Lost some of my chickens tonight

Captain Karnage

well, I wish I didn't have to make this, but I just want to vent a little

I leave for 5 minutes to take a shower and when I get out to lock them up I come out to several piles of feathers

here's some pictures of my chicks

i3nel7O.jpg

between the two the white silkie is gone, I found her in the bushes a while ago

the black frizzle rooster I'm unsure if he's still alive, I'm hopeful between the birds I lost tonight I did not find one of his feathers

I lost the big white rooster in this one, from what I found it looks like he put up some kind of fight with whatever animal came after them

I also lost one of my Rhode Island Reds, I just don't know who, as it's too late to tell

srFn8b2.jpg

The little brown one in here is the sole survivor of her flock, I hope she can integrate with the main flock

I'll miss them

Edited by Captain Karnage

Just now, Rezzy said:

I'm sorry, what happened?  Did an animal get in?

well, they put themselves up at nigh, so before I went out to lock them up I took a shower and when I came out the little brown one ran up to me, and she walked me towards a pile of feathers.

They were out when they got attacked

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

well, they put themselves up at nigh, so before I went out to lock them up I took a shower and when I came out the little brown one ran up to me, and she walked me towards a pile of feathers.

They were out when they got attacked

I'm sorry, that's terrible.  Losing a pet always hurts.  I lost one of my birds last fall, suddenly, and he wasn't that old.

My condolences.

As someone whose dog died a little over a week ago, (he was 15, it was inevitable, but he was healthy until it just came late at night), I can sympathize to some extent. This is much worse than that though, since this was by no means of natural causes.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'm sorry for your loss given my own little gang of chickens. Though they have two labs that they hang around with when they're out (they made friends after a fox tried to get into the cage one night. Go figure, the labs hate foxes, and it proved a bonding experience)

56 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm sorry, that's terrible.  Losing a pet always hurts.  I lost one of my birds last fall, suddenly, and he wasn't that old.

Yeah... one of my roosters just kind of keeled over one night in february at the young age of 1. I had two, they were like brothers. The other one just kind of mourned him. He's now got 3 hens to look after, and the roosters did both love the dogs, so he was never alone. Indeed one of the dogs just sat staring at the grave for an hour after the little fellow was buried like he'd lost his own pup.

I'm sorry for your loss.  Hope you figure out whatever it is attacked your birds, because I doubt it'll leave them alone.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm sorry for your loss.  Hope you figure out whatever it is attacked your birds, because I doubt it'll leave them alone.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you can figure out whatever got to them so you can at least get rid of it.

I'm setting up some traps for tonight, even if I get 1 animal it'll be one less threat

Also, I'm down 1 hen, but I'm up 1 rooster. That little brown one started crowing this morning, he's almost 6 months old that's really late

looks like I'm not getting bantam eggs now 

______

seeing as how I have 2 broody hens I might just go out and slide a couple of baby chicks under one of them tonight

it's the saddest thing. I once came home to a coyote attack and boy that's not fun... chicken keeping has its really sad risks : ( you have all my sympathy karnage 

is that a light sussex in the second picture? the feathering is gorgeous

I thought you weren't allowed to have roosters where you live? You said in previous posts, or implied. Figured out you could, I assume?

Good luck finding whatever the culprit is. I always feel sad in situations like this. On one side you have domesticated, basically walking meat dishes that have no way to defend themselves and it's horrible for them, on the other side you have predators that found out how to get easy meals and will keep coming back and likely have to be killed themselves so it stops. 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:14 PM, Dragoncat said:

I thought you weren't allowed to have roosters where you live? You said in previous posts, or implied. Figured out you could, I assume?

Good luck finding whatever the culprit is. I always feel sad in situations like this. On one side you have domesticated, basically walking meat dishes that have no way to defend themselves and it's horrible for them, on the other side you have predators that found out how to get easy meals and will keep coming back and likely have to be killed themselves so it stops. 

I'm not in the restricted zoning, funny enough thou right across the main road from where I live is

On 7/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, Specta said:

it's the saddest thing. I once came home to a coyote attack and boy that's not fun... chicken keeping has its really sad risks : ( you have all my sympathy karnage 

is that a light sussex in the second picture? the feathering is gorgeous

When I bought him he was in one of those tin tubs and was labeled as a silver laced wyandotte, I think Rual King bamboozled me 

3 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Advanced issues found

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

When I bought him he was in one of those tin tubs and was labeled as a silver laced wyandotte, I think Rual King bamboozled me 

i kept wyandottes and my instinct is you were slightly bamboozled or he's mixed, since he looks an awful lot like a sussex roo 

gorgeous either way though!!!

Edited by Specta