Nintendo Switch Lite-First Look Before 9/20/19 Release

Dai

D-Pad is the one thing i'll give it. But this is just a worse Switch that's obviously targeted towards those who can't afford a regular one.

Biggest worry is the undetachable Joy-Cons. Hopefully they don't get drift as easily as regular Joy-Cons.

I think it's a nice cheaper alternative to those who only care about playing in Handheld mode, and I know there's a lot of people who primarily play the Switch undocked. I'll probably get a Switch Lite for my sister when Animal Crossing comes out.

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

I think it's a nice cheaper alternative to those who only care about playing in Handheld mode, and I know there's a lot of people who primarily play the Switch undocked.

Like myself. I only used the dock a couple of times to test that everything worked, and used it exclusively as handheld ever since.
By what I can see in the video, however, I am not sure that this is actually more comfortable than the cumbersome regular one.

The real question is: Will it be hackable?

damn it. No detachable joycons. I was hoping a new Switch model would come with an influx of lower priced joy cons to replace your busted ones. Paying 80 dollars every two years is ludicrous though, I'm popping this thing open.

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

damn it. No detachable joycons. I was hoping a new Switch model would come with an influx of lower priced joy cons to replace your busted ones. Paying 80 dollars every two years is ludicrous though, I'm popping this thing open.

Is this seriously a common problem? My joycons work fine.

6 minutes ago, Dai said:

I thought I had this problem, but then I did a simple recalibration and it was fixed, for now at least. My Wii U Gamepad however, does have the problem. 

I think it is dependent somewhat on what you play and how you play it. A major contributor to my Gamepad's problems was Xenoblade Chronicles X and the ability to Sprint being locked to pressing down on the left control stick. I haven't by comparison played anything that would be so rough on my Switch, though if I had Smash, I could see that being brutal on it.

I haven't a need for a Switch Lite. This in a way undermines the hybrid console premise of the Switch, but it does make marketing sense.

I'm this weird person who doesn't take my Switch with me places, but likes handheld mode so I can watch TV at the same time.😛

The Yellow is interesting choice, but the Turquoise is my favorite color of the trio presented.

25 minutes ago, Dai said:

If I was the only person in the world who suffered from joycon drift, and not including the other people I know personally dealing with it, I'd still be upset at these flimsy controllers. You'd think just using the D-Pad is enough but drift only requires the controller to be powered on to override D-Pad inputs. And I can't even power the console on without turning on the controllers so trying to play around it is a crapshoot. With some effort in docked mode I can turn off these controllers and play with a gamecube controller through my Wii U adapter. It works except the GC controller has no HOME button so the joycons need to be reconnected to turn the game or system off. And I don't play the system exclusively in Docked mode because the person I play with is less mobile than the system. I expect the Pro Controller is built of sturdier stuff but that doesn't help me with playing in handheld mode. 

It says a lot that my ~15 year old GC controller has no drift or button sticking after several thousands of hours of playtime while my left joycon made it only (according to my Switch's play history) ~300 hours before the drifting started around the time Let's Go Pikachu released. My GC control stick's plastic has been sheered completely off through overuse yet still has full range of motion. Even my N64 control sticks have a better track record and those are famous for losing their range of motion.

The only real benefit I see from this is that it'll have better battery life than the base model, and hopefully will have more storage space.

Overall I think that spending an extra $100 is well worth it considering you can hook it up to a TV and not be locked down to a charger.

5 hours ago, Dai said:

It will happen eventually. Joy-Con drift is, as a certain purple alien would say, inevitable. My original Joy-Cons lasted from launch day up until February of this year. Drift started a few months earlier but it wasn't until February that the drift got so bad that i could not play at all.

I don't think I ever really minded the lack of a D-pad on my current Switch. I think it's only traditional fighting games where I actually care about the D-pad, though, and I don't have any of those on the Switch.

The lack of detachable joycons does worry me a bit with the recent need to replace my old left joycon. Being locked to handheld mode wouldn't be an issue for me, and I'm sure there are others who are in a similar boat. (I actually don't know where my dock ran off to, but it's probably in one of the boxes from the last time I cleaned my apartment.)

Not like I'm actually in the market to buy one, though.

6 hours ago, Dai said:

It definitely is for some people.

I had to replace my left one last month because the left joystick got to the point where most games were unplayable. The vertical controls would often get stuck halfway up or down and not go any farther, and would also get stuck in place after releasing the joystick. Leaving the joystick in the center for a few seconds without touching it would send the sensor slowly creeping upward for no apparent reason.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that I've logged nearly a thousand hours on Monster Hunter and several hundred on Fire Emblem: Warriors, both of which have you pretty much pressing or holding the joystick in the up direction for most of the game.

Edited by Ice Dragon

5 hours ago, Ilboss said:

I was hoping for 3ds compatibility, but I guess the d-pad is cool.

With this, Nintendo pretty much officially killed the 3DS. 

This smaller Switch is definitely aimed at younger kids and those who use it in handheld mode most of the time. The average parent wanting to get a Switch for a lower price for their children for Christmas would certainly be interested. 

If this came out this month and not in September, I might consider it, but I'm not going to wait two months before playing Three Houses.

If it will be easy to swap save files between the Lite and the regular Switch I might consider getting one. Still, I'm a bit dissapointed by the form factor. Would have preferred something with more space to grip (you know, like, maybe a less extreme version of the WiiU GamePad . As bulky as this thing was, it was actually quite comfortable to hold for extended periods of time) and shoulder buttons similar to the pro controller. The screen, I presume, will be an LCD panel again... Since it's Nintendo I never got my hopes up for an OLED but for handheld devices in this day and age that's a must imo. 

Will most likely bite when a cool limited edition is announces (no, the Pokemon one is not cool :P).  

• 3 weeks later...

I heard somewhere that they're releasing a new Nintendo Switch where they'll extend the battery life 4.5 - 9hrs. Do we know a release date for this new model? I'm debating between if I should get the new model or the Lite version.