Random Thracia 776 Musings

Rezzy

Since there's no "General Thracia 776" thread, I thought I'd post this here.  I've been playing FE5 lately, currently on chapter 19, but since hardly anyone else has played it, I've had no one to talk to about it.

Something I found funny.

FE5017.png?width=230&height=201

Xavier said this right after brutally murdering one of his men that had turned Green a turn before.  It seems their trust was indeed misplaced.

Xavier is love. Xavier is fun to recruit. I just find something funny in a map which is easy, and its only challenge comes from recruiting a character and the Member Card, but that is so not worth it. Xavier stands just north of center of the semi-symmetrical map. He is the axis mundi of Chapter 18.

Fortunately, he didn't kill any of his underlings for me. I baited them all out to the west side of the map, and then far from Xavier, had them one by one put into slumber with the Sleep Edge. There is a weird thing where allies can't talk with sleeping enemies, but NPCs can. The Leonster Armors must be selective sleeptalkers.

Just space out the Leonster Armors, and as long as you don't accidentally kill them while trying to give each a slash of Sleep, you'll have a relatively safe and easy Xavier recruitment solution.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Xavier is love. Xavier is fun to recruit. I just find something funny in a map which is easy, and its only challenge comes from recruiting a character and the Member Card, but that is so not worth it. Xavier stands just north of center of the semi-symmetrical map. He is the axis mundi of Chapter 18.

Fortunately, he didn't kill any of his underlings for me. I baited them all out to the west side of the map, and then far from Xavier, had them one by one put into slumber with the Sleep Edge. There is a weird thing where allies can't talk with sleeping enemies, but NPCs can. The Leonster Armors must be selective sleeptalkers.

Just space out the Leonster Armors, and as long as you don't accidentally kill them while trying to give each a slash of Sleep, you'll have a relatively safe and easy Xavier recruitment solution.

I didn't think of putting them to sleep, since I didn't realize the hostages could still talk to them.  I managed to recruit him, since keeping the armors alive after having the talk to the respective hostages isn't a requirement, thankfully, since they love trying to kill each other after they turn green.

I also did manage to get the member card, since the soldiers are all pretty weak, and not too hard to catch and release.

The hardest part of this map was having the party split in two without an easy way to pick who went where, so my two "teams" were pretty imbalanced.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I also did manage to get the member card, since the soldiers are all pretty weak, and not too hard to catch and release.

Catch and release works on them? I didn't know that! Darned, I coulda saved them then and met with sweet little old Anna later down the line! I'll definitely have to go for it on my next run. Xavier and the Member Card will be mine!

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

The hardest part of this map was having the party split in two without an easy way to pick who went where, so my two "teams" were pretty imbalanced.

Are you aware of the reposition add-on for the new translation? It helps, if not as easily usable as FE6 and beyond repositioning. You can still apply it if you want to.

Geez, the "allies can't talk to sleeping enemies" cost me a chapter reset when I was trying not to have Shiva crit me to death and to get Safiya over to him in time while running through the woods in chapter 7. But the Xavier recruitment (though it's Kaga's Wild Ride at its most excruciating) is actually one of my favorite bits of 776. Strategizing around not committing large amounts of murder in a game where (by that point) it's what you're best at is actually... really enjoyable? It's like a breath of fresh air. And yeah, the new patch repositioning is a godsend, I highly recommend it, especially if you're new to the game.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Catch and release works on them? I didn't know that! Darned, I coulda saved them then and met with sweet little old Anna later down the line! I'll definitely have to go for it on my next run. Xavier and the Member Card will be mine!

Are you aware of the reposition add-on for the new translation? It helps, if not as easily usable as FE6 and beyond repositioning. You can still apply it if you want to.

I didn't know that patch was a thing.  I'll have to look into it.