Fire Emblem: Three Houses Preview by Engadget

Preview written by someone who has played through the game once, but still bound by embargo.

Includes general impressions on the story, characters and the game in general. No spoilers.

Edit2: Thank _Xavi_ for quick action and saving the article: https://imgur.com/gallery/v27AaFD

Original link, now dead: https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/11/fire-emblem-three-houses-preview/

Edit. And the link is gone. Perhaps broke the embargo. Removed the tweet too.

Edited by Mapina

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot. Was there anything significant in there you can remember?
Edit:

1 minute ago, _Xavi_ said:

I managed to save it.

You're a lifesaver.

Edited by Cysx

Really interesting. Sounds like there are some major choices in the plot APART from picking a House. I wish I knew what house he picked. There's a bunch of different screenshots that tell contradictory stories, like the Eagles team on a field map, but also Petra with a Recruit option. He also says that his new House are less uptight than his old bunch, which at least rules out Golden Deer, who seem like the least uptight bunch possible. I suspect Black Eagles though, purely because the leak suggested that they have at least two routes.

On a side note, the fact that the guy could only recruit one other student makes it sound like that really isn't easy. Perhaps for every student you recruit, the stats required to recruit another go up, as a kind of soft lock mechanism?

17 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Shoot. Was there anything significant in there you can remember?
Edit:

You're a lifesaver.

No problems! I knew it was weird to get a preview from one source only. We'll  probably get all the previews in the upcoming hours

Okay, so this doesn't mention gameplay much and I think I've done a decent job at showing that I care a lot bout that, but, the truth is, I care about everything really. And this review was exceedingly positive(and pretty well-written), which is really uplifting. I'm pretty happy right now.

Not much new information, although the existence of a new game + option was confirmed.

Everything sounds amazing. We have Choices That Matter™, a narrator, voiced supports, calendar art that develops the world. The only negative thing that stood out is that normal mode is too easy, but I was going to start on hard anyway. I know Fates bashing is tiresome but the way this guy describes 3H as what Fates should have been and that the developers learned from what Fates did wrong and made 3H with that in mind... this game is gonna be amazing.

14 minutes ago, Cysx said:

a new game + option was confirmed.

Yeah thats what i figured, there is shot with Byleth having A in prof level but the date is 7/6, thats to early to be having such hight level, unless he hacked which i doubt.

So Prof level  is one of things that carry over in NG+.

Edited by User name

7 minutes ago, User name said:

Yeah thats what i figured, there is shot with Byleth having A in prof level but the date is 7/6, thats to early to be having such hight level, unless he hacked which i doubt.

So Prof level  is one of things that carry over in NG+.

Oh, that makes sense. It seems that he went with the Black Eagles on his first playthrough, and the Golden Deer on his second. The fact that he says the game 'tells you which choices majorly affect the plot' and says that he should have saved at these, would seem to confirm the leak that Black Eagles at least have two routes.

22 minutes ago, Onestep said:

On a side note, the fact that the guy could only recruit one other student makes it sound like that really isn't easy. Perhaps for every student you recruit, the stats required to recruit another go up, as a kind of soft lock mechanism?

Maybe the guy didn't really know how to recruit well since that's their first attempt.

7 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Maybe the guy didn't really know how to recruit well since that's their first attempt.

Possibly. Personally, I'm a fan of it being difficult. I'd imagine on Normal difficulty, you can just grind to recruiting everyone possible anyway.

to be honest, hearing that this FE is actually good from someone whose nickname ins't "FatesLover2003" (periphrasis: someone who's actually aware of Fates' many MANY objective problems and is not blinded by his unconditioned love for that game, and most of all, who appearently didn't get completely caught by the first impact game left and judges it from what it actually is (am i rite IGN?)) is what i needed not to completely lose faith in Int$ys

now, two week before the game's release, i can say i'm quite excited for Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Edited by Yexin

I wonder if with NG+ it will be possible to play the full game in one save file, instead of starting over 3 times.

Also interesting that recruiting is THAT difficult, and that there are other relevant choices other than the house. I'm worried about the story "falling short" in the end though, I mean it's just the author's opinion, but it might very well be true, with 200 hours and 3 (or more) paths there could be some big holes.

9 minutes ago, timon said:

I wonder if with NG+ it will be possible to play the full game in one save file, instead of starting over 3 times.

Also interesting that recruiting is THAT difficult, and that there are other relevant choices other than the house. I'm worried about the story "falling short" in the end though, I mean it's just the author's opinion, but it might very well be true, with 200 hours and 3 (or more) paths there could be some big holes.

Well we don't know if recruiting is really that difficult it probably depends on the the player and their investment in doing it, of course that's all subjective opinion he could be a casual player and found certain things overwhelming or not his personal thing so I wouldn't take some of his little peevs as facts since things he didn't like won't be the same for everyone else.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

1 hour ago, Onestep said:

Oh, that makes sense. It seems that he went with the Black Eagles on his first playthrough, and the Golden Deer on his second. The fact that he says the game 'tells you which choices majorly affect the plot' and says that he should have saved at these, would seem to confirm the leak that Black Eagles at least have two routes.

Yup, he probably went with Black Eagles on his first run( evident buy a smal game clip with Petra doing a crit ), and a screen with Byleth talking to Petra, while having A in prof.

I think its pretty obvious that he really likes Petra lol

inb he S ranked her in BE route and now wants to recruit her into GD and S rank her again.

That's called loyalty, and i respect that!

Edited by User name