Borrowing A Copy Of Conquest For A Few Months. Any General Tips/Advice?

Hawkwing

Short story shorter: I'm borrowing my cousin's copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for a few months (her "borrowing" my copy of Kid Icarus: Uprising for five years may or may not have anything to do with it), and I'm curious if there are any general tips or advice I should know before diving in.

For reference, I have completed ironman runs of Awakening on both the Normal and Hard difficulties (and the first Normal run was technically a no-grinding run, even if in truth I did it four times. To be fair, two of them were getting to shops that I wanted to buy from, and another was to test out support facts from the site), as well as Echoes on Normal and Hard (does it count as an ironman if everyone survived and I never resetted, but still used the turnwheel?).  I've also tried Mystery of the Emblem, Blazing Sword, and Sacred Stones, but my emulator crapping out prevented me from getting far in any of them. I have experience with this series, but I'm not all that knowledgeable on the specifics of what Fates does differently. I know that they changed how pair-up works, the reclassing system is expanded upon, there are still children, and weapons don't have durability but instead have drawbacks, but other than that I know next to nothing about Fates.

Also, is there anything I should brace myself in regards to the story, supports, and characters? I don't want spoilers, but I know that Fates is infamous for its... let's say lackluster story, and I want to know what to prepare myself for. This is coming from the guy that thought that Awakenings story was alright (personally believe it's over-hated, but at the end of the day it's merely average) and that its cast and supports are underrated (although I can understand why some don't feel/think the same way). I also liked Echoes plot (although I will also be among the first to admit that it is very, very flawed) and enjoyed the characters. I admit I don't have the highest hopes with Fates in the writing department, but I'm also going to decide for myself how good or bad its quality is.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo

Mekkkah advises playing on normal. I think hard is doable with a lot of resets, you get a little further each time. However, I'm persistent and despise failure, so don't take my desire to not seem weak while playing my anime waifu simulator prevent you from going through the game at a more fluid pace.

A support Kaze

You will get to choose whether or not to kill a guy named Shura. Don't kill him.

Gunter has absurd growths

Conquest has a story of, uh...
"heheh i will kill baby"
"no do not kill baby also i am corrin"
"do not stop killing baby or i will make you be kill"
*Someone kills baby or some contrived nonsense happens to absolve Corrin of any moral responsibility*
"oh no baby also i am corrin"
"you did your best corrin"
"thank you uncomfortably sexualized sibling"
"now corrin daddy wants you to get me more babies"
"maybe if i bring daddy babies i can convince him to not kill babies"
Repeat.

Personally I don't recommend marrying the sibling characters or Azura or Gunter. Maybe just take a vow of chastity, I have yet to bother with child characters.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

A support Kaze

This is important for Birthright, not Conquest, it doesn't apply here. 

You will get to choose whether or not to kill a guy named Shura. Don't kill him.

Do kill him, you get boots, as a unit Shura is meh. Spare him only if you desperately need a unit with locktouch or a healer. 

Gunter has absurd growths

Absurd as in they wouldn't be out of place in FE1

Pair-up is super busted, so if you want the game to actually be hard (subjective), don't use it. 

Use Jakob/Felicia's heal staff at every opportunity for chapters 2 and 3, as they get a free new one later. 

In chapter 4 make sure the Godess icon, both Vulneraries and the Concotion are on Corrin. 

Rinkah is an XP thief, as is Kaze until the route split. 

In ironman Rinkah and Sakura can die and it's fine, protect Azura at all costs. 

In chapter 6 Elise's staves can be used as much as you want as she gets new staves when she rejoins. Also in this chapter the royals gain no xp so finish foes with Corrin and Felicia/Jakob

The bronze weapons in this game are absolutely awful, it's probably a good idea to only focus on 1 weapon for each unit solely because of how awful it is to have to buy and use a bunch of bronze axes, the exception is the bow as flier advantage is a good investment. 

Azura can only get to C lances as a songstress, so just keep the brass naginata on her for the extra defences and focus on singing. 

