Do you want a 4th, "true" path the provides closure for all three houses/lords/paths?

as far as the roster problem goes I've played a few of the Fire emblem games and never had my experience hindered or hurt by having an overload of characters and I've seen them manage them all really well both in story and interactions and as for the ending while I like the Idea of a happy ending I don't believe in true endings their is never a true ending only the ending some one says is true but to answer the question I do want a true ending but only if it is also what I would define as a happy ending only so that their can be one while I don't like that this might invalidate some endings for other people I don't really care either I'd rather have the option of a happy ending then be forced to put up with tragedy and failure this is a game after all I don't play these to feel like shit I play them to hear a good well written story have fun and to come out of it feeling rewarded and happy not like I just royally  fucked up like I do when a game arbitrarily decides that I can't save every one cause reasons good reasons or not I just can't enjoy a game like that anymore I've played too many games and watched to many anime like that and just came out of it feeling like I wasted my time and got my heart beat to hell and back for nothing on top of that.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the game was released I thought yeah I want a true ending because of the spoilers I read. Now? Nah. The game is fine. Each route is fine. I chose my true ending. I don't want a new ending to slap me in the face and be like "the 100 hrs you spent was for nothing". Although I'm against it, I would still love an optional ending where all the 3 lords go against TWISTD and work together. Just as an optional what-if scenario.

Personally, I wouldn't mind not having a Golden Ending type of ending if they were to have the valor to not go the "we won't have a canon ending" route either.

I know that for these kind of situations people dislike the idea of a multi-path game having a canon one. As I see it, I think it can be more a detriment to the overall story, since it means getting stuck since no one wants to see one path elevated above the others. Then again, as FE doesn't stick to the same setting for more than two games at the most; and with the fondness of the multiverse they've adopted since Awakening, it might not matter anyway.

Unless they pull a Daggerfall and declare every ending is canon and happened in the same continuity. The infamous "Warp in the West" Dragonbreak, or so something like that it's called. Though with Three Houses, admitedly I doubt it. Who knows...

That is a hard negative, ghost-rider.

Adding a "golden ending" will, in my view, run counter to the main themes presented by each route, ruin the development of each respective route's lord and from a gameplay perspective, cause the roster to become incredibly bloated. As people have said already, Revelations was supposed to be the "golden route" for Fates where everything is sunshine and rainbows, and people work together but all it did was make the already nonsensical plots of Conquest and Birthright even more absurd in retrospect. Alternate endings/routes for the other houses (since BE already have two) or having the routes expanded perhaps, but a "golden ending"? One that would almost certainly be paid DLC? No, absolutely not.

If they do that, and pull it off, I would be impressed, and perhaps it is the situation to hope for, but you know what they say about hope...

Team yes but make it tragic and full of sacrifices instead of 100% everyone survives happy. I just don't like how only Claude seems to have a thinking head on his shoulders. Blue Lion conflict is incredibly contrived and from what I hear BE route as well. The justification for why these people can't ever work together is paper thin to non existent(given how claude quasi allies with dimitri anyway on BL) because all their goals align to varying degrees a decent amount(the result for fodlan on GD and BL ultimately was really similar as well which is another sign how goddamn similar their goals are, we already have a true ending it's fodlan is united at the end). What makes them not work together is the lack of information about the whole picture.

Basically I want a united route where I don't feel Edelgard and Dimitri have blinders on(Dimitri just going full kill Edelgard mode despite receiving information that should make him halt makes his respective turn to normal again even more questionable) just to force certain events, also those who slither could really use more material.

I feel like a lot of the pessimism around a united route is people thinking of fates but the base material of fates story wise was already kind of trashy. What is set up in three houses is just already miles ahead of that.

That said there is also many other things that I'd prefer DLC wise to this. I'm just not opposed to it. Currently I'm way more interested in what the fodlan neighbor regions have been up to while all that stuff was going down.

