FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

Spoiler

Pretty sure Ashe and Caspar have an ending similar to that except "settle down" isn't in it. So yeah I think it's safe to argue Linhardt and Caspar's relationship is pretty gay coded.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Alois and Gilbert being platonic S supports makes a lot more sense. And I actually like the idea of platonic S supports. But having no indication they are platonic on the UI, and having more platonic M/M S supports than romantic ones? And only having one actual MLM relationship again? That is really, really bad. 

Also, I'm not a fan of all the "gay coding". We had same sex marriages in Fates, we should have moved past ambiguous coding by now. 

Edited by EJ107

1 hour ago, EJ107 said:

Also, I'm not a fan of all the "gay coding". We had same sex marriages in Fates, we should have moved past ambiguous coding by now. 

For non-Byleth supports it actually makes sense imo, you can hint at a relationship, but if a player wants to see just a strong friendship bond it works that way, too.

For Byleth it makes less sense unless the UI states explictly that it's not romance, otherwise it's misleading for the player (and it's not that hard, they could've just made it A+ or something).

That said I'm glad Alois and Gilbert aren't options, it felt really weird to me.

1 hour ago, EJ107 said:

Well, Alois and Gilbert being platonic S supports makes a lot more sense. And I actually like the idea of platonic S supports. But having no indication they are platonic on the UI, and having more platonic M/M S supports than romantic ones? And only having one actual MLM relationship again? That is really, really bad. 

I like platonic endings too but they really should make platonic endings A+ and not S. I find Byleth only having one mlm option (and is the most feminine looking male character in the whole game) a bit problematic though. Between this, Claude's flirting regardless of gender, all the 'gay coding' stuff, it almost feels a bit insulting. Either commit or don't, all the 'teasing' just makes people feel bad. 

27 minutes ago, CompteSecours said:

I'm so happy about this. It makes Byleth more like a real character.

FE is not an eroge game, period 😀

Try harder next time if you want to start an argument. 😄 

Edited by zuibangde

4 minutes ago, CompteSecours said:

What I mean is, if we throw away one of the billion romance for a different type or relationship (BFF, mentor, almost siblings etc), it can only be good.

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. I also really liked the platonic endings between characters during the GBA era. However, when mlm only gets 1 romantic option, wlw gets 3 and an 'endless' amount of straight relationships, it is a bit unfair no? Why should mlm be the ones that are 'sacrificed' for platonic endings?

Also apparently Linhardt's support convo is the same for both female and male Byleth? If it's true, not only did they only give one mlm option but they only bothered to change the pronouns?

Alright wow this is just super disappointing, and the fact that Linhardt's dialogue doesn't change between genders is even more of a slap in the face, and shows how much this doesn't matter to IS.

I really thought that Niles and Leon were the first step towards introducing even more inclusion into the games but it seems Three Houses won't change a thing.

I guess it makes sense that they're just platonic, I was very surprised they were options in the first place and thought it was a very original move on the part of IS, boy was I wrong on that one.

I'll still love this game like I do all FE games, it just sucks that it feels like we're moving backwards instead of forwards will all of this subtext crap again.

29 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Hide contents

Also apparently Linhardt's support convo is the same for both female and male Byleth? If it's true, not only did they only give one mlm option but they only bothered to change the pronouns?

I wonder if that's actually a Treehouse localization thing. Like how Zero had a different S support with M!Kamui but then Treehouse changed it so the Niles and Corrin have the same support regardless of gender.

Regardless, it is still crap and if it's not a localization thing then they have even less of an excuse for having Linhardt be the only option.

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, timon said:

For non-Byleth supports it actually makes sense imo, you can hint at a relationship, but if a player wants to see just a strong friendship bond it works that way, too.

I like that too, personally. People can interpret the game the way they want. But I can certainly understand the frustration.

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I like platonic endings too but they really should make platonic endings A+ and not S. I find Byleth only having one mlm option (and is the most feminine looking male character in the whole game) a bit problematic though.

Agreed. A+ would have been better to show platonic pairings. M!Avatar only having 1 male option is ridiculous! Some people like Linhardt just fine, but what of the people who want something different? They dropped the ball here. I'm not sure if it's the localization or what, but it's bad. I'm personally annoyed Rhea's endings with both Byleths are platonic, too. 

5 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

What? 

Well I don’t know I heard early in and never looked into it past that cause I don’t know much about localization companies and if that’s changed oh well don’t know don’t really care

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I wonder if that's actually a Treehouse localization thing. Like how Zero had a different S support with M!Kamui but then Treehouse changed it so the Niles and Corrin have the same support regardless of gender.

Regardless, it is still crap and if it's not a localization thing then they have even less of an excuse for having Linhardt be the only option.

