Fire Emblem: Three Houses Preview by Engadget

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing is that "playtime" is an extremely nebulous term when it comes to FE. Are people referring to the in game playtime tracker, or am approximation of all their game sessions. The in game tracker doesn't keep track of the level resets that go into many FE playthroughs. Tracking through real life time might not account for skipping cut-scenes/conversations or if yoy just read faster/slower than most people.

Hoo boy, this review sure didn't help in making my hype more manageable. I'm pretty sure I'm firmly in the "I won't rest until this game is in my hands" camp now.

But beside that, this review completely quashed most of the small concerns/curiosities I had left. Good story, fun to play, meaningful decisions, New Game+ (the only way I'd be okay with a 4th route if it exists), and character development. The news about difficulty is slightly disappointing, but I was planning on starting on Hard anyways, so no big deal I guess.

Also is it just me, or is Mercedes clearly referring to Jeritza in her screenshot? I know that there was speculation that the two were related,  but it seems the game itself is also going out of its way to suggest the possibility. If the game's doing that, it's probably going to end up being a major plot point...

Spoiler

...and makes me think he's the one the article was referring to when talking about and "unavoidable character death." Helps that Jeritza is seemingly painted as this random other instructor within the school so getting to know him is entirely optional.

Man, if that's true, Blue Lions really is the house of family drama.

Seems like everything continues to be good and smooth sailing thus far. Story and characters seem to have the main focus this time around, which is great as that was Fates greatest weakness.

I guess the main thing left for me is the gameplay of the maps. I would love to see more Conquest and Radiant Dawn (heck, even Valentia DLC) style objectives instead of simple Rout and Seize maps. At the moment I don't think there's been much discussion on that front yet.

Thani Leak Discussion in Spoiler

Spoiler

Sadly, based off of Thani's leaks, the maps may be more simplistic. So, I don't think there will be many maps with varying objectives, like in Conquest or Radiant Dawn. A shame, but all the other stuff Three Houses does may allow this to be overlooked for me.

At this point, I’m just curious about two main things:

1) The highest tier of classes (especially if there is a mixed magic class and/or a mounted magic class)

2) The inclusion status of same-sex S Supports

4 hours ago, timon said:

I wonder if with NG+ it will be possible to play the full game in one save file, instead of starting over 3 times.

Also interesting that recruiting is THAT difficult, and that there are other relevant choices other than the house. I'm worried about the story "falling short" in the end though, I mean it's just the author's opinion, but it might very well be true, with 200 hours and 3 (or more) paths there could be some big holes.

I hope the NG+ works that way. But this makes me less likely to do all 2 routes at the same time if I get bonus points for the replay value. But now I wonder if I should start with the one I'm least interested in (Golden Deers) first before moving onto the other ones? Idk.

And where did you get that recruiting is difficult? The author specifically said they just ran around giving flowers to everyone instead of actually focusing in on characters to recruit, and that it would probably be easier if they had focused. And also in that one game preview the woman had recruited 2 characters (relatively) early. I'm assuming because of the variety of skills needed you'll probably get around 2-3 on your first play through. And if skill levels and such carry over on NG+ you might be able to get 4-5 total.

I'm assuming there's probably a cap tho on how many you can get from each house. Any more than 3 from a house and it feels like the house would be severely compromised. Lol.

It's funny, I leave the FE fandom and this site and then Three Houses looks incredible. So here I am again.

Honestly, though, this is the most excited I've been for a game since Odyssey.

Game Informer has hinted that upcoming info on Three Houses is dropping on their website soon during their latest GI Show episode.

😃I was hoping for a NG+ after hearing about all the activities around the academy and the small amount of turns we would be able to take each week. It feels great to read such a positive review.  

2 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

It's funny, I leave the FE fandom and this site and then Three Houses looks incredible. So here I am again.

lmao, so much has happened since Three Houses was announced.

There were incredible revelations, some truly kickass instructors were revealed (Catherine and Shamir, at the very least), and somehow the fandom has united in their excitement over the game.

7 hours ago, Onestep said:

I don't know. Wise, mature lady and father of main character both have pretty atrocious records for survival.

Well, there have only been about three wise, mature maidens in the series as far as I'm aware (Elice, Emmeryn, and I guess Mikoto), and only two of them have died.  If you count more than clerics and are willing to stretch that archetype's definition, then there are also Eleanora, Lahna (Lewyn's mother), Aideen (only is this archetype off-screen), Eyvel, Marth's mother (really stretching it 'cuz she has no characterization due to dying off-screen), Nagi (again, stretching the definition), Cecilia, Niime, Ismaire, Dara (AKA Grandmother), Titania, and a bunch of others, and barely even a quarter of these characters end up dying before their respective protagonists' stories ended.