Edited by Gwyn

Given thread topic, a gold ending in the truest sense is kind of impossible because Edelgard and church elements will never work together. That there is some character death and tears already. I guess you could make an independent route where Byleth sets all his students in timeout but I've only gone halfway through GD and completed CF so I can't comment much beyond that.

11 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

Given thread topic, a gold ending in the truest sense is kind of impossible because Edelgard and church elements will never work together. That there is some character death and tears already. I guess you could make an independent route where Byleth sets all his students in timeout but I've only gone halfway through GD and completed CF so I can't comment much beyond that.

I dunno what you mean with in the truest sense. But from everything I know Edelgard and Rhea wouldn't fundamentally be opposed in ways that would make teamwork impossible.

Spoiler

Rhea wants the destruction of those who slither and wants the revival of her mother, in the end she doesn't actually really care that much about keeping the institution she created alive if she gets those two fulfilled.(In certain endings she has no issue relinquishing her position for Byleth and withdrawing as an important figure)

Edelgard wants to destroy the status quo of this society that aggrieved her and countless others, she believes was put in place solely by Rhea. Which isn't true since a big part of how this class society of crest bearers and non crest bearers came to be is what the agarthans/those who slither did. Rhea and Edelgard have a common enemy in that.

Really the main contention would be about how she'd feel about bringing back sothis and what she thinks the repercussions of that would be. At the very least it's on a level of being open to discussion unlike say those who slither would never be able to work with the church cause fundamentally their goals are ACTUALLY opposed.

Edited by Gwyn

6 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

I dunno what you mean with in the truest sense. But from everything I know Edelgard and Rhea wouldn't fundamentally be opposed in ways that would make teamwork impossible.

Reveal hidden contents

Rhea wants the destruction of those who slither and wants the revival of her mother, in the end she doesn't actually really care that much about keeping the institution she created alive if she gets those two fulfilled.(In certain endings she has no issue relinquishing her position for Byleth and withdrawing as an important figure)

Edelgard wants to destroy the status quo of this society that aggrieved her and countless others, she believes was put in place solely by Rhea. Which isn't true since a big part of how this class society of crest bearers and non crest bearers came to be is what the agarthans/those who slither did. Rhea and Edelgard have a common enemy in that.

Really the main contention would be about how she'd feel about bringing back sothis and what she thinks the repercussions of that would be. At the very least it's on a level of being open to discussion unlike say those who slither would never be able to work with the church cause fundamentally their goals are ACTUALLY opposed.

I'm avoiding spoilers for routes I haven't completed but so far Edelgard gives the impression of being ideologically fixed and a knight Templar personality.I haven't much to go on to see how she'd be convinced not to salt the earth wherever the church had taken route.

11 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

I'm avoiding spoilers for routes I haven't completed but so far Edelgard gives the impression of being ideologically fixed and a knight Templar personality.I haven't much to go on to see how she'd be convinced not to salt the earth wherever the church had taken route.

Well in that case play on. My biggest criticism on three houses story wise is that I do not think the character motivations are clearly differentiated in a way that would clearly communicate friction if they'd try to work with another. Quite the opposite. The overall impression I have from listening to people and completing two routes is that everyone would get along fine if everyone had the information of the whole picture. And there is plenty of evidence to prove this in the two routes I already played.

Non of the house leaders have fundamental disagreements in their goals and philosophies. They disagree mostly on the means mostly as a byproduct of lack of information and being shaped by their environment in a way that makes them conveniently uncooperative. It's not even clean with certain characters straight up ignoring important info thrown at their faces just to push a certain event happening.

I wanted the relationships to have more friction that communicates a certain impossibility of them ever getting perfectly along, like say similar to how Hank and Walter White(Breaking Bad) would always have an intrinsically antagonistic relationship because of their fundamental beliefs. Instead what we got is everyone is conveniently as dumb and as uninformed as they need to be to sufficiently justify them fighting each other. It makes the cause of the conflicts feel kind of thin.

