Jump to content
Von Ithipathachai

Current Three Houses Class Observations

Recommended Posts

So after learning about the classes page on the Japanese Three Houses website I decided to compile all of the important stuff we know about them into one spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wVyXKSiDE3B6KfwL77WO60IsXGg6106bjt9o7zCCD_s/edit?usp=sharing

Some curious observations I've made, assuming the stat spreads given are truthful:

  • Fighters and Monks appear to be the only classes that specifically say you only need to meet one of the Weapon Ranks specified in order to fulfill the recommendations.  All others appear to demand you meet all of the Weapon Ranks specified.
  • Mounted units overall have better ratings than non-mounted ones by a significant margin, sadly as to be expected.  However, Cavaliers and Paladins have surprisingly low Spd ratings.  In fact, they're apparently as slow as Armored Knights and Fortresses!  Nevertheless, they will probably still be better as tanks due to their superior Mov and Res.
  • Brigands and Warriors have slightly better overall ratings than other melee infantry classes in their respective tiers.  Furthermore, Warriors actually appear to have pretty passable Spd.  Too bad the same can't be said about Brigands.
  • Archers and Snipers are especially bad statistically.  That extra Bow range had better be worth it.
  • Dark Mages appear to just be straight-up better than Mages, while both appear to be straight-up better than Priests.  Then again I don't supposed Priests really need good stats to do their job (healing) effectively.  They also have low Mov like Armored units.
  • Flying units have better Mov than most infantry, but worse Mov than Cavalry.  I approve of this.
  • Swordmasters appear to have decent Str, at least as good as Heroes.
  • Assassins have slightly better Mov than other Advanced infantry classes.
  • Bishops are more durable than the other Advanced magic-wielding classes, having better HP and Res along with similar Def.

Thoughts?  Any mistakes I may have made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

 

  • Archers and Snipers are especially bad statistically.  That extra Bow range had better be worth it.

I believe some footage suggested that they suffer from accuracy penalties the farther you attack from, so I'm thinking this will not be their game to shine.

 

Quote

Swordmasters appear to have decent Str, at least as good as Heroes.

IIRC, they've got the exat same stat spread except with more SPD. guess that's the trade for Axe Prof?

Edit: they actually trade HP for Spd, but are otherwise identical

Edited by Marros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Assassins have slightly better Mov than other Advanced infantry classes.

Holy crap it took them this long, huh? In GBA era and Tellius thieves had one more movement than other infantry classes. But gained nothing on promotion! So they didn't retain their +1 movement bonus compared to other infantry units so they seemed inferior to other classes. I guess Awakening sort of fixed the issue through its +1 movement skill that thieves earn at level 10, but class skills granting stats feels like a lazy answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Holy crap it took them this long, huh? In GBA era and Tellius thieves had one more movement than other infantry classes. But gained nothing on promotion! So they didn't retain their +1 movement bonus compared to other infantry units so they seemed inferior to other classes. I guess Awakening sort of fixed the issue through its +1 movement skill that thieves earn at level 10, but class skills granting stats feels like a lazy answer.

Looks like they flipped it compared to those games since Thief still has the same move the other Intermediate Infantry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Marros said:

Looks like they flipped it compared to those games since Thief still has the same move the other Intermediate Infantry.

Bleh. Never mind. I guess I prefer it that way but movement is crucial for a thief at any stage of the game. All the more reason to recruit lockpicking cavalry extraordinaire Ashe.

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really surprised that the gauntlet-wielders have lower strength than the rest of the front-line infantry. Mainly because they can pull off more attacks with them. Plus, wyvern riders are looking more useful than pegasi when it comes to actually taking hits; but I think that's normal for FE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Marros said:

I believe some footage suggested that they suffer from accuracy penalties the farther you attack from, so I'm thinking this will not be their game to shine.

