First Scans for July 25th Famitsu

3 hours ago, Nio said:

Assassin
-Sword Expert
-Lockpick
-Stealth Steps: Harder to be targeted by enemies

Stealth Steps seems interesting to me.  As far as I can remember, there was never a way to keep a unit from being targeted by the enemy other than staying out of their range or having more defense than another ally in range.  I now have to wonder how the enemy targeting priority system will work in this game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Stealth Steps seems interesting to me.  As far as I can remember, there was never a way to keep a unit from being targeted by the enemy other than staying out of their range or having more defense than another ally in range.  I now have to wonder how the enemy targeting priority system will work in this game.

I think Tellius had limited control of that with the Provoke/Shade. And Stillness.

I didn't play much FE9-10 so Stealth Steps is a very strange concept to me. An ability that exclusively affects AI behaviour? Not that I imagine every battle as a PVP scenario, but what the heck is the in-universe explanation for that? Assassin units are right there on the battlefield! Just target them! They'll even have battalions following them around!

If it affected hit rates or had something to do with terrain bonuses or fog of war, I'd like it more.

5 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I didn't play much FE9-10 so Stealth Steps is a very strange concept to me. An ability that exclusively affects AI behaviour? Not that I imagine every battle as a PVP scenario, but what the heck is the in-universe explanation for that? Assassin units are right there on the battlefield! Just target them! They'll even have battalions following them around!

If it affected hit rates or had something to do with terrain bonuses or fog of war, I'd like it more.

Shade from Tellius basically lowers enemy priority. They may still target you, but they are more likely to target others provided they are nearby.

I wonder how similar Stealth Steps will be to that, or how different.

12 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

Uhh, if you think about it realistically, they might be 'on the battlefield', but a real assassin would probably be crouched/hiding/behind the battalion. And also, real combat isn't turn-based, so what's so odd about it??

28 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

You could see it as a stealthily moving column? I mean if we up the scale of fire emblem battles we might as well up the scale of the battlefield, even a plains tile might not be just a field, there might be some way to sneak some troops around with some good maneuvering. It's not that much of a stretch, if our units are the commanders then an Assassin might just be a very good commander on that aspect.

14 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

Uhh, if you think about it realistically, they might be 'on the battlefield', but a real assassin would probably be crouched/hiding/behind the battalion. And also, real combat isn't turn-based, so what's so odd about it??

In that case, is the player going to have trouble seeing enemy assassins on the field? If not, why would the enemy AI have that trouble? It's just a weird and lopsided mechanic.

The only other "stealthy" elements in Fire Emblem relate to evasion, terrain, and fog of war maps where you don't have full information on the enemy's positions. Come to think of it, a cool mechanic would be assassins being able to "hide" on forest tiles regardless of there being fog or not. That would actually put enemy assassins on equal footing.

10 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

In that case, is the player going to have trouble seeing enemy assassins on the field? If not, why would the enemy AI have that trouble? It's just a weird and lopsided mechanic.

It's not guaranteed that enemy assassins will get this skill, to be fair. Which would imply that yours are more... competent, I guess.

... it's true that it being a class skill makes things a bit weird, in Tellius it was tied to characters so it could be interpreted as their talent as individuals.

Edited by Cysx

47 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

Not that I imagine every battle as a PVP scenario, but what the heck is the in-universe explanation for that? Assassin units are right there on the battlefield! Just target them! They'll even have battalions following them around!

You have to be able to do a bit of theater of the mind.  Sort of like DnD; sure, you can physically see your characters on the field, but they would be hiding in actuality.

11 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

They might have it function differently for enemies.  Perhaps their capabilities are hidden, or they get boosts to dodge.  Or perhaps it's like the whole Jedah attack-canceling thing where every attack except the second or third or fourth or whatever number is guaranteed to miss, so as to encourage you to deal with other enemies first.

Though if it's that last one, then it'd be exceptionally annoying to deal with a whole army of them.

20 minutes ago, Cysx said:

It's not guaranteed that enemy assassins will get this skill, to be fair. Which would imply that yours are more... competent, I guess.

... it's true that it being a class skill makes things a bit weird, in Tellius it was tied to characters so it could be interpreted as their talent as individuals.

What really makes it funny is that it also apply to the Assassin's entire battalion.

2 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

What really makes it funny is that it also apply to the Assassin's entire battalion.

They're really good at telling people to keep quiet too. And horses. And probably wyverns.

Since the last issue will be a "huge blowout" according to them I'm guessing they'll finally mention S Supports especially involving Jeralts wedding ring passing it down to Byleth, uh.....maybe more timeskip stuff like more designs?, maybe the "Master Classes"?. But outside this I'm not expecting anything else new especially when this article didn't have anything too substantial besides how Demonic Beasts work and some class abilities for already known advance classes. I wouldn't mind if the details I just mention were kept secret to the release it would be nice but we'll find out real soon in almost 2 more weeks!

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

4 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Since the last issue will be a "huge blowout" according to them I'm guessing they'll finally mention S Supports especially involving Jeralts wedding ring passing it down to Byleth, uh.....maybe more timeskip stuff like more designs?, maybe the "Master Classes"?. But outside this I'm not expecting anything else new especially when this article didn't have anything too substantial besides how Demonic Beasts work and some class abilities for already known advance classes. I wouldn't mind if the details I just mention were kept secret to the release it would be nice but we'll find out real soon in almost 2 more weeks!

S Supports and post-timeskip designs seem reasonable.

I'd say that post-timeskip exclusive promotions for the Lords would likely be the only classes they reveal, and maybe Manakete too, if it's in (though it might be saved until release). 

What I'm expecting/hoping they will cover is what class mastery is and what some more of the crests do.

You can appreciate both the aesthetic and practicality of that exposed leg. Which begs the question: why the longcoat?

I mean the longcoat has been a staple of swordmasters but .......

Edited by Jayvee94

46 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Well if we do get a huge blowout in 2 weeks time it's safe to say I'll be going offline for that, it's nearly time to stop lurking folks it's been a good run.

Well, consider Nintendo games usually get their music leaked two week ahead. It’s really time stop visiting YouTube if you don’t want spoilers.

Edited by Timlugia

2 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Well if we do get a huge blowout in 2 weeks time it's safe to say I'll be going offline for that, it's nearly time to stop lurking folks it's been a good run.

I think I'll probably hang around a little longer, just as long as small bits from official material come in.

But yeah, once the leaking starts, I'm out! 😄