Still my goty all in all and just such a jump up from fates but things can always be better.

Edited by Gwyn

20 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

Well in that case play on. My biggest criticism on three houses story wise is that I do not think the character motivations are clearly differentiated in a way that would clearly communicate friction if they'd try to work with another. Quite the opposite. The overall impression I have from listening to people and completing two routes is that everyone would get along fine if everyone had the information of the whole picture. And there is plenty of evidence to prove this in the two routes I already played.

Non of the house leaders have fundamental disagreements in their goals and philosophies. They disagree mostly on the means mostly as a byproduct of lack of information and being shaped by their environment in a way that makes them conveniently uncooperative. It's not even clean with certain characters straight up ignoring important info thrown at their faces just to push a certain event happening.

I wanted the relationships to have more friction that communicates a certain impossibility of them ever getting perfectly along, like say similar to how Hank and Walter White(Breaking Bad) would always have an intrinsically antagonistic relationship because of their fundamental beliefs. Instead what we got is everyone is conveniently as dumb and as uninformed as they need to be to sufficiently justify them fighting each other. It makes the cause of the conflicts feel kind of thin.

Still my goty all in all and just such a jump up from fates but things can always be better.

The ironic thing is that the paper thin excuse is distressingly believable. The three are all strong personalities and likely unable to budge on their strictest interpretation or trust anyone else to lead that future. Since we only have as much information as we do on a route to route basis, conflict is inevitable. Too bad Byleth can't support the lords and bodyguards of other houses, they have an excuse to shut them all down.

10 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

The ironic thing is that the paper thin excuse is distressingly believable. The three are all strong personalities and likely unable to budge on their strictest interpretation or trust anyone else to lead that future. Since we only have as much information as we do on a route to route basis, conflict is inevitable. Too bad Byleth can't support the lords and bodyguards of other houses, they have an excuse to shut them all down.

They're not though. Play on there are examples of this in the routes. The house leaders budge to varying degrees but only when it's convenient for the plot of the respective routes. There is no consistency to that because it's not grounded in an actual philosophy on things they hold, it is all mostly goal dependent hence I say the actual goals of all the characters aren't really opposed.

Edited by Gwyn

5 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

They're not though. Play on there are examples of this in the routes. The house leaders budge to varying degrees but only when it's convenient for the plot of the respective routes. There is no consistency to that because it's not grounded in an actual philosophy on things they hold, it is all mostly goal dependent hence I say the actual goals of all the characters aren't really opposed.

Fair enough, everyone goes off the deep end if the favorite professor doesn't side with them.

3 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Well I dont want to spoil anything, but Edelgard has that personality because there were some stuff happening that she doesnt know. If those secrets were to be revealed - in a way that they cannot be doubted - she may have tried a different approach.

End of BE Route spoiler:

Spoiler

Exspecially as she doesnt outlaw/destroy etc the church itself as emperor, according to the endings of manuela and hanneman. But merly reforms it. We dont know what those reforms were about but I would bet that the new church no longer claims the crest as "gift of the goddess".

NO.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather they did what Shin Megami Tensei did with Devil Survivor Overclocked: They just added more on to the already existing paths.

Note that they didn't expand ALL the paths. Any path that dead ended naturally got left alone. But most of them got extended with new locations, enemies, and events, which was really nice.