Compare that to the protagonist fathers.  Just about every single FE protagonist out there has their father die.  Marth, Alm, Celica, Sigurd, Seliph, Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim and Eirika, Ike, Chrom, and Corrin...

In fact, unless I'm missing something, the only protagonist whose father doesn't die is Roy's, because Eliwood is apparently too badass to let even an illness kill him before he's seen the world see lasting peace.

It's easy to see why so many would think Jeralt's gonna die; protagonist fathers dying is damn near a 1:1 ratio, and the one character who breaks is so badass anyway that he would've fought in an arena 24/7 just to rescue his father from a bloodthirsty, undying necromancer.  And there's the fact that he has all the same makings as a certain other mercenary father figure whose death is probably one of the more notorious ones.

That said, there was a scene where it seemed like Rhea was crashing through a window.  My guess is they're both gonna die.  Jeralt will probably die either to those who slither in the dark or to some rival figure for Byleth, and Rhea I assume will be killed by someone looking to take charge of the church so that they can use the power it wields for more devious/corrupt purposes.  I feel pretty convinced the latter will be true in some fashion because A) that'd pit us against the church without turning their maiden figure into a villain and B) it'd give the instructors loyal to Rhea a reason to fight for us (revenge against whoever killed her/restoration of the church's good ways).  Hell, with how her bio goes, I almost think it'll be a case similar to the Jedi Council and Anakin where Rhea passes a harsh judgment down upon one of her inferiors, and said inferior will make moves to usurp her afterwards out of spite and to prove he/she's "worthy" of better judgment.

17 minutes ago, Kliss88 said:

To be fair, Corrin's father doesn't die until the end of Revelations 

Wasn't he already dead by then, and his dead body controlled by Anankos?

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Wasn't he already dead by then, and his dead body controlled by Anankos?

Pretty sure that was the situation, either that or he was resurrected by Anankos and then mind controlled. Either way he did die before Rev.

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

New Trailer. Flayn seems to be playable a decent bit before the timeskip. Also, that's a sexy ass map.

Man....every map looks awesome so far. At least visually. 😄

I think this is the first time we actually see someone in the Priest class do something other than heal.

10 hours ago, Onestep said:

I don't know. Wise, mature lady and father of main character both have pretty atrocious records for survival.

Problem is, the only characters that I can think of that fit the former are Mikoto and Emmeryn. And two is too small a sample size. Compare that to the fact that the series is close to batting 1000 when it comes to the main character's father being dead before the game starts or dying during the game.

They die because they are the father figures in the absence of the actual fathers who are dead before the game starts. It's just an extension of the trope beyond the biological definition of father, really.

I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind

Edited by Humanoid

3 hours ago, Kliss88 said:

To be fair, Corrin's father doesn't die until the end of Revelations 

Ehh... Yes and no. Corrin's father is the human portion of Anankos who dies before the game, while Anankos fought endgame is only the father through technicallity, cause the human form is an incarnation of his soul. 

To be fair, Corrin's fathers are as great, well written characters, as Corrin himself. 😛

So, NG+. Byleth. Stand Name: Killer Queen: Bites The Dust.
Look over here ! Sheer Heart Attack has no weakness.

I wonder how it will work, because you know... stats. Byleth will be busted in new game plus. He would like a Jeigan with max stats..
That's why I don't really believe it'll work like that, but I want to laugh.

Leadership, now that's something I see, though it does give an advantage similar.

Hmmm, gee, I wonder who is the character he mentioned will die.

1 hour ago, Rakath said:

There is also the Freudian (Ugh) element of replacing your father as the final step to adulthood. Which generally means killing him so the space is opened.

...Well, that's another deathflag I haven't noticed yet. 😛
Honestly, that dude is more lifely to die than Rhea, because, first, Rhea isn't your freaking dad, and second, Rhea is possibly an antagonist.

Edited by B.Leu

Just now, B.Leu said:

To be fair, Corrin's fathers are as great, well written characters, as Corrin himself. 😛

So, NG+. Byleth. Stand Name: Killer Queen: Bites The Dust.
Sheer Heart Attack has not weakness.

I wonder how it will work, because you know... stats. Byleth will be busted in new game plus. He would like a Jeigan with max stats..
That's why I don't really believe it'll work like that, but I want to laugh.

Leadership, now that's something I see, though it does give an advantage similar.

I get the feeling it'll kind of be like Persona NG+, where level and stuff like that goes back down, but certain things like Joker's personality levels would carry over.

Based on the reports that Professor level might carry over, it sounds like it'll be something similar to that.