Butler/Maid is not that great of a class and promoting to them is a bad idea, S staves only gets you this games Aum staff and daggers are just awful weapons, however flame shuriken felicia murders everything, with her insane Mag. 

Xander and Camilla are both extremely powerful units, Leo is less formidable but still should have some utility, the games other pre-promoted units are very bad. 

Niles has the capture skill, so build a prison and capture some enemies, especially some of the late game ones as they are probably better than most of your army. 

Fully upgrade the Fire Orb and the Hotspring and you can unlock Flora and Izana respectively. 

Kaze is pretty much the only unit who can use a soldier's knife (brave dagger)

In the smithy you can use the Ore swap to trade 5 of one ore for 1 of a different kind. 

The arena gives no xp or gold, only food and ore. 

If you use M!Corrin, unless they S-support with a Corrinsexual (only able to S-support Corrin) or a child character, you will not be able to recruit all child characters. (Exactly 1 too few non Corrin exclusive female partners) 

Niles/M!Corrin will not produce any children.

Edited by Pengaius
Some more stuff

8 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Pair-up is super busted, so if you want the game to actually be hard (subjective), don't use it. 

This isn't Awakening - pairing up everyone doesn't solve everything.

Anyway...

Avoid Arthur, Nyx and Charlotte - they SUCK.

Child paralogue get harder as the game progresses. In particular, it's a bad idea to wait until they exclusively use promoted enemies. ESPECIALLY in the case of Ignatius.

Reclass Camilla to Wyvern Lord immediately after the chapter you get her - the Malig Knight class isn't that good and doesn't offer much.

Berserker Charolette with the Killer Axe hits hard if she has the WTA, otherwise she's an liability. You can get around 300 gold by feeding Lilith and fighting online to advance the clock. It's probably best to get an discount with your armories because...you know...it's Conquest. Speaking of weaponry, Bronze/Brass is shit because they can't crit or trigger Sol and Luna. Steel reduces your speed an little bit. And Silver gradually lower your stats if you keep fighting with it. Effie is great for killing mages and ninjas, but the other knights weren't exactly as broken as her, in my experience. And if you're going to recruit Forrest, spare an Entrap and a swordsman.

5 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Berserker Charolette is a wtfmassive liability.

Fix'd for accuracy. And this is ignoring the fact that trying to raise her is far more trouble than it's worth because she comes underleveled.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, Pengaius said:

it's not busted, it's been rebalanced completely, it's a whole lot better because now it's reliable and the enemy has access to it to

15 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Short story shorter: I'm borrowing my cousin's copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for a few months (her "borrowing" my copy of Kid Icarus: Uprising for five years may or may not have anything to do with it), and I'm curious if there are any general tips or advice I should know before diving in.

My advice, play Conquest on Hard difficulty and Casual mode.
Why Hard? Because the difficulty setting defines the enemy skill set, and the changes from Normal to Hard are dramatic, but only marginal from Hard to Lunatic. Thus, if you tried the game on Normal and liked it, attempting Hard or Lunatic is playing an entirely different (and way more difficult) game.

Awakening is a cakewalk when compared to Conquest. Depending on what you are looking for, you will very much prefer one or the other. In my opinion, they target different audiences; one is a JRPG and the other is a tactical one.

Do not bother that much with re-classing on your first campaign, just choose among your character's default options (a Knight promotes into a Great Knight or a General; a Dark Mage, into a Sorcerer or Dark Knight, and so on.) An easy, safe recommendation for Cornflakes is +Magic -Luck as Nohr Noble.

Try different characters for a couple of chapters to see how they perform on the field and how much you like (or dislike) their portrayal, but focus on a core team. This is very important because you cannot grind Experience or Gold in Conquest.
The royal siblings are overpowered to ease your campaign, but Conquest is beatable with ten (and most likely less) units, both on Hard and Conquest, without using the royals. Thus, do not feel forced to rely on them (other than on Camilla on her joining chapter, for it is balanced considering her.)

All units provide bonuses when paired-up. Pay attention to these bonuses for they are not only useful but necessary on various instances. That being said, 'backpacks' are unnecessary.
What is a 'backpack'? A unit which is barely (and most likely never) used in real combat and who is early promoted to maximise their pair-up bonuses and then 'glued' to one of your main units to make the latter more powerful.

