Revelation worth it at this point?

Zerxen

I bought Conquest 2-3 years ago and I loved it and done multiple playthroughs of it, though I never had enough interest to finish a Lunatic run. Got bored and downloaded Birthright last week and actually enjoyed the roster, story, and music much more. I initially played this on Lunatic though I had to lower the difficulty by Chapter 26 because my units had the defense of a wet cookie- also I handicapped myself by retiring Ryoma.

I am aware that Revelation has a lot of "gimmicks" to it and is mainly catered to PvP. Is a playthrough worth it despite these flaws? Or am I better off watching a run off YouTube?

If you don't mind shelling out another 20 bucks, then yea it's worth it.

As far I'm concern the game is better than Birthright & the only real downside is how much you like Scarlet.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

If you don't mind shelling out another 20 bucks, then yea it's worth it.

As far I'm concern the game is better than Birthright & the only real downside is how much you like Scarlet.

Where does it improve over Birthright? I found Lunatic!Birthright to be a good challenge up until lategame where everything OHKO's my units. I am aware of the fates of certain characters but beyond this, I don't know much about the story.

More interesting & diverse maps than just "eliminate all targets" or "capture base".

Some units have questionable growth stats, but I never really care enough to pay attention.

Edited by Zangetsu

Revelation is for experimentation.  Cross-country marriages can happen, which open up some neat possibilities (Shiro on a wyvern, as one).

15 minutes ago, Zerxen said:

I am aware that Revelation has a lot of "gimmicks" to it and is mainly catered to PvP. Is a playthrough worth it despite these flaws? Or am I better off watching a run off YouTube?

I would recommend that you watch a long play of different chapters on YouTube, for the maps are super gimmicky. Yes, Conquest can be very challenging at times, but Revelation's difficulty is purely artificial.
You could watch some minutes of a chapter and then cut to another one midway, so that you do not actually see everything. (I have never found an actually efficient long play streamer anyway, so it is not that they will ruin your experience with a brilliant approach.)

I have played up to Chapter 13 or so on Lunatic, but would never touch it again (and I only did it because my 3DS is hacked and I could try it for free.)
Then again, I did not like Birthright either, so, Revelation might have something for you. Who knows.

Its a real mixed bag. They have a lot of varied maps, but the gimmicks can be hit or miss, and brings back some from the other routes. It lets you recruit all of the main Fates characters, barring some of the Corrin sexuals, but despite doubling the roster the deployment slots are generally the same or fewer. The starting levels of units are somewhat random and inconsistent. One of the most egregious examples is in chapter 16, which has you get a lv 4 promoted, a lv 17 unpromoted, a lv 13 unpromoted, and a lv 11 unpromoted unit, with enemies that are either level 15 unpromoted or 3 promoted generally. Difficulty wise I don't think its any more difficult than Birthright, although there are a couple of annoying sections, the worst of which is probably chapters 16 and 17, where they act like the other routes end game chapters and do not let you save between them (and force you to baby sit some seriously under-leveled recruits). Without pointless grinding your army will be just about reaching lv 15 promoted by the end, so if you are finding things too difficult, there is plenty of room to grind and make it more manageable. It has some issues storywise, but I don't think its much worse than the other routes. If you liked the rest of Fates it is probably worth it. I am actually doing a screenshot lets play of a Lunatic difficulty Revelations Pick My Unit run on these forums if you end up not getting it (or are curious about it, but do not care about spoiler).

I feel like if you like the rest of Fates, then you'd probably like Revelation.  The only thing I'll say though is that the story could have the potential to ruin your perception of the other two paths and maybe of certain characters.

Given the trouble Birthright Lunatic gives you, you will probably find Revelation challenging as well.

What I'd say is get a video of someone playing through Chapter 7 of Revelation.  I feel it serves as a decent representation for how a lot of the game would go.  No need to see much else to get a gauge of how much you'll love/hate it.  You get pretty much all the same characters you get in the other paths, so there's nothing really new there, and the deployment limit never goes beyond 16.

Also, that one annoying wind tribe chapter from Conquest is back, and it's more annoying than ever in Revelation.

2 hours ago, Zerxen said:

I initially played this on Lunatic though I had to lower the difficulty by Chapter 26 because my units had the defense of a wet cookie- also I handicapped myself by retiring Ryoma.

I will never stop recommending Oboro to people who play this game, lmao.

Unlike a lot of her comrades, she doesn't have the defense of a wet tissue.  Same with Silas.  They don't sacrifice other stats for their defense, either.  Well, Silas might have some speed issues, but he's solid enough.

Also, I always retire Ryoma.  At best, he's a pair-up bot.  I feel disgusting using him with his OP 1-2 range sword that can double, critical, and activate skills all in one.

I think you'll like Revelation if you enjoyed the other two versions. I didn't find most of the gimmicky maps as annoying as most people seemed to, and experimentation with different pairings and units is at its peak here, so there is a lot of replayability.

