FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

1 minute ago, Florete said:

From Nintendo? I wouldn't expect positive trans representation...ever, honestly. Not in our lifetimes, anyway. They've taken this long just to start warming up to gay people, they're not going to tread further for a long time.

Not ax expert on the matter, but...

https://www.mariowiki.com/vivian

It puzzle me to no end that in Italy, the country where we have the fucking Vatican in, they did not hide in the slightest that she is trans, but they did in the US.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

From Nintendo? I wouldn't expect positive trans representation...ever, honestly. Not in our lifetimes, anyway. They've taken this long just to start warming up to gay people, they're not going to tread further for a long time.

Others have brought up Vivian but also considering that other games are making strides in this area (most notably Cyberpunk 2077) is may not be as far off as you think.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'll be honest, I don't even care if its positive or "good". I just want to start SOMEWHERE. If we don't start now, then when?

2 minutes ago, Soapbar said:

Others have brought up Vivian but also considering that other games are making strides in this area (most notably Cyberpunk 2077) is may not be as far off as you think.

Nintendo's really never been known for following the trends of other companies, though.

2 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I'll be honest, I don't even care if its positive or "good". I just want to start SOMEWHERE. If we don't start now, then when?

I understand this. It's why I was happy Fates included gay marriage options even though they weren't very good; we probably wouldn't have what we do in Three Houses without it. That's why I said what I did, because if we do get trans representation in the next ten years from Nintendo it probably won't be good. Whether it's better than nothing is up to oneself.

And @everyone yes I hear your mentions of Vivian.

13 minutes ago, Florete said:

Nintendo's really never been known for following the trends of other companies, though.

I understand this. It's why I was happy Fates included gay marriage options even though they weren't very good; we probably wouldn't have what we do in Three Houses without it. That's why I said what I did, because if we do get trans representation in the next ten years from Nintendo it probably won't be good. Whether it's better than nothing is up to oneself.

And @everyone yes I hear your mentions of Vivian.

Honestly any actual trans rep would be better than the "guy mistaken as girl" that we get with Libra and Forrest. actually, it might be possible to take that trope and change it into actual trans rep in future games.

22 minutes ago, Cyan1456 said:

But anyways I'm crossing my fingers at the faint hope that the third option will be Ashe. Or maybe Felix, Sylvain and Dmitri.

It's unlikely that they've added same sex s support for blue lions since we saw that screenshot, but I think that it's even less likely that Sylvain will be bi because of his personality and personal skill.

Wow, if this is true (I'm still doubtful about it, it seems surreal), it really might be one of the best entries of the series. I'm so happy about it. Bisexual characters ?? Several bisexual characters ??? Several bisexual important characters ???? Am I dreaming ? I just needed that to say that I'll enjoy the hell out of this game.

If I was nitpicky, I would say that I would have loved for the characters to have bisexual relationships between each other, and not just toward Byleth. And I hope that S-support is not just for Byleth, that would be a shame. But well, that's super good news nonetheless.

Edelgard and Claude both being bi is awesome! I wish they would've included Dimitri as well though, especially since there seemingly aren't any male bi characters in the blue lions. Unless there's a character that shows up or a relationship that unlocks after the timeskip.

Love all the female options though, except Sothis I guess 😛 I'll definitely be romancing Edelgard in my Black Eagles playthrough.

Just now, firewitch912 said:

Where'd you find this screenshot? Because we don't see Claude here and the rumored three could be off slightly

From a reviewer named Syrenne McNulty. They also posted this screenshot, which is much more conclusive.

Spoiler

D_T1zKzXsAAueiD.thumb.jpg.1df10f9be967a4da831aea1c82d7a525.jpg

14 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:
  Hide contents

D_T4kJsX4AA4gjy.thumb.jpg.1f162c16d3b7f5662c1a234dd52cf15a.jpg

I guess Claude's not an option

Spoiler

Now I'm really hoping there's more than 3 options because 2/3 of the options being old dudes, one who even has a wife, is not appealing in the slightest to me.

