RPGSite Interview with Intelligent Systems

Jedi

36 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

One was killed in an ambush.

One was beheaded.

One was incinerated after being betrayed.

Inb4 Dimitri got his eye burnt out by someone seeking to usurp his claim to the throne, Edelgard figuratively loses her head due to vicious political schemes, and Claude’s nation gets split in half by an upstart who’s disgruntled by their own mistreatment.

53 minutes ago, Busterman64 said:

Honestly, as I see it:

Eldigan=Edelgard

Quan=Claude

Sigurd=Dimitri

I definitely see it that way.

Especially in the case of Dimitri.  He comes across as the same kind of noble that Sigurd is, and similarly deals with great tragedies.

Next thing you know, Dimitri’s noble deeds will be his downfall, and he must rely on his loyal allies to undo whatever tragedy befell the kingdom.

Man, this is now making me really want to pick Blue Lions.

5 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Inb4 Dimitri got his eye burnt out by someone seeking to usurp his claim to the throne, Edelgard figuratively loses her head due to vicious political schemes, and Claude’s nation gets split in half by an upstart who’s disgruntled by their own mistreatment.

I definitely see it that way.

Especially in the case of Dimitri.  He comes across as the same kind of noble that Sigurd is, and similarly deals with great tragedies.

Next thing you know, Dimitri’s noble deeds will be his downfall, and he must rely on his loyal allies to undo whatever tragedy befell the kingdom.

Man, this is now making me really want to pick Blue Lions.

What makes it better is that after the timeskip...Dimitri seems to kinda has lost it...but Imagine how everyone who follows him feel. Felix, Ingrid, Slyvain.

To us, he may have lost his mind. To them, he may have just become a harden Dimitri, but still Dimitri we know and love at heart. Maybe his views of "justice" may have been distorted and just needs some one with a good head on their shoulders to lead him back in the right direction. 

...why is choosing Houses so hard? I was firm on Golden Deer for awhile, but Blue Lions is so tempting as time goes on...:sweatdrop:

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Yeah, while Binding Blade might be the more sensible and safer option due to Roy's popularity in Smash, Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 need remakes much more than Binding Blade imo

Also, it just makes so much sense to do a Genealogy remake capitalizing on people being fresh off Three Houses and wanting to see the game that inspired it. I'm 90% sure we'll see that next, maybe not until 2021 though, since 3H DLC is planned until mid 2020.

so they took one single, very small aspect of genealogy, and made a whole game out of it

then what's coming next? a whole game about incest and another one about killing children?

Edited by Yexin

20 hours ago, Yexin said:

so they took one single, very small aspect of genealogy, and made a whole game out of it

then what's coming next? a whole game about incest and another one about killing children?

so they took one single, heartwarming aspect of genealogy, and made a whole game out of it

then what's coming next? a whole game about one squick and another one about nightmare fuel?

Oh, that's a very interesting tidbit. Man, I can't believe I didn't made the connection. Especially when people began to point out how the game was borrowing aspects from Genealogy.

9 minutes ago, Yexin said:

Well, at this point, perhaps it's not that surprising. Like, didn't they mentioned before that Fates was basically: "What if we made a whole game out of the Arran/Samson choice from Shadow Dragon?"

Perhaps we should start to look at the small details from the other games... who knows what could be next...

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

*laughs in Crusader Kings 2*

The blinding, the beheading, and the ambush are there too. What FE4 lacked though was some manure under the floorboards.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, that's a very interesting tidbit. Man, I can't believe I didn't made the connection. Especially when people began to point out how the game was borrowing aspects from Genealogy.

Well, at this point, perhaps it's not that surprising. Like, didn't they mentioned before that Fates was basically: "What if we made a whole game out of the Arran/Samson choice from Shadow Dragon?"

Perhaps we should start to look at the small details from the other games... who knows what could be next...

Be careful what you wish for. Maybe the next game will be based on the Manster escape arc during the beginning of Thracia 776.

Genealogy has the obvious advantage over other games where it can easily have the mechanics in Awakenfates AND Three Houses inserted. Binding Blade can't since only a few characters are offspring of the Blazing Blade cast and only retcons would change that.                                              

16 minutes ago, Eryon said:

Genealogy has the obvious advantage over other games where it can easily have the mechanics in Awakenfates AND Three Houses inserted. Binding Blade can't since only a few characters are offspring of the Blazing Blade cast and only retcons would change that.                                              

I could see them padding out the cast of FE6+7 by adding more characters in both directions. Retconning more parents into 7, and more kids into 6. Overhauling the gameplay systems of the GBA titles with more current tech (skills, class system rework) isn't out of the question as the main overhaul.

3 hours ago, Yexin said:

Game about incest... Do you mean Sacred Stones? 

7 hours ago, Busterman64 said:

What makes it better is that after the timeskip...Dimitri seems to kinda has lost it...but Imagine how everyone who follows him feel. Felix, Ingrid, Slyvain.

To us, he may have lost his mind. To them, he may have just become a harden Dimitri, but still Dimitri we know and love at heart. Maybe his views of "justice" may have been distorted and just needs some one with a good head on their shoulders to lead him back in the right direction. 

...why is choosing Houses so hard? I was firm on Golden Deer for awhile, but Blue Lions is so tempting as time goes on...:sweatdrop:

Or maybe he is simply right, it happens even most derailed people at times. 

Honestly, with IS making separate remakes for Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, I can't see them ever bundling two games in one remake.

The cost would be too great and they would make more money by selling them separately. Remasters maybe but not full blown remakes.

Doing 6+7 as a single game isn't impossible, it allows them to do things that people liked (child units) without things they didn't like (baby dimensions). And if Three Houses is as stupidly huge as being reported, a combined FE6+7 campaign would compare more favorably than doing either game alone.

Now, if IS wants to go for the cash, they could do FE7 then FE6 with a data transfer system to allow for certain bonuses/changes in FE6 based on your FE7 units. But without a real significant overhaul that might lead to a 'feelbad' moment if either game feels significantly smaller than 3H.

Also with the comparisons, one is from an empire, one is from a noble confederacy, and one is from a kingdom with a strong chivalrous/knightly tradition.  

I still regret that we never got a conversation between Quan and Eldigan in Genealogy.  

Edited by DystopianAlphaOmega

Outside of the lord trio and crests being somewhat close to holy blood, I don't see the game being close to FE4. Unless 3 Houses wants even more overpowered weapons, op skills, and zero reclassing. I guess I am still conflicted about the smaller, more customizable cast than the usual fair.

Still waiting for TMS#FE.

2 hours ago, Rakath said:

Doing 6+7 as a single game isn't impossible, it allows them to do things that people liked (child units) without things they didn't like (baby dimensions). And if Three Houses is as stupidly huge as being reported, a combined FE6+7 campaign would compare more favorably than doing either game alone.

Now, if IS wants to go for the cash, they could do FE7 then FE6 with a data transfer system to allow for certain bonuses/changes in FE6 based on your FE7 units. But without a real significant overhaul that might lead to a 'feelbad' moment if either game feels significantly smaller than 3H.

FE 6+7 as one game isn't impossible but it isn't very practical either. Something like that would like cost as much money and effort as an entirely new mainline game not matter what they do. FE 6+7 are two different games and you can't just reinvent them into one game.  

16 hours ago, timon said:

Now, I know this may not be literal, but it worries me. I've said it before, but the fact that the characters join at different times and for different reasons was always a big thing for me, having a random guy that appears in the middle of the battle and now you have a new unit, always an amazing moment. With the roster from the get go it could get boring and I feel like it could take away characterization and relationship instead of bringing it.

Well, that quote doesn't necessarily preclude characters joining at different times and for different reasons; it just means that you'll have interacted with them beforehand.

Let's take Rhea for a possible example. We know you can interact with her, get relationship points, etc. She's (probably) not playable early in the game, but you still interact with her and get to know her. She might still join late-game; in that case, you still get late-joining units, but the difference is that you'll have the opportunity to interact with her a lot beforehand. A late join for someone you already know very well, instead of it being a random person you've never seen before.

With very few exceptions, late joining characters tend to be very unpopular. Those that are still popular like Tibarn are the ones you spent a lot of time with beforehand. So I'm thinking that they taking this approach, but pushing it further in Three Houses. No Stephans, more Tibarns being the approach here. I think it's a good idea overall personally: I'm more likely to make space in my party for a new character I learned to like beforehand, instead of one I know nothing about when my party is already set. Not that one or two unknown late joiners is bad, though.

Edited by Ayra