7 hours ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

Especially one with Deity powers(Byleth). There's people mentioning Byleth doesn't look different in 5 years but you gotta consider there still an Avatar character so they still gotta be overall recognizable and the faculty doesn't look different either despite being much older(ie Shamir, Manuela, Catherine, Hanneman etc) even some former students don't look that different 5 years isn't enough for some characters to look drastic to others. 

Right now you are really in the headcanon section.

Nowhere in the game says Byleth extended other people's life, especially in the war phase.

While he's a god in multiple endings, he didn't learn any of his divine power yet except time manipulation in the game. The furthermost stretch is some endings stated Fodlan was well developed later, you could argue that later he used his power to support the land like Mia did.

It's likely that he has to learn the powers overtime, or that Sothis has to teach him how to.

If Byleth can use any his divine power at will during the game phase, then there was no reason to fight the war, why didn't he just annihilated Edelgard and TWISTD with his power?  

I just figured between Jeralt’s age and who your mom is and what happened with Sothis you just dragon slept five years to heal from your fall

That's my interpretation too, he's probably hibernating like his kin.

Edited by Timlugia

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Right now you are really in the headcanon section.

Nowhere in the game says Byleth extended other people's life, especially in the war phase.

While he's a god in multiple endings, he didn't learn any of his divine power yet except time manipulation in the game. The furthermost stretch is some endings stated Fodlan was well developed later, you could argue that later he used his power to support the land like Mia did.

It's likely that he has to learn the powers overtime, or that Sothis has to teach him how to.

If Byleth can use any his divine power at will during the game phase, then there was no reason to fight the war, why didn't he just annihilated Edelgard and TWISTD with his power?  

That's my interpretation too, he's probably hibernating like his kin.

Agree to disagree clearly not getting anywhere its back and forth just let people interpret how they want there's no clear answer your trying to input don't think it was intended to think hard on simply just what's there and up to the player what's not explained well there's a reason some things stay ambiguous to not upset players...

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

Dragon blood transfusions extending life isn't really headcanon. Though to me it took a bit of an unexpected turn into Byleth's god powers and status as a dragon, my intials thoughts on transfusions were more about those who already had crests. 

1 hour ago, goodperson707 said:

Dragon blood transfusions extending life isn't really headcanon. Though to me it took a bit of an unexpected turn into Byleth's god powers and status as a dragon, my intials thoughts on transfusions were more about those who already had crests. 

That works, but it's different that Mage Goddess Lysithea suggestion using divine power to makes them magically immortal.

Well, if Byleth transfuse his/her blood to their spouse, that would make their children born out of incest/"selfcest", no? It would be just like Jeralt married to Sothis clone when he carries blood of Rhea, except Byleth doing so would be intentional.

I mean when you wake up Sothis even says its time to wake up and Claude and Hanneman at least comment on you sleeping for five years.

the biggest give away to me is "your body is awake already, you just need to open your eyes" Makes me believe his body was recovering from injury like other dragons did.

Edited by Timlugia

Yeah not sure where that came from (the posts before that seemed more along the transfusion line), as for Byleth I'm not sure if their blood would even work for that. 

Frankly the incest angle just seems a bit silly to me when it comes to the goddess and her children. 

Edited by goodperson707

18 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Does it specifically say

Reveal hidden contents

that Byleth doesn't age during the 5 years? I'm pretty sure we'd still assume they're 5 years older, making them 25 or 26 around the time they wake up~

If they in fact don't age, then you would be right, only a handful of students like Petra and Lysithea would still be younger than them~

It's not clear exactly what's going on, but 

Spoiler

Byleth is clearly in some sort of stasis for those five years. If they were actually "sleeping" and hence their body was working normally, they would need to eat! They wake up with no memories of those five years, no evidence of having eaten or metabolised, no evidence of having aged physically at all. Mentally they certainly have not aged, and physically it doesn't seem like they have aged either, so I'm gonna go with "Byleth is younger than most non-Lysithea students after the timeskip" myself.

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's not clear exactly what's going on, but 

Hide contents

Byleth is clearly in some sort of stasis for those five years. If they were actually "sleeping" and hence their body was working normally, they would need to eat! They wake up with no memories of those five years, no evidence of having eaten or metabolised, no evidence of having aged physically at all. Mentally they certainly have not aged, and physically it doesn't seem like they have aged either, so I'm gonna go with "Byleth is younger than most non-Lysithea students after the timeskip" myself.

In church route Flayn implies it was the dragon hibernation

Spoiler

Just after Seteth gave you the new banner of Fire Emblem, she asks you what happened in the past 5 years,

by picking "under the rock" she would explained to you she had her long sleep was in a casket; picking "I don't know" she would say it's usually hard to remember the first sleep for her kind. Before Byleth could ask further question, Imperial QRF would arrive and attack.