4 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

From a reviewer named Syrenne McNulty. They also posted this screenshot, which is much more conclusive.

Hide contents

Spoiler

Welp. At least Linhardt is an option I like.

Maybe more S supports will be unlocked post timeskip? Please let that be the case.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

6 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Could the lack of the S support be because of what house they picked? If they picked Black Eagles, I would assume you can't S someone from another house that can't be recruited.

Well big oof...

Spoiler

I like Linhardt so I'm fine with him and I'm also a fan of Alois (despite the fact he seems to have a wife??? (presumed deceased I guess lol) and a child) but Gilbert? He seems like a weird choice to me.

Overall I'm not gonna complain, they could've given us nothing and hopefully the supports (especially with Alois since he will be who I marry) is cute. Though since Edelgard is an option, I really don't see why Dimitri and Claude couldn't have been. That way even, the supports would be an even 5:5.

Also speaking of trans rep, everyone seems to forget Kyza/Kysha from RD. Them being trans was JPN version only, but it still happened (they used traditionally female pronouns and also had a crush on Ranulf (it's why them and Lyra were rivals pretty much)). Tellius in general had decent LGBT rep even if it is mostly stereotypes that are very dated.

Edited by Azz

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

As far as trans representation goes there's indeed Vivian from Paper Mario, but I'm not sure she counts considering most versions of the game refuse to acknowledge she's trans. I was certainly surprised upon finding out. 

Wich is like saying that One Piece marine does not use guns because 4kids censored them. I'll stop before i start offending the United States.

5 minutes ago, EtherealStarlight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Could the lack of the S support be because of what house they picked? If they picked Black Eagles, I would assume you can't S someone from another house that can't be recruited.

They mentioned that they accessed this in a menu on the home screen which shows all the support options in the game, it's not based on the house they picked unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Hide contents

Now I'm really hoping there's more than 3 options because 2/3 of the options being old dudes, one who even has a wife, is not appealing in the slightest to me.

Hide contents

Welp. At least Linhardt is an option I like.

Maybe more S supports will be unlocked post timeskip? Please let that be the case.

Spoiler

Alois' wife is 100% going to die during the timeskip (or before, I guess). I'm personally fine with Gilbert and Alois, but they're no Claude that's for sure.

Linhardt's grown on me a lot, so he's probably my favorite of the bunch (though that might change later).

It would be cool if more S supports are unlocked after the timeskip, but I'm not going to get my hopes up (again). Maybe there will be other characters that they aren't allowed to talk about though.

4 minutes ago, EtherealStarlight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's a good idea, but they mentioned that it was in the Extras menu so I doubt it.

Spoiler

Wow Gilbert seems totally out of left field. And Alois despite his wife and kid? I hope that this is because they didn't pick golden deer and that Claude is still an option because otherwise I imagine this is pretty disappointing for the guys...

16 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Le sigh. This is the first time I've been actually disappointed with this game. More or less kills my desire to start with M!Byleth at least. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, Azz said:

Well big oof...

Reveal hidden contents

I like Linhardt so I'm fine with him and I'm also a fan of Alois (despite the fact he seems to have a wife??? (presumed deceased I guess lol) and a child) but Gilbert? He seems like a weird choice to me.

Overall I'm not gonna complain, they could've given us nothing and hopefully the supports (especially with Alois since he will be who I marry) is cute. Though since Edelgard is an option, I really don't see why Dimitri and Claude couldn't have been. That way even, the supports would be an even 5:5.

Spoiler

Alois being an option is interesting since I'm sure we're probably going to be a "second love" or something. I sincerely hope his kid survives. Certainly gives me "Dream Daddy" vibes.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Spoiler

Gilbert is an odd choice, can't say I feel anything for him as as an option. 

Alois is cute though, I'm happy to pair him with Byleth. A bit confused about the whole wife thing, but im assuming his wife dies at some point during the course of the game.