Just like the pair-up bonuses, Meals and Tonics are busted. They are free or super cheap bonuses than can change the tide of the battle.

Ore is necessary to forge stronger weapons, and an ore source is given to you at the start. One can exchange five samples of the same ore for a sample of a different one, and different ore is also one of the many Lottery prizes. Later, you will be able to increase any food ingredient or ore by betting and fighting on the Arena.
Ore is scarce by design because a +2 Iron forge is relevant the whole game.

You will often read that Meals and Ore, being random, are not worth it. Well, they are the very same people who skipped Economy class in High School and, somehow, ignore that having a +1 of anything is infinitely better than having nothing at all. For the very same reason, visit and upgrade the Lottery as often as possible, it will always give you a prize.

15 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I don't want spoilers, but I know that Fates is infamous for its... let's say lackluster story, and I want to know what to prepare myself for.

That is easy: The storytelling is silly as fuck. But if the gameplay clicks on you, it is so engaging and challenging that it will make you come back, again and again.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

This isn't Awakening - pairing up everyone doesn't solve everything.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

it's not busted, it's been rebalanced completely, it's a whole lot better because now it's reliable and the enemy has access to it to

While not as busted as Awakening's, thanks to the separation of strikes and guards, Fates Pair up still gives hefty stat boosts, especially to lovers and allows the player to reliably block attacks, even with earlygame and no support pairings, outlaws and ninjas can give mov boosts from the word go, the ability to switch attackers and defenders is helpful as always, and the huge boost to support growth speed allows you to unlock new paralogues in as little as 8 maps, without having to wait for 13 chapters of story before child characters to be available. It's not as powerful as awakenings version but is still quite capable of snapping the game in half with the right units. 

1 hour ago, starburst said:

You will often read that Meals and Ore, being random, are not worth it. Well, they are the very same people who skipped Economy class in High School and, somehow, ignore that having a +1 of anything is infinitely better than having nothing at all. For the very same reason, visit and upgrade the Lottery as often as possible, it will always give you a prize.

Not all resources are created equal. It's simple as that. I'm not as likely to care about using the mess hall often on a file where my food resource is berries, which increase magic when used in meals, because it's virtually a guarantee that I won't be reaping much benefit unless I heavily favour magic, which is highly unlikely since most of the mages in this game are lackluster.

Well, you madmen convinced me to play on Hard Casual for my first run through of the game. Thanks for the advice.

So, summarized:

- Pre-route split, Corrin kills everything and gets all the equipment. Also, abuse staves because you'll get new ones later.

- Sparing or killing Shura depends upon whether I want another unit or his boots.

- Pair-up is powerful, but not as much as in Awakening.

- Royals are strong but not a necessity.

- Axe users may or may not be worthwhile.

- Food and stat bonuses are actually useful.

- Forging uses ore. And since weapons can't break, it's a good idea to forge when possible.

- Don't wait to do child paralogues.

- Bronze weapons suck, and Silver weapons have significant debuffs.

- Invest in capturing, as it can be worthwhile.

- The story... I'll just brace myself.

Anything else?

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

- Pre-route split, Corrin kills everything and gets all the equipment. Also, abuse staves because you'll get new ones later.

Any item granted during the first six chapters is moved to your inventory even if you do not transfer it manually. Let us say that an ally gives you a healing item or gets a reward from an enemy but you did not actually use these items nor transfer them to Corrin, they will still appear in your inventory at the end of Chapter 6.
Conversely, you cannot keep items and weapons that were originally in other allies's inventories (like in some Final Fantasy games) during the introductory chapters. So do not bother transferring all the equipment to Corrin.

And you should abuse staves until mid-game. Your main healer should be at least at the same level than the rest of your party, and most likely over-levelled (so that they can promote earlier and contribute to the attack.) Staves are their only source of Experience points for 13-14 chapters.

- Sparing or killing Shura depends upon whether I want another unit or his boots.

