Fire Emblem: Three Houses Difficulty Mode

Classic/Normal.

I will probably restrict myself to no grinding maps and minimal use of the turnwheel (just for 1% crits and allied forces messing stuff up). I usually enjoy FE best giving myself restrictions instead of letting hard mode do it for me.

Hard. As for Casual vs Classic, I believe my profile should answer that.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about Hard missing out on the free battles. As long as it's once a week and not unlimited, I'd like to have them. I prefer the difficulty level to only affect enemy levels/stats, amount, classes and weapons etc. Not gameplay.

Spoiler

(This is a funny quote from the crossover game Project X Zone 2, where Segata Sanshirou lets Chrom know his opinion. Although it stays true for how I enjoy Fire Emblem games, I don't enforce that view on others).

Edited by Siskan

3 hours ago, Bloom said:

Seeing everyone playing classic making me feel bad, maybe I'll go normal/classic and save a lot...

No need to feel bad; playing what is most fun for you is the most important thing!

With that said, this might be a good "safe" opportunity to try out Classic. Even in classic, you have the option to rewind turns; that should make classic less punishing and cause much fewer resets than other FE games (bar SoV). If it works like Fates, you can also drop the difficulty from Classic to Casual whenever you want, but you can't do so the other way around. So if you end up disliking Classic, you can move back to Casual instantly, but if Casual-with-rewind turns out too easy for you, you can't move back to Classic on that save file.

4 hours ago, Bloom said:

Seeing everyone playing classic making me feel bad, maybe I'll go normal/classic and save a lot...

Don’t bow to possible peer pressure. Play what’s comfortable for you.

Normal/classic like I always do.

I might try hard eventually and if I do, I’ll play casual. 

4 hours ago, Bloom said:

I also agree that you shouldn't feel pressured to play Classic. But I'll explain why I like it. It applies to the whole battles, but especially bosses. When the stakes aren't too high you might end up playing very sloppily. At least in my mind that becomes boring as you don't need to pay too much attention and make an effort. Now think about bosses, I mean you will likely have most of your units left at the end of each battle playing casual anyway. So now that you're facing the boss with a bunch of your units left and don't have to worry about them getting defeated, you can just send them in for a hit and if they lose you send the next unit essentially kamikaze style until the boss gets down to 0HP. This completely eradicates all challenge a boss offers, as I see it.

I also agree with everything Ayra said. There are ways to balance the challenge Classic provides if you find it too harsh. 

But if you prefer Casual for whatever reason, go for it! If that's how you get the most enjoyment out of the game, there's absolutely no other option regardless what other people think or how many they are. : ) I only provided my view on Casual in case you were wondering why some people prefer Classic. I imagine that if you feel pressured it's likely because people are too busy trying to tell you that you aren't doing it right.

I think the Supor Robot Taisen series does a much better job at making your moves matter despite lacking Permadeath by the way.

Thanks so much!

It sounds like Hard/Classic is the most popular opinion, so I will go with that because most other people here are more experienced than me. 

16 hours ago, Bloom said:

Don't sell yourself short. Play the way you enjoy the most! You have that privilege as a gamer.

Normal/Classic on my first playthrough, so I cam fully get used to the mechanics. Then I'll switch over to Hard on my second run depending on how much of a challenge normal was for me.

18 hours ago, Bloom said:

Let me be the odd one out and say Classic is great. Fear of consequences spurs you to learn the mechanics and the Turnwheel is extremely good at covering up the occasional lapse in judgement. Playing a different way can lead to a deeper appreciation of the game. 

I always do hard and classic when available so I'll be doing the same here too.

The sole exception being my first run of Awakening where I did Hard/Casual because Casual was new at the time and I remember going something like "I always reset when a character dies anyways so might as well" but then I found myself constantly not caring about the choices I made and simply going "eh, if they die they'll just come back anyway" which cheapened the experience for me and also made the game feel a lot easier than it should've been.

Normal classic on first playthrough.

Never actually used casual... I did use Phoenix a few times but that was to rush through birthright/conquest to use corrin marriage to get skills on characters that I didn’t want to marry in revelations to be able to buy them back in the actual classic playthrough. Even with Phoenix mode and skipping all cutscenes this took to long XD 

Edited by iavasechui

It's a bit of a contradiction in that I don't play Fire Emblem hardcore permadeath when it's that mode that utterly makes games like XCOM for me. I guess the difference is that on one side you have a fixed story that continues at the same pace regardless of your losses, as opposed to having an organic, largely self-determined story where the losses can actually completely change the direction of the campaign.

I pick Classic nonetheless, but have no compunction against the liberal use of the turnwheel, and I don't feel the slightest bit bad about abusing it.