Same age as most students so 17-18 minimum(at max Mercedes age) before timeskip(even Byleth still needs tutoring from other teachers alongside the other students since he's the youngest teacher in the Monestary). Majority of FE protagonists begin their journey around 17 despite their appearance looking much older don't see them over 20 from the start especially for anime MC standards.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rakath said:

But this is anime aging, that barefoot dragon girl in Byleth's head is clearly several centuries old at the youngest so... yeah.

Several centuries seems like a generous guesstimate for Fire Emblem, if I were a betting man I'd put Sothis at one millennium at least.

20-22 and 25-27 in the timeskip. 

Unless it's revealed that Byleth has dragon blood and ages slowly so he/she can have whatever age you wisj. But I don't think that's the case otherwise Jeralt would need to be way older 

8 hours ago, Rakath said:

Looking at both Byleth, and Jeralt, I'm leaning toward 18-21 as the age range for Byleth.

Once you start having Byleth in their mid-20s you're asking for Jeralt to be somewhere in his 50s which just doesn't feel right to me.

Jeralt could easily have Byleth with 20 years or even younger. Teenager pregnancies exists. Even if he was 18 when Byleth was born, it's still a proper age to have a child especially in medieval times 

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

They're avatar, their age is whatever you want it to be.

I don't think it works like that. Corrin was an avatar and even if I really, really wanted him to be older then Xander it wouldn't be possible. Robin also wouldn't be older than Validar no matter how much we might wish for him to be. Likewise I don't think we can decide Bayleth is older than his dad either. 

The FE avatars aren't complete blank slates. They have their place in the world and a rough age they are supposed to be. 

I roughly put Byleth at 23 and Jeralt at 45.

Byleth's in line with the older students (Mercedes) and the younger teachers (Shamir, maybe Catherine as well).

For comparison I'd say the other students are no less than 17 and no more than 21 (Lysithea and Mercedes being the exceptions obviously).

That's for M!Byleth though, female looks slightly younger, I'd put her at 20.

I think Byleth will be older than Corrin but the same general principle will apply. He's going to be old enough to legally fall in love with older characters but not so old that romance with the younger characters will be completely creepy. Unless they limit some younger characters from being able to get romanced, then I could see Byleth being a tad older. 

2 hours ago, Mylady said:

Jeralt could easily have Byleth with 20 years or even younger. Teenager pregnancies exists. Even if he was 18 when Byleth was born, it's still a proper age to have a child especially in medieval times 

I mean, yes, but if that's the case what narrative reason would you make Jeralt have Byleth at a young age for Byleth to then be severely older than the student body? It holds a greater narrative purpose to have Byleth be the age Jeralt met his wife at the start of game, possibly a bit younger than Jeralt so Byleth ages into that place during the skip.

Unless we're doing a Gilmore Girls blurring the line between parent and best friend, making Jeralt a young parent to make Byleth older feels rather unreasonable. Especially when making Byleth younger serves more overall purposes.

Of course, this is the one game where I could see Localization changing Byleth's age to make them younger than the Japanese counterpart. But I'm staying with Byleth being half Jeralt's age (more or less) and a few (two to three) years older than the house leaders.

I'm betting Byleth's age will be approximately the average of all starting students +5, so s/he will be right in the thick of them after the timeskip. My wild assumption is that Byleth will be kicked forward in time via The Plot (tm), which is why everything's gone to pot and Byleth hasn't changed outfits in half a decade.

2 hours ago, Rakath said:

I mean, yes, but if that's the case what narrative reason would you make Jeralt have Byleth at a young age for Byleth to then be severely older than the student body? It holds a greater narrative purpose to have Byleth be the age Jeralt met his wife at the start of game, possibly a bit younger than Jeralt so Byleth ages into that place during the skip.

Unless we're doing a Gilmore Girls blurring the line between parent and best friend, making Jeralt a young parent to make Byleth older feels rather unreasonable. Especially when making Byleth younger serves more overall purposes.

Of course, this is the one game where I could see Localization changing Byleth's age to make them younger than the Japanese counterpart. But I'm staying with Byleth being half Jeralt's age (more or less) and a few (two to three) years older than the house leaders.