No way. Now that we know that close counter is relatively easy to reach, and we've seen Ashe, Bernadetta and Ignatz all pull their own weight no problem, mobility aside I strongly doubt they're going to be bad. They also naturally synergize really well with the new "attack stance" system. Might only amount to +3 avo/acc and some negligible Gambit damage at first, but considering support bonuses seem to work that way too... only thing that could really make them awful is this being mount emblem, and even still, there's a good chance for bow cavalry. As for this penalty, it's significant(-20 per tile above 2 I'm pretty sure), but being able to hit from 4+ range at all is still really nice. Others don't even get the option.
If any class is looking like it might be getting the short end of the stick thus far, it's mages. 4 Move still at tier 4, yikes. At least they were competent in dungeon in Echoes, where movement didn't matter, but we haven't seen anything like that at this point...

Frankly outside of movement I'm not sure these ratings will have that much weight, from what we've seen. None of the cavaliers we've seen in action have been noticeably slow, outside of Lorenz, but I think it's more his natural speed being bad. In general really, what those ratings could be pointing at first and foremost is the amount of stat fixing the class can provide, which would mean you'd have to be bad in the first place for the bad ones to hurt you.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Assassins have slightly better Mov than other Advanced infantry classes.

Grapplers too apparently, right?

 

Edited by Cysx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Von Ithipathachai said:

No, it looks like they still have normal infantry Mov.

Really? Both your chart and the site put them at 3/5, same as assassins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Grapplers have 6 mov like assassins and Pegasus knights. 

Edited by SpiceMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic users being stuck to 4 mov through all three tiers so far really makes me hope for a final Mage Knight / Valkyrie promotion for them. Or hopefully at least some items like the mage ring to increase their range...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What i would like to know is how we get the percentage to pass an exam. Like what if i want to reclass to a Wyvern rider and my Unit have A in Axes and like E or D in Flying. Would that unit get at least the 30% required to take the exam? I suppose every rank gives a little bump to that number, so taking a 30% could be worth it just cause i suppose we can save and re load and then we dont need to have the specific requirements, or maybe just one of the two (Wyvern in this case).

I remember in the RogersBase video that Edelgard had the required C in Authority for the Lord cass but not the D+ in Swords (Had an E+) and she had a 28% of passing, so she couldnt take the exam. Maybe we need at least more than E+ rank? That could make sense. I also remember (maybe in another video) Ingrid having both the Pegasus Knight and Cavalier class unlocked, so she probably gets carried cause of her Lance level.

Edited by Nio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nio said:

I also remember (maybe in another video) Ingrid having both the Pegasus Knight and Cavalier class unlocked, so she probably gets carried cause of her Lance level.

I don't know what month the this was in, but D-rank in flying and Riding isn't terribly hard. Instruction + Group Tasks would take maybe 2 months to get both. assuming she doesn't start with one at D already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Marros said:

I don't know what month the this was in, but D-rank in flying and Riding isn't terribly hard. Instruction + Group Tasks would take maybe 2 months to get both. assuming she doesn't start with one at D already.

Yes that could also be it. I just would like to know how percetange system works, but i doubt that kinda of stuff gets talked before release. Would see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to jump in,  I wasn't aware that certain classes were outright restricted from using magic. I was under the impression that much like weapons, any class could use magic, they were simply more limited by not having bonus casts, as well as lower Magic caps and growths. I must have missed where this information was found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Onestep said:

Just to jump in,  I wasn't aware that certain classes were outright restricted from using magic. I was under the impression that much like weapons, any class could use magic, they were simply more limited by not having bonus casts, as well as lower Magic caps and growths. I must have missed where this information was found.

This was revealed as early as the first Famitsu coverage, but we misinterpreted it back then because there wasn't a clear concise statement, just some classes having the "can use magic" mention, and others not. We were led to believe that all weapon types were universal thus far, so it wasn't enough to make us realize that was wrong, or that magic wasn't considered a weapon type in the first place(since technically, well, no weapon's involved, it's just spells).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cysx said:

This was revealed as early as the first Famitsu coverage, but we misinterpreted it back then because there wasn't a clear concise statement, just some classes having the "can use magic" mention, and others not. We were led to believe that all weapon types were universal thus far, so it wasn't enough to make us realize that was wrong, or that magic wasn't considered a weapon type in the first place(since technically, well, no weapon's involved, it's just spells).