When I spare Shura, I actually do it for his equipment and not for him as a unit. He is your only access to a second Killing Bow for at least four more chapters, and he also has a useful Staff for your healer. Boots are naturally more valuable than these two items, but I often prefer the Killer Bow since it grants considerably more kills to my Sniper(s).

Camilla mainly uses axes, and she will be your most powerful unit for as long as you use her. And Berserker Effie, Hero Silas and axe-wielding Velouria are great, powerful units too.
The problem lies with the default axe users, and I would argue that the 'problems' are actually external to them: Fighter's first skill exchanges 10 Hit for 10 Crit, one of these axe units joins under levelled and only has average Skill, and other axe units have high Skill growths but are overshadowed by their teammates.

Do not sell all Bronze weapons, though. After re-classing, most of your units will be able to wield one or two more weapons at E-rank, which forces you to use Bronze or Raider weapons (random drops in My Castle.)

- Invest in capturing, as it can be worthwhile.

Captured units are super handy, but if you are playing blind, you will not know what type of unit you should capture to ease further chapters. We can tell you which mini-bosses are worth capturing and adding to your main party, but the captured utility units depend on your style, party composition and progress.
Remember that if you want to use Capture, you must train Niles during the whole campaign.

Anything else?

1. Check. Enemy. Skills.
They will kill you.

2. Rinse and repeat. Honestly, you should embrace re-starting chapters (or whole campaigns) to try better, different approaches. The more mistakes you make and lessons you get, the better player you will be.

Edited by starburst

- Bronze weapons suck,

While they suck they aren't useless, they give +10 crit avoid, and are very accurate, so against some high crit or high avoid enemies they may be your best bet, and they can be easily forged to reach more reasonable damage.

- Axe users may or may not be worthwhile

I have always seen it as the foot axe don't get good until they promote. The other axe wielder like Wyverns are fine as is.

There are some benefits to doing them later, as the children's starting level scales with where you are in the story, and if you are far enough they come with free promotion items that send them from level 20 unpromoted to what ever scaled promoted level they should be (so free promotion and xp for them), but the paralogues get really hard if you wait too long, and Shadow Mir's warning about doing Ignatius's paralogue early (if at all) should not be ignored.

- Pair-up is powerful, but not as much as in Awakening.

I prefer to have units upaired as much as I can, as it lets you get extra hits (for half damage) from an adjacent ally with an attack stance, it gives you more actions per turn, and having units start the turn unpaired lets you take full advantage of the amazing mobility option that come about by having the option to freely pairup. If units start unpaired they can move to pairup, then have that other unit move and then transfer their partner to another (who if they haven't moved can move that first unit even further) and get an attack stance with their action, or separate, or switch to let the one that paired act, or after switching transfer their former partner to take advantage of an attack stance hit, or the ability of an unpaired unit to transfer units out of a pairing to then either switch to let them act, or separate them out to a strategic position, or just maintain mobility. Being Paired does let you take a lot more hits, as it not only gives you regular and predictable perfect blocks, but it also lets you ignore enemy attack stance hits; it also lets you reach important stat benchmarks, which can be critical, but do not ignore the value of being unpaired.

Anything else?

47 minutes ago, starburst said:

1. Check. Enemy. Skills.
They will kill you.

I just wanted to emphasize this as it is the most important thing that hasn't been mentioned in your recap.

19 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Not really - thanks to the way experience works in this game (I will note that the experience formula is harsher on higher level units in this game compared to previous games), that won't really help them that much.

- Food and stat bonuses are actually useful.

True enough, but like I said, not all resources are created equal. And unlike with ores, you cannot exchange foods for a more desirable one, meaning you might not get as much use out of the mess hall if you wind up with berries or cabbage (and this is ignoring the randomness factor attached to it; to elaborate, when a meal is cooked, only half of your army benefits from the stat boosts attached to the meal [said stat boosts are dependent on the ingredients used; at level 2, you can use two ingredients to cook]; this randomness factor doesn't go away until the mess hall hits level 3, which won't be for a majority of the game. Also of note, some characters are bad cooks and can make dishes that actually decrease your units' stats!).