Features I'd want to see in a joint route:

• Game of Thrones, but done right: The three houses join together to defeat a powerful TWSITD (idk, they usurp Edelgard) but then go back to fighting each other - you can only choose one house to join again
  • Alternating house maps: Like Radiant Dawn, you alternate which house / students you control for some of these maps (ala the different routes in RD)
    • Byleth is missing: You don't get Byleth for these chapters (he's captured by TWSITD or something)
  • To trigger the joint route: you need to get B support (highest possible pre time skip) with all 3 lords during your route
    • Could be during Edelgard route, and instead of killing or protecting her, a third option is "Seek Answers"

17 hours ago, virtu333 said:

Features I'd want to see in a joint route:

• Game of Thrones, but done right: The three houses join together to defeat a powerful TWSITD (idk, they usurp Edelgard) but then go back to fighting each other - you can only choose one house to join again
  • Alternating house maps: Like Radiant Dawn, you alternate which house / students you control for some of these maps (ala the different routes in RD)
    • Byleth is missing: You don't get Byleth for these chapters (he's captured by TWSITD or something)
  • To trigger the joint route: you need to get B support (highest possible pre time skip) with all 3 lords during your route
    • Could be during Edelgard route, and instead of killing or protecting her, a third option is "Seek Answers"

The first option would not work, since if all 4 leaders got told the truth of the history of Fodlan there wouldnt be any more conflict the whole plot runs on miscommunication. if Byleth is there for all but 1;(Claude he the most stable), of the lords/leaders than they will likely talk it out. Byleth is basically El, Dimitri and Rhea therapists. With a 5th route all their miscommunications and issues can be resloved. Only thing I see going bad is if Rhea madness isnt cured. But they can do a des ex machina with her getting a dragon stone to control her powers. The true or at least the 5th route villians would be TWSITD and Nememisis since the whole plot is behind their schemes.

Edited by Mikethemaster2018

Well there IS a happy ending for Byleth marrying who the player chose and some other possible pairs if you decide at least but seriously I get what some really meant overall. I do agree that having a full golden ending wouldn't really work that well here with how Edelgard and Rhea perceives what the best for Fódlan and their ideals clash since I don't see them eye to eye especially since: 

Spoiler

Edelgard from the beginning was planning to go to war with the church from the beginning.

6 minutes ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

Well there IS a happy ending for Byleth marrying who the player chose and some other possible pairs if you decide at least but seriously I get what some really meant overall. I do agree that having a full golden ending wouldn't really work that well here with how Edelgard and Rhea perceives what the best for Fódlan and their ideals clash since I don't see them eye to eye especially since: 

Hide contents

Edelgard from the beginning was planning to go to war with the church from the beginning.

Because of miscommunication and her not knowing TWSITD are the true villains not the chruch. My post above. I say if she knew the whole truth of the matter and not the twisted story her family told her about her views would be different and maybe knowing her beloved teacher will become the new leader of thw chruch will sooth her heart of conquest. That my theory anyway. I think people who juat want a war story dont think with in the context of the story if it has a 5th route.

I don't want a "True" ending akin to fates, I also wouldn't want a story where you have all three lords or all students it would bloat the story and limit team diversity (Yets face it they are all OP). What I wouldn't mind is a "What if" scenario where they show a potential outcome if said thing happened where all three of the nations didn't fight and joined up to face the threat of those who slither in the dark or maybe a different nation from another contient. What I would really like however is a Jeralt Mercenary path where you don't end up going to garreg mach and join with Jeralt and his mercenaries (Similar to PoR) I can imagine a character like Leonie joining you early and being more relevant but it might take some time to develop such a story.

1 hour ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

Because of miscommunication and her not knowing TWSITD are the true villains not the chruch. My post above. I say if she knew the whole truth of the matter and not the twisted story her family told her about her views would be different and maybe knowing her beloved teacher will become the new leader of thw chruch will sooth her heart of conquest. That my theory anyway. I think people who juat want a war story dont think with in the context of the story if it has a 5th route.

While that's likely true the problem is that:

Spoiler

She worked with them while not with them in their actions but still aware of their evil especially what happen in Arianrhod after the battle there which got blasted by her uncle and it is until the end of Crimson Flower that she deals with them once and for all or at least Hubert making the plans to from his paralouge.

honestly Crimson Flower was rushed regarding TWSitD which it never delve that far into Edelgard's backstory so people would assume she's okay with them to certain degrees.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea