Advices for a first playthrought

I just finished my PoR playthrought (which was my first fire emblem btw) , and, well, I am asking for advices on this one, since, apparently, this game is way harder.

How does strategies play out in easy mode? Cause in PoR... Well I had none during mostly the whole game.

Same thing for grinding. At some point in PoR, I actually reset the whole thing because I saw that some of my units were underleveled. And also I realised that you can actually recruit some ennemies (thanks internet). That's how I got one of my most useful units, Jill. In other words I'm bad at recruiting and getting a group of units all on the same level. At least, at the beginning, there were fewer hnits to focus on. Also, thanks internet again, Oscar, turned out to be wholy useful after promoting (and by useful, I mean I cleared a lot of stages only using him and, if necessary, "bait" units). Endgame turned out to be a representation of my playthrought: used Ike and Giffra (or whatever is his name?) on the central way, Jill on the left (supported by mist with physic) and Oscar on the right, with no supports (Sol is broken boyz). Also, I never actually gave anyone a skill, because I haven't found a lot of them actually (stupid me not opening chests), except AETHER(!) and Sol. And all of that because of me reading characters review. The problem is, I don't want to spend time on a in-the-end-useless character. Characters that ended up like that on my playthrought were probably Boyd and (surprisingly) Titania (she was still in my top 5 in the end, tho, which tells you that all my other characters, excluding Ike, Jill, (even Boyd) were underleveled (idk lvl 10 on endgame is awful). (I don't know if it was me being stupid, but when Oscar reached the same level as her, he was already more useful, excluding (I think) any skills, like Sol, and that made him even more broken)

Also, are there any forced units at some point that I should level up? (the only one that made me mad in PoR was being forced to use Mist on the black knight stage, and I knew you'd be forced to use Mist, and that's why I used here on the first place)

Now, I get that I should use less units than the maximum, I actually knew that since a long time, but mostly never applied it because of level up needed on some characters. It's my main concern with this game, since I'd like to keep people leveled up, but for them tobe useful in the end. Also me not recognising that characters can be recruited, but I'll probably just check the wiki for that.

(Also, is it true that, for difficulties, the japanese normal, hard and maniac became easy, normal and hard on NTSC/PAL?)

I don't know, if this changes anything, too, but, in PoR, when acharacter died, I basically always treated it like a game over (I know it's not, It's just me) and restarted the chapter. Would it be harder if I did this in this game too?

Edited by mariogamer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spending time in useless units shouldn't be too much of a concern. There aren't very many useless units in RD, just a few hampered by poor accessibility. Although you'll have an easier time early on if you stay away from Leonardo and Fiona. The randomized nature of levelups in FE can have a big affect on how units turn out too -- Boyd isn't bad at all, maybe he just got some bad levelups in your playthrough. In general just try to make sure your units are leveling up somewhat equally and you're not letting one overpowered beastunit kill everything because as you noted, it'll make everyone else underleveled. RD definitely has a few early units that are very strong but shouldn't see much action until later because they start out at such a high level and everyone else needs the xp.

Forced units: Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Sanaki, Ena, and Kurth are all forced into the endgame. Plus a heron IIRC. Not that you're necessarily forced to use them, but it does make stuff like training a non-Sothe thief silly because you only really need one thief...

The difficulty modes in PoR are unique to the NA version yeah.  There was originally no easy mode in JP, and there's not one in RD either, so the minimum difficulty level you can find in RD will be significantly harder than PoR easy. Good luck!

Sanaki?!? Now I'm intrigued.

An archer I can get rid of? good. I don't really know why, but I really didn't like archers in PoR, maybe because I wasn't a fan of Shinon from the beginning. I always prefered, Mage/Sage but even here, I laughed hard at Soren still not being able to defend against more than 2 hits and didn't level him up anymore at some point. Tho it seems like Illyana and Micaiah have more actual strengh early on in this game (they still don't seem to defend well).

I'd also like to know if 'Parts' (except the last one) are independent of each other or you get to actually use some characters from, for exemple, part 1 in part 2.

The first part gives you a lot of overpowered units. HOWEVER! Most of those units are temporary, and thus relying too much on them will bite you in the ass later (in particular, there's Tormod and co., who don't show up again until part 4). By the way, this game isn't like others in terms of availability.

2 hours ago, mariogamer said:

I'd also like to know if 'Parts' (except the last one) are independent of each other or you get to actually use some characters from, for exemple, part 1 in part 2.

None of the characters in part 1 appear in part 2 (part 2 takes place in an entirely different part of the world than the one part 1 did). But some characters you meet in part 2 are also playable in part 3, in addition to one from part 1. (Also of note, you end up with the Daein units again for a few chapters in part 3)

Edited by Shadow Mir

As long as you don't try to level every single unit, you should be fine.  Pick a small core from each part, and try not to overlap roles too much (so don't choose every single mage from every single part).  RD isn't so ridiculously tough that choosing underpowered units makes the game unplayable. . .but you may need to be a bit more creative.

BEXP will level up three stats, full stop.  Use this to your advantage.

Yes, the difficulties are mistranslated. 

JP normal = EN easy

JP hard = EN normal

JP maniac = EN hard

That said unlike in FE9 there is no fourth difficulty. 

FE10 can be rough for a blind player because the early game features the weakest group with the most fragile lord. It is not uncommon to lose units and get a Game Over. In normal or hard mode for unexperienced players I definitely do not recommend to share experience because the enemies are tough. However there is some help like a quick battle save (not in hard mode) where you can try your moves over and over again and learn to get better. 

Characters you must / should train for plot:

• Micaiah
  • Sothe (at least till part 3)
  • Ike

FE10 has lots of chapters in which certain side characters must survive as well. In the first four maps no one may die. 

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The first part gives you a lot of overpowered units. HOWEVER! Most of those units are temporary, and thus relying too much on them will bite you in the ass later (in particular, there's Tormod and co., who don't show up again until part 4). By the way, this game isn't like others in terms of availability.

None of the characters in part 1 appear in part 2 (part 2 takes place in an entirely different part of the world than the one part 1 did). But some characters you meet in part 2 are also playable in part 3, in addition to one from part 1. (Also of note, you end up with the Daein units again for a few chapters in part 3)

What do you mean isn't like others? It is just the difficulty... right?

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

As long as you don't try to level every single unit, you should be fine.  Pick a small core from each part, and try not to overlap roles too much (so don't choose every single mage from every single part).  RD isn't so ridiculously tough that choosing underpowered units makes the game unplayable. . .but you may need to be a bit more creative.

BEXP will level up three stats, full stop.  Use this to your advantage.

Who should I use as a mage in priority? Their all the same to me, with their generally bad defense (I just can't stand it). Been using both Micaiah and Illyana, not sure if I should continue using them both?

I also heard about the BEXP thing but I don't understand it. Does it mean that maxed stats can get even higher?

14 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Yes, the difficulties are mistranslated. 

JP normal = EN easy

JP hard = EN normal

JP maniac = EN hard

That said unlike in FE9 there is no fourth difficulty. 

FE10 can be rough for a blind player because the early game features the weakest group with the most fragile lord. It is not uncommon to lose units and get a Game Over. In normal or hard mode for unexperienced players I definitely do not recommend to share experience because the enemies are tough. However there is some help like a quick battle save (not in hard mode) where you can try your moves over and over again and learn to get better. 

Characters you must / should train for plot:

• Micaiah
  • Sothe (at least till part 3)
  • Ike

I was going to use Ike and Micaiah anyways. She's a mage but she's also the main character so guess I'm forced to do so. I'd like to know if Soren needs a lot of training tho.

(Also, do we know if this translation thing was just an error from translators assuming stuff, or actual mistranslations?)

Also I still treat a unit dying as a game over and it shouldn't change, unless I end up playing hard mode in a distant future.

Also, I should ask this before finishing part 1. Can I solely focus on Jill, Noan and Aran, and forget the pre promoted/non tier 1  units for now? (edward is already proving to be hard to level up and ,at worse, I use Zihark.

If possible, I'd like to know about which skills you can find (and on who should I use them) after chap. 6.