Camilla is likely to be one of your best units, especially if reclassed to Wyvern Lord ASAP. Most of the rest, on the other hand, are far less likely to be all-stars, especially Arthur and Charlotte (the former has a crit problem, as in he is most likely to make like a frog and croak because some grunt got a crit in thanks to his nonexistent luck, which isn't helped by his personal skill also making him more susceptible to critical hits; the latter comes underleveled and not very long before the game takes the kid gloves off, which would be chapter 18; one of those chapters beforehand limits you to using Corrin, Azura, and Gunter as well, so this is even worse than it sounds).

The first part isn't necessarily true. But I will mention that aside from the stat drops silver weapons apply whenever used, they also lower your crit evade.

17 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Shadow Mir's warning about doing Ignatius's paralogue early (if at all) should not be ignored.

To expound upon this, Ignatius is Benny's son, and his paralogue has him defending a village that enemies advance on. Some of the enemies that attack him are ninjas, a class type that uses shurikens, a new weapon type that lowers stats when an enemy is hit with them (by the way, daggers are the Nohrian equivalent to shurikens); ninjas also tend to have a skill that deals damage to their target when they initiate combat. If you wait too long, odds are Ignatius will die before you can get to him; you lose if the enemy gets to the village he's guarding, by the way.

Anything else?

18 hours ago, starburst said:

1. Check. Enemy. Skills.
They will kill you.

I would emphasize this because it's important. Also, check enemy equipment - if you see an exclamation point over an enemy's head, either they have a high crit weapon or they have a weapon that's effective against your unit. What's more, a good Corrin is mandatory if you don't want to hit a wall in the lategame (spoiler alert: you'll run into a duel late in the game). Another thing to note is that the servant who joins you early is the opposite gender of your Corrin. Other things to note that weren't mentioned earlier:

• Dark magic was nerfed - now there's only one dark spell (Nosferatu), which took a beating with the nerf bat (it cannot follow up, crit, or activate offensive skills)
  • Mages in general aren't as good as they were in Awakening
  • The weapon triangle is now Red > Green  > Blue >  Red (should sound familiar if you played Pokemon; anyway, swords and tomes are red weapons, axes and bows are green weapons, and lances and shurikens are blue weapons)
  • Brave weapons and killer weapons got nerfed - both have iron level might, the former only attacks twice on your turn, and they either drop your defenses or halve your unit's strength (or magic, in the case of Snake Spirit) after attacking; the latter tends to not be very reliable as to be worth it in most situations
  • Only one class can achieve S rank proficiency in each weapon type (two for swords and tomes if you count DLC classes) - Swordmaster, Spear Master, Berserker, Sniper, Sorcerer, Master Ninja, and Maid/Butler are those classes. With DLC, you can add Lodestar and Witch. However, you won't get the S rank bow, sword, lance or shuriken in Conquest. And you probably won't get much, if any, use out of the S rank axe, tome or staff either (the S rank staff can revive a unit... except it's rather limited, as you can only revive a unit that died in the current battle, and you don't get a choice in that case; you can only revive the most recently fallen unit).
Edited by Shadow Mir

12 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Not kills everything, just most things, throw Felicia/Jakob a kill or 2 here and there, if they can't kill, they can chip, and for the one pre route split chapter if you can give Azura a kill without any risks, do as it's better exp. 

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Not really - thanks to the way experience works in this game (I will note that the experience formula is harsher on higher level units in this game compared to previous games), that won't really help them that much.

While the exp formula will curb their level, Corrin still learns Dragon Fang (a pretty strong proc skill) at level 10 and the most of other units with you early on don't need exp, any and all exp that goes to them, is exp that Corrin loses out on and could have made better use of either by gaining levels, or removing themselves (by which I mean just staying away from combat, they can't be undeployed) from low level battles, allowing your other units to get the exp instead. 

