

I think you to both are probably right, Skyrim takes God knows how many hours to 100%, but if you're doing a casual run of it probably about 25 or so Hours

I'm going to guess the game as a whole will take about 45-55 hours to just play through on normal difficulty

To finish what is the aspect of Fire Emblem Three Houses that makes you the most proud?

Mr. Yokota : I am quite proud of this great monastery which is the gathering place in the game but also of the historical context around the continent of the game, Foldan. I am quite proud of this story, that of this country.

Mr. Kusakihara : I do not want to sound weird when I'm obviously a developer on this game, but when I did the game from A to Z, when I got to the end of the story of the final version, I I had this incredible feeling that this country really existed, that it had a story to discover. Even as a developer on the game, I had that feeling of experiencing something that really existed. That's what I would like players to feel: the feeling that all of this has existed.

Surprised to see world building as something the devs are proud of. Seems that they took the criticism of Fates' world to heart when writing TH.

As for play time, I'm hoping that it'll be more like 40 hours, as 80 for one route just seems incredibly long. It also puts a damper on replays, since I like to do new Conquest runs where I blast through while using different classes and characters.

Edited by Lief
Adding more thoughts on main topic

50 minutes ago, Lief said:

To finish what is the aspect of Fire Emblem Three Houses that makes you the most proud?

Mr. Yokota : I am quite proud of this great monastery which is the gathering place in the game but also of the historical context around the continent of the game, Foldan. I am quite proud of this story, that of this country.

Mr. Kusakihara : I do not want to sound weird when I'm obviously a developer on this game, but when I did the game from A to Z, when I got to the end of the story of the final version, I I had this incredible feeling that this country really existed, that it had a story to discover. Even as a developer on the game, I had that feeling of experiencing something that really existed. That's what I would like players to feel: the feeling that all of this has existed.

Surprised to see world building as something the devs are proud of. Seems that they took the criticism of Fates' world to heart when writing TH.

This is great to hear. The world building does seem good from what we know.