Edited by mariogamer

33 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

Who should I use as a mage in priority? Their all the same to me, with their generally bad defense (I just can't stand it). Been using both Micaiah and Illyana, not sure if I should continue using them both?

I also heard about the BEXP thing but I don't understand it. Does it mean that maxed stats can get even higher?

Micaiah because you need to.  Soren does fairly well with BEXP, for reasons I'll explain below.

BEXP will level up three stats.  If a stat is capped (like Micaiah's magic), it'll ignore that stat.  Let's take Soren - he's two away from his Skl/Res cap, and four from Mag.  Let's say that you give him four regular levels, and he caps Mag/Skl/Res.  If you feed him BEXP in this state, he'll level three of his five remaining stats - HP/Str/Spd/Lck/Def.  Chances are, he'll cap Spd next, since he's five away from his cap.  That means the remaining levels of BEXP will level three of HP/Str/Lck/Def.

When used optimally, BEXP can make good characters even better.  Remember that it's not infinite!

38 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

What do you mean isn't like others? It is just the difficulty... right?

Simply put, you flip-flop from several different perspectives over the course of the game, as I implied in my earlier post.

For what it's worth, Ilyana is the only mage that can use Rexbolt in this game (in general, units in this game can only achieve max rank in their primary weapon type). And one of the final chapters has a boss that's pretty hard to kill, but is weak to thunder magic (not saying who because it's a spoiler).

No. It DOES mean, however, you can make stats with lower growths (e.g. Aran's speed) grow when a unit caps their higher growth stats (e.g in Aran's case, his strength, defense, and skill).

EDIT: Doh, I got ninja'd!

Edited by Shadow Mir

I'm already in endgame of the first part.

I'd like to know specifically if I can... well actually get to destroy things with overpowered units or be more thoughtfull?

I already made sure micaiah is level 20, promoted Jill and might get Aran/Noan to promote. Should I use my bexp right now or wait? (Since I probably won't get to use these units for a while if I get the list of chapters correctly)

Sorry for being repetitive or anything, I just want to actually get a game done in nard mode later on.

(PS. Best cutscene in the game is the opening cutscene)

Edited by mariogamer

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

For what it's worth, Ilyana is the only mage that can use Rexbolt in this game (in general, units in this game can only achieve max rank in their primary weapon type). And one of the final chapters has a boss that's pretty hard to kill, but is weak to thunder magic (not saying who because it's a spoiler).

This is a bit of a trap, as Ilyana's stats caps make her have a terrible time against said boss. At her cap said boss over kills her by 1 damage in one hit, so she has to be in one of the cover tiles (and not have him trigger his skill either through sheer dumb luck or Nihil), and even with capped magic and speed, and an attack boosting support, she only just barely deals as much as he heals. Ilyana is useful throughout the game, as she is literally the character with the best availability throughout the game, but sending her against that boss is a bad idea.

6 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

I'd like to know specifically if I can... well actually get to destroy things with overpowered units or be more thoughtfull?

Kinda, I mean the last 5 chapters lets you deploy all the royal Laguz (and you SHOULD deploy multiple of them), and often some overpowered units will just show up to let you stomp things if you want (You have already seen Nailah and Black Knight show up), but then there are points where you have to use questionably good units, and if there aren't multiple Dawn Brigade members promoted before the end of 1-E you will have a bad time when they return.

14 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

I already made sure micaiah is level 20, promoted Jill and might get Aran/Noan to promote. Should I use my bexp right now or wait? (Since I probably won't get to use these units for a while if I get the list of chapters correctly)

If it can get Aran/Nolan to promote with it you should, as when you get control of Dawn Brigade again they are going to feel very under-powered without a couple of them being promoted, and the more of them that are the better.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Kinda, I mean the last 5 chapters lets you deploy all the royal Laguz (and you SHOULD deploy multiple of them), and often some overpowered units will just show up to let you stomp things if you want (You have already seen Nailah and Black Knight show up), but then there are points where you have to use questionably good units, and if there aren't multiple Dawn Brigade members promoted before the end of 1-E you will have a bad time when they return.

Ok. Also, is the BEXP gained before in the story the same when you take back the dawn unit?

