Who Should I Let Get Captured?

Rezzy

I'm at the end of Chapter 19 in Thracia 776, which I understand is the last escape chapter before the Gaiden that requires me to have let someone get captured to access it.  I was thinking of leaving MIranda behind to teach her a lesson for being so rude to me when I rescued her the first time.  I used her to recruit Conomer this chapter already.  I won't miss anything by putting her in time-out for a few maps, will I?  If she's needed for something, my next choice would be Shiva, and if he's needed for something, I've got other possible candidates, but Miranda is my first choice.

In this context of this, no, you're not missing out on anything from letting Miranda get captured after recruiting Conomore. I probably would've done the same if I had gone the B route, but I went A route, so it's just sort of whatever for me.

As for who I let get captured when I was playing the game, I let Selfina get captured after she got the Brave Bow from Glade in Ch. 13, cuz I wasn't gonna use her for anything else.

Yeah, you won't miss anything leaving Miranda behind. It's recommended to just let one of your weak, untrained units get captured since chapter 21x has a lot of really good treasure. IIRC the only character with an event between 19 and 21x is

Spoiler

Linoan, who promotes in chapter 21 if you visit the church with her

Cool, looks like it's safe to leave Miranda behind then.  Hopefully, she'll be a bit more appreciative when I get her back.

I picked one of the cavalry boys from Selphina's squad, since I neglected using them. There's just 2 tough maps after chapter 19, no chapter related character requirements for them, so anybody could be captured in Chapter 19 - who's inventory is empty and not part of your main squad I'd say. I went on the Sleuf/Misha route, so I don't know how good Miranda is.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

I picked one of the cavalry boys from Selphina's squad, since I neglected using them. There's just 2 tough maps after chapter 19, no chapter related character requirements for them, so anybody could be captured in Chapter 19 - who's inventory is empty and not part of your main squad I'd say. I went on the Sleuf/Misha route, so I don't know how good Miranda is.

She isn't good. The problem with Miranda isn't necessarily just the fact that she joins late and underleveled, but also her class. Miranda promotes to Mage Knight instead of Sage, so she can't benefit from the sage class's promotion gains or staff utility. There's also the fact that the units you recruit on the A route are much better than the units you recruit on the B route.