Don't play Revelation. It's easily the worst of the three paths in Fates, and quite arguably the worst FE game period. The maps are way too gimmicky and annoying, the unit balance is absolute shit, and the story, while not as bad as CQ's, is still absolute dogshit. I cannot recommend Revelation to anyone, not even people who legitimately liked the other two Fates paths.

I mean it’s the only path that you can pair up Selena and Subaki and that alone is worth the $20 if you ask me. In all seriousness I’d say it’s worth it if you enjoyed the other two paths. The story isn’t as bad as people say it is and the cross game supports as stated before are a big bonus. Really the only major downside is the sort of lackluster map design but even that I think people like to blow way out of proportion. So yeah I say it’s worth the $20

The question you have to ask yourself is whetever 20 dollars is worth having and doing a lot of needless Awakening shipping option and children optimization, because that's the only thing that is worthwhile, and it's not really worthwhile, since you know... shitty balance and piss poor easy. If it is, buy it, if not, never look back.

The story ? Garbage. The gameplay ? Terrible. The balance ? Done by tapping their genitals.
Go look a let's play of it by Mangs or Guast or whatever Fire Emblem, and never look back at this abomination.

Seriously, Revelation is insulting, don't waste your money or time on it, for the sake of those 20 bucks.

16 hours ago, Zerxen said:

if you like tons of options with units builds, yes. Revelation takes everything from Conquest/Birthright in terms of skills builds, and merge it together to create some really insane characters.

Conquest is the most challenging out of the 3 routes, while Birthright/Revelations are quite similar in terms of difficulty scaling.

story is subjective, some like it, some don't.

in terms of money, it would probably be better to get a limited edition with all 3 routes, rather than buying a Conquest/Birthright copy and pay for the 3rd route. that's just my opinion though.

Edited by Fenreir

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I mean it’s the only path that you can pair up Selena and Subaki and that alone is worth the $20 if you ask me.

You mean the pairing that features Selena being incompetent for 3 Supports with Subaki saying "i work hard too :^)" at the end?

LIKE EVERY OTHER SUBAKI SUPPORT

10 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

You mean the pairing that features Selena being incompetent for 3 Supports with Subaki saying "i work hard too :^)" at the end?

Yes but it works here because this time it’s with Severa y’know miss inferiority complex herself. I find it to be her best romance support across both awakening and fates because of how well it gives her character the closure she needs. I mean it’s the only one of two romance supports that fully tackle that aspect of her character(the other being her M!Robin support). It shows how much she’s grown since awakening and plays with how she tends to project her feelings about her mom onto others. Also that S-support is just way too sweet.

1 hour ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

What makes the Selena-Subaki pairing great is the Selena-Caeldori support. There are some notable differences, and Caeldori being the spitting image of Severa's mother is not only addressed but central to their support.

43 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

What makes the Selena-Subaki pairing great is the Selena-Caeldori support. There are some notable differences, and Caeldori being the spitting image of Severa's mother is not only addressed but central to their support.

Selena and Caeldori is certainly good but that doesn’t inherently make Selena and Subaki good. 

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Yes but it works here because this time it’s with Severa y’know miss inferiority complex herself. I find it to be her best romance support across both awakening and fates because of how well it gives her character the closure she needs. I mean it’s the only one of two romance supports that fully tackle that aspect of her character(the other being her M!Robin support). It shows how much she’s grown since awakening and plays with how she tends to project her feelings about her mom onto others. Also that S-support is just way too sweet.

47 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

3 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Selena and Caeldori is certainly good but that doesn’t inherently make Selena and Subaki good. 

As someone who fathered Severa in their first Awakening play through, I really do like her support with Subaki. One of the few things about Rev I actually like

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

As someone who fathered Severa in their first Awakening play through, I really do like her support with Subaki. One of the few things about Rev I actually like

RobinxCordelia is the best pairing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. No seriously that family just works in all sorts of ways. 

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

RobinxCordelia is the best pairing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. No seriously that family just works in all sorts of ways. 

Preach man. Severa and Morgan are the best sibling duo

4 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Is the Heirs of Fate DLC worth getting for 8 bucks? I mostly care about gameplay.

I honestly love HoF, it’s a bit different than other Fire Emblem because of having Fixed Units with no EXP but honestly I really like it. It really feels really well designed with dual strike or pair up  stats. 

It also has a pretty good story which is a nice bonus but I won’t spoil anything. 

Edit: Oh and some people care about this a lot but they all have their canon hair colors instead of your save file’s copy of them

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, Zerxen said:

Is the Heirs of Fate DLC worth getting for 8 bucks? I mostly care about gameplay.

I liked it. Strategy is all there is to it. No exp, no thinking about promotion or being stat screwed. Some may feel detached from it due to this, but I found it interesting. Doesn't really have much replayability though.