Wait... Will you take back the entire dawn unit (by entire, I leave the characters that left) or you won't have access to the one who joined afterward (after the beginning).

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is a bit of a trap, as Ilyana's stats caps make her have a terrible time against said boss. At her cap said boss over kills her by 1 damage in one hit, so she has to be in one of the cover tiles (and not have him trigger his skill either through sheer dumb luck or Nihil), and even with capped magic and speed, and an attack boosting support, she only just barely deals as much as he heals. Ilyana is useful throughout the game, as she is literally the character with the best availability throughout the game, but sending her against that boss is a bad idea.

Why wouldn't you be attacking him from a cover tile? Also, Ire only activates at 1 range, and two, pretty much no one would survive it going off anyhow. What's more, thanks to Nasir and Gareth, you're rather limited in terms of how to approach him anyway (only Kurthnaga and Ena are safe, and they're probably not going to do any damage that would be even remotely meaningful).

12 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

Ok. Also, is the BEXP gained before in the story the same when you take back the dawn unit?

Wait... Will you take back the entire dawn unit (by entire, I leave the characters that left) or you won't have access to the one who joined afterward (after the beginning).

You'll still have whatever BEXP you accrued with them. 

You will end up in control of the Daein units again, other than Nailah and Tormod and co.

Edited by Shadow Mir

22 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

You will end up in control of the Daein units again, other than Nailah and Tormod and co.

Tauroneo and Ilyana aren't with them when they return as well. Everyone does return before the very end.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Why wouldn't you be attacking him from a cover tile? Also, Ire only activates at 1 range, and two, pretty much no one would survive it going off anyhow. What's more, thanks to Nasir and Gareth, you're rather limited in terms of how to approach him anyway (only Kurthnaga and Ena are safe, and they're probably not going to do anything meaningful either).

It was more to emphasis her frailty, even with capped stats. If she is 4 points below her speed cap she dies. If she is collectively 9 below her health and defense cap she dies even with cover. There are units you can use against him that can take more than one hit. There are units you can use against him that are physically able to double him. If you give Ike a blessed wyrmslayer you can have a unit that still deals effective damage, has a speed cap that makes it possible to double him, and that can take more than one hit (with night tide). Caineghis deals more damage than her maximum possible damage output during a single round at base without considering anything you do to improve that (supports or blood tide), and can take more than one hit from him. Transformed Giffca deals the same as her maximum possible damage during a a single round at base without considering anything you do to improve that (transfers, supports or blood tide), and can take more than one hit from him. Trying to convince a player new to Radiant Dawn that using Ilyana against that boss is a good idea, is setting him up for a bad time. Also do not dismiss Kurthnaga, grinding him up can be the only option for those that have made terrible decisions regarding who to send, and what to bless. Also if someone new to Radiant Dawn is reading this do not ignore Kurthnaga and Ena's support abilities (especially Ena's) during the brief time you have them, as they are a way for them to meaningfully impact that battle, even if they are unable to do anything directly.

Ok.

Also, is it worth it to not to kill units in chapter 3? It kind of gets hard, everyone gets surrounded and I'm forced to attack to get out. I haven't used the crimean army yet, they're kind of too strong.

Just now, mariogamer said:

Also, is it worth it to not to kill units in chapter 3? It kind of gets hard, everyone gets surrounded and I'm forced to attack to get out. I haven't used the crimean army yet, they're kind of too strong.

In a word: No.

15 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It was more to emphasis her frailty, even with capped stats. If she is 4 points below her speed cap she dies. If she is collectively 9 below her health and defense cap she dies even with cover. There are units you can use against him that can take more than one hit. There are units you can use against him that are physically able to double him. If you give Ike a blessed wyrmslayer you can have a unit that still deals effective damage, has a speed cap that makes it possible to double him, and that can take more than one hit (with night tide). Caineghis deals more damage than her maximum possible damage output during a single round at base without considering anything you do to improve that (supports or blood tide), and can take more than one hit from him. Transformed Giffca deals the same as her maximum possible damage during a a single round at base without considering anything you do to improve that (transfers, supports or blood tide), and can take more than one hit from him. Trying to convince a player new to Radiant Dawn that using Ilyana against that boss is a good idea, is setting him up for a bad time. Also do not dismiss Kurthnaga, grinding him up can be the only option for those that have made terrible decisions regarding who to send, and what to bless. Also if someone new to Radiant Dawn is reading this do not ignore Kurthnaga and Ena's support abilities (especially Ena's) during the brief time you have them, as they are a way for them to meaningfully impact that battle, even if they are unable to do anything directly.