Edited by Timlugia

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, Anacybele said:

Where? I think it's implied that he/she is 18 or 19. Claude says he/she is very close in age to the students and the most common age of the students is 17. Oh yeah, FE lords are commonly 17-18 or younger anyway. Sigurd and Micaiah are the only exceptions, the latter because of her bloodline.

Byleth is born in 1159. The events in the game before the War Phase happens in 1180, making Byleth 21.

3 hours ago, Justanotherguy said:

Byleth is born in 1159. The events in the game before the War Phase happens in 1180, making Byleth 21.

...Yes, there was a whole conversation about this earlier in the thread where I was told. I know, yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

• 5 weeks later...

Wait.. where's the debate coming from about Byleth's age?

Depending on the chosen birthday, their age is 20-22 pre-timeskip, and 25-27 post timeskip.

Unless the timeskip was draconic hibernation for Byleth, keeping them at 21-22

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't read all the posts so I'm not sure if anyone explained already, but:

You can clearly calculate their age by knowing at the year their mother died in childbirth: 1159. The game begins in 1180. So Byleth is 21 at the start of the game.

Now, Byleth's exact birthdate is a little strange because despite the game letting you choose one, according to Jeralt's diary it sounds like Byleth's mom died in childbirth during Horsebow moon, or at least just before it.

This could mean that the in-game birthday is just a made up date that perhaps Jeralt gave Byleth as their new birthday or something. But the fact that Sothis claims to have the same birthdate is very strange then.

I'm scared that all of this is explained in a route I haven't played yet, haha.

15 hours ago, moxis said:

But the fact that Sothis claims to have the same birthdate is very strange then.

My headcanon explanation for this is that Sothis is simply pulling from your own memories. I don't know what routes you've played, but in Part 1

Spoiler

she mentions not remembering a time Byleth was at the monastery, though we know s/he was obviously born there.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:20 AM, goodperson707 said:

Dragon blood transfusions extending life isn't really headcanon.

Actually, it is (at least in Fodlan):

Spoiler

There are a ton of hints (and is confirmed at the end of SS) that Jeralt lived for over 100 years because Rhea gave him some of her blood when he was injured. This is probably also why he has her Major Crest of Seiros.

Actually something I've been wondering for a while - and it's funny that the topic came up right after I last visited this thread - is whether Byleth can be considered to have aged while hibernating, since s/he ends up one of the youngest members if not after being one of the oldest in Part 1. Obviously five years have passed, but does it really count when Byleth mentally hasn't aged or kept any memories of that time?

On the other hand, the other adults also stay the same post-timeskip, so there's that when you look at the "not aging" side. Still, it may make marrying a student easier to swallow for some (though Byleth still remembers them as their students - at least at first, so you may too).

Edited by DefyingFates

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

My headcanon explanation for this is that Sothis is simply pulling from your own memories for this.

Ahh that's pretty good, might clear it up.

I've only finished Crimson Flower so far so I'm really looking forward to actually getting some answers hah.

10 hours ago, moxis said:

Ahh that's pretty good, might clear it up.

I've only finished Crimson Flower so far so I'm really looking forward to actually getting some answers hah.

Glad I could help...and keep it spoiler-free too!

Worth mentioning that Jeralt misreports Byleth's age to everyone including Byleth. While Byleth is in their early 20's as determined by the year of their mother's death, when the game begins everyone believes Byleth is in their late teens at the latest because Jeralt claims they were born "many years" after he left the monastery. Seteth isn't exaggerating when he gets mad at Rhea for hiring a "child" as a professor.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, moxis said:

This could mean that the in-game birthday is just a made up date that perhaps Jeralt gave Byleth as their new birthday or something. But the fact that Sothis claims to have the same birthdate is very strange then.

I think this is actually an example of one of the things Three Houses is pretty clever about: namely, using Mary Sue-isms to obfuscate the truth. Much like how we assume we get handed a free teaching gig because we're the protagonist and that's what happens to protagonists when in reality it's just a factor in Rhea's plot, "knowing" that we  share a birthday with the mysterious green haired entity in our mind reinforces the customized birthday as the truth since that's the trope we're used to.

Edited by Arachnofiend

On 10/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, DefyingFates said:

Actually something I've been wondering for a while - and it's funny that the topic came up right after I last visited this thread - is whether Byleth can be considered to have aged while hibernating, since s/he ends up one of the youngest members if not after being one of the oldest in Part 1. Obviously five years have passed, but does it really count when Byleth mentally hasn't aged or kept any memories of that time?

It's quite interesting topic. Calendar year wise I am sure Byleth is considered 26 just like how Tiki introduced herself as 3,000 years old (especially in Japanese version) despite she spent 1,000 years in sleeping. But mentally how would one consider Byleth post skip? I guess it's up to individual interpretation.

• 1 month later...