Maybe someone should make a dedicated 3H Japanese-English Comparison Topic. That way all the back and forth comparison done on SF, and taken from elsewhere on the interwebs, can be discussed in an orderly fashion in one place.

I am actually amazed that it managed to get worse. I wasn't exactly thrilled with what it seemed like we had to begin with, but man, we didn't even get that? This is disappointing even compared to Fates and Echoes, never mind what we thought it was or what it could have been!

Spoiler

Alois is straight up disrespectful for not being marked as A+, and the unused flags and ambiguity with Caspar just make it hurt even more, because he would have been a perfectly great option if they were not, for some reason, afraid of any guys other than Linhardt being seen as "too gay". Even Linhardt/Caspar isn't super enjoyable because it's basically just Ike/Soren and I'm sure everyone here knows how desperate people are to shoot down the idea of that being anything other than pure platonic same-sex friendship.

I mean, the game still looks great, but damn if this isn't a massive slap in the face that it'll be hard not to think about while playing.

All the "FE isn't centered around romance" and "platonic supports are a good thing" I've seen surrounding this is cute, but when such ideals do not typically apply to straight people despite being forced on us, I'm not inclined to view these things as benevolence. I'd honestly rather such people just openly say they're happy that the gay options are trash instead of trying to mask it behind a "positive" reason.

"Well, those fujoshi will still draw their yaoi doujinshi, right?" - probably someone at Three Houses dev team.

I legitimately don't undestand how someone could see such disparity and say, "yes, that's okay". I sincerely hope people will complain and IS gets the note.

Oh, and if I read everything right, Rhea's situation is somehow worse than all possible theories about why Alois is S-option.

6 hours ago, CompteSecours said:

What I mean is, if we throw away one of the billion romance for a different type or relationship (BFF, mentor, almost siblings etc), it can only be good.

Sure, if we throw away one of the billion (straight) romances for that, good. But if we throw away two of the three m/m romances? Different story.

3 hours ago, iavasechui said:

Pretty sure treehouse did not localize this.

I can't confirm but I think you're right.

We know Cup of Tea Productions is doing the voice acting, and historically they've worked with 8-4 (the ones that localized Awakening and Echoes). So unless they've changed business partners, then Nintendo Treehouse probably didn't localize this game.

Edited by Stage7_4
grammar

They should have given 1 M/M and 1 F/F in each house.
B.E. having 2 F/F and the only M/M while B.L. has 1 F/F and G.D. getting nothing is really weird...

Edited by Tharne

6 hours ago, timon said:

For Byleth it makes less sense unless the UI states explictly that it's not romance, otherwise it's misleading for the player (and it's not that hard, they could've just made it A+ or something).

That said I'm glad Alois and Gilbert aren't options, it felt really weird to me.

To be honest I'd rather go the opposite direction and cut down the m/f Byleth S supports. The fact that the MC can still make any het romance they want in a game without a breeding mechanic is just pandering to straight people.

Hey!

So I've looked around and talked to a couple Nintendo reps. IT appears that the only way to contact them is the number +81-75-671-3100. I'm not actually sure if they're able to handle English requests, since the number appears to be identical to the one listed on their Japanese website, with the only different being the added 81 at the beginning which is Japan's country code. I haven't called to find out because it would cost me.

An alternative option could be to list your criticisms with Nintendo's own customer service (the Corporate Social Responsibility seems to be the most fitting), but I have no idea if that will actually reach IS

1 hour ago, Stage7_4 said:

I can't confirm but I think you're right.

We know Cup of Tea Productions is doing the voice acting, and historically they've worked with 8-4 (the ones that localized Awakening and Echoes). So unless they've changed business partners, then Nintendo Treehouse probably didn't localize this game.

While it's true that Cup of Tea has a history with 8-4, it's been long confirmed that 8-4 did not localize Three Houses, ergo it's almost certainly Treehouse. 

5 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I like that too, personally. People can interpret the game the way they want. But I can certainly understand the frustration.

Agreed. A+ would have been better to show platonic pairings. M!Avatar only having 1 male option is ridiculous! Some people like Linhardt just fine, but what of the people who want something different? They dropped the ball here. I'm not sure if it's the localization or what, but it's bad. I'm personally annoyed Rhea's endings with both Byleths are platonic, too. 

It is pretty bad but at the same time it's nice to see platonic endings come back. M|M deserved better though than only one option and Alois's ending is pretty insulting. Rhea's s-support is actually romantic between both genders, it's just that the ending can be viewed either way without prior context.

1 minute ago, ChickenBits said:

Rhea's s-support is actually romantic between both genders, it's just that the ending can be viewed either way without prior context.

Ah, thanks! I heard so many conflicting things about it. Looking on the spoiler thread, I found a text dump of the support. It was nice! For anyone who wants to see it who hasn't yet:

Spoiler

sySZVxk.jpg