11 hours ago, starburst said:

Any item granted during the first six chapters is moved to your inventory even if you do not transfer it manually. Let us say that an ally gives you a healing item or gets a reward from an enemy but you did not actually use these items nor transfer them to Corrin, they will still appear in your inventory at the end of Chapter 6.
Conversely, you cannot keep items and weapons that were originally in other allies's inventories (like in some Final Fantasy games) during the introductory chapters. So do not bother transferring all the equipment to Corrin.

Adding to this Corrin only has 3 open inventory slots for (directly) pre-route split items while there are 5 items they can get 1 Concoction, 2 Vulneraries, a Godess icon and a HP tonic, they should go into Corrin's inventory straight away anyways, as the two controllable combat allies are best left out of combat, (both for exp gain and that they make better pair bots than fighters) the icon goes straight in so you don't have to waste time trading it later, and the healing items as they are more useful on Corrin than anybody else and if Corrin doesn't use the icon one of the Vulneraries has to get dumped, so use it while is there the hp tonic is pointless as transfer, (while statboosting tonics are very good to have, at this point healing items can benefit more units and are just more useful to have in the convoy, or in an inventory)  have Corrin or you club user chug it immediately, but don't throw away anything to get the tonic. 

13 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Nina's (Niles' daughter) paralogue is one of those good to do early ones as it's one of the few (possibly the only) to feature treasure chests, one of which has a 1-2 range magic bow which is kinda cool, also some gold. 

Its a good idea to not do any child paralogues until you get Camilla, (it's hard to unlock child paralogues before this point, but is still possible) 

12 hours ago, starburst said:

1. Check. Enemy. Skills.
They will kill you.

Check. Enemy. Skills. They WILL kill you. Seriously this cannot be emphasised enough, the enemies especially late game ones, often carry multiple seal skills, proc skills, rally skills and op BS skills unavailable to the player. 

Some notes about Enemy AI

-They always prioritize attacking things that cannot retaliate, often times even ignoring units they could kill otherwise

-They will never attack something they do zero damage to unless they have skills such as Poison Strike or debuff skills, or the thing they're doing zero damage to can't retaliate (which is dumb because it just wastes time but whatever).

-Enemy's that aren't paired up will generally always try to dual attack if possible.

Other than that; Use tonics. They can be used pre-battle and give handy stat buffs, they're also cheap as fuck. Use them to shore up stats that are bad or make good stats better.

1 minute ago, joshcja said:

Use Odin.

Equip Nos.

????

Win game.

Ez.

I thought Odin was bad or am I thinking of Revelations 

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

Use Odin.
EquipNos.
????
Win game.
Ez.
This applies to any difficulty.
Everything else is just window dressing.

He, he, he.
Do not spoil them the game. Let them believe that one has other options.

23 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have always seen it as the foot axe don't get good until they promote.

The problem I have with this is, is it really a good choice to invest in a unit that sucks massively before they promote??? I would think not.

Anyway, another thing to mention - evade is not nearly as reliable as in prior games, so a sturdy unit is a must if you don't want to tear your hair out in frustration. Personally, I recommend +HP/-Skill Corrin for this. Speaking of Corrin, unlike was the case with Robin in Awakening, Corrin cannot reclass into every class - you can only pick one class as your talent during creation, which will be your alternate class (and the class Corrin passes down to their spouse and child). While I'm on the subject of reclassing, unlike in Awakening, most units only have one alternate class line besides their starting class. Second, unit levels will not reset when you reclass.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

The problem I have with this is, is it really a good choice to invest in a unit that sucks massively before they promote??? I would think not.

Conquest doesn't get hard until after your units are starting to promote, and even before that the foot axes don't need much investment to be on par. Arthur really needs a bronze axe, preferably forged, for him to be alright early on. The only reason Charlotte doesn't start good is her low level start, feed her enough kills to catch her up, and she is a good unit (I find its usually close to promotion time for her to get there without dedicated training). The difficulty of Conquest is far more back loaded, unlike most Fire Emblems where it is front loaded, so training infantry axes during the easier early game to get some extra power in the difficult late game seems perfectly reasonable.