I see. Well, that's deeply unfortunate, since it takes Magic from 'Something worth investing in, even if you don't intend to focus on it' to 'Only worth investing in if you absolutely focus on it'. It kind of makes recruiting Magic-based characters with Byleth a lot harder, since unless you're planning on having Byleth be a mage, any magic investment will be a waste, at least for the visible tiers. What's the point of levelling Reason and learning Fire and so on, if you can't use it outside of a selection of classes?

Edited by Onestep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Onestep said:

I see. Well, that's deeply unfortunate, since it takes Magic from 'Something worth investing in, even if you don't intend to focus on it' to 'Only worth investing in if you absolutely focus on it'. It kind of makes recruiting Magic-based characters with Byleth a lot harder, since unless you're planning on having Byleth be a mage, any magic investment will be a waste, at least for the visible tiers. What's the point of levelling Reason and learning Fire and so on, if you can't use it outside of a selection of classes?

Once you pass a class exam you can freely change between all the ones you passed with no extra cost. So you can change between a magic and non magic class as much as you want. I think the game even encourages switch between class when ever you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SilverArcher said:

Once you pass a class exam you can freely change between all the ones you passed with no extra cost. So you can change between a magic and non magic class as much as you want. I think the game even encourages switch between class when ever you can.

Yes, but I'm assuming that classes have different stats growths, or that other choices affects growths. At best, levelling primarily in say, Mercenary/Hero, then swapping over to Mage so you can use Magic along with your developed sword skills, is a very awkward way of doing things. Especially since you could only level your Reason/Faith skill through training at school, rather than on the battlefield. Comparatively, it's muche easier for mages to train an off-weapon than it is for non-mages to train some off-magic.

Edited by Onestep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. In my thoughts of what I was going to do with my characters, I eventually came to the conclusion that hybrid units seem a waste. Physical attackers should stay away from magic, and spellcasters should go all in on both Reason and Faith.

I wish some other classes had the Commoner/Noble's restriction of "Can wield some magic", which I imagine means that they can use the more basic spells that characters learn. That way there'd be a reason to still use Mages and Priests, but not make a little Reason/Faith training pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Onestep said:

I see. Well, that's deeply unfortunate, since it takes Magic from 'Something worth investing in, even if you don't intend to focus on it' to 'Only worth investing in if you absolutely focus on it'. It kind of makes recruiting Magic-based characters with Byleth a lot harder, since unless you're planning on having Byleth be a mage, any magic investment will be a waste, at least for the visible tiers. What's the point of levelling Reason and learning Fire and so on, if you can't use it outside of a selection of classes?

That is true, but hopefully not the whole story either. For example(as-in that's all I've got), choir practice is the only source of weapon skill  for both Byleth and two students at once as far as we know, and it raises Faith specifically. Weapon ranks also give skills it would appear, and there's a possibility that characters get something valuable enough from reason and faith to warrant the effort even without being magic users. Maybe. In practice probably not if we're being honest

17 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Comparatively, it's muche easier for mages to train an off-weapon than it is for non-mages to train some off-magic.

I wonder, because using physical weapons for magic inclined characters seems really niche thus far. I mean it can't be worse granted but, I do question whether or not it'll actually be worth it. Especially if the theory that strength reduces weapon weight is true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Yes, but I'm assuming that classes have different stats growths, or that other choices affects growths. At best, levelling primarily in say, Mercenary/Hero, then swapping over to Mage so you can use Magic along with your developed sword skills, is a very awkward way of doing things. Especially since you could only level your Reason/Faith skill through training at school, rather than on the battlefield. Comparatively, it's muche easier for mages to train an off-weapon than it is for non-mages to train some off-magic.

In that case it's not really worth recruiting magics with Byleth if you aren't turning them into mage. A bit off topic but something that has been on my mind have you noticed that a hidden talent  combat art for Hubert is Ice Javelin. I wonder what that is about and if it does magic damage. Because it's called Ice Javelin I would assume it is a 2 ranged attack.

Edited by SilverArcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LSM said:

I eventually came to the conclusion that hybrid units seem a waste. Physical attackers should stay away from magic, and spellcasters should go all in on both Reason and Faith.

The problem arises when IE one is strong in reason and weak in faith. You will start considering equipping them side arms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...