Just wondering how old Byleth is in everyone's eyes. While many people don't want to romance students because of the weird social power imbalance, some say the age gap would be weird, so while I think Byleth is in the early twenties, what does everyone else think?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably anywhere from 20-24. 25+ tends to be the cutoff for Looking Older in jpn media, so anywhere in that first range would fit Byleth perfectly. No idea if this even works or if they even age like a normal human, though.

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

They're avatar, their age is whatever you want it to be.

I don't know if that really works here, since Byleth has more set in stone characteristics compared to other Avatars.

Looking at both Byleth, and Jeralt, I'm leaning toward 18-21 as the age range for Byleth.

Once you start having Byleth in their mid-20s you're asking for Jeralt to be somewhere in his 50s which just doesn't feel right to me.

But this is anime aging, that barefoot dragon girl in Byleth's head is clearly several centuries old at the youngest so... yeah.

4 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't know if that really works here, since Byleth has more set in stone characteristics compared to other Avatars.

You can't  customize their appearances?

I really doubt Byleth is meant to be that much older than the House leaders. Around 20 at most. At least when comparing Edelgard and F!Byleth I just don't buy them having too large an age gap (though that could just be generic youthfulness at work.)

I totally think Byleth is definitely looked like in his/her early 20s. But, I just wondered why the timeskip cutscene changed Byleth's hair to white from the trailers since I think I heard it skips 5 years after something has happened between the three nations?

10 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

They're avatar, their age is whatever you want it to be.

That's not how that works. Besides that, we haven't seen Byleth gets customized like Kris, Robin, and Corrin and plus, they did showed Byleth is in the cutscenes without hiding his/her face on screen. (I totally think the customization is gone for Byleth and just leave the change for male or female only)

Edited by King Marth 64

I'm going to assume the Byleth is old enough to be an older sibling to his students. This may vary from culture to culture.

They could be at an age where they have to wait 5 years to romance their students (23-25 yrs old)

Edited by Jayvee94

Byleth seems like mid-twenties to me.  I think Jeralt’s in his late forties if he’s already no longer a knight of Seiros despite being a legendary figure.

Male Byleth seems older than Female Byleth too, which is a bit tough to square.

My guess is 24-ish.  Which means female Byleth should know better than to dress like that. ;/

Or maybe she's never had to deal with snagged stockings before.

26 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I totally think Byleth is definitely looked like in his/her early 20s. But, I just wondered why the timeskip cutscene changed Byleth's hair to white from the trailers since I think I heard it skips 5 years after something has happened between the three nations?

My bet it has something to do with Sothis, just looks at Nemesis who also has the same hair...

40 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

That's not how that works. Besides that, we haven't seen Byleth gets customized like Kris, Robin, and Corrin and plus, they did showed Byleth is in the cutscenes without hiding his/her face on screen. (I totally think they are customization is gone for Byleth and just only change male or female only)

Unless somehow Byleth has the same issue with Joker I'm pretty sure their age is up to interpretation.

Didn't exactly stop Kenshin Himura from being 28 at the end of the day.

24 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Nope. Just name and gender.

Well that's incredibly disheartening to know.

18 minutes ago, starburst said:

Old enough to drive a Mercedes, young enough to hook up with Lysithea.

That's actually a really good answer.

Edited by Zangetsu

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Well that's incredibly disheartening to know. 

As long as we still use animated cutscenes, some compromise has to be made. Either they never show players face like in previous games, or that you can't change appearance.

Besides it seems Byleth's appearance is tied in to the story, we know that their hair changes later in the game.

I'd just say Byleth is around 21. Doesn't look too much older than most of the students.

Also, I do not think the academy works like a school. More like tutoring in university. (Where more experienced students get to instruct newer students.) So romancing is totally fine by me.

1 hour ago, starburst said:

Old enough to drive a Mercedes, young enough to hook up with Lysithea.

ok.. now this is epic

Anyway, Byleth is definitely around their 20s. I've always seen them and the Lords on equal footing, and there's no way they would let a female Lord be too old. If she gets too old, she starts to become too niche and less marketable as a main character. Same thing more or less applies to the male Lords too, especially in this genre. The male Lords, based off what we've seen with the other character designs, would look way uglier if they were older than late-mid 20s. Except maybe not, because they are the boxart characters etc. 

Basically, what I'm getting at, is its hard to picture Byleth (and by extension the Lords) as being older than 25. I would sit them all squarely at a variable 20~23. 

I'm going with 23 before the time skip. A 5 real gap feels appropriate for romancing the students/old enough to be an authority figure to them. What the heck has Byleth been wasting his youth on? Back in my day, you weren't a JRPG protagonist unless you saved the world by the time you were 16.

Edited by NekoKnight