Which reminds me I generally suggest +Speed/-Luck for Corrins. Speed is just such a generally good stat that aids in both offense, and defense, and the -Luck is far less of a penalty with the first stat booster being a goddess icon, and the +10 crit avoid of dragon stones and bronze weapons as options for dealing with the times you would otherwise want higher luck.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

12 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Nina's (Niles' daughter) paralogue is one of those good to do early ones as it's one of the few (possibly the only) to feature treasure chests, one of which has a 1-2 range magic bow which is kinda cool, also some gold. 

- "The chosen heroine arrives... and with more star blessings than usual!"

I mean, hers is the epitome of Paralogue Treasures. It is rather odd that you forgot to mention it.
- "Take this maiden seriously!"

22 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Conquest doesn't get hard until after your units are starting to promote, and even before that the foot axes don't need much investment to be on par. Arthur really needs a bronze axe, preferably forged, for him to be alright early on. The only reason Charlotte doesn't start good is her low level start, feed her enough kills to catch her up, and she is a good unit (I find its usually close to promotion time for her to get there without dedicated training). The difficulty of Conquest is far more back loaded, unlike most Fire Emblems where it is front loaded, so training infantry axes during the easier early game to get some extra power in the difficult late game seems perfectly reasonable.

Which reminds me I generally suggest +Speed/-Luck for Corrins. Speed is just such a generally good stat that aids in both offense, and defense, and the -Luck is far less of a penalty with the first stat booster being a goddess icon, and the +10 crit avoid of dragon stones and bronze weapons as options for dealing with the times you would otherwise want higher luck.

I would strongly disagree here - Charlotte is far too much trouble to raise just to get a glass cannon unit, aka the exact type of unit this game is not friendly to. Especially since she joins not long before the game decides it's done toying around (personally, my units promote around chapter 16 or so - unless I favored Charlotte at the expense of superior units, AKA literally everyone else, there's no way in the seven hells she's gonna be ready to promote by then.

23 minutes ago, starburst said:

I mean, hers is the epitome of Paralogue Treasures. It is rather odd that you forgot to mention it.

While you do get some good utility tomes, it's still just that, tomes, which kinda suck in this game (all magic weapons do really even the shining bow is bad as a weapon by its own merits) 

Nina's Paralogue gives the aforementioned shining bow, which while being a shitty magic weapon, is still good against fliers, and allows Niles to capture bow users without retaliation as well as make it easier to capture physical enemies with more def than Niles' squat attack (mainly generals and knights and whatnot) as well as some money, and a goddess icon (there's also a partner seal but that's pretty much just more money tbh)

Magic bow as a weapon < Tomes

Capture utility from Magic bow > Tomes

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would strongly disagree here - Charlotte is far too much trouble to raise just to get a glass cannon unit, aka the exact type of unit this game is not friendly to. Especially since she joins not long before the game decides it's done toying around (personally, my units promote around chapter 16 or so - unless I favored Charlotte at the expense of superior units, AKA literally everyone else, there's no way in the seven hells she's gonna be ready to promote by then.

Just dump her on Xander for 8 maps and then yeet her back to the bench, or promote her and use her as an offence backpack. Although she can throw a mean hand axe and that's not nothin. 

14 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The difficulty of Conquest is far more back loaded, unlike most Fire Emblems where it is front loaded, so training infantry axes during the easier early game to get some extra power in the difficult late game seems perfectly reasonable.

Somewhat related to this, and talking about actual gameplay: Conquest is heavily Player-Phase based. There is only one open-field map, so one does not really need that many Wall units. What one does need is raw power on their turn, to push forward and advance. This is why Berserkers, Sorcerers, Snipers, pair-up bonuses, Tonics, Meals and Auras are so good. If one tries to hold the enemies for too long, one inexorably dies. And most 1-2 weapons were made less powerful (except Sigfried [and Rajinto], which is severely broken.)

19 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Just dump her on Xander for 8 maps and then yeet her back to the bench, or promote her and use her as an offence backpack. Although she can throw a mean hand axe and that's not nothin. 

Ha. A "mean hand axe" is definitely nothin when you don't have the accuracy to back it up, like Miss Whiffsalot here...

Edited by Shadow Mir