None of the other mages are much better in terms of durability, to be fair. Also, blessing a wyrmslayer is something I honestly frown upon since it's only useful for him and nothing else, and besides, it is strictly 1 range when everything has range, meaning you might as well have an innate Provoke on you. And again, you only have two spaces you can attack from unless you want to risk accidentally killing Gareth or Nasir, and one of those means gambling on Ire not activating (or having Nihil, of which there's only 3 [there's four, but one of those is on Nasir]), otherwise, you can stick a fork in your unit, because they're done.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

None of the other mages are much better in terms of durability, to be fair. Also, blessing a wyrmslayer is something I honestly frown upon since it's only useful for him and nothing else, and besides, it is strictly 1 range when everything has range, meaning you might as well have an innate Provoke on you. And again, you only have two spaces you can attack from unless you want to risk accidentally killing Gareth or Nasir, and one of those means gambling on Ire not activating (or having Nihil, of which there's only 3 [there's four, but one of those is on Nasir]), otherwise, you can stick a fork in your unit, because they're done.

. . .and yet you're promoting Ilyana, whose entire existence is a gamble.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

. . .and yet you're promoting Ilyana, whose entire existence is a gamble.

True enough, though I do believe you could do worse. Like investing in just about any non-royal laguz that isn't the hawks or Skrimir. Or trying to dig Meg out of the massive hole she starts in.

If anyone could show me a list of weaknesses (including most basic one, like the triangle of... weapon?) it'd be appreciated. (tired to lose a game because I didn't look more into a random ennemy that one shots me)

1 hour ago, mariogamer said:

If anyone could show me a list of weaknesses (including most basic one, like the triangle of... weapon?) it'd be appreciated. (tired to lose a game because I didn't look more into a random ennemy that one shots me)

First off, the weapon triangle:

• Swords beat axes
  • Axes best lances
  • Lances beat swords

Then there's effective damage:

• Bows and wind magic are effective against flying units (pegasus knights, bird laguz; for whatever reason, despite being flying units, dracoknights don't take effective damage from these, instead taking effective damage from thunder magic)
  • Fire magic and the Beast Killer are effective against beast laguz
  • Thunder magic and Wyrmslayers are effective against dracoknights and dragon tribe laguz
  • The Horseslayer is effective against cavalry (including Mist's promoted class, Valkyrie)
  • The Hammer is effective against armored units
  • Thani (Micaiah's exclusive tome) is effective against both cavalry and armored units

Also of note, there are skills that allow the user to do effective damage against laguz units of a specific type (Beastfoe, Dragonfoe, Birdfoe); it's worth noting that those only work if the unit is transformed.

Last and definitely least is the magic triangle:

• Thunder beats fire
  • Fire beats wind
  • Wind beats thunder
  • All anima types beat light
  • Light beats dark
  • Dark beats anima
Edited by Shadow Mir

If this can be of any help, Radiant Dawn allows saving at anytime if you're not playing Hard Mode. You can do it by opening the map menu and selecting the "Battle Save" option. You won't get kicked back to the titlescreen, and you can reload that save as many times as you want. 

15 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The Horseslayer is effective against cavalry (including Mist's promoted class, Valkyrie)

I read on a wiki that Mist (well, her class, but she's the only one) is actually immune to this effect, is that an error?

Also, where are the occult scrolls in this games? (or an equivalent item)

37 minutes ago, mariogamer said:

Also, where are the occult scrolls in this games? (or an equivalent item)

Beorc get their Mastery skills when they promote to a third tier class, so and Laguz have to use Satori Signs at level 30+, so there kinda aren't any.