I think Jeralt's age is not really important overall? I don't think the age a mother gave birth tells exactly about the relationship with the children. I know mothers that are liberal and treat the  kids as "friends" and the age gap is the average age of  parents nowadays.  The concept of  "teen mothers" is also recent in humanity. I know that Fire Emblem is a fantasy world and  not historically accurate though. 

The point is that even if Byleth was born when Jeralt was 22, and Byleth had this exact age in the grave scene, Jeralt would be 44 which is not what I'd call old by today standards.  

4 hours ago, Mylady said:

I think Jeralt's age is not really important overall? I don't think the age a mother gave birth tells exactly about the relationship with the children. I know mothers that are liberal and treat the  kids as "friends" and the age gap is the average age of  parents nowadays.  The concept of  "teen mothers" is also recent in humanity. I know that Fire Emblem is a fantasy world and  not historically accurate though. 

The point is that even if Byleth was born when Jeralt was 22, and Byleth had this exact age in the grave scene, Jeralt would be 44 which is not what I'd call old by today standards.  

Which... is why I was arguing against mid-20s (24-26) not early 20s (20-22), I'd side-eye a 22/23 year old Byleth a bit, although I suppose it's fine. The older you make Byleth the further away you get from 'coming of age hero journey protagonist' which is kinda Fire Emblem's 'thing' except for Sigurd who isn't the coming of age hero journey protagonist of that game.

It doesn't serve the narrative to make Byleth 27, is mostly where I am (and it messes up how old Jeralt is, and how okay any romances would be.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 6:00 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think it works like that. Corrin was an avatar and even if I really, really wanted him to be older then Xander it wouldn't be possible. Robin also wouldn't be older than Validar no matter how much we might wish for him to be. Likewise I don't think we can decide Bayleth is older than his dad either. 

The FE avatars aren't complete blank slates. They have their place in the world and a rough age they are supposed to be. 

Didn't stop me Yu Narukami.

But I get what you're saying.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, starburst said:

Old enough to drive a Mercedes, young enough to hook up with Lysithea.

That's not really respectfull towards Mercie...

Since they can support the other teachers, it mean th  ymust be at least 21 in order to legally drink with them

13 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

That's not really respectfull towards Mercie...

Since they can support the other teachers, it mean th  ymust be at least 21 in order to legally drink with them

The most common legal drinking age worldwide is 18, although it is 20 in Japan. Remarkably, in some places in India the minimum age is 25.

Personally I'm going to play my Byleth, regardless of what gender I go with, as, uhhh, let's say 31. That leaves room for a 50-year old Jeralt, good enough for me.

51 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The most common legal drinking age worldwide is 18, although it is 20 in Japan. Remarkably, in some places in India the minimum age is 25.

Personally I'm going to play my Byleth, regardless of what gender I go with, as, uhhh, let's say 31. That leaves room for a 50-year old Jeralt, good enough for me.

Thats where i would have placed him roughly as well.

I wonder if it is somewhere defined.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yep (damn, India. That's a long time to wait for a drink). Also, since FE is in a medieval fantasy world, there probably isn't a legal drinking age. They didn't have those back then. Adolescents were allowed to have alcohol. 

On 7/9/2019 at 2:28 AM, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Majority of FE protagonists begin their journey around 17 despite their appearance looking much older don't see them over 20 from the start especially for anime MC standards.

Technically, Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War, Micaiah from Radiant Dawn, and even Chrom from Awakening were above teenager years when they were introduced in their games. I think Byleth kinda looks little bit older than Edelgard, I definitely have to say he looks kinda around 18-20.

Edited by King Marth 64

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Technically, Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War, Micaiah from Radiant Dawn, and even Chrom from Awakening were above teenager years when they were introduced in their games. I think Byleth kinda looks little bit older than Edelgard, I definitely have to say he looks kinda around 18-20.

Its confirmed he's around the same age as other students so 18-20 isn't a bad estimate from profiles.

My guess is that the Byleths are 27. Even though I've said before that they're around the same age as the students, I actually always envisioned Byleth to be significantly older and 27 is just the number I always think of when someone mentions Byleth's age so 27 it is.